• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Ice Climber Communitiy

What is Nana and Popo’s relationship?

• Close friends

Votes: 36 24.8%
  • Siblings

Votes: 66 45.5%
  • Lovers

Votes: 43 29.7%

• Total voters

Luminario

Smash Lord
Oh no, does that mean no Villager?

Could anyone tell me how the dair works, kind of looks like that stall-then-fall attack that I hate, I hope it isn't. Also, I'm guessing it must be really difficult to get the dual mechanic and grab to work.

Looks amazing though, the models look day way better than I'd ever imagine them too. They've come a long way. Great job to whoever did these.
Yeah I think Dair is the same as it was in Brawl, so it's the stall-then-fall attack but with less stall.

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
In this mod, the Ice Climber replaces Doctor Mario.
Are you sure? I didn't see Villager, and I remember them being mapped onto Villager originally. If they really do replace Doc, this is the gift that just keeps on giving.

Edit: Rewatched it, you're right!

Last edited:

Celestial EnZy

Smash Rookie
its ok my boi's, new mod came out replacing Dr.Mario with the Ice climbers, the import looks amazing, the grab animation is wonky, and her recovery is horrible (because nana is not there) but other than that she plays like you'd expect her too, mods have come a long way :D:popo::laugh:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Cool. Will there be variations that replace Lucina or Dark Pit?

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
My initial reaction to seeing the comment that said IC's replaced Doc was "holy ****, RnW must've learned how to mod"
Not a chance, lol. I don't have enough time to learn how to mod and then go and create one.

I wouldn't mind keeping the other 2 clones. Because they actually have separate personalities from their counterparts whereas Doc is just Mario in a lab coat. Whoop-de-flipping-do. But I'm not gonna get into that mess of a conversation again like on the older threads.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
https://twitter.com/NinMobileNews/status/869604951722532866

No Ice Climbers in the supposedly leaked screenshots, but could they be possible in this apparent port still?
It's worth bearing in mind that hacked Wii U consoles, and 3DS emulators that can upscale, make faking things like this even easier than ever before.

It's also worth pointing out, I think, that something like what's shown doesn't stack up with Bandai-Namco's "Smash 6" job-listing from April 2014 or with what they were hiring people for in that job-listing. (And I mention this because that happened three years ago - the same timeframe when Super Mario Odyssey began development, and when Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle is claimed to have started development. There seems to be a trend on show here for new games being made from the ground up within that timeframe.)

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Hey, did I leave the rest of you down lower on the mountain?

(Where is everyone?)

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Waiting on that new Smash game that's never coming apparently.
I honestly don't expect Smash Switch at E3 this year. It also depends on whether it's a port or not (I hope not). Cause if it's a port, I can see them announcing it at any random time. But if it's gonna be a brand new title, I think it almost has to be announced at E3 (either this year or next). Just my thoughts.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I honestly don't expect Smash Switch at E3 this year. It also depends on whether it's a port or not (I hope not). Cause if it's a port, I can see them announcing it at any random time. But if it's gonna be a brand new title, I think it almost has to be announced at E3 (either this year or next). Just my thoughts.
Yeah I mean, I wasn't really expecting it, but I wanted it, so this bums me out right now.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Yeah I mean, I wasn't really expecting it, but I wanted it, so this bums me out right now.
I hoped to see it, but didn't expect it, so the disappointment that it didn't show up was only very brief.

However, it's interesting to note that a very large electronics retailer (FNAC Spain) accidentally put up a placeholder listing for the game, and then removed it, a few days ago. I spent some time figuring out the listed EAN (International Article Number - basically a barcode-number), only to find that it seems to be an internal numbering system that's used across several other unreleased products on their site, as it isn't a proper Nintendo EAN. I found this quite interesting.

