• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Competitive Character Impressions 2.0

?

• Total voters

Lacrimosa

Smash Lord
One thing to note is that a lot of characters that have made giant leaps between SSB4 and Ultimate were already on their way to slowly climbing upwards in SSB4's tier lists. :4palutena: has slowly made a better impression on the community thanks to Prince Ramen's efforts, :4wario2:started to improve near the end thanks to Gluttony, and even characters like :4dedede: were starting to garner a better reception because of Zaki. Meanwhile characters like :4kirby: , :4ganondorf:, and :4jigglypuff: continued to bite the dust (aside from Komota's one upset on Ally). :4pacman:to :ultpacman: can be considered an exception, but even then, Sinji had been performing well in early 2018 with him.

Which of these characters mentioned are currently be considered high/top tier right now in Ultimate and which of these characters are being considered low/bottom tier right now in Ultimate?

There is exceptions to this idea: While :4falco: and :4zelda: have continued to remain low/bottom tier characters, :ultzelda: and :ultfalco: have been making far better strides and have been (mostly) solidified as mid-tier characters. I'm not advocating that all characters were equally buffed (after all, you don't see characters like :ultkirby: and :ultjigglypuff: running around nearly as much as :ultpalutena: or even :ultfalco:), but I am suggesting the differences in buffs between lower tier characters may not be as big as we think.
Zelda has been getting less and less results as off late. Probably because the flaws are finally overshadowing the strengths (give her a better grab start-up, please).
Ven seems to struggle more even at his locals (tbh. Vegas has 1Yoshi, 2 Palus and 1 Diddy which are all at least questionable MUs for her but still).
Not feeling that confident tbh. unless Ven gets into Top 32 with her but his runs ended at 33rd lately which may be good but it's not something someone that is considered the best with a solid character should be aiming for. 25th place looks better even if it's only one match and on that level you don't want to run into a bad MU but top-tiers (except for Wario, Wolf and maybe Fox) are all bad MUs for her.

Rran

Smash Apprentice
I think in a vacuum--taking Ganondorf's moveset and frame data individually--it's easy to draw attention to the fighter's various flaws in relation to the rest of the cast. But in practice, it's a bit of a different story, I feel. Ganondorf hits like a truck, and regardless of whatever percentage lead (or even stock advantage) you may have over the character in a given match, there's always--to me, at least--the lingering fear that maybe he'll bring this back...

Now this isn't to say G-dorf is some lowkey high tier character or anything: I'm just not necessarily ready to say he's one of the worst characters, either :smirk:

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
People are going slam for this, but I don't really believe there are any "bad" or low tier characters at all.

Everyone can just do too much, it's that simple IMO.
I disagree heavily. There are plenty of bad characters, and actually bad as well, not just "bad in relativity to a generally buffed cast." Every character has at least some gimmick that someone might need to be aware of before fighting, but that doesn't make them passable. For example, someone like say, Piranha Plant, is flawed in practically every way that matters despite having an uber situational smokescreen that maaaaybe will work once or twice on a legitimately good player.

Gérard Majax

Smash Cadet
I thought :4mewtwo: proved a character with such unfavourable physical attributes can still be good. He did start out mediocre until he got buffs, but not for his weight. It was mobility that pushed him to the top. A middleweight Mewtwo with middling movement would still have been underwhelming.

Buffing Ridley's weight would be a negligible impact, surviving one or two hits more at best with how bad his disadvantage is. Better to focus on his aerial mobility where he excels.

Weight may be good for making a character less scary to pick up, but ultimately it's a weak factor in affecting viability.
Yeah but s4 m2 could also shut down half the cast with dtilt and shadow ball only, and had multiple high damaging combo and kill confirms from moves he could find reasonably easily in neutral. He also had the best airdodge in the game, which helped a lot. Ridley (and also ult m2) does not have anything close to that which could compensate for his horrible attributes. My point is that sure s4 m2 was viable with bad physical attributes, but thanks god he had them because he was absolutely busted otherwise.

I don't think buffing his weight to super-heavy standard would be negligible. Sure his disadvantage is bad, but so are DDD/K Rool/Bowser/DK, and I'm pretty sure these would be atrocious with Ridley's weight (especially DDD, his whole gameplan is "tank and bamboozle" lol). I'd argue his disadvantage is better than Bowser/DK thanks to his less-awful recovery and nair. Surviving longer means more opportunity to land a hit, possibly with rage, maybe one more edgegard, one more ledgetrap (rage ftilt kills pretty early!), one more fsmash read... You get my point.
It's hard to estimate how much of an impact it would make for the character though, and I'm not convinced that nintendo will make him a true heavy because of character flavor.

$.A.F.

Smash Journeyman
I disagree heavily. There are plenty of bad characters, and actually bad as well, not just "bad in relativity to a generally buffed cast." Every character has at least some gimmick that someone might need to be aware of before fighting, but that doesn't make them passable. For example, someone like say, Piranha Plant, is flawed in practically every way that matters despite having an uber situational smokescreen that maaaaybe will work once or twice on a legitimately good player.
I don’t agree with the first part. Every character that is considered not passable has actually done things consistently except for like Mac and take that with a grain of salt because I don’t even know his players. Bowser jr. just got top 8 at a major this week. Duck Hunt Dog got 3rd at the same tournament, Second at CTP3, and win the 15k WNF. Zelda’s got 17th at prime saga and wins over players such as Esam. King K. Rool has won a major in case you guys forgot. As we all know an Isabelle was able to take a set off of [NAME REDACTED] just a couple weeks back. Piranha Plant has a 17th at an A tier, top 64 at an S tier, wins over Tamim, Gackt, Goblin, etc. Speaking of Plant I have to hard disagree. We have weaknesses but we also have strengths including:
-Great advantage state
-Weirdly good matchups against top tiers like Olimar Snake
-Has Belmont axe on crack that can anti air, shield poke, shield break, combo, juggle and kill
-Has a semi intangible up smash that comes out frame 12 and kills at 80
-Has some of the game’s best edge guarding and arguably ledge trapping
-Can stall/protect his recovery with literally every special
-Lives forever and kills early
-has a decent kill throw
-A great juggling game including
-A super armored juggling tool that zone breaks
-a great baiting/conditioning tool in poison
-and more.
-Plant has his faults and definitely isn’t high tier, but he’s definitely not bottom 1 and probably not bottom 15

(Sorry for the block text, wasn’t on purpose)

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Yeah but s4 m2 could also shut down half the cast with dtilt and shadow ball only, and had multiple high damaging combo and kill confirms from moves he could find reasonably easily in neutral. He also had the best airdodge in the game, which helped a lot. Ridley (and also ult m2) does not have anything close to that which could compensate for his horrible attributes. My point is that sure s4 m2 was viable with bad physical attributes, but thanks god he had them because he was absolutely busted otherwise.

I don't think buffing his weight to super-heavy standard would be negligible. Sure his disadvantage is bad, but so are DDD/K Rool/Bowser/DK, and I'm pretty sure these would be atrocious with Ridley's weight (especially DDD, his whole gameplan is "tank and bamboozle" lol). I'd argue his disadvantage is better than Bowser/DK thanks to his less-awful recovery and nair. Surviving longer means more opportunity to land a hit, possibly with rage, maybe one more edgegard, one more ledgetrap (rage ftilt kills pretty early!), one more fsmash read... You get my point.
It's hard to estimate how much of an impact it would make for the character though, and I'm not convinced that nintendo will make him a true heavy because of character flavor.
And yet King K. Rool is generally considered worse than Ridley despite supposedly having more chances to turn things around with his weight, so I think it's pretty clear what matters more for viability (mobility and safe moves) at the end of the day.

But do we really want characters like Mewtwo and Ridley who already have very versatile options on offence to have unparralleled combo games too? I'm not a fan of the "if you're really good, you don't need to play any other character than this" type.

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion
They are on the upper end, although I can't think of 20 characters they're better than.
Little Mac, King K. Rool, Kirby, Isabelle, Ganondorf, Jigglypuff, Bowser Jr., Mii Brawler/Gunner/Swordfighter (potentially, hard to tell with the Miis), Ridley, Incineroar, Ice Climbers (potentially, hard to tell with the climbers), Piranha Plant, Donkey Kong, Corrin, Zelda, Dr. Mario, Samus/Dark Samus, Belmonts, Bayonetta, Robin (potentially, some have high hopes for her), King Dedede, maybe Diddy Kong. That's... 24 characters (not counting echoes), who are all weaker than Wii Fit Trainer, Lucas, Mewtwo, and Villager, based on what I've seen.

Ganon's a weird case because he's probably the worst super heavy solo but possibly the best as a player counterpick.
I believe that tier lists should determine solo viability and not counter-pick strength. Ganondorf may be a decent counter-pick character, but as a solomain his bad MUs against several top tiers (he probably goes -2 versus Lucina too) are devastating.

D

Deleted member

I really haven’t seen much talk over :ultmetaknight:. Most people consider him to be a mid-tier but I haven’t heard much for his results. He feels really underwhelming and while this is obviously his worst placement in the series, nobody seems to consider him to be bottom 20. He feels harder to play (especially compared to Kirby and Dedede), he doesn't have as many easy/reliable combos (up-air -> shuttle loop isn't effective anymore), his KO potential has been toned down, range is poor, and his endurance is bleh. Sure he has a decent recovery and great mobility, but aside from local tournaments he's a rare sight everywhere else.

I think he's bottom 10-15 since his primary strengths have been toned down (KO power/combos), while his weaknesses were largely retained or further worsened (range/endurance).

StoicPhantom

Smash Ace
Robin is definitely not a low tier. That character was mid tier at worst in 4, and has gotten substantial buffs in Ultimate, including and especially jump squat changes. They might have lost throw combos, stupidly powerful projectiles(Tomes), and had some very questionable changes to the Levin mechanic, but nearly every other move has gotten tweaked to actually work properly. The engine makes trapping much easier, while shields and off stage being worse, makes the new Arcthunder and Levin Nair potent trapping tools. Upper mid tier at worst, leaning towards high tier IMO.

Zelda has been getting less and less results as off late. Probably because the flaws are finally overshadowing the strengths (give her a better grab start-up, please).
Ven seems to struggle more even at his locals (tbh. Vegas has 1Yoshi, 2 Palus and 1 Diddy which are all at least questionable MUs for her but still).
Not feeling that confident tbh. unless Ven gets into Top 32 with her but his runs ended at 33rd lately which may be good but it's not something someone that is considered the best with a solid character should be aiming for. 25th place looks better even if it's only one match and on that level you don't want to run into a bad MU but top-tiers (except for Wario, Wolf and maybe Fox) are all bad MUs for her.
Ven might seem like he's struggling, because he's playing with the big boys now. Most of his losses were top 10 PGR members, and he didn't have much experience playing at that level. People who you play with frequently will know your playstyle very well and can better counter you. Javi is MKLeo's brother and would go even with him in 4, but never cracked the international level like Leo did. Given how stacked Vegas is, it's not out of the ordinary for Ven to lose or struggle. The fact that he can remain consistently at the top, is a testament to how good he and Zelda is.

Here's his match with Salem at CEO. If it wasn't for that massive pile of spaghetti at the end, he would have easily had that. That's much better than their match at SNS. And as Ven improves as a player, Zelda will improve as a character. She is not at all fully optimized yet, and still has room to grow. There's no need to be pessimistic at this stage of the meta.

Little Mac, King K. Rool, Kirby, Isabelle, Ganondorf, Jigglypuff, Bowser Jr., Mii Brawler/Gunner/Swordfighter (potentially, hard to tell with the Miis), Ridley, Incineroar, Ice Climbers (potentially, hard to tell with the climbers), Piranha Plant, Donkey Kong, Corrin, Zelda, Dr. Mario, Samus/Dark Samus, Belmonts, Bayonetta, Robin (potentially, some have high hopes for her), King Dedede, maybe Diddy Kong. That's... 24 characters (not counting echoes), who are all weaker than Wii Fit Trainer, Lucas, Mewtwo, and Villager, based on what I've seen.
Can you elaborate on that? As far as I know, most of those characters you listed as weaker have better results, and I don't see how, Wii Fit Trainer, Lucas, and Mewtwo do better in theory craft. Not saying they're bad characters, but Zelda, Robin, Samus, Belmonts, Ice Climbers, and a few others have better results and/or theory craft.

Lacrimosa

Smash Lord

I believe that tier lists should determine solo viability and not counter-pick strength. Ganondorf may be a decent counter-pick character, but as a solomain his bad MUs against several top tiers (he probably goes -2 versus Lucina too) are devastating.
Not trying to nitpick, but this particular pick seems a bit weird? I think you base this off of Wadi's performance but even then there are Zelda players that could contest Wadi's ROB if needed to (don't say they will win in the end but still).

