• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Common Mistakes in Online

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Read a list that made me wanna ask. Hopefully this thread will become helpful. What mistakes do you often see and/or make when playing online?

Mistakes I make:
- I often find myself playing almost completely offensively, focusing on racking up damage and KOing, resulting in me getting blindsided due to my impatience.

- When fighting, my eyes are always on my character or the whole screen, never on my opponent(s), due to fear of screwing up.

- When I get tilted, I tend to continue playing to get sweet revenge for losing so badly. This rarely succeeds.

- I tend to blame my losses on character choice, by myself and my opponent(s).

Mistakes I see:
- I love it when I KO players who don't fully utilize air dodging.

- That's it really.

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
Blaming your loses on character choice and not your opponent outplaying you is a very fatal flaw that will never let you improve. There’s very few times you’ll get a super lopsided matchup online especially at the online level of play. Also the other big one (that I do too sometimes but have actively been noticing and correcting it) is not watching your opponent and hyper focusing on yourself

I bet if you fix those two things your winrate will go way up. Also never play on tilt but you already know that. Wait a half hour or so

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
Mistakes I make:
  • I face the wrong way when attacking here and there because I tend to get hyper focused on my opponent.
  • I tend to go for cool stuff even when it's risky, because who doesn't like getting a sweet kill? I would probably win a lot more if I did less of this and just went for optimal things, but I just can't help myself.
  • I challenge attacks I shouldn't even think about challenging, but this ties into the previous bullet. Sometimes my overzealousness gets the best of me.
Mistakes I see:
  • People trying to utilize tech that they don't know how to implement and overextend themselves. Like if you're a tech master but awful in neutral, I win every time, no matter how many times you waveland around those platforms.
  • Still rolling around constantly like it's Smash 4 or Brawl

Oneiros5321

Smash Apprentice
Mistakes I make =

- I tend to get too offensive whenever I feel confident in my win...which actually leads me to screw up
- I play kind of autopilot sometimes. I see the opponent pattern, I know what he's going to do, I know what I need to do to punish. But my hands do something else smh
- I get tilted easily. Not for a loss, but if I get a single laggy match, I get really annoyed and become impatient. It carries through the next matches, wether there's lag or not, and I end up in a lose streak.
- I need to stop trying to get the forward aerial with Mario =')

Mistake I see =

- People t-bagging after one KO. Really, don't do that, it can be all your opponent need to get the strength and commitment to destroy you.
- Lots of people don't mix up enough. I may have a hard time finding the right option to punish a move, but one thing I do is saying out loud what the opponent is doing after a tech of at the ledge or things like that. It makes me realize that a lot of people are repeating the same option all the time, always air dodging in the same direction or choose the same ledge option.
- Using roll as a primary movement option

D

Deleted member

- People t-bagging after one KO. Really, don't do that, it can be all your opponent need to get the strength and commitment to destroy you.
Thank you for saying this! This puts me on tilt so much, but it actually worsens my game.

ALiBi212

Smash Cadet
NNID
ALiBi212
Big mistake I make:
- Teabagging after the first kill. And the second.... and when I get killed... and mid match.

Big mistake lots of people make:
- Using quicklplay to find a match instead of Background Matchmaking (aka the way online matchmaking should be).

D

Deleted member

Big mistake I make:
- Teabagging after the first kill. And the second.... and when I get killed... and mid match.

- Using quicklplay to find a match instead of Background Matchmaking (aka the way online matchmaking should be).
What's wrong with quickplay?

Mikazuki

Smash Cadet
I challenge attacks I shouldn't even think about challenging, but this ties into the previous bullet. Sometimes my overzealousness gets the best of me
Me everytime vs Ganon's or Dedede's side smash.

Needless agressiveness and autopilot mode after losing a stock are probably the biggest habits and mistakes I see online. Take a deep breath and tell yourself that you still can beat him instead of going for the buns and getting punished. Well, easier said than done though, especially after a losing streak or if the opponent is teabagging you...

Oneiros5321

Smash Apprentice
Is there a difference between Quickplay and background matchmaking?
I think the only difference is that instead of waiting in the lobby, you go play another mode. Most of the time I don't even have time to leave the menu before the game find a match and I haven't seen any difference with quickplay.

ALiBi212

Smash Cadet
NNID
ALiBi212
What's wrong with quickplay?
Quickplay puts a lot of emphasis on the “quick” part. The main goal of quick play is to get you in a match ASAP. That’s why a lot of people get placed in matches that aren’t their preferred rules.

Background Matchmaking, on the other hand, prioritizes your preferred rules. It takes a minute longer to find a match, but you almost always get the ruleset you want. No more FFA’s when looking for 1v1’s. :)

D

Deleted member

Me everytime vs Ganon's or Dedede's side smash.

Needless agressiveness and autopilot mode after losing a stock are probably the biggest habits and mistakes I see online. Take a deep breath and tell yourself that you still can beat him instead of going for the buns and getting punished. Well, easier said than done though, especially after a losing streak or if the opponent is teabagging you...
Correction: Ganondorf and King Dedede in general, as well as every heavy.

Needless aggressiveness is needless, but I find playing defensively hinders me because grabs exists, even if you dodge.

Madison Turner

Smash Cadet
Mistakes I make playing online:

- If there's significantly more input delay for a match, I'll often mistakenly miss the banana when going for an instant grab when it's on a platform and will air dodge instead and miss it completely, usually putting me in a vulnerable spot without a banana (I play Diddy).

- Air dodging off stage when going for an instant banana grab (regardless of input delay) and accidentally SDing.

