• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Competitive Character Impressions 2.0

?

• Total voters

Tri Knight

Smash Ace
Zaxel also got 25th with solo Bowser supporting the character and that it wasn't just Leon being amazing.
I feel that so much focus was being put on LeoN and how well he performed or people writing off Bowser's results so much that people forgot that there were, in fact, TWO Bowsers in the top results. I think Bowser has high tier potential even if some really were not used to fighting him. If it was just Zaxel in the top somewhere I might say it was just out of lack of MU knowledge. But second place in a decently stacked tournament with another Bowser in the Top? I mean, look who was sitting just behind LeoN at the end. Nah, I'm giving LeoN credit and Bowser some points for that.

And as I've pointed out before, I can see Peach being a bad MU for Bowser. Samsora probably wasn't as aware of the MU the first time. But losing the set once doesn't write Bowser off. In my opinion, it's more of a question on Bowser having a disadvantage against Peach more than whether Bowser is high tier or not.

KirbySquad101

Smash Ace
For those interested, Smash Factor 8 pools are wrapping up and the top 128 will begin in about a few hours afterwards.

For those looking for :ulttoonlink: and :ultinkling: representation (besides Abadango), be on the lookout for Hyuga and Bedgar: They are some of the best players in their region, and I imagine both will get pretty far.

Last edited:

NotLiquid

Smash Lord
Inkling has a decent amount of Mexico reps, actually. Bedgar and Wonf have already made it into Top 32 (the latter of whom has to face Leo next), and there's also Chag, who has a strong Mexico City presence.

Last edited:

KirbySquad101

Smash Ace
Things are looking up for Inkling in this tournament, it seems; WonF fights MKLeo next, which will be interesting to see.

Light was unable to attend due to flight problems. Between this and his hand pain at Low Tier City, it seems like the Fox main can’t catch a break. XP

Good news for :ultgnw:, Maister not only made it to top 32, but so has Regi, a pretty good, albeit not very active GnW player; hopefully both can make it far in this tourney. Sucks that the two may have to end up fighting each other before Top 8.

Last edited:

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
Here is Smash Factor 8's top 32.

Winner's
MkLeo:ultjoker: vs Wonf:ultinkling:
Sparg0:ultcloud: vs Mr.R:ultchrom:
LeSou:ultdk: vs Regi:ultgnw:
Maister:ultgnw: vs Abadango:ultpalutena::ultmetaknight:
Marss:ultzss: vs Bernie:ultlink: (I think?)
Mr E:ultlucina: vs Javi:ultlucina:
Glutonny:ultwario: vs Hyuga:ulttoonlink:
NAKAT:ultpichu: vs Bedgar:ultinklingboy:

The only notable players I see in loser's is:
Pain:ultzss:
Cloudy:ultjoker: (formerly known as Captain Levi)
Chag:ultinkling::ultpalutena:
Pablo:ultwolf:

Last edited:

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord
Here is Smash Factor 8's top 32.

Winner's
MkLeo:ultjoker: vs Wonf:ultinkling:
Sparg0:ultcloud: vs Mr.R:ultchrom:
LeSou:ultdk: vs Regi:ultgnw:
Maister:ultgnw: vs Abadango:ultpalutena::ultmetaknight:
Marss:ultzss: vs Bernie:ultlink: (I think?)
Mr E:ultlucina: vs Javi:ultlucina:
Glutonny:ultwario: vs Hyuga:ulttoonlink:
NAKAT:ultpichu: vs Bedgar:ultinklingboy:

The only notable players I see in loser's is:
Pain:ultzss:
Cloudy:ultwolf: (formerly known as Captain Levi)
Chag:ultinkling::ultpalutena:
Pablo:ultwolf:
Cloudy used :ultjoker: thoughout the brackets.

Also what chance that the Lucina mains in top 32 had to face each other firsr.

Last edited:

KirbySquad101

Smash Ace
Emm :ultinkling: ended up eliminating Waymas, a pretty good :ultwario: player to reach top 32 on the Loser's Side.

That would make 5 Inklings (Emm, Wonf, Abadango (assuming he pulls her out), Bedgar, Chag) in Top 32 in this tournament.

Last edited:

KirbySquad101

Smash Ace
Holy crap, WonF took a game off of MKLeo!!!

And he almost would've taken another one had he not choked and unfortunately SD'd at Game 4; like, holy cow....

Last edited:

Lacrimosa

Smash Lord
Inkling is just nuts as well.
Nothing more to it.

In the meantime, Maister :ultgnw:3-0 Abadango :ultpalutena: and that in a very convincing fashion.
Nobody can tell me anymore that G&W isn't at least high-tier.

Last edited:

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
For winner's quarterfinals, we are actually about to get a :ultgnw: ditto between Regi and Maister.

What era are we living in?

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord
Marss used :ultfalcon: to 3-0 Bernie :ultlink:

Its possible Marss is picking up Falcon as a secondary. Or maybe it was just to CP Link, since he came very close to being upset by that Link player at Defend the North and felt that was too close for comfort , anyone recall that players name?

Last edited:

Lacrimosa

Smash Lord
Pablo :ultwolf:3-2 Sparg0 :ultcloud:, eliminating him.
Was a last-stock-last-hit situation but Pable still pulled threw in the end...

Last edited:

KirbySquad101

Smash Ace
Wonf's performance against MKLeo - and Cosmos against him in CEO for that matter - makes me wonder what people's thoughts are on the Joker vs. Inkling matchup.

It looks like :ultinkling: does a pretty good job of dancing around the huge hitboxes :ultjoker:'s Arsene throws, especially when compounded with both her dash speed and her low profile dash. She's also got the frame data and range *cough*BAir*cough* to challenge a lot of Joker's stuff, and she can tack on a lot of damage as well.

Those are my brief thoughts, based on Wonf's performance against MKLeo, I'm not much of an expert on either character.

Marss used :ultfalcon: to 3-0 Bernie :ultlink:

Its possible Marss is picking up Falcon as a secondary. Or maybe it was just to CP Link, since he came very close to being upset by that Link player at Defend the North and felt that was too close for comfort , anyone recall that players name?
I think it's probably a bit of both.

I recall Marss using :ultfalcon: as a CP against MKLeo's :ultjoker:, which seemed to actually work out decently well.

However, there was also that time where T :ultlink: 3-2'd Marss at Prime Saga, so from the sounds of it, Marss' :ultzss: can have a pretty rough time with Link in general.

Pablo :ultwolf:3-2 Sparg0 :ultcloud:, eliminating him.
Was a last-stock-last-hit situation but Pable still pulled threw in the end...
Dang, this was the 2nd time at a A Tier event Sparg0 was eliminated at 17th at a last game/stock (first was against WaDi at CEO); hopefully he can bounce back from it.

For winner's quarterfinals, we are actually about to get a :ultgnw: ditto between Regi and Maister.

What era are we living in?
I'm getting some serious deja vu flashbacks from Prodigy :ultmario: against Dark Wizzy :ultmario: at Genesis 6 lol.

That said, this means that one of the two :ultgnw:'s is guaranteed at the worst 9th place, and the other is guaranteed 5th place at worst, at an A Tier event, no less. That's certainly a great start for the little guy for season 2.

EDIT: What top 16 at Smash Factor 8 looks like right now:

Winner's Side:

MKLeo :ultjoker: vs. Mr R :ultchrom::ultsnake:
Maister :ultgnw: vs. Regi Shikmi :ultgnw:
Marss :ultzss: vs. Mr E :ultlucina:
Gluttony :ultwario: vs. NAKAT :ultpichu: (Gluttony won 3-0)

Loser's Side:

Hyuga :ulttoonlink: vs. Bedgar :ultinkling: (Hyuga won 3-2, Bedgar eliminated at 13th place)
Javi :ultlucina::ultsheik::ultlink: vs. Bernie :ultlink: (Javi won 3-1, Bernie eliminated at 13th place)
Abadango :ultinkling::ultpalutena::ultmetaknight: vs. Chag :ultinkling::ultpalutena:
Pablo :ultwolf: vs. Yei :ultchrom::ultlucina:

Sucks to see WonF out after doing fairly well against MKLeo, but he still had a good run, nonetheless.

Last edited:

NotLiquid

Smash Lord
Joker is a stubby-ranged character with questionable OoS options, that's going to make Inkling a fairly annoying MU. Of course, Arsene sort of remedies this blindspot, but I'm still kind of convinced that Inkling players don't play defensive enough.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Wonf's performance against MKLeo - and Cosmos against him in CEO for that matter - makes me wonder what people's thoughts are on the Joker vs. Inkling matchup.

It looks like :ultinkling: does a pretty good job of dancing around the huge hitboxes :ultjoker:'s Arsene throws, especially when compounded with both her dash speed and her low profile dash. She's also got the frame data and range *cough*BAir*cough* to challenge a lot of Joker's stuff, and she can tack on a lot of damage as well.

Those are my brief thoughts, based on Wonf's performance against MKLeo, I'm not much of an expert on either character.

I think it's probably a bit of both.

I recall Marss using :ultfalcon: as a CP against MKLeo's :ultjoker:, which seemed to actually work out decently well.

However, there was also that time where T :ultlink: 3-2'd Marss at Prime Saga, so from the sounds of it, Marss' :ultzss: can have a pretty rough time with Link in general.

Dang, this was the 2nd time at a A Tier event Sparg0 was eliminated at 17th at a last game/stock (first was against WaDi at CEO); hopefully he can bounce back from it.

I'm getting some serious deja vu flashbacks from Prodigy :ultmario: against Dark Wizzy :ultmario: at Genesis 6 lol.

That said, this means that one of the two :ultgnw:'s is guaranteed at the worst 9th place, and the other is guaranteed 5th place at worst, at an A Tier event, no less. That's certainly a great start for the little guy for season 2.

EDIT: What top 16 at Smash Factor 8 looks like right now:

Winner's Side:

MKLeo :ultjoker: vs. Mr R :ultchrom::ultsnake:
Maister :ultgnw: vs. Regi Shikmi :ultgnw:
Marss :ultzss: vs. Mr E :ultlucina:
Gluttony :ultwario: vs. NAKAT :ultpichu: (Gluttony won 3-0)

Loser's Side:

Hyuga :ulttoonlink: vs. Bedgar :ultinkling: (Hyuga won 3-2, Bedgar eliminated at 13th place)
Javi :ultlucina::ultsheik::ultlink: vs. Bernie :ultlink: (Javi won 3-1, Bernie eliminated at 13th place)
Abadango :ultinkling::ultpalutena::ultmetaknight: vs. Chag :ultinkling::ultpalutena:
Pablo :ultwolf: vs. Yei :ultchrom::ultlucina:

Sucks to see WonF out after doing fairly well against MKLeo, but he still had a good run, nonetheless.
Lots of mirror matches in the top 32. I'm a little disappointed Mr.R isn't using YL. Maybe he's not ready. IMO YL has a good MU vs Joker mainly because YL walls him harder than anyone else so he can avoid Arsene. Arsene Joker has a reflector but YL can usually react to reflected projectiles and it eats at Arsene's timer. Joker's quick but YL has a f4 Nair that keeps fighters like Pichu off him. Joker doesn't have big disjoints like Lucina either, which YL hates. Of course when Arsene Joker does land hits he hits harder than YL so it's a dangerous MU.

MUs are based around character tool interactions. YL is very polarized against top tiers having a good MU vs Peach but bad ones vs Lucina and Ike (high tier). I'd like to see what top 100 players can do with him.

It's nice to see Link in there at least.

Last edited:

Molk

Smash Cadet
For what it's worth, there aren't two G&Ws in top 32 in smash factor, there are three.

Frido who from what i've heard is the best G&W in chile, also made 25th at the event.

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord
Lots of mirror matches in the top 32. I'm a little disappointed Mr.R isn't using YL. Maybe he's not ready. IMO YL has a good MU vs Joker mainly because YL walls him harder than anyone else so he can avoid Arsene. Arsene Joker has a reflector but YL can usually react to reflected projectiles and it eats at Arsene's timer. Joker's quick but YL has a f4 Nair that keeps fighters like Pichu off him. Joker doesn't have big disjoints like Lucina either, which YL hates. Of course when Arsene Joker does land hits he hits harder than YL so it's a dangerous MU.

