• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Competitive Character Impressions 2.0

?

• Total voters

KirbySquad101

Smash Ace
From what I can tell, no one seems to like fighting :ultyoshi: lmao

He seems to be the one character that manages to cause major upsets everywhere, whether it was Seth 2-0'ing Maister at Smash n' Splash 5 or Banana Boy 2-0'ing Prodigy at Prime Saga.

EDIT: Elegant :ultluigi: 2-1s Samsora :ultpeach:

Jeebus, it's like things have suddenly turned up for Luigi overnight.

Last edited:

|RK|

Smash Marketer
With Light out at 17th, we could probably stand to talk about Fox. Char just doesn't seem to be showing up as hard these days.

Plus, Light being a player who likes to press buttons - I imagine Yoshi demolishes that style. Larry appears to be using more Wolf and Falco, ZD seems to be developing his Wolf more and more, so on.

PK Gaming

Smash Lord
Fox is definitely on his way out, at least in regards to the highest levels of play

He racks up damage like crazy, but he isn't oppressive in neutral. He straight up struggles to kill once you exist his kill setup range, and of course, his disadvantage state is complete garbage.

KirbySquad101

Smash Ace
Joker :ultsamus: 2-0s ESAM:ultpikachu:, eliminating him at 17th place.

I guess ESAM gets to share Light's and 8BitMan's pain of falling short just of top 16.

Last edited:

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Joker :ultsamus: 2-0s ESAM:ultpikachu:, eliminating him at 17th place.

I guess ESAM gets to share Light's pain of falling short just of top 16.
A friend told me that Samus beats Pichu/Pikachu, and with VoiD & ESAM holding losses to Samus + the clear strengths the char has in the MU, I'm starting to think that's accurate.

NotLiquid

Smash Lord
What a mess of a streaming schedule. Almost none of the upsets were on stream, even as far into Top 32.

Low Tier City 7 Top 16
Winners Side
Marss :ultzss: - MVD :ultsnake:
Cosmos :ultinkling: - Elegant :ultluigi:
Tweek :ultpokemontrainer::ultwario: - Sandstorm :ultryu::ultken:
Dabuz :ultpalutena::ultolimar: - Meme :ultyoshi:

Losers Side
Dakpo :ultdiddy: - Joker :ultsamus::ultdarksamus:
Zael :ultpokemontrainerf: - BestNess :ultness:
Pandarian :ultpokemontrainer: - MuteAce :ultpeach:
Samsora :ultpeach: - Ismon :ultwario::ultfalco:

With Light out at 17th, we could probably stand to talk about Fox. Char just doesn't seem to be showing up as hard these days.

Plus, Light being a player who likes to press buttons - I imagine Yoshi demolishes that style. Larry appears to be using more Wolf and Falco, ZD seems to be developing his Wolf more and more, so on.
There was an excellent post by TTTTTsd TTTTTsd earlier in the thread that went into why Fox has some real core flaws in his design that serve to age him pretty poorly the further the meta advances.

Personally I know I've mentioned pretty often how his disadvantage is more exploitable than it's ever been, but at the same time he's extremely weak to shields, isn't the most amazing zone breaker, and he's got a lot of fake strings. His mediocre throws means that in a pinch he'll be nickel-and-diming most players in order to get around a rather sub-optimal neutral. The more defensively players get, the more Fox flounders.

Last edited:

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord
What a mess of a streaming schedule. Almost none of the upsets were on stream, even as far into Top 32.

Low Tier City 7 Top 16
Winners Side
Marss :ultzss: - MVD :ultsnake:
Cosmos :ultinkling: - Elegant :ultluigi:
Tweek :ultwario: - Sandstorm :ultryu::ultken:
Dabuz :ultpalutena::ultolimar: - Meme :ultyoshi:

Losers Side
Dakpo :ultdiddy: - Joker :ultsamus::ultdarksamus:
Zael :ultpokemontrainerf: - BestNess :ultness:
Pandarian :ultpokemontrainer: - MuteAce :ultpeach:
Samsora :ultpeach: - Ismon :ultwario::ultfalco:

There was an excellent post by TTTTTsd TTTTTsd earlier in the thread that went into why Fox has some real core flaws in his design that serve to age him pretty poorly the further the meta advances.

Personally I know I've mentioned pretty often how his disadvantage is more exploitable than it's ever been, but at the same time he's extremely weak to shields, isn't the most amazing zone breaker, and he's got a lot of fake strings. His mediocre throws means that in a pinch he'll be nickel-and-diming most players in order to get around a rather sub-optimal neutral. The more defensively players get, the more Fox flounders.
I think Tweek has been using :ultpokemontrainer: this entire tournament so far

KirbySquad101

Smash Ace
I think this is also reinforcing the idea of lower-ranked characters slowly climbing up the ranks.

Raito's taking out multiple top tiers with :ultduckhunt: while also getting into top 8 at supermajors, Sparg0's getting much farther than he ever has with :ultcloud:, KEN just placed 1st at Category 3/4 tournament with :ultsonic:, and now, Elegant is starting to shred through top tiers like :ultpeach: with :ultluigi:, a character that has been mostly perceived as a mid tier character.

Really goes to show you can't count anyone out in this game.

Last edited:

|RK|

Smash Marketer
I think this is also reinforcing the idea of lower-ranked characters slowly climbing up the ranks.

Raito's taking out multiple top tiers with :ultduckhunt: while also getting into top 8 at supermajors, Sparg0's getting much farther than he ever has with :ultcloud:, KEN just placed 1st at Category 3/4 tournament with :ultsonic:, and now, Elegant is starting to shred through top tiers like :ultpeach: with :ultluigi:, a character that has been mostly perceived as a mid tier character.

