• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Ice Climber Communitiy

What is Nana and Popo’s relationship?

• Close friends

Votes: 36 24.8%
  • Siblings

Votes: 66 45.5%
  • Lovers

Votes: 43 29.7%

• Total voters

AnonymousMoon

Smash Lord
NNID
AnonynousMoon
3DS FC
0791-2743-3698
I seen some people say they think people are overrating ICs chances in the port, but I'd be reeeeaaaaalllll surprised if they didn't show up.
I think some people have the mindset of "well, he was gone in this game so he'll probably be gone in the next" when it comes to vets without even thinking about the reason they were cut in the first place.

It's easy, for example, to say the Ice Climbers won't be in Smash Switch because they're irrelevant. That's lovely, but they weren't cut nor introduced for relevancy, so it's curious why they would suddenly be withheld because of that.

Last edited:

TheBeardedPunisher

Smash Ace
NNID
KEVMASTERX
3DS FC
1392-6560-1655
Now this makes me re-question the time period they once originated from.
Perhaps they used freeze preservation as a time travel mechanic. Though it makes it tough to figure out how they've made such adaptations between 1984 and 2001 while being frozen in ice resting. Such curious evolution traits these two have. Did they have a plan after 2008 maybe to grow in such a way to make even more of an impact this time around? With much more love and appreciation towards these characters now more than ever because of how they were re-established, perhaps this was their plan all along.

iAmMatt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mattgw420
Would be shocked if IC's didn't come back for smash switch. The only reason they were cut in sm4sh was 3ds system limitations, and with a brand new console coming out and no new handheld to go with it, why shouldn't they come back?

PF9

Smash Lord
Right now in my headcanons the ICs are mourning the death of Paul O'Neill one of the major forces behind one of their favorite bands the Trans-Siberian Orchestra.

That being said I'd love to see them return.

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Right now in my headcanons the ICs are mourning the death of Paul O'Neill one of the major forces behind one of their favorite bands the Trans-Siberian Orchestra.

That's kinda weird, but I can dig it. Welcome to the group!

Last edited:

lady_sky skipper

Smash Ace

Cool headcanon, have any more?

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
When my fiancée learned the Ice Climbers went AWOL in Smash 4, she started crying for quite some time. I think it's time they come back.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
When my fiancée learned the Ice Climbers went AWOL in Smash 4, she started crying for quite some time. I think it's time they come back.
Is she the one who cried when she found out swans can be gay? (look it up if you don't get it)

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I dont even know what the joke is all about even after looking it up, bub.

It's a reddit/imgur thing. Guy makes a list about why his wife is crying, one of the things listed was "that swans can be gay". Your lady crying over Ice Climbers reminded me of it as it sounds like something that would've been on that list.

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
It's a reddit/imgur thing. Guy makes a list about why his wife is crying, one of the things listed was "that swans can be gay". Your lady crying over Ice Climbers reminded me of it as it sounds like something that would've been on that list.
Now I'm crying too.

From laughter :laugh:. Thanks for sharing that, I needed it, though I almost woke my folks...

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
So glad to see these guys have a thread.

This tragedy has to be corrected. It left a blemish on Smash 4 for real. I love Smash 4, but they always seem to be the one missing piece for me.

Wolley2xjd

Banned via Administration
I think Solo Popo with Nana with has an alt would be the best idea in my mind, all they would really need to do is-
-Make Nana an alt.
-Buff some of there moves.
-Replace their Up B.
-Give Nana an dark skin alt because Smash has no Black People
-An Amiibo of Both of them.

Any opinions?

I think Solo Popo with Nana with has an alt would be the best idea in my mind, all they would really need to do is-
-Make Nana an alt.
-Replace their Up B.

Any opinions?
No offence, but I don't think it's a good idea. That would be taking away what got them into Smash in the first place.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
-Make Nana an alt.
-Replace their Up B.

Any opinions?
Honestly, no thanks.

The reason they were unique is because of their duel character mechanic. You either bring them back that way or not at all.

Wolley2xjd

No offence, but I don't think it's a good idea. That would be taking away what got them into Smash in the first place.
Did anyone on the development team say that was the only reason they got into Melee?

Honestly, no thanks.

The reason they were unique is because of their duel character mechanic. You either bring them back that way or not at all.
Well it's still possible to make them unique with out them together all the time, I mean not many fighter in Smash has ice based attacks.