Lola Luftnagle

Banned via Warnings
Hey, y'all got room for another supporter? I have played a fair bit of :icsmelee: through the years and have tried my hand at their unique ATs. I've always wondered what their tier ranking would have been like in Smash 4 given the way grabbing has been reworked.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Hey, y'all got room for another supporter? I have played a fair bit of :icsmelee: through the years and have tried my hand at their unique ATs. I've always wondered what their tier ranking would have been like in Smash 4 given the way grabbing has been reworked.
I don't where they'd be, but they'd probably be able to chain grab even with the new mechanics simply because Smash 4 has footstools and footstools are jank with footstools Nana can theorietically break the chaingrab limit by footstooling out of grab, use anything that locks, then grab again.

Last edited:

Luminario

Smash Lord
I don't where they'd be, but they'd probably be able to chain grab even with the new mechanics simply because Smash 4 has footstools and footstools are jank with footstools Nana can theorietically break the chaingrab limit by footstooling out of grab, use anything that locks, then grab again.
Isn't that like super easy to fix though? They could just remove Nana's ability to footstool without Popo doing it as well. If there's any other ways to chain grab that the balancing team miss then they could easily be patched out too.

Last edited:

TheBeardedPunisher

Smash Ace
NNID
KEVMASTERX
3DS FC
1392-6560-1655
PSA: DO NOT UPDATE YOUR WII U!!! Nintendo recently released software update 5.5.2 which blocks the internet browser exploit commonly used for Smash mods. No mods means no Ice Climbers! Stay alert and make sure your system doesn't go beyond 5.5.1! Make sure your automatic downloads are disabled in the mean time.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
PSA: DO NOT UPDATE YOUR WII U!!! Nintendo recently released software update 5.5.2 which blocks the internet browser exploit commonly used for Smash mods. No mods means no Ice Climbers! Stay alert and make sure your system doesn't go beyond 5.5.1! Make sure your automatic downloads are disabled in the mean time.
I think it's too late for me.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Probably too late for me too.

And as much as I love ICies, mods are dumb anyways. I mean, all you really need to do to make me happy for Smash 5 is kill Doc and add in ICies, Wolf, Inkling, and an ARMS character. Literally if those 4 additions (and 1 removal) happened Smash 4 would've been perfect (granted ARMS came well after Smash 4, you get the point). And I think each of those characters have a 60% or more chance of appearing in Smash 5 anyways. I'll just wait for their inevitable return.

Last edited:

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Probably too late for me too.

And as much as I love ICies, mods are dumb anyways. I mean, all you really need to do to make me happy for Smash 5 is kill Doc and add in ICies, Wolf, Inkling, and an ARMS character. Literally if those 4 additions (and 1 removal) happened Smash 4 would've been perfect (granted ARMS came well after Smash 4, you get the point). And I think each of those characters have a 60% or more chance of appearing in Smash 5 anyways. I'll just wait for their inevitable return.
Mods are cool, I don't see the hate towards them. Very rarely do the have a PM to Brawl relationship where one is trying to replace another, most mods are just to add stuff to games to make them more interesting in the long run. Like GTA and Skyrim were fun, but they still after all this time have an active player base because of mods. Mods just add so much, I love em.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Mods are cool, I don't see the hate towards them. Very rarely do the have a PM to Brawl relationship where one is trying to replace another, most mods are just to add stuff to games to make them more interesting in the long run. Like GTA and Skyrim were fun, but they still after all this time have an active player base because of mods. Mods just add so much, I love em.
Everyone's entitled to their own opinion. You like them, fine. They're just not for me. I'd rather enjoy the game as it was meant to be played, and unfortunately in this case that means missing the ICies. (But it won't next time!!!)

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
They got R.O.B.bed? Ooh, I can't wait to see some sick cyborg incarnation of our favorite Inuit duo!
(But I do get what you actually meant ;))
As a R.O.B. main, this joke is overdone. Lol.

AnonymousMoon

Smash Lord
NNID
AnonynousMoon
3DS FC
0791-2743-3698
It'd be real cool if the Ice Climbers came back in the next installment.

I loved playing as them while I would be chilling with my friends.

Sakurai was really cold-hearted to have let them be cut.

I honestly want an official amiibo of
Them.