Really goes to show you can't count anyone out in this game.
I dunno if anyone has read "Masher to Master," but there's one part that I really liked. It talked about how Ryu and Blanka in Third Strike(?) started in completely different places in the meta than they ended up. Primarily because one of the chars (Ryu, I believe) was simple, and so his strengths were immediately pronounced. But then, people got the hang of Blanka and Blanka rose. It's the natural progression of a meta - people will go for the easy-to-use characters immediately. That basically describes our top tier - characters that are immediately powerful and easy to use.

As the meta goes on, the strengths of the other characters will be discovered. That's why I don't think Leffen was necessarily wrong about Trainer - one of the first things he said was that Trainer wasn't worth the effort at that point in the meta. Basically, why go for a hard top tier/high tier when you could go for one of the easier ones? So now, we're seeing a bunch of chars show their hidden strengths - and Trainer is naturally one of them.

KakuCP9

What does it mean to be strong?
Ryu and Blanka in Third Strike(?)
I pretty sure it's some variant of SF2 since Blanka isn't in 3'rd strike (it would be funny if he was in the game).

Also I am curious to see how far the shotos can go since while their punish games have been buffed, they still have rigid mobility which can hamper them when opponents don't want to play their game and they're forced to approach.

Nathan Richardson

Smash Ace
NNID
Zeratrix
Three pokemon trainers in top 16 seems like players are getting the nuances of the three character system.
Do you think it's because their knowledge of the three characters is improving?

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
I'm always willing to admit I was totally wrong about G&W at release (thought he sucked), but I want credit for insisting PT is top every day since last December.

Interesting that people are playing wildly different ratios of the 3, though.
Incineroar :ultincineroar: does get destroyed due to being the slowest in the game. Because he lacks a projectile and has sluggish mobility, he often gets camped. I would say that I think his recovery is a much bigger issue due to its trajectory and unreliability, but the fact that you can camp Incineroar better than most characters isn't something that can be swept under the rug.
To be contrarian, many of the (actualy, legitimate, observed) downsides to being so very slow matter less on Incineroar than they would for most characters. It helps a ton that he imposes Ganondorf-style above him--it's much harder to camp a character you can't casually jump over, and this is the only thing keeping Ganon from being trivially-campable in Brawl and 4.

Lariat is the "beats buttons" tool that Brawl/4 Ganon always wished he had, and helps reduce the number of braindead melee options a camper might enjoy.

Finally, Revenge on predictable harassment (at enough range or against melee zoning) is

Fox continues to falter at major events
Fox is definitely on his way out, at least in regards to the highest levels of play
Just gonna reference doubles result against: Fox getting both first and second.

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord
I'm always willing to admit I was totally wrong about G&W at release (thought he sucked), but I want credit for insisting PT is top every day since last December.

Interesting that people are playing wildly different ratios of the 3, though.

To be contrarian, many of the (actualy, legitimate, observed) downsides to being so very slow matter less on Incineroar than they would for most characters. It helps a ton that he imposes Ganondorf-style above him--it's much harder to camp a character you can't casually jump over, and this is the only thing keeping Ganon from being trivially-campable in Brawl and 4.

Lariat is the "beats buttons" tool that Brawl/4 Ganon always wished he had, and helps reduce the number of braindead melee options a camper might enjoy.

Finally, Revenge on predictable harassment (at enough range or against melee zoning) is

Okay yeah but that is Doubles, that can almost be considered an entirely different meta than singles. That is why doubles is not factored into a characters resutls .

Just looking at singles Fox has failed to break into top-16 into A-S tiered touraments for some time now. Considering in the early in the meta where or more Fox players getting into top 8 at most majors, its rational to say he is falling of from those days

Last edited:

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Okay yeah but that is Doubles, that can almost be considered an entirely different meta than singles. That is why doubles is not factored into a characters resutls .

Just looking at singles Fox has failed to break into top-16 into A-S tiered touraments for some time now. Considering in the early in the meta where or more Fox players getting into top 8 at most majors, its rational to say he is falling of from those days
Oh absolutely. I was not intended to argue the point, just provide an interesting contrast.

NotLiquid

Smash Lord
I'd say that speaks more toward his maximum possible exchange. Doubles is probably the one format where you can be excused for having mediocre neutral and disadvantage, given that just the other week we had a Piranha Plant player place 1st at a stacked major.

Last edited:

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
Tweek:ultpokemontrainer: 3-2 Sandstorm:ultryu::ultken:
Sandstorm brought the set pretty close, but Tweek's PkMn Trainer continues to go on a rampage.

Joker:ultsamus::ultdarksamus: 3-2 Dakpo:ultdiddy:
This eliminates Dakpo at 13th place, and Joker moves on to fight against Cosmos (the player who sent Joker to loser's).

Last edited:

SwagGuy99

Smash Ace
Yeah, I think most people lacked confidence in Pokemon Trainer back in Dec-Jan.

Meanwhile, I was going around insisting he was a Top 2 character. I don't think he's nearly that good now, but he's still Top Tier.

Also, Luigi's results seem to be growing as of late, with Elegant and some of his other mains placing better at big tournaments. IMO, he may still be inconsistent sometimes, but as time goes on and people get better with him, he seems to be preforming and being used a lot better. I can't say yet that he's any better than low-high tier because his recovery is still crap and his disadvantage isn't that great either, but I think Smash Ultimate Luigi could turn out almost as good as Smash 4 Luigi eventually.

Edit: Just now seeing that Elegant's Luigi, a character who many consider a mid tier, made it to Top 8 by beating Samsora's Peach, a contender for best in the game. Even if you beleive Luigi is mid or even low tier, Ultimate is looking like a much more balanced game in the regards that even characters regarded as poor can still get good results at tournaments.

