• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Competitive Character Impressions 2.0

?

• Total voters

blackghost

Smash Champion
Okay yeah, its :ultpalutena:.. I think I am getting why she is starting to get quite a lot of hate seeing how she hars gatekeeps many otherwise viable characters

But to be fair ness has unfortuantley has both Palu and Lucina as rough MU's who are top-tiers that are easy tp pick up and pretty common in most levels of play
she doesnt merely gatekeep she's ****ing Cerberus. if you or your character dont do decently well against palutena you have a glass ceiling. you need extreme bracket luck to make it deep. she's easily the most important MU in the game. there are a lot of characters that she holds down including all of the links, shulk, ness, and possibly samus and banjo. maybe more.

anyone have thoughts on where puff should rest now on the tier list?

Lacrimosa

Smash Lord
she doesnt merely gatekeep she's ****ing Cerberus. if you or your character dont do decently well against palutena you have a glass ceiling. you need extreme bracket luck to make it deep. she's easily the most important MU in the game. there are a lot of characters that she holds down including all of the links, shulk, ness, and possibly samus and banjo. maybe more.

anyone have thoughts on where puff should rest now on the tier list?
Top 3.
She's very similar to the big electric rat and Joker.

BitBitio

Smash Journeyman
I noticed that. The difference is minimal, but I think the difference between the two will increase as time goes on.

Other than :ultrosalina: taking 29th, :ultridley: overtaking :ultlucas:, and :ultdk: rising to 55th, virtually nothing has changed from the previous week.
Kirby rose a bit as well

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
We keep saying that Palutena gatekeeps low/mid tier characters super hard but is she really that bad for all of them? I thought the general consensus was that match ups were rarely worse then 4:6 in Ultimate?

What makes her worse then other top and high tiers with crazy damage outputs or neutrals?

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Nothing. She is simply one of the easiest characters to play in smash history ALONG with being top tier.

This means you see her ALOT. And she has the tools to play any match up.

Last edited:

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord
We keep saying that Palutena gatekeeps low/mid tier characters super hard but is she really that bad for all of them? I thought the general consensus was that match ups were rarely worse then 4:6 in Ultimate?

What makes her worse then other top and high tiers with crazy damage outputs or neutrals?
Well from what I have seen its most from tourament sets . Nario had known to wreck most :ultpacman::ultgnw::ultshulk::ultness: players he faces. I mean yeah he Is the best Palutena main, but he so far is undeafted agisnt the beat mains of those characters. I mean MU theories are mostly determined by the higest level sets right?

Her MU spread is also very solid among Top and high-tiers. I think her only losing MU's?being Pikachu, Inkling and Joker..

But Pichu can also give her some trouble

Last edited:

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428

It is mostly with trash characters like :ultganondorf: that the -3 MUs exist, so nobody cares.

:ultpalutena: being a worse or better MU than the other meta characters really isn't important. What matters is that Palutena is a widely played character with ridiculous attributes to take into account.

In Smash 4 a lot of characters were unviable with just :rosalina:existing, her gigantic range, damage output, deadly juggles, and nasty ledgeguarding demanded a character to have anti-Luma tech even if she wasn't super popular. Then:4cloud2:and:4bayonetta: were made, characters who also had ridiculous attributes, and were popular on top. Those characters who already had no shot against Rosa had 2 additional atrocious MUs to deal with, and most of those characters had bad MUs against :4diddy::4sonic::4sheik::4zss:, so it would total 7 abysmal MUs.

:ultpikachu: is technically a better gatekeeper than Palutena, because of his combined attributes (small, fast, ungimpable, high damage, camps). As such players of trash characters have to take Pikachu into account, but it is not a MU you commonly see because Pikachu is a very technical character. Palutena tho, she is a very popular character at all levels of play. Before and after Nairo's big win she had a ton of rep, and most "low tier heros" get taken out by Palutena players.

So lets take a trash character as an example. :ultganondorf:has -3s against :ultmegaman::ultpikachu::ultpichu::ultrob:. Any of these 4 show up the tournament is over. His MUs against the top characters (:ultpeach::ultwolf::ultzss::ultpalutena::ultlucina::ultinkling::ultjoker::ultmario::ultpokemontrainerf:) are not good MUs either. Out of those he is likely to encounter Mario, Palutena, Mario, Wolf, and Lucina a lot. He also has to take into account bracket sharks like :ultroy::ultchrom::ultness::ultgnw::ultbowser::ultgreninja::ultshulk:.

