• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Competitive Character Impressions 2.0

?

• Total voters

Lacrimosa

Smash Lord
It seems that Byleth has an issue against character than can outrange him in some regard or are fast enough that they can get in very easily or they can low-profile a lot of their stuff. Like, Fox isn't a character that outranges them but he is way too fast for them and he has a rather low dash profile. Kirby has a low profile and while the Belmonts aren't the fastest, they just have better projectiles.

And that's sadly at least 80% of the cast.

Last edited:

SwagGuy99

Smash Ace
The more I think about it, the more I realize that (on paper) Byleth probably doesn't win a single top tier matchup outside of :ultgnw: and there are a lot of characters that are potential top tiers at this point.
  • :ultfox: has a lot more speed than Byleth. It's kind of like his matchup with Bowser where it's incredibly volatile due to Bowser's range, speed, power, and survivability. Well, it would be if Byleth had better speed, power, and survivability. Which she doesn't. Probably a -1 matchup for Byleth.
  • :ultgreninja: goes even with or wins against most of the sword characters already, so him doing well against Byleth isn't too surprising. He's hard for her to hit, can deal a lot of damage if he wins neutral, hard to edgeguard, and has much better speed and frame-data. At least -1 for Byleth but probably -2 if I'm being honest.
  • :ultjoker: has better speed and kill power, and does a ton of damage when he breaks her defense. If he didn't have eiha or guns, approaching her might actually be a bit challenging for Joker, but since he has those, it's not that bad. Probably -1 for Byleth.
  • :ultmario: can approach Byleth due to his speed and she can die off of losing just one neutral interaction, since she doesn't really have any good options for landing or breaking out of combos. She can juggle Mario to an extent, and he might have trouble getting past her long ranged attacks, but approaching Byleth is nowhere near as hard for him as approaching Cloud or Lucina. -1 for Byleth.
  • :ultlucina: is faster than Byleth, can abuse her in disadvantage, and can approach Byleth. However, Byleth is actually OK at abusing Lucina's lack of landing options with up-smash and up-air and Lucina is much easier to hit than most of the top tiers due to being fairly tall. -1 or even for Byleth.
  • :ultpacman: can easily create a wall against Byleth with his aerials, hydrant, and fruits that make it very hard for Byleth to approach. She also can't really edgeguard him that well while he can edgeguard her. Pac-Man is also another smaller character that's harder to hit for Byleth. While Byleth can probably deal with hydrant better than most due to have some decent long ranged options to hit it with and she will probably survive for a while against him, it probably won't matter that much. Probably -1 for Byleth.
  • :ultpalutena: can just kind of combo and juggle Byleth forever. However, like Lucina, Palutena may have some trouble landing against Byleth and Palutena is a fairly easy character to hit since she can't really low profile like a lot of the other top tiers. -1 or even for Byleth.
  • :ultpeach: has turnips, combos, juggles, kill power, but Byleth might be able stop Peach from approaching and Byleth is able to juggle her with up-air. Probably even or -1 but I'm actually kind of leaning towards even.
  • :ultpikachu: edgeguards Byleth hard, hard to hit, better neutral, can't keep him out, combos and juggles her forever. -2 for Byleth.
  • :ultsquirtle: is literally Pikachu in this matchup but with a bit worse edgeguarding but is arguably even harder to hit. The rest of the PT characters don't matter much here until kill %'s, when Charizard is probably your best bet. Ivysaur actually is the easiest to abuse in disadvantage IMO since he's floaty, but still fairly easy to combo while still being light, so there's probably no reason to use him in this matchup. If I had to rank each Pokemon in this MU, Squirtle would be -2, Zard would be even or +1, and Ivy would be +1.
  • :ultrob: is fairly easy to abuse in disadvantage, but he can stop Byleth from approaching and he can edgeguard and juggle her really well. -1 or even for Byleth, IMO.
  • :ultroy:/:ultchrom: are kind of similar in this matchup. They both want to get in and deal a lot of damage, and Byleth's poor frame-data, lack of camping options, and lack of escape matchups make this very easy. Like some other top tiers, they can be abused in disadvantage and can get edgeguarded, but that's implying that Byleth will be able to land one of her combo starters on them or to not be Chromicided. Chrom is probably -1, while Roy might be -1 or even.
  • :ultshulk: has Monado Arts and can adapt to anything Byleth tries to throw at him. Not much to say here TBH. Somewhere between -1 and -2 for Byleth.
  • :ultsnake: can camp out Byleth but may actually have some trouble approaching her if the Snake player plays too aggressively. However, if the Snake player is patient and waits for an opening, this matchup shouldn't be too bad. -1 for Byleth.
  • :ultwario: can abuse Byleth in disadvantage, but he has to get in first, which is slightly challenging due to his poor range. However, like Byleth's matchup against Squirtle, Pikachu, or Mario, she takes so much damage just for losing neutral and gets edgeguarded hard enough for it to not matter. Most likely -1 for Byleth.
  • :ultwolf: is similar to Fox, but trades having better speed and recovery for having blaster and better survivability, which makes it incredibly hard for Byleth to approach him. Probably -1 for Byleth.
  • :ultzss: has no disadvantage state, can approach Byleth well, is hard to edgeguard, and is still hard to hit despite being fairly tall. I think it's going to be -1 or -2 for Byleth.
I don't really see Byleth winning any of these matchups, and there are very few characters that I can think of that lose to almost every potential top tier, and the characters that do (:ultganondorf::ultincineroar::ultlittlemac:) are not generally regarded as very good characters.

TLDR Byleth has almost no even or winning matchups against relevant Top Tier characters, and probably isn't very good.

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
View attachment 261472
Yeah, I think this is very speculative and extremely optimistic. These are the MU's I have the biggest issue with at a glance:
  • :ultbowser:is one of the faster characters in the game, can edgeguard Byleth efficiently, punishes most of Byleth's moves, is unaffected by rapid jab, but gets screwed over hard in disadvantage. I'm leaning towards even, but it might still be +1.
  • :ultridley: I agree with Minordeth. Probably still winning for Byleth, but he's still way faster than her, and can abuse most of her weaknesses quite well.
  • :ultfalco: is probably losing for Byleth. She has no answer for lasers, she gets comboed incredibly hard by him, gets juggled really well, and his edgeguarding on her is really good. At least -1 for Byleth.
  • :ulttoonlink: is probably even or losing for Byleth. He can really just zone her out with bombs and he's fast enough to approach her and run away from her if the situation requires it.
  • :ultrob: is losing for Byleth for similar reasons as Toon Link is IMO. He can camp Byleth really well and abuse her in disadvantage and he's another character with good edgeguarding options against her as well.
  • :ultmario: may struggle against most swordies, but Byleth is so slow and her disadvantage is so bad (compared to Mario at least) that Byleth can lose a stock from just losing one neutral interaction.
  • :ultpikachu::ultpichu::ultgreninja: and :ultsimon: probably need to be in a -2 section since I see all of these matchups being much worse than slight losing for Byleth.
In my opinion, I feel :ultlink: should also be in disadvantage for Byleth. Outspeeds her quite well and can camp her quite well with Boomerangs and Bombs and speaking of bombs, it can force Byleth to shield which can give Link the opportunity to put in quite a bit of pressure with Bomb drops, Bomb throws and Nair. Link can also be one of the characters that doesn't need to go deep to edgeguard Byleth and risk the Up B spike because of bombs. I think Link should also be -1 at least in theory.

