• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Community Suggested Changes to Olimar

GrizzleDrizz1ed

Smash Apprentice
This is a list that most, if not all of the people (who spoke up) in the Olimar Skype Chat agreed should be changes to Olimar. We believe these are reasonable requests

Olimar Changes:
1. Return Aerial Neutral B to the 3.5 version. (The IASA was increased and it made the move significantly less useful.)
2. Shorten time to Bud/Flower to 10-12 seconds per stage. (Currently it's at 15 seconds per stage. This is a fast paced game and players usually have roughly 20 seconds of "Flower Power." Moving it to 10 or 12 seconds would give us a bit more time.)
3. Have Olimars Tether Recovery be attached as his Z-Air. The little hop is not present. (His Jetpack is incredibly predictable as it's very slow, has a very long landing lag, weak hitboxes, and a very difficult to sweetspot ledge recovery. Adding this option would give us a bit more of an unpredictable edge when getting back. If no to adding the Z-tether recovery option, see #4 below.)
*4. Increase the launch speed of the Up B Jetpack, Reduce the Landing Lag, and increase the Sweetspot size slightly.(As stated above, this recovery is pretty bad. It's better IMO than just having the Tether recovery, but it's pretty rough.)
5. Speed up Olimars Dair to match 3.02. (Or at least be a bit faster. As it is now, it's mostly only useable when they sloppily recover.)
6. Increase Pikmin health a little. (Increasing their health a little bit would promote us being able to have fewer Pikmin in our lineup. Tie this in with a Z-tether recovery and you have each player changing up their play style mid fight, which is always a plus.)
7. Pikmin Toss should deal damage immediately upon latching onto the opponent. (When Pikmin latch, they currently do not do any damage upon impact. This can be rough because we rely on our Pikmin for our moves, and if they can be knocked off, which decreases their health/kills them, and knocks them out of our usability range, it puts us at a disadvantage. While there are many other characters who can spam projectiles that have no value to them (Mario, Samus, Falco, etc) and deal instant damage upon contact while blocking other projectiles and forcing an approach, I feel like we should at least be able to deal damage for successfully connecting with a Pikmin)
8. Yellow Pikmin Usmash should be moved up to match the rest of the Pikmin hitboxes, and then have an increased hitbox when flowered. (I think this was just an oversight. This is the only move where the Yellow hitbox is smaller, and it's wierd cuz it's also lower too, making it possibly the worst Usmash option.)
9. Have Pikmin Toss not be stopped by Fox’s Lasers. (This just sucks super bad for us. It doesn't make any sense that a non KB move would stop a Pikmin.)

*These changes should be made if the Z-Air Tether is not added. Though a slight buff would still be nice.

If anyone disagrees or has any other reasonable suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

Ningildo

Smash Journeyman
Startup invincibility on Up B when? A bit more control on Up B would be nice in all seriousness, though.

You should probably tag some PMDT members because no one besides Oli mains come here lol.

GrizzleDrizz1ed

Smash Apprentice
Startup invincibility on Up B when? A bit more control on Up B would be nice in all seriousness, though.

You should probably tag some PMDT members because no one besides Oli mains come here lol.
I didn't mention anything about invincibility on Up B, only that it should be faster. I don't really need the better control for it, but of course it would be nice.

I don't know how to tag PMDT in posts, but I gave the link to SilentDoom to look over and pass to the other PMDT members who could make these changes.

Shokio

Netplay 4 Days
NNID
Shokio
I only see 3, 4, and 9 as absolute necessities. The rest I definitely agree with, but it won't be the end of the world if they don't happen. Well, the added neutral B endlag was kinda pointless and unnecessarily cuts into the move's potency, so maybe that too.

The rest would really be nice though and much appreciated. But if the Dev Teams thinks it's too much, 3, 4, 9, and 1 should probably be prioritized.

Ningildo

Smash Journeyman
I was joking about the invincibility, though.

Oli's in a really good spot right now and tbh, most these buffs are icing on the cake (or the cake in the case of Zair, I guess). All he needs now is some more good players and we'll have salty people that hate Oli in no time.

robosteven

Smash Lord
NNID
robosteven
Make pluck mashable.

Make grab not totally stupid.

Rebuff nair.

Rebuff nair.