- Going for a low monkey flip on to the stage after I already know that they know that I'm going to do that and I get supremely punished for it.

Mistakes I see playing online:

- Rematching a player over and over who is making an obvious mistake and is getting punished for it every time (for instance, rolling backwards every single time they're knocked down), but due to being quickplay and having no way to communicate, you can't point it out.

- Players who leave after winning their first match. Rematching is good, and gives you better practice at adapting to people who are adapting to you.

- Not using a wired connection. I was using wi-fi for a little while and thought it was fine, but after buying a cheap ethernet thing, it's night and day, and you typically have a good idea when your opponent is using wi-fi (though there's always the possibility that it's just the server connection or the distance between the two players, so you can't immediately just blame your opponent).

Last edited:

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
My play changes when I get down a full stock or two sometimes and I’ll try to bait out crazy options like PK Thunder 2 or start swinging my baseball bat. This especially happens after an SD when I think I’m the “better” player

Sometimes I will hit those moves and win those games but a lot of times if I played smart and patiently (I’m gonna play aggressive anyway cause that’s my playstyle) I could win a lot more of those games. Especially the games where I SD and actually am better than my opponent

Last edited:

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
My play changes when I get down a full stock or two sometimes and I’ll try to bait out crazy options like PK Thunder 2 or start swinging my baseball bat. This especially happens after an SD when I think I’m the “better” player

Sometimes I will hit those moves and win those games but a lot of times if I played smart and patiently (I’m gonna play aggressive anyway cause that’s my playstyle) I could win a lot more of those games. Especially the games where I SD and actually am better than my opponent
I have the opposite problem of getting super-cautious on my last stock, not bothering to do things that put me in danger, such as edgeguarding.

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
I have the opposite problem of getting super-cautious on my last stock, not bothering to do things that put me in danger, such as edgeguarding.
Yeah I guess you’ve gotta be somewhere in the middle ground. When I’m playing my best I’m taking risks and playing aggressive on my last stock but I’m taking calculated risks. Playing definesively especially with Ness will get you bodied real quick imo

Oneiros5321

Smash Apprentice
Quickplay puts a lot of emphasis on the “quick” part. The main goal of quick play is to get you in a match ASAP. That’s why a lot of people get placed in matches that aren’t their preferred rules.

Background Matchmaking, on the other hand, prioritizes your preferred rules. It takes a minute longer to find a match, but you almost always get the ruleset you want. No more FFA’s when looking for 1v1’s. :)
So, I just tried Background Matchmaking. Out of 6 matches, 1 was with item and random stage, another one with just random stage, and the 4 other were battlefield.

So, didn't get my ruleset a single time. I don't think it makes any difference to use Background matchmaking.
Also, it's not longer, the only difference I noticed is that I skip the 30 seconds waiting in the lobby. And it takes roughly 30 seconds to tell me it finds a match, so all it does is skipping the lobby basically.

Xquirtle

Smash Journeyman
I used to be ridiculously overly emotional with online games, especially in smash 4 when i was just awful. Smash just has a way of grinding you down mentally. About a year ago, i broke my leg and was on my ass for 4 months, but i had a gamecube controller, adapter, and my laptop. After a few hundred hours of grinding melee tech to keep my sanity, I've found that I am much more competent at smash ultimate. Still had a bad attitude, but i was winning well over 50% now so at least i didn't have losing streaks driving me nuts. Anyway, i recently decided to fix the attitude since its just asinine to lose games due to going on tilt.

Things that I used to do:
-Get frustrated and stop thinking about what I'm doing and what I can change to overcome whatever the opponent is doing
-Try to force my own offense and play style, get abused for it, and then get upset that I'm losing (defense is just kinda king online)
-Get frustrated at obnoxious campy play styles just because they are obnoxious and campy, and then play worse
-Get super annoyed with rule sets, especially jank stages or hugely abusive rules / character combos
-Get frustrated with lag and how I "can't play my character correctly"
-Suicide to escape from all of the above situations to get a new opponent faster

Changes that I made:
-My home base is to take a deep breath and refocus on my habits and their habits
-Channel my frustration into productive decision making with the end goal of winning at all costs. I will be just as campy and annoying if they can't deal with my laser (i main Wolf). I don't rely on camping, which just makes it way more potent when i do need it b/c im practiced at going in and being aggressive
-Never, ever give up or end a game early. The practice is good and you WILL WIN games that you thought you have lost
-PRACTICE. Even when I'm being lazy watching JRE on youtube, i sit in training mode and practice movement and aerials. Particularly, all variants of short hop fast fall aerials. Rising, falling, back wards spacing, forward, etc. This made a MASSIVE difference in my online performance in a very short time. Go on youtube, look up Izaw, sub to him because his content is incredible, and watch his 5 training videos. They are THE BEST content that we have for this game.

Result:
The very first game after I sat down and promised myself to change my attitude, I found a win that I would NEVER have gotten before. It was against a Ness, and he was better than me. Ness usually triggers me since PK spam is not exactly fun to play against. I botched a recovery and fell down 3 stocks to 1, found a bair read to bring it to 2 to 1, and started camping my laser pretty hard. We had a mini game of the magnet thing vs laser going on, and I used this to try and bait his magnet. Anyway, I end up bringing it to final stock, but I'm way behind on %. A few combos later, hes mid percent and I get a ftilt to knock him off stage. Far enough that he needs to recover. He botches it and I win.

I would have never won that game without changing my mindset. It was off of his mistake, but you've got to play for those and force the other guy to earn his win over you. I know its just an online rando match, but that win over that Ness was exhilarating and I walked away knowing that the only reason that I got that W was that I stayed in the game and found a way.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom