• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Competitive Character Impressions 2.0

?

• Total voters

SwagGuy99

Smash Ace
I don't claim to be a Zelda expert, but if I'm being honest I don't think Zelda's core issue is her mobility (from a design standpoint) but rather a kit problem.
Yes. Speed is always a good thing to have but a character doesn't have to have good mobility in order to be good. Snake in Brawl and Olimar in Ultimate are great examples of that.

However, if a character is going to have poor mobility, they have to have something that makes up for it.

Dr. Mario, for example has below average speed stats, jump height, and recovery, but hed also has a really good projectile (Megavitimins/Pills) that is used for approaching and setting up into his kill moves at high percents. Dr. Mario also has good frame data which allows him to capitalize quickly on any pills that he lands on the opponents (even though his air speed isn't great) or to chain a few attacks together to deal large amounts of damage. So while Dr. Mario isn't high tier or anything (mostly due to his recovery and range issues), he has the ability to work around his lack of speed (and lack of range to an extent) because his good approach and ability to throw out moves without fear of being punished allows him to start combos or land kills pretty easily.

Zelda struggles because she doesn't have very much to make up for her lack of fast movement. Her frame data isn't that good, her projectile doesn't allow her to start combos, she lacks the tools to start combos in general, and she lacks a way to rack up damage past low percents. Meanwhile, faster characters like Fox can chase her down, combo her, juggle her, and kill her and there's nothing she can really do about it once he gets around her defensive options. At least other slower characters like Doc can keep faster opponents away with projectiles or fast attacks, but Zelda struggles to keep characters out for nearly as long as other characters due to her frame data being poor and her projectiles being kind of slow as well and very punishable in a lot of situations. Yes, she still has Phantom and Nayru's Love, and f-tilt to help keep opponents away, but she can't play defensive forever and all of those options can be punished by faster characters.

Also, a lot of other slower characters are on the heavier side which means that they'll have more opportunities to hit their opponent because they survive longer, unlike Zelda, who is light and tall (making her easy to combo at low %'s and kill at high %'s). Dr. Mario is a middleweight, DDD, Incineroar, and Ganondorf are super-heavyweights, Ike is a heavyweight, etc.

I'm not saying Zelda is trash tier or anything, but lacking the options to deal with speed/not having enough options to make up for your own lack of speed hurts her a lot. Maybe I'm overblowing her issues, but they are still issues, no matter how you look at it.

TLDR: Characters don't have to be fast be decent, but they have to have something really good to help them against faster opponents. Zelda has some options, but they aren't really enough most of the time. I also could be overestimating how bad her weaknesses are but I'm not sure I really am.

Last edited:

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord
Wow. Elegant said a while ago how he hates the ZSS MU..and as well and valiantly Elegant played vs Marss, I can see why.

ZSS has the mobility, evasivness, pretty good range to keep him away (can even use Flip-Kick to escape his combos) and amazing edgeuarding and offstsage presence to make Luigi's life miserable

Elegant got his only win thanks to a Side-B misfire and and SD from Marss and he had to depend on YOLO cyclones , SJP and dash attacks to even get any form of advantage

Last edited:

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Wow. Elegant said a while ago how he hates the ZSS MU..and as well and valiantly Elegant played vs Marss, I see how its an utter nightmare more Luigi.

ZSS has the mobility, evasivness, pretty good range_ can even use Flip-Kick to escape his combos) and amazing edgeuarding and offstsage presence to make Luigi's lifr

Elegant got his only win thanks to a Side-B misfire, and had to depend on YOLO cyclones , SJP and DA's to even get an opeining.
Yeah, ZSS beats slow character mad hard. The char doesn't have to engage with half the cast, like ever.

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
Wow. Elegant said a while ago how he hates the ZSS MU..and as well and valiantly Elegant played vs Marss, I can see why.

ZSS has the mobility, evasivness, pretty good range_ can even use Flip-Kick to escape his combos) and amazing edgeuarding and offstsage presence to make Luigi's lifr

Elegant got his only win thanks to a Side-B misfire, and had to depend on YOLO cyclones , SJP and DA's to even get any form of advantage
Elegant didn't have too much ZSS experience:

The ZSS matchup wasn't that great of a matchup in SSB4, and it that has seemed to transition over to Ultimate as well.

Last edited:

KakuCP9

What does it mean to be strong?
In spite of Luigi getting the crap kicked out him by ZSS, let's take a moment to appreciate Elegant gimping Marss with the plunger hitbox.
There was a problem fetching the tweet

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
Tweek's rampage with PkMn Trainer continues with a convincing 3-0 victory against Dabuz.

I wonder if Tweek is going to continue with PkMn Trainer against Marss, or he is going to use his Marss-slayer-3000, err I mean Roy, instead.

PK Gaming

Smash Lord
Luigi is such a degenerate character

I don't really know how else to express how I feel about that character

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord

Did you miss the Marss set where ZSS was literally kicking the s*** out of him for almost the entire set. When you dont even have to engage him or have an guareteed escape option in flip-jump its a different story

Last edited:

blackghost

Smash Champion
Cosmos
Samsora:ultpeach: 3-0 Sandstorm:ultken::ultryu:
Considering that Sandstorm brought Tweek to game 5, last stock, last hit, I was not prepared for the absolute slaughter Samsora demonstrated. Sandstorm was beginning to make a comeback with Ryu at game 3, but an SD at around 20% sealed the set away. Samsora moves on to top 8 loser's.
i know this happened a while ago but i thought that both of sandstorms loses came from choosing the wrong shoto for the mu. if he hhad gone ryu from the start im curious how that would have gone. ryu strong anti airs and fureball game can't be fun for peach. but peach doesnt have trouble with ken

StoicPhantom

Smash Ace
Also, I think when we talk about her mobility, we have to specify what we mean.
It was pretty vague when it was first brought up. Given Zelda has good initial acceleration and Robin has respectable air speed, I assumed we were talking about run speed for Robin and Zelda and aerial drift for Zelda. Have been having trouble getting a clear answer from people though.

for Zelda specific application then I shall do my best to provide. Mind you, I'm no expert on Zelda so I'll be sticking with basic stuff.
First off, I'd like to say thanks for actually answering my question. I definitely appreciate you going in depth on this. And for future reference, we have a Zelda specific list of data on our character board here.

For air speed, say you're fighting Snake and you get blown up by a grenade and are trying to get back down without expending your double jump or risk Farore's Wind. We'll also say you're on either FD or Kalos or Town & City to prevent the obvious answer of just going to a platform. Higher air speed could be the difference between drifting far enough away to be safe or getting hit with an utilt.
The thing with characters like Snake, is that they tend to be high committal, relative to more safe characters like Wolf. His aerials aren't that huge of a threat in that situation and Up-Tilt requires him to be close to Zelda. Nayru's Love will be able to stuff D-Tilt and Snake can't really do much else from that position, so it's a fairly safe bet that he will go for it. Although, if you're playing this MU optimally, this situation shouldn't be happening much in the first place.

Better air acceleration goes along well with those examples as it would allow Zelda to reach her top air speed faster but it would also allow Zelda to pressure with short hop fair, bair or nair from greater distances as she'd travel further from reaching her top air speed faster. Zelda's current air acceleration is base 0.01 with a max of 0.065, giving her the 51st fastest air acceleration.
The thing is, the lag on those moves will prevent multiple uses and will make them unsafe to pressure with. Any extension comes with the risk the opponent will read it and dash back/directional airdodge down and punish. Other moves like Wolf's Fair have no real endlag to them, so you can afford to pressure with it as it's unlikely you'll be punished with proper spacing. If you whiff in that position with Fair/Bair, you'll leave yourself wide open for easy punish, due to lots of endlag. Nair is a little better, but leaves her open from below. It's not a good idea to space or chase with those due to that and they're going to work better as punishes, ideally with as little movement on Zelda's part.