S StoicPhantom Yeah, that may be true but it seems that also Mystearica is playing with the thought of dropping her. At least when I check his Twitter although his Twitter is more often a bit enigma than something else. Don't get me wrong, I know he has results but it seems that more and more once dedicated Zelda players are playing with the thought of dropping her for another character and that's not really a development I'd like to see for her. Yes, there's Ven (and he's probably never dropping her after everything he's been through in Sm4sh with her) but only one player isn't that good even if he's able to compete with the big boys.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Robin is definitely not a low tier. That character was mid tier at worst in 4, and has gotten substantial buffs in Ultimate, including and especially jump squat changes. They might have lost throw combos, stupidly powerful projectiles(Tomes), and had some very questionable changes to the Levin mechanic, but nearly every other move has gotten tweaked to actually work properly. The engine makes trapping much easier, while shields and off stage being worse, makes the new Arcthunder and Levin Nair potent trapping tools. Upper mid tier at worst, leaning towards high tier IMO.

Ven might seem like he's struggling, because he's playing with the big boys now. Most of his losses were top 10 PGR members, and he didn't have much experience playing at that level. People who you play with frequently will know your playstyle very well and can better counter you. Javi is MKLeo's brother and would go even with him in 4, but never cracked the international level like Leo did. Given how stacked Vegas is, it's not out of the ordinary for Ven to lose or struggle. The fact that he can remain consistently at the top, is a testament to how good he and Zelda is.

Here's his match with Salem at CEO. If it wasn't for that massive pile of spaghetti at the end, he would have easily had that. That's much better than their match at SNS. And as Ven improves as a player, Zelda will improve as a character. She is not at all fully optimized yet, and still has room to grow. There's no need to be pessimistic at this stage of the meta.

Can you elaborate on that? As far as I know, most of those characters you listed as weaker have better results, and I don't see how, Wii Fit Trainer, Lucas, and Mewtwo do better in theory craft. Not saying they're bad characters, but Zelda, Robin, Samus, Belmonts, Ice Climbers, and a few others have better results and/or theory craft.
Nah, Robin's legitimately awful and in fact I'd argue he's just as bad, if not worse in Ultimate compared to 4.

His disjoint is terrible on all his bronze attacks, he lacks any fast grounded kill options, his primary zoning tool, arcfire is slow, laggy, and gets beaten out by any hitbox and/or projectile including non-disjoints, his charged thunders are slow and telegraphed, his aerials don't come out consistently with levin when using tilt stick, his incredibly slow ground and air speed make him unthreatening, Robin doesn't even start with his levin sword at match start, Nosferatu is still an utterly useless command grab on a character that really doesn't want it, his jab infinite is still inconsistent and locks him in it forever...

and on top of all that, the durability system also has a habit of nerfing Robin at random points in the match where he really needs to rely on what little tools he does have, including his most potent killing aerials, his only means of zoning, and even his recovery.

Robin fails as both a projectile zoner and a disjoint spacer and I think without some major buffs he's going to fall further.

Last edited:

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Robin's pretty clearly a low tier at this point. A somewhat popular one, but that doesn't prevent him from being low tier. Almost every character in the game has had a top 8 showing of some significance, low tier is not as far from viable as it used to mean in Smash. But end of the day there has to be both low tier and bottom tier characters when looking at the full roster despite... almost every single character accept to be low/bottom tier arguing that they're "upper mid tier at worst, possibly high tier" (seriously, I've even seen that claimed for both Ice Climbers and Kirby. It gets silly).

Robin is quite clearly in low tier. He can wrack up the damage in the right situations for sure, and he can ledge trap well, but he still has the issues of having some awkward moves, projectiles that aren't quite good enough in a variety of situations, and sub-par mobility. Not starting out with Levin is not a minor issue: its a huge issue for him. Frankly game breaking. He quite literally starts off behind compared to almost every other character because his Bronze Sword is just so horrible by comparison. Its like waiting on a Limit Break or Persona to generate, except you can't make it charge faster. Its the worst timer mechanic for a character in this game.

He lost a lot between 4 and Ultimate, and what he gained between mechanic changes or direct buffs wasn't enough.

KirbySquad101

Smash Ace
I don't think I can consider :ulticeclimbers: to be worse than :ultwiifittrainer: :ultlucas: :ultvillager:, or :ultmewtwo: given that Big D just won Pinnacle 2019 with them, a fairly stacked tournament all things considered (to give you an idea, Pandarian, Locus, Lemmon, Captain L, and Strike were all there).

Last edited:

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion
I'm not saying they are good characters but I don't think they're bottom 20. Out of those three, I think Lucas is likely the best. He's not a secret high tier or anything but could be in the top 40 or possibly even top 30 range. The character's combo game got nerfed, sure, but he gained a lot of other stuff and he's fairly okay with most of the top tiers (which I think is very important for solo viability). I don't think he's bottom 20.

Mewtwo is an interesting case, he was likely a top tier in Smash 4 and got nerfed significantly, but he still has many of his old strengths, although his weaknesses (especially his tail hurtbox) are more significant now. Even then, I think his strengths are enough to keep him from being a bottom 20 character.

Wii Fit Trainer is a character that got massively buffed from 4, and I used to think she could be high-mid tier. For the time being I'm placing her a bit lower than that, but not bottom 20. Unfortunately for her she's a fairly weird character so not many top players are interested in playing her. Her kit seems to work though and she's not too far away from being a really good character, in my opinion. Solid projectiles, not terrible recovery, decent kill options (jab is a kill confirm), great down-B. She does lose to top tiers though, perhaps especially Pikachu.

I don't think Zelda is that good, I could be wrong but she seems underwhelming. She's better than in 4 though. Maybe some of my prior-Smash game bias is affecting my view on her, she's clearly the best Zelda ever, but she's still fundamentally Zelda, isn't she?

I've seen Robin players being optimistic and thinking that she's borderline high tier, I'm not convinced yet but I don't think she's terrible. Possibly still bottom 25 though, perhaps a little higher.

Samus is tricky, I'm not too optimistic since she seems more one-sided compared to Smash 4, I might be wrong though. Also Fox and Wolf seem problematic for her.

I used to be optimistic for the Belmonts, and perhaps I'm underestimating then putting them in bottom 25, but I think some of their top tier MUs are really, really bad, such as Pichu and Pikachu.

Many think the Ice Climbers are really bad (even bottom 10), I'm on the fence, time will tell, I suppose.

Not trying to nitpick, but this particular pick seems a bit weird?
You don't think Zelda is bottom 20?

