• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Competitive Character Impressions 2.0

?

• Total voters

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord
Pichu got nerfed in 3.0 and is not as strong as he used to be. At this point in time, it doesn't seem like Pichu really needs more nerfs.
The only changed Pichu got was lightly increased hurtboxes during certian attacks right. Does it really make that much of a difference?

I guess it can matter comsidering how quicky Pichu can die to stray hits

Edit: Ninja'd

Last edited:

KirbySquad101

Smash Ace
From what I gathered, they only changed his hurtbox to make it so that he doesn't randomly fall out of multi-hitting attacks anymore (a trait that Ganondorf oddly shared with him).

It's not really so much of a nerf as much as it is a general fix.

Last edited:

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion
They also changed his landing animation, which means that he won't avoid as many attacks just by landing.

A fix that nerfs a character is still a nerf.

boysilver400

Smash Apprentice

New tier list from VoiD. It's unfinished, but what are your thoughts? I honestly think this is kinda wack, With Ridley, Falcon, and maybe Sonic being too low, and Sheik way too damn high. Plus, he didn't mention Kirby or King K Rool when he mentioned who got buffed at the beginning of part one(and Kirby's were pretty significant imo, maybe not enough to get him out of low tier, but it's better than 2.0.0).

Last edited:

KirbySquad101

Smash Ace

New tier list from VoiD. It's unfinished, but what are your thoughts? I honestly think this is kinda wack, With Ridley, Falcon, and maybe Sonic being too low, and Sheik way too damn high. Plus, he didn't mention Kirby or King K Rool when he mentioned who got buffed at the beginning of part one(and Kirby's were pretty significant imo, maybe not enough to get him out of low tier, but it's better than 2.0.0).
I also noticed he did not bring up :ultkirby: being buffed at all, which is confusing especially considering his buffs are actually pretty big for him.

I imagine he's placing :ultfalcon: as a bottom 4 character likely as a result of Fatality's performance at Pound 2019. Which really doesn't make sense, because that placement doesn't negate the previous amount of success Fatality and NickC has had with him.

This also applies to :ultsonic:, while 6WX doesn't use him as often and Seagull dropped him, KEN is still an absolute beast with him in Japan.

Last edited:

SwagGuy99

Smash Ace
Olimar’s weaknesses are definitely there, he’s very light and floaty, and not particularly speedy.
His frame data is also pretty poor and which is problematic for :ultolimar: against characters who have very fast and powerful attacks like :ultpichu::ultpikachu::ultyoshi::ultluigi: and :ultdoc:.

I'm not saying those are winning matchups, but their frame data does pose a bit of a problem for :ultolimar:. It could be worse for :ultolimar: but since Pikmin are so disjointed and very few characters can outrange them, it's not really a huge problem.

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
His frame data is also pretty poor and which is problematic for :ultolimar: against characters who have very fast and powerful attacks like :ultpichu::ultpikachu::ultyoshi::ultluigi: and :ultdoc:.

I'm not saying those are winning matchups, but their frame data does pose a bit of a problem for :ultolimar:. It could be worse for :ultolimar: but since Pikmin are so disjointed and very few characters can outrange them, it's not really a huge problem.
I remember in Brawl that Luigi used to be decent vs Olimar due to Nair breaking Pikmin combos and tornado killing Pikmin easily while allowing an approach...I wonder if it still applies to this game? Tornado is a much weaker burst/approach option now so...idk...

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
I remember in Brawl that Luigi used to be decent vs Olimar due to Nair breaking Pikmin combos and tornado killing Pikmin easily while allowing an approach...I wonder if it still applies to this game? Tornado is a much weaker burst/approach option now so...idk...
Isn't tornado a better burst/approach option in this game because of the I-frames it has now?

Rizen

Smash Legend

This isn't true at all.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...uuzIH2DB4iQHVrqiG8VRbRA7Q/edit#gid=1928989993
He's got a f4 jab, 2 f6 tilts, all his smashes last <40 frames so they're hard to punish (Mario's Usmash FAF 39), and his aerials are f7-10. The only thing that's bad is his grab with is still one of the fastest tether grabs at f12. Then he has some of the fastest projectiles in the game with Pikmin pluck lasting 8 frames and toss lasting 24 (Wolf's blaster FAF 49f). Sword characters wish they had Olimar's frame data.

Last edited:

DelugeFGC

Smash Stick Space Cowboy
Switch FC
SW-2582-1162-1537
I don't really see how you could say that in good faith when:

-His damage output is undeniably problematic. By now everyone should be familiar with his easy 0-60+ strings, but even (purple) back air doing 17% fresh, with its speed, range and disjoint is ridiculous.
-His up smash is a joke. I don't think players should be able to get away with spamming it point blank on shield just because they have purple pikmin on deck.
-Small stature is a huge benefit in this game.
-His ability to keep people out by itself isn't a problem, but the fact that he can do so and find openings where he can bust out explosive damage makes him mentally exhausting to fight

The "my character takes mental involvement" has never been a particularly compelling argument, especially coming from someone who mains the character, but I don't see Snake being a character players can just "pick up" and dominate with. Keeping track of all his explosives and keeping the pressure on your opponent requires immense effort. That doesn't really change the problem with Snake and Olimar.

Also Olimar isn't well-rounded. Olimar is simply overtuned in several categories while having some exploitable areas (lightweight, recovery, pikmin).
I disagree. That's really I'll say. A lot of the **** people complain about on Olimar isn't that terrible to deal with if you play a decent character and know the MU.

The dude literally gets bodied by a few mid tier counterpicks, the Belmonts destroy him.. he is not some.. ugh. I'm not doing this, I have this argument enough at tournaments. And I know from experience this WILL turn into an argument if I continue.

Snake is a problem, that's all I'll say. Olimar is a top tier, a very good character, but calling him obnoxiously designed is just.. nah.

Last edited:

Omastar

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2638-1454-6031
I disagree. That's really I gotta say. A lot of the **** people complain about on Olimar isn't that terrible to deal with if you play a decent character and know the MU.

The dude literally gets bodied by a few mid tier counterpicks, the Belmonts destroy him.. he is not some.. ugh. I'm not doing this, I have this argument enough at tournaments.

Snake is a problem, that's all I'll say. Olimar is a top tier, a very good character, but calling him obnoxiously designed is just.. nah.
Overtuned tools is what wins you tournaments and guess what? Olimar has a lot of them, his insane tournament results clearly reflect that. Don't be Delugional

KirbySquad101

Smash Ace
Isn't tornado a better burst/approach option in this game because of the I-frames it has now?
It has iframes, but Luigi doesn't move anywhere now when using the attack - including horizontally. Coupled with its low range and copious amounts of endlag on the move, makes it generally unconventional as far as approach options go.

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
I recall Olimar getting talked about in the Prime Saga thread and specifically remember these posts since they showed videos too.

This is fine.

Edit: OH MY GOD!
That last match was wild, I didn't realize Olimar in the right hands could completely body someone. Also that clip of the edgeguarding is actually insane.
First clip is the one I find most noteworthy. Gets landing nair into red usmash into red sh uair then yellow uair then another red uair for 57.4%. Then he gets a yellow sh fair and a red side b resulting in 73.2%. In 10 seconds. With five moves, two of which were short hopped and uair was staled (let alone any potential prior staling)

Second clip, pivot grab on the ledge with 3 Pikmin I'm sure is good. Covers shielding which Zackray did and depending on the timing, I'm sure it could cover attacks and possibly even getup roll and be safe if they do get up jump. Purple Pikmin side b killing offstage with Lucina at 125% isn't surprising and if I'm not mistaken, if the Lucina fair had connected with the purple Pikmin then she would've been fine (unless you have to kill the Pikmin to remove their hitbox). After that, you have a moment on the top platform where the Olimar does a yellow usmash on shield and doesn't get punished (pretty sure with how people talk about this move that it's safe on shield) and then Olimar's jab clanks with Lucina's dtilt and the Lucina has to back away and fade in to land a fair since Olimar's jab is faster than any option she has. Not quite as noteworthy since shields are pretty bad without a parry and Olimar isn't unique in having a grounded option come out frame 4 or faster.

Last clip is really more of a showcase of Fox's issues than it is Olimar's strengths imo. Dtilt is able to 2 frame and lead into fair which puts Fox right back offstage. Dtilt ends fast enough and Firefox takes so long to start moving that if the dtilt whiffs, the Olimar is able to go offstage for a dair right after. The Fox wall techs all three dairs he gets hit by but still has to recover and is still taking damage for it. Gets back on stage once but ends up running into an fsmash that gets him right back offstage. Stock gets taken as the Olimar fsmashes (this is able to hit certain characters hanging on the ledge if I'm not mistaken) so the Fox jumps and gets killed by a yellow fair for it.

Not conclusive as I'm sure people could find videos where Olimar's get their weaknesses heavily exploited. Being without Pikmin and not being given the chance to land to pull out more or having a bad set up and having to focus on Pikmin setup to be able to kill when the right set up would have allowed it, getting edgeguarded since while Winged Pikmin has a lot of flexibility, Olimar can't throw out a hitbox without going into helpless and of course he can die early due to his light weight (but I mean, Pikachu, Fox, Meta Knight and Bayonetta were all lightweights along with numerous other top tiers across different games so I hardly consider light weight a huge flaw).

NairWizard

Somewhere
but I don't see Snake being a character players can just "pick up" and dominate with. Keeping track of all his explosives and keeping the pressure on your opponent requires immense effort.

