• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Competitive Character Impressions 2.0

?

• Total voters

Lacrimosa

Smash Lord
The tier list is honestly kind of solid. A few placements I feel off (for example I think Zelda, Dedede, and TLink can be ranked higher), but that is nothing unusual.

Also, it is kind of tragic on how far all the non-Bowser super-heavyweights have fallen.
it's really a shame that Ven can't do anything right now but school is of course more important than Smash.
After all, he managed to take a set from FOW at the weekly yesterday (still lost to him in GF but it was last-hit), so he definitely has improved a lot.

He also started to make good use of Zelda's dTilt which is great because it is "accepted" that this move leads into nothing.

NotLiquid

Smash Lord
Top tier section looks fine. That book is basically written at this point and as much as you could argue positional minutiae, Thinkaman's histrionic post from a while back ago applies.

Tier disparity, I'd swap Young Link's position with Ken, bump Ness and Banjo to bottom of high tier, and bump Plant up to bottom of mid-tier.

Other than that, it's a better tier list than most of the single tier lists pros put out these days.

KirbySquad101

Smash Ace
I think the list is fairly solid overall, outside of a few questionable spots. I do find it interesting that despite being constantly regarded as a Top 5 (sometimes even Top 3) character, there is little to no interest in picking up the supposedly broken :ultpikachu:, even after ESAM's recent success with the character (I'm guessing it's because the character is hard to play? I could be wrong, however). Even :ultgnw: and :ultshulk: have that more going for them with (Sinji and zackray for G&W and Shuton for Shulk). At the same time, I have a feeling that characters like Pikachu or Shulk will always be regarded as top tier threats no matter what because that's what social media views them as for the most part.

G&W placement looks solid too, not too far off from his actually OrionStats ranking (24th/25th vs 26th).

What more or less caught my eye is how much player opinion seems to diverge for the mid-tier characters, particularly :ultbayonetta::ulthero::ultlucas: and :ultduckhunt:.

:ultsonic: and :ulthero: have the greatest deviations in terms of opinion of where they're at. In the case of Sonic, his placements go as high at 19th (Raito) to as low as 62nd (VoiD), while for Hero, his placements go as high as 20th (BobbyWasabi) to as low as 66th (Greward). Hero's kind of makes sense given that he's a new character, but from the sounds of it, people's opinions of the blue blur are just all over the place.

Last edited:

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
[Oops, sorry about the double post]

Here is top 24 for Thunder Smash 3:

Winner's
Larry Lurr:ultwolf: vs Dark Wizzy:ultmario:
Cosmos:ultinkling: vs Tsu:ultlucario::ultjoker::ulthero:
Razo:ultpeach: vs Salem:ultsnake::ulthero:
ESAM:ultpikachu: vs Tea:ultpacman:

Loser's
MuteAce:ultpeach: vs Superjamie
Lea:ultgreninja: vs Ben Gold:ultkrool:
Raito:ultbanjokazooie::ultduckhunt: vs K9sbruce:ultwolf::ultsheik:
Shuton:ultolimar: vs Omni (Yes, the YouTuber Omni)
JiRo vs Young Eevey:ultlarry:
Kameme:ultmegaman::ultwario: vs Ketchup:ultludwig:
MVD:ultsnake: vs Nitro:ultrichter:
Marss:ultzss: vs KiraFlax:ultrob::ultdarkpit:

Last edited:

KirbySquad101

Smash Ace
While Salem defeated Raito pretty convincingly, he had a much better idea of had to play around Command Selection this time; he was definitely keeping up with Salem much more than the last time they fought.

In other news, shuton :ultolimar: 3-1s Larry Lurr :ultwolf: to advance to Top 8 in the Loser's.

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
Thunder Smash 3 Top 8

Winner's
Dark Wizzy:ultmario: vs Cosmos:ultinkling:
Salem:ultsnake::ulthero: vs Tea:ultpacman:

Loser's
Shuton:ultolimar: vs Lea:ultgreninja:
Marss:ultzss: vs Kameme:ultmegaman::ultwario:

KirbySquad101

Smash Ace
Holy cow, Cosmos looked so on point in in that set compared to DW; the latter missed a lot of his confirms and kept throwing out random NAirs in the air. Cosmos knew when to knock him out in the air every time, and did a really good job snowballing his lead.