Rizen

Smash Legend
Who does :ultike: lose to? I need to pick up a secondary for him and I heard Link doesn't do very well.

:ultyounglink: vs :ultike: is a bad MU. Ike's big slow sword is really good at canceling projectiles. Ike's normal grab and jab out-box YL on the ground and his confirms kill YL significantly earlier than the other way around. YL gets walled by his sword hard.

Lacrimosa

Smash Lord
You don't think Zelda is bottom 20?
No and that by a long shot.
Or do you think a player would get good placings with her that consistently? Granted, only one player but it's something. Similar to Luigi or G&W that have somewhat similar results.
Let's see.
:ultisabelle: :ultlittlemac::ultjigglypuff::ultmewtwo::ultkrool::ultganondorf::ultkirby::ultpiranha::ultvillager::ultsheik:(why is everyone so hyped about her; not even VoiD is that good with her):ultdoc::ultrobinf::ultridley::ultmetaknight::ultlucas::ultbowserjr::ultbayonetta::ultwiifittrainer::ultbrawler::ultgunner::ultcorrinf::ultkingdedede::ultdk::ultpit: (no order, echos included)

Like, such a list seems weird at first (it's just characters with no explanations) but are these character actually better than her in terms of "potential" and also results? I don't have the Orion Stats (still, a flawed system) in my head but I think most/all(?) characters here are below her. Yes, thr Plant has gotten some results lately but those were only two tournaments while Zelda placed well at Prime Saga, Pound, SnS5 and CEO.
Now, do I think she's top-tier or attendee for high-tier? Top-tier most definitely not but high-tier could very well be. But I think she's sporting a solid mid-tier spot for now. Buff her grab speed and her nAir and most importantly her fSmash (it's sickening when the opponent falls out and land behind Zelda). Those would be pretty important and I really don't get why her multi-hits weren't fixed last patch which was fixing multi-hit moves :/.

Last edited:

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion
Who does :ultike: lose to? I need to pick up a secondary for him and I heard Link doesn't do very well.
Most top tiers.

https://twitter.com/Mkleosb/status/1093782648592359424
https://twitter.com/RangoSSB/status/1145814399300583424
https://twitter.com/trueRyuga/status/1103440483123167232

Or do you think a player would get good placings with her that consistently? Granted, only one player but it's something.
Has ven made a Zelda matchup chart?

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord
Speaking of I can imagine :ultjoker: being tough for Ike. Yeah Ike's big sword outranges arseneless Joker's little dagger. But Joker can easilty tack up damge on Ike though his tricky mobility and gun special shenainigans. Joker drag-down upair combos are also pretty ffective on Ike.
Plus, many of Ike's normals are RG bait to fill up Arsene, and then Joker can be a nightmare for Ike one it does come out. He can edgeguard Ike's recovery with down-b easy and just wreck him offstage regardless

Last edited:

StoicPhantom

Smash Ace
S StoicPhantom Yeah, that may be true but it seems that also Mystearica is playing with the thought of dropping her. At least when I check his Twitter although his Twitter is more often a bit enigma than something else. Don't get me wrong, I know he has results but it seems that more and more once dedicated Zelda players are playing with the thought of dropping her for another character and that's not really a development I'd like to see for her. Yes, there's Ven (and he's probably never dropping her after everything he's been through in Sm4sh with her) but only one player isn't that good even if he's able to compete with the big boys.
I don't want to speak for Mystearica, but I feel like Mystearica is more of a Bayo main than a Zelda one, similar to how I'm more of a Zelda main than a Robin one, despite dropping Zelda for Robin in 4. It tends to eat away at you, when you drop or pick up a character for viability reasons, because it doesn't just feel as good or "right". I doubt Mystearica will drop Zelda unless Bayo gets better, or at least won't be happy about it .

You are indeed correct about it not being good to put the entire Zelda base's expectations on one player. I don't feel like Zelda is a character that is attractive on a fundamental level however, so I don't believe we're going to get more representation. We'll just have to see what pops up in the coming months, we might possibly get someone new that's near the level of Ven and Mystearica.

His disjoint is terrible on all his bronze attacks,
It's not great, but it's not terrible either. They can still be respectable even if Levin is superior.

he lacks any fast grounded kill options
Not true, Jab and Dsmash are good, Fsmash got a good speed boost and is pretty good for its ridiculous power. Not that it really matters when you have really good aerials and projectiles that can kill.

his primary zoning tool, arcfire is slow, laggy, and gets beaten out by any hitbox and/or projectile including non-disjoints,
Arcfire is not nor has ever been Robin's "primary zoning tool". It's used in advantage, that's why you don't see good Robins using it in neutral often.

his charged thunders are slow and telegraphed
On what planet is Elthunder "slow and telegraphed"? They took an already quick and powerful tool and made it faster and more difficult to see. Arcthunder has also got a good speed boost and does a tremendous amount of shield damage. You can pretty easily cover platforms and catch landings or force air dodges with it, as opposed to only being able to use it like a shotgun in 4.

his aerials don't come out consistently with levin when using tilt stick,
This doesn't have anything to do with viability, especially considering you can use the A+B smash setting to activate it.

his incredibly slow ground and air speed make him unthreatening
His ground speed is irrelevant and he absolutely does not have slow air speed.

Nosferatu is still an utterly useless command grab on a character that really doesn't want it,
Uh, no it really isn't. Having a kit that naturally conditions shields, leading into a command grab that heals Robin can not be called useless. Landing from behind while there is a significant damage gap between the players, will heal Robin to an extent that you can potentially turn entire matches around.

his jab infinite is still inconsistent and locks him in it forever...
It is far, far better than its Smash 4 equivalent. It is actually useful to use now, instead of only being viable on Sheik and Fox in 4.

and on top of all that, the durability system also has a habit of nerfing Robin at random points in the match where he really needs to rely on what little tools he does have, including his most potent killing aerials, his only means of zoning, and even his recovery.
You don't want Robin to have unlimited uses with these powerful tools. I can only imagine the havoc an unlimited Levin sword would create, especially with the new Nair. The discards can still be useful, like setting up for Bair, among other item play.

Robin fails as both a projectile zoner and a disjoint spacer and I think without some major buffs he's going to fall further.
Robin is perfectly fine as their own category, not the things others keep trying to shoehorn them into.

