• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Competitive Character Impressions 2.0

?

• Total voters

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord
@meleebrawler

You mention f-smash as a neutral tool against short hop and shield--but f-smashes in general aren't used for this. smashes have lots of endlag, so usually when you're f-smashing or up-smashing in neutral you're calling out a habit. If a committal smash is one of your main answers to short hop* and one of your main ways to pressure shield, then you're in deep trouble as a character.

Quick example: ZSS in the Fox matchup has a hard time punishing Fox for jumping, since Fox lands so fast. ZSS players deal with this by calling out the Fox's jumping habits and up-smashing. You can see Marss and Nairo do this against Light all the time. But ZSS' up-smash is a very committal move, so as soon as Light catches on, Marss and Light start losing stocks to Fox just waiting for the up-smash and punishing. Some mindgames and back-and-forth are involved here, but the advantage nevertheless clearly belongs to Fox: it's less commitment for Fox to wait than it is for ZSS to up-smash.

And something similar applies to Byleth vs. shields. The burden of spacing isn't on the shielder; it's on Byleth. If you use a lance f-smash against someone as Byleth, you have to space it so that you can't just get punished OOS. Since Byleth has lower mobility, and there are so many ways to transition into a shield (walk, run, dash, land, spotdodge, etc), the advantage should be the shielder's.

This isn't an open-and-shut case of shields dismantling Byleth though; obviously Byleth can grab, or poke with d-tilt, or something else, but it looks like an advantage all the same.

*note here on Byleth vs. short hop: f-air is very good against short hops anyway, you don't even need angled f-smash. You should not be short hopping against Byleth at max spear range. It seems really counterintuitive. Does Byleth have a way to force you to jump at that range? Fear of taking shield damage because Amyr could break your shield doesn't seem compelling enough.

Yeah, I've acknowledged that the ledge is a powerful position for Byleth. Seems like one of the game's best ledgetrappers, just like Piranha Plant. I thought that this discussion so far had been entirely in the context of Byleth's neutral. Following the comment chain back to my original post, I said: "Zoning with what? ... Reactable neutral moves on a character with nearly game-worst mobility? Wow, that is really bad."

It's neutral where I think that Byleth's design should shine, but where it seems to fall apart the hardest based on the current footage.

Just for reference, S4 Corrin Pin was extremely overtuned and almost zero-commitment against some characters like Mario, who couldn't consistently punish the kick. That's the kind of move this design would need to really come together, imo.

Okay this may sound kinda sacrlige consdiering Smash 4 had Bayo and Cloud and whatnot.
But Corrin's S4 pin was not just overtuned, it was a borderline broken move, only kept from being completely ridiculous by the below-average mobility of Corrin him/herself. It was basically kinda like ZSS's flip-jump of this game. generally Non-comittal, could be used to escape disavantage situations with much of the cast not being able to punish it. and it killed early when it connects.
Yea it could be somewhat easy to guard against in neutral yes but it was safe and non comittal as long as you dont get predictable with it you could get easy punishes.

It was not just Mario and similar short-ranged characters. Most Corrin MU's hinged on how well the character could "deal" with Pin. If you used Ness, well then TS

Last edited:

boysilver400

Smash Apprentice
Anybody see a tier list that they think best represents the current meta?
To be blunt, no. Very few even come remotely close imo and there isn’t a single tier I’ve seen that doesn’t come with “wtf” placements.

