• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Competitive Character Impressions 2.0

?

• Total voters

Rizen

Smash Legend
Speaking of G&W, Maister did post his matchup spread for him a while back: https://twitter.com/Maister_SSB/status/1093287305450831872

Some things to note:

- He does feel Game and Watch is a top 20 character, which would explain the lack of bad match-ups and the plethora of advantageous match-ups.
- He also feels that ZSS is G&W's worst matchup.

His perception of the list might've changed since this was posted about 2 weeks back.
Only slightly losing to 7 characters; that's quite the optimistic MU spread. Although IDK the MU and can't say anything :/

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion
Only slightly losing to 7 characters; that's quite the optimistic MU spread. Although IDK the MU and can't say anything :/
Like previously mentioned, Maister thinks G&W is top 20:

Personally, I think it's a case of a mid tier main overrating their character:

I could be wrong though, I can't say I've studied G&W much in this game.

KirbySquad101

Smash Ace
While I can't say I agree with this yet, the MU is much harder for G&W than it was back in Smash 4. It almost feels like playing against a Sonic with kill power and a projectile. It's pretty annoying, and I myself have been trying to find a character or characters (or at least, among those I currently use) that can work better against ZSS.

On that note, I question some of his placements like Sonic, Greninja, Pichu, Pikachu (why is Pikachu harder than Pichu), Doc (why is he easier to face than Mario outside of speed), Ryu, Ken (mostly because I lack experience with Street Fighter characters, so it's more for knowledge than disagreement), Roy (why is Roy so much easier than Chrom), every Links' placement, and Wolf. Maister was optimistic about G&W in Smash 4, so where he thinks G&W is doesn't surprise me too much, but some matchups he labels are dubious.
I'm not sure about the other characters, but if I were to guess the Mario/Doc dynamic, it is because Doc has a harder time dealing with Chef because of his slow movement, and his worse recovery makes him more susceptible to gimping from Game and Watch's edge guarding options. I can't really speak for Maister, though, so I'm not sure what his reasoning for differentiating the two is.

Also, after almost losing to Frosty, I'm not sure if I can buy Richter/Simon being favorable for G&W; Oil Panic reflecting stuff doesn't really mean much when after all those projectiles, G&W still has to deal with Simon's huge disjoints, and Uppercut snuffs out any sort of pressure he can try to amass on him. Also, it took me a while to realize this, but I still don't really understand match-up spreads that have Marth and Lucina in different categories (I know Maister's match-up chart ain't the only one that does this either).

Oh yeah, as someone who mains G&W, I do think it's a bit far-fetched to consider him a top 20 character. At the same time, he has been performing very well in locals, and he has a surprisingly large amount of mains playing him now (Paper, Regi, Maister, twerkmastr, Radda Radda). He also did alright in Genesis, with three mains placing 65th or higher. So I while I can't say top tier material, I really can't agree with people placing him along the ranks of characters like Kirby.

I do think he's another character that isn't quite figured out from 4, since his gameplan is much less linear now; shield into grabs or spamming Up Smash at kill percents isn't really going to fly anymore. He sort of feels like C. Falcon in that regard, where it kind of feels like you have to re-learn the character now. I think he will do better once that happens.

Last edited:

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
I'm not sure about the other characters, but if I were to guess the Mario/Doc dynamic, it is because Doc has a harder time dealing with Chef because of his slow movement, and his worse recovery makes him more susceptible to gimping from Game and Watch's edge guarding options. I can't really speak for Maister, though, so I'm not sure what his reasoning for differentiating the two is.

Also, after almost losing to Frosty, I'm not sure if I can buy Richter/Simon being favorable for G&W; Oil Panic reflecting stuff doesn't really mean much when after all those projectiles, G&W still has to deal with Simon's huge disjoints, and Uppercut snuffs out any sort of pressure he can try to amass on him. Also, it took me a while to realize this, but I still don't really understand match-up spreads that have Marth and Lucina in different categories (I know Maister's match-up chart ain't the only one that does this either).

Oh yeah, as someone who mains G&W, I do think it's a bit far-fetched to consider him a top 20 character. At the same time, he has been performing very well in locals, and he has a surprisingly large amount of mains playing him now (Paper, Regi, Maister, twerkmastr, Radda Radda). He also did alright in Genesis, with three mains placing 65th or higher. So I while I can't say top tier material, I really can't agree with people placing him along the ranks of characters like Kirby.

I do think he's another character that isn't quite figured out from 4, since his gameplan is much less linear now; shield into grabs or spamming Up Smash at kill percents isn't really going to fly anymore. He sort of feels like C. Falcon in that regard, where it kind of feels like you have to re-learn the character now. I think he will do better once that happens.
G Dub is weird. He had a bunch of talented mians who only placed well randomly in big tournaments (Registration at Evo, Mind at 200+ events, Maister, Paper, Extra). But wasn't really good overall or beyond rhe mesh of mid tiers. But as a matter of fact, he was the ONLY character with this trait. Only other exception for mids was the Japanese with Duck Hunt, but i also think Duck Hunt was a much better character that borderlined high tier or was...

I found it funny Game and Watch once again fills this phenomena and i can't explain why it is. And i think he's worse in this game (basically cause d tilt and fair). Give him a real fair though that doesn't lose to everything or activates faster and he could be better. It at least kind of serves as a nice masking tool for other moves...but that's about it.

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
Frostbite 2019 Doubles Results

1st: Tweek:ultwolf::ultyounglink: Marss:ultzss::ultike:
2nd: MVD:ultsnake: ESAM:ultpikachu:
3rd: Tea:ultpacman: Lea:ultgreninja:
4th: NAKAT:ultpichu::ultness: VoiD:ultpichu:
5th: Nairo:ultlucina::ultpalutena: MkLeo:ultwolf:
5th: Kameme:ultwario: Abadango:ultwario: (Is this Brawl?!?)
7th: Joker:ultsamus::ultincineroar: Meme:ultyoshi: (Two random players made it this far?!?)
7th: Myran:ultolimar: Uncivil ninja:ultshulk:
9th: zackray:ultwario: Tsu:ultlucario:
9th: 8BitMan:ultrob: Manny:ultroy:
9th: Ally:ultsnake: CaptainZack:ultbayonetta1::ultpeach:
9th: Dark Wizzy:ultmario: Salem:ultlucina:
13th: MuteAce:ultpeach: Samsora:ultpeach:
13th: Cosmos:ultinkling: Ryuga:ultike:
13th: DM:ultpikachu: Raffi-X:ultrob:
13th: PowPow:ultsonic: JeBB:ultpalutena:

Last edited:

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Good to see characters like ROB and Ness placing at Frostbite.

After much consideration, I am sad to admit that Lucas is pretty weak, and not one of the better characters in the game. Which is rough coming from Smash 4 when I thought he was very good, even pretty underrated.

His aerials and specials got a lot better, but so did pretty much everyone else's aerials. His neutral is ridiculous but its super situational. His zair is laughable, his combo game is gutted, and I feel he has barely any followups to his moves. All you can do is send out Pk fires to zone and get your opponent offstage.

Is he redeemable? I'd like a patch update where he at least gets some kind of throw combo back, better range on zair, and the like.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Meme and Joker are relatively unknown outside of TX/Mexico, but they have been a strong doubles team for a while. I'd watch out for them in singles too. Meme got 2nd at a TX regional after losing in pools and playing 15 sets, taking a set off Trela and Megafox. Joker beat Elegant at the same event.

What Ganon's Up To

Smash Cadet

7th: Joker:ultsamus::ultincineroar: Meme:ultyoshi: (Two random players made it this far?!?)
Kameme and Abadango went Sheik and Meta Knight for their final set and MkLeo went for Lucina when Nairo played Palu.

I think Tweek did a few games as Lucina too

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend

It's nice to see Tweek hasn't given up on YL. He could really use some top player representation. An optimized YL would be amazing but that's very hard to do.

Jotun873

Smash Cadet
I know at this point people have relegated the plant to just being bad but surely hes not as straight worthless as people think? He has good anti air options coupled with an average to above average edgeguarding game so i can see why Some people still think he is high tier when they lose to him.

Last edited:

Crooked Crow

drank from lakes of sorrow
I know at this point people have relegated the plant to just being bad but surely hes not as straight worthless as people think? He has good anti air options coupled with an average to above average edgeguarding game so i can see why Some people still think he is high tier when they lose to him.
Piranha Plant's design is counter-intuitive. They want you to approach, and they want to condition you this way, but they do not have the speed, neutral tools, or x factor to really get anything started. He gets camped out pretty hard as a result; and it only took people under a month to figure this out. Piranha Plant does definitely have strengths, but his kit doesn't ebb and flow how I figured it would.

Just based on my own observations, if anybody has any disagreements, feel free to share.

