• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Coming Right Back At Ya: Kirby for Smash Switch discussion

TimG57867

Smash Ace
I appreciate the data, but I'd be wary about everything remaining the same all the way towards release.
Oh trust me I am not acting like this is final but it’s good to know what areas are being fiddled with and if it’s for the better or worse.

UnknownJ25

Smash Journeyman
I don't know why but i really don't like his final smash, mainly just because it was something that appeared in one Game, whilst something like Cook has been in Multiple games, makes sense though, i guess.
Yeah I feel the same. I wish he had something like the Crash or Mic abilities or even though it was only in one game the Robobot or Hypernova

KirbyMain64

Smash Rookie
NNID
YokaiWatch2BS999
3DS FC
3196-8123-7677
Switch FC
SW 6476-7893-3978
Even if Kirby is nerfed in smash ultimate I'm still going to destroy with Kirby:ultkirby::kirbymelee::kirby2::4kirby::kirby64:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483

PushBlockGaming be hinting that Kirby's apparently still low-tier in this game, incase he's gonna be the subject of his next analysis video. Thoughts?

Last edited:

MrGameguycolor

Smash Lord
NNID
MrGameguycolor
Switch FC
7681-9716-5789

PushBlockGaming be hinting that Kirby's apparently still low-tier in this game, incase he's gonna be the subject of his next analysis video. Thoughts?
His analysis are pretty well made I admit.
Though the attempts of "jokes" he throws in make it hard to watch sometimes.
If he tones it down on the "dank memes", I may give it a listen.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
So far I haven’t been concerned about tiers until the game release, but I have to admit I don’t want Kirby to be underplayed due to repetitive gameplay like in Brawl and Smash WIIU.

Nebunera

Smash Apprentice
Kirby is probably going to be low tier in Smash Bros Ultimate, but I could really careless because I never had a problem with him.

All I really wanted was his old dash attack which is a reality now.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I actually wouldn't be surprised if Kirby ended up higher tier than nerfed characters like Fox, since they gave him a much more usable toolkit. And you can't SDI out of dash attack, which true combos out of own tilt. So Kirby has some new combos that really help in the neutral game.

CryoGX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CryoGX
That is definitely either the spirit or the PvE mode giving the CPUs higher knockback ratios (similar to multi-man smash). That killed Metal Mario at 74% and regular Mario at 60%.

If Kirby had anything that strong normally I feel like we'd all be up in flames of hype rn and Smash tube would be publishing clickbait left and right, but from what I've heard is still can be used to kill now, just not this unbelievably early. He'd also leap up the tier list from dash attack alone in that case.

TimG57867

Smash Ace
This gold was posted in Discord yesterday:

https://twitter.com/bakagotchi/status/1068495100064555010

I think we can consider this a small preview of what Kirby's combo game will look like in Smash Ultimate. Just from this, it's quite clear that F-Air, N-Air, and Up Air's landing lag buffs will be very help for Kirby's combo game. I can't wait to see what we can come up with when we can finally play the games at our leisure.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master

I think we can consider this a small preview of what Kirby's combo game will look like in Smash Ultimate. Just from this, it's quite clear that F-Air, N-Air, and Up Air's landing lag buffs will be very help for Kirby's combo game. I can't wait to see what we can come up with when we can finally play the games at our leisure.
We're gonna see a lot of weird up tilt shenanigans again.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Those combos look spiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiicy

We'll see if they're really good or not once the rest of us get our hands on the game.

Last edited:

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Yep, same. I want to try things out. I still don't know what other character I'll co-main.

pnoid

Smash Cadet

Holy crap those combos are harder than they look.

Nintykid

Smash Apprentice
Huh appearently Kirby get's a 1.2x damage multipler when he uses a copy ability. I did not know this

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
From my experience with Kirby so far, it looks like I won't be maining him. ALL of the things that turned me off from Kirby in Smash 4 are still here.

GrnFzzTgr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GrnFzzTgr
3DS FC
4425-1713-9059
I'm not linking that battlefield platforms seem to consistently interrupt F-throw. I find that I keep landing on them after the throw, so I can't follow up with aerials. I hope they fix this.... I wonder how they could have missed it, or if it was intentional...

Last edited:

TimG57867

Smash Ace
I'm not linking that battlefield platforms seem to consistently interrupt F-throw. I find that I keep landing on them after the throw, so I can't follow up with aerials. I hope they fix this.... I wonder how they could have missed it, or if it was intentional...
It is annoying. Right now the best workaround we found was that at low mid percents, a F Throw on a platform can setup Jab locks and tech chases. Final Cutter can also be mashed out before Kirby hits a platform.