Last edited:
Did anyone on the development team say that was the only reason they got into Melee?
Sakurai has mentioned the idea as one of the reasons for inclusion, although the main reason was wanting a famicom rep, but the duo seems to be the reason they were chosen over other famicom choices.
I often have people asking me, “why did you choose the Ice Climbers?”

First off, we wanted a single representative from the characters that originated from the Famicom! After that was decided, we made our pick by process of elimination.
Also, in character selection, whether they have “things only that character can do” is important.

With the Ice Climbers, we thought it’s interesting to translate that game’s simultaneous 2-player play to having both characters move simultaneously here, so that’s how they joined in.
source:
http://sourcegaming.info/2015/09/09/meleeiceclimbersite/

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312

Well it's still possible to make them unique with out them together all the time, I mean not many fighter in Smash has ice based attacks.
Sakurai. His idea for having them as a duo was the basis for their moveset and the reason he chose them over other retro characters he was considering like Takamaru, an Excite Biker, Ayumi, etc.

EDIT: :4greninja:'d by Zebei

Last edited:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Sakurai has mentioned the idea as one of the reasons for inclusion, although the main reason was wanting a famicom rep, but the duo seems to be the reason they were chosen over other famicom choices.

source:
Sakurai. His idea for having them as a duo was the basis for their moveset and the reason he chose them over other retro characters he was considering like Takamaru, an Excite Biker, Ayumi, etc.

Here's some footage from the two-player mode of Ice Climber to go with that;

It's not difficult to see how it inspired their Smash appearance.

Maybe so, but it seems that they're more about the "Climbers" than they are about the "Ice". ;)

Wolley2xjd

source:
Alright however I still stand by my idea anyway.

I still don't understand why Takamaru wasn't a Fighter in Smash 4, I mean the guys a freaking Samurai, A SAMURAI!

Plus Power Rangers Samurai was currently airing when in came out so he totally be popular with kids and adults.

Here's some footage from the two-player mode of Ice Climber to go with that;

It's not difficult to see how it inspired their Smash appearance.

Maybe so, but it seems that they're more about the "Climbers" than they are about the "Ice". ;)
Well I think you all need to chill out. :101:

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
-Make Nana an alt.
-Replace their Up B.

Any opinions?
Smash has no Black people?

You're going to catch a lot of flack for this, but honestly I don't mind it (outside of the pandering alt costume idea you got there). I enjoy the ice-bending, mallet-wielding characters regardless if they're together or not. If this happened, I'd be fine.

Wolley2xjd

Smash has no Black people?

You're going to catch a lot of flack for this, but honestly I don't mind it (outside of the pandering alt costume idea you got there). I enjoy the ice-bending, mallet-wielding characters regardless if they're together or not. If this happened, I'd be fine.
So whats your problem with the "Pandering Alt costume" mate.

Luminario

Smash Lord
-Make Nana an alt.
-Replace their Up B.

Any opinions?
While I really don't like the idea of ICs ever going solo as fighting together is their entire gimmick, I'm liking the idea of giving either their default look or an alt darker skin. Characters like Villager and Inklings are likely to get different shades of skin colour in the next game anyway, but I'd rather the ICs just get redesigned with darker skin across all their palettes.

Wolley2xjd

While I really don't like the idea of ICs ever going solo as fighting together is their entire gimmick, I'm liking the idea of giving either their default look or an alt darker skin. Characters like Villager and Inklings are likely to get different shades of skin colour in the next game anyway, but I'd rather the ICs just get redesigned with darker skin across all their palettes.
I would love to see both of them get redesigns, mainly because I kinda want a new ice climber game kinda like what happened with Pit and the Kid Icarus series.

Now here's a good question, if the Ice Climbers do get a new game, what type of style would you guys want it to be like?

I personally think an Action RPG would be pretty fun.

Luminario

Smash Lord
I would love to see both of them get redesigns, mainly because I kinda want a new ice climber game kinda like what happened with Pit and the Kid Icarus series.

Now here's a good question, if the Ice Climbers do get a new game, what type of style would you guys want it to be like?

Their outfits in Smash aren't nearly as outdated as Pit's was though, so I'd like to see those parkas remain somewhat the same.
I'd say an IC reboot would likely be an explorer platformer with a lot of breaking blocks and jumping, seeing as how KI:U essentially took the platforming concept with shooting arrows for the original KI and expanded on it immensely, so other retro reboots would likely do the same with their own concepts.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
So whats your problem with the "Pandering Alt costume" mate.
I'm a firm believer that you shouldn't change a character's race/gender/species/etc... just to pretend to represent some previously unrepresented demographic. It's lazy. I would like to have a prominent black character, but I don't think adding them shamelessly as a costume of another is the way to go; I would like to see new characters given diversity from the get-go, not old characters being retconned for the hell of it.