Robin's pretty clearly a low tier at this point. A somewhat popular one, but that doesn't prevent him from being low tier. Almost every character in the game has had a top 8 showing of some significance, low tier is not as far from viable as it used to mean in Smash. But end of the day there has to be both low tier and bottom tier characters when looking at the full roster despite... almost every single character accept to be low/bottom tier arguing that they're "upper mid tier at worst, possibly high tier" (seriously, I've even seen that claimed for both Ice Climbers and Kirby. It gets silly).
Based on...? Yes there needs to be a low tier, but why Robin specifically? As I stated above, Robin got substantial buffs in the transition. They didn't get any nerfs that were severe enough to drop them entire tiers. Robin wasn't regarded highly in 4, but I'm puzzled as to why they are being it in low/bottom tier with the likes of Mac. I'm not seeing any strong rationale, just the usual misunderstandings of how they play, that plagued them in 4.

Robin is quite clearly in low tier. He can wrack up the damage in the right situations for sure, and he can ledge trap well, but he still has the issues of having some awkward moves, projectiles that aren't quite good enough in a variety of situations, and sub-par mobility.
That fits certain high tiers like Rob almost to a tee, yet I don't see anyone disputing their status. And what does "projectiles that aren't quite good enough in a variety of situations" that I keep seeing mean? Most characters don't have projectiles that cover a lot of situations. My character has a projectile that is widely considered good, and I admit it still lacks the versatility of Robin's and can be too general. Yes Robin's projectiles won't cook and clean for you, but being able to do everything from space and harass, to gimp and kill is pretty good in my book. Combine that with the ridiculousness of the Levin Sword, and you have a kit that can setup each other, rack some pretty ridiculous damage, and kill from just about anywhere. The whole point of Robin, is that they're a strategist and the sky's the limit, and Ultimate Robin actually achieved that.

It feels to me like Robin's tools are being severely underestimated. Levin is better than the average sword, the speed of Elthunder and Arcthunder make for easy edgeguards and invalidate high recoveries. Arcfire is a good combo tool, and is what is responsible for those 80%+ combos you see Robin get sometimes.

I just don't see how someone with such good tools could be considered low tier. The cool down on spent Tomes/Swords isn't that significant, Levin having a timer at the start isn't good, but isn't the end of the world either. Mobility isn't an issue so long as you properly manage your resources. That's why I'm asking, I don't understand the rationale.

I don't think Zelda is that good, I could be wrong but she seems underwhelming. She's better than in 4 though. Maybe some of my prior-Smash game bias is affecting my view on her, she's clearly the best Zelda ever, but she's still fundamentally Zelda, isn't she?
She got a special completely redesigned to the point that people have been complaining about it since day 1. A lot of her moves have also received startup buffs that actually put them on the map, instead being very situational like before. Lightning Kicks for instance have a startup as fast as some Jabs, while having power on par with Ganon Fsmash. Significantly enough that it could bump her up several tiers.

And IIRC, Zelda has placed top 64, sometimes top 32, in every super major after Genesis, by multiple players. I think that warrants her being better than the characters you mentioned for now.

I've seen Robin players being optimistic and thinking that she's borderline high tier, I'm not convinced yet but I don't think she's terrible. Possibly still bottom 25 though, perhaps a little higher.
Robin's one of those characters you have to main, in order to really understand. I mained Robin in 4, so I know how they feel.

I don't know enough about the other characters to really say whether I feel you're right or wrong, I was just going purely on results. Thanks for elaborating.

most importantly her fSmash (it's sickening when the opponent falls out and land behind Zelda).
Been thinking it might be better to use F-Tilt in those situations. It isn't that much weaker and is a single hit. Will of course be more difficult to angle, but will be better than small characters constantly falling out of Fsmash.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548

Robin is quite clearly in low tier. He can wrack up the damage in the right situations for sure, and he can ledge trap well, but he still has the issues of having some awkward moves, projectiles that aren't quite good enough in a variety of situations, and sub-par mobility. Not starting out with Levin is not a minor issue: its a huge issue for him. Frankly game breaking. He quite literally starts off behind compared to almost every other character because his Bronze Sword is just so horrible by comparison. Its like waiting on a Limit Break or Persona to generate, except you can't make it charge faster. Its the worst timer mechanic for a character in this game.

He lost a lot between 4 and Ultimate, and what he gained between mechanic changes or direct buffs wasn't enough.
Actually, spamming aerials and bronze smashes recharges the Levin Sword faster, as does everything on cooldown when you score a KO.

KirbySquad101

Smash Ace
Or do you think a player would get good placings with her that consistently? Granted, only one player but it's something. Similar to Luigi or G&W that have somewhat similar results.
Let's see.
:ultisabelle: :ultlittlemac::ultjigglypuff::ultmewtwo::ultkrool::ultganondorf::ultkirby::ultpiranha::ultvillager::ultsheik:(why is everyone so hyped about her; not even VoiD is that good with her):ultdoc::ultrobinf::ultridley::ultmetaknight::ultlucas::ultbowserjr::ultbayonetta::ultwiifittrainer::ultbrawler::ultgunner::ultcorrinf::ultkingdedede::ultdk::ultpit: (no order, echos included)

Like, such a list seems weird at first (it's just characters with no explanations) but are these character actually better than her in terms of "potential" and also results? I don't have the Orion Stats (still, a flawed system) in my head but I think most/all(?) characters here are below her. Yes, thr Plant has gotten some results lately but those were only two tournaments while Zelda placed well at Prime Saga, Pound, SnS5 and CEO.
Now, do I think she's top-tier or attendee for high-tier? Top-tier most definitely not but high-tier could very well be. But I think she's sporting a solid mid-tier spot for now. Buff her grab speed and her nAir and most importantly her fSmash (it's sickening when the opponent falls out and land behind Zelda). Those would be pretty important and I really don't get why her multi-hits weren't fixed last patch which was fixing multi-hit moves :/.
This list looks mostly accurate, but the only one I would disagree on being worse is :ultkingdedede:. ZAKI has done consistently well with him overall, placing 25th at worst at super regionals and nationals both (placed 25th at 2GG Prime Saga and Umembura Japan Major 2019, 3rd at KVOxTSB2019, and 13th at Sumabato SP5).

He is ranked #31 on OrionStats currently, which is pretty decent overall.

PK Bash

Smash Apprentice
I'm not saying they are good characters but I don't think they're bottom 20. Out of those three, I think Lucas is likely the best. He's not a secret high tier or anything but could be in the top 40 or possibly even top 30 range. The character's combo game got nerfed, sure, but he gained a lot of other stuff and he's fairly okay with most of the top tiers (which I think is very important for solo viability). I don't think he's bottom 20.
Lucas has bigger problems than his lack of a combo game although that is a serious problem he has - getting nothing off his hits. That's kind of devastating in and of itself but it does get worse.