Last edited:

Nah

Smash Champion
I don't think that short crouches are going to be as big of a deal as people think against Byleth, since side B cuts in an arc and Fsmash can be angled down, and on top of that the Sword of the Creator and Aymr have no problems hitting low profiles, but yeah, the character's likely going to have a not small amount of unfavorable matchups.

Lacrimosa

Smash Lord
I don't think that short crouches are going to be as big of a deal as people think against Byleth, since side B cuts in an arc and Fsmash can be angled down, and on top of that the Sword of the Creator and Aymr have no problems hitting low profiles, but yeah, the character's likely going to have a not small amount of unfavorable matchups.
SideB has way too much cooldown in order to be a neutral tool.
Shield it and you're fine and the low profile characters have decent speed so they get a good punish.

Last edited:

Wigglerman

Smash Ace
The angle even on the normal version is duckable by several characters. granted this would be a 'hard read' option as opposed to just jumping or blocking it but the right read on a straight smash could spell the end of a stock for Byleth. And always going for the low angle against such characters just to try to cover that option would be bad in itself as it'd just make it easier to jump over.

Also as Lacrimosa said, Sideb, let alone Fsmash it's not something you throw out in the neutral unless you like eating big punishes.

Last edited:

Nah

Smash Champion
I am aware that the lance is slow and laggy, I just don't get why people are acting as if you can crouch under all of Byleth's moves when it's just some of the lance ones+the bow (which you're not hitting anyone with in neutral anyway). You can't crouch under Ftilt or Dtilt, moves much more suited to neutral, so why are low profiles a game changer against Byleth in neutral?

Also the only way you're ducking under down angled Fsmash is if you're close to Byleth, and if you are, the Byleth ****ed up by pulling out Fsmash then.

NairWizard

Somewhere
I think Byleth is mediocre just like the rest of you, but some of you guys are jumping to conclusions way too quickly without any supporting evidence, or ignoring Byleth's advantages while looking at others' strengths.

He can edgeguard in the most braindead way like all tethers (Just drop hydrant off the side of the stage) and you'll likely kill her the first time she's off stage and is forced to recover low
Seems unlikely--tether characters can just instant tether to the ledge at anywhere between 0 and 45-degree angles. You can predict that angle based on her low air speed and hit her, but it's a pretty tight window. This strat might hit Byleth if she hangs below ledge, but if Byleth hangs below ledge and you hydrant from too far up she can tether to the ledge on reaction and not get hit, so you have to be precise here too. Certainly doesn't seem braindead. I can see it being used in conjunction with other setups to force an unfavorable option, though.

(Which is basically her only option)
You can drift toward ledge, side-b to bat away aerials, then airdodge.

:ultfox: has a lot more speed than Byleth.
And Byleth has a lot more range. You have to look at both sides of these matchups; listing the advantages of one only will lead to tunnel vision.

It's kind of like his matchup with Bowser
It's nothing like Bowser at all. Bowser is a different archetype.

Byleth-Fox may be in Fox's favor, but Byleth has a few things going for her that may push the matchup toward even. One is that Byleth destroys Fox's disadvantage state. Fox has a decent enough time landing in most matchups due to his fall speed, but Byleth has so much range that she frequently doesn't have to get into position to be able to juggle him. And offstage, some of her attacks, like side-b, cover almost all of Fox's recovery options at the same time. If Byleth can force Fox to recover even at a percent as low as 20% and predict the right option, Fox is just dead to a tippered f-smash. Most other characters can't say this against Fox, or even if they can, the range of options that they can predict is much smaller (for example, Ryu/Ken can play the prediction game as well but can't always convert a 2-frame into a kill).

:ultgreninja: goes even with or wins against most of the sword characters already,
Does he? I know our frog-playing friends in this thread believe this theory, but I'm skeptical. Stroder has said before that Lucina is one of Greninja's harder matchups, and Roy/Chrom/Shulk have the tools to keep it competitive. Yes, Greninja has great whiff punishing with dash attack--but that's also only one tool. Sword characters do better at keeping Greninja in disadvantage than the average character, outrange and outdisjoint him, and also can attack him from angles that are tricky for him to respond to.

When talking about Greninja's matchups, people reduce him to just "good dash attack and bad shield." They think he destroys Lucina while getting destroyed by Pikachu--when the reality is that he's likely even with both.

I do agree with your conclusion that Greninja beats Byleth, though, but for slightly different reasons. Greninja's Shuriken has a 20-frame startup, meaning that if Byleth starts Failnaught, assuming a total reaction time of roughly 20 frames, Greninja can actually fire Shuriken before Byleth can finish Failnaught. This means that Byleth must approach in the matchup, and that's pretty bad. She also doesn't have access to the diagonal angles that other swordies do.

:ultjoker: has better speed and kill power, and does a ton of damage when he breaks her defense. If he didn't have eiha or guns, approaching her might actually be a bit challenging for Joker, but since he has those, it's not that bad. Probably -1 for Byleth.
Joker has better kill power with Arsene, you mean. Joker isn't going to try to approach Byleth in the matchup. He's going to whiff punish her. Guns are great in this matchup because as with Greninja's shuriken, you can gun on reaction to Byleth using Failnaught. I don't have a strong opinion on this matchup, but it seems likely that Joker can Rebel's Guard pretty liberally here, so he likely has key advantages.

:ultmario: can approach Byleth due to his speed and she can die off of losing just one neutral interaction, since she doesn't really have any good options for landing or breaking out of combos. She can juggle Mario to an extent, and he might have trouble getting past her long ranged attacks, but approaching Byleth is nowhere near as hard for him as approaching Cloud or Lucina. -1 for Byleth.
It's true that approaching Cloud and Lucina (and Palutena, and Shulk) is much harder, but they also have less range than Byleth.

The biggest thing in this matchup is that Mario has to jump. Grounded approaches are just too slow against Byleth's huge range, and many of Mario's really good options are only accessible via jump. And when you jump, you put yourself in Byleth's hands. Mario's landing options are also vulnerable to Byleth up-air and up-smash--and he's got good air mobility, but he doesn't fall fast like Fox, so sometimes if you just use your air mobility to drift to ledge you can get f-smash tippered or side-b'd.

Speaking of side-b, side-b is the size of like 4 Marios.

It's worth noting, too, that Byleth has an f6 grab, same as Mario's.

Byleth has a lot going for her in this MU.

If it's -1, it'll be because of FLUDD, which will be incredibly strong in the neutral against Byleth. But until I see more of it on video, it sounds like an even matchup.

:ultlucina: is faster than Byleth, can abuse her in disadvantage, and can approach Byleth. However, Byleth is actually OK at abusing Lucina's lack of landing options with up-smash and up-air and Lucina is much easier to hit than most of the top tiers due to being fairly tall. -1 or even for Byleth.
You forgot the most important attribute for Lucina: range. She relies on outranging all of her opponents to win. Byleth can just use walking spacing in this matchup, baiting Lucina into whiffing and then punishing those whiffs from a safe range. If there's any top tier matchup that Byleth actually wins, it'll be this one, though I can certainly see it being even as well.

:ultpalutena: can just kind of combo and juggle Byleth forever. However, like Lucina, Palutena may have some trouble landing against Byleth and Palutena is a fairly easy character to hit since she can't really low profile like a lot of the other top tiers. -1 or even for Byleth.
Palutena is another character who loves to jump, and teleport recoveries are slightly easier to aim f-smashes again, but it's hard to say much else that's positive for Byleth in the matchup.

Palutena's explosive flame in particular seems hard for Byleth to deal with given that atrocious air speed. Seems like a -1 or -2 MU, agreed.

:ultsquirtle: is literally Pikachu in this matchup but with a bit worse edgeguarding but is arguably even harder to hit..
Pikachu has tjolt, which makes things really frustrating for Byleth, and more importantly, he's got Quick Attack to burst punish Byleth for jumping. Comparing the two is like comparing DK to Samus or something. Squirtle has to get in. Pikachu gets in for free. By comparison, Squirtle is an easy matchup.

:ultpeach: has turnips, combos, juggles, kill power, but Byleth might be able stop Peach from approaching and Byleth is able to juggle her with up-air. Probably even or -1 but I'm actually kind of leaning towards even.
Peach is floaty, likes to be in the air, has an atrocious airdodge, and turnips function best at a range where Byleth can jump f-air. Failnaught pressure is good against Peach too. This seems either even or +1 Byleth.

:ultpikachu: edgeguards Byleth hard, hard to hit, better neutral, can't keep him out, combos and juggles her forever. -2 for Byleth.
I think that Pikachu is overrated in general, but I agree. This matchup is really, really bad. Tjolt is hard to deal with and cancels Failnaught pressure (kind of; if you parry it after a Failnaught you can still hit Pikachu, so the Pika has to be careful), and Pikachu can juggle her for a very long time given her options to land.

SideB has way too much cooldown in order to be a neutral tool.
I agree, but it's not too bad as a callout when your opponent is already in the air. What are they going to do? Airdodge? You have frame advantage for sure against most airdodges.

I don't think that short crouches are going to be as big of a deal as people think against Byleth
Crouch is pretty good against an aerial Byleth, but I agree (not because of side-b/f-smash though). Since crouch leaves you more or less stationary (unless you can crawl!), it's not much different from shielding. The difference is that some characters don't have good options out of shield, but nearly everyone has good options out of crouch, so what this does is create additional options for shorter characters.

:ultrob: is fairly easy to abuse in disadvantage, but he can stop Byleth from approaching and he can edgeguard and juggle her really well. -1 or even for Byleth, IMO.
ROB gets way too many 0 to deaths against Byleth for me to make an analysis comfortably. I have to see it in practice, but I think Zackray would absolutely decimate MKLeo in this matchup. My gut says it's -2 for Byleth.

:ultroy:/:ultchrom: are kind of similar in this matchup. They both want to get in and deal a lot of damage, and Byleth's poor frame-data, lack of camping options, and lack of escape matchups make this very easy. Like some other top tiers, they can be abused in disadvantage and can get edgeguarded, but that's implying that Byleth will be able to land one of her combo starters on them or to not be Chromicided. Chrom is probably -1, while Roy might be -1 or even.
Byleth outranges them, which is a pretty big deal in a sword vs. sword matchup. Byleth also has some very safe options for dealing with Chrom's recovery without getting killed. Most importantly, perhaps: the two of them have some very poor air acceleration, so once they're in the air, they're vulnerable to lots and lots of things that other characters with better accel wouldn't be.

I would think that these are even matchups.

:ultshulk: has Monado Arts and can adapt to anything Byleth tries to throw at him. Not much to say here TBH. Somewhere between -1 and -2 for Byleth.
This matchup, as with most of Shulk's matchups, sounds so complicated that I can't possibly fathom it, let alone give it a rating.

:ultsnake: can camp out Byleth but may actually have some trouble approaching her if the Snake player plays too aggressively. However, if the Snake player is patient and waits for an opening, this matchup shouldn't be too bad. -1 for Byleth.
Snake's actually pretty slow, and none of his moves are safe on shield (except d-tilt, sometimes). Failnaught is great pressure in this matchup since grenades don't explode instantly. Maybe most importantly, Snake's disadvantage is total Byleth fodder. You can't just up-b high to recover and b-reverse since Byleth covers so many options so well.

I would think there's a +1 waiting to happen for Byleth here, just by gut reaction.

:ultwario: can abuse Byleth in disadvantage, but he has to get in first, which is slightly challenging due to his poor range. However, like Byleth's matchup against Squirtle, Pikachu, or Mario, she takes so much damage just for losing neutral and gets edgeguarded hard enough for it to not matter. Most likely -1 for Byleth.
I don't think the numbers are that bad for Byleth here. Wario's usual approach game against sword characters is f-air from aerials drift-ins. Note that key word: aerial. Wario wants to be in the air. Byleth loves when you're in the air.

Byleth will probably do just fine vs. Wario overall. She'll keep Wario out more than Lucina would, since she's less vulnerable to random Wario f-airs, and will hit Wario harder when he's in disadvantage, but she'll take more damage in disadvantage, too.

:ultwolf: is similar to Fox, but trades having better speed and recovery for having blaster and better survivability, which makes it incredibly hard for Byleth to approach him. Probably -1 for Byleth.
Blaster's transcendence is actually pretty important here in the neutral. I can see this matchup as being -1, but I think Byleth also has plenty of room to develop edgeguarding against Wolf in particular, and he has a harder time landing than Fox.

:ultzss: has no disadvantage state
This is just not true. Flip Jump is great, but it doesn't mean that she's never in a bad position, especially when she's outranged.

can approach Byleth well
ZSS doesn't approach. She whiff punishes. She's the campiest character in the entire game.

I think overall ZSS seems like a losing matchup, but she does struggle in the neutral vs. patient swordplay. She also doesn't have projectiles that force Byleth to approach; Failnaught is fine pressure vs. paralyzer/z-air/side-b. And, like many of the characters on this list, ZSS likes to jump. So Byleth has tools that keep it competitive.

In sum, I think Byleth has some hard matchups in top tier, but also has some pretty decent/even ones. I also think that she succeeds in some matchups that others would struggle a lot in--Ness and Ice Climbers, to name a couple. Let's not bandwagon the "Byleth is terrible and loses everything" meme too hard, even if we can agree that Byleth is substandard.

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord
So R.O.B, the bot continues to just keep getting resutls. Grayson won SSFC2 , while only a C-Tier, Grayson did get wins over the likes of Elegant and MastaMario to win (with Mario Bros apparently being really bad MU's for R.O.B) Plus Zackray winning Sumbamoto 12, and just while he did use like 4-5 other characters, he did win GF with R.O.B vs Kome in a pretty dominant fashion.

Okay, R.O.B is very good despite his weaknesses and many losing top-tier MU's on paper. But his advantage state is completely disgusting no matter what character he is against. Its almost like :4zss: where she had quite a few losing MU's vs other top and high tiers (:4cloud2::4diddy::4sheik::4pikachu::4bayonetta:) yes. Buthen she gets one good opening or confirm and suddenly one of your stocks is gone before you can blink

Last edited:

Nathan Richardson

Smash Ace
NNID
Zeratrix
Ivysaur blows Byleth out of the water because ivysaur has similar if not better frame data than them. Their aerial attacks by themselves put Byleth on the back foot not to mention Ivysaur's razor leaf had better frame data than failnaught even if it is linear. I just don't see where Byleth beats ivysaur at other than sheer shield pressure and ivysaur 9 times out of 10 outranges Byleth as well.

The only thing Byleth has going for it in the matchup is uair juggles but ivysaur forces Byleth to approach with bullet seed and razor leaf and we all know about Byleth's horrific overall mobility, ivysaur can camp byleth for free while Byleth has to jump in and approach due to failnaught being outframed by razorleaf. True ivysaur doesn't have squirtle's mobility or charizard's weight but it doesn't need it as it's aerials and tilts outbutton Byleth not to mention being the only one of PT's team with actual useable projectile attacks.