Cosmos :ultinkling: 3-1s Dark Wizzy :ultmario: to advance to WFs. Looks like we’re due for a Pac-Man-Inkling showdown.

Last edited:

Cheryl~

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1511-1076-9918
Salem :ulthero: 3-2s Shuton :ultolimar: to advance to Losers Semis, netting himself a Top 5 PGR win in the process. Hero definitely seems to have a decent niche against zoners but is by no means unbeatable as Tea has shown. This set was also quite close, with the first game being a good showcase of Hero's weakness to being rushed down even by Olimar.

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
Something to note about different player habits:

1) Salem's :ulthero: definitely exists for zoning and especially setup characters. Something he does more often than in the past is more Frizz and Woosh OoS. While his strategy of using him against more passive set-up characters worked for Raito and Shuton, when you come across a zoning/set-up character that is more aggressive like Tea's Pac-Man, then it sort of falls apart. He also seems somewhat stage dependent, as most of Salem's wins, especially against Shuton, was on larger stages where he has more room to setup his spell buffs.

2) Cosmos:ultinkling: is on fire. One of his major additions to his gameplan is more aggressive edgeguarding. On his set against Tsu, he goes much harder against him offstage, and if his throw setup isn't going lead to up air, throw 'em offstage. He sometimes goes off with aerials, or ledgetrap with Splat Bombs, down tilts, and (most importantly in the case of Cosmos' new gameplan) down smash. Definitely some new important advancements to Inkling's metagame that I heard that other Inklings are utilizing better.
Between this, as well Armada's and Space's recent performances, the character is getting some resurgence recently, especially considering that other high tiers like Chroy, R.O.B., Fox, and even Shulk have been advancing past her prior to this.

Holy cow, Cosmos looked so on point in in that set compared to DW; the latter missed a lot of his confirms and kept throwing out random NAirs in the air. Cosmos knew when to knock him out in the air every time, and did a really good job snowballing his lead.

Cosmos :ultinkling: 3-0s Dark Wizzy :ultmario: to advance to WFs. Looks like we’re due for a Pac-Man-Inkling showdown.
Cosmos won 3-1.

Salem :ulthero: 3-2s Shuton :ultolimar: to advance to Losers Semis, netting himself a Top 5 PGR win in the process. Hero definitely seems to have a decent niche against zoners but is by no means unbeatable as Tea has shown. This set was also quite close, with the first game being a good showcase of Hero's weakness to being rushed down even by Olimar.
It was a pretty close one, and also a pretty wacky one as well. Not sure why Shuton didn't ban T&C at game 4, but that is in the past now.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On a side note: who in the dev team programmed ZSS' Flip Jump?!

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord
Something to note about different player habits:

1) Salem's :ulthero: definitely exists for zoning and especially setup characters. Something he does more often than in the past is more Frizz and Woosh OoS. While his strategy of using him against more passive set-up characters worked for Raito and Shuton, when you come across a zoning/set-up character that is more aggressive like Tea's Pac-Man, then it sort of falls apart. He also seems somewhat stage dependent, as most of Salem's wins, especially against Shuton, was on larger stages where he has more room to setup his spell buffs.

2) Cosmos:ultinkling: is on fire. One of his major additions to his gameplan is more aggressive edgeguarding. On his set against Tsu, he goes much harder against him offstage, and if his throw setup isn't going lead to up air, throw 'em offstage. He sometimes goes off with aerials, or ledgetrap with Splat Bombs, down tilts, and (most importantly in the case of Cosmos' new gameplan) down smash. Definitely some new important advancements to Inkling's metagame that I heard that other Inklings are utilizing better.
Between this, as well Armada's and Space's recent performances, the character is getting some resurgence recently, especially considering that other high tiers like Chroy, R.O.B., Fox, and even Shulk have been advancing past her prior to this.

Cosmos won 3-1.

It was a pretty close one, and also a pretty wacky one as well. Not sure why Shuton didn't ban T&C at game 4, but that is in the past now.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On a side note: who in the dev team programmed ZSS' Flip Jump?!