Last edited:

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
I'd say that speaks more toward his maximum possible exchange. Doubles is probably the one format where you can be excused for having mediocre neutral and disadvantage, given that just the other week we had a Piranha Plant player place 1st at a stacked major.
I think it's more that what constitute good/bad neutral and disadvantage respectively is somewhat different in doubles. For say disadvantage, things that optionally stall for time offstage are far more valuable, and risky combo-breakers are far more costly.

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
Cosmos:ultinkling: 3-2 Joker:ultdarksamus:
This set was pretty close. Joker's moveset with DSamus is nothing but art to see. However, Cosmos emerged victorious and moves on to top 8 loser's.

Samsora:ultpeach: 3-0 Sandstorm:ultken::ultryu:
Considering that Sandstorm brought Tweek to game 5, last stock, last hit, I was not prepared for the absolute slaughter Samsora demonstrated. Sandstorm was beginning to make a comeback with Ryu at game 3, but an SD at around 20% sealed the set away. Samsora moves on to top 8 loser's.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Wow, I came home to a lot of activity on this thread.

:ultfox: is not going anywhere. He's still 5th on Orion Stats and his weakness are being exaggerated. In what world does Fox with his frame 8 Usmash that he can combo Nair into struggle to kill? He also has a good Bair. I agree his disadvantage is bad for a top tier but his neutral's full of quick burst options into amazing frame data buttons and his advantage vortexes are very oppressive. Fox is probably the best rush down style character.

_______
Like I said, who knows what Tweek will do besides falling back on Wario. He's so good that he can, and has, taken many good characters and won with them. He might keep PT or maybe drop them like Ridley. But for now it helps their ranking.

I think :ultpokemontrainer:'s strong but each of the pokemon have enough weaknesses that they're not top tier, they just have a million people playing them. Now I could be biased because I think YL has an advantage in that MU. He's certainly capable of placing well in majors but that's nothing new for high tiers. The swapping mechanic does make the whole greater than the parts and allows each pokemon to have their weaker areas covered. But they're not as oppressive or over tuned as top tiers like pre patch Pichu and damnit I'm mixing my pronouns. Now top tier's power level is lower so they do fit better and it's not outrageous to put them there but I don't see it.

Rhus

We're going top speed!

He racks up damage like crazy, but he isn't oppressive in neutral. He straight up struggles to kill once you exist his kill setup range, and of course, his disadvantage state is complete garbage.
Fox's biggest problem, in my opinion is his super strict windows for success, his tricky and technical gameplay makes him very difficult to play against characters that have good "cover everything" options. His puny hitboxes easily get walled out by these same options, and put him in incredible danger. While his advantage state is very strong, it's also very scary because someone hitting a Nair or whatever on Fox in the middle of his combo because the Fox barely missed his follow up can literally kill him.

Fox is still good but his crazy precise gameplan and lack of a truly powerful neutral (no buttons that cover multiple options) make him really struggle against a lot of characters, especially for how punishing his mistakes are for him.

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
Top 8 for Low Tier City 7

Winner's
Marss:ultzss: vs Elegant:ultluigi:
Tweek:ultpokemontrainerf: vs Dabuz:ultolimar::ultpalutena:

Loser's
MVD:ultsnake: vs Cosmos:ultinkling:
Samsora:ultpeach: vs Pandarian:ultpokemontrainer:

Goodstyle_4

Smash Journeyman
I predict Elegant won't make it this far with Luigi often. Character is a giant gimmick that people are going to figure out eventually. You can only get away with so many yolo cyclones.

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord

:ultfox: is not going anywhere. He's still 5th on Orion Stats and his weakness are being exaggerated. In what world does Fox with his frame 8 Usmash that he can combo Nair into struggle to kill? He also has a good Bair. I agree his disadvantage is bad for a top tier but his neutral's full of quick burst options into amazing frame data buttons and his advantage vortexes are very oppressive. Fox is probably the best rush down style character.

_______
Like I said, who knows what Tweek will do besides falling back on Wario. He's so good that he can, and has, taken many good characters and won with them. He might keep PT or maybe drop them like Ridley. But for now it helps their ranking.

I think :ultpokemontrainer:'s strong but each of the pokemon have enough weaknesses that they're not top tier, they just have a million people playing them. Now I could be biased because I think YL has an advantage in that MU. He's certainly capable of placing well in majors but that's nothing new for high tiers. The swapping mechanic does make the whole greater than the parts and allows each pokemon to have their weaker areas covered. But they're not as oppressive or over tuned as top tiers like pre patch Pichu and damnit I'm mixing my pronouns. Now top tier's power level is lower so they do fit better and it's not outrageous to put them there but I don't see it.

I am not sure, it was mentioned but many holes are being exposed in Fox's gameplan, there have been many posts in the past few pages explaining them better than I can :ultzss::ultinkling: seem to be doing better now as speedy, rushdown/ hit and run style characters, it helps they actullay have very good disavatnage states so they can find ways to get away when they start to find themselves on the receiving end of a beatdown

Last edited:

|RK|

Smash Marketer

_______

This whole post is interesting, but I'll just ask - why are so many Pokemon Trainers doing better at a national level RIGHT NOW & so many Fox players doing worse than they did at the start?

I feel like the advantages and disadvantages are being listed without context.

Fox is good at playing rushdown, but this isn't really a rushdown sort of game. It's more of a fast-paced bait and punish from my perspective. Characters are explosive, but they do that from a safer neutral and more leeway in disadvantage. Fox's vortexes are also not as powerful as they were in S4, where it was a simple 50/50.