Better air deceleration could be the difference between over shooting a jump and landing a sour fair or bair and being able to drift back to correct your positioning for a sweetspot. I don't actually know of a means to find out characters air deceleration for Ultimate so I can't say how good Zelda's is.
It's better to space by your opponent's current position, than it is trying to adjust with your own, for reasons I already went into earlier. I don't think this is relevant due to that.

A higher walk speed could be the difference between being able to walk just out of range of an attack like say Shulk jab and potentially punish with an ftilt or getting hit by the jab. Zelda's current walk speed is 0.914, being the 64th fastest.
In this case, it would be better to counter with an attack. All of Zelda's hitboxs are intangible or transcendent. So for moves that don't have greater disjoints, it's almost always better to beat out those attacks. Walk speed won't matter much in other contexts.

higher dash speed could be the difference between catching the landing of a Lucina player with something like a dash attack, dash grab, usmash or utilt or not reaching her landing in time, allowing her to safely shield and/or spot dodge. Zelda's current dash speed is 1.43 being the 72nd fastest.
With Lucina specifically, there's some risk of getting hit with a landing aerial, which can beat dash attack with certain timing. In general, it's better to forward jump while charging Phantom, since it can cover the same distance without putting Zelda in danger. At the very least it can cover approaches and pressure any shield landings.

A higher jump would allow Zelda to hit opponents on the top platform of Yoshi's Story with a short hop uair instead of having to go for a full hop uair. It could also potentially allow for easier or harder times landing the dtilt -> fair combo you mentioned. It would however make hitting grounded opponents with short hop fair or bair more difficult. Zelda's current short hop height is 15.24 (I'm not sure what the measurement is.) and her full hop height is 31.55, giving her the 53rd highest jumps in the game.
Of the top of my head, I'm not sure about the Yoshi's Story thing, but I don't think there is any issue with a full hop Up-air that a short hop would fix. The combo I mentioned was to illustrate how finicky the sweet-spot would be, that combo doesn't come up much in actual play.

Not being able to hit with the short hop would be a major issue. It's part of what makes her OoS game so potent and would make punishing grounded whiffs less rewarding.

A higher fall speed, much like a higher air speed could be the difference between landing before an opponent can run up and utilt or uair you if you're in disadvantage. It would also make tomahawks better for Zelda. It could also result in Zelda taking more damage from combos her current fall speed may let her avoid. Higher fall speed also means less time being offstage which could make it harder for her to recover and could make edgeguarding less lenient for her. Zelda's current fall speed is 1.35, tied with Olimar, PAC-MAN and Squirtle for the 60th fastest fall speed.
Like I briefly went into above, Nayru's Love is good for those situations. Frame 4 intangibility makes it easy to punish things on reaction and there wouldn't be any reason for your opponent to be directly under you, unless they were going to be doing those things. The issue isn't just landing, but also getting OoS. Her OoS game is powerful, but also suffers from high committal precise moves. I can think of no other characters more emblematic of this problem than Snake and Joker.

Both of those characters have massive hurtbox shifts in their moves and are thin or small. Snake can pressure with D-Tilt, avoiding Fair and Nair and the intangibility will protect him from Up-B. Joker is a similar way with F-Tilt. Opponents need to be at specific positions in order for Zelda to OoS properly, which can make landings difficult, even if she manages to touch the ground.

It's not really her fall speed that makes tomahawks difficult, it's her frame 10 grab and the fact there is no reason for Zelda to be landing in front of your shield unless she is going for the grab(she can't pressure shields). Jumps being frame 3 means you've got at least 7 frames of buffer.

There might be very specific instances where higher fall speed would benefit, but as you correctly pointed out, there's a trade off. Not being able to do off stage shenanigans means her recovery is vulnerable. That would make it easy for opponents to exploit the vulnerabilities in Farore's Wind's intangibility. Ike's Neutral B would instantly kill her every time. The status quo is mostly just taking more damage, so it would be best to leave things as they are, than give the opponent more opportunities to land the kill.

A larger or shorter initial dash could be the different between dashing away from a Wolf dash attack and either over shooting, making it impossible to punish with a turn around ftilt or fsmash, getting hit from not dashing far enough or going the perfect distance to get the punish. It all depends on the spacing. Zelda's current initial dash is 1.958, being tied with Mega Man for the 36th furthest initial dash.
I honestly think her current one is perfect. It's virtually a Smash 4 perfect pivot and makes for easy spacing.

Again, these are all very basic examples of benefits Zelda could have with better mobility stats. I mentioned her current mobility stats since I find that's rather important. You could, for example, increase Jigglypuff's air speed even though it's the second best in the game and that alone wouldn't likely help her by a lot as air speed is not a flaw for her. Increasing Zelda's mobility in any area may or may not help her a lot. It would all depend what is buffed and by how much. For example, back during Smash 4, Lucario and Kirby got very minor mobility buffs (I don't recall exactly what the buffs were to) but they weren't significant enough to make them jump up the tier list like Mewtwo's mobility buffs were. There's other ares that could be buffed for Zelda that may or may not help her more than any mobility would such as frame data or launch angles or kill power or damage etc. Better mobility in most cases though would be a buff, even if just a minor one.
Anyway, all I'm trying to say is that she could use some mobility buffs but the current mobility isn't her biggest weakness, at least I don't think it is.
Stop and think about Zelda's kit for a minute. When we think of Fairs, we think of Palutena's or Wolf's, Fairs that are large and disjointed while allowing for those characters to fast fall or retreat with them or otherwise stay mobile. When we think of Up-airs, with think of ZSS's, very fast low knockback low committal attacks that can chase and juggle the opponent. When we think of Nairs, we think of large long lasting and/or minimal risk hitboxs, that can pressure shields or setup combos.

Now think of Zelda's Fair or Up-air. Lots of startup or endlag, precise or slow hitboxs. Why? Because they are designed to be kill moves. Not spacing moves, not juggling moves, kill moves. As in, they are the aerial equivalent of Ridley's Dsmash, not his F-Tilt or D-Tilt. Dash attack and arguably F-Tilt are the same way. Why are they designed to be kill moves?

Because Zelda was originally the other half of a whole character. Her debut in Melee had her combined with Sheik as a single character. Sheik handled the neutral and damage, Zelda was brought out for the kill. In other words, Zelda was designed solely for the purpose of killing. She had no neutral tools to speak of. When they split in later Smash iterations, Sheik went on to do well, but Zelda was bottom tier until Ultimate. Because Zelda was missing most of what you need to be a proper character. She still has the same kit. Spruced up a little, but still the same fundamental kit. The only difference is her Down Special, which was redesigned from previous iterations.

Phantom Knight as I mentioned above is the Swiss army knife of neutral tools. In contrast to the rest of Zelda's kit, it is fast with heavily disjointed hitboxs, that cover large swaths of space. Each charge level covers a different element of neutral. It is everything Zelda lacks, covering spacing to approach. Without it, Zelda is still mostly similar to how she was before, with no ability to play any other state effectively but advantage. That's why she suffers considerably in MUs that invalidate it, like Pikachu.

This is why more mobility won't affect much. It's not even about how much or how little, she still has to play in the space covered by Phantom. If Zelda or Phantom is hit at any point during the charge, Phantom collapses. That means Zelda has to wait until the hitbox comes out and move with the hitbox. That's naturally going to limit her mobility. She can't just go charging out or a stray hitbox or projectile will ruin everything. She is bound to Phantom, because they are supposed to work in tandem. Without it, she is completely below average.