Last edited:

Wigglerman

Smash Ace
I think Byleth is mediocre just like the rest of you, but some of you guys are jumping to conclusions way too quickly without any supporting evidence, or ignoring Byleth's advantages while looking at others' strengths.

Seems unlikely--tether characters can just instant tether to the ledge at anywhere between 0 and 45-degree angles. You can predict that angle based on her low air speed and hit her, but it's a pretty tight window. This strat might hit Byleth if she hangs below ledge, but if Byleth hangs below ledge and you hydrant from too far up she can tether to the ledge on reaction and not get hit, so you have to be precise here too. Certainly doesn't seem braindead. I can see it being used in conjunction with other setups to force an unfavorable option, though.

Tell that to tether characters who get pre-emptive bonked by hydrant. The goal is to have it falling before their tether hits and they zip line up. Joker, ZSS, Lucas, Belmonts, Byleth get bodied by this if they're recovering low to use their tether. Generally by the time their tether has made contact and their entering the initial inward swing the hydrant is bonking them. Those who are better at teching the stage bonk that often follows are chewed up by the follow up down air from pac and the final hit just ends their stock. It's pretty brain dead and low risk. Even if they manage to 'insta tether' back up and dodge the hydrant it's still rough for them as Hydrant placement near ledge can really screw with their options. Guarding Byleth in specific is one of the easier tethers to deal with in my opinion and due to Hydrant being a big active hitbox the entire way down and how Pac can easily stay out of range of the whip so he doesn't get snipe spiked by it...again, brain dead and low to no risk and almost always reward.

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Ivysaur blows Byleth out of the water because ivysaur has similar if not better frame data than them. Their aerial attacks by themselves put Byleth on the back foot not to mention Ivysaur's razor leaf had better frame data than failnaught even if it is linear. I just don't see where Byleth beats ivysaur at other than sheer shield pressure and ivysaur 9 times out of 10 outranges Byleth as well.

The only thing Byleth has going for it in the matchup is uair juggles but ivysaur forces Byleth to approach with bullet seed and razor leaf and we all know about Byleth's horrific overall mobility, ivysaur can camp byleth for free while Byleth has to jump in and approach due to failnaught being outframed by razorleaf. True ivysaur doesn't have squirtle's mobility or charizard's weight but it doesn't need it as it's aerials and tilts outbutton Byleth not to mention being the only one of PT's team with actual useable projectile attacks.
I think Byleth's fair/bair probably outrange Ivy fair a tiny bit, but I'd have to test to be certain. i doubt Ivy bair outranges either though. Byleth d-ftilt is a better midrange tool then any of Ivy's options.

Razor Leaf still forces Byleth to approach which is a pain for them, but one they push Ivyaaur into the corner they can probably turn things around fast. Ivy hates the corner and hates being juggled, and Byleth excells at exploiting both weaknesses.

This is entirely theoretical but if i had to guess I'd probably place the matchup as -1, Ivysaur's favor. They can camp Byleth at long range but they have to be very careful not to give up too much stage control while doing so.

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord

And Byleth has a lot more range. You have to look at both sides of these matchups; listing the advantages of one only will lead to tunnel vision.

Byleth-Fox may be in Fox's favor, but Byleth has a few things going for her that may push the matchup toward even. One is that Byleth destroys Fox's disadvantage state. Fox has a decent enough time landing in most matchups due to his fall speed, but Byleth has so much range that she frequently doesn't have to get into position to be able to juggle him. And offstage, some of her attacks, like side-b, cover almost all of Fox's recovery options at the same time. If Byleth can force Fox to recover even at a percent as low as 20% and predict the right option, Fox is just dead to a tippered f-smash. Most other characters can't say this against Fox, or even if they can, the range of options that they can predict is much smaller (for example, Ryu/Ken can play the prediction game as well but can't always convert a 2-frame into a kill).

Does he? I know our frog-playing friends in this thread believe this theory, but I'm skeptical. Stroder has said before that Lucina is one of Greninja's harder matchups, and Roy/Chrom/Shulk have the tools to keep it competitive. Yes, Greninja has great whiff punishing with dash attack--but that's also only one tool. Sword characters do better at keeping Greninja in disadvantage than the average character, outrange and outdisjoint him, and also can attack him from angles that are tricky for him to respond to.

When talking about Greninja's matchups, people reduce him to just "good dash attack and bad shield." They think he destroys Lucina while getting destroyed by Pikachu--when the reality is that he's likely even with both.

I do agree with your conclusion that Greninja beats Byleth, though, but for slightly different reasons. Greninja's Shuriken has a 20-frame startup, meaning that if Byleth starts Failnaught, assuming a total reaction time of roughly 20 frames, Greninja can actually fire Shuriken before Byleth can finish Failnaught. This means that Byleth must approach in the matchup, and that's pretty bad. She also doesn't have access to the diagonal angles that other swordies do.

Joker has better kill power with Arsene, you mean. Joker isn't going to try to approach Byleth in the matchup. He's going to whiff punish her. Guns are great in this matchup because as with Greninja's shuriken, you can gun on reaction to Byleth using Failnaught. I don't have a strong opinion on this matchup, but it seems likely that Joker can Rebel's Guard pretty liberally here, so he likely has key advantages.

It's true that approaching Cloud and Lucina (and Palutena, and Shulk) is much harder, but they also have less range than Byleth.

The biggest thing in this matchup is that Mario has to jump. Grounded approaches are just too slow against Byleth's huge range, and many of Mario's really good options are only accessible via jump. And when you jump, you put yourself in Byleth's hands. Mario's landing options are also vulnerable to Byleth up-air and up-smash--and he's got good air mobility, but he doesn't fall fast like Fox, so sometimes if you just use your air mobility to drift to ledge you can get f-smash tippered or side-b'd.

If it's -1, it'll be because of FLUDD, which will be incredibly strong in the neutral against Byleth. But until I see more of it on video, it sounds like an even matchup.

You forgot the most important attribute for Lucina: range. She relies on outranging all of her opponents to win. Byleth can just use walking spacing in this matchup, baiting Lucina into whiffing and then punishing those whiffs from a safe range. If there's any top tier matchup that Byleth actually wins, it'll be this one, though I can certainly see it being even as well.

Palutena is another character who loves to jump, and teleport recoveries are slightly easier to aim f-smashes again, but it's hard to say much else that's positive for Byleth in the matchup.

Palutena's explosive flame in particular seems hard for Byleth to deal with given that atrocious air speed. Seems like a -1 or -2 MU, agreed.

Pikachu has tjolt, which makes things really frustrating for Byleth, and more importantly, he's got Quick Attack to burst punish Byleth for jumping. Comparing the two is like comparing DK to Samus or something. Squirtle has to get in. Pikachu gets in for free. By comparison, Squirtle is an easy matchup.

Peach is floaty, likes to be in the air, has an atrocious airdodge, and turnips function best at a range where Byleth can jump f-air. Failnaught pressure is good against Peach too. This seems either even or +1 Byleth.

I think that Pikachu is overrated in general, but I agree. This matchup is really, really bad. Tjolt is hard to deal with and cancels Failnaught pressure (kind of; if you parry it after a Failnaught you can still hit Pikachu, so the Pika has to be careful), and Pikachu can juggle her for a very long time given her options to land.

I agree, but it's not too bad as a callout when your opponent is already in the air. What are they going to do? Airdodge? You have frame advantage for sure against most airdodges.

Crouch is pretty good against an aerial Byleth, but I agree (not because of side-b/f-smash though). Since crouch leaves you more or less stationary (unless you can crawl!), it's not much different from shielding. The difference is that some characters don't have good options out of shield, but nearly everyone has good options out of crouch, so what this does is create additional options for shorter characters.

