• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Comparing Overwatch and Smash?

Does comparing Smash and Overwatch tactics make sense?

• Total voters

Chief Hotsuin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Blue-Rob
3DS FC
3411-3937-1436
*This post assumes that the reader has a basic understanding of the class based team shooter Overwatch, which l'm pretty sure 90% of you do. But just saying it anyway*

So, some time ago, Force Gaming made some videos on Overwatch about hero match-ups and neutral game in the OW sense, like a Tracer baiting a McCree's Flashbang by blinking in and out of the Flashbang's effective range, forcing McCree to choose whether or not to use it. ln some other video OW video, l recall the content creator mentioning character objectives, such as Genji or Winston trying to jump on supports to aid in the team fight or Lucio speed-boosting through chokepoints with a Reinhardt. Any of that ringing a bell to you?

l hope you said yes, because that sounds a lot like Smash as well, to me. Think about poking at someone's shield to figure out their OOS option or dashdancing in front of a Marth to bait a forward smash. Not to mention how characters in Smash have objectives of their own, such as Smash 4 Mario wanting a grab for up tilt combos to rack up damage and send the opponent above him, and how he can get them after bair and Fireball pressure.

But at the same time, they're very different games. One doesn't know whether it's a fighter or a platformer and the other doesn't know if it's a MOBA or an FPS, so l wanna know what you think. Because honestly, l remember trying to do so once and l said something about Winston beating Genji and l got ****ing flamed so l feel the need to address the opinion of more people about a subject that doesn't matter in the slightest, except in how l like both games.

(l mean TF2's infinitely better than that rip-off but it's dead, according to literally everyone who left after MYM)

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
That's just multiplayer gaming in general. Using mind games to force your opponent to use a move by a fake out will give you an advantage if you take the opportunity to exploit an opening. You could have made this thread comparing Street Fighter mixups to CS:GO with that logic.

Plus, TF2 is dead game now lolololol.

Weeman

Smash Crusader
That's just multiplayer gaming in general. Using mind games to force your opponent to use a move by a fake out will give you an advantage if you take the opportunity to exploit an opening. You could have made this thread comparing Street Fighter mixups to CS:GO with that logic.

You know what else is dead, your account.
B& :salt:

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700

More like competitive multiplayer gaming in general. Even LoL can works as well, hell it has even more depths when it comes to strategy.
Nope, me and some users had compare Smash and Overwatch. Technically this is like comparing apples to oranges. But it is fun to compare these two games anyway.

You can't really compare a FPS game and a fighting game. when it comes to those terms.

*This post assumes that the reader has a basic understanding of the class based team shooter Overwatch, which l'm pretty sure 90% of you do. But just saying it anyway*
Yes, I do. Even though I had never played any Blizzard games prior to Overwatch I had paid attention to this game ever since last year's beta access. I got the game in August (I also watched my brother playing for three months before buying it)

So, some time ago, Force Gaming made some videos on Overwatch about hero match-ups and neutral game in the OW sense, like a Tracer baiting a McCree's Flashbang by blinking in and out of the Flashbang's effective range, forcing McCree to choose whether or not to use it. ln some other video OW video, l recall the content creator mentioning character objectives, such as Genji or Winston trying to jump on supports to aid in the team fight or Lucio speed-boosting through chokepoints with a Reinhardt. Any of that ringing a bell to you?
Um... matchups, sort of. Objectives, no, Overwatch is a team focus game. Unlike Smash where you usually go 1v1. And OW's heroes have certain roles.
However, recently Overwatch's PTRhad 1v1 in arcade mode. But it's using the same character ...
l hope you said yes, because that sounds a lot like Smash as well, to me. Think about poking at someone's shield to figure out their OOS option or dashdancing in front of a Marth to bait a forward smash. Not to mention how characters in Smash have objectives of their own, such as Smash 4 Mario wanting a grab for up tilt combos to rack up damage and send the opponent above him, and how he can get them after bair and Fireball pressure.

But at the same time, they're very different games. One doesn't know whether it's a fighter or a platformer and the other doesn't know if it's a MOBA or an FPS, so l wanna know what you think. Because honestly, l remember trying to do so once and l said something about Winston beating Genji and l got ****ing flamed so l feel the need to address the opinion of more people about a subject that doesn't matter in the slightest, except in how l like both games.
How about we just throw those tech things aside and try to compare OW and Smash4 in a whole different way?

