• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Competitive Character Impressions 2.0

?

• Total voters

Lacrimosa

Smash Lord
Hero is probably clickbait.

Anyway, why would Sonic be so low?
Main reason is that his upAir doesn't work properly and he'd shoot up at least 2 tiers if it does.
Like, Sonic lacks killing but his upAir isn't his gameplan-defining move, so it's indeed an odd placement, especially considering his 24th(?) rank on the current OIrion stats.

Impax

Smash Apprentice
Next part of Void's tier-list is out and there are some really odd placements coming up in the next video.
(Don't know about the thumbnail; Hero isn't in that tier)

Upper-mid-tier: :ultrosalina::ultdiddy::ultfalco::ultmetaknight::ultness::ultrichter::ultmarth::ulticeclimbers::ultbrawler::ulttoonlink::ultwiifittrainer::ultfalcon::ultlucario:
Mid-tier::ultzelda::ultkingdedede::ultsamus::ultlucas::ultganondorf::ultincineroar::ultmewtwo::ulthero::ultridley::ultvillager::ultryu::ultcorrinf::ultlittlemac:
Low-mid-tier: :ultsonic::ultdk::ultswordfighter::ultgunner::ultdoc::ultpit::ultdarkpit::ultrobinf::ultkrool:
Low-tier: :ultbowserjr::ultisabelle::ultkirby:

Curious will be these placings: :ultjigglypuff::ultbayonetta::ultike::ultpiranha::ultsheik:

These are all characters I wouldn't really consider high-tier in any way, but I'm interested in his reasoning. Especially Puff because her OrionStat rank is in the bottom 15 if not worse.
I don't know if they overlooked some of them, but yeah.
I swear jigglypuff has to be a mistake lol. I never seen her ranked more than mid tier.

Putting ike in top tier would be a hot take, but not the craziest. PP and Sheik dont suprise me that much. Void probably feels he has a grasp on sheik. Bayonetta in high tier would be a hot take tho.

SwagGuy99

Smash Ace
Time to play the devil's advocate again (lol):

I'm hearing a lot of things about :ultfalcon: not being very good/having a lot of problematic match-ups on paper, yet I'm seeing a much different story in practice:

1. He's currently ranked #23 on OrionStats, just above :ultsonic: and just below :ultbowser:.
2. He had 2 strong performances at both Super Smash Con (Fatality and Nick C placed 25th and 17th respectively) and Shine (NickC placed 13th).

So what exactly is going on? To answer a few rebuttals:

- "It's just NickC and Fatality that are very good"
NickC and Fatality are very good players, but couldn't this be said for other characters? "It's not :ultchrom: that's good, it's just Rivers that's really good, it's not :ultinkling: that's good, it's just Cosmos that's really good, it's not :ultpacman: that's good, it's just Tea/Sinji are really good, it's not :ultpikachu: that's good, it's just ESAM that's really good, etc...." When exactly does a characters' success become completely attributed to just the player and not the character? Where do we draw the line? If the rule is that he needs at least more than one player to prove his worth, then Falcon's got that more than covered with Fatality and NickC backing him up. I feel like in instances like these, I think it's best to give credit to both the player and the character: The player is very strong, but they're also proving the character has it what it takes to make it far.

- "He didn't run into his problematic match-ups"
Given that we're almost a year into the game now, I find it hard to believe that :ultfalcon: hasn't run into at least a few bad match-ups. In fact, out of all the sets I've seen with Fatality/NickC, the only two I can actually see being big problems for him are :ultpichu: and :ultgnw:, and even in the latter's case, a lot of it could be chalked up to NickC's lack of experience in the match-up against Maister. This isn't to say he only has 2 losing match-ups, but even if he did have other losing match-ups, I feel like they're all manageable and not actually impactful enough to make much a difference in high level play.

So what exactly is bad about Captain Falcon?