MUs are based around character tool interactions. YL is very polarized against top tiers having a good MU vs Peach but bad ones vs Lucina and Ike (high tier). I'd like to see what top 100 players can do with him.

It's nice to see Link in there at least.
I believe Mr.R mentioned he wants to focus mainly on Chrom as he fits Mr.R.'s "style" more from his words . Although he did use his Snake vs Spargo today

Last edited:

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
Does anyone know the progress of Smash Factor 8? So far, according to Smash.gg, Loser's Round 4 hasn't started and only one Winner's Quarterfinal match (Glutonny vs NAKAT) has occurred. It has been that way for a long time now. It seems strange to do one winner's quarterfinal match, then suddenly stop.

Edit: Nvm, Marss vs Mr E is going on now. Still wondering why it took so long though.

Last edited:

Tri Knight

Smash Ace
Wow 13th, for Bernie and Link. Not bad. Didn't even expect to see one in there. Gets me more pumped to see T in action soon.

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord
Marss somehow went from whiffing a boost-kick and getting fsmashed offstage to then spiking Mr.E with flip-kick when going for an edgehaurd in the DIRECTION of the ledge to take the set.

So can we agree Flip-Jump is like top 5 specials in the game. Few other moves can instanly reverse the state of advantage.

Yeah Wizzy is playing out of his god-dang mind at the Thunder Smash inviational. But now he has to face MVD in WF, and Snake has proven a rough MU for Mario .

Last edited:

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
This is what Smash Factor 8 top 8 looks like:

Winner's
MkLeo:ultjoker: vs Maister:ultgnw:
Marss:ultzss: vs Glutonny:ultwario:

Loser's
Regi Shikimi:ultgnw: vs Mr R:ultchrom::ultsnake:
Abadango:ultinkling::ultpalutena::ultmetaknight: vs Yei:ultchrom::ultlucina::ultmetaknight:

Aaron1997

Smash Ace
NNID
Aaron1318

Its here boyz. The wait is over. Very likely that 4.0 comes out the same day since this at 6AM PST. Also its 22 mins so don't be shocked if they show Banjo to.

Tri Knight

Smash Ace
Been looking forward to Hero despite the Banjo hype. He seems like he'll be very interesting.

Anyway 2 Chroms in top 8. Right now it almost feels like Roy is what Marth is to Lucina but at a lesser extent.

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord
Dark Wizzy got the reset vs MVD in Tunder Smash 2 GF, come on Wiz. Looks like he may finally figured out how to fight Snake

Last edited:

KirbySquad101

Smash Ace
Thunder Smash II is going on and Dark Wizzy not only dominated his entire pool, he just 3-0'd Dabuz.

Also, Mario's BAir is somehow a better NAir than his actual NAir.

Jeebus, the more I watch :ultmario:'s BAir in action, the stupider it gets: It's frame 6, -2 on block (wtf), combos into itself, actually has good range compared to Mario's other attacks, KOs at high percents, and for some reason, has a hitbox on Mario's body. The body hitbox also allows Mario to use the thing to cross up on shields, thanks to his nutty airspeed.

Speaking of Mario, after losing to MVD, Dark Wizzy is on a rampage once more. I don't think anyone expected him to get this far, but I'm certainly happy he has.

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
Thunder Smash 2

1st: MVD:ultsnake:
2nd: Dark Wizzy:ultmario:
3rd: Dabuz:ultolimar::ultrosalina:
4th: ESAM:ultpikachu:
5th: Nicko:ultshulk:
5th: Salem:ultsnake::ultshulk::ultlink::ultmarth:
7th: Larry Lurr:ultwolf:
7th: VoiD:ultpikachu:

VoiD and Salem weren't performing that well at Thunder Smash 2. VoiD dropped all of his sets, and Salem only took a set off of Larry Lurr.
On the other hand, Dark Wizzy was completely El Fuego today.