ROB gets way too many 0 to deaths against Byleth for me to make an analysis comfortably. I have to see it in practice, but I think Zackray would absolutely decimate MKLeo in this matchup. My gut says it's -2 for Byleth.

Byleth outranges them, which is a pretty big deal in a sword vs. sword matchup. Byleth also has some very safe options for dealing with Chrom's recovery without getting killed. Most importantly, perhaps: the two of them have some very poor air acceleration, so once they're in the air, they're vulnerable to lots and lots of things that other characters with better accel wouldn't be.

This matchup, as with most of Shulk's matchups, sounds so complicated that I can't possibly fathom it, let alone give it a rating.

Snake's actually pretty slow, and none of his moves are safe on shield (except d-tilt, sometimes). Failnaught is great pressure in this matchup since grenades don't explode instantly. Maybe most importantly, Snake's disadvantage is total Byleth fodder. You can't just up-b high to recover and b-reverse since Byleth covers so many options so well.

I would think there's a +1 waiting to happen for Byleth here, just by gut reaction.

I don't think the numbers are that bad for Byleth here. Wario's usual approach game against sword characters is f-air from aerials drift-ins. Note that key word: aerial. Wario wants to be in the air. Byleth loves when you're in the air.

Byleth will probably do just fine vs. Wario overall. She'll keep Wario out more than Lucina would, since she's less vulnerable to random Wario f-airs, and will hit Wario harder when he's in disadvantage, but she'll take more damage in disadvantage, too.

Blaster's transcendence is actually pretty important here in the neutral. I can see this matchup as being -1, but I think Byleth also has plenty of room to develop edgeguarding against Wolf in particular, and he has a harder time landing than Fox.

This is just not true. Flip Jump is great, but it doesn't mean that she's never in a bad position, especially when she's outranged.

ZSS doesn't approach. She whiff punishes. She's the campiest character in the entire game.

I think overall ZSS seems like a losing matchup, but she does struggle in the neutral vs. patient swordplay. She also doesn't have projectiles that force Byleth to approach; Failnaught is fine pressure vs. paralyzer/z-air/side-b. And, like many of the characters on this list, ZSS likes to jump. So Byleth has tools that keep it competitive.

In sum, I think Byleth has some hard matchups in top tier, but also has some pretty decent/even ones. I also think that she succeeds in some matchups that others would struggle a lot in--Ness and Ice Climbers, to name a couple. Let's not bandwagon the "Byleth is terrible and loses everything" meme too hard, even if we can agree that Byleth is substandard.

Byleth is hardly the worst character in the game and may very well do "okay " vs some top tiers. But then again many mid tier characters have one or two top-tier MU's they can do well against so Byleth is not special in that regard. I think the issue here is that so many players, even pro players seem to have a lot of blind optimism for a character that is obviously very flawed. As I mentioned it before many pro players seem hellbent on making Byleth work at a top competive level when Byleth, solo at least is likey going to struggle one people get used to playing agaisnt him/her and better exploit their weaknesses . I just ask the question, out of all the (not :ultjoker:) DLC characters that are , why Byleth?

Last edited:

Nathan Richardson

Smash Ace
NNID
Zeratrix
Byleth is hardly the worst character in the game I think the issue here is that so many players, even pro players seem to have a lot of blind optimism for a character that is obviously very flawed. As I mentioned it before many pro players seem hellbent on making Byleth work at a top competive level when Byleth, on her own anyway is likey going to struggle. I just ask the question, out of all the DLC characters, why Byleth?
Mainly because, and this is just opinion from some players so don't quote me on this, Byleth is a fun character to play. I've seen several twitter posts describing just how much fun it is to play Byleth. I don't know what Byleth's 'fun factor' is but they have it.

Wigglerman

Smash Ace
Mainly because, and this is just opinion from some players so don't quote me on this, Byleth is a fun character to play. I've seen several twitter posts describing just how much fun it is to play Byleth. I don't know what Byleth's 'fun factor' is but they have it.
I just think Byleth's kit is fun. It's a strange style compared to how rather 'rush down' or combo heavy most the upper tier characters tend to play. You play this weird 'wall' style of poke, prod and trap. Makes them feel different enough from the rest of the FE crew and Byleth's hard hitting moves feel super satisfying when they work.

boysilver400

Smash Apprentice
I'm convinced :ultrob: is definitely a top tier, awful disadvantage or not. His results keep getting better and his kit is frightening enough to be a top tier threat imo.

Also to the person who said Ridley being bad was why Byleth auto wins the mu, when are we going to learn that tier list placements don't dictate matchups? The way a characters kits interact with other characters is what determines a mu chart. I've seen way too many matchup charts that just throw all the obscure low tiers in +2 or +1 despite the fact that they most likely have no experience against that character. You can say that :ultkirby::ultpalutena: is an even mu or :ultisabelle:does decently against:ultsnake: and you'll get clowned on because, "lol how ur character sux lmao"

TennisBall

Smash Journeyman
A decent amount of top players have been putting :ultcloud: in high tier with the buffs that have recently been added. Personally, I think it's still a little early to be jumping to conclusions so early, but to their credit, Sparg0 has been doing very well as of late and Masashi got 9th with solo Cloud at this recent Sumabato tournament.

I've always had a higher opinion of Cloud than most, and I certainly never understood putting the character in low tier like some people did. Than again, these were top players that have much more experience than I do so take my opinion with a grain of salt.
I think the character could be high tier, but at the moment I'm feeling high mid with the character.

Wigglerman

Smash Ace
A decent amount of top players have been putting :ultcloud: in high tier with the buffs that have recently been added. Personally, I think it's still a little early to be jumping to conclusions so early, but to their credit, Sparg0 has been doing very well as of late and Masashi got 9th with solo Cloud at this recent Sumabato tournament.

I've always had a higher opinion of Cloud than most, and I certainly never understood putting the character in low tier like some people did. Than again, these were top players that have much more experience than I do so take my opinion with a grain of salt.
I think the character could be high tier, but at the moment I'm feeling high mid with the character.
I think what killed Cloud early in this game was his limit was incredibly slow to charge. Like...REALLY slow. The buff to the charge speed was no small increment. It's substantially faster and he can actually get it more than once or twice a stock which not only improves his ability to recover safely but get burst KO options more often. The change to make Climbhazard snap earlier makes it just a tiny bit more difficult to gimp him/2 frame him which is a very, very nice quality of life change. Before he was just SUPER ease to poke when he tried to recover because the snap animation took forever and even just a fraction too high when doing the move meant you'd be bopped from the lip of the stage before snapping. I feel those were the two big ones to really push him up a bit on the radar. Then every other change he got was just icing. I don't think he's quite Smash 4 levels of godly but he might put himself back on the map as being fairly solo viable and will quickly become a big threat in Doubles like before, IMO. Hopefully not 2 Clouds per team levels of dumb but still goodly stronk.

Last edited:

NairWizard

Somewhere
Tell that to tether characters who get pre-emptive bonked by hydrant. The goal is to have it falling before their tether hits and they zip line up. Joker, ZSS, Lucas, Belmonts, Byleth get bodied by this if they're recovering low to use their tether. Generally by the time their tether has made contact and their entering the initial inward swing the hydrant is bonking them..

I watched MKLeo vs. Tea from Summit 2 again and this literally never came up, ever, not once, when Leo was tethering. Across 4 games. Sometimes, hydrant hit Arsene up-b, yes, but not regular Joker--tether is just too fast for this to be a reliable general strategy. Instead, I saw Tea use a combination of apple, orange, d-air, f-air, bell, and all the other obnoxiously good Pacman tools to trap Leo.