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
Piranha Plant's design is counter-intuitive. They want you to approach, and they want to condition you this way, but they do not have the speed, neutral tools, or x factor to really get anything started. He gets camped out pretty hard as a result; and it only took people under a month to figure this out. Piranha Plant does definitely have strengths, but his kit doesn't ebb and flow how I figured it would.

Just based on my own observations, if anybody has any disagreements, feel free to share.
That pretty much sums up PP at the moment. Great advantage, but no way of forcing approaches. Having high lag in all of it's aerials and having some poor hitboxes doesn't help either.

Rizen

Smash Legend
:ultpiranha: has major mobility issues and lacks a good approach tool. Ptooie and downB are good in advantage but too slow for neutral. Its CQC game is strong with DTilt to Fair, a f2 jab and powerful, partially invulnerable upward attacks. It's strong in a defensive role. Poison's another good defensive tool.

I can see Plant finding a nitch in doubles. It's not good for singles but not terrible either.

I was watching Magister's :ultincineroar: and the recovery buffs are real. The crabby tabby's got some good things going for it.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Hey peeps, are there any changes in the characters from the latest patch? I haven't seen or heard much from it. Normally, it would also appear on the frontpage and all.

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
Hey peeps, are there any changes in the characters from the latest patch? I haven't seen or heard much from it. Normally, it would also appear on the frontpage and all.
No.
2.0.1 is very minor patch that, from what I heard, only fixes a glitch with K. Rool on World of Light. Not sure what the glitch is, but it is patched.

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord
:ultpiranha: has major mobility issues and lacks a good approach tool. Ptooie and downB are good in advantage but too slow for neutral. Its CQC game is strong with DTilt to Fair, a f2 jab and powerful, partially invulnerable upward attacks. It's strong in a defensive role. Poison's another good defensive tool.

I can see Plant finding a nitch in doubles. It's not good for singles but not terrible either.

I was watching Magister's :ultincineroar: and the recovery buffs are real. The crabby tabby's got some good things going for it.
Incerorar is an interesting case. Spamming proctiles vs him will not work him due to revengerl of course, and he is able fo destroy most zoners if he can stack it up. But yeah ironically he seems to going to struggle a lot with swords to to not realy having the best range on a lot of buttons and being so slow. :ultbowser::ultdk: I can also see being difficult similar reasons. They both considerabally outrange. Him and have better overall mobility than him as well

Last edited:

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion
I think there are only balance changes if your replays are deleted, and so far they seem to warn us about such patches in advance.

Incerorar is an interesting case.
He's really interesting. While it's true he's better vs projectile spam than most slow characters (without Revenge he probably would've been the worst character in the game) he's still very, very slow and with a pretty bad recovery. Maybe he's somewhere in mid tier but I don't see him being high tier anytime soon.

Magister did post a matchup chart for Incineroar:
There was a problem fetching the tweet

Winning vs Chrom and Shulk is pretty nice (if true), going even with a bunch of relevant characters is also nice, but he loses to a lot of the meta, and loses hard to Lucina, Olimar, Ness, and Pokémon Trainer, fairly common threats. Still, it's not a terrible MU chart and he could be mid-mid or even high-mid if accurate.

If accurate. A lot of mid tier mains have a tendency to overrate their character, and even Magister himself admitted that we should take it with a grain of salt, so we'll see. I'd be curious to see if Shulk players think they lose to Incineroar (I happen to think Shulk is quite good, so it'd be pretty significant if Incineroar wins that MU).

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord
I think there are only balance changes if your replays are deleted, and so far they seem to warn us about such patches in advance.

He's really interesting. While it's true he's better vs projectile spam than most slow characters (without Revenge he probably would've been the worst character in the game) he's still very, very slow and with a pretty bad recovery. Maybe he's somewhere in mid tier but I don't see him being high tier anytime soon.

Magister did post a matchup chart for Incineroar:
There was a problem fetching the tweet

Winning vs Chrom and Shulk is pretty nice (if true), going even with a bunch of relevant characters is also nice, but he loses to a lot of the meta, and loses hard to Lucina, Olimar, Ness, and Pokémon Trainer, fairly common threats. Still, it's not a terrible MU chart and he could be mid-mid or even high-mid if accurate.

If accurate. A lot of mid tier mains have a tendency to overrate their character, and even Magister himself admitted that we should take it with a grain of salt, so we'll see. I'd be curious to see if Shulk players think they lose to Incineroar (I happen to think Shulk is quite good, so it'd be pretty significant if Incineroar wins that MU).