I don’t know if this is due to the meta constantly changing or just smashers not paying attention but I will say that based on some recent tier lists, :ultjigglypuff: is the next :ultshulk:and :ultpikachu:

Impax

Smash Apprentice
Upsets so far for Glitch 8:
Snorley:ultwario: 2-0 Stocktaker69:ultwolf::ultpalutena:
Bankai:ultpokemontrainer::ultzss: 2-1 Phantom:ultpalutena:
Ese:ultroy: 2-1 Dexter:ultwolf:
benn 9 9 9:ultluigi: 2-1 Toast:ultyounglink:

And here the winner's side for each pool round 2:
Maister:ultgnw: vs TheRed:ultsnake:
File:ultbowser: vs Raptor:ultyoshi:
Stroder:ultroy::ultgreninja: vs Magister:ultincineroar:
Jakal:ultwolf: vs Kishiru:ultpikachu:
Ryuga:ultike: vs Shoe:ultzss:
Puppeh:ultpokemontrainerf: vs Conch
LeoN:ultbowser: vs Enki:ultpikachu:
Fatality:ultfalcon: vs 6WX:ultjoker::ultsonic:
Dabuz:ultolimar::ultrosalina: vs Lavish:ultchrom:
Juice:ultfalco::ultzss: vs Daigon
Kola:ultroy::ultcloud: vs colinies:ultyounglink:
Jw:ultgreninja: vs Sandstorm:ultken::ultryu:
Tweek:ultwario: vs Ralphie:ultjoker:
John Number:ultwiifittrainer: vs Bankai:ultzss::ultpokemontrainer:
WaDi:ultrob: vs Disgaea:ultgnw:
Pelca:ultsnake: vs White Girl 6 9 (what is this tag lol)
Light:ultfox: vs Pink Fresh:ultzss:
BlazingPasta:ultpeach: vs Dill:ultrob:
Sinji:ultpacman: vs Mr. Mojo Risin':ultdk::ultlucina:
Suarez:ultyoshi: vs Ese:ultroy:
ESAM:ultpikachu: vs Mossy:ultsnake:
SoulArts:ultshulk: vs Blacktwins:ultpichu:
Raffi-X:ultrob: vs GoMan:ultchrom::ultpalutena:
Rivers:ultchrom: vs SAUCE:ultmario::ultroy:
Dark Wizzy:ultmario: vs Dietsoda:ultcloud:
RFang:ultpichu: vs DM:ultpikachu:
Gen:ultpalutena: vs Mata-Door:ultwario:
ZD:ultfox: vs UtopianRay:ultpalutena:
MVD:ultsnake: vs Tarik:ultgreninja::ultpokemontrainer:
Mr E:ultlucina: vs Mekos:ultlucas:
Cosmos:ultinkling: vs Dingus Joe:ultgnw:
benn 9 9 9:ultluigi: vs Beast:ultpokemontrainerf:
White girl is ozone

VodkaHaze

Smash Journeyman
NNID
VodkaHaze58
Anybody see a tier list that they think best represents the current meta?
Not really. If we did that then Corrin would be like a bottom 5 character due to virtually no representation and Pikachu probably wouldn't be top 10. Most go off of theory crafting, which is important, but results and the metagame still test theories.
Closest I found was Armada's due to fine reasoning, but even then he didn't rank 9 characters due to uncertainty. Current tier lists are like mysterious sandwiches where everyone agrees the top and bottom are made out of bread, but no one agrees what's in the middle.
To be blunt, no. Very few even come remotely close imo and there isn’t a single tier I’ve seen that doesn’t come with “wtf” placements.

I don’t know if this is due to the meta constantly changing or just smashers not paying attention but I will say that based on some recent tier lists, :ultjigglypuff: is the next :ultshulk:and :ultpikachu:
I don't think it'll be that extreme, Jigglypuff still has a ton of bad match-ups that people need to recognise. At least Jigglypuff might get some more representation for Phase 3 with a better kit.

Megamang

Smash Lord
Tri Knight Tri Knight you might know this already, but the best snapshot we have of the current meta is almost certainly Orionstats. We are in the start of the season so it is a bit weird right now, but each season is an excellent snapshot and shoutouts to Das Koopa Das Koopa for running such an enlightening project. I'm sure its stressful and we appreciate it man!

Another great place to learn about the meta is Glitch 8, which is what is is running right now. Here's the thing, Orionstats gives us snapshots of the meta over a time, and each major is where we see the secret sauce that people have been labbing out, a more precise but zoomed in snapshot of the meta at that very time.