Even if they manage to 'insta tether' back up and dodge the hydrant it's still rough for them as Hydrant placement near ledge can really screw with their options.
Wait, what? How is the hydrant near the ledge when you just dropped it below the stage?

...again, brain dead and low to no risk and almost always reward.
It's not about risk-reward when you're talking about ledgetrapping/edgeguarding, at least not in isolation.

When you're in advantage, almost everything you do offers high reward for little risk. It's like playing with a hand of 7 to your opponent's hand of 3. You've got more options, less risky options, and more rewarding options--because you're in advantage. You can pick some of the worst options you have available, and still they're "pretty good" relative to what the opponent can do in disadvantage.

What you have to consider when weighing the merit of an option in advantage is the opportunity cost.

(I'm pretty sure everyone here knows what that is, but just in case, an aside. Let's say I offer you a $5 bill in one hand and a $1 bill in the other hand. Then I tell you that you can only take one of them. You choose the $1. Here you've gained a dollar--but you've also lost $5. That's the opportunity cost.)

When you go for one option in advantage, there are a dozen other options that you aren't picking. So it's not just about how much risk you're taking and how much reward you're getting, but how much risk you could be taking, and how much reward you could be getting, instead.

I'm not a Pacman player, but it seems to me that when Pacman does this hydrant thing to spike a tether, sure, sometimes he may get the hit, but most of the time the tether just snaps to the ledge. And why would he do that when he can use a host of other setups? In particular, as you said, "hydrant placement near the ledge can really screw with their options"--indeed, this is more consistent and reliable, so I would think that the Pacman player should go for this instead of wasting the hydrant in an attempt to intercept a tether.

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
Many PGR'ed events this weekend.

Sumabato SP 12 (B Tier)
1st: Zackray:ultrob::ultjoker::ultwolf::ultpalutena:Byleth:ultmario:
2nd: Kome:ultshulk:
3rd: Sigma:ulttoonlink:
4th: Kuro:ultzss:
5th: HIKARU:ultdk:
5th: Atelier:ultpokemontrainerf::ultwolf::ultpalutena:
7th: Shissho:ultdoc:
7th: KEN:ultsonic:
9th: Epagon:ultgnw:
9th: Masashi:ultcloud:
9th: Lv.1:ulttoonlink:
9th: Parme:ultsamus:
13th: Tsumusuto:ultdoc::ultgunner:
13th: Oisiitofu:ultgreninja:
13th: Nishiya:ultfalcon:
13th: Luminous:ultjoker::ultcloud:

Karisuma SP 8 (C Tier)
1st: Masha:ultwolf:
2nd: kept:ultvillager::ultisabelle:
3rd: DIO:ultsnake:
4th: takera:ultken::ult_terry:
5th: dk:ultpalutena:
5th: TRIGGER:ultsimon:
7th: Brave:ultwolf:
7th: Yuzu:ultrosalina:
9th: YB:ultdarksamus:
9th: KushikatsuUmaina:ulticeclimbers:
9th: Hidakadrapion:ultpacman:
9th: Bokinchan:ultike:

Smash That Ash (C Tier) *Philippines tournament
1st: PSI Force:ultness:
2nd: Hashibobo:ultbanjokazooie::ultdiddy:
3rd: NBD:ultbowser::ultryu::ultdk:
4th: Stardust:ultinkling:
5th: Smegaman:ulthero:
5th: CHEESE:ultpichu:

Safe On Shield II (C Tier) *Spain tournament
1st: S:ultinkling:
2nd: AndresFn:ultryu::ultken:
3rd: Perla:ultolimar:
4th: Pepo:ultinkling::ultpokemontrainer:
5th: Aolego:ultdk::ultwario:
5th: Kratogans:ultsnake:
7th: Ragda:ultbayonetta:
7th: Dabif:ultwolf:

Float (C Tier)
1st: Riddles:ult_terry::ultjoker:
2nd: Jw:ultgreninja:
3rd: Blacktwins:ultpichu::ultmario::ultroy:
4th: Aden:ultsnake:
5th: Burst:ultinkling::ultyoshi:
5th: Grape:ultsnake:
7th: blanc:ultfalco:
7th: Baki:ultike:

Super Smash Fight Club 2 (C Tier)
1st: Grayson:ultrob:
2nd: Ismon:ultwario::ultfalco:
3rd: MastaMario:ultmario:
4th: N:ultken:
5th: Elegant:ultluigi:
5th: Waltz:ultmegaman:
7th: Niko:ultcloud:
7th: BluStriker:ultsonic:
9th: ben:ultshulk:
9th: zael:ultpokemontrainer:
9th: Shadow_PR:ultbayonetta1::ultpalutena:
9th: Brr:ult_terry::ultinkling:

SKL: Prairie Pummel (C Tier)
1st: Lemmon:ultjoker:
2nd: Big D:ulticeclimbers:
3rd: Exodia:ultzss:
4th: Pasta B0i:ultsnake:
5th: Machu:ultrob::ultbanjokazooie:
5th: Scubbss:ultcloud:
7th: Marf:ultzelda:
7th: Nurse:ultwario::ultfalcon:
9th: king_chris:ultzss:
9th: Alphicans:ultpokemontrainer::ultyounglink:
9th: Amphabulous:ultsamus:
9th: Chaizord:ultjoker:

TSC 12 (C Tier)
1st: konbu:ultroy::ultchrom::ultswordfighter:
2nd: Kare:ultwolf:
3rd: Some:ultgreninja:
4th: Ke-ya:ultrobin::ultcorrinf:
5th: Zuke:ultluigi:
5th: JILL:ultfox:
7th: Tenra:ultpalutena:
7th: Shiki:ultgreninja:
9th: Kuroitsu:ultrobin:
9th: Aygoski:ultolimar:
9th: Arc:ultwolf::ultluigi:
9th: Rattsu:ultgreninja:

The PG team wasn't lying when they said that they are spreading their wings to more regions.
Now with how many events there are this weekend, we can relax next weekend because there are so far no events next weekend.

However, in the next two weekends, we have three events, one of which being the next S tier event: Frostbite 2020.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548

Pikachu's Thunder Jolt versus Failnaught is weird. A lot of the times I've tried challenging, the arrow somehow slips right through the bouncing bolt. It discourages grounded chasing of the bolt at the very least.

What does Gun do against Failnaught pressure exactly? You have to be pretty close for the bullets to actually stop Byleth from firing, and if you're that close it's probably not a good idea to use the bow anyway.

Everyone says Shulk just needs to do Speed to walk all over Byleth, but that Art is only active for so long, and can be fairly easily stalled or at least mitigated by platforms due to it's lower jump height (which can also somewhat make him more susceptible to Failnaught in some ways). And like you've mentioned for a lot of these, Shulk is another jump-happy opponent that Byleth can actually contend with in reach, and isn't terribly good at baiting if Speed is not available due in part to bad air accel.

Last edited:

Nate1080

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nate1080
I just read the last page or two, I find it funny that after top players post a Byleth match up chart, everyone’s coming out of the woodwork saying how almost every character pretty much wins the Byleth match.

I’m not saying their wrong or right, just an observation.

And although I personally think Byleth is going to end up being a low tier, I don’t think they’re as bad as people making it out to be. People weren’t even this down on Plant and Plant was arguably a much worse DLC character on release than Byleth.