Now lets use a character that isn't trash, like :ultness:. :ultjoker::ultwolf::ultzss::ultpeach::ultfox: :ultpokemontrainerf:MUs are decent, he can claim to not autolose to plenty of them.:ultpichu::ultpikachu:are good MUs, so Ness is blessed to not have to worry about two of the nastiest gatekeepers in the game. :ultrosalina::ultmegaman::ultshulk::ultgnw:are very bad MUs, but they are rare characters. :ultmario::ultpalutena::ultlucina: are bad MUs and they are common, so they are a problem to Ness's success. And guess who is here to ruin your day? Palutena. When you do this brief analysis for most of the cast Palutena is always there. Even if you dodge your -3s and -2s if Palutena is among your worst MUs she will show up and ruin your day.

Last edited:

SapphSabre777

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4742-5094-9684
Hi, I noticed you had some issues with the OrionStats thing. I think your characterization is a bit hostile and I'm free after some stuff I needed to do with my dad, so I'll respond to this and a few messages you had directed to this a while back (I'm rarely active here, I generally just lurk.)

For one, you can definitely argue otherwise, and people have. My work is inherently amateur and serves to give a "general" idea of who is doing well in the metagame. I do like to represent it like this, but the idea that I'd only represent it like that is wrong. I've drug my feet a bit at a few points in the year, but I've made larger projects known - I intend to do a lot after Kongo Saga to analyze the first year of Ultimate to the best of my ability. This includes looking at character presence in a number of ways, not just the regional+national scores.

For two, the lack of a public results sheet is a matter of time commitment. The google sheet I use links directly to the smash.gg pages. I intend to probably have a text tab for results so they can be publicly looked at since I often do the job of looking through VODs of recent events. This is good in the sense that my database now links to the actual events, but bad in the sense that it removes the characters.

I do have a word file with the characters that I will probably make public once I start releasing year 1 data and for 2020 I'll be more active in relaying results since I think I can manage to copy & paste from my word file week-to-week.

Also, unless I'm mistaken, the info given is pretty clear. Point values are determined by placements with a lot of meandering about on details. Co-maining, secondaries, etc. The methodology tab is most incomplete in relation to the TTS itself, as in, player values getting updated when people top 4 majors. This'll be more clearly relayed since part of the reason it isn't clear is player values by power rankings external to the USA change a lot. My fix for this was to have a stable 6 month long PR for many of the 11 "super-regions." Canada has one, Middle East has one, but areas like AUS, MX, AP, EU, etc. don't.

To address earlier messages you posted, you seem to take issues with how echoes are handled. This is a consequence of the "Echo" term being very inconsistent even from the development staff. In this case, I separate based on the metagame rather than what the developers laid out, because Smash history in general rarely adheres to the intentions of aforementioned staff, wherever they exist.

Echoes:

:ultsamus::ultdarksamus: > Merged

:ultryu::ultken: > NOT Merged

:ultroy::ultchrom: > NOT Merged

:ultpeach::ultdaisy: > Merged

:ultpit::ultdarkpit: > Merged

:ultmarth::ultlucina: > NOT Merged

:ultrichter::ultsimon: > Merged

For some mergings, the justification is very simple. Simon & Richter are effectively the same character outside of property differences. Daisy & Peach are merged for similar reasons. The Dark counterparts are slightly more sketchy because differences exist. However, in the case of the Samuses, these are very minimal, and both iterations are regularly played by top mains of the character.

The Pits were merged after July because the character's results are near nonexistent and most people who use one use the other. Here, we run into situations where if a player co-mained both, I'd need to count both, but that'd be kind of silly to double the value of a character when that character is so similar to their counterpart that it really only matters for specific matchups (if at all, since Pit's core doesn't revolve around electroshock arm.) Arrows are the most MU dependent aspect of Pit, to my knowledge. I don't see the point in separating what is essentially a different mode-select for same-tiered characters nobody uses, especially when their separation in Smash 4, something I had public documentation over for years, yielded nothing of interest.