There was a problem fetching the tweet

It is ironic that it is was Corrin that was the victim, Bcuase ZSS Flip-Jump now feels very much like the Smash 4 "Pin" of Ultimate. Only possibly even more abusable since it basically is a "get out of disadvatage free card" move where simialr moves from 4 got nerfed hard in this game.

A move you can throw out in neutral that csn kill very early if it his, and even if its blocked or whiffs it can rarely be punished. Where it seems like many MU's will aslo depend on how well you can deal with that one special.

Last edited:

NotLiquid

Smash Lord
What can give even the most seasoned of players cold feet is the notion of having a recovering opponent counter you with a reversal option, at worst that can translate into an unexpected stage spike or a stray back-air kill at early percents (heavies are pretty good at this specifically). It's the hidden caveat that makes characters like Ness a little scarier to intercept unless your character sports a counter.

With Inkling, your kit shouldn't even make that an option. Arguably what lulls a lot of players into the complacency of off-stage play is that the squid has an immensely strong ledge trapping game which sports far less consequence-free outcomes in the short-term, and I think it's great that most players realize that, but the remedy of Inkling's oft-touted "can't kill" issues in part has always been found in their magnanimous aerial kit. When you have the capability to recover from virtually anywhere on the stage, a FAir that when sweetspotted is basically guaranteed death and when sourspotted an incredibly devious attack that swallows jumps, and the BAir of the Gods, what are you doing not pushing your advantage and making opponents scared of being off-stage? Rather than using your Splat bombs to cover ledge get-ups, start using them to cover aerial space. It's one of the few projectiles in the game that actually allows for some sick nasty area denial against recovering opponents while you're still in control of the character.

I'd say between Space, Armada, and Cosmos' uptick in Inkling performance, this has been the difference maker for the most of the part lately. That and abusing the hell out of Inkling's busted jab when playing footsies. Cosmos still usually goes for grabs and you can tell he has a habit of fishing, but what makes that dash dance so deadly is Inkling is always going to pile on damage if they start being cognizant of the opponent always anticipating a certain option (this was something Space was a little too slow to pick up on against his Glutonny rematch; Glu was blocking a whole lot more and Space wasn't going for grabs).

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
Thunder Smash 3

1st: Tea:ultpacman:
2nd: Marss:ultzss:
3rd: Cosmos:ultinkling:
4th: Salem:ulthero::ultsnake:
5th: Dark Wizzy:ultmario:
5th: Shuton:ultolimar:
7th: Kameme:ultmegaman::ultwario:
7th: Lea:ultgreninja:
9th: ESAM:ultpikachu:
9th: Razo:ultpeach:
9th: Larry Lurr:ultwolf:
9th: Tsu:ultlucario:
13th: MuteAce:ultpeach:
13th: MVD:ultsnake:
13th: Raito:ultduckhunt::ultbanjokazooie:
13th: Young Eevey:ultlarry:

Nebunera

Smash Apprentice
Really cool to see :ultpacman: win a major! I think this would be the list of characters that have won a major, I don't know if I forgot anyone though.

Nathan Richardson

Smash Ace
NNID
Zeratrix
I've noticed that pokemon trainer isn't making great strides in tourneys as of late. I didn't even see them as a secondary or pocket in recent tourney discussions. Is pokemon trainer dropping off?

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
I've noticed that pokemon trainer isn't making great strides in tourneys as of late. I didn't even see them as a secondary or pocket in recent tourney discussions. Is pokemon trainer dropping off?
Not really. The main Pokemon Trainer players aren't really attending that much is the main reason why. Tweek still plays and does really well with the trainer.

Something to note is that Puppeh's results did drop off this season, and Wishes seems to be off of the Trainer for good (although he did lose to Ned's Trainer at Big House). The Trainer is still going strong, although has probably has taken a little bit of a break.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Really cool to see :ultpacman: win a major! I think this would be the list of characters that have won a major, I don't know if I forgot anyone though.