I don't claim to be a Zelda expert, but if I'm being honest I don't think Zelda's core issue is her mobility (from a design standpoint) but rather a kit problem. I think changing how Din's Fire works (maybe a delay before the explosion, or re-activation after a time) would do her wonders in occupying a space controlling zoner archetype. Zelda's phantom changes were great for pushing her in this direction and giving her actual stage presence, but I think Din's is still clunky and doesn't mesh well for what it seems to be designed to do. Of course a mini-rework is off the table in terms of patches, but I always felt there was just a discontinuity in Zelda's kit which hampers her identity and playstyle.
You're correct on that it is a kit problem, as I outline in the rest of my post. Din's Fire is awkward to use, but it has surprisingly minimal endlag. You don't necessarily have to hit with it, you can use it in conjunction with things like Phantom to force the opponent to airdodge into it or burn their jumps. On the off chance you do land it, the sweet-spot is generous and will net you an early kill.

I've been lurking in this thread for a long while since the last time I posted, so I figured I might as well address something that has been bothering me for the last few pages or so. Just going to briefly go over what I think about Zelda and whether or not her average at best mobility is an issue for her.

No, I don't think this is her only real problem or necessarily her single worst trait, especially now with how her tools have shifted from previous games (Phantom), but I do think it's a weakness nonetheless and some of the arguments against it confuse me. I'll just cover a situation with a character I'm familiar with to make it easier to explain.
I'm confused about your confusion. You seem to understand things pretty well and answered your own questions. Specifically:
Greninja outclasses her. He has more range
but I what I feel she lacks is solid approach tools
and the frame data
Zelda is forced to approach, this is where things get tricky.
Greninja and ZSS have moves with safe pressure against her on top of having to almost never need to cross her up grounded.
Like, if she suffers from all of this, what is she going to do when she finally catches her opponent? That's something that everyone replying to me is glossing over, what is Zelda supposed to do when she catches up to her opponent? Nair? Fair? Dair? Running Fsmash? What can she do to work around Greninja's Fair, which outranges nearly all of her kit? How about ZSS Bair/Nair? Wolf's Fair? Ness's aerials? Inkling?

I mean, you were touting how much Greninja's speed helps him, but then:
This ties into all aspects of his tool kit as he uses his low profile, range, projectiles
It's easy to say Greninja's speed benefits him, when he has all of this to make his speed relevant. If we gave him Zelda frame data, endlag, precision, range, and unsafe sour-spots, could you still say the same?

This is all of course, not going into how her knockback launches opponents of stage at mid percents. How exactly are you supposed to chase your opponent, when you are both trapped in endlag and knock them far away? Zelda has good ledge trapping so she can just use that in absence of being able to chase.

PK Gaming

Smash Lord
Did you miss the Marss set where ZSS was literally kicking the s*** out of him for almost the entire set. When you dont even have to engage him or have an guareteed escape option in flip-jump its a different story
That has nothing to do with my point though

Losing to ZSS doesn't change the fact that a frame 1 invincible* reversal that can kill is dumb
Near guaranteed 0 to deaths from a grab are dumb

I actually like Luigi as a character so it's not like I have anything against him, but that doesn't change the fact that Luigi is a dumb gimmick character in Smash Ultimate. Samsora likely would have won if he better understood the matchup, I feel

Last edited:

DelugeFGC

Smash Stick Space Cowboy
Switch FC
SW-2582-1162-1537

Losing to ZSS doesn't change the fact that a frame 1 invincible* reversal that can kill is dumb

I actually like Luigi as a character so it's not like I particularly dislike him, but that doesn't change the fact that Luigi is a dumb gimmick character in Smash Ultimate. Samsora likely would have won if he better understood the matchup, I feel
Coming from someone who mains Joker, this is comical, ironic and a little tragic all at the same time.

Oh, Smash community..

Last edited:

ReVerbIsSuperb

Smash Cadet
That is hilariously phenomenal timing with that Marss vs Elegant set at LTC 7. It showcased a lot of the concepts I talked about on the last page in visual form (feel free to scroll back and read if you're interested as it is at the bottom of Page 245 and I'm sure people missed it). The MU looks pretty similar to how it operated in S4 in most ways, but Luigi's punish game has been shifted in some areas and it truly was his saving grace against her.

Like, if she suffers from all of this, what is she going to do when she finally catches her opponent? That's something that everyone replying to me is glossing over, what is Zelda supposed to do when she catches up to her opponent? What can she do to work around Greninja's Fair, which outranges nearly all of her kit? How about ZSS Bair/Nair? Wolf's Fair? Ness's aerials? Inkling?

I mean, you were touting how much Greninja's speed helps him, but then:

It's easy to say Greninja's speed benefits him, when he has all of this to make his speed relevant. If we gave him Zelda frame data, endlag, precision, range, and unsafe sour-spots, could you still say the same?
I agree, and I did cover it partially when I talked about how having a stronger Punish Game adds to mitigating this weakness and gave examples of instances that occurred with Melee and Brawl Zelda. I also mentioned how she has other issues in her kit such as Frame Data and how she can't truly zone as well as dedicated projectile focused characters like Mega Man for example. Not to mention I also briefly went over how more mobility would make aspects of things she already does, better, (using Phantom to corner people after it's out). But it goes both ways, without the speed to even catch people in the first place, unless they gave her a zero-to-death or something to make up for when she does close the gap, she'll still have to do this multiple times to keep up enough to combo and land kill confirms and win Neutral.

Like I said, mobility buffs alone will not make her Top Tier, but it will add to her quality of life and that's all I wanted you to understand at a base level. Just because a weakness isn't crippling in some situations doesn't mean it's not something that still exists and this is a concept that can sometimes only truly get accentuated when the mobility gap is large and unfortunately, a lot of the better characters in the game happen to be faster. Not always of course, but it is a trend you see across Smash Games, some more than others due to engine and tools at play however. All I wanted to do was outline that a lack of mobility IS something Zelda is not above having to deal with and her current tools aren't enough alone to always play around it. Better mobility wouldn't fix everything but it would help and also take a little less weight off of how much Phantom alone has to carry the aspect of patching her issues; something it doesn't have the Frame Data to do all at once.

Here's another example since he was also brought up above: Olimar.

Myran covers it better and more in-depth in his video, but I'll try to summarize for argument's sake. Olimar's shield pressure post-nerf took a hit because of how his Smash Attack Frame Advantage on Block got changed (even worse if the move is staled). More characters can punish Usmash OOS now and this encourages Olimar to space with his aerials more to make up for it (retreating with the right color). Only problem is he doesn't have nearly good enough movement (Air Speed more specifically) to reliably do this in an effective sense versus a large portion of the cast. He can't weave in and out with hitboxes or re-adjust for max range to stay as safe as he can be. He's not always fast enough to consistently pressure with aerials or box people on the ground with his jab so he's left with limited options.

When he realizes he can't pressure like that, he'll run away and toss pikmin which can work, but still has him with not enough speed to truly do it for long periods of time. Unlike other projectile zoners, unless Olimar has a Purple Pikmin specifically, he doesn't have knockback so he can't really use it as a "get-off-me" type maneuver. His aerials are good (disjoints that are hard to challenge) but also unlike traditional sword characters, his pikmin can be killed at the start and end of the animation. The above info covered from 1:20 - 9:00 minutes so feel free to watch the rest or the whole video if interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7UuPvLUGRU

This becomes even more of a problem when you think about how they haven't fixed his shield yet and he gets poked by everything. He doesn't have a low profile run animation/crawl or good mobility like Greninja, so he can't always afford to not block when he needs to retreat or gets cornered, so sometimes he'll just get hit trying to escape and there isn't too much he can do to avoid it. Shield Angling mitigates it sometimes, but even still doesn't solve it.

Obviously the character isn't bad simply due to his tool kit alone (he's one of the better characters with this weakness at playing around it) and there is strategies he can use to keep up accordingly that I glanced over, but I'm sure he wouldn't mind having a mobility buff either in some areas. To help with landing, to maneuver more offstage to avoid getting edge-guarded as hard, to zone better and run away with projectiles, to chase those who platform camp against him because of his lacking air speed, and list goes on. No he doesn't necessarily need every stat to increase to formulate his gameplan, but to say he wouldn't care about having better movement would just be misguided I feel.