Marth and Lucina weren't merged because there is a very public and acknowledged understanding - at this point - that they are very different due to Marth's tipper mechanic. This is more stated than it was in Smash 4, to the extent that Marth is a much worse character and sees very little use. This is attested by MKLeo and seemingly every notable Marth from Smash 4 going into Ultimate, and MKLeo's attempts to make Marth work individually were very mixed at Summit and led him to essentially drop the character.

Lucina is almost objectively more consistent and reliable across the majority of her moveset. This is distinct from individual move differences or small quirks seen in the Pits or Samuses, respectively, and warrants a separation both to see how Marth operates by himself and because he's just noticeably different.

Roy/Chrom aren't merged because there is nowhere near enough playerbase crossover to reasonably justify it. There are a set of Roy mains, and there are a set of Chrom mains, with limited overlap to my knowledge.) I am doing a PR analysis by the start of 2020, and I'll take this back if there's a serious overlap, but among top Roy/Chrom mains the overlap has thus far been limited. Adding this to the similar major differences between the two swordsmen seen with Marth/Lucina (only without a viability gap), it again seems reasonable to keep them separate.

Ken/Ryu are again emblematic of the inconsistencies seen in what even defines an echo, but not to belabor the point, they are often separated by entire tiers. While there is actual overlap between shoto mains, this could reasonably be seen as the result of many former Ryu mains keeping him around while playing Ken, the generally agreed superior pick between the two.

The criteria is context dependent on the metagame and that's probably how it should be (instead of a total adherence to what the staff intended) since it means I'm operating a TTS for the metagame in the boundaries of that metagame. Keeping them separate by principal introduces problems in case of merged instances for reasons I brought up with the Pits - you're risking the inflating of results. Like, if Samsora woke up one day and decided he'd main both Peach and Daisy, and every subsequent result was to count both of them separately, I'd be inflating that individual entity's results based on nothing besides what amounts to an alternate costume slot.

It is far less headache inducing to just go with what people generally determine to be in the case in the context of the meta when it comes to merging echoes in results. Some warrant it, some don't, and it's easier to understand the reasons why than to go in blind on merged echoes when counting results.
If I may ask, it is more of a favor if anything, is there a way to look at the stats within a period of time? I want to look at the stats after 6.0 came out, just so that we can see how these buffs have done something points-wise. On the discussion of the points system, I think it is also important to see "when" they got the points, especially with patches.

Rizen

Smash Legend
:ultganondorf:'s a bottom tier, especially after all the patches, but I think he's being underrated. He's not the "trash" character he's made out to be.
So lets take a trash character as an example. :ultganondorf:has -3s against :ultmegaman::ultpikachu::ultpichu::ultrob:. .
I don't think his MUs are that bad. When I hear -3 I think of :link2: vs :dedede: where powershielding was absurdly OP, Link's grab was complete **** and DDD could use his tether-like grab range to grab Link, chain Dthrows across the stage and wall him with one of the best Bairs in the game until he died. -3 MUs are counterpicks.

I second Ganon and have played some of those MUs, like vs Mega Man. It's more like -2. Ganon gets huge reward on hit and has great hitboxes. Mega Man can wall him with lemons and do MM things but Ganon can also space him with moves like Nair, shield grab and hit really hard from a read. Ganon only needs to get 3 good plays to take a stock.

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion
I think -3 matchups are extremely rare in Ultimate, probably something like 3-7 in total? Pikachu > Ganondorf, Pikachu > Little Mac, Palutena > Isabelle, There are probably others as well, it sometimes takes some time before a matchup is fully developed. The worst characters in this game don't seem nearly as bad as the worst characters in Smash 4, at least (and the worst characters in that game were much better than the worst characters in Brawl).

Gleam

Smash Ace
I'm curious to wonder what everyone thinks of :ultcorrinf: being the only character to remain effectively stagnant as the meta has gone on. Not only is she last place on Orion but has effectively remained where she is for about, IIRC, half a year now. This is a character who has, arguably, gained more numerical buffs throughout the patches than any other, improving frame data, recovery, etc. Nearly everything about this character feels like it should speak to, at least someone average, if mundanely unremarkable.

But at it continues to go on, it's hard to see Corrin as anything less than a poor character. But hey, there's plenty of characters who can be described as that.