And as for struggling to kill - we mean relative to other top tiers. His kill moves confirm from other moves that require him to be in a vulnerable position (note Ike's fall as well, for really similar reasons)/contest with shield. Bair... well, a bit of appeal to authority, but Light complained on Twitter that people always say "oh bair must be stale" when it doesn't kill, but it's just straight up weak.

Trainer... Trainer has X-Factor, which is just as relevant in Smash as it always was. From Ivy up b and dair to Charizard bair, Trainer has the ability to play the game in many different ways and then just steal stocks every now and again.

Rizen

Smash Legend
This whole post is interesting, but I'll just ask - why are so many Pokemon Trainers doing better at a national level RIGHT NOW & so many Fox players doing worse than they did at the start?

Fox is good at playing rushdown, but this isn't really a rushdown sort of game. It's more of a fast-paced bait and punish from my perspective. Characters are explosive, but they do that from a safer neutral and more leeway in disadvantage. Fox's vortexes are also not as powerful as they were in S4, where it was a simple 50/50.

And as for struggling to kill - we mean relative to other top tiers. His kill moves confirm from other moves that require him to be in a vulnerable position (note Ike's fall as well, for really similar reasons)/contest with shield. Bair... well, a bit of appeal to authority, but Light complained on Twitter that people always say "oh bair must be stale" when it doesn't kill, but it's just straight up weak.

Trainer... Trainer has X-Factor, which is just as relevant in Smash as it always was. From Ivy up b and dair to Charizard bair, Trainer has the ability to play the game in many different ways and then just steal stocks every now and again.
The key term is "right now" because overall Fox has 591.25 points in Orion Stats and PT has 378.75; that's over 200 difference (this same arguement applies to ZSS and less so Inkling). And that's with PT getting significantly more players than every other character. I bookmarked @Thinkman's chart. Sometimes characters have bad weeks. It also helps that the 2nd best player in the world picked up PT the last 2 or maybe more tournaments.

If you look at the other top tiers, who kills better than Fox? You could argue Snake's Utilt, Olimar's Olimarisms and Pichu has a dozen stupid ways to kill but Fox is one of the better stock sealers after them. Wolf's throwing out f13/14 Bair/Dsmash, Peach got her kill options nerfed except Fsmash, Palu's decent but Fox is better imo, Lucina has to put opponents in disadvantage to kill and she got nerfed, Inkling has a throw combo but often fishes for Bairs or roller.

Last edited:

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord

Maybe that is why Marss is doing well with ZSS. She plays the speedy bait and punish plastyle well in Ultimate, and so does Marss. Plus even without her Smash 4 ladder combos she still seems to have kill-confrims and burst ko options up the rear. Marss has claimed many stocks with Nair into bair or flip kick ..also zair into Boost-Kick is a apparently a thing too. Why does that move seem to kill very light characters like :ultpikachu:and :ultsquirtle: like at 80%. She cant struggle vs tiny characters THAT much when a stray Boost-Kick / Flip Jump can kill then that early

Lucina has to put opponents in disadvantage to kill and she got nerfed
Fair and FSmash killing like 5% later is hardly a nerf, that barely even qualifies as a slap on the wrist. Plus Fox also has to put the opponent in disavantage lots of times to get the stock, and puts himself at risk a lot more than characters like Lucina

Last edited:

PK Gaming

Smash Lord
If you look at the other top tiers, who kills better than Fox? You could argue Snake's Utilt, Olimar's Olimarisms and Pichu has a dozen stupid ways to kill but Fox is one of the better stock sealers after them. Wolf's throwing out f13/14 Bair/Dsmash, Peach got her kill options nerfed except Fsmash, Palu's decent but Fox is better imo, Lucina has to put opponents in disadvantage to kill and she got nerfed, Inkling has a throw combo but often fishes for Bairs or roller.
Joker, ZSS, Olimar, Wario, Snake, Wolf, Lucina and Lucina are all better at KOing than Fox. Fox has a temporary kill setup, bair... and that's it. Aside from yolo upsmash, he can struggle pretty hard at closing out a stock. He's also poor at edgeguarding opponents and his throws are bottom class when it comes to KOing.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
The key term is "right now" because overall Fox has 591.25 points in Orion Stats and PT has 378.75; that's over 200 difference (this same arguement applies to ZSS and less so Inkling). And that's with PT getting significantly more players than every other character. I bookmarked @Thinkman's chart. Sometimes characters have bad weeks. It also helps that the 2nd best player in the world picked up PT the last 2 or maybe more tournaments.

But... Fox is up their for OrionStats Phase 1. And we are talking about right now. It's only over the past few tournaments where PT started to rise (and this is Tweek's first major with Trainer - Puppeh, Pandarian, and Wishes have all brought the char to top 16 or higher) and Fox started to see less and less use. Of course if you look overall, Fox is high - he dominated at the beginning. Any transitionary phase is going to be hard to track, unless someone tracked Fox and PT's month over month gains/losses.

As for the other top tiers, I feel like you're looking at kill moves too specifically rather than how they get their kills. That is, Wolf's frame data hardly matters when he can kill from techchases, safe OOS options, a random bair, ledgetraps, and a stock capper in the form of a late kill throw.

Simply having a fast kill move means little - note how hard Dabuz's Rosa struggles to kill with her frame 8 usmash, while his Olimar's frame 12 usmash usually does the trick.

Similarly, looking beyond the numbers, Peach has absolutely bonkers ledgetrap routes, guaranteed combo damage, can edgeguard, easily carries opponents to edgeguard situations, and also has a kill throw. On top of ridiculous pressure that allows those grabs.