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord
Well more some more positive Byleth talk at a Mexcian tournament Smash Vertex and yet more more C-tier event. A player called Blade beat Sparg0 :ultcloud::ultinkling:3-1 using Byleth. that was not the only upset too with Yei :ultmetaknight:3-1 on Maister :ultgnw:

Update, Chag :ultpalutena:3-2 Maister:ultgnw: So both Maister and Sparg0 who were likely the top 2 seeds at the tourament are eliminated.

Some pretty interesting events that happened in all the tournaments this week despite not being relatively big events

Last edited:

KirbySquad101

Smash Ace
I'm not sure who's counting, after winning Smash Vertex, I believe this makes the THIRD Mexican tournament Meme :ultyoshi: has won this season. Fourth if you count his Top 2 disqualification at BIT MASTER MTY 8.

...Am I the only who's thinking that now may be a good time to start talking about everyone's favorite green dinosaur?

Last edited:

Minordeth

Smash Ace
Using Byleth, Blade beat Spargo's :ultcloud:and :ultinkling:and Chag's :ultpalutena:(and :ultinkling:).

Of note, Blade got excellent mileage out of Nair into various confirms, including to kill with dash attack, and was generally a monster at the ledge. He made good usage out of FN to force recovery options, and to bait out Chag using Palu's counter (which netted him some decent punishes). Of note, Byleth has a Dtilt into Uair kill confirm, and DI out doesn't seem to affect it too much, considering how Dtilt scoops opponents into Byleth, and how massive Uair is.

And I swear he challenged Palu's Nair with Byleth's Nair OOS and won, although I'd need to test that to see what the actual interaction tends to be.

As for the return of :ultmetaknight:, Yei used him throughout the tournament, but really got mileage out of him against Maister. After going down a game with his :ultchrom:, he switched to MK and literally ladder comboed :ultgnw:to death off of one conversion. He then proceeded to do it again. Maister managed to take a stock before Yei took the game and evened the set count up.

What followed was a crazy tense set of crazy deep edgeguards and wild, bait heavy footsies. Maister managed to adjust somewhat, but an unfortunate SD in game 4 ensured that his initial loss was never avenged.

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
Although I don't see Smash Vertex in the PGR'ed event chart, might as well post the results here:

1st: Meme:ultyoshi:
2nd: Yei:ultmetaknight::ultrobin::ultjoker::ultchrom:
3rd: Blade (Byleth):ultroy: (Now I really can't wait for a Byleth stock icon lol)
4th: Chag:ultpalutena::ultinkling:
5th: Maister:ultgnw:
5th: Sparg0:ultcloud:
7th: MKBigBoss:ultrob:
7th: Skyjay:ultincineroar:
9th: Emm:ultinkling::ultwario:
9th: Joker:ultkrool::ultdarksamus::ultsamus::ultridley:
9th: Gera:ultcloud:
9th: Bernie:ultlink:
13th: Pain:ultzss:
13th: YoungBasedLord:ultwolf:
13th: Wonf:ultjoker::ultinkling:
13th: Leaf:ultbayonetta::ultpeach:
17th: CK:ultrob:
17th: Sou:ultdk:
17th: Hyuga:ulttoonlink:
17th: PS Mauu:ultken:
17th: Nair^:ultridley: (DQ'ed in losers)
17th: D.POLLO:ultbowser:
17th: Javi:ultlucina::ultsheik:
17th: Keitaro:ultsnake:

PURGE THEM LIKE THE

Smash Apprentice
Everyone says Shulk just needs to do Speed to walk all over Byleth, but that Art is only active for so long, and can be fairly easily stalled or at least mitigated by platforms due to it's lower jump height (which can also somewhat make him more susceptible to Failnaught in some ways). And like you've mentioned for a lot of these, Shulk is another jump-happy opponent that Byleth can actually contend with in reach, and isn't terribly good at baiting if Speed is not available due in part to bad air accel.
You'd need to be on either the high battlefield platform or the high platform on t&c to not have to worry about Shulk's up tilt, and at that point there's little risk for Shulk to just go for up air. You also would need to eventually come down, and Byleth doesn't have a way to land that would convince Shulk to not use up tilt.

Does the lowered jump height actually matter vs the bow? It's still frame 45. Shulk absolutely does not have to get hit by this in neutral in speed art. Maybe if Byleth commits to it to catch his landing, but I would think that would be very hard to time.

Nair and fair/bair are great at preemptively stopping Shulk's jumps. However, the key word here was preemptively; if Shulk is already on his way down with nair when Byleth wants to go for an aerial, Byleth is getting hit. Shulk's reverse nair in particular is great for dealing with Byleth because Shulk can begin it out of range and land with it at that diagonal blindspot that Byleth's horizontal fair/bair won't hit. This does have a lot of startup, so it's not terribly difficult for Byleth to call out. Down tilt outranges all of Shulk's ground moves, although its startup may easily cause it to whiff against a jumpy opponent like Shulk.

I think Byleth does have the ability to win neutral more often than Shulk. The real issue in this matchup is that Byleth only can get significant reward for doing so if they can convert it into a ledgetrap They aren't fast enough to chase Shulk's landing if he switches to jump or speed and saves his double jump. Shulk doesn't have to deal with their nair combos when he can switch to shield art. Up b doesn't matter when Shulk can get out for free by holding b. If Shulk misspaces an aerial on Byleth's shield, there's a mixup of Shulk shielding and anything else. If Byleth misspaces on Shulk's shield or goes for nair at all, that's an immediate up b. If Shulk lands a nair, Byleth is either getting grabbed or juggled, both of which will can quickly result in getting dumped offstage, where Shulk's fair will easily finish them if he lands it just once. At the ledge Byleth has no easy way to get past Shulk's aerials or him simply holding shield and waiting. In general, when Byleth touches Shulk, they may deal like 20 something percent. When Shulk touches Byleth, Byleth may die at any percent.

Actually, I wonder if shield art is even necessary. What happens if the opponent di's out against Byleth's nair? Can they still follow up?

Last edited:

ARISTOS

Smash Ace
Good MU stuff
Thank you, my mind was going crazy with some of the stuff I was reading. People here are acting like the whole cast will go +2 on Byleth, which is patently ridiculous given how much air space they cover and the number of characters who get in through jump-ins.

The best weapon against Byleth is a low recovery projectile that forces Byleth to move from their preferred space in center stage, with the movement speed to quickly re-adjust if needed. That is essentially :ultpikachu::ultgreninja::ultfox: and somewhat:ultjoker:(gun camping is strong but does not have the sheet mobility specs of the others).

Some of the zoners (:ultmegaman::ultrob::ultrobin:) do well as long as the game remains in neutral but once you've taken their projectile pressure tool away the MUs become a ton easier.

BitBitio

Smash Journeyman
Byleth probably has a lot of bad MUs regardless.

But, I will concede that Byleth has the tools to have a near even MU against many characters, so probably a viable counterpick. Like, maybe for :ultmario::ultgnw::ultlucina::ultroy::ultryu::ultken::ultfalcon::ultpeach: Byleth can contend reasonably well.

Last edited:

VodkaHaze

Smash Journeyman
NNID
VodkaHaze58
After seeing some more stuff from Byleth, the character does have some tools to work with. I can definitely see them being nowhere near the bottom, but I struggle to see them in the top half because their mobility and frame data can get exploited by so many characters. This might change with future patches though.
I'm convinced :ultrob: is definitely a top tier, awful disadvantage or not. His results keep getting better and his kit is frightening enough to be a top tier threat imo.