So the question is, why does Corrin struggle more than :ultmewtwo::ultkrool::ultkirby::ultlittlemac::ultincineroar::ultganondorf: who also struggle with results. Is it merely coincidence that nobody has bothered to pick up Corrin? Or is the notable lack of results even compared to her "lesser" peers, indication of the "worst character ever?"

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion
Is it merely coincidence that nobody has bothered to pick up Corrin?
I think it's a combination of her being very bad and being fairly bland. Other low tiers at least have some interesting mechanics, whereas Corrin is a fairly generic swordfighter who struggles to do much. There are reasons to play King K. Rool or King Dedede or even Ganondorf and Little Mac, even if they likely are bad characters, but Corrin? Why play Corrin when you could play literally any other swordfighter.

As far as I'm aware, every notable Smash 4 Corrin main has pretty much dropped her at this point. She's in dire need of some buffs (and I don't think the current buffs are nearly enough, though they help).

Rizen

Smash Legend
:ultcorrin:'s fine; she's probably mid tier. (Damn I used the male icon and called her she) She can combo from Dtilt and has fairly good frame data and hitboxes for a sword character. She's basically a watered down cross between Ike and Lucina. She just has no people playing her. Why? Who knows. She's not bad enough to be a low tier hero and not good enough to have a reason to use but that describes several characters like Robin. I just realized we have Robin and Joker, when's Batman showing up:ultmetaknight:?

________
A former :ultganondorf: main (who now uses ZSS) once told me his worst MUs were Chrom and Lucina. It makes sense; The have about the same range as Ganon, one of his strengths, but better disjoint, are much more mobile and fast to attack. At least with little critters Ganon can use his huge hitboxes on things like Ftilt and Nair to wall them before they can hit him.

But MUs are largely subjective. Another person could say Ganon's worse vs someone else. Whatever the case, I don't think he loses as hard as -3 or worse. His reward for hitting is too high. Ganon might not win many MUs but if he outplays a little he can be scary.

Last edited:

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Its probably because people only played Corrin in SSB4 for the broken pin stuff, and they all know it ain't ever coming back. Not to the level they enjoyed/abused.

Fates' mixed popularity dying off doesn't help.

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord
Yeah even characters that are/were bottom tier have devoted fans of the character or thier games. Who stick with them though thick and thin

i.e :ultkirby::ultjigglypuff::ultganondorf::ultlittlemac:

Corrin does not have that luxury. He/She is one most divisive charactets in the FE series (Until Eldgeuard in 3H) that headlined one of the most divisive games in the FE series.

Then again there is the curious case of the mass Exodus of :ultcloud: in Ultimate. Even if he got considetabally nerfed from Smash 4. He and FF7 always have a devoted fanbase, especially with the remake coming out in the near future

Last edited:

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
My perspective; Corrin was pretty stagnant for a while in Smash 4. Nowhere near as stagnant as she is in Ult, but still. I think, as a long-time swordie user, she's "fine". Probably mid-low. Usable, but nothing special about her, and completely outclassed by more swordies. Nobody wants to use her in turn because nobody really likes her because she comes from one of the most disliked FE games and was added on controversial pretenses.

Ryuga has no reason to use her because Ike and arguably Hero are better; Zackray has no reason to use her because most characters he uses are far better; Cosmos has no reason to use her because Inkling is far better. With your playberbase gone and a wide selection of swordies, the worst ones will be the least used, unless they have dedicated fandoms. In this respect, Corrin got the short end of the stick. This is why, imo, Kirby (a worse character than Corrin imo) has better peaks & results.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Yeah even characters that are/were bottom tier have devoted fans of the character or thier games. Who stick with them though thick and thin

i.e :ultkirby::ultjigglypuff::ultganondorf::ultlittlemac:

Corrin does not have that luxury. He/She is one most divisive charactets in the FE series (Until Eldgeuard in 3H) that headlined one of the most divisive games in the FE series.

Then again there is the curious case of the mass Exodus of :ultcloud: in Ultimate. Even if he got considetabally nerfed from Smash 4. He and FF7 always have a devoted fanbase, especially with the remake coming out in the near future
Maybe most die hard FFVII fans don't own Switches.