Pokes: they were really good in S4 but not so much here. ZAir was gutted pretty bad, Dtilt doesn't do anything any more and you get punished for it on hit, PK Fire is still a decent move but worse in this engine and suffers from jumping/airdodging being way less of a commitment. In fact while I'm talking about it, he can struggle a bit to deal with jumps and that is REALLY not a problem you want to have in Smash Ultimate. Ftilt is still alright and forward air is still alright so he does still have those.

Recovery: he lost airdodge > ZAir which was his best method of recovery in the last game. He's pretty vulnerable when recovering in this game, due to being a slow faller with a weird double jump that takes a few frames to actually get any height, and his PKT2 being pretty slow (although can be troublesome to challenge for a few characters to be fair. Most top tiers though can intercept it: Wolf DSmash, Palu has a lot of options, etc.).

Advantage state: has been alluded to, but there's nothing here. Up air can situationally put in work with combos and juggling, which is interesting when you think about how horizontally this character operates.

Shields: what does he do. Grab is pretty bad. You can't Young Link it by pressuring a shield with your projectiles and then covering the oos options either. Forward Air is probably the best pressure tool and synergises with crossup NAir pretty well so I guess that's the strat there?

Killing: this might just be a me problem. The kill power is there, but actually hitting people with it is kind of hard. No real set ups or anything so you just gotta guess a lot more than is consistently reliable with risky options unless you can get a FAir near the blastzone or intercept with DSmash.

He has some cool stuff, like spotdodge into jab as an oos option, but the whole package is pretty naff and his tools are, by and large, outclassed by most other characters. Most notably Palutena, who operates in a similar way and with a very similar kit but with less weaknesses in the broad gameplan and more options in more situations.

I think of the matchups I'm sort of familiar with, the top tiers **** him up, not gonna lie. He's got nothing to restrict anything Wolf or Inkling want to do, for example. They can play their game fine whilst Lucas has to bend over backwards to hit them.
I know someone's thinking it and yes, I do know he can absorb Blaster/Ink. In practice, it makes very little difference.

Don't want to compare him to WFT or M2 because I don't really know anything about them.

$.A.F.

Smash Journeyman
Let's see.

How in the heck is D3 there? He’s 17 spots above Zelda on the Orion stats and has consistently good placings

Lacrimosa

Smash Lord
This list looks mostly accurate, but the only one I would disagree on being worse is :ultkingdedede:. ZAKI has done consistently well with him overall, placing 25th at worst at super regionals and nationals both (placed 25th at 2GG Prime Saga and Umembura Japan Major 2019, 3rd at KVOxTSB2019, and 13th at Sumabato SP5).

He is ranked #31 on OrionStats currently, which is pretty decent overall.
Yeah, probably the only outlier here. Was thinking if I should include him or not but maybe I shouldn't have mentioned him, just like I did with the Samus (who has good results with quiK and YB).
But honestly, after that, the characters are getting much closer to each other and they can all compete against each other. Don't think any of the non-mentioned characters is that much behind the top 5 (including the best princess Zelda), and that's still more than half of the cast.

That's very impressive for such a large roster.

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion
No real set ups or anything so you just gotta guess a lot more than is consistently reliable with risky options unless you can get a FAir near the blastzone or intercept with DSmash.
Down-tilt to f-smash seems pretty consistent to me. Lucas doesn't seem to have problems killing from my experience, he has three killthrows and several moves that kill aside from them.

Nah

Smash Champion
tbh idk why people are still optimistic about Robin. It's ok to admit the character you/we main isn't and will likely never be a high tier y'know.

also Nos is sexy af

Not true, Jab and Dsmash are good, Fsmash got a good speed boost and is pretty good for its ridiculous power.

On what planet is Elthunder "slow and telegraphed"? They took an already quick and powerful tool and made it faster and more difficult to see.
Jab is fast yes, but the real issue is that neither of Robin's jabs are safe.

Thunder spells are slow and telegraphed because they take 15 frames (this is only 3 frames faster than before) to appear, you can tell what charge Robin has because of the color the tome glows when charging, and she even shouts the name of the spell half the time. They don't seem to move any faster or are any harder to see to me either.

Fsmash is also not any faster than it used to be, the frame data is identical to what it was before. Like, frame data is readily available for Smash 4 and Smash Ultimate so I don't know where you're coming from with that one:
http://kuroganehammer.com/Smash4/Robin
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...uuzIH2DB4iQHVrqiG8VRbRA7Q/edit#gid=1726895111

This doesn't have anything to do with viability, especially considering you can use the A+B smash setting to activate it.
A+B smash sucks

His ground speed is irrelevant
in what world is mobility not relevant lol

Last edited:

StoicPhantom

Smash Ace
tbh idk why people are still optimistic about Robin. It's ok to admit the character you/we main isn't and will likely never be a high tier y'know.
If this is directed at me, I said I was leaning towards high tier, not that Robin is definitively high tier. My main contention was Robin being considered low tier.

Jab is fast yes, but the real issue is that neither of Robin's jabs are safe.
Not safe in what way? Do you mean on whiff or shield? Are there any Jabs like that?

Thunder spells are slow and telegraphed because they take 15 frames (this is only 3 frames faster than before) to appear, you can tell what charge Robin has because of the color the tome glows when charging, and she even shouts the name of the spell half the time. They don't seem to move any faster or are any harder to see to me either.
Do you mean in startup? I don't see an issue with anything outside of Thoron. They seem like perfectly normal projectiles in those terms. It might be placebo, but it felt like Elthunder moved faster than in 4, although admittedly it's been a while.

Fsmash is also not any faster than it used to be, the frame data is identical to what it was before. Like, frame data is readily available for Smash 4 and Smash Ultimate so I don't know where you're coming from with that one:
That's my bad. I got it stuck in my head that it was faster and didn't check before posting.

A+B smash sucks
Aight, but that still doesn't affect in game viability.

in what world is mobility not relevant lol
In the world where you have tools to work around that? My character is also pegged as having low mobility, but has had no problem cracking top 32/64 at major events. Not everything needs to go fast in order to be successful. Just look at Ivysaur or Olimar.

Nah

Smash Champion
Not safe in what way? Do you mean on whiff or shield? Are there any Jabs like that?
Both on whiff and on shield, although moreso on shield. Both fire jab and wind jab are roughly -25 on shield. Wind jab is the one that's more unsafe on whiff. And yeah, there's some jabs that are safe (though there's a lot that aren't for whatever reason).