It's just ironic how a game that tries to combine the gameplay of Melee and Brawl cuts a character that was in both. Major bummer. I feel it must've affected Sakurai personally if he felt obligated to mention them.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
It'd be real cool if the Ice Climbers came back in the next installment.

I loved playing as them while I would be chilling with my friends.

Sakurai was really cold-hearted to have let them be cut.

I honestly want an official amiibo of
Them.

It's just ironic how a game that tries to combine the gameplay of Melee and Brawl cuts a character that was in both. Major bummer. I feel it must've affected Sakurai personally if he felt obligated to mention them.
You're a terrible person for making those puns. :p

I still think the 3DS version, overall, was a mistake. It took up a lot more development time than I think it should've and due to the limitations of the 3DS we lost the Climbers. It's also worth noting that we bat have lost Wolf because of the split versions as well. Time constraints and all could definitely have been made worse by the fact they were making two games at once.

Last edited:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
I still think the 3DS version, overall, was a mistake. It took up a lot more development time than I think it should've and due to the limitations of the 3DS we lost the Climbers.
Smash 3DS was the primary product (bear in mind that even now, the 3DS makes up more than 50% of Nintendo's business), and has sold close to double what Smash Wii U sold. Not making it wouldn't have changed how Smash Wii U sold, and Smash would've lost out further by losing relevance as a result of being restricted to a machine that the vast majority did not want. It probably had little to no effect on development time, since Smash 3DS and Smash Wii U share the same engine, which was clearly designed for easy portability from the off. (As an aside, as for Wolf, I'd imagine that the more likely cause for his removal was all the complaints about there being too many Star Fox characters in Brawl.)

Moreover, it's fairly clear that the pair partly acted as a test for a scalable engine, which the then-future hybrid console would obviously be needing to build upon, since it will have to do that scaling on one machine, not two. Smash 3DS definitely wasn't a mistake.

Personally, I got far more out of Smash 3DS (32272 matches/1156:42 hours to date for Smash 3DS, as opposed to 2125 matches/101:40 hours total on Smash Wii U, which I lost interest in because I don't have the time or inclination to fuss with being stuck in one place to play video games), since, like most people, I favour portable devices; The vast majority of all gaming, dedicated or not, revolves around portables. That's how the market is, and that's why Smash 3DS was so important for them to create. ;)

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Smash 3DS was the primary product (bear in mind that even now, the 3DS makes up more than 50% of Nintendo's business), and has sold close to double what Smash Wii U sold. Not making it wouldn't have changed how Smash Wii U sold, and Smash would've lost out further by losing relevance as a result of being restricted to a machine that the vast majority did not want.
I wouldn't say the 3DS version was the primary product considering it lacks many features that are in the Wii U version. I will agree with you that it was a good move in terms of sales.

I'm not arguing against it's sales as I'm sure they would have been weaker if it weren't for the 3DS version. I meant in terms of the restrictions brought in for the development team. Time, space, and power was in short supply while making the 3DS version this the reason we're missing out on multiple features that would have been included otherwise.
It probably had little to no effect on development time, since Smash 3DS and Smash Wii U share the same engine, which was clearly designed for easy portability from the off. (As an aside, as for Wolf, I'd imagine that the more likely cause for his removal was all the complaints about there being too many Star Fox characters in Brawl.)

Moreover, it's fairly clear that the pair partly acted as a test for a scalable engine, which the then-future hybrid console would obviously be needing to build upon, since it will have to do that scaling on one machine, not two. Smash 3DS definitely wasn't a mistake.
That's an interesting theory but I don't think the port from the 3DS to Wii U would be as smooth as you're making it out to be. Especially not as easy as it will be to theoretically port the game from Wii U to Switch. With the whole fact that the 3DS's resolution is a fraction of the Wii U some deep development had to go in to, at least, updating the models between the two games.

