• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"common knowledge" that a lot of people don't know

MCSR

Smash Apprentice
If your playing Jiggs on FoD, and her eyes are closed, in her reflection they're open(When resting, not sure about other stuff)
The most awesome KO achievable is Knee to reverse Falcon Punch under the lip of FD.

BunBun

Smash Master
-Roy's usmash has the potential to meteor opponents. You have to hit with the tip of hilt of his sword.
It's only at the beginning, and you can't have any other hitbox hit afterwards. The idea is that the first hit or two drags the enemy down into the rest of the upsmash.

L__

Smash Master
If your playing Jiggs on FoD, and her eyes are closed, in her reflection they're open(When resting, not sure about other stuff)
The most awesome KO achievable is Knee to reverse Falcon Punch under the lip of FD.
Can we not post "awesome KOs" or things that have already been posted?

[e.g. the Jiggs info]

xbombr

Smash Ace
I'm sure everyone knows this....
I know a few people that didn't until really recently. It's not really surprising though since we don't use Jiggz much and shield breaking is pretty uncommon to begin with, especially with a character that spends 90% of the game in the air abusing an amazing aerial game.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
If you're doing an attack on brinstar while grounded and you hit a shield and your character goes off the stage mid attack without landing again when you hit the acid it will send you downwards instead of up.

An easy way to see this is to pick Marth and any character. Have the Marth player roll to the outer edge of one of the platforms player's shield (you don't have to break their shield or anything, it's just so that Marth gets pushed off the level while attacking) When he falls into the lava....you'll see what I'm talking about. I'm not sure, but I think this works with up Bs to. It SHOULD work with any action that can be started on the ground and continues in midair.

Stev

Smash Ace
If you full hop w/ falcon yoshi's, you won't land on the top platform. But if you full hop nair, you'll land in between kicks. The same applies with his short hop going from the side to top platform

xbombr

Smash Ace
Samus can grapple downthrow chaingrab Captain Falcon starting at 220%. The timing for the running grapple sucks if they DI away, but it's possible.

I expect Samus to move up a tier now.

TresChikon

Smash Lord
If you're doing an attack on brinstar while grounded and you hit a shield and your character goes off the stage mid attack without landing again when you hit the acid it will send you downwards instead of up.

An easy way to see this is to pick Marth and any character. Have the Marth player roll to the outer edge of one of the platforms player's shield (you don't have to break their shield or anything, it's just so that Marth gets pushed off the level while attacking) When he falls into the lava....you'll see what I'm talking about. I'm not sure, but I think this works with up Bs to. It SHOULD work with any action that can be started on the ground and continues in midair.
That seems like an effect of the invisible ceiling glitch.

Having an attacked blocked and hit right after usually causes the glitch and your set-up matches the criteria pretty well.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero

Having an attacked blocked and hit right after usually causes the glitch and your set-up matches the criteria pretty well.
It's not really an invisible ceiling. The lava itself spikes you down. Unlike with the invisible ceiling glitch, your character does not change trajectories mid flight. They mearly get spiked down to start with. They also get spiked down REPEATEDLY (you WILL die, no doubt about it), rather than only experiencing the glitch once.

Another difference is that this happens even if your attack is already over when you hit the lava. It's more like your character is "jacketed" and the only way to reset the jacket is to land on the stage again (that's right, even if you get hit after doing your attack, you'll still be spiked by the lava if you haven't landed on the stage yet).

Magus420

Smash Master
It's not really an invisible ceiling. The lava itself spikes you down. Unlike with the invisible ceiling glitch, your character does not change trajectories mid flight. They mearly get spiked down to start with.
You sure it spikes you down? I would think it just negates the vertical part of the KB at a given time (in this case at the start of KB), and you're simply falling downward though the acid which is just like the ICG.

ICG doesn't necessarily happen mid-flight either. I remember being able to get Luigi to 'hit the ceiling' at different points in the KB (including the moment he was launched) by counterattacking OoS at different times. I believe the sharp change in flight path on an ICG that triggers mid flight is just a result of canceling upward momentum while your fall speed has already gotten to accelerate. If it activates from the start, you begin from a freefall before accelerating up to speed.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
It's possible, but it really just doesn't look the same as what I typically think of as the invisible ceiling. Isn't it also odd that the glitch doesn't have to be triggered immediately after hitting the opponent's shield? And how you get hit by the acid repeatedly, yet none of them launch you at the normal trajectory?

Perhaps this is just an unexplored portion of the ICG itself (after all, has anyone tested to see if you can get multiple ICGs before landing on the ground again?)

And I don't agree with your theory on ICG mearly negating vertical momentum. Maybe it's just my imagination, but I recall seeing characters sent downward far faster than their own terminal velocities when triggering the glitch on...Roy's counter (or maybe Marth's max fall speed is just faster than I give credit for <_<)

The Irish Mafia

Banned via Administration
If you start a match as zelda and transform to sheik and win the match, the announcer says "this game's winner is Zelda", as oppose to shiek. Crazy.
Also, peach can do a nair and float cancel it quickly enough so she can jab the opponent before they get too far away. I can do it pretty well at mid-percents.

TheLake

Smash Master
You can go under the ship in rainbow cruise with zelda

and reach the other side!

"Sooomewhere under the raiiinbow!"

Magus420

Smash Master
It's possible, but it really just doesn't look the same as what I typically think of as the invisible ceiling. Isn't it also odd that the glitch doesn't have to be triggered immediately after hitting the opponent's shield? And how you get hit by the acid repeatedly, yet none of them launch you at the normal trajectory?