Last edited:

KakuCP9

What does it mean to be strong?
Coming from someone who mains Joker, this is funny to me.
Now now, that's no reason to take shots at people at their expence. Just because someone mains a character that's straight BS doesn't mean that they're prohibited from taking umbrage with other characters' BS. If they can clearly point out what they don't like in a character in a way that's understandable (just like what PK was doing), its perfectly fine .The only time it gets problematic when someone vehemently argues that's there nothing wrong with their character with baseless nonsense and/or de-crying everything with equal vigor.

Rizen

Smash Legend
:ultluigi:'s a good example of where :ultyounglink: shines as a counterpick character. YL walls immobile characters like him hard and even has a f4 sex kick for when he gets close. YL's big advantage is he can side step the games opponents want to play. Luigi's forced to go for hard reads, similar to the ZSS MU.

PK Gaming

Smash Lord
Coming from someone who mains Joker, this is funny to me.
This is such a pathetic attempt at trying to discredit my argument that i'm honestly shocked you even bothered. I'm not sure you realize how much of a fallacy your post was, but to be clear, it is both possible to express grievance with an obnoxious character while maining an overtuned character.

You do realize that, yes?

Last edited:

FruitLoop

Smash Apprentice
Are we just going to keep on arguing about how having better mobility on Zelda will affect her when Dedede sits here with air speed that's almost as bad as Shield Shulk (It's actually worse than his in Smash 4 but it's almost on par in Smash Ultimate but the very fact that his air speed is as excruciatingly bad as a character purposefully designed to have the worst mobility in the game) with the fact that Dedede literally drops 2-3 tiers on the tier list from his air speed alone as it removes half of his crossups, approaches, edge guarding potential as now you can just weave around his hitboxes with ease (even luigi can do it with his air speed alone cmon) and practically everything revolving around his playstyle gets hampered a decent portion of the time from his horrible air speed alone? Let's Nerf Dedede instead despite not having any approach options, neutral tools, ways to force approaches, horrible disadvantage state, can't get off of ledge very well, easy combo food, horrendous matchups against top tiers like Pikachu, super slow mobility, and the fact that he can't even kill a majority of the cast without fishing for a mostly staled Back-Air or praying that his ledge traps work.

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent

I actually like Luigi as a character so it's not like I have anything against him, but that doesn't change the fact that Luigi is a dumb gimmick character in Smash Ultimate. Samsora likely would have won if he better understood the matchup, I feel
Air Cyclone is an awful reversal for a number of reasons and its kill power is substantially lower. What in the world are you upset at to lash out like this? Its F1 invincible yes but the invincibility literally runs out 3 frames before the move even hits so if you properly meaty it it usually loses out anyways.

I don't mean to dogpile but this is like, the complete opposite of a productive post and its also unreasonable.

Luigi's function in this game from as early as month 1 has been that his neutral kinda cheeks and that his grab reward (and hit reward) is insane. This has been common knowledge, if people get hit by it at this point then generally speaking, they got hit by it lol.

Last edited:

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord
Dabuz's reverse 3-0 on Elegant does show the core issues Luigi has. If you cam put up a wall in front of him like Rosalina with Luma, or if you can just run circles around him all day like ZSS. Luigi has to rely on YOLO cyclones or dash attack to even approach them.

But all that said. Elegant played extremely well. You cannot count Luigi out

Last edited:

PK Gaming

Smash Lord
Air Cyclone is an awful reversal for a number of reasons and its kill power is substantially lower. What in the world are you upset at to lash out like this?

I don't mean to dogpile but this is like, the complete opposite of a productive post and its also unreasonable.
I'm never going to agree to cyclone being an awful reversal when it can break combos and is invincible on frame 1. It's kill power is substantially lower... but it can still KO. Also I don't think i'm lashing out at all...

Luigi's function in this game from as early as month 1 has been that his neutral kinda cheeks and that his grab reward (and hit reward) is insane. This has been common knowledge, if people get hit by it at this point then generally speaking, they got hit by it lol.
Yeah I know, and it's not a particularly great design. Dying because you got grabbed once sucks, and justifying it because it's "Luigi's thing" is something I don't agree with.

EDIT:

Dabuz's reverse 3-0 on Elegant does show the flaws of Luigi. If you cam put up a wall in front of him like Rosalina, or if you can just run circiles around him like ZSS. Luigi has to rely on YOLO cyclones or dash attack to even approach
Elegant was never going to figure out Dabuz's Rosalina. I can't believe he went for a naked ledge regrab on that final stock, lmao.

Last edited:

Goodstyle_4

Smash Journeyman
Dabuz put up a master class in showing why Luigi is purely a gimmick character. When you figure out his tricks he stops being so dangerous. Seriously, I loved watching him punish his random cyclones. Such an obnoxious option, Christ.

TTTTTsd

NNID
InverseTangent
I'm never going to agree to cyclone being an awful reversal when it can break combos and is invincible on frame 1. It's kill power is substantially lower... but it can still KO. Also I don't think i'm lashing out against the character at all.

Yeah I know, and it's not a particularly great design. Dying because you got grabbed once sucks, and justifying it because it's "Luigi's thing" is something I don't agree with.

EDIT:

Elegant was never going to figure out Dabuz's Rosalina. I can't believe he went for a naked ledge regrab on that final stock, lmao.
Marth Up+B is a better reversal than Air Cyclone and its on god damn Lucina. If you think its bad on Luigi wait till people start mashing that with them.

(For clarity, its invuln f1-5 in the air and also hits on....Frame 5! Actual best DP in the game)

Last edited:

PK Gaming

Smash Lord
Marth Up+B is a better reversal than Air Cyclone and its on god damn Lucina. If you think its bad on Luigi wait till people start mashing that with them.

(For clarity, its invuln f1-5 in the air and also hits on....Frame 5! Actual best DP in the game)
They're not comparable. For one, you're not going to beat moves coming down with Marth's Up B like with Luigi's cyclone. It's also extremely punishable on whiff, and it can't kill nearly as well. What are you talking about?

More pertinently, Marth and Lucina don't rely on their Up Bs to function in neutral like Luigi because they're more well-rounded as characters.

And to be clear, I said it was a dumb move, not broken.

Last edited:

KirbySquad101

Smash Ace
As a whole, placing 4th at Low Tier City is phenomenal for Elegant, especially when you consider that he defeated both Cosmos AND Samsora (twice, I might add lol) to get to where he was at.

This, coupled with Navy's 4th placement, to say that it's a good week for :ultluigi: currently would be a huge understatement, especially given that a lot of people don't have that high of a opinion of him.

He did have something going for a while with the Fireballs, though. If he just continued to play like that and didn't try to force his way into Rosalina's bubble near the end (something you really can't do with a character like Luigi), he might've had it.

Last edited:

TTTTTsd

NNID
InverseTangent
They're not comparable. For one, you're not going to beat moves coming down with Marth's Up B like with Luigi's cyclone. It's also extremely punishable on whiff, and it can't kill nearly as well. What are you talking about?

More pertinently, Marth and Lucina don't rely on their Up Bs to function in neutral like Luigi because they're more well-rounded as characters.

And to be clear, I said it was a dumb move, not broken.
You are correct in that they're not comparable, Marcina's is clearly a better reversal lol. It just literally is. Its got a pretty sizable initial hit hitbox and the amount of times you'll see it used in disadvantage is less because their air drift and landing options are actually good so they don't have to crutch their disadvantage state on a literal gigantic gamble (which is what Air Cyclone is). That's what I'm talking about, it really isn't a super great reversal, its adequate and yes, it can get him out, but its literally a giant gamble. Marcina air Up+B is actually good enough to discourage people from even trying to press too hard offstage against them in specific scenarios cause it can reverse edgeguard pretty well. I don't even think its a busted move! But its definitely what I'd call a truly good reversal, only real DP in the game IMO.