Its here boyz. The wait is over. Very likely that 4.0 comes out the same day since this at 6AM PST. Also its 22 mins so don't be shocked if they show Banjo to.
1564364882967.png

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord
Maister was doing very well vs MKLeo the first 2 games and the sart of the third. Then Leo straight up downloaded the MU, jeebus

Last edited:

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
Maister was doing very well vs MKLeo the first 2 games and the sart of the third. Then Leo straight up downloaded the MU, jeebus
The two actually play a lot with eachother on MkLeo's stream.
Maister was kind of spaghetti'ng around towards the end of the set, and Leo capitalized on it hard.

KirbySquad101

Smash Ace
Marss :ultzss: 3-2s Gluttony :ultwario: to have his fated rematch with MKLeo again. XD

It looked like a classic case of back and forth; every time Gluttony struck hard, Marss struck harder back. He was getting so many of ZSS' confirms down in that set, you could really tell he wanted that rematch against MKLeo.

EDIT: Oh dear lord, to say Maister's out for Leo's blood is an understatement of the century: He swiftly 3-0s Abadango :ultwario::ultinkling::ultpalutena: once again to make it to Loser's Semis; he'll be either fighting Mr R or Gluttony.

Last edited:

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord
Marss :ultzss: 3-2s Gluttony :ultwario: to have his fated rematch with MKLeo again. XD

It looked like a classic case of back and forth; every time Gluttony struck hard, Marss struck harder back. He was getting so many of ZSS' confirms down in that set, you could really tell he wanted that rematch against MKLeo.

EDIT: Oh dear lord, to say Maister's out for Leo's blood is an understatement of the century: He swiftly 3-0s Abadango :ultwario::ultinkling::ultpalutena: once again to make it to Loser's Semis; he'll be either fighting Mr R or Gluttony.

Gluttony played well. Marss did too but he was spaghetti n a lot too with YOLO up-b and diars. Half of that set seemed to seemed to be a contest of whos Down-B could be jankier and cause the most shennanigans

Last edited:

KirbySquad101

Smash Ace
Gluttony :ultwario: 3-2s Mr R :ultchrom::ultsnake: to eliminate him at 5th place, moving on to fight Maister.

Honestly, major props to Gluttony winning, but that second game looked so soul-crushing for Mr R; the dude had a 150% lead, only to lose it to a Waft comeback.

Last edited:

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord
Marss:ultzss: takes is over MKLeo :ultjoker:3-2 in WF

Its the power of the pajama pants I tell you. Why did seem play not quite as well Defend the North last week? It was becuase he was not wearing his pajamas I tell you!!

But yeah that was another utterly intesne set. I think Marss is in most of My top 5 Competitive Ultiamte matches so far.

And..Maister 3-0's Gluttony. He's out for blood now

Last edited:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Marss did a few newer things, he used crouches/crawls and played a smarter mid range.
Forward air was used to zone break through Joker/leo's general shFF zoning pressure, both on rise and on landing with general success.

Furthermore I saw strong indication that Leo's rebel guards were going to receive stronger punishes the longer the games/sets went on for (he only would attempt grabs for the first 3-4 games, and then you saw some smash attack charges/etc come to mind by game 5).

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord
ummm. what exactly happened there lol. I did not expect that was how the set would end,

But congrats to Marss, he played absolutely loco, and it looks like he figured out what to do vs Leo's Joker.

He will still say ZSS sucks of course, got to keep the memes going

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
Gluttony :ultwario: 3-2s Mr R :ultchrom::ultsnake: to eliminate him at 5th place, moving on to fight Maister.

Honestly, major props to Gluttony winning, but that second game looked so soul-crushing for Mr R; the dude had a 150% lead, only to lose it to a Waft comeback.
^This is why I think Wario wins the MU vs YL. It will be going good, YL Fairs Wario at 140% and he doesn't die only to Waft kill YL at 80%. That's Wario.

Holy **** Mars dethrones Leo. Nerf ZSS! (JK) We'll see where this will lead. People are starting to get better at using strong punishes vs RG and pressuring Joker's recovery. He has unique counterplay.

Top Bottom