Watching top 12 play is obviously a place to learn a lot, but I recommend everyone watch pools. What exactly sets a top player above the people they destroy in pools? How do they adapt to non-top players, because we see non PGR'd players take games exponentially more than they take sets, so take note of adaptation and see if you can do the same! At the top 8 level there is a lot of player/player interaction going on, which is a good learning experience in itself, but seeing how they go vs someone they don't know can almost be more applicable to your own game.

Much love guys. I recommend anyone attend at least one major if they want to step up their game, even before you can reasonably be expected to get out of pools. A major levels you up more than anything, and even my 0-2s are learning experiences.

... Next major (or the next next) may have Byleth. Maybe we'll see a new Salem main =]

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
Upsets so far:

Kishiru:ultpikachu: 2-1 Jakal:ultwolf:
Wal00gi 2-1 File:ultbowser: (out at 65th)
Wal00gi 2-0 Stocktaker69:ultwolf::ultpalutena: (out at 49th)
Bankai:ultzss::ultpokemontrainer: 2-1 Phantom:ultpalutena: (out at 33rd)
John Numbers:ultwiifittrainer: 2-0 Pelca:ultsnake: (out at 33rd)

Tri Knight Tri Knight you might know this already, but the best snapshot we have of the current meta is almost certainly Orionstats. We are in the start of the season so it is a bit weird right now, but each season is an excellent snapshot and shoutouts to Das Koopa Das Koopa for running such an enlightening project. I'm sure its stressful and we appreciate it man!

Another great place to learn about the meta is Glitch 8, which is what is is running right now. Here's the thing, Orionstats gives us snapshots of the meta over a time, and each major is where we see the secret sauce that people have been labbing out, a more precise but zoomed in snapshot of the meta at that very time.

Watching top 12 play is obviously a place to learn a lot, but I recommend everyone watch pools. What exactly sets a top player above the people they destroy in pools? How do they adapt to non-top players, because we see non PGR'd players take games exponentially more than they take sets, so take note of adaptation and see if you can do the same! At the top 8 level there is a lot of player/player interaction going on, which is a good learning experience in itself, but seeing how they go vs someone they don't know can almost be more applicable to your own game.

Much love guys. I recommend anyone attend at least one major if they want to step up their game, even before you can reasonably be expected to get out of pools. A major levels you up more than anything, and even my 0-2s are learning experiences.

... Next major (or the next next) may have Byleth. Maybe we'll see a new Salem main =]
Byleth (and version 7.0) comes immediately after Genesis and EVO Japan, which is the perfect timing.

Last edited:

Wigglerman

Smash Ace
People keep asking me about Byleth, and I keep mentioning bad OoS and lack of burst mobility. So on that much I agree.

But complaining that side-b is reactable is off-base. No one expects to be running around attempting to control neutral with that thing. It's a trapping/coverage move that can threaten certain types of landing, air dodge, or defensive zoning moves. Seems more than functional at this job @ f20, if the range is even 90% as big as it looks.

On rewatch, what stood out to me was how floaty Byleth appears; a sharp contrast to the Belmonts.

Up-b will likely be good just because of how much people undervalue diagonal threat in Smash. But it leaves Byleth in the air, and remember, she's floaty. She might not like this.
I noticed early on how damn important it is to have diagonal options in this game. Pac-Man, for instance, REALLY struggles with airborn foes a lot of the time if they have great arc coverage since he simply doesn't have many great options to cover it. His smashes all go straight forward or up, his uptilt doesn't cover much area in front of him and has a poor hitbox. Upair is really the only normal move he has that can cover a wide arc and even then it can get stuffed out by most the roster due to their longer reach. Bell tends to be his optimal option along with manipulating the hydant's launch to really get those much needed diagonal gaps in his arsenal.

It made me fully aware just how much of a pain it is to be approached from those 'blind spots' and do much about it other than block or preposition as quickly as possible to hit them with his less fluid hitboxes.