Fates was divisive, yes to some, but casually it was very popular. Not that all this popularity talk probably matters that much when it comes to the home games. How many Smash pros play a fighter because they like the series or game? I'm reminded of, I think ZeRo, who didn't even know Lucina was royalty. How many actually take the time to learn about their mains? I mean, unless you outright hate one, wouldn't you pick moreso on moveset and playstyle?

Now, the Corrins most likely suffer from perceived blandness like Lucina, but unlike her, they aren't really good. That, and like Cloud, and probably Meta Knight, suffer to some degree from not broken anymore syndrome.

SirLink

Smash Rookie
I play quite a bit of :ultcorrinf: myself like I do for all FE characters and agree with what has been said. Ever since her recovery buff she's not trash, but she's not particularly good either. In Smash 4 she was more appealing largely because her specials were a lot better, two of which (Dragon Fang Shot/Dragon Lunge) were also very unique compared to other swordies. Let's look at them individually:

Dragon Fang Shot (Neutral B): You would think a projectile would be a good thing to have as a swordie but DFS is slow, loses to a lot of faster opposing options and has a significantly weaker stun effect when it does hit. The chomp still hurts and kills well but it's much harder to get a confirm into it unless someone somehow gets hit by a charged shot point-blank.

Dragon Lunge (Side B): What used to be an oppressive option in Smash 4 is still a good tool but it's now mainly useful for whiff punishing. The kick can be punished by a majority of the cast now and can get Corrin in a lot of trouble for using it recklessly, though jumping out of it or cancelling can help as a mix-up. Perhaps the scariest thing about it now is its potential at ledge, where it can safely poke through the stage and kill very early if it catches recoveries. The hitbox doesn't linger though, so precise timing is required.

Dragon Ascent (Up B): While this move is still lacklustre as an actual recovery, buffs actually turned it into a decent kill move to catch unsuspecting opponents with. Corrin is intangible from Frame 7-17 just before the hitbox comes out and I've even caught people in scramble situations OoS with it. It's best to keep this as a rare mix-up though, because a miss results in a hard punish.

Counter Surge (Down B): This move caused the most uproar in Smash 4 for a good reason because it was over-tuned as hell pre-nerfs. In Ultimate this move is merely decent. It can still kill, but mostly requires the opponent to overextend with a powerful move. I'd say it's a bit too weak now given that you can't edgeguard with it like a traditional counter but it's easy to see why they played it safe after its degenerate risk-reward ratio in Smash 4.

This leaves :ultcorrinf: without any extraordinary specials that would make her an appealing pick over other swordies. To top it off, she's still rather slow with a poor reward from grabs and can struggle to kill. Other characters simply do things better than her, so her current situation makes sense. She does have some good things but they simply aren't enough.

I'd wager that she'd need very significant buffs to attract a playerbase again as opposed to the buffs thus far which were nice for the few people who like playing her already but didn't give reasons for others to pick her up competitively. I doubt the balancing team wants to go this far, though.

Last edited:

TennisBall

Smash Journeyman
When I think -3 in this game I think of Little Mac vs Pac Man, Ness vs Game and Watch, Lucina vs Dr Mario, you know, the really bad stuff.
(And yes, I know that Ness vs G&W might not be -3 but I really think it is.)

NotLiquid

Smash Lord
Dreamhack Winter 2019 Top 8

Winners
Space :ultinkling: vs Armada :ultinkling:
Mr.R :ultchrom::ultyounglink: vs Leffen :ultpokemontrainerf:

Losers
Ogey :ultfalcon::ultwolf: vs Flow :ultroy:
PEW :ultness: vs Rage :ultbayonetta:

Last edited:

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion
When I think -3 in this game I think of Little Mac vs Pac Man, Ness vs Game and Watch, Lucina vs Dr Mario, you know, the really bad stuff.
From what I know, none of these are -3. -3 is like a 20-80 MU (or 35-65 depending on which system you use), such matchups seem extremely rare in this game.

Little Mac vs Pac-Man is not as bad as in Smash 4 from my understanding, since Little Mac can destroy the trampoline, and the trampoline coming out frame 4 instead of frame 1 makes it a bit worse too.

I'm not really sure where you get Ness vs Game & Watch from, BestNess thinks it's -1 for Ness, Maister thinks it's +2 for G&W, Why do you think it's -3 for Ness?