Also to the person who said Ridley being bad was why Byleth auto wins the mu, when are we going to learn that tier list placements don't dictate matchups? The way a characters kits interact with other characters is what determines a mu chart. I've seen way too many matchup charts that just throw all the obscure low tiers in +2 or +1 despite the fact that they most likely have no experience against that character. You can say that :ultkirby::ultpalutena: is an even mu or :ultisabelle:does decently against:ultsnake: and you'll get clowned on because, "lol how ur character sux lmao"
Some people seem to forget that match-ups ≠ tier list, though the former influences the latter. Plenty of characters throughout the Smash games lost MUs to characters lower on the tier list than them (King Dedede beat Wario back in Brawl due to his chain grab).

However, even granting that the MU is determined off of tier placement, we don't even know if Ridley is a better character than Byleth.

Anomika

Smash Apprentice
I will personally wait a few more months until I (or we?) can give final opinions on Byleth. I like seeing everyone's opinions about certain characters, but this one so far seems to be inconsistent. The slowest DLC fighter we've had in Ultimate so far... in a game where a good amount of fighters are quick in a certain way. I'll give this character a few months (maybe after EVO 2020) until I can give myself a conclusion. I do think that they can be a potential counterpick / pocket character if enough time is invested into them, though.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Literally impossible for a character with these mobility specs to be top tier without some kind of abuse.

Byleth is cool to me, I mean come on look at my name.

But I don't see them shaking the meta.

SwagGuy99

Smash Ace
Literally impossible for a character with these mobility specs to be top tier without some kind of abuse.

But I don't see them shaking the meta.
Exactly. Most top or high tiers with poor mobility tend to have some really good thing(s) in their kit that are good enough to allow them to work around their poor mobility (which can lead to these characters to feel somewhat polarizing) but they are still good characters:
  • :ultolimar: has great disjoints and a strong camping game
  • :ultsnake: has decent frame data, a strong camping game, great edgeguarding and ledgetrapping, a good recovery. a well-rounded moveset overall, and some disjoints
  • :ultlink: has one of the most well-rounded movesets in the game, decent camping tools, and great disjoints
  • :ultluigi: also has a fairly well rounded moveset, good ledge trapping, great frame data, and a great combo and grab game
and so on...

Byleth doesn't have anything amazing really going for her (outside of her juggling game but her speed limits her).

Her disjoints are decent, but she's oftentimes too slow to take full advantage of them. Meanwhile all 4 of these characters have at least a few fast, disjointed moves in their kit (Luigi's b-air and f-air are somewhat disjointed).

She has a projectile but she can't camp or approach with it. All of the characters above have at least one good approach option (or an option to force approaches) but Byleth doesn't since her arrow is too predictable. Link has arrows and bomb, Luigi has fireball and z-air, Snake has nikita, C4, and grenades, Olimar has Pikmin toss. Byleth also doesn't have an answer to projectiles due to the lag that her's has and while some characters (Luigi) may have some trouble against projectiles at times, all of these characters have a projectile that can allow them to work around it.

Byleth also doesn't have any good get off me options either, something that every character above also has. Luigi has n-air and Cyclone, Snake has grenades, Olimar and Link have n-air (Link also has his bomb as well).

Finally, Byleth lacks OOS options. This means that despite her long ranged defensive game being OK due to her disjoints, it's really bad at close range since she doesn't have the frame data to contest with most of the cast meaning that she will often be stuck in shield. Her fastest OOS option (n-air) is frame 9 which isn't the worst fastest option (RIP:ultridley:), but it's not that good. Her up-b is her next fastest option at frame 11, which isn't horrible, but it isn't really a kill option until very high percents (she does have some confirms and mix-ups out of it) and I'm not sure how good it is at catching people next to Byleth on the ground. Finally, up-smash and up-air are her third fastest OOS options at frame 13 but up-smash most likely won't connect if you are behind Byleth and up-air may have trouble catching opponents on the ground who aren't huge (RIP :ultridley:).

Meanwhile OOS, Luigi has a frame 6 combo starter (n-air), a frame 8 kill move (up-b) and juggling move (up-air), and 2 frame 9 kill moves (up-smash and b-air). It's nearly impossible to pressure his shield up-close because of this. Also, Snake has a frame 6 d-air that deals more than 20% if all of the hits connect. Link has a frame 7 kill move OOS (up-b). Olimar's fastest OOS options aren't as good admittedly (f-air and n-air), but his up-smash (frame 12) is still somewhat hard to punish so he has that going for him.

Byleth just seems underwhelming to me and I don't really see a reason to play Byleth over another long ranged character who isn't nearly as slow and has better options overall.

Cracke

Smash Journeyman
If every character got one major flaw that they have which one do you think would become a serious threat? Personally I say if :ultridley: got more weight without sacrificing anything else he might become a good contender. Not saying he'd be an absolute menace but I think he'd gain more respect. :ultmetaknight: is also there when I think about it, if he got sword fix he'd be pretty good.

BitBitio

Smash Journeyman
You mean to fix a major flaw? How about :ultdoc: who would basically be a viable contender in the meta with a decent recovery. :ultbowserjr: with less vulnerability to gimping. :ultdk: would be solid with better move safety. :ultganondorf: could use a better recovery too. :ultgreninja: would literally be the best in the game with some decent OoS IMHO. :ultkirby: with an improved set of approach tools would propel him into high-mid or high tier.

Most characters bar :ultbayonetta::ultlittlemac::ultisabelle: and maybe :ultcorrin::ultjigglypuff::ultpit: would be legitimate contenders with some fixes to flaws. The question is somewhat answered in simply the premise.

Edit: Don’t even @ me about :ultmarth:. Improving his tipper would make him top tier again.

Last edited:

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord
If every character got one major flaw that they have which one do you think would become a serious threat? Personally I say if :ultridley: got more weight without sacrificing anything else he might become a good contender. Not saying he'd be an absolute menace but I think he'd gain more respect. :ultmetaknight: is also there when I think about it, if he got sword fix he'd be pretty good.

So having invincible bair and DA that can kill, an up-air thats almost :rosalina:level strong and abusable , a projectile that can break any defensive walls or setups and can kill, and a gigantic grab range with a very strong kill throw is "underwhelming"
Even with the nerfs she got in 7.0.0 she is considered by many to still be a top 10 character. Yeah her nair basically is the central conerstone of her kit, but not the only actual good move in her arsenal. She would not be a top-tier character if that was the case

Last edited:

NotLiquid

Smash Lord
Just give everyone Palu's nAir.
Palu's entire moveset is rather underwhelming and then there is her nAir.
Palutena's aerials have some of the best utility in the game bar none. She has one of, if not the best dash attack in the game. Autoreticle and Explosive Flame are great mid-range pressure tools that can force certain recoveries, and her DTilt is still one of the better attacks at two-framing the ledge. Even her up smash is pretty good for what it is.

I realize hyperbolizing is a thing here sometimes but this is a really bewildering attempt at it.

Last edited:

Lacrimosa

Smash Lord
Palutena's aerials have some of the best utility in the game bar none. She has one of, if not the best dash attack in the game. Autoreticle and Explosive Flame are great mid-range pressure tools that can force certain recoveries, and her DTilt is still one of the better attacks at two-framing the ledge. Even her up smash is pretty good for what it is.

I realize hyperbolizing is a thing here sometimes but this is a really bewildering attempt at it.
I would still stand by the point that Palu's nAir is the biggest improvement she has. Connects better and is generally bigger. It's just one of the best combo-moves in the game.
The other moves (Auto-reticle and Explosive) she has are ok but nothing all to crazy. These moves aren't the reason why she jumped tiers like crazy even though Auto-reticle got better.

Top Bottom