Luigi Cyclone, by comparison, has invuln that does not cover the move for 3 frames before its out, the move itself isn't really spectacular, and the entire thing lasts for 85 frames which means if they like, follow patterns and RPS him, its really not that great, nor do I think it is really that dumb, its just an option you have to consider because frankly the character doesn't really have many other ways of making you actually guess and his recovery is absolutely horrendous on top of that so.....

I 500% believe you're letting your distaste for the character get in the way of viewing the character's kit, which is decidedly lopsided (and focusing primarily on the damage he does from a grab). Do I think its poor design? Yes. Do I also think that based on the rest of his kit as it stands right now that he needs it to even be worth playing? Also yes.

Last edited:

PK Gaming

Smash Lord
You are correct in that they're not comparable, Marcina's is clearly a better reversal lol. It just literally is. Its got a pretty sizable initial hit hitbox and the amount of times you'll see it used in disadvantage is less because their air drift and landing options are actually good so they don't have to crutch their disadvantage state on a literal gigantic gamble (which is what Air Cyclone is). That's what I'm talking about, it really isn't a super great reversal, its adequate and yes, it can get him out, but its literally a giant gamble. Marcina air Up+B is actually good enough to discourage people from even trying to press too hard offstage against them in specific scenarios cause it can reverse edgeguard pretty well. I don't even think its a busted move! But its definitely what I'd call a truly good reversal, only real DP in the game IMO.
Yeah no disagreements there. But I don't think Marcina's Up B precludes Luigi's cyclone from being a dumb move in its own right. Elegant is disrespectful as **** and it's true that players have been falling into it all weekend, but the move is definitely very strong in its own right. Breaking combos that aren't true, for example, isn't a gamble.

I 500% believe you're letting your distaste for the character get in the way of viewing the character's kit, which is decidedly lopsided (and focusing primarily on the damage he does from a grab). Do I think its poor design? Yes. Do I also think that based on the rest of his kit as it stands right now that he needs it to even be worth playing? Also yes.
I wouldn't rule it out, and I don't we disagree all that much honestly. Though I feel like the bolded is a bit of a snuck premise on your part. I don't think Luigi "needs it." He needs to be less polarized as a character, in every regard (which at this point is impossible to do without changing the character from the ground up)

TTTTTsd

NNID
InverseTangent
Yeah no disagreements there. But I don't think Marcina's Up B precludes Luigi's cyclone from being a dumb move in its own right. Elegant is disrespectful as **** and it's true that players have been falling into it all weekend, but the move is definitely very strong in its own right. Breaking combos that aren't true, for example, isn't a gamble.

I wouldn't rule it out, and I don't we disagree all that much honestly. Though I feel like the bolded is a bit of a snuck premise on your part. I don't think Luigi "needs it." He needs to be less polarized as a character, in every regard (which at this point is impossible to do without changing the character from the ground up)
I genuinely do think he'd be not worth it without his current gimmick of actually confirming you into death cause his neutral and recovery are very weak. If they took out the ToDs and made the rest of the character better in meaningful ways, it would make him worth it. But the struggle he goes through in neutral and his other game states wouldn't be worth it compared to a number of other chars IMO.

I think in his current state he needs it. Does he need it forever? Nah, to clarify.

Last edited:

G. Stache

Smash Journeyman

I’m don’t really feel like addressing whether Luigi is a dumb character or not because quite frankly I don’t really care about defining what makes a character “dumb” or not because I could make an argument after the Elegant and Marss set that ZSS is a very dumb character that should be hit hard in the next patch if she gets to play that way against any slow character (Disclaimer: I don’t even really believe that statement, just making a point). But I will say that out of all the top tiers, peach is likely among luigi’s easiest matchups just because of how peach wants to rack up a ton of damage with combos and grabs. Which means that peach doesn’t really often go for more campy tactics even versus a character like Luigi. Every other top tier in this game can play a much more patient game against Luigi without losing much of their usual reward from doing so. Peach, if I’m not wrong, loses noticeable reward by playing patient the way that Wolf, Lucina, Pikachu/Pichu, Snake, ZSS and others can play a much more patient game against Luigi. I’m not saying Luigi wins the matchup by any means against Peach (he probably doesn’t lol), but saying that samsora would likely win against Elegant’s Luigi is negating the fact that Peach has to constantly fight and engage within a range that Luigi is dangerous in. It’s perfectly fine to not like Luigi as a character in this game. He’s very very polarizing as a character and it can be an annoying character to fight/play/watch if you’re not into that sort of design. But just making a statement like samsora should beat Elegant with just the addition of matchup knowledge seems disingenuous to me and, whether you meant to or not, downplay Elegant’s obvious skill that he had to have to get to top 8 with solo Luigi. Not trying to bash you at all but I just think that you could have brought this conversation about in a much classier and much smarter way.

Last edited:

blackghost

Smash Champion
its still very strange that we have moves that are frame 1 invincible and the shoryukens aren't. that seems sacrilegious.

i like how tweek plays trainer. he seems to be one of the few that fluently swutches and is not playing the character based on a the formula low percent= squirtle, kill = ivysaur, trying to live= charizard.
one of my favorite sequences of his was him pushing a ledge trap with ivysuar feinting going for a dair then switching to charizardgrabing a ledge option and killing with a forward throw.
another was tweek using switch invincibility to fall through his opponent and then kill them with zard's antiair upsmash. He has a the best handle on the character.

Imo if you aren't using all three pokemon effectively you aren't playing the character right. ignoring options because they are mediocre in most situations doesnt mean you ignore them entirely.
also shoutouts to sandman ryu is better than i initially thought but his weaknesses are ironically the same as most of the time he is in a crossover game: dat mobility tho.

Lacrimosa

Smash Lord
Why's Zelda compared to Greninja all of a sudden? Total different playstyles. That's like comparing Pikachu to Olimar.

Anyway, I think you're highly underestimating how you can use the phantom in neutral and Nayru when you get juggled by someone like Fox or Pikachu. Most of their combos aren't really true, depending on DI and you can break through their combos. Of course you can read that she buses Nayru and drop the combo but what if she doesn't?
Yes, you canh stay out of phantom's range but what are you then doing afterwards? Some characters have a good time coming in (Roy, Pikachu) but that's really about it. It gets tricky with Yoshi and Falcon but there are actually sets that show how Zelda can play against Yoshi. I think that MU is highly in Yoshi's favor, though. Like, she really doesn't like the characters that can circumvent the phantom with ease: Pikachu with quick-attack I assume (which is why Pichu is much less of a struggle if it even is one), Roy with insane ground + air mobility and Yoshi's unpredictability in the air and eggs. I don't see how Greninja circumvents her kit but maybe S StoicPhantom can help me there. I don't think that MU is that hard after seeing Myst vs. JW at Pound which was also apparently Myst's first time fighting a good Greninja.
Fox has a mediocre range and Zelda can outrange him if necessary. He's also very light which is of course good for her since most attack have high knockback. Also, Fox can't break through phantom easily unlike Falco because his lasers do hitstun and that's why this MU is much more horrible for her despite Fox's higher mobility in every aspect. Well, until thinks like displaced phantom are done but I don't see any of the pro-players use it. Probably because it's somewhat MU dependent.
Also her recovery is something that makes her near unedgeguardable or gimpable. She's a hitbox on the 2nd hit (unlike Palu) that should always be there when recovering back to stage. At worst, it will trade but it will probably hit the opponent that's trying to dAir the recovery. You cal also bypass the ledge completely and land on stage which is safe when the opponent is out there trying to 2-frame. And let#s not forget: The 2nd hit actually kills. That's why FOW (Ness) doesn't edgeguard her at all because it bypasses yo-yo and hew gets hit for hit (unlike Palutena who highly struggles to get the ledge in that MU)

And Luigi is finally doing some waves. I've said that he's an underrated character for quite some time now and he's finally getting really relevant results (not something like Top 32). That's really good to look at.