Do you mean in startup? I don't see an issue with anything outside of Thoron. They seem like perfectly normal projectiles in those terms. It might be placebo, but it felt like Elthunder moved faster than in 4, although admittedly it's been a while.
I was talking about startup yeah. I can't say that I remember the startup for most/all (or, uh, even that many really) of the projectiles in this game, but frame 15 (slower for Thoron) doesn't really strike me as "fast".

In the world where you have tools to work around that? My character is also pegged as having low mobility, but has had no problem cracking top 32/64 at major events. Not everything needs to go fast in order to be successful. Just look at Ivysaur or Olimar.
Few characters really ever have the tools to overcome their poor mobility. If you look at the common thoughts for who's good and who's bad in this game and the previous one, you'll notice a trend: characters with above average or better mobility tend to be in the upper half of the cast, while characters with below average mobility or worse tend to be in the lower half of the cast. It's not a perfect indicator of viability obviously, there are exceptions of course, but that's also the thing--they're exceptions/outliers, not the norm. And I don't think that Robin's strengths really overcome their issues. Faster is always better really.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
It's true, a character can be successful despite their weaknesses if they have the tools to work around them. That doesn't make those weaknesses irrelevant.

I can't speak for Olimar but as an Ivysaur player I constantly find myself in situations where I have my back to the ledge or in a juggle situation that I don't have the mobility or frame data to burst my way out of. Sometimes I'll find myself against an opponent character who doesn't mind razor leaf camping and forces me to play more carefully - in worst case scenerios I'm the one forced to awkwardly approach with Ivy's underwhelming speed.

I don't know the ins and outs of Robin so I can't say how it works out for him, but if your character has a weakness its important to just admit it's there rather then brush it under the rug.

StoicPhantom

Smash Ace
Both on whiff and on shield, although moreso on shield. Both fire jab and wind jab are roughly -25 on shield. Wind jab is the one that's more unsafe on whiff. And yeah, there's some jabs that are safe (though there's a lot that aren't for whatever reason).
Well I can't say I'm used to the idea of Jabs being safe on shield (outside of some Jab 1s I guess) or poking options. As someone who mains a character that has few safe moves, I'm in the habit of not striking unless I'm sure I'm going to hit or be safe, so I can't say I feel like this is a minus in terms of Jab being a kill option.

I was talking about startup yeah. I can't say that I remember the startup for most/all (or, uh, even that many really) of the projectiles in this game, but frame 15 (slower for Thoron) doesn't really strike me as "fast".
For reference that's about as fast as Charge 1 of Zelda's Phantom, and I've seen very few ever avoid that on reaction, and I'm not entirely sure they did it on purpose. You can avoid it at a distance, but it will force them to move or burn a resource. Although, according to the resource you linked, they're frame 8 without the initial charge? So if you have one already charged, that's pretty good for how powerful Elthunder is.

Few characters really ever have the tools to overcome their poor mobility. If you look at the common thoughts for who's good and who's bad in this game and the previous one, you'll notice a trend: characters with above average or better mobility tend to be in the upper half of the cast, while characters with below average mobility or worse tend to be in the lower half of the cast. It's not a perfect indicator of viability obviously, there are exceptions of course, but that's also the thing--they're exceptions/outliers, not the norm. And I don't think that Robin's strengths really overcome their issues. Faster is always better really.
Sure, but you could say that is because fast characters are easier to conceptualize and understand, and are just more appealing, leading to more people to play and develop them. Duck Hunt and Villager were considered bad in 4, until Ranai and Raito came and bodied everyone. Some archetypes are just harder to understand and thus won't be as developed or regarded as they could be. I can't think of a zoner or projectile based character that had a top level player put a substantial amount of time developing its meta, and not do well. Villager, Megaman, Duck Hunt, and Olimar were all considered bad in 4, until Raito, Ranai, Kameme, and Dabuz came along and developed their meta. I'm sure you can replicate this with a lot of zoners in other Smash games. Fast characters are always immediately considered viable, but it seems to always take a while for the zoners to catch up(barring incredibly obvious cases like pre patch Ultimate Olimar).

It's true, a character can be successful despite their weaknesses if they have the tools to work around them. That doesn't make those weaknesses irrelevant.

I can't speak for Olimar but as an Ivysaur player I constantly find myself in situations where I have my back to the ledge or in a juggle situation that I don't have the mobility or frame data to burst my way out of. Sometimes I'll find myself against an opponent character who doesn't mind razor leaf camping and forces me to play more carefully - in worst case scenerios I'm the one forced to awkwardly approach with Ivy's underwhelming speed.

I don't know the ins and outs of Robin so I can't say how it works out for him, but if your character has a weakness its important to just admit it's there rather then brush it under the rug.
When I say irrelevant, I mean it isn't integral to their game plan. People go on about Zelda's mobility, but her kit isn't suited for approach or chasing in the first place, instead she forces the opponent to do those things and punishes that way. It doesn't matter if she has slow run or air speed, her play style doesn't incorporate them in the first place. She has other ways of getting out of disadvantage or pressing the advantage.

Ganondorf on the other hand, doesn't have projectiles or any way to force an approach. His kit revolves around being up close, outside of a couple specials, that aren't safe on whiff. That's where his mobility can be considered a weakness, since it will hamper his game plan. Robin and Zelda have ways to force or cover approaches and camping isn't a viable strategy against them. Nayru's Love is good at combo breaking and stuffing blitzes, Levin Sword and Thunder is also good for fending off pressure and Robin's air and jump speed is respectable. They don't need good run speed and it's not integral to their game plan, so I don't really consider it a relevant weakness.

Lacrimosa

Smash Lord
If you can keep your opponent out and you have good OoS option then run speed isn't as crucial as to someone like Roy. Imagine a slow Roy, that character would be awful. Imagine a fast Zelda and that character would be busted as hell.. Yet she's ok like she is which is part of her balancing. Same probably goes for Robin and especially for Olimar. You can't really rush Zelda or Olimar down because both have combo-breakers in Whistle and Nayru which hurts combo-heavy characters like Pikachu/Pichu actually quite a bit but especially Pikachu has other stuff.
However, someone like Ganon has huge trouble because he doesn't really have good approach option. SideB isn't that good once you're accustomed to that move. He still hits like a truck which is his saving grace.
Not sure what Robin has to break out of disadvantage.