This isn't true; it takes much more effort for the non-Snake to navigate all the explosives.

Snake enjoys more success at lower levels of play than at higher, not less.

Rocketjay8

Smash Journeyman
This isn't true; it takes much more effort for the non-Snake to navigate all the explosives.

The story of the majority of the technical characters in Smash.

Gearkeeper-8a

Smash Apprentice
olimar doesn't have insane tournament results, he is constant very important distinction, the only olimars that get top tier results with him is Myran, Dabuz, and shuton.

Wolf, fox and snake has more tournaments results.

Rizen

Smash Legend

I skipped to the ending. It's weird seeing K.Rool ahead of Ridley but that's the thing about heavyweights, or rather large characters, in general. Some people would put Ridley at the top of mid tier and as possibly the best large character. Some put him as the worst big character (bigs). It really depends on what your experiences are because bigs are extremely polarizing. They can wreck you or seem totally inept. This is why I include them all in mid tier. On a good day bigs seem like easy high tiers but on a bad day they seem like low tiers. Ganon and (less-so) Incineroar are the worst offenders. Ganon can die offstage at 80% and Usmash kill you at 80% or maybe lower. This is why tier list opinions on him vary so much. I'm still waiting for a great K.Rool player to come along but admit he's hardly getting any results.

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay
Void really thinks Piranha Plant is more viable than Falcon?

Just throw the whole list away tbhhhh

:150:

ligersandtigons

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ChromToTheDome
3DS FC
4656-6292-5830
Switch FC
SW-2244-3437-3034
for void's tier list, i don't think it's ordered within tiers

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
Olimar literally telegraphs what he's gonna do in any given moment, but the knowledge advantage tends to be with the Olimar player, who's going to be more familiar with the ranges and uses of each Pikmin.

Shulk is in a similar position.

SwagGuy99

Smash Ace
This isn't true at all.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...uuzIH2DB4iQHVrqiG8VRbRA7Q/edit#gid=1928989993
He's got a f4 jab, 2 f6 tilts, all his smashes last <40 frames so they're hard to punish (Mario's Usmash FAF 39), and his aerials are f7-10. The only thing that's bad is his grab with is still one of the fastest tether grabs at f12. Then he has some of the fastest projectiles in the game with Pikmin pluck lasting 8 frames and toss lasting 24 (Wolf's blaster FAF 49f). Sword characters wish they had Olimar's frame data.
Actually you seem to be right. His frame data seems pretty average to me which is better than most swordfighters in the game. I still think that he probably could struggle against characters with REALLY fast frame data a bit (Think :ultpichu:) but like I said before, he outranges most of the characters with faster frame data anyways so it's not too much of a problem for :ultolimar:, he just has to stay out of range.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
I skipped to the ending. It's weird seeing K.Rool ahead of Ridley but that's the thing about heavyweights, or rather large characters, in general. Some people would put Ridley at the top of mid tier and as possibly the best large character. Some put him as the worst big character (bigs). It really depends on what your experiences are because bigs are extremely polarizing. They can wreck you or seem totally inept. This is why I include them all in mid tier. On a good day bigs seem like easy high tiers but on a bad day they seem like low tiers. Ganon and (less-so) Incineroar are the worst offenders. Ganon can die offstage at 80% and Usmash kill you at 80% or maybe lower. This is why tier list opinions on him vary so much. I'm still waiting for a great K.Rool player to come along but admit he's hardly getting any results.
I've already talked about Ridley before and how people are sleeping on him, but it seems it's going to be his fate to be flip flopping in different tier lists from low tier to mid tier lol
I guess it will take a while until he finally settles in one spot that people agree on. His weight is problematic, but I still believe the rest of his toolkit is good enough to make him a viable mid tier.

DelugeFGC

Smash Stick Space Cowboy
Switch FC
SW-2582-1162-1537
Ridley isn't even an actual heavyweight though (believe he's a midweight?), he's a heavy without any of the benefits of actually being a heavy. He's just fairly slow and combo food.. with no real benefit. None of Ridley's disjoints are big / crazy enough to justify his size / weight ratio. He should be a lot heavier than he is, or he should be faster. As-is, he's in a bad limbo.

He doesn't hit like a heavyweight, either. Ridley has some good tools in his hit and some workable aerials and tilts, but his size does him no favors at his weight and speed. It really doesn't make a lot of sense how they done him, honestly. Combined with his fairly poor recovery, his weight / size ratio leaves him in quite a bad position by default.. a large, meh-speed character that dies fairly early.. and has literally nothing fantastic or even just plain great to compensate for this massive handicap.

Ridley is a plain old good character, not a great / fantastic character.. locked within the body / size of characters that tend to be fairly.. well, meh. This combination leaves him fairly low on most tier lists.