Last edited:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
\
Yes, you canh stay out of phantom's range but what are you then doing afterwards?
I attack it, to unstale moves for free and if I kill it, stall her from using it for a tiny bit (I think? and I'm not sure how long either, but its quite short compared to s4, that's for sure lol). Hoping at the same time in doing so I bait them to try to hit me.
The amount of time I get seems to usually allow a character to push her into a corner / bad position, at least.

Obviously character tools help against Zelda a lot, but it feels like once comfortable dealing with her within one match up you should be able to transmute them to others. Exceptions to where Naryu's is doing the Luigi Cyclone over and over again in middling range/faux combo (ironically, Fox is the poster child of this) characters.

I like zelda a lot as a character because she forces generally smart[er] fundamentals.
Who bothers to walk? The type of person who doesn't want to lose to Zelda.
Who tries to be careful with their jumps? Someone who doesn't want Phantom proverbially up their backside.
Who tries to optimize traps and do multi-step advantage states so it isn't constantly canceled out by Naryu's? The type of person whom also likes to punish Zero Suit's Flip Jump.

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
Well :ultpokemontrainer:'s certainly FOTM. There are 8 in top 64 of Low Tier City. Of course it helps that Tweek's using PT for now. Remember when Wolf was everywhere? There's not a single Wolf. Perhaps the nerfs turned players away. There are 2 partial Jokers which further makes me think he's a good character but not in need of nerfs; people just need to learn the MU. Plus Leo's absent. This is just one event and it's important to look at long term trends. Characters have popularity spikes.

Low Tier City 7 (695 entrants) (Texas)

1. Tweek :ultpokemontrainerf:
2. Dabuz :ultolimar::ultrosalina:
3. Marss :ultzss:
4. Elegant :ultluigi:
5. Cosmos :ultinkling:
5. Samsora :ultpeach:
7. MVD :ultsnake:
7. Pandarian :ultpokemontrainer:
9. Meme :ultyoshi:
9. Sandstorm :ultryu::ultken:
9. Joker :ultsamus::ultdarksamus:
9. BestNess :ultness:||:ultpalutena:
13. Dakpo :ultdiddy:
13. MuteAce :ultpeach:
13. Ismon :ultwario:
13. zael :ultpokemontrainer:
17. Stroder :ultjoker::ultmario:
17. Shadow_PR :ultbayonetta:
17. Key :ultyoshi:
17. Tenni :ultpokemontrainer:
17. 8BitMan :ultrob:
17. Light :ultfox:
17. Kurry :ultsonic:
17. ESAM :ultpikachu:
25. SKITTLES!! :ultyounglink:
25. Blank :ultchrom:
25. ARMY :ultolimar:
25. Fatality :ultfalcon:
25. Dojo :ultlucina::ultinkling:
25. Gaarc :ultyoshi:
25. TonySherbert :ultdk::ultdiddy::ultpalutena:
25. Lima :ultbayonetta:
33. Grayson :ultrob:
33. Megafox :ultfox:
33. Awestin :ultness:
33. YelloRello :ultyoshi:
33. Beastly :ultpokemontrainer:
33. Kwaz :ultlittlemac:
33. Slither2Hunter :ultmetaknight:
33. Crump :ultcloud:
33. Lui$ :ultfox::ultdoc:
33. RJ :ultpokemontrainer::ultinkling:
33. Phenom :ultfox:
33. El Niño (PiXL) :ultfalco:
33. Miloni :ultike:
33. Ultimate Razer :ultsnake:
33. C.Falcon :ultjoker::ultlucina:
33. Mufin :ultness:
49. Zie :ultpalutena::ultsnake:
49. Ronnichu :ultsnake:
49. Myran :ultolimar:
49. N :ultken:
49. Kazeroli :ultken:
49. KirbyKid :ultkrool:
49. Denti :ultpokemontrainer:
49. AvoiD :ultsnake:
49. Carlos :ultpokemontrainer:
49. SaSSy :ultrob:
49. Athena :ultrobinf:
49. Danbi :ultyoshi:
49. Shoe :ultzss:
49. Varn :ultlucas:
49. BC :ultvillager::ultness:
49. Mr.Newport :ultlittlemac:

ReVerbIsSuperb

Smash Cadet
Why's Zelda compared to Greninja all of a sudden? Total different playstyles. That's like comparing Pikachu to Olimar.

Yes, you can stay out of phantom's range but what are you then doing afterwards?

I don't see how Greninja circumvents her kit. I don't think that MU is that hard after seeing Myst vs. JW at Pound which was also apparently Myst's first time fighting a good Greninja.
I tried to prevent this exact response with my wording but it seems I failed, oh well.

I was not trying to compare Zelda to Greninja in viability or playstyles, it was used to showcase how movement stats alone can often dictate Neutral interactions and Greninja is a more obvious case. Greninja was just an example however, I could have used another character. He just happened to be the one I was most familiar with.

I also wasn't trying to say that Greninja shuts down Zelda completely, just wanted to highlight it can be awkward for her when she is forced to deviate from her normal game plan because of a lack of mobility. Greninja was just one reference point because he is fast and jumps high. But since you want a specific MU example, Greninja has a high short hop as well as a quick fall speed. He can SH FF over Phantom and land back on the ground to run in with pressure or he can time an aerial such as Forward Air right as it releases to close the gap: https://giant.gfycat.com/BigTerribleHarvestmen.webm

Yes there is counterplay and that GIF doesn't cover everything, but on a base level due to the fact Greninja plays well at mid-range, he can weave in and out of Zelda's threat zone and force her to pick an option to account for his presence. Press the wrong button at the wrong time or miss a move that should have hit, and he's in your face. He has a bunch of quick ground moves in combination with his speed (Dash Attack) to where once he gets within a certain range you can't react to his burst option and instead need to be more preemptive with your defensive choices. Again, Greninja is just an example character I felt I had an easier time explaining since I play him. Just like you mentioned, there are more who can do this to her such as Yoshi who you brought up for your own example.

I was under the impression that people were arguing that because she has "good enough" mobility for most situations that she doesn't care about having a lack of it at all. It's why I brought up example scenarios to showcase how there are real areas of play where it becomes a factor she has to play around in its entirety and when fighting characters who can actually threaten her usual sense of comfort, she can sometimes lose control. This doesn't apply all the time given how Phantom has partially patched up a weaknesses she had since she was first introduced to the series, but it's something she has to try to cover for nonetheless. I don't think she is irredeemably crippled by it, but I do think it's important enough to at least take note of, no?

Also please don't misconstrue my example of one perspective to say that I am implying there is zero counterplay on her part for the above, just wanted to outline why it's difficult and why sometimes it is not a trivial issue. Not saying anything is literally impossible, just indicating why it can be uphill.
I specifically said this so we can shift the focus away from a particular MU perspective and instead focus on the mobility aspect alone. All throughout I said how most of the time Zelda has the tools to play around it and how I was trying not to imply Greninja vs Zelda is an impossible MU.

Unsurprisingly enough, that was JW's first time playing a Zelda too, but I'd say they could both be doing things better. But again, I am not arguing MU Ratios. Even if you want to argue Zelda wins +3, that's not the point. I just wanted to visualize how a speed gap forces Zelda to adjust in Neutral accordingly when her default gameplan doesn't work as effectively because Phantom doesn't wall out or corner as well as it normally would. Others can force this of her as well, especially with a lead. Regardless of whatever ratio you deem certain MUs to be, none of that changes the way Zelda has to shift focus because of the lack of speed and that is all I wanted to showcase. I don't care about proving Greninja beats Zelda. That wasn't the main idea of my discussion.