- His disadvantage state, as stated earlier, isn't very good; he doesn't have very many fast aerial options to land with, his big size, heavyweight, and fall speed make him easy combo fodder against characters like :ultmario:, and his recovery is exploitable thanks to the rockcrocking technique (although I actually haven't seen this be much of an issue thanks to how Captain Falcon can mix-up the timing of his Falcon Dive). However, because of Falcon Dive's distance, I actually haven't seen instances of Falcon's recovery being gimped that often.

- His hitboxes and range aren't the exactly the stuff of kings; a lot of his attacks lack either horizontal reach (DAir, USmash) or vertical reach (NAir, BAir). I feel like this isn't actually that much of an issue as the extent of its impact is just requiring Captain Falcon players to be more precise with their movement, something that is mostly mitigated by Captain Falcon's phenomenal attributes (though his initial dash could be better), somewhat like :ultzss:. This does become a bigger problem against smaller characters like :ultsquirtle: or :ultpichu:, however.

- He does have random technical issues that most characters seem to have; aside from his turnaround dash, his Raptor Boost is kinda broken..? Even after the buffs, the move apparently has a very hard time actually connecting properly with enemies; I'm not sure if this was as much of a problem as in SSB4, but either way, I can see why NickC has used the move far less than before.

So what is good about Captain Falcon?

- Well, for a character that is a combo-reffic Speedy Gonzales, the dude's got a very solid weight stat of 104 units, the same as :ultlink: and 6 units above :ultmario:. While this can nip him in the butt sometimes as it makes him even easier to combo, it becomes a life saver at higher percents, especially against characters that struggle to land the finishing blow like :ultpeach: or :ultyoshi:, which in turn allows him to take full advantage of rage. This sort of leads me into my second point...

- He can take stocks. Like STUPID early. I know it may sound like a meme to overhype it, but watching NickC's recent sets will continue to remind me on just how integral NAir Hit 1 has become to Captain Falcon as far as getting a lead and dishing out as much pain as possible is concerned. The thing is, the move wouldn't even be that great on most other characters, but for someone as good mobility as Falcon, the confirm gives him such a generous window to take stocks with, setting up kills as early as 60% with a Knee Smash, all the way towards still continuing to confirm as high as 140% with stuff like a BAir or sourspotted DAir. The best part? It's only -4 on block, which is amazing, especially considering how Captain Falcon's improved air mobility allows him to cross-up with it relatively easily.

Speaking of confirms, DAir is pretty nutty too; not quite as good as NAir, given that it's more laggy compared to the latter, but again, it gives Captain Falcon such a strong confirm at low percents; the thing is, even without landing the sweetspot, the sourspot's got mad KO potential, capable of taking stocks at surprisingly low percents. It helps to serve in making the move a consistently strong option to land with, and unless you have a strong OoS like :ultmario: or :ultgnw:, it can be very hard to punish. This is the part where you have to take into account that both these attacks are tacked on the same character, and that's not even the half of it.

Because even without his confirms, he really doesn't have much problems KOing outside of that: BAir is strong and spammable, Dash Attack is a fast burst option, the Gentleman is great at the ledge due to Jab 1's ability to cancel into itself, Falcon Kick covers landings very well, and there's probably something else I'm missing, but you get the picture. When you take into account his own weight versus the fact that almost all of his attacks start becoming kill options at high percents - whether it's a DTilt by the ledge, a DAir 2-frame, or heck, even an UAir/Falcon Dive snipe from off the top - it's pretty easy to start feeling like you're under major pressure by the dude.

- What I think gels all of his power together is his phenomenal movement. While his initial dash isn't exactly great, everything else is top notch, and he's definitely feeling the above average buff he got to his air speed, which is now on par with :ultmario:'s and :ultinkling:'s; like :ultsonic:, it gives him a powerful neutral as well as some very strong mix-up and cross-up options with both NAir and DAir, but it's also a part of why NickC is able to land confirms so consistently with stuff like the Knee of Justice or why he's able to be so precise in his movement in times where he needs to be. It almost kind of gives Falcon the ability to be everywhere you don't want him to be, and when you take this into account along with everything else, it sort of makes me relieved he has such a bad disadvantage state; he feels like :ultrob: (except obviously not as good) where his terrible disadvantage is the one major thing holding back what's otherwise a juggernaut of a character who gets a massive reward off of his advantage states.