Last edited:

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
So Come to Papa 3 is going on, a super regional, pretty big, tournament in Florida. Here are the notable players (not in order of notability btw).

Plup:ultgreninja:
saj:ultdaisy::ultpeach:
Tachyon:ultpichu:
Morpheus:ultmegaman:
Rideae:ultpikachu:
UtopianRay:ultpalutena:
Phantom:ultpalutena:
MuteAce:ultpeach:
Sonido:ultsonic:
Blank:ultchrom:
Kamikaze:ultyoshi:
ZAKI:ultkingdedede:
Myran:ultolimar:
Samsora:ultpeach:
Fatality:ultfalcon::ultjoker:
Dath:ultrobinf:
8BitMan:ultrob:
Prince Ramen:ultpalutena:
dyr:ultjoker::ultinkling:
MVD:ultsnake:
Glare:ultbayonetta1:
ScAtt:ultmegaman:
Uncivil Ninja:ultshulk:
Purple Guy:ultzelda:
Goblin:ultroy:
Raito:ultduckhunt::ultinkling:
Ryo:ultike:

Ridley isn't even an actual heavyweight though (believe he's a midweight?), he's a heavy without any of the benefits of actually being a heavy. He's just fairly slow and combo food.. with no real benefit. None of Ridley's disjoints are big / crazy enough to justify his size / weight ratio. He should be a lot heavier than he is, or he should be faster. As-is, he's in a bad limbo.

He doesn't hit like a heavyweight, either. Ridley has some good tools in his hit and some workable aerials and tilts, but his size does him no favors at his weight and speed. It really doesn't make a lot of sense how they done him, honestly. Combined with his fairly poor recovery, his weight / size ratio leaves him in quite a bad position by default.. a large, meh-speed character that dies fairly early.. and has literally nothing fantastic or even just plain great to compensate for this massive handicap.

Ridley is a plain old good character, not a great / fantastic character.. locked within the body / size of characters that tend to be fairly.. well, meh. This combination leaves him fairly low on most tier lists.
He is tied with Wario, Ike, and the Belmonts for the 12-16th heaviest character in the game. While this is definitely not super heavy weight, it is nothing to scoff at.

Also, have you seen his n-air hitbox? He has some decent disjoints. He has some pretty great power behind him. While he doesn't hit as hard as the superheavies, he possesses some surprisingly good frame data and mobility (tied for the 9-10th fastest run speed in the game) for a character of his weight class.

Last edited:

DelugeFGC

Smash Stick Space Cowboy
Switch FC
SW-2582-1162-1537
So Come to Papa 3 is going on, a super regional, pretty big, tournament in Florida. Here are the notable players (not in order of notability btw).

Plup:ultgreninja:
saj:ultdaisy::ultpeach:
Tachyon:ultpichu:
Morpheus:ultmegaman:
Rideae:ultpikachu:
UtopianRay:ultpalutena:
Phantom:ultpalutena:
MuteAce:ultpeach:
Sonido:ultsonic:
Blank:ultchrom:
Kamikaze:ultyoshi:
ZAKI:ultkingdedede:
Myran:ultolimar:
Samsora:ultpeach:
Fatality:ultfalcon::ultjoker:
Dath:ultrobinf:
8BitMan:ultrob:
Prince Ramen:ultpalutena:
dyr:ultjoker::ultinkling:
MVD:ultsnake:
Glare:ultbayonetta1:
ScAtt:ultmegaman:
Uncivil Ninja:ultshulk:
Purple Guy:ultzelda:
Goblin:ultroy:
Raito:ultduckhunt::ultinkling:
Ryo:ultike:

He is tied with Wario, Ike, and the Belmonts for the 12-16th heaviest character in the game. While this is definitely not super heavy weight, it is nothing to scoff at.

Also, have you seen his n-air hitbox? He has some decent disjoints. He has some pretty great power behind him. While he doesn't hit as hard as the superheavies, he possesses some surprisingly good frame data and mobility (tied for the 9-10th fastest run speed in the game) for a character of his weight class.
I'm not saying he doesn't have good tools, I'm saying he has fairly decent tools.. locked into a weight and size that leaves him in a fairly poor position by default. If he had INSANE disjoints, kill power or zoning.. something like that? Different story. He doesn't. Ridley's good doesn't outweigh the bad, which hurts him.

When you have a character with a recovery that's barely better than Ganon's, while being a similar type of large combo food like Ganon.. compounded by the fact he isn't very fast, super powerful AND dies earlier than all the true 'heavies'? It's painful for him.

Since you mention the Belmonts I will use them as an example. They're fairly slow as well, although smaller than Ridley and more sensible for their weight.. and we all know how tragic their recovery is. Yet they probably have THE best zoning and ledge trapping in the entire game in the right hands, at LEAST one of the best kits for that.. so they usually end up placed fairly high in mid tier or even in some lists low high tier. Ridley doesn't have anything THAT crazy to elevate him past his flaws.