Cheryl~

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1511-1076-9918
More upsets from Glitch:

Tarik :ultgreninja: 2-0 MVD :ultsnake:
Toast :ultyounglink: 2-1 MVD :ultsnake: (out at 49th)
Magister :ultincineroar: 2-1 Jakal :ultwolf: (out at 49th)
Raptor :ultyoshi: 2-1 Magister :ultincineroar: (out at 33rd)
Dill :ultrob: 2-0 Light :ultfox:

also, the best-placing Mewtwo (Zenkai) is out at 65th, tied with Lucario (QWERTY). I think sadly the time for Mewtwo to show it’s potential is over and we might have to accept the character as mediocre to bad because of that damn tail.

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
Here are more upsets:
benn 9 9 9:ultluigi: 2-1 Beast:ultpokemontrainerf:
DM:ultpikachu: 2-1 RFang:ultpichu:
ZD:ultwolf: 2-1 Gen:ultpalutena:
Name 2-1 BONK!:ultmetaknight: (out at 97th)
AndrewT:ultness: 2-0 Dexter:ultwolf: (out at 97th)
Kepler:ultsnake: 2-0 UtopianRay:ultpalutena: (out at 65th)

Top 32

Winner's
Maister:ultgnw: vs Stroder:ultgreninja::ultmario::ultroy:
Mr E:ultlucina: vs Cosmos:ultinkling:
Tweek:ultwario::ultroy: vs WaDi:ultrob:
Dill:ultrob: vs Sinji:ultpacman:
Puppeh:ultpokemontrainerf: vs Fatality:ultfalcon:
Dark Wizzy:ultmario: vs ZD:ultwolf::ultfox:
Dabuz:ultolimar: vs Kola:ultroy::ultsnake:
ESAM:ultpikachu: vs Raffi-X:ultrob:

Loser's
Kishiru:ultpikachu: vs Ryuga:ultike:
Toast:ultyounglink: vs DM:ultpikachu:
John Numbers:ultwiifittrainer: vs Sandstorm:ultken::ultryu:
Suarez:ultyoshi: vs Blacktwins:ultpichu::ultmario:
LeoN:ultbowser: vs Raptor:ultyoshi:
(Winner of Gen:ultpalutena: vs RFang:ultpichu:) vs Tarik:ultgreninja:
Jw:ultgreninja: vs Bankai:ultzss::ultpokemontrainer:
Rivers:ultchrom: vs Light:ultfox:

This is a pretty good event for R.O.B., Yoshi, Pikachu, and Greninja.

Last edited:

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord
I said this before, but R.O.B has been doing very well for a while

His weakness of being combo food big-body is the one think keeping him from being ridiclous in Ultimate giving him some very rough MU's in :ultpalutena::ultzss::ultpikachu: and still :ultbayonetta:.

I mean he is technically a zoner, but is more like a all-round character with big sword-like disjointed airiels and some surpisingly good CQC options in a 3f jab and that infamous down-tilt. Plus 2 combo throws with basically somewhat worse Snake like guarnteed kill confirm with D-throw at around 170%

Last edited:

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
Stroder:ultgreninja: reverse 3-0 Maister:ultgnw:

Both Kirishu:ultpikachu: and DM:ultpikachu: are out at 25th place (probably the 2nd and 3rd best, respectively, Pika players), so ESAM is all that is left, but ESAM is chilling in winner's about to fight Raffi-X.

Edit: Fatality:ultfalcon: 3-0 Puppeh:ultpokemontrainerf:, so Fatality moving on to top 8 qualifiers from winner's. His best performance in a long time.

Last edited:

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Oh hey, an Ike actually made it into top 32 again for a fairly large/stacked tournament, yay!

To me at least, it seems like Ryuga is doing better now that's done trying to force Hero to work.

NotLiquid

Smash Lord
Light :ultfox: 3 - 2 Maister :ultgnw: (eliminated at 17th)

Maister's first time missing top 8 (hell, top 16) since Mainstage.