I don't think Wolf was cut for the sake of there being too manyy Star Fox characters honestly. Sakurai said it was time constraints. He also said that when DLC came around he didn't want to sell characters that were cut from the game for fear if people getting the wrong idea thus Lucas was the only one we got. Roy and Mewtwo had to be built from the ground up due to Melee being 'impossible' to port from.
Personally, I got far more out of Smash 3DS (32272 matches/1156:42 hours to date for Smash 3DS, as opposed to 2125 matches/101:40 hours total on Smash Wii U, which I lost interest in because I don't have the time or inclination to fuss with being stuck in one place to play video games), since, like most people, I favour portable devices; The vast majority of all gaming, dedicated or not, revolves around portables. That's how the market is, and that's why Smash 3DS was so important for them to create. ;)
I agree with you. I think portable gaming is far more popular in terms of the world market. Especially in Japan, their home country. I'm not saying the game was a mistake for them to make due to sales. I definitely think it was in the best business interest to make it. I'm saying in terms of development. It almost definitely put a strain on the development team having to split it's resources betwixt two games.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
I wouldn't say the 3DS version was the primary product considering it lacks many features that are in the Wii U version.
Well, Nintendo treated it as the primary version - the duo have always been promoted as "Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS & Wii U" and not the other way around, it was released first, it's had far more promotion in general, and it also has many features that Smash Wii U itself lacks, some of which are a lot better than what Smash Wii U offers - such as Smash Run instead of the execrable Smash Tour, and a Challenge board that was much less unreasonable than Smash Wii U's. One can also argue that the lack of facilities that can be misused to send rude messages in Smash 3DS is a superior feature to Smash Wii U, too. :laugh:

Moreover, Smash Wii U contains a number of misfeatures and inconsistencies (particularly in terms of the menus and what can and can't be used with the Wii U GamePad, such as some features, like name-inputs, but not other instances of the exact same feature in a different location, being touch-controlled) that were actually handled correctly in Smash 3DS - it felt a lot more rushed (and I'm sure we can both agree that both versions were rushed as it is :p).

I meant in terms of the restrictions brought in for the development team. Time, space, and power was in short supply while making the 3DS version this the reason we're missing out on multiple features that would have been included otherwise.
Oh, it definitely brought in some restrictions, but the majority would never have noticed that the features were there had Smash 3DS not existed, since they weren't going to buy Smash Wii U anyway (for me, Smash 3DS was the only reason that I bought Smash Wii U, but I didn't find Smash Wii U as good).

That's an interesting theory but I don't think the port from the 3DS to Wii U would be as smooth as you're making it out to be. Especially not as easy as it will be to theoretically port the game from Wii U to Switch. With the whole fact that the 3DS's resolution is a fraction of the Wii U some deep development had to go in to, at least, updating the models between the two games.
Smash Wii U drops the level-of-detail on models for 8 Man Smash as it is - as far as I can tell, it actually uses the same cuts as Smash 3DS does, there (the quickest example is Wii Fit Trainer's "thumbs-up" win-pose - the thumb is bent oddly in Smash 3DS and Smash Wii U's 8 Man Smash). I'm fairly sure it's not too difficult to drop some detail in order to use the same models across both games - I'm pretty sure that's what was done, even, looking at 8 Man Smash.

EDIT: Since the engine appears to be designed for this (it wouldn't've been possible to release the games as they were, otherwise), I imagine they would've just defined different compile-time conditions when building for the two pieces of hardware concerned.

As for porting from the Wii U to the Switch, the Wii U uses PowerPC for its architecture, whereas the 3DS and the Switch both use ARM, and moving from one ARM revision to another is, as far as I know, usually going to be the easier option. That said, the engine was self-evidently designed for easy porting in the first place - that's why the engine was movable between the 3DS and the Wii U so quickly, allowing for the two games to be developed more-or-less side-by-side, with the primary product being finished and released first, and the secondary one showing up within only a matter of months afterward.

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
First Link, now Mario. Heck, we should start a theory on why every Nintendo character is an Ice Climber.

(Also hate that they put Dr. Mario in here).

Last edited:
Top Bottom