Last edited:

PK Gaming

Smash Lord
I disagree. That's really I'll say. A lot of the **** people complain about on Olimar isn't that terrible to deal with if you play a decent character and know the MU.

The dude literally gets bodied by a few mid tier counterpicks, the Belmonts destroy him.. he is not some.. ugh. I'm not doing this, I have this argument enough at tournaments. And I know from experience this WILL turn into an argument if I continue.

"It's fine if you know the matchup" isn't a compelling counterargument. I don't want to read about your gut feelings or how "people actually have it all wrong and Olimar isn't that bad in practice" If you can't convince people with compelling arguments, then there's just no point in bringing it up. Personally, I think you should take a step back and reexamine your own biases towards the character because it's clouding your judgement.

It's not mutually exclusive and my point wasn't just "Snake takes effort."

I was calling out the ridiculous double standard that was "Snake is braindead but Olimar requires effort to succeed and is more honest." At high levels of play, all characters require effort to win with, so it's pretty much a non-argument.

Omastar

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2638-1454-6031
olimar doesn't have insane tournament results, he is constant very important distinction, the only olimars that get top tier results with him is Myran, Dabuz, and shuton.

Wolf, fox and snake has more tournaments results.
You are missing the point. Its insane because despite the lack of representation for the character, those 3 have consistently placed well at majors and super majors. My point is that its much more than "just play a good character and learn the matchup" that has been alluded to in this thread.

DelugeFGC

Smash Stick Space Cowboy
Switch FC
SW-2582-1162-1537
My thing with Olimar, I will say again, is primarily that he not a badly designed character. Little Mac is a badly DESIGNED character, badly designed implies the way they are made from the ground up either doesn't make sense for the game or is just busted beyond belief. Olimar is neither.

Olimar's problems, if you even consider them problems (I don't) are more of a numbers and tweaks issue. I also think more characters should be buffed to be brought in line with him and the other top tiers before we go nerfing him, or any of them.. though we have no say on that matter so ah well there I guess.

I don't just say these things because I main him, actually.. yeah I do. Maining him gives me a perspective those who don't, don't. I get to see Olimar at his lowest, I get to feel every aspect of the character in my matches, all the time. I get to take **** from people or literally get booed during sets because I play a character people don't like. Because of that, I am a little salty, won't lie.. but at the same time I truly don't feel he's that busted. He's very, very good.. and again, well rounded.

You can disagree until the cows come home, and list all of the technical numbers and what-not.. I've seen it all already before my opinion formed. That's the nature of these things, after all, we won't all agree, and some of us (especially me) are known for their outlandish and controversial takes on certain matters.. but we're all just crusty nerds anyway so let's drop the argumentative tone and simply be cordial okay? Lord god. This was precisely my point when I said what I did earlier, I get enough of this discussion at tournaments.

I'm done apologizing for the character I play, I'm not going to pretend he isn't fantastic, maybe he even carries me a little.. but good lord, you can pick him up and use him too and he isn't even ranked #1 on most tier lists. Get over it. He's good. Use him, or learn how to deal with him, the competitive scene seems to have very little impact on nerfs / buffs thus far so us pissing about in a debate here will change nothing on that front. Learn the MU.

Olimar is a top tier with very good options, but my god he is not busted. Go play Melee, Brawl or Sm4sh post-DLC if you want to see busted. He's nothing worth throwing a fit or complaining over. He can also still played in a manner that gets results without being super noncommittal and campy.. just real degenerate, really.. I can't say the same for Snake.

Last edited:

Phoenix_is_OK

Smash Apprentice
Olimar is a top tier with very good options, but my god he is not busted. Go play Melee, Brawl or Sm4sh post-DLC if you want to see busted. He's nothing worth throwing a fit or complaining over. He can also still played in a manner that gets results without being super noncommittal and campy.. just real degenerate, really.. I can't say the same for Snake.
You made a really compelling argument and then threw it away with two lines. Let's not strawman this argument.
Edit: this is harsh sorry. I agree with you and sympathize for being hated for playing a character. It's a good argument.

It is too early to be calling Olimar OP because he doesn't have dominative results. But, at the same time, he has a **** ton of super attractive features that make him look questionable-y busted.

I kinda want to end it with this: he isn't broken. But at the same exact time, I wouldn't exactly call him "fair" considering his attributes.

Last edited:

DelugeFGC

Smash Stick Space Cowboy
Switch FC
SW-2582-1162-1537
You made a really compelling argument and then threw it away with two lines. Let's not strawman this argument.
Edit: this is harsh sorry. I agree with you and sympathize for being hated for playing a character. It's a good argument.

It is too early to be calling Olimar OP because he doesn't have dominative results. But, at the same time, he has a **** ton of super attractive features that make him look questionable-y busted.