One think i dosgree is with that list is I think he will really stuggle vs fellow superheavies Bowser and DK. They outrange him with almost every button and have much better overall mobility. A good DK or Bowser can keep Roar at bay

Last edited:

N8than

Smash Apprentice
How does everyone feel about Toon Link? I remember that a lot of top players claimed he was the best out of the three Links during the first month of Smash Ultimate, but I haven't seen much of him otherwise.

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion
How does everyone feel about Toon Link? I remember that a lot of top players claimed he was the best out of the three Links during the first month of Smash Ultimate, but I haven't seen much of him otherwise.
He's getting results in Japan, though result-wise he's lagging behind Link and Young Link (Link #17, Young Link #21, Toon Link #28). I personally think he's in a similar (or perhaps slightly better) position as in Smash 4, so a pretty solid high-mid tier character. In this case, however, there are plenty of other projectile characters that are arguably better (like Snake, Link, Young Link), but Toon Link seems solid. I haven't looked into him all that much though.

One of his main issues in Smash 4 were Cloud, who he likely lost -2 to. Which are his -2 MUs in this game, if any? If he doesn't have any -2 MUs (or if the -2 MUs are against less common characters) then he's probably quite a bit more viable than in Smash 4 (having a -2 MU against Smash 4 Cloud really sucked).

Siledh

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Siledhrel
3DS FC
3969-5560-9348

Projectile spam can hurt zoners against him, but I find most people overspam Revenge in response and that allows the zoners to get in and hurt him. Maybe I have just played bad Incineroars though.

Also his weakness against swords means the Links are especially strong against him with their added zoning abilities.

Rizen

Smash Legend
I can't see TL not being high tier when YL is. TL has better weight, air and run speed than YL and their frame data is about even. TL has the issue of being an old toy when Link and YL are new toys so his results trail behind. He might be the best Link but IDK if he's better than YL or not.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

This exposed me, and my main (same name on here).

Diddy is probably Mid Tier then, but probably the very best in Mid Tier. I just... can't seem to place him in my mind lower than DK.

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion
Diddy is probably Mid Tier then, but probably the very best in Mid Tier. I just... can't seem to place him in my mind lower than DK.
To be fair, mid tiers tend to be really hard to order, probably harder than Top tiers (who tend to be the easiest to order since we get the most data), Low tiers (it's often fairly obvious which the worst characters are), and High tiers (they can be tricky too). Many mid tiers are pretty decent or even good overall (at least High-Mid tiers), but have some significant flaws or matchups preventing them from being top or high tier.

So, Diddy Kong? The truth is, we don't really know where he is. Many Diddy Kong mains have lost faith in him but some still play him, and if pushed he could, perhaps, be a pretty decent character. I do wonder who will play him though? Going from top 4 to high-mid tier is rough, and many of his notable players switched mains. Meanwhile, Donkey Kong arguably got a little better than in Smash 4, so Donkey Kong mains are less likely to drop him.

Siledh

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Siledhrel
3DS FC
3969-5560-9348
But potential...

On a more serious note, Elegant is very skilled and Shulk is one of the harder characters to play. I still think Shulk has incredible potential, but it might take months before we start seeing strong results from him.

The SDs were indeed unfortunate. We've been seeing quite a few SDs in general in this game, probably because the game is new (and the hold buffer is stupid, I sure hope they'll give us an option for turning it off).
I die so much because of the buffer screwing my recovery.

starwoof

Smash Rookie
Cinerawr and Rosa definitely got the best end of the stick on this one. I thought Rosa was pretty good before, but all the glitches in her Luma being fixed and her attacks being adjusted for easier (and full) use was necessary. Rawr's recovery is much appreciated, and lets him do more (if a little) gimping.

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
I think the stronger pull of the top tiers in this game is BECAUSE the cast is so huge and generally viable.

When you have to deal with 70+ matchups, either you learn your matchups inside and out, or you pick a character who's relatively "immune" to matchups, i.e. they can play their game plan against virtually anyone.

Or, I guess, you study tapes like you're a professional sports coach.

The secondaries come in perhaps when you "ignoring" the matchup only takes you so far.

Today's Tom Sawyer

Smash Rookie
I can't see TL not being high tier when YL is. TL has better weight, air and run speed than YL and their frame data is about even. TL has the issue of being an old toy when Link and YL are new toys so his results trail behind. He might be the best Link but IDK if he's better than YL or not.
The issue with this notion is that Toon Link's kit, while possessive of strong tools in isolation, does not knit together in practice like Young Link's does. Without Young Link's nair or arrows, Toon Link can't apply pressure or threaten to approach the way that Young Link can. This in turn weakens his camping game by making it more predictable.