- On a side note, Falcon Dive is surprisingly decent as an OoS; it functions less like an immediate answer like :ultmario:'s Super Jump Punch, and more like :ultchrom:'s Soaring Slash, where Captain Falcon's drift and the move's surprisingly large grabboxes make it a strong option for punishing laggier options, even ones that are well spaced out; it's also great for catching rising hop aerial cross-ups, like how NickC used it against Dark Wizzy's rising BAirs during their sets at Shine.

That pretty much sums up my ramblings thoughts on Falcon: He's got a really good punish game that's only really held back by a poor disadvantage state; to me, I don't think it's enough to peg him down below upper mid tier.
Yeah, this whole thing is similar to what I was saying previously but is much more detailed.

I think that maybe you view his weaknesses as less of an issue to his kit overall than I do but this is very nicely detailed and is a pretty good look at Falco as a character.

Next part of Void's tier-list is out and there are some really odd placements coming up in the next video.
(Don't know about the thumbnail; Hero isn't in that tier)

Upper-mid-tier: :ultrosalina::ultdiddy::ultfalco::ultmetaknight::ultness::ultrichter::ultmarth::ulticeclimbers::ultbrawler::ulttoonlink::ultwiifittrainer::ultfalcon::ultlucario:
Mid-tier::ultzelda::ultkingdedede::ultsamus::ultlucas::ultganondorf::ultincineroar::ultmewtwo::ulthero::ultridley::ultvillager::ultryu::ultcorrinf::ultlittlemac:
Low-mid-tier: :ultsonic::ultdk::ultswordfighter::ultgunner::ultdoc::ultpit::ultdarkpit::ultrobinf::ultkrool:
Low-tier: :ultbowserjr::ultisabelle::ultkirby:

Curious will be these placings: :ultjigglypuff::ultbayonetta::ultike::ultpiranha::ultsheik:

These are all characters I wouldn't really consider high-tier in any way, but I'm interested in his reasoning. Especially Puff because her OrionStat rank is in the bottom 15 if not worse.
Yeah, I can understand :ultike: and :ultsheik: to an extent as they have very clear strengths and (despite being very hard characters to perform well with consistently at a high level of play) I could understand an argument for putting them near the low end of high tier due to the instances of success that we've seen players achieve with them.

I'm a bit conflicted on saying the same about :ultbayonetta: because she could be as good (if not better than) than Shiek and Ike if you were to play her perfectly and know everything about the opponent and the character they are playing, but she seems to have more weaknesses to work around than Ike and Shiek, so placing Bayo in the same area as them would depend on how much realistic potential to be better than them you think she has.

:ultjigglypuff: and :ultpiranha: are both middle of mid tier at best though so I really want to hear Void's opinions on those two.

Also, here's all of the characters Void hasn't ranked yet:

:ultbayonetta::ultbowser::ultcloud::ultduckhunt::ultfox::ultgreninja::ultike::ultinkling::ultjigglypuff::ultjoker::ultlink::ultluigi::ultmario::ultlucina::ultmegaman::ultgnw::ultolimar::ultpacman::ultpalutena::ultpeach::ultpichu::ultpikachu::ultpiranha::ultpokemontrainer::ultrob::ultroy::ultchrom::ultken::ultsheik::ultshulk::ultsnake::ultwario::ultwolf::ultyoshi::ultyounglink::ultzss:

Edit:

My biggest surprises with this list thus far (not including things we haven't yet seen or heard explained by Void) are:

• I know Void has never thought highly of :ultsonic:, but this is getting a bit ridiculous when you consider both his results, and how good (most of) his moveset really is.
  • I'm surprised :ultfalco: is as low as he is considering how well he seems to do against a lot of the characters Void hasn't ranked yet.
  • :ultness: seems really low. I don't feel like I need to say much about this one but I will say that his strengths are good enough to the point where the only thing holding him back from being a Top Tier is his recovery.
  • I can't say I'm an expert on the Miis but :ultbrawler: being above the other two seems really questionable considering that the other two Miis both seem to have more versatile movesets overall.

Last edited:

The_Bookworm

Smash Master

:ultike: has been regarded as a pretty solid character from the beginning, but is really feeling the sting of MkLeo not using him anymore. Considering that many top players (including myself) still regard him as a high tier, albeit at the lower end, it doesn't surprise me.
:ultsheik::ultpiranha: it makes sense in VoiD's eyes on why these two are ranked so high. He thinks very highly of both of them, and Brood's performance with PPlant only pushed it further, similar to how Tarakotori's performance influenced his placement of Little Mac.
It only makes me even further confused on why he put Sonic so low.
:ultbayonetta::ultjigglypuff: these two, however, doesn't make any sense whatsoever, especially the latter character. This is the part where I am convinced that he forgot to place them, unless he really does think these two are that high and major sleeper picks.

$.A.F.

Smash Journeyman
Okay this might seem far fetched but I think VoiD just forgot to place some characters and just put them high to make it look like it wasn’t a mistake

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Okay this might seem far fetched but I think VoiD just forgot to place some characters and just put them high to make it look like it wasn’t a mistake
Nah, VoiD has always been on the more optimistic side of Ultimate Sheik, even if she hasn't really been doing much work for him. Between her and Bayo I think he just has a bias for more technical combo characters since those are the sort he's good at.

...I'll admit that doesn't explain Jigglepuff though.

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
To break away from all the talk of VoiD's tier list, South Korea is right now getting their first major event going on (even though it is only 126 entrants).

It is called Uprising 2019, and the notable players it features are MkLeo:ultjoker:, Raito:ultduckhunt:, Zaki:ultkingdedede:, Lea:ultgreninja:, Gackt:ultness:, Eim:ultjoker:, RAIN:ultwolf:, and JJRockets:ultdiddy:. Pretty much inviting in some notable Japan players, which makes sense since South Korea and Japan are close to eachother.

Lacrimosa

Smash Lord
To break away from all the talk of VoiD's tier list, South Korea is right now getting their first major event going on (even though it is only 126 entrants).

It is called Uprising 2019, and the notable players it features are MkLeo:ultjoker:, Raito:ultduckhunt:, Zaki:ultkingdedede:, Lea:ultgreninja:, Gackt:ultness:, Eim:ultjoker:, RAIN:ultwolf:, and JJRockets:ultdiddy:. Pretty much inviting in some notable Japan players, which makes sense since South Korea and Japan are close to eachother.
Top 8 singles will be tomorrow.

Winner's side:
MKLeo :ultjoker:- Eim :ultjoker:
Rain :ultjoker:/:ultwolf: - Gackt :ultness:

Loser's side:
Regerets:ultgreninja: - Winner of Zaki :ultkingdedede: vs. JJRockets:ultdiddy:
Raito :ultduckhunt::ultlucina: - Lea :ultgreninja:

So..uhh...3 Jokers on Winners side.

KirbySquad101

Smash Ace
The Japan scene has just been exploding with :ultjoker:s recently: RAIN's been using him more often, YOC has pretty much ditched :ultcloud: in favor of him, and zackray himself has completely dropped :ultwolf: altogether to main him instead, winning a B Tier event (EGS Cup 2) using mostly Joker (and a little of :ulthero:).

Speaking of other player trends...

- ANTi now plans to co-main :ultzss:/:ultsnake: and will only use :ultmario: for Pikachu/Snake match-ups; I will say this isn't much of a blow to Mario's rep given that Prodigy and DW are still great Mario players, but nevertheless, we can be seeing more Snake in action.

- WaDi has been practicing some :ultmewtwo: recently; there is potential he may whip him out at some point or another.

- Riddles has dropped :ultrichter: in favor of co-maining :ultjoker:/:ultken:, citing that he feels there isn't much room left to grow with the character and that he will fall overtime due to people gaining MU experience against him. While it is going to be a massive blow towards Richter's representation, I am looking forward to seeing how this hybrid turns out.

Last edited:

Impax

Smash Apprentice
Top 8 singles will be tomorrow.

Winner's side:
MKLeo :ultjoker:- Eim :ultjoker:
Rain :ultjoker:/:ultwolf: - Gackt :ultness:

Loser's side:
Regerets:ultgreninja: - Winner of Zaki :ultkingdedede: vs. JJRockets:ultdiddy:
Raito :ultduckhunt::ultlucina: - Lea :ultgreninja:

So..uhh...3 Jokers on Winners side.
Who is regerets. Hes had a really nice loser's run

Edit:
Nevermind I did some sleuthing. Hes #2 in the Philippines.
https://twitter.com/RegeretsPH?s=17

And heres the bracket for reference
https://smash.gg/tournament/uprisin...2019-ultimate-singles/brackets/649311/1065424

Also according to his Twitter he has used brawler to beat an isabelle main. That would of been fun to see lol.

Last edited:

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
Here is how the Switchfest 2019 Kickoff went down.

1st: Shuton:ultolimar:
2nd: kameme:ultmegaman::ultsheik::ultjoker:
3rd: WaDi:ultmewtwo:
4th: Puppeh:ultpokemontrainerf:
5th: Kome:ultshulk:
5th: Tru4:ultshulk:
7th: Tea:ultpacman:
7th: Tank:ultpokemontrainer:

Seems like WaDi:ultrob: is indeed planning on trying his hand with :ultmewtwo: for Switchfest. He lost to Tru4:ultshulk: 2-1 early in bracket, but then went through a terror in the loser's bracket by beating Umeki:ultdaisy: 2-0, Tea:ultpacman: 2-0, Tru4:ultshulk: 2-0, and then Puppeh:ultpokemontrainerf: 3-0 before losing to kameme:ultmegaman: 3-2.

This is definitely something I am looking forward to when the actual event begins.

Last edited:

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
- Riddles has dropped :ultrichter: in favor of co-maining :ultjoker:/:ultken:, citing that he feels there isn't much room left to grow with the character and that he will fall overtime due to people gaining MU experience against him. While it is going to be a massive blow towards Richter's representation, I am looking forward to seeing how this hybrid turns out.
That is a good move for him as Belmont is not competitively viable and he's a very talented player with much room to get even better with real characters. I really did enjoy watching his Belmont sets irrespective but his Ken will prove even more entertaining I'll wager.

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
Here is the major attendees for Standoff 2019 (Texas, 256 Attendees, Category 3) and Switchfest 2019 (SoCal, 523 Attendees, Category 4+).

MuteAce:ultpeach:
Stroder:ultgreninja::ultmario::ultjoker:
yeti:ultmegaman:
Goblin:ultroy:
Gen:ultpalutena::ultken:
Fatality:ultfalcon:
Suarez:ultyoshi:
Elegant:ultluigi:
Wisdom:ultduckhunt:
Trela:ulthero::ultridley:
Denti:ultpokemontrainer:
Cheeks:ultcloud:
Kiki:ultpacman:
Shadow_PR:ultbayonetta:
DeluxeMenu:ultbowser:

Marss:ultzss:
Shuton:ultolimar:
VoiD:ultjoker:
Light:ultfox:
Glutonny:ultwario:
MVD:ultsnake:
Rivers:ultchrom:
Tea:ultpacman:
Kameme:ultmegaman::ultwario:
WaDi:ultrob::ultmewtwo:
Puppeh:ultpokemontrainerf:
Ryuga:ultike::ulthero:
Mr R:ultchrom::ultsnake:
Eon:ultfox::ultjoker:
ANTi:ultmario: (Going to list it as solo Mario for now)
ven:ultzelda:
Larry Lurr:ultwolf::ultfalco:
Nicko:ultshulk:
Kome:ultshulk:
Javi:ultlucina:
Joker:ultsamus::ultdarksamus:
Meme:ultyoshi::ultlucina:
Sparg0:ultcloud:
Umeki:ultdaisy:
HIKARU:ultpokemontrainer::ultdk:
MastaMario:ultmario:
Cyro:ultroy:
Zenyou:ultmario:
Xzax:ultinkling:
Uncivil ninja:ultshulk:
Kiraflax:ultrob::ultdarkpit:
Dakpo:ultdiddy:
Charliedaking:ultwolf:
SweeT:ultpokemontrainerf:
VaLoR:ultinkling:
Tru4:ultshulk:
K9sbruce:ultwolf:
Chag:ultinkling::ultpalutena:
Vintendo:ultduckhunt:
S2H:ultmetaknight:
cookieslayer:ultyounglink:
AC:ultsnake:
Scizor:ultlink:
Kswz:ultchrom::ultpit:
Ketchup:ultbowserjr:

Standoff contains some of Georgia's and Texas' best players (no Awestin surprisingly).

Switchfest contains some of the usual top players, the best from SoCal, as well as some top players from Mexico and Japan.

Last edited:
NNID
User7a1
Here is the major attendees for Standoff 2019 (Texas, 256 Attendees, Category 3) and Switchfest 2019 (SoCal, 523 Attendees, Category 4+).

Salem:ulthero: (Didn't list what he entered)
Lima:ultbayonetta1::ultpeach: (Didn't list what he entered)
Lima and Salem aren't attending Standoff. They aren't in the seeding for Singles or Doubles.

KirbySquad101

Smash Ace
Larry Lurr :ultwolf: 2-0 Sparg0 :ultcloud:
RockstarAce :ultwiifittrainer: 2-1s HIKARU :ultpokemontrainerf:
Jumpsteady :ultpalutena: 2-0s uncivil ninja :ultshulk:

Nito :ultken: 2-1s Puppeh:ultpokemontrainerf:

Last edited:

Cheryl~

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1511-1076-9918

Salem:ulthero: (Didn't list what he entered)
Lima:ultbayonetta1::ultpeach: (Didn't list what he entered)

Marss:ultzss:
Shuton:ultolimar:
VoiD:ultjoker:
Light:ultfox:
Glutonny:ultwario:
MVD:ultsnake:
Rivers:ultchrom:
Tea:ultpacman:
Kameme:ultmegaman::ultwario:
WaDi:ultrob::ultmewtwo:
Puppeh:ultpokemontrainerf:
Ryuga:ultike::ulthero:
Mr R:ultchrom::ultsnake:
Eon:ultfox::ultjoker:
ANTi:ultmario: (Going to list it as solo Mario for now)
ven:ultzelda:
Larry Lurr:ultwolf::ultfalco:
Nicko:ultshulk:
Kome:ultshulk:
Javi:ultlucina:
Joker:ultsamus::ultdarksamus:
Meme:ultyoshi::ultlucina:
Sparg0:ultcloud:
Umeki:ultdaisy:
HIKARU:ultpokemontrainer::ultdk:
MastaMario:ultmario:
Cyro:ultroy:
Zenyou:ultmario:
Xzax:ultinkling:
Uncivil ninja:ultshulk:
Kiraflax:ultrob::ultdarkpit:
Dakpo:ultdiddy:
Charliedaking:ultwolf:
SweeT:ultpokemontrainerf:
VaLoR:ultinkling:
Tru4:ultshulk:
K9sbruce:ultwolf:
Chag:ultinkling::ultpalutena:
Vintendo:ultduckhunt:
S2H:ultmetaknight:
cookieslayer:ultyounglink:
AC:ultsnake:
Scizor:ultlink:
Kswz:ultchrom::ultpit:
Ketchup:ultbowserjr:

Standoff contains some of Georgia's and Texas' best players (no Awestin surprisingly).

Switchfest contains some of the usual top players, the best from SoCal, as well as some top players from Mexico and Japan.
Salem and Lima aren’t entering Standoff, the former being because of the hurricane happening in Florida and I’m not sure about why Lima didn’t go but he’s Lima lol.

Impax

Smash Apprentice
A wiifit (rockstarace) upset hikaru 2-1 and lost to nicko 2-1 at switchfest.