I kinda want to end it with this: he isn't broken. But at the same exact time, I wouldn't exactly call him "fair" considering his attributes.
My main thing there are definite counterpicks to Olimar that do kind of throw a wrench in his entire gameplan, and he does have a fairly piss disadvantage state so anytime you fail to play perfectly (or just fail to neutral in general, at lower levels) you're usually gonna suffer for it if the other player executes.

I can see why people say what they do. I don't think Snake is problematic, let me just say that now, my main thing about Snake is that he's never fun to watch really. Olimar can go either way, you have your DaBuz's and then you have your Shuton's. Olimar can be a.. very boring time, or a fairly hype set. It just depends on how he's played. Snake isn't the same, optimal Snake play is almost always boring to watch.

The same stuff I said about Olimar goes for Snake, buff other characters to bring them in line, not nerf them.

Olimar is NOTHING on the level of Melee Fox / Puff, Brawl MK or Sm4sh Bayo or Cloud. Nor is Snake or any other top tier. I don't think people should ever be hated for playing a character though, even Brawl MK mains. We are competitive players, so using top tiers is in our best interest, after all. Sometimes, some of us just also happen to like characters that JUST SO HAPPENED TO BE top tier. My thing with Olimar is I really liked the first two Pikmin games and I flirted with him a LOT through Brawl and Sm4sh, I also really like his playstyle around micromanagement and condensing your options to suit the situation.. so when he turned out to be as good as he was in Ult (combined with my usual main, Falcon, not being too spicy) I was tempted to jump on from the start.. eventually I did.

Last edited:

SwagGuy99

Smash Ace
Thoughts on Diddy since the patch?
Pretty much the same. A high mid tier with potential for banana infinites. He also has a good neutral and is decently fast but struggles to kill and has a pretty bad recovery. Maybe slightly better because of the higher kill potential but not enough to rise him significantly on any tier list.

Repli.Cant

Smash Cadet
He's just fairly slow
Slow? He's tied with Zard for 9th fastest run speed. His frame data isn't all that bad either. A frame 4 jab, frame 9 dtilt, frame 8 utilt, frame 10 ftilt is pretty good, especially since his tail and wings are disjointed (dtilt especially shows this off). Nair is a good frame 8 OoS option, fair and bair both being frame 10 and combo/kill respectively. The only thing "slow" about him is his air speed, and that's roughly middle of the cast.
He doesn't hit like a heavyweight
I dunno man, all his smashes hit like a truck, usmash being an absolutely amazing anti air (his entire foot and most of his leg is intangible) that covers an entire Battlefield platform. Tipper ftilt kills early at the ledge and can 2 frame pretty well, his previously stated bair is a good frame 10 aerial to punish misspaced moves that kills pretty well. Tipper uair hits pretty hard. I guess he doesn't hit, like, Bowser or Dedede hard, but who else does?
fairly poor recovery...with a recovery that's barely better than Ganon's
His recovery is not Ganon tier. Ganon tier means getting hit too far off stage = death. Ridley doesn't have that issue. His biggest thing is getting gimped, which isn't exactly the easiest thing to do because of the large disjointed hitbox that is Wing Blitz unless you have good disjoints of your own (i.e. swordies). His side b is good for horizontal recovery without using any jumps and unlike Ganon, doesn't put him into freefall, and unlike Mac, gains it back to use again after getting hit. I'm not trying to say his recovery secretly amazing or anything like that, it absolutely does have it's weaknesses. But it's not that bad.

DelugeFGC

Smash Stick Space Cowboy
Switch FC
SW-2582-1162-1537
Slow? He's tied with Zard for 9th fastest run speed. His frame data isn't all that bad either. A frame 4 jab, frame 9 dtilt, frame 8 utilt, frame 10 ftilt is pretty good, especially since his tail and wings are disjointed (dtilt especially shows this off). Nair is a good frame 8 OoS option, fair and bair both being frame 10 and combo/kill respectively. The only thing "slow" about him is his air speed, and that's roughly middle of the cast.

I dunno man, all his smashes hit like a truck, usmash being an absolutely amazing anti air (his entire foot and most of his leg is intangible) that covers an entire Battlefield platform. Tipper ftilt kills early at the ledge and can 2 frame pretty well, his previously stated bair is a good frame 10 aerial to punish misspaced moves that kills pretty well. Tipper uair hits pretty hard. I guess he doesn't hit, like, Bowser or Dedede hard, but who else does?