REBUFF NAIR.

edit: how are you people not able to sweetspot his up-b

it's a bad move but the sweetspot isn't even the main problem

Last edited:

Shokio

Netplay 4 Days
NNID
Shokio
I would love for Nair to be reverted back to 3.0, yeah. That'd be godlike. It seems to always just trade with everything, or just get beaten out altogether.

robosteven

Smash Lord
NNID
robosteven
I would love for Nair to be reverted back to 3.0, yeah. That'd be godlike. It seems to always just trade with everything, or just get beaten out altogether.
I just want the hits to link better. I don't mind getting beaten out when using it, but when I laND THE DAMN MOVE AND CAN'T EVEN FOLLOWUP

Virum

Smash Ace
NNID
SiLeNtDo0m
3DS FC
3368-3441-2801
I just want the hits to link better. I don't mind getting beaten out when using it, but when I laND THE DAMN MOVE AND CAN'T EVEN FOLLOWUP
That's simply because opponents are SDI'ing out of it like they can almost every aerial multi-hit move.

Rᴏb

still here, just to suffer
I'm just gonna repost what I said in the RNG thread, because overall it seems more relevant here.
Yursaman said: said:
From an outside perspective, a set order seems like the most logical choice. You should start every game with 5 Pikmin in the order of Red, Yellow, Blue, White and Purple and this should be the order in which Pikmin are plucked as well. This change alone would make Olimar such a better character based on the fact that he would actually become consistent. Compared to his current kit that uses RNG, this change is strictly a good one by comparison.

Two other changes that I feel would really compliment this mechanic are speeding up Pikmin Pluck and Whistle. These changes would essentially allow one to safely acquire and rearrange their lineup on the fly, which would in turn allow players a greater degree of control of their character, and promote olimar's opponents to never stop pressuring him. I believe that these changes would mitigate the amount of Pikmin farming to only occur between stocks, or when opponents are extremely reluctant to approach. Admittedly, making Olimar's ability to farm certain kinds of Pikmin easier sounds kinda scary, so at the very least I think he should get his Whistle sped up. I don't really think Olimar is a character that is reliant on farming for duplicate Pikmin in order to be good, but I do think that having duplicate Pikmin puts Olimar in a very good position, so I think he should only be able to farm when he's earned it. This kinda goes against my reasoning for allowing Olimar to farm easier, but I believe that these changes would at least speed up the pace of matches by giving Olimar a more complete lineup a higher percent of the time (and thus more options), and by giving his opponents more of a reason to approach him.

Also, I can't help but mention this last change that would also compliment a set order of Pimin. I think that Olimar's antennae should shine the color Pikmin that Olimar is about to pluck next because the way antennae functions now is kinda redundant since you can clearly see which Pikmin you're about to use. Rather than have his antennae represent something that you can already see on the screen, I think it should represent something that you would normally have to keep track of on your own.

robosteven

Smash Lord
NNID
robosteven
That's simply because opponents are SDI'ing out of it like they can almost every aerial multi-hit move.
...which is funny considering that it wasn't a problem in 3.0, and also that Ivysaur doesn't have this problem with her nair.

Guel

Smash Journeyman
Even with down b managing pikmin with olimar is still a hassle.Olimar currently switches pikmin order after every aerial grab and smash.

My suggestion is to have him only switch pikmin from the use of his Fsmash(throws pikmin) SideB(pikmin tossing) and his down b (pikmin switching) of course. This way one will be able to hold a grab pikmin in front for the extra range against a zoner or hold a purple pikmin as they shffl fairs near edge. This suggestion allows us to manage his pikmin with much more control

Shokio

Netplay 4 Days
NNID
Shokio
Even with down b managing pikmin with olimar is still a hassle.Olimar currently switches pikmin order after every aerial grab and smash.

My suggestion is to have him only switch pikmin from the use of his Fsmash(throws pikmin) SideB(pikmin tossing) and his down b (pikmin switching) of course. This way one will be able to hold a grab pikmin in front for the extra range against a zoner or hold a purple pikmin as they shffl fairs near edge. This suggestion allows us to manage his pikmin with much more control
That's sounds great and all, but that would also take away the Yellow to Purple or White to Purple combos that you can do with Fair and Uair.

Ooga Booga

Smash Rookie
NNID
Quilava711
how would you all feel about making up b a kill move? its a pretty bad recovery anyway so having it be a kill move would be a good trade off.

Shokio

Netplay 4 Days
NNID
Shokio
I've always wanted Up-B to be a kill move cause whenever I get an Up-air string and they move slightly out of range, it's always felt empty. To have it as a combo finisher would be great.

tasteless gentleman

Smash Journeyman
Why does olimar change pikmin when he grabs the ledge? Im not complaining, just a question, also make his recovery either a kill move or better

steelguttey

mei is bei
Why does olimar change pikmin when he grabs the ledge? Im not complaining, just a question, also make his recovery either a kill move or better
he doesnt, sometimes the pimin bug out when you grab ledge and have to re-order themselves but its not a 100% thing at all

Top Bottom