• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Community Robin Mod

Spark31

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Spark311
3DS FC
4940-5914-5196
I've been working on a mod that would buff Robin from a lower tier location up to a mid-high tier location. Although I've done this with other characters, Robin is a special case. I've redesigned how he is played to some extent. I've nerfed his Levin sword in respawn time and uses, but in exchange I've made the bronze sword actually decent. Let me know what you guys think. I'm still working on it, so suggestions are appreciated. Changelog will be in the OP.

Download (Current version v1.0): http://gamebanana.com/gamefiles/4539

v1.0
50 - Attack11 (Jab 1)
(Added lines 9,10)
Added interruptible frames starting on frame 25

51 - Attack12 (Jab 2)
(Added lines 19,20)
Added interruptible frames starting on frame 31

58 - AttackS3 (Forward Tilt)
(Added lines 4,5)
Added interruptible frames starting on frame 28

5D - AttackLw3 (Down Tilt)
(Lines 1,2,3)
Increased angle to 70 (46 hex)
Increased BKB to 60 (3C hex)

69 - AttackAirF (Fair)
(Lines 9,10,11)
Decreased bronze damage to 6
Decreased bronze angle to 50 (32 hex)
Decreased bronze BKB to 40 (28 hex)
Bronze hitbox size increased to 3.5

(Line 10)
Lowered bronze hitbox Y to -0.5
(Line 26)
Autocancel decreased to 19 frames

6A - AttackAirB (Bair)
(Lines 8,9,10)
Increased bronze KBG to 100 (64 hex)
Increased bronze BKB to 57 (39 hex)
Bronze hitbox size increased to 3

6B - AttackAirHi (Up Air)
(Lines 5,6,7)
Increased levin KBG to 95 (5F hex)
(Lines 9,10,11)
Decreased bronze BKB to 80 (50 hex)

6C - AttackAirLw (Dair)
(Line 11)
Angle increased to 270 (10E hex)
BKB decreased to 25 (19 hex)

72 - Catch (Grab)
(Line 1)
Increased grab-box size to 4.2

73 - CatchDash (Dash Grab)
(Line 1)
Increased grab-box size to 3.8

79 - ThrowB (Back Throw)
(Line 0)
Increased KBG to 70 (46 hex)
Increased damage to 11.5

7B - ThrowLw (Down Throw)
(Line 0)
Decreased KBG to 75 (4B)
Increased damage to 8

<fighter_param.bin>

(Entry 44, name 3)
Walk max speed increased to 1

(Entry 44, name 11)
Dash max speed increased to 1.25

(Entry 44, name 12)
Decreased jump-squat to 5 frames

(Entry 44, name 22)
Air max speed increased to 1.02

NOTE: Incompatible with other character attribute mods

<fighter_param_vl_reflect.bin>

(Group 16, entry 2, name 10)
Decreased levin uses to 4

(Group 16, entry 2, name 12)
Increased levin respawn time to 1500 frames

(Group 16, entry 2, name 17)
Increased wind uses to 21

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Reasonings would go a long way here.

Although I disagree with your fundamental statement (Robin is already mid-high tier, not low), and several of your changes, knowing WHY you're making certain changes better lets me explain to me why I think you're wrong, and misunderstand the character's design goals/overall kit cohesion.

Spark31

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Spark311
3DS FC
4940-5914-5196
Reasonings would go a long way here.

Although I disagree with your fundamental statement (Robin is already mid-high tier, not low), and several of your changes, knowing WHY you're making certain changes better lets me explain to me why I think you're wrong, and misunderstand the character's design goals/overall kit cohesion.
Oh, I don't actually think Robin is low tier, that's the general sentiment of community. Although, low-mid is a more accurate description of his perceived placement. Which changes in particular do you disagree with?

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Most of them, if I'm being honest. I want to know what exactly your thought process and overall design goals were, because a lot of the changes seem very haphazard and oddly placed.

Nah

Smash Champion
I can't say I agree with most of this either =/

Spark31

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Spark311
3DS FC
4940-5914-5196
Most of them, if I'm being honest. I want to know what exactly your thought process and overall design goals were, because a lot of the changes seem very haphazard and oddly placed.
So my basic goal was to make Robin as I thought Nintendo had originally planned him, a character who has to use his Levin sword wisely. However because it has such a short cool down and the bronze sword is complete garbage, you almost never see Robin NOT using his Levin sword. I wanted to change that, hence why I made the Levin Sword harder to come by.

The fair changes for the bronze sword were intended to be a quick, combo oriented move that could be thrown out for spacing. The damage was decreased in order to decrease knockback, and the hitbox lowered so it could hit short opponents on start up. With the KBG and angle, you can actually fair chain with it. It's not true but if they air dodge out you can regrab after they land. Overall I just made his fair a better move.

Bair was changed mostly because I realized Robin had very few kill options without the Levin sword. Although bronze bair isn't nearly as strong Levin Sword, it'll kill at roughly 110 by ledge.

The up air change is, similarly to fair, designed to allow it to combo more easily. Landing bronze up air actually has some cool new set ups after this change.

The Levin up air change was mostly to allow Robin to kill more easily off of his Levin sword. If I'm going to make Levin sword harder to get might as well make it a stronger option, right?

The down throw change doesn't do as much to the move knockback wise as you would think. I've specifically changed it so it won't be more than one or two units off of the original value. The reason for this change is it gives down throw a few more frames of hitstun. This makes down throw up air true for a small window at kill percent on many mid-fast fallers.

The back throw changes just make it a better kill option. It kills roughly the same percents as toon link's now .It gives Robin another optionto close stocks off with at high percent without Levin sword.

Accidentally did patch notes wrong and forgot to mention that the dair change was for the bronze one. Basically the bronze version just spikes now, my B.

The down tilt change is literally only there so Robin has a way of setting up his fair strings on the shortest characters. As of right now bronze fair can hit medium height characters and taller on straight up short hop. Down tilt let's Robin start combos into fair on shorter characters.

The jab and tilt changes serve only to make them safer in general. You also get some follow ups off of jab 1 now.

Interestingly enough after some messing around with the mod I've found breaking Levin Sword, and subsequently catching it, is much more common after this mod. This makes me realize that you have some very interesting combo options now. Aside from having a killing projectile, the flinging of the blade has some crazy combo uses.

So those are some explanations. Feel free to poke holes on my reasoning.

Last edited:

Zareidriel

zuh-RAY-dree-ole
NNID
Zareidriei
Hell I'm glad people are modding Robin at all. Thanks for the work Spark! I think I'll try this out just for funzies.

Just at a glance I think it probably makes her broken. But making a Robin mod that would correctly and FAIRLY increase her power to that of the top-tier characters would require finesse, incremental small changes, a lot of arguing, and frankly, a huge amount of time.

Spark31

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Spark311
3DS FC
4940-5914-5196
Hell I'm glad people are modding Robin at all. Thanks for the work Spark! I think I'll try this out just for funzies.

Just at a glance I think it probably makes her broken. But making a Robin mod that would correctly and FAIRLY increase her power to that of the top-tier characters would require finesse, incremental small changes, a lot of arguing, and frankly, a huge amount of time.
The lack of Levin Sword makes her not broken... at least in my eyes. That said I'm not a Robin main so who knows.

Top Bottom