I don't think Lucina is even close to having any +3 MUs, Dr. Mario is probably +2.

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord
About Gannomdorf

I mean yeah he is always scary to do his faw power and can take stocks with 2 good reada and such. But with the the patches in this game buffing many low tiers while he has brrn ignored. He is likey now the worst superheavy, but also a contender for among the worse im the game, possibly with :ultisabelle:.

He literally has all the worst traits and stigmas of a superheavy (Big, Slow, Combofood, Hard-Zoned, poor recovery) where others have some from of option or gimmick to help with those issues.

Gannondorf himself is also prone to losing stocks by losing one of two exchangrs as well. He can die as early as he can kill if he ever gets sent offstage.

Still even if he is hypotheotcally the worst character in the game, he is still exponentialy better than he was in Brawl were he also was the worst

Last edited:

Envoy of Chaos

Smash Ace
I'm not really sure where you get Ness vs Game & Watch from, BestNess thinks it's -1 for Ness, Maister thinks it's +2 for G&W, Why do you think it's -3 for Ness?
It’s a particular matchup. Neutral is honestly rather even of an exchange between the two. You don’t ever want to hit his shield with anything but you can fade outside of up b OOS range if you are fading back with your fair or bair, fair requires a bit less of a commitment as it’s not as safe. Contrary to popular belief, bucket really isn’t a problem in the MU. Bucket filled by PKF deals like 21ish % is even safe on hit at low percentage and won’t kill till around 120 and that’s at ledge with rag, the mutihits don’t do much damage which is why. This let’s Ness still make use of PKF which is important as Ness cannot contest G&W’s bair and doesn’t have to always play in range of his absurd smash attacks he can freely throw out when at kill percentages. G&W absorbing the fire really doesn’t benefit him too much as now he can be PKT’d nor can he use his bucket to gimp a recovering Ness. G&W’s best bet is to just up b out which is perfectly fine because Ness can just trap his landing from that point, the interaction heavily favors Ness even if he isn’t directly hitting his opponent out of fire. G&W is absorbable which is nice but it really doesn’t play too much a factor in the MU aside avoiding landing onto some platforms he may be covering with a bomb, it’s usually better to just use up air to negate the bomb and hit G&W simultaneously. The hardest part for Ness in neutral really is just making sure not to make mistakes when spacing so he doesn’t have to deal with trying to land after an Up B (it’s hard to land in the MU due to up air) and not getting caught by bairs/nairs.

You can’t push advantage really far against G&W but that’s fine Ness will out damage G&W per hit and won’t have to win neutral as much. Contrary to popular believe when off stage (No it does suck for Ness off stage against G&W if he has to use up b it’s important to never let your jump go to waste, recovering high is usually preferred if you can clear his full hop height and avoid bair (as up air will never kill you for going over him)) but off stage for G&W isn’t great against Ness. Up smash will beat out G&W’s up b if he isn’t able to clear ledge and kill after 90%. This means he has to clear past ledge with a beefy up b (or start the up b closer to ledge) to avoid yo-yo by attempting to hit ness with the Up B, which is fine if you shield it G&W is now above the ledge and can only land with fair or nair at this point both lose to back air putting him back off stage likely in an unrecoverable position.

I think it’s closer to even if anything. If anyone had an advantage I would give it to G&W. I paint a pretty picture but playing around in neutral is not the best and getting caught above or with G&W back to you is bad. But I do think the MU is better for Ness in Ultimate than in 4.

blackghost

Smash Champion
lately bayo is confusing me. her results arent awful these days and as im writing this RAGE just beat the **** out of armada in tournament losers semi finals. Armada looked cluess and he got flown to the moon during the set. He also got witch timed at least 4 times.
Maybe i was wrong about her being super bad but i still think she's just a knowledge check more than a good character. But between purity, shadowPR, RAGE,Lima, and a few others she consistently produces at locals and smaller events, but when nationals and majors happen she never produces major results.

What are people's thoughts on her?

|RK|

Smash Marketer
I don't think you'll be able to judge Bayo by the person who REALLY doesn't know the MU.

Envoy of Chaos

Smash Ace
To be fair Armada didn’t play S4, anyone who’s played S4 enough knows what Bayo does. She isn’t the same character obviously but you can still translate a lot of the counterplay between games.