There were 86 entrants. What, are we calling everything a major now?
Ike feels kinda out of place in that list. At least in the current Meta.
Ike's a weird case. He had some of the best rep last season and now virtually none. It's important to look at long term trends and not get tunnel vision with results. Ike's not a worse character than when Leo played him.

Ike probably got hurt the most by DLC just by virtue of his players choosing new characters (:ulthero::ultjoker:)

Last edited:

Nathan Richardson

Smash Ace
NNID
Zeratrix
Not really. The main Pokemon Trainer players aren't really attending that much is the main reason why. Tweek still plays and does really well with the trainer.

Something to note is that Puppeh's results did drop off this season, and Wishes seems to be off of the Trainer for good (although he did lose to Ned's Trainer at Big House). The Trainer is still going strong, although has probably has taken a little bit of a break.
Still, does that mean he might not be as strong as originally thought? The main strength of pokemon trainer is having three different characters with vastly different fighting strategies, strengths, and weaknesses allowing for mind games and the fact that those characters can switch at any time, but individually those characters are......sub par due to having a single solitary shared special.

Last edited:

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
Still, does that mean he might not be as strong as originally thought? The main strength of pokemon trainer is having three different characters with vastly different fighting strategies, strengths, and weaknesses allowing for mind games and the fact that those characters can switch at any time, but individually those characters are......sub par due to having a single solitary shared special.
Nah. Trainer is still #4 in Orion Stats and one of the most represented characters in the game.
Again, it is mostly due to his best players being slightly less frequent at higher level events than before.

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord
There were 86 entrants. What, are we calling everything a major now?

Ike's a weird case. He had some of the best rep last season and now virtually none. It's important to look at long term trends and not get tunnel vision with results. Ike's not a worse character than when Leo played him.

Ike probably got hurt the most by DLC just by virtue of his players choosing new characters (:ulthero::ultjoker:)

Ike is the once case where a character that was predicted to fall off, actullay did fall off. Even post-nerf :ultpichu: still has has held on to get some pretty good results.

Ike actullay kinda suffers from the same thing as :ultdk:. Where he got one or two really good tools now that make them seem a lot better than they were before, until you realize that so msny other things got less notable nerfs that really stack up.
Ike is the very definition of linear in this game. There is basically one tool he is going to use to get stocks at kill percents and thst is nair and confirms of it.

I mean who else is considered predictable im rhos regard...Fox, Lucina. They still got way more options and tricks up their sleve than Ike does. Ultimate im general seems to punish being "predictable" harder than msny other titles before it with things like the parry systrm

Last edited:

1FC0

Smash Lord
We got a really great designed character, with beautiful animations and an unique gameplay, and that's already more than we can ask.
Do you have any idea how expensive DLC characters actually are? Imagine if every character was as expensive as a DLC character, the game would be way overpriced, Hero's uniqueness is great and personally I love playing as him, but since we paid a high price for Hero it's definitely not more than we could reasonably ask for.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Ike is the once case where a character that was predicted to fall off, actullay did fall off. Even post-nerf :ultpichu: still has has held on to get some pretty good results.

Ike actullay kinda suffers from the same thing as :ultdk:. Where he got one or two really good tools now that make them seem a lot better than they were before, until you realize that so msny other things got less notable nerfs that really stack up.
Ike is the very definition of linear in this game. There is basically one tool he is going to use to get stocks at kill percents and thst is nair and confirms of it.

I mean who else is considered predictable im rhos regard...Fox, Lucina. They still got way more options and tricks up their sleve than Ike does. Ultimate im general seems to punish being "predictable" harder than msny other titles before it with things like the parry systrm
Characters are not inherently predictable or unpredictable. It's the players who are. If a character has a good option like Ike's Nair they'll use it a lot but that doesn't mean they have to. Ike can still go for dash grabs, spaced tilts, etc and he has pretty good reward off those.