Last edited:

Anomika

Smash Apprentice
Mr E finally breaking the Fox curse, beat Light 3-0. He definitely took the advantage of Fox's weaknesses with juggling and edgeguarding. I do feel bad for Light though... The sets vs Dill and Maister almost definitely made him upset and tired.

SwagGuy99

Smash Ace
On the topic of Glitch 8, I haven't watched everything but I did see the ZD / Dark Wizzy set and it does a really good job of showcasing :ultmario: and :ultfox:'s strengths and weaknesses. ZD's Fox was great when it gained momentum (something that has been true of Fox in general since Melee) but while ZD was doing a pretty good job at mixing up recoveries, Fox's recovery just isn't too good in Ultimate. While Dark Wizzy wasn't fishing for combos as much, he did do a fantastic job of showing off Mario's edgeguarding (especially at the end of the second game). Mario's FLUDD does a great job of limiting options on offstage opponents and he always has the threat of f-air and cape as well. However, Dark Wizzy's Mario was struggling to land a kill onstage and he can struggle somewhat in neutral against characters who have options to keep/run away from him.

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord
So... Cosmos just reversed 3-0'd Dabuz with Corrin, that is a thing that happened

Last edited:

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion
Turns out low tiers can have decent matchups against mid tiers at time, doesn't mean they're not low tiers. Remember when Nairo's Ganon beat Light? Unless Cosmos keeps getting results with Corrin this doesn't mean much.

Corrin has a terrible matchup against Palutena, I wonder if Dabuz has dropped her entirely? Seems like an easy switch for game 4 or at least game 5.

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
So... Cosmos just reversed 3-0'd Dabuz with Corrin, that is a thing that happened
Dabuz didn't seem that well prepared for the matchup.

Either way, Cosmos just spared ESAM the trouble of fighting Dabuz again (ESAM got destroyed by Dabuz back in winner's).
This is a pretty big opportunity for ESAM to place even higher than he already has.

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord
Dabuz didn't seem that well prepared for the matchup.

Either way, Cosmos just spared ESAM the trouble of fighting Dabuz again (ESAM got destroyed by Dabuz back in winner's).
This is a pretty big opportunity for ESAM to place even higher than he already has.
Well both Olimar and Rosalina can struggle vs really big sword hitboxes (Which is also why Dabuz has had issues with Shulk) That is something Corrin still holds onto in Ultimate

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
Turns out low tiers can have decent matchups against mid tiers at time, doesn't mean they're not low tiers. Remember when Nairo's Ganon beat Light? Unless Cosmos keeps getting results with Corrin this doesn't mean much.

Corrin has a terrible matchup against Palutena, I wonder if Dabuz has dropped her entirely? Seems like an easy switch for game 4 or at least game 5.
:ultcorrinf: has a lot more going for her than :ultganondorf:. She has good sword hit boxes along with decent frame data for a swordie, including a f5 Dtilt that combos (YL's DTilt is f8 for ref). She's like a watered down cross between Ike and Lucina. Pin got toned down from SSB4 but is still a good f4 mid range control move that extends beyond her sword reach and 2 frames. Dragon assent is invulnerable f 7-17 and hard to intercept. I'm not saying she's high tier or anything but she's better than low tiers for sure.

Corrin's results, or lack of, are an enigma of ultimate. I'm no FE fan but I guess her game really was hated by a lot of people.

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion
:ultcorrinf: has a lot more going for her than :ultganondorf:.
I agree, though her overall matchup chart is pretty bad and she's likely bottom 10 overall. She does decently well versus Olimar and Rosalina, which happens to be the two characters Dabuz plays. If he still played Palutena it'd be much harder for Cosmos to win though.

Corrin's results, or lack of, are an enigma of ultimate.
Bottom 10 character that's not very unique, not too surprising that she's not played much.

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord
I agree, though her overall matchup chart is pretty bad and she's likely bottom 10 overall. She does decently well versus Olimar and Rosalina, which happens to be the two characters Dabuz plays. If he still played Palutena it'd be much harder for Cosmos to win though.