In regards to staying out of Phantom's Range and what I'm doing afterwards? Shaya pointed out some of it, but there isn't anything saying I need to do anything. I mentioned that example with having a lead in mind; if I'm winning and Phantom isn't enough to force me to approach, what is there to tell me to stop running away? If the time is close to running out, I might just keep doing it. Because Zelda's super long-range tools can be out maneuvered, she'll have to do more risky or laggier options to chase people, and if those get whiffed within a distance that a faster character can take advantage of, then a whiff punish occurs and the percent gap increases as she is put into disadvantage again (even if just briefly because of Nayru's existence that requires more staggered pressure to deal with).

I think this will be the last time I speak on this because I feel we really ARE just going in circles and things are just being glossed over, read into too deeply, or just drifting away from what should be focused on.

From the start all I wanted to point out is that sometimes speed alone can dictate the pace of match and who is in control before you add in other factors. In some situations, if Zelda's tools aren't enough to keep opponents out or to pin them down and keep them in, then the match is centralized around that and figuring out she is supposed to play to accommodate for it. Anything else about objective benefits to having more mobility in Super Smash Bros. I already said previously and just to clarify once more, I am not saying it would fix everything with just that type of buff alone nor am I saying that she desperately needs it to even just function properly. And yes I understand her current tools wouldn't allow her to play like Greninja or get opponents to always give her what she wants without more changes. What I do think however is that it would help Neutral, Advantage and Disadvantage in enough parts to tie more things together to where she doesn't have to suffer as hard when people run away from her, mix her up at mid-range, or whatever else.

Last edited:

StoicPhantom

Smash Ace
I agree, and I did cover it partially when I talked about how having a stronger Punish Game adds to mitigating this weakness and gave examples of instances that occurred with Melee and Brawl Zelda. I also mentioned how she has other issues in her kit such as Frame Data and how she can't truly zone as well as dedicated projectile focused characters like Mega Man for example. Not to mention I also briefly went over how more mobility would make aspects of things she already does, better, (using Phantom to corner people after it's out). But it goes both ways, without the speed to even catch people in the first place, unless they gave her a zero-to-death or something to make up for when she does close the gap, she'll still have to do this multiple times to keep up enough to combo and land kill confirms and win Neutral.

Like I said, mobility buffs alone will not make her Top Tier, but it will add to her quality of life and that's all I wanted you to understand at a base level. Just because a weakness isn't crippling in some situations doesn't mean it's not something that still exists and this is a concept that can sometimes only truly get accentuated when the mobility gap is large and unfortunately, a lot of the better characters in the game happen to be faster. Not always of course, but it is a trend you see across Smash Games, some more than others due to engine and tools at play however. All I wanted to do was outline that a lack of mobility IS something Zelda is not above having to deal with and her current tools aren't enough alone to always play around it. Better mobility wouldn't fix everything but it would help and also take a little less weight off of how much Phantom alone has to carry the aspect of patching her issues; something it doesn't have the Frame Data to do all at once.
Yes, you and others have gone over 90% of the things I mentioned in my lengthy posts. Yes, we all know how mobility works and where it could apply as a general concept. Yes, we all seem to mostly be on the same page of the issues Zelda has. Which is why I'm confused at to why we are having trouble taking the final step in concluding that better mobility won't change the fact Zelda cannot fundamentally contest or encroach on the opponent's space and that mobility being equal, the superior spacing options of her opponent will always win.

This all true. Olimar needs more mobility to keep away from opponents and use Pikmin effectively, because he was designed to do so. His kit revolving around Pikmin makes it essential that he can safely space them and rack damage and kill that way. Plenty of other people have also used other characters as examples of how mobility/lack of can help or hurt. The thing is, I'm talking about specific characters not those. It's fine for Olimar, because it's vital for how he wants to play.

I feel like there's a bit of a misconception about zoning in this discussion. Most people seem to think it's about playing keep away and walling your opponent, but while the concept of zoning is a bit vague, it's a little more broad than this. Zelda doesn't want to wall opponents, she wants to draw them in. Zoning doesn't just mean you manipulate your opponent away from you, it means putting them in specific places. Again, stop and think about Zelda's kit:

Up-Tilt is very short, but covers everything front to back, D-Tilt is fast and can potentially combo, but also has very short range, F-Tilt is slow with lots of endlag for a Tilt, but can be angled and has decent range. Fsmash is a fast and large multi-hit but is telegraphed a bit, Up-Smash is short, long and very slow, Dsmash is very quick and sends them at an awkward angle but is very short, Jab is Jab. I've already gone into her aerials previously.

In short, her kit is designed entirely around punishing mistakes and encroachment in her space and not much else. Her only ranged options are Phantom, Din's Fire, and Farore's Wind. All generally either unsafe, inconsistent, or can't combo/kill. You need to be close to your opponent to really utilize her kit, which is why she needs to zone in a way that draws them to her. These aren't designed for neutral or chasing, you need to goad your opponent into attacking you.

Take this match for example. Notice how anytime Mystearica tried to go on offense, it didn't end well most of the time, even when ZSS is standing right next to Zelda? Notice how most of the wins came from when ZSS tried to attack?

Observe 0:24 to 0:28. ZSS poked Zelda's shield with an F-Tilt, then Zelda tried poking with an Up-Tilt, then ZSS tried poking with D-Tilt. It might seem even, until you realize there's a FAF of 30 on Zelda's Up-Tilt and the back swing leaves her vulnerable from the front. Had Doorstop chosen a better option, Zelda would have been punished. Instead, he ended up dashing back as Mystearica Naired, which is what led him to punish with grab.

Despite them standing next to each other, ZSS's Tilts outranged all of Zelda's safe options there. Zelda has no ability to poke and that Nair was a desperate preempt attempt. You can pretty much only hope for ZSS to jump here, so you can punish with Nair or Up-Tilt. Not because she lacks better mobility, but because Zelda has no way to deal with D-Tilt. Could Myst have dash attacked there and punished the dash back? Yes. Would it have been risky to do so? Also yes.

Now let's observe 0:58 to 1:04. Both characters are sitting in shield, waiting to see what the other does. ZSS has safer OoS options in this context, because none of Zelda's can either reach from there or are safe on shield. Thus ZSS can afford to wait and Myst had to be the one to act. Myst attempted to bait ZSS OoS with a shield dash, but Doorstop held steady. Why? Because Zelda's dash grab is frame 13, putting it close to ZSS's own standing version. He can avoid on reaction and Zelda has no alternative way to pressure shields, as I went into in a previous post.

Now they're both back in shield and right next to each other. Neither character can shield grab, but ZSS has safer OoS options and can punish Zelda's OoS whiffs harder than Zelda can punish hers. Myst attempted to preempt with Nair again, which caused Doorstop to roll back then punish Nair, because it's not safe on rising whiff, which ultimately lead to a stock. There was no dash attack option this time, because Doorstop was able to roll on reaction.

This again shows that it's not mobility that's the issue, but Zelda having objectively inferior options, due to frame data, safety, and lack of range. This is what I mean when I ask what Zelda is supposed to do when she catches her opponent. She does not have the ability to win head on or on an even playing field.

Now let's look at 1:45 to 1:46, 6:11 to 6:19, 7:23 to 7:26, 8:43 to 8:47, and 9:51 to 9:58. The first two are examples of how even seemingly small commits can be punished with Up-B. The rest are various times where Myst punished whiffs and even relatively small mistakes rather severely, doing 40+. contrast that with the few times Myst won neutral being aggressive or offensive. Drastically different, right? Zelda does not have the ability to combo off whatever you would use has spacing or chasing tools. Other characters might be able to combo off a stray Fair, but Zelda needs setup for her combos and it is orders of magnitude better for her to punish.

Does this mean she can never be aggressive or punish? No, take a look at these:

At 2:25 to 2:32 we have a quite frankly amazing combo. Zelda's Nair sends ZSS off stage, which allows time for Zelda to setup a Phantom. Either avoiding a ledge trap situation or not realizing what Myst is doing, Doorstop jumps back on stage into shield. At this spacing, Phantom will cover roll and OoS, Zelda will cover DJ, the platform, and any timed rolls with the Phantom swing. Doorstop has no choice but to hold shield. This prompts to sweet-spot Fair, while Phantom covers the endlag and keeps Doorstop trapped in shield. Myst then does Dsmash to cover any shield drop, which Doorstop parries, but is pushed back by Phantom. Doorstop then does the only he could do and attempt to Fsmash through Phantom, which Myst blocks and then does Fair OoS.