Parries aren't very good in this game. They're high risk with a small window yet don't give you much of a frame advantage. In general moves are safer due to lower landing lag, input lag and better mobility.

blackghost

Smash Champion
Characters are not inherently predictable or unpredictable. It's the players who are. If a character has a good option like Ike's Nair they'll use it a lot but that doesn't mean they have to. Ike can still go for dash grabs, spaced tilts, etc and he has pretty good reward off those.
gotta disagree there. ike played a very predictable linear gameplan. it was so linear that many many people expected ike to fall off. even as mk leo was winning with him. the other options you listed because of ike's low speed on the ground and in the air they arent good options to go for. elite characters in most fighting games mix up there options but the best characters can switch from one great option to another. plus ike was only good as people were learning the game in general.

i do agree that parries in this game arent worth it for much of the cast that doesn't have crazy good frame data. my main actually gets nothing off a parry except an uptilt. parries should be more rewarding.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Y'all talking bout how parry is ass?

I like what I'm reading.

Rizen

Smash Legend
gotta disagree there. ike played a very predictable linear gameplan. it was so linear that many many people expected ike to fall off. even as mk leo was winning with him. the other options you listed because of ike's low speed on the ground and in the air they arent good options to go for. elite characters in most fighting games mix up there options but the best characters can switch from one great option to another. plus ike was only good as people were learning the game in general.

i do agree that parries in this game arent worth it for much of the cast that doesn't have crazy good frame data. my main actually gets nothing off a parry except an uptilt. parries should be more rewarding.
Ike has good footsies. He has a f4 jab, f7 Dtilt that combos (YL's is f8) , grab combos and good disjoint. I feel like people just watched Leo's Ike, who was Nair happy, and have never seen a ground based Ike. It's not that he lacks options it's that Nair happens to be a ridiculously good option that overshadows his other stuff.

It's no accident he's considered the worst MU for characters like YL and G&W (according to Maester).

Last edited:

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Parry isn't amazing, but it's also one of those things where people feel differently based on their character.

Improving the advantage on a parry will further skew the advantage towards chars who already get a decent punish from them.

That said, I feel that aerial and grounded parries are a little different, which also makes any sort of buff to it feel weird.

Parrying an aerial is almost entirely free, and the reward represents that. But parrying a grounded move (or projectile) is way more risky than it should be, and the reward is often non-existent.

I wouldn't know how to solve this problem, but I'd consider the whole scope.

Best solution I've seen is to make parry harder to do, but more rewarding. In conjunction with improving shields to avoid poking, I believe this could provide an ideal risk/reward without going back to "shield grab, the game"

1FC0

Smash Lord
Best solution is to drop parrying altogether and bring back power shielding.

KirbySquad101

Smash Ace
After looking at Neburena's list, I decided to conjure up a list myself, that being a compilation of all the "peak" placements for characters this season:

https://i.imgur.com/EPlKx3G.jpg

The Peaks Themselves Came From the Following:

1. :ultjoker: - MKLeo won Super Smash Con and EVO using Joker.
2. :ultpalutena: - Nairo won Mainstage using Palutena.
3. :ultrob: - zackray placed won The Big House 9 using mostly R.O.B.
4. :ultpeach: - Samsora won Shine using Peach.
5. :ultpacman: - Tea won Thunder Smash 3 using Pac-Man.
6. :ultzss: - Marss won Smash Factor 8 using ZSS.
7. :ultpikachu: - ESAM won Glitch 7 using Pikachu.
8. :ultmarth: - MKLeo won Ultimate Fighting Arena using Marth and Joker.
. :ultpokemontrainerf:- Tweek won Low Tier City 7 using PKMN Trainer.
10. :ultwario::ultmegaman: - Kameme won Switchfest using Wario and Mega Man, and Abadango won Umebura SP 4 using Wario.
11. :ultolimar: - shuton won Umebura SP5 using Olimar.
12. :ultgnw: - Maister placed 5th at Super Smash Con and 3rd at The Big House 9 using Mr. Game and Watch.
13. :ultmario: - Dark Wizzy placed 5th at Shine using Mario, and Lui$ placed 7th at Super Smash Con using Fox and Mario.
14. :ultduckhunt: - Raito placed 5th at EVO using Duck Hunt.
15. :ultfox: - Light placed 7th at Super Smash Con and EVO using Fox, and Lui$ placed 7th at Super Smash Con using Fox and Mario.
16. :ultwolf: - zackray placed 7th at EVO using Wolf.
17. :ultsnake::ulthero: - Salem placed 7th at Mainstage using Snake and Hero.
18. :ultsheik::ultpichu: - VoiD placed 5th at Mainstage using Sheik and Pichu, and RFang placed 7th at The Big House 9 using Pichu.
19. :ultlucina: - ProtoBanham placed 5th at EVO using Lucina.
20. :ultrosalina: - Dabuz placed 2nd at the Big House 9 using Rosalina and Olimar.
21. :ultsonic: - KEN placed 4th at Umebura SP4 using Sonic.
22. :ultshulk: - Kome placed 3rd at Switchfest and 7th at Umebura SP4 using Shulk.
23. :ultluigi: - Elegant placed 4th at Low Tier City 7 using Luigi.
24. :ultvillager: - kept placed 7th at Umebura SP5 using Villager.
25. :ultpiranha: - Brood placed 2nd at Umebura SP4 using Piranha Plant.
26. :ultness: - Gackt placed 5th at Umebura SP4 using Ness.
27. :ultinkling: - Cosmos placed 3rd at Thunder Smash 3 and Spaced placed 3rd at Ultimate Fighting Arena, both using Inkling.
28. :ultgreninja: - Lea placed 7th at Thunder Smash 3 using Greninja.
29. :ultchrom: - Mr. R placed 5th at Ultimate Fighting Arena and Smash Factor 8 using Chrom and Snake.
30. :ultsamus: - Joker placed 7th at Switchfest using Samus, and quiK placed 7th at Ultimate Fighting Arena using Samus.
31. :ultbanjokazooie: - Tweek placed 5th at Glitch 7 using Banjo & Kazooie.
32. :ultcloud::ultroy: - Salt One placed 13th at Super Smash Con and 9th at The Big House 9 using Cloud and Roy.
33. :ultfalco: - Juice placed 13th at Shine 2019 using Falco.
34. :ultfalcon: - NickC placed 13th at Shine 2019 using Captain Falcon.
35. :ultrichter: - Riddles placed 13th at Super Smash Con using Richter/Simon.
36. :ultbowser: - LeoN placed 9th at Shine using Bowser.
37. :ultlink: - T placed 9th at Umebura SP4 and Bernie placed 13th at Smash Factor 8, both using Link.
38. :ultyounglink: - Mr. R placed 13th at Switchfest mostly using Young Link.
39. :ulttoonlink: - Ri-ma placed 13th at Umebura SP4 using Toon Link and Joker, and Hyuga placed 9th at Smash Factor 8 using Toon Link.
40. :ultbowserjr: - Young Eevey placed 13th at Thunder Smash 3 using Bowser Jr.
41. :ultyoshi: - Meme placed 9th at Low Tier City 7 and Rotsuku placed 13th at Umebura SP5 using Yoshi.
42. :ultdiddy: - Dakpo placed 13th at Low Tier City 7 using Diddy Kong.
43. :ultlittlemac: - Tarakotori paced 13th at Umebura SP4 using Little Mac.
44. :ultryu::ultken: - Sandstorm placed 9th at Low Tier City 7 using Ryu and Ken.
45. :ultrobin: - Jul placed 17th at Shine using Robin.
46. :ulticeclimbers: - Big D placed 17th at Mainstage using Ice Climbers.
47. :ultgunner::ultzelda: - Aikota placed 25th at Super Smash Con using Mii Gunner, Zelda, and Ness.
48. :ultmetaknight: - Jay placed 17th at Super Smash Con using Meta Knight and PKMN Trainer.
49. :ultpit: - Superjamie placed 17th at Thunder Smash 3 using Pit, while Lucky placed 17th at Ultimate Fighting Arena using Pit.
50. :ultwiifittrainer: - RockstarAce placed 17th at Switchfest using WFT.
51. :ultkingdedede: - ZAKI placed 17th at Umebura SP4 using King Dedede.
52. :ultkrool: - Ben Gold placed 17th at Thunder Smash 3 using King K. Rool.
53. :ultjigglypuff: - Arika placed 25th at Umebura SP4 using Jigglypuff.
54. :ultdk: - Le Sou placed 17th at Smash Factor 8 using DK.
55. :ultlucas: - Mekos placed 25th at Glitch 7 using Lucas.
56. :ultridley: - Plup placed 49th at Super Smash Con using Ridley.
57. :ultbayonetta: - CaptainZack placed 33rd at EVO using Bayonetta.
58. :ultincineroar: - Magister placed 49th at Shine using Incineroar.
59. :ultbrawler: - Leo D. Haki placed 49th at Mainstage using Mii Brawler.
60. :ultdoc: - Jeffen placed 49th at MainStage using Dr. Mario and Mario.
61. :ultike: - Sheaugne placed 7th at Animethon 26 using Ike.
62. :ultisabelle: - Nery placed 2nd at BIT MASTER MTY Round 4 using Isabelle.
63. I couldn't find any placements for :ultkirby::ultswordfighter::ultganondorf::ultcorrin: and :ultmewtwo: that fit the above categories, thus placing them in the bottom category.