It, of course, is a flaw, but one has to see why a character is slow on the ground. Zelda's air speed is actually really average at around 30th place, tied with Pac-Man. But then you give the character to compensate for this: Pikmin, Phantom/Nayru, Thunder or a Doriyah. Slow speed should be brought up but a character shouldn't be reduced to only their speed and I get the feeling quite often because faster characters are just more appealing in general.

Last edited:

StoicPhantom

Smash Ace
On further thought, I'd like to tackle the mobility discussion from a different angle, with the question "Would Zelda and Robin benefit from slapping ZSS and Fox tier mobility on them"?

Zelda's issues are having moves that are very risky and precise. She has pretty quick startup, but her endlag is massive. Her hitboxs are small and ill suited for covering multiple options at once. If we were to try to put ZSS tier mobility on her, would that really solve these problems? Would that not make it easier to overshoot, thus making her whiff more? How often do even the likes of Marrs and Light overshoot? How often do they get punished for it? If we slapped Zelda tier endlag on those characters, how much more would they get punished?

Even if you put ZSS tier mobility on Zelda, it won't solve the fundamental issue of her kit being ill suited for approach and might actually hurt things, making it easy to overshoot. Slapping extreme speed on a precision based character only works if the endlag is minimal. It would be a disaster otherwise. Having that kind of mobility doesn't change the fact Zelda lacks good landing options.

Robin's issues stem from a lack of ground get of me tools, making it easy for characters to rush them down. Robin's moves also have limited uses making them unable to be spammed. Even putting Fox tier mobility on Robin, wouldn't change the fact that Robin needs to be careful about remaining uses. Having that kind of mobility would only put them on par with other characters, they still lack any good tools to escape easily, without relying on limited use moves. There is only so much space you have to work with after all, and that applies to Fox and ZSS as well.

It would also be silly to have half your kit be ranged moves, when you're zipping around the stage. Even top tier zoners like Snake, still have below average mobility relative to the other top tiers.

I feel like people hold mobility as some magic bullet that will solve all a characters problems, without considering their kit and character philosophy. It's important to remember that strengths and weaknesses were programmed by the dev team, so they know all the various issues a character has and generally design kits around that. While there are X factors outside their considerations, and it's not as cut and dry as that, they're not going to let anything egregious go by, outside of certain exceptions, Zelda ironically being one of those. They did eventually fix her, and in a way that actually integrates with her kit and design.

You could say that they should just buff their frame data and/or hitbox size, but you would need to nerf damage/power and/or range to balance, turning them into Mario and Lucina/Link clones. Which I guess is what a lot of people seem to want, but do we really want to remove arguably two of the most unique characters in the game, for more clones?

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
"Would Zelda and Robin benefit from slapping ZSS and Fox tier mobility on them"?
Would X character be better if you buffed y-trait"?

Yes. Yes they would. How much of a difference that buff would make is a different question.
Zelda's issues are having moves that are very risky and precise. She has pretty quick startup, but her endlag is massive. Her hitboxs are small and ill suited for covering multiple options at once. If we were to try to put ZSS tier mobility on her, would that really solve these problems? Would that not make it easier to overshoot, thus making her whiff more? How often do even the likes of Marrs and Light overshoot? How often do they get punished for it? If we slapped Zelda tier endlag on those characters, how much more would they get punished?
More speed would make it harder to undershoot.

Unless they're moving faster then even a competent player can control, I don't understand this idea that moving would somehow make your attacks harder to hit.
Having that kind of mobility doesn't change the fact Zelda lacks good landing options.
Being able to drift away from your opponent more easily makes it easier to land. It wouldn't fix that she has poor landing options but it would make landing easier.
It would also be silly to have half your kit be ranged moves, when you're zipping around the stage. Even top tier zoners like Snake, still have below average mobility relative to the other top tiers.
*:ultyounglink: and :ulttoonlink: cough awkwardly*

Archetype outliers aside, I sure am glad Snake has bad mobility. Imagine him being able to just rush in and U-tilt you from half way across the stage at any given moment! His dash attack is bad enough.
I feel like people hold mobility as some magic bullet that will solve all a characters problems, without considering their kit and character philosophy. It's important to remember that strengths and weaknesses were programmed by the dev team, so they know all the various issues a character has and generally design kits around that. While there are X factors outside their considerations, and it's not as cut and dry as that, they're not going to let anything egregious go by, outside of certain exceptions, Zelda ironically being one of those. They did eventually fix her, and in a way that actually integrates with her kit and design.
Well we agree here - Zelda and Robin were most certainly intentionally designed to have poor mobility. But intentionally designed or not, a weakness is still a weakness.

I'm not even trying to make a statement on their viability - I don't know enough about Ult Robin to make a statement about his viability and I think Zelda is at least okay. But poor mobility is a factor that does hurt their ability to punish, escape, or push advantage and limits their overall flexibility. There's no getting around that. The question is can they succeed despite that.

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord
ness and mario should be considered top tier i don't get how they aren't
:ultness: is an interesting case. He gets amazing resutls at locals and regionals thanks to the efforts of players like Awestin, FOW and BestNess. He has many amazing tools and options in theory, but he has not really gotten the a really big breakthrough in the A-S rank majors. Well S1 got top 8 at Albion 4 .

:ultmario: is Also a character with very solid results with players like Prodigy and Dark Wizzy . Who also do are able to hold thier own with the best.

Both I consider high tiers with a good amount of potential. Who do have a chance of going higher depening how future balance patches go. Then again..there was a time early in Smash 4's meta where :4ness: was considered like 10 right? Hmm

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
On further thought, I'd like to tackle the mobility discussion from a different angle, with the question "Would Zelda and Robin benefit from slapping ZSS and Fox tier mobility on them"?
Does a bear **** in the woods? They'd go up tiers just like :4bowser::4mewtwo: did. Better mobility would improve their advantage states by allowing better chasing down and disadvantages with better escapes. Zoners love mobility; it allows them to safely zone. Think how much better speed art Shulk is than no art Shulk.

Gleam

Smash Ace
:ultness: is pretty much held back by his recovery, which is fundamentally flawed in a similar way to Ganon. Meaning that it's very easy to just manipulate his recovery, or take it to the face and force Ness to die because of bad spacing. It's not as bad as Dark Dive but it still hinders Ness to a specific degree. If that wasn't the case, I do think Ness would be on his way as a Top Tier.

In this case, unlike Ganon, Ness hindrance is probably a good thing as it helps balance him out and even with it, still shows Ness to be a very good character.

Top Bottom