She’s okay, any character able to add damage like she can off a few conversions simply isn’t bad even if they can’t kill you. Its not unlikely you’ll run into a bair, get called out with a smash or get witch time’s throughout a set, especially if you don’t know how to play against her.

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion
I don't think Armada has ever played any good Bayonetta in Ultimate either, so he really didn't know the MU. Leffen did and one the set vs Rage (though he did drop a game). Anyway, Bayonetta isn't terrible, but I don't think she's actually good, she has some MUs that she really hates running into.

Rizen

Smash Legend
:ultbayonetta1:'s frame data sucks. And I thought Link had bad frame data. I've only played vs her a few times and was unimpressed but YL probably has a good MU vs her. She can be scary if she drags you to a bad position but generally seems underwhelming. Probably lower mid tier imo.

Last edited:

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
my perspective is that oryon/armada got beat because they don't know the MU at all from 4. They were Rage's best wins, and bayo can coast on mu inexperience because you may not know how to DI.

It's one of bayo's better runs and Lima did recently win a big USW over trela/awestin, so maybe i've been underestimating her

KirbySquad101

Smash Ace
Time to play catch up lol:

- On the subject of OrionStats, outside of Vienna, every new tournament that was added to the list was a Category 1/2 event; in that regard, it makes sense that barely anyone changed positions (:ultfalcon: stayed exactly where he was at, and still only has a 5 point deficit from :ultgnw:'s spot).

- I did a write-up of my thoughts on :ultcorrinf: a while back, but for the TLDR version of my thoughts on her:

• Has a decently strong mix of :ultlucina:'s range and :ultchrom:'s juggle-combo ability; FAir, UAir, NAir, and Pin all fall under this mix, which leads to her having an effective neutral.
  • Lacks practical kill power outside of UThrow, UAir, and BAir, and only one of those moves can actually kill fairly early.
  • Has a niche, but said niche isn't as much of a standout compared to the niche of characters like :ultkirby: or :ultkrool:, which makes her far less appealing to pick up in comparison to other low/mid tiers. Can almost be replaced by :ultchrom: in pretty much every category beyond having a better recovery and slightly better range.
  • Still find her an underrated mid-tier that's overly pounded on because of the point above.
  • Pretty much only SHADIC is left as far as notable Corrin players are concerned, and even then, he uses :ultinkling: alongside her (what is it with Corrin players in particular that are picking up Inkling?):ultluigi:

- Most of Maister's reasoning behind his match-up placements generally come from the track record he has against the high level players he fights.That's pretty much the basis behind his reasoning for thinking the :ultgnw:-:ultness: match-up is a hard win for GnW, given that he has a really good track record against Ness; after all, he's defeated ATATA, Gackt, and BestNess, 3 major Ness players. Given that he's pretty much a top 10/15 player, it's not surprising for him to think GnW loses only 5 match-ups under this mentality (I personally think he loses/goes even with more, but that's just me). That said, it is interesting to see how much his mindset in discussing match-up spreads greatly differs from Dark Wizzy's, a player who has an amazing track record against both :ultlucina: and :ultshulk:, but continues to list them as :ultmario:'s worst match-ups. In comparison, a lot of DW's reasoning behind his match-ups boil down moreso towards theorycrafting and the analysis of each match-up rather than how well he PERSONALLY does against each character with Mario, which leads to him having the more realistic match-up chart of the two in my opinion.

Now as for my thoughts on the :ultgnw:-:ultness: match-up... couldn't tell you, I actually haven't watched a lot of GnW in action against Ness. I should probably study some of Maister's sets against the Ness players he fights to get a better idea of where he's coming from though.

- :ultbayonetta: is kind of an oddball. Her frame data, like Rizen pointed is out, is really... not good (which I think is even worse for her compared to characters like :ultlink::ultganondorf: because at least those two have the weight/power to justify their crummy frame data), but to offset this, she has an expansive combo tree that will usually net her an easy 30%~60% damage against most characters (or sometimes, death). In that regard, getting tripped up/not knowing what you're doing against Bayo can be very costly given that she can sometimes punish you so hard for it, which I'm assuming is what happened against Armada. BAir spam can also be fairly tricky to play around (especially near the ledge) given that Bayo actually doesn't give you much room to punish her when she's doing it (it's 35 frames long, which is about on par with :ultinkling:'s BAir duration wise). That said, she doesn't have much options for killing beyond BAir spam, a hard read off of Witch Twist/Smash Attacks, or a FThrow kill at around 200%, or the off-chance you get a KO off of one of her combos. I don't really know where'd I place her, I guess somewhere around low tier or lower mid tier? I do think she's done enough to show that she isn't among the worst, and it's good to see that players like tamim and Lima haven't given up on her.