A lot of this can be inaccurate as there was a lot of things that might've missed my eye AND there was a lot of assumptions being as to whether or not characters used were co-mains or secondaries. Here all the assumptions and things to keep in mind:

- Only mains and co-mains count in terms of noticeable placements. Character placements where said character was used as a secondary were omitted.
- This list only applies to Season 2. So stuff like Genesis 6 or Albion 4 isn't considered.
- The importance of each placement tier is loosely arranged from top to bottom, with top being the most important/notable. I decided to keep tiers such as winning a B Tier in the list despite no characters appearing there as it gives a better idea of how the importance of winning a B Tier stacks up against other types of placments (imo).
- This list is meant to represent the "peaks" of characters, so any tiers below where a character is ranked may have still happened for that character. For example, Joker's "peak" is winning an S Tier event, but he's also won A and C Tier events as well.
- Glitch 7 is considered an A Tier event under this list (sorry :ultpikachu: fans lol).

That said, some interesting trends I picked up on:

- Practically everyone who's won a B or C Tier event has made a greater stride at an A or S Tier event. Popular characters that win B/C Tier events include :ultjoker::ultsnake::ultzss: and :ultrob:.
- Almost every character at one point this season has made a pretty big feat overall, even characters that are considered low tier such as :ultdk:. The only characters who haven't are :ultkirby::ultganondorf::ultmewtwo::ultswordfighter: and :ultcorrin:, but even Kirby and Ganondorf have gotten very close to making a breakthrough thanks to Komota and Smokk/Rickles respectively.
- Despite often being considered a contender for bottom 10, :ultbowserjr: has been doing fairly well recently; outside of Young Eevee's 13th placement at Thunder Smash 3 and 25th placement at Glitch 7, Monty has also put a few points on the board, placing 25th at The Big House 9. To me, Bowser Jr. feels like the most "Only bottom tier because someone has to be bottom tier" character in the game right now, and most people don't really seem to know much about him in general.

- :ultike: is in a rough spot right now, but that's only because Ryuga has been struggling to juggle between him and :ulthero: this season. It's clear that Ryuga wants to use Hero as his prime main, but trying to get into the swing of how he plays results in him coming up short because of it.:ultduckhunt: has felt this to a lesser extent, as Raito has not been performing as well as he has in the beginning of this season due to picking up :ultbanjokazooie:.

- :ultrosalina::ultfalcon: and :ultsamus: have been consistently strong performers this season, thanks to both Homika/Kirihara, NickC, and Joker respectively, yet they often get the short end of the stick in terms of tier list placements. Rosalina's case is most likely due to Dabuz constantly underrating the character and in the case of Samus of Captain Falcon, it most likely comes down to the stigma of "non-functional jank = bad". :ultness: has been a weird product of this well despite Gackt improving quite a bit in terms of his results/placments.

Last edited:

Megamang

Smash Lord
Best solution is to drop parrying altogether and bring back power shielding.
Nah, parrying is a great design choice. If you powershielded early you still got a shield, which was a big reason that shields were so good in ultimate. On the other hand, time a parry early and you get hit in the face. As it should be, you are basically calling out to say 'I know exactly when this will hit' so it needs to have some risk.

Top Bottom