Perhaps this is just an unexplored portion of the ICG itself (after all, has anyone tested to see if you can get multiple ICGs before landing on the ground again?)

And I don't agree with your theory on ICG mearly negating vertical momentum. Maybe it's just my imagination, but I recall seeing characters sent downward far faster than their own terminal velocities when triggering the glitch on...Roy's counter (or maybe Marth's max fall speed is just faster than I give credit for <_<)
All the hits technically do launch you at the normal trajectory, just that trajectory is entirely straight up. Since you can't go up/down from KB because that part is canceled out you are sent nowhere if you don't DI it and just fall downwards while in hitstun.

You can easily do the same thing on the stage with their up-bs by hitting them OoS with a vertical launcher like CF's stomp. If you get the meteor hit and don't DI it they just sit there and fall to the floor from a standstill. If you get the spike hit which sends slightly outwards or DI the hit, they'll do the same except drift to the side since there's some horizontal KB which remains.

You can DI the acid the same way and drift to a side while falling. If you instead set yourself to 999% (using Luigi is a good example), you can begin from the left side of the screen and DI to the right to actually die off the right blast zone before dying off the bottom or alternate DI from left to right to fling yourself from one side of the screen to the other as you fall through the acid and slowly make your way down towards the bottom. Instead of the KB at that percent when DI'd having you fly upwards at light speed but also very fast to the right/left, it causes you to only go very fast to the right/left while not going up at all. It certainly does not spike you by any means. It's the ICG doing its thing as usual, and any downward movement is just a result of your own fall speed.

You can also get the acid glitch to do the familiar rebound effect mid flight like most ICGs that happen if the acid rises and hits you shortly after hitting the shield when setting up the 'acid glitch'.

Yes, you can be affected by the ICG multiple times before landing.

I'm pretty certain the ICG is related to the horizontal 'knockback' you get when hitting a shield or other kinds of defensive collisions (counter), and the glitch takes effect (canceling out vertical KB) somewhere near or when the pushback would end with the normal window ending then as well.

If that's true about the window that's probably why it happens so much more frequently against Luigi. On the moves of his that push him back when hitting a shield the windows are HUGE compared to other characters and attacks with less pushback. The window on his d-smash is even longer than the d-smash itself. You can actually d-smash and then jump up into the air afterwards before the window ends, especially with the back hit since there's less lag afterwards.

Leaving the ground before the window is over prevents it from ending. If you up-b into the air from the ground, slip off the edge from the pushback, jump into the air or run offstage after the attack ends (wtf Luigi), or are hit into the air within the normal window it stays with you and will eliminate any vertical KB you already have or receive starting from the moment it 'activates' when the normal window would have ended until you touch the ground or grab an edge (maybe other stuff too).

Also yes, Marth's max fall speed really is that fast =P

VA

Smash Hero
If you start a match as zelda and transform to sheik and win the match, the announcer says "this game's winner is Zelda", as oppose to shiek. Crazy.
Also, peach can do a nair and float cancel it quickly enough so she can jab the opponent before they get too far away. I can do it pretty well at mid-percents.
second part is ezzzzzzeeeee

Lovage

Smash Hero
magus - make some gifs of that stuff

you can fall from the spawning platform by hitting the taunt button.

Zodiac

Smash Master

Hmm, this technique is also known as ROCKET CANCELING! You need to input frame perfect di with both the control stick and the c-stick 589.2 times right before you hit the point were the4 invisible ceiling would be and boom! you've rocket canceled, unfortunately its impossible to do without action replay, or unless your a robot.

keeper

Smash Champion
I think jiggs has to be on the ground. Also works on yoshi's and FoD i think
Reverse Blazer works on tons of stages to kill Jiggs and is easiest to do on the ground, though I've had it work off ground a couple times (albeit on CPUs).

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
^ i think you're in the wrong thread. You're looking for the one called "common knowledge that anyone who has ever played any game in the series knows"

DippnDots

Feral Youth
R-Wing on Corneria can still kill you even if you're in the 'angelic' state, or the spawning platform as it's already been described, just from flying under you such that your feet get read on its surface and thus you are removed from the spawning platform and flown away to death :O

Meme

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
6939 6733 3968
Reverse Blazer works on the air too, aside from jiggly other light characters can be KO'd, depending on the height (for Example, the mountain or even the mid part of the windmill on Pokemon Stadium) and of course and damage.

Also Jiggly can avoid this by DI'ing into the Blazer as if following Roy.

And I don't know if it's been said yet, but you can get the extender grapple of samus easier by Jumping and inputting the commands for it. Most of the times takes me one try besides that being sort of "safer" if there are plataforms to jump on to.

DippnDots

Feral Youth
The way spaceballs gets his extender out (that sounds really dirty) is the most efficient, safe, and unnoticeable i've seen any samus do it. Unfortunately, it's so pro that I can't understand what's happening. My memorys fuzzy and all but i could swear he barely began the grab animation in the air with samus, canceled it somehow, but still had the extender on the next grab.

ihavespaceblondes

Smash Master
The way spaceballs gets his extender out (that sounds really dirty) is the most efficient, safe, and unnoticeable i've seen any samus do it. Unfortunately, it's so pro that I can't understand what's happening. My memorys fuzzy and all but i could swear he barely began the grab animation in the air with samus, canceled it somehow, but still had the extender on the next grab.
...what? I just jump and do it. That's been pretty standard for a while.

Proverbs

Smash Lord
^I think if it was frame perfect you could d-air. I know if you wavedash off the edge and then double jump and d-air at the same time, you'll grab the ledge, at least.

Top Bottom