Bottom 10 character that's not very unique, not too surprising that she's not played much.
Dudes if your not an FE fan you have no idea about how long and hard the hate-train for Corrin is. He/She is pretty much a universally despised character from an FE game that is very divisive. With only one of the three actual games of Fates being considered a "good" FE game

Last edited:

SwagGuy99

Smash Ace
:ultcorrin:'s OrionStats results have almost definitely just passed what they were for the entirety of PGR S2. Just let that set in for a second. In about 2 weeks, :ultcorrin: already has better results than she had for the last 6 months.
Don't forget :ultgnw:. He's probably her best High/Top Tier MU to be honest. She has strong disjoints (something :ultgnw: struggles with) an OK recovery that can be a challenge to edgeguard at times, and a good juggle game.

Last edited:

KirbySquad101

Smash Ace
Whether you want to call :ultcorrinf: a mid tier, low tier, bottom tier, bottom 10, etc., Cosmos had the element of surprise on his side against Dabuz, and it paid off this set; it helps that Corrin had the tools to pull off said "surprise" victory, which more or less hammers in the point that you can't sleep on anyone in this game, regardless of if Corrin is a bottom 10 character or not.

Honestly, labeling characters as certain tiers/categories gets REALLY tiring after a while, at least for me lol.

Last edited:

Heracr055

Smash Ace
Palutena would've been awful for Corrin as she's not fast enough to catch her, and Palu can intercept Corrin's recovery mixups pretty well & eventually deplete her resources.
The Rosa win is reasonable because of Corrin's many tools to eraticate Luma, and Rosa's large & light frame make her Corrin combo food.
She's mid tier at best imo but I'm so happy she got a major win in a top 8

Edit: I hope you guys are woke now to sweetspot Pin and bair

Last edited:

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion
Don't forget :ultgnw:. He's probably her best High/Top Tier MU to be honest. She has strong disjoints (something :ultgnw: struggles with) an OK recovery that can be a challenge to edgeguard at times, and a good juggle game.
Maister has it as even, I think G&W might win still but I could see it being even, which I guess means Cosmos might actually bring out Corrin versus Maister at some point for the surprise factor.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Corrin's results, or lack of, are an enigma of ultimate. I'm no FE fan but I guess her game really was hated by a lot of people.
Even people who like Fates hate Corrin outside of F!Corrin's visual design. On top of her game starting out with extremely polarizing opinions that have sunk lower and lower as time has gone on/as the new wave of FE fans that started with Awakening play 3Hs and realize just how bad Fates was.

On top of that, Corrin lost a lot of what made them powerful in SSB4 without a lot to make up for it. So shrinking fanbase who would play Corrin out of loyalty (who could also just jump ship to Ike at the start of SSBU or Lucina/Roy/Chrom if they wanted to play a great FE character), and a decimated fanbase who would play Corrin because they liked her playing style/power level (who could jump to any character they want, or Palutena if they wanted another powerful waifu to use).

Not an enigma, an attack on two fronts. But hey, still has counterpick utility apparently which is cool. Or at least as long as she has surprise factor she has counterpick potential. I really don't know how well if would hold up in the long run, hard to say.

Last edited:

BitBitio

Smash Journeyman
Tweek’s :ultwario: just beat Dark Wizzy’s :ultmario: in Glitch 8 Grand Finals Reset 3-1

Last edited:

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
Frosty Faustings XII 2020 (C Tier)
1st: yeti:ultmegaman:
2nd: Zinoto:ultpeach:
3rd: Comet:ultfox:
4th: TonyZTank:ultsonic:
5th: Yoomoo:ultmario:
5th: Earl:ultlucina:
7th: Super Dan:ultmario:
7th: SNooFL:ultfox:
9th: Rickles:ultganondorf: (rare footage of a solo Ganon placement)
9th: Frosty:ultrichter:
9th: Ravenking:ultike:
9th: ApolloKage:ultsnake:

Tampa Never Sleeps (C Tier)
1st: Samsora:ultpeach:
2nd: Salem:ulthero::ultsnake::ultshulk::ultbayonetta:
3rd: Vinny G:ultsnake:
4th: MuteAce:ultpeach:
5th: Goblin:ultroy:
5th: Myran:ultolimar:
7th: ZekeTRP:ultyoshi:
7th: Morpheus:ultmegaman:
9th: Epic_Gabriel:ultrob:
9th: Kobe:ultyounglink:
9th: Uncivil ninja:ultshulk:
9th: Anathema:ultrob:
13th: sebayeeeee:ultgnw:
13th: ScAtt:ultmegaman::ultsnake:
13th: 8BitMan:ultrob:
13th: Rideae:ultpikachu:

Smash Fest to the Sky (C Tier)
1st: Meme:ultyoshi:
2nd: Sparg0:ultcloud::ultinkling:
3rd: Chag:ultpalutena::ultinkling:
4th: Bedgar:ultinklingboy:
5th: LeSou:ultdk:
5th: Nair^:ultridley:
7th: Javi:ultlucina::ultwolf:
7th: Leaf:ultpeach:
9th: Hyuga:ulttoonlink:
9th: Joker:ultsamus:
9th: Nery:ultisabelle:
9th: MKBigBoss:ultrob:

Glitch 8 (A TIer) Top 8
1st: Tweek:ultwario::ultwolf::ultroy:
2nd: Dark Wizzy:ultmario:
3rd: ESAM:ultpikachu:
4th: Cosmos:ultinkling::ultcorrinf:
5th: Dabuz:ultalph:
5th: Stroder:ultgreninja::ultmario:
7th: Dill:ultrob:
7th: Mr E:ultlucina:
9th: Puppeh:ultpokemontrainerf:
9th: RFang:ultpichu:
9th: Raffi-X:ultrob:
9th: Fatality:ultfalcon:
13th: ZD:ultwolf::ultfox:
13th: Kola:ultroy::ultcloud::ultsnake:
13th: LeoN:ultbowser:
13th: Light:ultfox:
17th: Sinji:ultpacman:
17th: Sandstorm:ultken:
17th: Ryuga:ultike:
17th: WaDi:ultrob:
17th: Bankai:ultzss:
17th: Suarez:ultyoshi:
17th: Maister:ultgnw:
17th: Toast:ultyounglink:
25th: Tarik:ultgreninja:
25th: Kishiru:ultpikachu:
25th: Jw:ultgreninja:
25th: John Numbers:ultwiifittrainer:
25th: Blacktwins:ultpichu:
25th: Raptor:ultyoshi:
25th: DM:ultpikachu:
25th: Rivers:ultchrom:
33rd: LingLing:ultpeach:
33rd: SoulArts:ultshulk:
33rd: JeBB:ultzss::ultpalutena:
33rd: Kepler:ultsnake:
33rd: Gen:ultpalutena:
33rd: Beast:ultpokemontrainerf:
33rd: benn 9 9 9:ultluigi:
33rd: BlazingPasta:ultpeach:
33rd: Juice:ultgreninja::ultfalco:
33rd: Wal00gi:ultsnake:
33rd: Pelca:ultsnake:
33rd: Phantom:ultjoker::ultpalutena:
33rd: Daybreak:ultwolf:
33rd: Magister:ultincineroar:
33rd: 6WX:ultsonic:
33rd: Shoe:ultzss:

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
Aside from :ultcorrinf:doing well (Which is probably going to be just like Nairo vs Light where results drop off like a rock) for once, the big thing is the amount of :ultrob: usage recently such as Dill being in Top 8, WaDi and Raffi-X overperforming in both Glitch 8 and LMBM and there's Zackray winning EGS Cup 3 with ROB being one of his characters.

Is ROB borderline top tier? Zackray's main statement about him is that his only weakness is being a big body, but everything else about him is amazing.