Besides, currently Inklings are a top choice and have some different colored alts, so I think there's a good chance we will see black characters in the next Smash.

Inb4 warnings for off-topic discussion or something else stupid.

Last edited:

Wolley2xjd

I'm a firm believer that you shouldn't change a character's race/gender/species/etc... just to pretend to represent some previously unrepresented demographic. It's lazy. I would like to have a prominent black character, but I don't think adding them shamelessly as a costume of another is the way to go; I would like to see new characters given diversity from the get-go, not old characters being retconned for the hell of it.

Besides, currently Inklings are a top choice and have some different colored alts, so I think there's a good chance we will see black characters in the next Smash.

Inb4 warnings for off-topic discussion or something else stupid.
So having alt that you can choose not to use is a bad thing? It's not like I said they should make the out right black but your acting like I did, I don't see how it's pandering or "shameless" and yeah I would like to more dark skinned fighters but that maybe unlikely to happen and even if we did it would might end up only being one since I can only think of 3 who could be fighters.

Plus Inkling having different colored is basically the same thing unless your going to pull the "They have that choice to be that color in the own game" card which is unfair to compare the two at all.

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Can we please not derail the thread with a race argument?

I'm just going to suggest what I posted in the general speculation thread.

Custom color slots like KOFXIII. Change whatever colors you want. Skin tone, hair color, clothing sets (i.e. change Mario's red cap & shirt to "x color" and his blue overalls to "y color".) (Example: Make a PKSparkxx color swap for Mario :p) This would definitely save modders a lot of time/work as anyone would be able to create custom colors with ease.

Inklings will definitely have multiple skin tones as they already do in Splatoon. The Villager will possibly be next in to receive those in Animal Crossing, I'm actually surprised they haven't done it yet given that it's the same team. Though Splatoon came after so it's likely that's the first game where they finally thought to do it.

Overall having alts with adjusted skin tones is fine imo, other fighting games have been doing it for ages. If they were actually overhauling a character for the sake of it then yes, I'd be in Zesty's camp. I'd rather they utilize existing characters and push them to the forefront or make new ones.

In short Doc Louis for Smash.

That's not a joke btw, Doc is genuinely one of my favorite Nintendo characters. I want a Punch-Out game where he and Mac meet for the first time. Doc recounts his own career to a rookie Mac, and the entire game takes place in flashback sequences of Doc in his prime back when he was on the road to becoming world champion.

As for an Ice Climbers reboot, I'd be fine an updated version of the classic Ice Climber as an e-shop title. New levels, enemies, some new gameplay elements, but generally speaking, keeping the same arcade style feel.

If we're going the full distance like with KIU, then I'd like a 3D platformer with emphasis on vertical/tall worlds for the Icies to actually "climb" so to speak.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
The Villager will possibly be next in to receive those in Animal Crossing, I'm actually surprised they haven't done it yet given that it's the same team.
It was implemented in Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer. ;)

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Ah, thanks for the heads up! Didn't bother with HHD, but's it good to know they've updated customization a bit more.
No problem! It was one feature in HHD that didn't get rolled back into the Welcome Amiibo update for Animal Crossing: New Leaf, alongside half-spaced furniture-placement. I'm sure that both will be added to the next mainline game.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021

A side scrolling eshop RPG platformer would do.

Wolley2xjd

I would like a game where their to married adults climbing a mountain which is a metaphor dealing with the struggles of being married.

And at the end of the of the game, they renew their vows. :love:

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
On the topic of an Ice Climber reboot, I'd really like to see them go all out (never going to happen but still). I've mentioned on past Ice Climber threads a few times that I'd love to see a big co-op adventure/platformer.
Playing BotW made me realize how little is done in the icy terrain, it's practically undiscovered territory in gaming, and I'd like to see more of it.

I think a Spelunky-type game, or even a Journey-type game could do the Ice Climbers well, too. Really there's a lot of ways that franchise could go, if they ever attempt to rediscover it.

That being said with the giant list of games that need to be addressed, I'm not holding my breath.

Kirbeh Kirbeh I had a similar idea for costumes, and I really like it, but someone brought up that there may be legal issues or whatever, especially with 3rd parties. Don't know if it's true or not, but letting people make their own costumes seems like a no-brainer to me, so I'm guessing there's something there stopping it.

Top Bottom