So another surprise wiifit (after adanastran and s....) . Though he did get 129th at evo

Rizen

Smash Legend
The Japan scene has just been exploding with :ultjoker:s recently: RAIN's been using him more often, YOC has pretty much ditched :ultcloud: in favor of him, and zackray himself has completely dropped :ultwolf: altogether to main him instead, winning a B Tier event (EGS Cup 2) using mostly Joker (and a little of :ulthero:).

Speaking of other player trends...

- ANTi now plans to co-main :ultzss:/:ultsnake: and will only use :ultmario: for Pikachu/Snake match-ups; I will say this isn't much of a blow to Mario's rep given that Prodigy and DW are still great Mario players, but nevertheless, we can be seeing more Snake in action.

- WaDi has been practicing some :ultmewtwo: recently; there is potential he may whip him out at some point or another.

I think Zackray's going to find what Void found: that Joker isn't more of a path to success than his previous character, Wolf. His Wolf was just a shade away from beating MKLeo. Not that Joker is a bad character to pick up or anything.

IMO Riddles should keep Belmont as a CP character but put him on the back burner. I can't blame anyone for switching to a top tier.

I'm actually considering maining Wolf and keeping YL as a CP character after playing this really good Wario and doing just as well with Wolf, who I've only used a fraction as much as YL. It sucks but lower characters really do create a glass ceiling. YL's extremely difficult to play and still not as good as Wolf no matter how much I tighten my game. I've been practicing a lot and going to smashfests in between weeklies but nothing changes how bad YL is at CQC or how much later he kills than almost every other character. Ironically YL's right next to Belmont on Orion Stats.

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord
I think Zackray's going to find what Void found: that Joker isn't more of a path to success than his previous character, Wolf. His Wolf was just a shade away from beating MKLeo. Not that Joker is a bad character to pick up or anything.

IMO Riddles should keep Belmont as a CP character but put him on the back burner. I can't blame anyone for switching to a top tier.

I'm actually considering maining Wolf and keeping YL as a CP character after playing this really good Wario and doing just as well with Wolf, who I've only used a fraction as much as YL. It sucks but lower characters really do create a glass ceiling. YL's extremely difficult to play and still not as good as Wolf no matter how much I tighten my game. I've been practicing a lot and going to smashfests in between weeklies but nothing changes how bad YL is at CQC or how much later he kills than almost every other character. Ironically YL's right next to Belmont on Orion Stats.

It look like quite a few players are going character crisis. But in Riddles and Anti's case I totally get wanting to swtich to top-tiers that have gotten proven results. But sometimes switching to a Top-tier for the sake that they are a top-tier will not be a sure-fire awnser to better results.

I mean sometimes it can. But sometimes stickimg with characters you know/like or fit your way of play can pay of eventullay.
I guess that is why Dabuz has done pretty well with :ultrosalina: as a secondary/CP

Its odd Tweek's YL in the few times he used it was pretty decent at killing. He did setups into Up-B that could kill around 110 . Is stuff like being tricky or hard to pull off consistently the problem?

Last edited:

KirbySquad101

Smash Ace
In the case of Anti, the timing of him (mostly) dropping :ultmario: is bizarre given DW's recent success, but I think it was more that he had his eyes set on :ultsnake: for a while now.

As for zackray, what's interesting is that despite him being deadset on dropping :ultwolf: altogether, he's still intent on keeping :ultrob: under his belt; I'm guessing in zackray's case, :ultjoker: probably clicks more with him than :ultwolf:, even if it can be argued which one is better.

Basically, the moral of the story: Most players are still in a character crisis, even after almost a year.

Last edited:

Impax

Smash Apprentice
Anti tweeted a while back he didnt feel like Mario fit his playstyle

KirbySquad101

Smash Ace
twerkmaster :ultgnw: almost got the upset against Umeki :ultdaisy: in a close 1-2 set; compared to Maister, twerkmaster's punish/reward game isn't completely on point, but twerkmaster made really interesting use of those B-reversal Chefs; it gives Mr. Game and Watch exceptional aerial drift while throwing out projectiles on the board.