Young Link's possessing both one of the best vortex games as well as one of the best camping games presents an immense advantage. There are very few characters about whom you could claim the same.

Toon Link's lack of flexibility and cohesion, in comparison, is not worth his slightly better bombs or attributes.

Last edited:

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord
Hmm I am beginning to wonder about :ultsnake: a bit. Despite his very good kit and how strong he seems on paper. His results at big competions seem to come up a bit short. I dont know it seems he kinda suffers a lesser version of :ultridley:syndrome. If he finds himself unable to consistently press his advantage thought a game or the oppoent can break though it. Snake them seems to struggle. Is it just he has somewhat difficult MU's with many top tiers?.

He is def high-tier. But I dont think he quite reaches top

Last edited:

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Hmm I am beginning to wonder about :ultsnake: a bit. Despite his very good kit and how strong he seems on paper. His results at big competions seem to come up a bit short. I dont know it seems he kinda suffers a lesser version of :ultridley:syndrome. If heconsistently press his advantage thought a game or the oppoent can break though it. Snake them seems to struggle. Is it just he has somewhat difficult MU's with many top tiers?
I think a large part of it is mental fatigue. It actually takes a fair bit to keep track of all of his explosives from my understanding. Wears down on you in a large tournament on top of his weak points you have to try to manage.

Gearkeeper-8a

Smash Apprentice
Hmm I am beginning to wonder about :ultsnake: a bit. Despite his very good kit and how strong he seems on paper. His results at big competions seem to come up a bit short. I dont know it seems he kinda suffers a lesser version of :ultridley:syndrome. If he finds himself unable to consistently press his advantage thought a game or the oppoent can break though it. Snake them seems to struggle. Is it just he has somewhat difficult MU's with many top tiers?.

He is def high-tier. But I dont think he quite reaches top
A character being good doesn't mean the character will be popular, top players prefer to main easy to play or well rounded character, is why no top players switched to peachs\daisys or olimar, snake isn't easy to play and isn't broken enough to be used by top players

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
A character being good doesn't mean the character will be popular, top players prefer to main easy to play or well rounded character, is why no top players switched to peachs\daisys or olimar, snake isn't easy to play and isn't broken enough to be used by top players
Case in point: Smash 4 Rosalina. Universally considered top tier pretty much from day one, never a popular pick despite that.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Like I said, I don't trust the OrionStats because they don't include weeklies. Some of which are more stacked than main tournaments like when Awestin beat ESAM, Lima and MVD was there too. Not including things like Shockwaves (TX) and Mega Smash Mondays (CA IIRC) hurts characters like Ness and YL.

Regardless, Snake's getting results. His boxing game's great with a f6 Utilt that kills better than a lot of smashes, f3 jab 4 Ftilt, etc and he's probably the best stage controller in the game. He has weaknesses like getting juggled and a committal air game. I personally think he's a top tier but he's no lower than high tier for sure.

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion
[...]is why no top players switched to peachs\daisys or olimar[...]
Quite a few top players switched to Peach/Daisy though (Olimar not so much, so far it's only been former Olimar mains playing him in Ultimate at a high level, as far as I know).
ZD :ultfox:beat Zackray 3-1 :ultwolf:
That is unfortuent for Zack
There's a thread here, please don't post spoilers here without the spoiler tag: https://smashboards.com/threads/frostbite-2019-thread.479040/page-3#post-23058982

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Can we talk about Diddy Kong's Up B explosion and how ridiculously easy it is to punish with it, especially if people don't know what's coming? For example, it's very very easy to punish WOLF'S obnoxious Blaster spam with it, as the move allows you to simply travel OVER the laser shot and explode on impact on Wolf for a good 22% damage. Against larger characters, or characters that love to open up a match with a projectile that has start up charge animations, this is ideal. Also against big or tall bodies. And punishing other lagging moves. It really adds a element of danger from keeping yourself exposed for too long against Diddy Kong, and it fits his playstyle greatly, as Diddy needs to look up for punishing laggy moves with Banana or grabs anyway. Sometimes this can kill as early as 100-110%, depends on the character weight,. Heavy characters die around 130% (before impact) with this move. I literally haven't seen anyone do stuff with it besides myself. Maybe I should've just shut up, and not expose my main's very few triumph cards, but I don't care, cause this move is cool as ****.

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay
What y’all think of Lea? :)

For real tho, he’s only dropped 1? game in winners bracket so far.

:150:

Top Bottom