His recovery is not Ganon tier. Ganon tier means getting hit too far off stage = death. Ridley doesn't have that issue. His biggest thing is getting gimped, which isn't exactly the easiest thing to do because of the large disjointed hitbox that is Wing Blitz unless you have good disjoints of your own (i.e. swordies). His side b is good for horizontal recovery without using any jumps and unlike Ganon, doesn't put him into freefall, and unlike Mac, gains it back to use again after getting hit. I'm not trying to say his recovery secretly amazing or anything like that, it absolutely does have it's weaknesses. But it's not that bad.
His recovery IS Ganon tier because of how slow and punishable it is, I wasn't talking distance. His speed isn't horrible, but saying 'he's as fast as Charizard' really just proves my point about his speed being an issue in the first place. Zard is not a great barometer for speed, despite being a faster heavy. The point is he is not fast in general.

Also Ridley's smash attacks have pretty crap frame data all said and don't hit / have the hitboxes of some others.. so again, I will say.

Ridley's good does not outweigh the bad. That isn't to say he doesn't HAVE good, but you can't pretend like he isn't loaded down with a lot of bad either. I also used the term 'slow' more as a reference to his frame-data, not his movement speed. Having decent frame data on a few moves doesn't amount to much when it's ONLY a few moves, and none of those moves have big hitboxes or hit very hard. The ONLY move he has with genuinely great frame data is jab, and it's fairly weak and doesn't have a ton of range.

Last edited:

PK Gaming

Smash Lord
Olimar's problems, if you even consider them problems (I don't) are more of a numbers and tweaks issue. I also think more characters should be buffed to be brought in line with him and the other top tiers before we go nerfing him, or any of them.. though we have no say on that matter so ah well there I guess.
No, recklessly buffing characters doesn't address the issues present in Olimar's kit. The patches that nerfed Sheik and Diddy Kong in Smash 4 that brought them more in line with the rest of the cast did far more for the game than any of the buffs they had given to other characters.

I don't just say these things because I main him, actually.. yeah I do. Maining him gives me a perspective those who don't, don't. I get to see Olimar at his lowest, I get to feel every aspect of the character in my matches, all the time. I get to take **** from people or literally get booed during sets because I play a character people don't like. Because of that, I am a little salty, won't lie.. but at the same time I truly don't feel he's that busted. He's very, very good.. and again, well rounded.
Pure conceit on your part. There isn't a human being on the planet who isn't partial towards their main, but the idea that you're somehow more qualified to talk about Olimar's strengths and weaknesses, when you haven't even been arguing in good faith is completely ridiculous. You can keep saying he's extremely well-rounded all you want, but it wont do you any good if you can't back up those claims with tangible arguments. Even if Olimar wasn't problematic, a lightweight character with an exploitable recovery and unique mechanics that significantly vary how he functions can't be well-rounded by design.

You can disagree until the cows come home, and list all of the technical numbers and what-not.. I've seen it all already before my opinion formed. That's the nature of these things, after all, we won't all agree, and some of us (especially me) are known for their outlandish and controversial takes on certain matters.. but we're all just crusty nerds anyway so let's drop the argumentative tone and simply be cordial okay? Lord god. This was precisely my point when I said what I did earlier, I get enough of this discussion at tournaments.
Spare me with that anti-intellectualism. Listing technical numbers and what-not is the point, and if you can't even that in a competitive impressions thread, then maybe you should take a break from here.

I'm done apologizing for the character I play, I'm not going to pretend he isn't fantastic, maybe he even carries me a little.. but good lord, you can pick him up and use him too and he isn't even ranked #1 on most tier lists. Get over it. He's good. Use him, or learn how to deal with him, the competitive scene seems to have very little impact on nerfs / buffs thus far so us pissing about in a debate here will change nothing on that front. Learn the MU.
You absolutely can't expect me to take any of your arguments seriously when you're this wound up over your main. Really it speaks volumes that me criticizing Olimar's design elicits this sort of response from you. I don't expect an apology from Olimar players, nor do I want them to stop playing the character. I'm just pointing out the problems I perceive with the character.

Overtuned = / = busted. Your arguments would be more convincing if you didn't put words in people's mouth and didn't rely on irrelevant comparisons to deflect from Olimar's issues.

Repli.Cant

Smash Cadet
His recovery IS Ganon tier because of how slow and punishable it is
Agreed, it is slow. But I don't think it makes him Ganon tier. I'd argue Ganon (and similarly Mac) are in a tier of their own simply due to the fact that being too far from the ledge is certain doom. I'd equate Ridley's recovery to more of... Ken/Ryu tier. Maybe a tad bit better. Hear me out:
-Side Bs useful for recovery, but are slow and the hitboxes don't exactly cover them enough to make it safe
-Up B can be difficult to challenge if not properly equipped to handle the hitboxes/speed (Wing Blitz moves rather fast, surprisingly), both can hit someone standing at the ledge.