Just what did OW and Smash4 do that is so amazingly different in their genre (FPS and Fighting), that they both can attract the casuals and the competitives?

Both games shift their genre in another direction. Smash Bros is a fighting where you focus on knocking opponent off the stage and not trying to make their health bar to zero. Overwatch is not just getting about kills, it's about teamwork, and learn how to play as your role properly.

Smash Bros's atmosphere... is fricking awesome, not to optimistic but still cool. Overwatch on the other hand just had so many things that makes the game cool too: Characters, Skins, maps, and animation. Those things made OW appeal to everyone.

So what are things that Smash4 does better than OW? Well... Smash is a more nostalgia +new blood Nintendo character mix together. Has many beloved characters. Has better single player modes compare to OW(So far).
One huge thing that Smash beats Overwatch is of course, the OSTs! OW just can't beat it.
And... amiibos... yeah that's all I can think of.

OW... man I am a bit ashamed to say but it has many things that are better than Smash4. I'm sorry to say this but it has more competitive potential compare to Smash. It's on PC (And other home consoles except Wii U :c, hope ti can be on Switch) which makes it very accessible. Also don't get me started how well Blizzard made this game competitive scene solid. Yes, Blizzard is more support to many countries compare to Nintendo. They recently announce Overwatch League that helps people becoming a pro. That's what Nintendo isn't willing to do for Smash for now.
Also animation is so good. Overwatch doesn't have story mode like Smash4 but it has a well made lore for players to enjoy and makes the game more vivid. Sure Smash4 has animation but you they only just shows us new characters and no story in them, sort of. They just didn't even try, sure Smash4 is a crossover game so it might be difficult to make a lore for Smash. But for promoting the game this is what Nintendo should do, just give us official (and good) lores for almost any franchises Nintendo. Takes Pokemon Special manga. It's so good that even Satoshi recommends it, story is good, makes sense since it still fits the game. But of course it's not official.

So there you have it, Smash vs OW... I think comparing Overwatch and Splatoon would be more legit.

AZ_Spellbound

Smash Journeyman
Yes and No for me. Im a Diamond player in Overwatch, and one thing that helped me get good at the game was treating it kinda like Smash. I view characters in a match up and stage perspective as to who i should play, however, one thing that makes both games different is thinking about how to beneifit your team as oppose to just yourself.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Sort of but they have different styles about each other that can seem similar

Nah

Smash Champion
There are some fundamentals that apply to all forms of player vs player combat is all it is really.

You could compare Overwatch (or any other game) to any other game with PvP combat and you'd be able to find these similarities.

That's basically where the comparison ends though.

Yashichi

Smash Journeyman
i haven't read a single post in this thread and never will but i just want to say that mei is THICC AF mmh

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
i haven't read a single post in this thread and never will but i just want to say that mei is THICC AF mmh
I was going to applaud you on your intelligent opinion but you said Mei instead of Roadhog so I'm going to have to give you this imaginary downvote.

**** taste smh.

wedl!!

Goddess of Storms
NNID
Plushies4Ever
competitive games have similar fundamentals. that's just how they work.

it's not exclusive to competitive multiplayer, either. a game like dark souls lives and dies on dueling fundamentals such as that.

Last edited:

BagrB0y

Smash Cadet
What do people think of Doomfist?
From what minimal labbing of him I've done, it seems he can cancel his primary LMB fire with a melee attack (one of the few characters to be able to do something like this for easy extra damage). He also gets ammo back while not shooting (but can't force a reload), this cooldown can start while you melee however a single melee doesn't have enough endlag or damage to actually increase DPS if you LMB - melee -LMB - melee, for instance).

His leaps damage can be increased by jumping (I believe in most cases on flat ground this increases the damage dealt from ~44-47 to ~53-55ish). You can also change where the leap actually hits by turning while midair but this does not change the damage (or trajectory of the jump, from what I can tell- Although movement inputs may actually DI this somewhat). The leap also does knockback TOWARDS the Doomfist player meaning it should always true combo into rising fist or melee.

You cannot cancel melee into Rising Fist, and you cant melee right after either (but you can shoot).

Combining this you can get a gauranteed kill combo on 200HP heroes with jump - leap - rising fist - 2x LMB - melee

Edit: What were we talking about again?

Last edited:
Top Bottom