Fox has nair usmash, yes. But what else? Where's his kill throw? His edgeguards? His busted ledge traps? He's simply not competitive with other top tiers in his variety of kill options/the X-Factor from them, or even some high tiers (really depends on where you're putting Chrom/Roy).

I can see him possibly getting better over time, but I honestly think that depends on how his non-rushdown gameplay develops.

Maybe that is why Marss is doing well with ZSS. She plays the speedy bait and punish plastyle well in Ultimate, and so does Marss. Plus even without her Smash 4 ladder combos she still seems to have kill-confrims and burst ko options up the rear. Marss has claimed many stocks with Nair into bair or flip kick ..also zair into Boost-Kick is a apparently a thing too. Why does that move seem to kill very light characters like :ultpikachu:and :ultsquirtle: like at 80%. She cant struggle vs tiny characters THAT much with that going on
Oh, hell yeah lol. Marss's playstyle is perfect for this game. Leo does it with Joker as well, and outdoes Marss with the style in their sets. Seeing how many moves Leo makes Marss straight up whiff is interesting.

But yeah, I feel like that's where the meta is. And that's why players like Tweek have said the game is campy/defensive while the average spectator wouldn't see it. Fox doesn't do that well right now, or at least, Fox players don't. It's possible that he COULD, but that's what I mean by "he could get better depending on how his non-rushdown gameplay develops."

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
But... Fox is up their for OrionStats Phase 1. And we are talking about right now. It's only over the past few tournaments where PT started to rise (and this is Tweek's first major with Trainer - Puppeh, Pandarian, and Wishes have all brought the char to top 16 or higher) and Fox started to see less and less use. Of course if you look overall, Fox is high - he dominated at the beginning. Any transitionary phase is going to be hard to track, unless someone tracked Fox and PT's month over month gains/losses.

As for the other top tiers, I feel like you're looking at kill moves too specifically rather than how they get their kills. That is, Wolf's frame data hardly matters when he can kill from techchases, safe OOS options, a random bair, ledgetraps, and a stock capper in the form of a late kill throw.

Simply having a fast kill move means little - note how hard Dabuz's Rosa struggles to kill with her frame 8 usmash, while his Olimar's frame 12 usmash usually does the trick.

Similarly, looking beyond the numbers, Peach has absolutely bonkers ledgetrap routes, guaranteed combo damage, can edgeguard, easily carries opponents to edgeguard situations, and also has a kill throw. On top of ridiculous pressure that allows those grabs.

Fox has nair usmash, yes. But what else? Where's his kill throw? His edgeguards? His busted ledge traps? He's simply not competitive with other top tiers in his variety of kill options/the X-Factor from them, or even some high tiers (really depends on where you're putting Chrom/Roy).

I can see him possibly getting better over time, but I honestly think that depends on how his non-rushdown gameplay develops.
So PT's the recent flavor of the month. This is just a current trend; who knows what will happen next month. You can't use this short amount of data to indicate Fox's decline or that PT's better. Remember when Leo was playing Ike and everyone was talking about how broken Nair is?

And Fox doesn't have tech chases? Fox's OoS is much better than Wolf's; Fox's Usmash is f8 and Wolf's is 13. Fox also has random Bairs and he can 2 frame with Dsmash. Fox lacks a kill throw but Wolf's isn't the greatest either. Fox's options are faster than Wolf's too.

No, having a fast kill move means a lot. If Snake's Utilt was frame 10 he'd be a much worse character. Olimar is a much better character than Rosa who can kill any number of ways including throws and aerials. Usmash also was unpunishable until recent nerfs. It's not a fair comparison.

I'm not arguing Fox is better than Peach but Peach's kill options took a huge hit in the last patch and that includes her throw.

Fox doesn't have a kill throw granted but he can drag down Fair and shine offstage, Dsmash to 2 frame, Uair and his ledge pressure is really good due to how quickly he can adapt. Fox is not the 2 trick pony you make him out to be. And the reason you see Nair to Usmash or tech chase Usmash so much is it's effective. Just because he primarily uses a couple options doesn't mean he lacks others.

Lacrimosa

Smash Lord
What placement?
96th I believe. Like, I get you will probably get eliminated if you get a Fatality in your way this early on but it's still not good and it's kinda in line with what I said: Zelda will going to be much less common in higher placing and will slowly fall down. I don't know if LTC7 is the right place to say so (after all, Ven wasn't there) but EVO is soon to come and I really doubt he will make it to Top 33rd again. His results at locals become worse as well and I know that Vegas is strong Dakpo's (4th at Vegas PR) placement at LTC7 showed that. But that's still a development...
I could be wrong but it really looks like that people are figuring out her and while that's true for other characters, it seems to hurt her a lot more because she's so reliant on these tools.
Well, we'll see but I start getting more and more pessimistic about her.

Last edited:

NotLiquid

Smash Lord
PT is less flavor of the month and more "flavor of the year". The buck always comes back to this character. They've had peaks and valleys, but what character hasn't? I mean, it's been a spell since we've heard of a good Wolf tearing up a major.

I still feel like the character rests somewhere at the lower end of top tier, kinda like a gate keeper character, mostly because the character's disadvantage is kinda mediocre. They share that in common with Fox at least. Much of what Leffen said back in the day about the crew kinda rings true for me; I feel like going up against Pokémon Trainer is the kind of thing that's going to expose whether or not you're truly "good" at this game, particularly in regards to things like edgeguarding.

As for Fox, I stick to my assertion that he's high tier, particularly when counterplay against him developed so easily once people stopped being afraid of air dodging and letting themselves get intimidated by his distinctly average pressure game.

Last edited:

Lacrimosa

Smash Lord

Light said he has an aching hand before the tournament. Could've affected things.