EDIT: AC :ultmetaknight: also almost got the upset on MVD :ultsnake: as well; between this and Jay's performance at Super Smash Con, MK really seems to have a strong niche as a counterpick option; still, MVD and VoiD are already performing way better than they have previously.

Last edited:

Nebunera

Smash Apprentice
I swear Mario is top tier but I don't feel like enough people are saying it. Then again I think the top 15 are the top tiers; but aside from that he only has one weakness (range) and his matchup chart is pretty amazing as long as you don't go against a sword that is high or top tier.

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
Kome:ultshulk: 3-1 Marss:ultzss:

Marss looked so lost throughout the entire set. Considering that TriState pretty much has 0 Shulks, and Japan has Choco, I am not too surprised.

Good stuff to Kome though.

Impax

Smash Apprentice
Had no idea mr. R has a young link

Edit: I don't know why that double posted

Last edited:

Impax

Smash Apprentice
Rockstarace 3 1 ven. I assume wft vs zelda but dont know as wasnt on stream

valakmtnsmash4

Smash Ace
NNID
yathshiv
look i havent posted in this thread in a long time but im glad my shilling of shulk for a long ass time as finally come to fruition.

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
Before the kneejerk reaction, I would give :ultshulk: 2 more months to see if his current performance is him being good or people not knowing how to play against him. Shulk has plenty of potential because he has a big sword, but nobody plays him.

That is a good move for him as Belmont is not competitively viable and he's a very talented player with much room to get even better with real characters. I really did enjoy watching his Belmont sets irrespective but his Ken will prove even more entertaining I'll wager.
Sadly I think Belmonts will remain bags of potatoes because casuals and scrubs say they are broken. They have never been buffed in the patches so far.

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
Marss and WaDi, especially the former, barely has any matchup exp against him, though Shulk does have some silly stuff with him.
Unfortunately, Kome is about to face off against Shuton, who has a pretty positive record against him.

We will see if Nicko can match this up with Kome's performance, as he is about to face off against Kameme soon.

KirbySquad101

Smash Ace
Speaking of players on a whole other level....

Joker :ultsamus: very convincingly 3-0s Nicko :ultshulk: to make it into Top 16; Joker did such a good job of taking advantage of all of Samus' tools, from half-Charge Shot confirms to Bomb ledge-traps, to even stuff like FAir shield pokes. It really gives you an idea of just how Samus is meant to be played in this game.

Also, Joker's horizontal drift with Bombs to avoid Shulk's massive hitboxes offstage was so on point.

Last edited:

Lacrimosa

Smash Lord
Rockstarace 3 1 ven. I assume wft vs zelda but dont know as wasnt on stream
Yep, WFT vs. Zelda.
Another MU where the displaced phantom would be very useful. At least it is discussed on Ven's twitter that he looks to implement it from now on because of a MU like WFT.

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
Here is Switchfest 2019 top 12:

Winner's (aka Japan Invasion lol)
Kome:ultshulk: vs Shuton:ultolimar:
Tea:ultpacman: vs Kameme:ultmegaman:

Loser's
MVD:ultsnake: vs Marss:ultzss:
Glutonny:ultwario: vs Mr.R:ultchrom::ultyounglink::ultsnake:
Light:ultfox: vs Larry Lurr:ultwolf:
WaDi:ultrob: vs Joker:ultsamus:

Impax

Smash Apprentice
Here is Switchfest 2019 top 12:

Winner's (aka Japan Invasion lol)
Kome:ultshulk: vs Shuton:ultolimar:
Tea:ultpacman: vs Kameme:ultmegaman:

Loser's
MVD:ultsnake: vs Marss:ultzss:
Glutonny:ultwario: vs Mr.R:ultchrom::ultyounglink::ultsnake:
Light:ultfox: vs Larry Lurr:ultwolf:
WaDi:ultrob: vs Joker:ultsamus:
A poster above mentioned light having a falco and joker?
Edit: lol that was you. I'm stupid

Last edited:
Top Bottom