Also, for what it's worth, Salem actually did do fairly well against Maister at NaS with his Bayo, and his set against 8BitMan continues to prove that Bayo always has a niche at being a pain in the neck against :ultrob:.

Last edited:

blackghost

Smash Champion
my perspective is that oryon/armada got beat because they don't know the MU at all from 4. They were Rage's best wins, and bayo can coast on mu inexperience because you may not know how to DI.

It's one of bayo's better runs and Lima did recently win a big USW over trela/awestin, so maybe i've been underestimating her
lima is still the bayo when it comes to fully playing the character. he does things offstage that look like he's cheating. he still has the best combo game. The community wore him out and he's probably never doing another major. But bayo frame data is always gonna hold her down.

on a different note this is a match of a ryu dismantling snake. while often tiers apart this match demonstrates why ryu still has a solid place vs zoners in the meta.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Salem's Bayo is still actually the best, IMO. The issue is, the last time he played her he could not find kills easily at all.

Also, that's crazy y'all are gonna be like "wow this char won a local over two non-PGR players, she has sauce maybe?"

And when Kirby gets 17th and 13th at A and B tiers "idk guys, still not good"

And I want to let you know not because I want to discuss the character with y'all (ever), but because I see your logic and it upsets me deeply.

THAT IS ALL

TennisBall

Smash Journeyman
Salem's Bayo is still actually the best, IMO. The issue is, the last time he played her he could not find kills easily at all.

Also, that's crazy y'all are gonna be like "wow this char won a local over two non-PGR players, she has sauce maybe?"

And when Kirby gets 17th and 13th at A and B tiers "idk guys, still not good"

And I want to let you know not because I want to discuss the character with y'all (ever), but because I see your logic and it upsets me deeply.

THAT IS ALL
The answer is that Kirby has been bad for years now, and hasn't been outside of Bottom 20 since 64. So, because of this, people are very reluctant to call him good yet. Furthermore, despite his buffs, Kirby still has really big flaws and argueably his main problems haven't been fixed. He still has garbage approaching with some aerials,Down Tilt, and Back Air, which take commitment and any disjoint will quickly ruin that. He still has awful air speed making his recovery overall pretty bad even with six jumps and a directional airdodge. He's still super light without having any of the real power that characters like Mewtwo, Pichu, Fox, etc have to balance their weight out.
In terms of Bayo, I wouldn't know, I've never seen Salem play Bayo so I can't judge accordingly.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
lima is still the bayo when it comes to fully playing the character. he does things offstage that look like he's cheating. he still has the best combo game. The community wore him out and he's probably never doing another major. But bayo frame data is always gonna hold her down.

on a different note this is a match of a ryu dismantling snake. while often tiers apart this match demonstrates why ryu still has a solid place vs zoners in the meta.
Eh.

Shaku blows up nades.

A simple interaction, but one with massive consequences in this match.

Sometimes that one different interaction is all it takes.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
The answer is that Kirby has been bad for years now, and hasn't been outside of Bottom 20 since 64. So, because of this, people are very reluctant to call him good yet. Furthermore, despite his buffs, Kirby still has really big flaws and argueably his main problems haven't been fixed. He still has garbage approaching with some aerials,Down Tilt, and Back Air, which take commitment and any disjoint will quickly ruin that. He still has awful air speed making his recovery overall pretty bad even with six jumps and a directional airdodge. He's still super light without having any of the real power that characters like Mewtwo, Pichu, Fox, etc have to balance their weight out.
In terms of Bayo, I wouldn't know, I've never seen Salem play Bayo so I can't judge accordingly.
https://youtu.be/HgzNBqsMhn4

^This is the most recent Salem Bayo set. Mainly fishing for bair and reads for kills. But the Bayo is still mad clean.

Top Bottom