During that entire sequence, Phantom had Zelda covered, while Zelda covered the holes in Phantom's spacing. Once they trapped the opponent, their hitboxs played off each other and something beautiful happened. This is what I mean when I say Zelda and Phantom need to work in tandem, which is why Zelda is bound to Phantom. This would not be anywhere near as safe or as awesome, if it was a more mobile Zelda by herself.

9:20 to 9:30 is a similar affair. Myst uses the invincibility to setup a Phantom and Doorstop understandably goes straight to the platform. Zelda then charges up to the platform doing a preemptive Nair. ZSS already committing to a dash, makes it difficult to quickly punish. Doorstop could potentially chase, but would have to deal with Phantom catching his landing/jump or Zelda stuffing his chase. Perhaps realizing that Zelda is now above and Phantom is in front of him, Doorstop tries to roll through Phantom, but it isn't enough. He now gets launched straight into Myst's Up-Tilt, who just finished landing behind him. Myst then combos into Nair and not one to rest, goes straight into another Phantom setup.

Again, either trying to avoid a ledge trap or not realizing what's happening, Doorstop jumps back over the stage. Perhaps now realizing he put himself in Phantom's way, he uses Flip Kick to stall in the air. This allows for Zelda to finish the charge and move to cover the platform. Perhaps foreseeing this, Doorstop DIs away and to the stage, taking advantage of Nayru's endlag. This however, puts him straight into Phantom's reach, forcing him to shield. Meanwhile, Zelda is running off the platform,ready to capitalize this. Zelda now has the air covered and Phantom is preventing ZSS from moving forward, thus once again trapping ZSS at the ledge. Again, Doorstop tries to bust through Phantom, this time with a less committal F-Tilt. The thing about the Phantom's body, is it slows and prolongs hitboxs. This allowed Myst to trade with sweet-spot Dair, while amusingly having Dair endlag nullified by the trade. That then gave Myst time to quickly dash into a Fair, before ZSS could move.

Phantom allows for Zelda to do all the things I said she couldn't do, like approach, pressuring shields, and setting up combos. This is why I'm saying more mobility won't matter, Phantom is objectively safer and better for covering these options, than a more mobile Zelda would be. The damage output is pretty much top tier level with Phantom, with Zelda's knockback allowing for things like early edgeguards and ledge traps. You would not get anywhere near the same level using mobility and Zelda's knockback and endlag prevents her from being able to use mobility to further optimize combos. And it's not even that it evens the playing field, it actually gives Zelda an unfair advantage. It basically sets up a 2v1 and with the proper spacing, allows for the coverage of all options. This is also why it's a bad idea to attempt to camp Zelda, because it would allow her time to set these scenarios up.

And for the icing on the cake, note how Myst whiffed Fair when attempting to be aggressive with it and landed it when the opponent whiffed or when Myst was doing it from an immobile position or at a very specific spacing. ZSS crouches when going for the grab, which bunches up her hurtbox and allows for easier sweet-spots. When ZSS is standing, that thins her hurtbox, causing whiffs. That goes to show how important hurtbox shifts are and that more mobility wouldn't necessarily help that and might even hurt.

The common trend to notice in all of this, is that Zelda works best when the opponent is attacking her and is a disaster in everything else. Phantom is for aggro, Zelda is for bait. Zelda cannot aggro without Phantom. Once an opponent moves into her space, then the playing field is more even, but in any other state, solo Zelda isn't viable. Myst did a fine job in keeping up with ZSS, it's just that ZSS outclasses Zelda in frame data and hitbox range. Zelda cannot fight her opponents head on, she must find a way to draw them into her space. Drawing them into her space, means she must maintain some form of space, which is why can't be flit around as much, she'll ruin her own spacing and not have access to her superior ground options.

So in other words, what I'm trying to say here is that Zelda's playstyle revolves around convincing the opponent to keep attacking her. Opponents naturally back off when they are getting constantly stuffed. That's when those Phantom setups come in, to either coax the opponent back to you or get those ridiculous combos. Once they are back to you, you can continue stuffing them with superior defensive options until they make a mistake and allow you to get the big hits in. The princess who holds the Triforce of Wisdom, should be the one to hatch the strategies. Traditional princesses generally aren't much in the combat department, so you need a brave Knight to do the heavy lifting.

And with all that I realize I've been approaching advantage wrong and this is probably why you should analyze top players. Stay in school, I guess.

but to say he wouldn't care about having better movement would just be misguided I feel.
This and others have been giving the suspicion that my argument is being misrepresented or misunderstood. I never said better mobility is inherently not useful, I said it isn't inherently useful. I said it depends. Characters that rely on spacing with certain moves like Pikmin or Whips, would want better mobility. A character like ZSS with precise hitboxs, a laggy grab, and little shield damage, would want superior mobility to ensure she can pressure shields safely.

A character like Snake, with a poor disadvantage, but the ability to litter the stage with explosions, would want better mobility. These characters have a kit that benefits or relies on said mobility.

A character like Zelda, with small, precise, laggy hitboxs that nearly the entire cast outranges and/or outframes, no poking tools, no ability to pressure shields, no ability to fend off chases or use retreating attacks, no useful grab, no landing options, did I mention the endlag, no aerial combat ability to speak of, and nothing resembling what you might call neutral tools, wouldn't benefit from that. Have you ever thought Zelda's neutral looks like a schizophrenic mess? That's because there isn't much rhyme or reason to it, it depends a lot on what the opponent does. Y'all are shoehorning playstyles on Zelda that don't suit her. There's a reason why she was bottom tier previously and the things that changed, don't lend to mobile play.

don't see how Greninja circumvents her kit but maybe S StoicPhantom can help me there. I don't think that MU is that hard after seeing Myst vs. JW at Pound which was also apparently Myst's first time fighting a good Greninja.
The set in question is here.

I don't really have this MU optimized that much, so take what I say with a grain of salt. Greninja's low profile is like fighting Pikachu, but with a giant sword. Dash attack is difficult to work around as Zelda doesn't have anything to counter it with. Fair is also difficult to deal with as it's range and safety make it impossible to really punish, when used properly. It's not necessarily the startup that's the issue, but that he can ensure it's difficult to punish. His low profile kind of makes it difficult to preempt.

There are some other things, but I don't have time to get in to them right know. I think overall neutral isn't going to be an issue, it's advantage state. He can mitigate Zelda's pretty well due to his size and all of the tools to mixup like counter or Side-B. He has literally the most ****ing dumb confirms I think I've seen in this game, being able to confirm Fair from dash attack among others or Up-Smash from Up-air. You're basically looking at only living to 90 due to this and are going to have to find some way to end things before that, as far I can see.

I attack it, to unstale moves for free and if I kill it, stall her from using it for a tiny bit (I think? and I'm not sure how long either, but its quite short compared to s4, that's for sure lol). Hoping at the same time in doing so I bait them to try to hit me.
The amount of time I get seems to usually allow a character to push her into a corner / bad position, at least.
There's virtually no cool down on destruction, at least that's relevant in practice, the only relevant thing will be the endlag of whatever charge level it was at.

As such there isn't really much point in trying to destroy it and you are opening yourself up to attack. I'm not sure who you are playing or the skill of the Zelda, but optimal Zelda's shouldn't be letting you get away with that.

Lacrimosa

Smash Lord
I won't bother replying to the Zelda discussion. It's getting pretty tiring not because there isn't more to say but thinking about what to write is so time consuming :p.

Anyway, a rather interesting Tweet from Leo about Palu and other characters:

Last edited:
Top Bottom