S StoicPhantom Zelda's kit wouldn't necessarily take profit from higher mobility.
Also, I think when we talk about her mobility, we have to specify what we mean. I think that her air mobility is quite alright. Tied with Pac-Man and slightly faster than Lucina (this seems to get overlooked by most Non-Zelda players who say her overall mobility is bad).
But I think higher ground mobility really wouldn't do something for her kit that much. At least not for her dash attack, which is pretty good. But it would help against didjoints like Roy who is simply the best character to rush her down. With higher mobility you can an even better bait and punish games. Zelda feels sluggish against Roy, Pikachu but also Inkling who all have really good ground mobility to my knowledge. But that's not enough since that covers mostly the "bait" aspect.
Paired with a better grab she could also punish better and these are two buffs I really hope they do or at least one of them.

Anomika

Smash Apprentice
I think Fox still has a potential to go (slightly) higher. He's just not as "easy" to use as in SSB4, he's more defensive in this game IMO, which isn't too bad of a thing (Also Light's hand needs to be checked, he kept getting hand pain a few times before as well). In any case, we can already see shotos already getting good results, thanks to the most recent patch. Some mid or low tiers are getting results, while some others not as well. This game's meta is honestly very hard to describe, and we still have 4 DLC fighters remaining, plus the patches.

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
Great, can you guys explain where it would benefit Zelda? I think I've done a decent job explaining in detail why it wouldn't matter much.
I was purposely broad with my previous post as I was just mentioning the general benefits greater mobility grants every character but if you wish for Zelda specific application then I shall do my best to provide. Mind you, I'm no expert on Zelda so I'll be sticking with basic stuff.

For air speed, say you're fighting Snake and you get blown up by a grenade and are trying to get back down without expending your double jump or risk Farore's Wind. We'll also say you're on either FD or Kalos or Town & City to prevent the obvious answer of just going to a platform. Higher air speed could be the difference between drifting far enough away to be safe or getting hit with an utilt. Another example would be if you're sent offstage by say a Wolf bair from mid stage or even the far side. Better air speed could be the difference between being able to grab the ledge just by drifting or having to go for the slower Farore's Wind, increasing the risk of getting 2 framed. Better air speed could also allow Zelda to be safe if she drifts away with a fair or bair and lands a sourspot, depending how much it's increased. For the sake of reference, Zelda's air speed is currently 1.092, tied with PAC-MAN for the 37th fastest.

Better air acceleration goes along well with those examples as it would allow Zelda to reach her top air speed faster but it would also allow Zelda to pressure with short hop fair, bair or nair from greater distances as she'd travel further from reaching her top air speed faster. Zelda's current air acceleration is base 0.01 with a max of 0.065, giving her the 51st fastest air acceleration.

Better air deceleration could be the difference between over shooting a jump and landing a sour fair or bair and being able to drift back to correct your positioning for a sweetspot. I don't actually know of a means to find out characters air deceleration for Ultimate so I can't say how good Zelda's is.

A higher walk speed could be the difference between being able to walk just out of range of an attack like say Shulk jab and potentially punish with an ftilt or getting hit by the jab. Zelda's current walk speed is 0.914, being the 64th fastest.

A higher dash speed could be the difference between catching the landing of a Lucina player with something like a dash attack, dash grab, usmash or utilt or not reaching her landing in time, allowing her to safely shield and/or spot dodge. Zelda's current dash speed is 1.43 being the 72nd fastest.

A higher jump would allow Zelda to hit opponents on the top platform of Yoshi's Story with a short hop uair instead of having to go for a full hop uair. It could also potentially allow for easier or harder times landing the dtilt -> fair combo you mentioned. It would however make hitting grounded opponents with short hop fair or bair more difficult. Zelda's current short hop height is 15.24 (I'm not sure what the measurement is.) and her full hop height is 31.55, giving her the 53rd highest jumps in the game.

A higher fall speed, much like a higher air speed could be the difference between landing before an opponent can run up and utilt or uair you if you're in disadvantage. It would also make tomahawks better for Zelda. It could also result in Zelda taking more damage from combos her current fall speed may let her avoid. Higher fall speed also means less time being offstage which could make it harder for her to recover and could make edgeguarding less lenient for her. Zelda's current fall speed is 1.35, tied with Olimar, PAC-MAN and Squirtle for the 60th fastest fall speed.

A larger or shorter initial dash could be the different between dashing away from a Wolf dash attack and either over shooting, making it impossible to punish with a turn around ftilt or fsmash, getting hit from not dashing far enough or going the perfect distance to get the punish. It all depends on the spacing. Zelda's current initial dash is 1.958, being tied with Mega Man for the 36th furthest initial dash.

Again, these are all very basic examples of benefits Zelda could have with better mobility stats. I mentioned her current mobility stats since I find that's rather important. You could, for example, increase Jigglypuff's air speed even though it's the second best in the game and that alone wouldn't likely help her by a lot as air speed is not a flaw for her. Increasing Zelda's mobility in any area may or may not help her a lot. It would all depend what is buffed and by how much. For example, back during Smash 4, Lucario and Kirby got very minor mobility buffs (I don't recall exactly what the buffs were to) but they weren't significant enough to make them jump up the tier list like Mewtwo's mobility buffs were. There's other ares that could be buffed for Zelda that may or may not help her more than any mobility would such as frame data or launch angles or kill power or damage etc. Better mobility in most cases though would be a buff, even if just a minor one.

And this is where I was getting the numbers for her mobility stats: https://ultimateframedata.com/stats.php

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Also, I think when we talk about her mobility, we have to specify what we mean. I think that her air mobility is quite alright. Tied with Pac-Man and slightly faster than Lucina (this seems to get overlooked by most Non-Zelda players who say her overall mobility is bad).
Her air acceleration however is notably lower then Pac-Man and Lucina's in 51 place. Overall her air mobility is closer to Charizard's then Lucina's. Zelda's air speed may be decent but her aerial mobility is kind of rigid.

I think this is what people mean when they say "overall" bad. She has some passable traits like a decent air speed and initial dash, but they're held back by poor stats in other areas.

Lacrimosa

Smash Lord
Her air acceleration however is notably lower then Pac-Man and Lucina's in 51 place. Overall her air mobility is closer to Charizard's then Lucina's. Zelda's air speed may be decent but her aerial mobility is kind of rigid.

I think this is what people mean when they say "overall" bad. She has some passable traits like a decent air speed and initial dash, but they're held back by poor stats in other areas.
I don't know if that's even true or how this effectively affects her performance. No need to go through "faster mobility = better". I think we established that and I agree that she could use more (like again, Wolf ground speed would be much better).
But given she doesn't move that often and she's kinda reliant of phantom she doesn't "need" that really. Salem may have not the best Zelda but his movement with her looks much better than Ven's Zelda. Everything else is much worse, though :p.
Like, I think when mobility is the subject then "we" have characters like ZSS, Lucina or Roy in mind that absolutely profit from that. Or rather, more "conventional" fighting characters. Zelda, just like Olimar, doesn't fit this bill really since they work alright in Ultimate for the time being. Olimar is still the better character of course.
Anyway, all I'm trying to say is that she could use some mobility buffs but the current mobility isn't her biggest weakness, at least I don't think it is. Like, her biggest things are a non-working nAir (sometimes) and a non-working fSmash (you fall out way too often).

But I hope we can drop her now. It's getting tiring to talk about one character over and over, especially for people that aren't interested in her. She's only a mid-tier (definitely not a low-tier) character, anyway :3.

Rhus

We're going top speed!
I don't know if that's even true or how this effectively affects her performance. No need to go through "faster mobility = better". I think we established that and I agree that she could use more (like again, Wolf ground speed would be much better).
But given she doesn't move that often and she's kinda reliant of phantom she doesn't "need" that really. Salem may have not the best Zelda but his movement with her looks much better than Ven's Zelda. Everything else is much worse, though :p.
Like, I think when mobility is the subject then "we" have characters like ZSS, Lucina or Roy in mind that absolutely profit from that. Or rather, more "conventional" fighting characters. Zelda, just like Olimar, doesn't fit this bill really since they work alright in Ultimate for the time being. Olimar is still the better character of course.
Anyway, all I'm trying to say is that she could use some mobility buffs but the current mobility isn't her biggest weakness, at least I don't think it is. Like, her biggest things are a non-working nAir (sometimes) and a non-working fSmash (you fall out way too often).

But I hope we can drop her now. It's getting tiring to talk about one character over and over, especially for people that aren't interested in her. She's only a mid-tier (definitely not a low-tier) character, anyway :3.
I don't claim to be a Zelda expert, but if I'm being honest I don't think Zelda's core issue is her mobility (from a design standpoint) but rather a kit problem. I think changing how Din's Fire works (maybe a delay before the explosion, or re-activation after a time) would do her wonders in occupying a space controlling zoner archetype. Zelda's phantom changes were great for pushing her in this direction and giving her actual stage presence, but I think Din's is still clunky and doesn't mesh well for what it seems to be designed to do. Of course a mini-rework is off the table in terms of patches, but I always felt there was just a discontinuity in Zelda's kit which hampers her identity and playstyle.

Glad the phantom has helped her so much though.

ReVerbIsSuperb

Smash Cadet
I've been lurking in this thread for a long while since the last time I posted, so I figured I might as well address something that has been bothering me for the last few pages or so. Just going to briefly go over what I think about Zelda and whether or not her average at best mobility is an issue for her.

No, I don't think this is her only real problem or necessarily her single worst trait, especially now with how her tools have shifted from previous games (Phantom), but I do think it's a weakness nonetheless and some of the arguments against it confuse me. I'll just cover a situation with a character I'm familiar with to make it easier to explain.

Greninja and Zelda. In every aspect of movement stats, Greninja outclasses her. He has more range, a quicker projectile for its distance, and the ability to play at mid-range and bait out options for him to whiff punish simply due to the gap in movement.

Things like Displaced Phantom or Nayru's among other tools to deal with opposing projectiles or work closer towards cornering and cutting off escape options to slow the pace are helpful, but I what I feel she lacks is solid approach tools (especially when dealing with the faster characters in the game) and the frame data/mobility to consistently zone them out alongside it. When she can't establish enough space and time to keep enemies out or if she has too much space and her super long range pressure isn't exceptionally potent, it can be hard. I see a lot of Zelda players reference MUs like Greninja, ZSS, Shulk, etc and they all have very similar things in common.

If Greninja for example gets a sizable percent lead or a stock advantage as to where Zelda is forced to approach, this is where things get tricky. Phantom is great and ties her kit together for the most part, but due to its design is exploitable. It blocks projectiles and when charged into the final few stages has an overhead/uppercut slash that hits the lower platforms of most stages, but depending on how much distance you want to cover for the attack itself so you can actually dissuade the idea of traversing on platforms, it has more startup on it allowing for counter play and she has to be closer to make use of it to hit people (one example where closing the gap faster would help). On certain stages with higher platforms for avoidance or with characters who have high jumps, waiting it out and/or circle camping by using the platforms as a movement tool has a strong effect.

Fully Charged Phantom has the best hitbox for reaching platforms and sometimes even catching the startup of jumping, but this can't be spammed as effectively due to the move's design. Even if you are displacing it every single time to avoid getting the starting charge hit by a projectile and the move fizzling, in the final stage, because it remains on the field for a little while longer after swinging, you can't throw another one out right away and thus it has a natural cooldown. If Zelda is being pressured a lot in Neutral or is trying to use it for zoning purposes, they might want to release the overhead swing (or earlier) so they can pressure back with it sooner, but this has its own share of issues (less distance and power for example) and she is put in an awkward position in certain MUs. Having to rely so much on this move can be troublesome due to the startup and endlag that allows for Whiff Punish opportunities; it definitely can't be utilized mindlessly.

Greninja (similar to ZSS) has a Top 3 Jump Height and enough Air Speed to make use of it well as they move from platform to platform, up and down and back to the ground again with Fall Speed as well. This adds to their mobility and separates the MU from someone like Mac (who has a huge ground speed advantage over Zelda) from doing better than they do (alongside other weaknesses of course). Besides not having any range or projectiles, Mac can't truly camp her out. He can't jump into the air well, so he has to make his way through her zone, and in this game especially, it's way harder to do. She might find it annoying if Mac has a lead, but she gets her chance when Mac has to go through her because at least if Mac hits her shield, he's unsafe and she can punish OOS and Mac has to resort to rolls and whatnot because he can't run past anymore. Greninja and ZSS have moves with safe pressure against her on top of having to almost never need to cross her up grounded. If Mac gets cornered, he's stuck, but Greninja and ZSS just jump over her or to a platform and reset. Zelda has average Air Speed and below average Air Acceleration. When she has to jump to chase people weaving around her because her projectiles aren't enough and Farore's is too risky to use to catch up, this is where it can fall apart at times and it can snowball out of her favor as faster characters whiff punish laggy attempts to chase, she gets put in disadvantage where she struggles to land or regain center stage, and the percent gap just increases even further incentivizing the idea of going right back to playing lame.

What I will agree with is that this weakness isn't as pronounced as it was in previous games, and Phantom actually has a lot to do with it. But having a Punish Game is helpful too and so is the natural mobility buff the engine transition provided. Zelda isn't a great character in Melee and Brawl and for example, her MU vs Fox is what you expect in agreeance to this. However, due to the contrast in tools/punish game, it plays out a little differently (although it's still rough in both of course). In Melee, Fox camps out Zelda with Lasers and runs the whole time, but if Zelda finally catches Fox, she at least gets to Chain Grab him to death. In Brawl, she struggles chasing Fox as well, but then she closes the gap and gets something like a grab...and that's it. Zelda gives him a measly 8% while she took 60%+ trying to chase him across the stage. She has to try and catch someone for subpar damage vs someone who's faster and has an easier time doing damage in comparison.

The issue is no one is consistently playing super lame like this, but if they want to shut her down harder and not have to deal with her better punish game in Ultimate so they can win, they would. I have no remorse with timing out opponents if I see the clock is winding down enough. Also please don't misconstrue my example of one perspective to say that I am implying there is zero counterplay on her part for the above, just wanted to outline why it's difficult and why sometimes it is not a trivial issue. Not saying anything is literally impossible, just indicating why it can be uphill.

There is definitely more than one way to solve this problem though, but I feel like everyone is going in circles with the arguments. Most of y'all on opposing sides seem to agree with the majority of concepts, but the nitpicking isn't helping either of your cases. If Zelda had an even stronger punish game, the ability to trap certain opponents in disadvantage longer, or if Phantom had less startup and cooldown to where she can consistently pressure from a long distance with it, then yes her overall lacking mobility would be less of an issue as she'd have adequate tools to play around it. And in some MUs, I'd say she does have enough tools to play around it, but I fail to see how in a Platform Fighter like Super Smash Bros. how a movement buff wouldn't be helpful to her, especially when on paper her stats for that category is in the middle of the cast across the board.

Not every stat increase would be drastically beneficial to how she wants to play or what she'd get off of it with her current tools, but some of it would just be objectively a buff and I'm sure in certain MUs she definitely wouldn't mind having it. Everything else about specific and objective stat increases and how it wouldn't hurt to have a rise in some areas I think Krysco covered pretty well.

Even just very surface level stuff like having a little more speed to catch landings with for example I can't see being a bad thing. Movement isn't simply just about running left to right because this isn't that type of game. It's why I feel one could argue Greninja has the best overall mobility even still. He may not be #1 in every individual stat, but he ranks in the Top 10 for almost all of them. For a quick reference, this reminds me of hearing Venia talk about Greninja and Fox in the previous game. While some stats have shifted from S4, Fox still has a very slight edge in Walk and Run Speed. However, Venia liked to compare Fox's movement to a Bullet. Fox is fast, but only going one way at a time. If he's running, he's only going horizontally fast. If he's jumping, it's just quick up and down due to his Fall Speed. Fox has slightly higher air speed than he used to, but still not near Greninja's level so all the in-between movement isn't as crisp. Greninja however can go every direction and mix it up as he pleases. His jump allows him to reach the top of the stage and his fast fall speed allows him to reach the bottom just as effectively (Even Dair dives him to the floor should he need to and Hydro Pump, Shadow Sneak and Shuriken give him varied Special Mobility which is unique in and of itself). His Air Speed allows for better platform camping as he darts around the stage and not everyone can chase him super well when he commits to it.

This ties into all aspects of his tool kit as he uses his low profile, range, projectiles and speed to control the pace, stage control (avoiding getting cornered), and how much he needs to actually shield things. It's why it pains me to see Greninja players not abusing this all as much as they should be and refusing to go passive and extend a lead when they should, but hopefully that'll change in the future.

Last edited:
Top Bottom