Only difference is that Ridley has 2 more jumps he can make use of to place himself better or weave around gimping attempts. I'd argue that it's slightly better than Ken/Ryu for those reasons, but I'm no Ken/Ryu player.
but saying 'he's as fast as Charizard' really just proves my point about his speed being an issue in the first place. Zard is not a great barometer for speed, despite being a faster heavy
Well, I wasn't exactly trying to compare Ridley's speed with Zards, but rather I was saying that Ridley still has the 9th fastest run speed. I could've left out the Zard bit and still gotten my point across. Hindsight is 20/20.
Also Ridley's smash attacks have pretty crap frame data all said and don't hit / have the hitboxes of some others
Dare I say... he doesn't need better frame data on his smashes? Yeah the hitboxes can be iffy sometimes (fsmash especially) but each of them are generally specific in which you'd use over the other. Usmash an antiair, fsmash a whiffpunisher that kills early, dsmash's little hop lets him avoid some hitboxes low to the ground, as well as having the most horizontal range out of them all, with disjointed wings to boot. I think they get the job done, and his hitboxes (outside of fsmash being a tad bit bigger vertically) wouldn't be the first thing I'd want buffed about him.
Having decent frame data on a few moves doesn't amount to much when it's ONLY a few moves
But it's also his most used moves used in neutral. Dtilt is basically Mewtwo dtilt without the hurtbox. I'm sure you've already heard the whole joke surrounding Ridley and his nair. Ftilt being a decent midrange poke with a potent tipper. Utilt sharks platforms and can combo. Fair especially I feel is underrated because of nair, but it extends further horizontally than nair and hits multiple times. Bair has good range and no sourspot and kills.
Of course, his frame data's not the best. But his most used moves get the job done.
The ONLY move he has with genuinely great frame data is jab, and it's fairly weak and doesn't have a ton of range.
His gentleman actually is pretty strong. Kills earlier than you think it would.

Yeah, maybe his negatives outweigh his positives, but I also think it's by a very close margin and isn't enough to relegate the character to bottom/low tier. Everyone say it with me: solid mid tier. He's still got a really good advantage with frame data that, while not the best, gets the job done most of the time. His disadvantage is bad, no doubt about it though. You mentioned some good points, with his weight not properly balancing out just how massive his hurtbox is, along with being combo food much like the other big bodies.

Last edited:

Roguewolf

Smash Lord
Overtuned tools is what wins you tournaments and guess what? Olimar has a lot of them, his insane tournament results clearly reflect that. Don't be Delugional
I hate that you made that pun but I respect you and what you stand for
My main thing there are definite counterpicks to Olimar that do kind of throw a wrench in his entire gameplan, and he does have a fairly piss disadvantage state so anytime you fail to play perfectly (or just fail to neutral in general, at lower levels) you're usually gonna suffer for it if the other player executes.

I can see why people say what they do. I don't think Snake is problematic, let me just say that now, my main thing about Snake is that he's never fun to watch really. Olimar can go either way, you have your DaBuz's and then you have your Shuton's. Olimar can be a.. very boring time, or a fairly hype set. It just depends on how he's played. Snake isn't the same, optimal Snake play is almost always boring to watch.

The same stuff I said about Olimar goes for Snake, buff other characters to bring them in line, not nerf them.

Olimar is NOTHING on the level of Melee Fox / Puff, Brawl MK or Sm4sh Bayo or Cloud. Nor is Snake or any other top tier. I don't think people should ever be hated for playing a character though, even Brawl MK mains. We are competitive players, so using top tiers is in our best interest, after all. Sometimes, some of us just also happen to like characters that JUST SO HAPPENED TO BE top tier. My thing with Olimar is I really liked the first two Pikmin games and I flirted with him a LOT through Brawl and Sm4sh, I also really like his playstyle around micromanagement and condensing your options to suit the situation.. so when he turned out to be as good as he was in Ult (combined with my usual main, Falcon, not being too spicy) I was tempted to jump on from the start.. eventually I did.

preach bud maining a top tier can be one of the most frustaing experiences when you genuinely just like the charachter and they also happened to fit a playstyle. I agree you should never apologize for playing a charachter. I don't know if I 100 percent agree with your arguments but I respect them nonetheless.

Last edited:

Kiligar

Smash Journeyman
The post from PK Gaming seems to be excessively agressive, just something I noticed. It would be best if everyone stays calm and focus on the subject, and not attacking people. From my perspective with Olimar is yes, he’s the strongest in the game. I don’t see him used that often though, because his weaknesses make him take time to master. Nevertheless, he is overturned. As is Pichu. As is Snake. As are many top tiers in this game. Olimar is one aspect of imbalances within the game, as is Little Mac. Yet Ultimate has better balance than any game before it. Olimar is a character who is beatable, his weaknesses being his disadvantage and his weight. If you’re going to complain about Olimar, then complain about the balance of the game as a whole. Don’t target one character who’s barely stronger than the rest of the top tiers. That’s how the game is structured competitively right now, and hopefully it will improve in the future.

Top Bottom