NotLiquid

Smash Lord
Mexico really is Inkling country. Alongside Cosmos' amazing play this week I'm left surprised how much ink this character still has in the tank. The way they're played at a top level has gone through some markedly subtle changes and adaptations over the year. Way more aggressive edge guarding, oppressive aerials, splattershot usage in neutral and smart usage of KO options out-of-shield still displays how dangerously potent they are. That's the good stuff.

By the way, Mario busted.

Envoy of Chaos

Smash Ace
I’m convinced ROB is top ten at this point. Quite frankly ROB has been getting so much success from so many different people it’s not a fluke at this point. Big target and combo food be damned, his Bayo and Palu MUs clearly aren’t enough to slow him down that far. The character has entirely too much going for them for that to hinder him and it’s getting obvious. Yeah they are giant targets but also heavy and having fuel on his Up B clearly doesn’t affect much given how long and far rob can stay off stage and still make it back from literally anywhere loaded with mixups along the way.

RFang told me a few months ago he believed ROB was top ten, I didn’t believe him at first but I don’t think I can deny his claims anymore. ROB has an abundance of positive things going for him.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Is ROB borderline top tier? Zackray's main statement about him is that his only weakness is being a big body, but everything else about him is amazing.
In a word, no.

ROB has always been a character who thrives earlier on in the game and I don't think this is an exception. His results are driven by a dedicated set of players and his advantage state has been labbed exceptionally well early on but eventually people will catch up. This is an opinion that has already been given by Dabuz in his most recent tier list and one I've long thought.

ROB has several noticeable issues. Chiefly:

- Massive hurtbox which makes him extremely susceptible to true combos
- Lack of burst mobility or aerial combo breakers to compound this further
- Lack of good landing aerials (sorry; neutral aerial isn't that good, and you can already see the better players parrying it fairly consistently to extend strings, because it's slow and telegraphed)
- he has poor out of shield options which you're not getting very far with unless the opponent spaces badly or forgets to cross up.
- his zero to deaths largely string from a Nair with gyro in hand, which is incredibly telegraphed and he isn't landing unless you let yourself get hit by a Nair or space poorly enough for the (much faster) zdrop to hit.

To sum up, he has a bad disadvantage which people aren't exploiting hard enough yet at most levels of play, and people let him get away with too much in advantage. He also gets brutalised by several characters; Pikachu, Palutena, G&W, ZSS and Bayonetta are all very bad matchups for a start, but those aren't, I think, the extent of his losing matchups.

As time goes on, people know what to better look out for/avoid, and get better at parrying, mashing and limiting his landing options, his standing will fall. By how much? For all I've said, his neutral and offstage presence are enough that he will probably never sink to smash 4 levels. Moreover, if we ever see a ROB as good at parrying as, say, Light, then this becomes very scary as ROB gets access to several quick grounded options to overcome his OOS weakness.

Also, be careful of the Zackray ROB hype. He is a clear master of the character but he doesn't play him in the situations where ROB really struggles the most. It is easy to say that "ROB won Big House 9" when he did not play ROB against RFangs Pichu, Nairos Palutena, or Maisters G&W, all of which are pretty potent roadblocks to any solo ROB run.

VodkaHaze

Smash Journeyman
NNID
VodkaHaze58
Dudes if your not an FE fan you have no idea about how long and hard the hate-train for Corrin is. He/She is pretty much a universally despised character from an FE game that is very divisive. With only one of the three actual games of Fates being considered a "good" FE game
Since Byleth is still fresh in our minds, let's not forget Corrin was the sixth Fire Emblem character in Smash, and two of the DLC characters in Smash 4 were from FE. Also keep in mind both Melee and Brawl had two FE characters, whereas Smash 4 has 6 FE characters and Ultimate now has 8 - and its possible that that number could rise.

So have a character who has been nerfed quite a bit from Smash 4 to Ultimate, they aren't very popular amongst FE fans, and they aren't liked by Smash fans because they feel FE oversaturates the roster. That's probably why Corrin is unpopular.

Last edited:
Top Bottom