Shadow Keebey

Smash Hero
So, I've been getting stuck into online with our super tough pink puff. Well actually, I use the yellow skin, but still. Anyway, Kirby still has a bunch of good combo tools. F-throw is still good, leading into f-air at early%'s, possibly d-air (I haven't tried that so much though) and at least Final Cutter at mid%'s (which is good on the Battlefields since he now lands on platforms after the throw, and as TimG57867 TimG57867 says above, you can get it out before he hits the platform). D-air is still pretty strong as a move, and if the foe isn't expecting it, it can lead into any smash (d-smash is the one I seem to commonly use though) at any% (if the opponent techs if you hit them in the air, you can easily get a d-smash hit). N-air is real good landing with, 7 frames is like nothing, and is still an all around good move. Final Cutter and Stone feel better, but then again, that may be inexperience on the parts of the opponents. I do still think that his biggest drawbacks are range and speed however, although his new-old dash attack and sped up initial dash help with that. Speaking of, dash attack is far, FAR better the Smash 4 version. Being single-hit, a shield-crossup, a surprisingly long-lasting hitbox (I've caught a lot of people out with it), and can also kill is so much better than whatever Break Spin did in Smash 4. B-air is even better than before due to the landing lag reduction, while still being a potent move and kill move overall. F-air is also pretty strong due to the landing lag reduction, also managing to combo into f-tilt if you land with either of the first two hits.

SpikeSpiegel19

Smash Ace
So, I've been getting stuck into online with our super tough pink puff. Well actually, I use the yellow skin, but still. Anyway, Kirby still has a bunch of good combo tools. F-throw is still good, leading into f-air at early%'s, possibly d-air (I haven't tried that so much though) and at least Final Cutter at mid%'s (which is good on the Battlefields since he now lands on platforms after the throw, and as TimG57867 TimG57867 says above, you can get it out before he hits the platform). D-air is still pretty strong as a move, and if the foe isn't expecting it, it can lead into any smash (d-smash is the one I seem to commonly use though) at any% (if the opponent techs if you hit them in the air, you can easily get a d-smash hit). N-air is real good landing with, 7 frames is like nothing, and is still an all around good move. Final Cutter and Stone feel better, but then again, that may be inexperience on the parts of the opponents. I do still think that his biggest drawbacks are range and speed however, although his new-old dash attack and sped up initial dash help with that. Speaking of, dash attack is far, FAR better the Smash 4 version. Being single-hit, a shield-crossup, a surprisingly long-lasting hitbox (I've caught a lot of people out with it), and can also kill is so much better than whatever Break Spin did in Smash 4. B-air is even better than before due to the landing lag reduction, while still being a potent move and kill move overall. F-air is also pretty strong due to the landing lag reduction, also managing to combo into f-tilt if you land with either of the first two hits.
Dair has been my go to starter. Dair, then Dtilt or Utilt depending on what I want.
Fair is solid spacing. I like it a bit more than Bair since it covers more vertical space.
Running and letting go of control stick and smashing has been my best success with getting consistent kills. Usmash and Fsmash are excellent regardless the scenario.

I'm not a fan of the wifi since there is much more prediction involved and less reaction.

Shadow Keebey

Smash Hero
Dair has been my go to starter. Dair, then Dtilt or Utilt depending on what I want.
Fair is solid spacing. I like it a bit more than Bair since it covers more vertical space.
Running and letting go of control stick and smashing has been my best success with getting consistent kills. Usmash and Fsmash are excellent regardless the scenario.

I'm not a fan of the wifi since there is much more prediction involved and less reaction.
I don't know enough people in person, so I have to use wifi. You know what I find amazingly satisfying to do though? Gimp someone with a poor recovery with the Final Cutter projectile. It's unexpectedly good at that.

GrnFzzTgr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GrnFzzTgr
3DS FC
4425-1713-9059
I find a big problem I have is doing short hops. Especially online. I use to use short hop aerials and empty short hops often in the older games. Another problem i have is off stage pursuits. Mostly because of Kirby's horrible airspeed. I can't get back soon enough to slam people into a stage edge,a dn I feel like a lot of characters outspace kirby's back air or fair when the moves cross up with others. Recoveries are so strong I've had people recover from the bottom of the screen after hitting them with 3 down airs.

Last edited:

TimG57867

Smash Ace
I find a big problem I have is doing short hops. Especially online. I use to use short hop aerials and empty short hops often in the older games. Another problem i have is off stage pursuits. Mostly because of Kirby's horrible airspeed. I can't get back soon enough to slam people into a stage edge,a dn I feel like a lot of characters outspace kirby's back air or fair when the moves cross up with others. Recoveries are so strong I've had people recover from the bottom of the screen after hitting them with 3 down airs.
Honestly with the air dodge changes I think B-Air and F-Air are better for edgeguarding now than D-Air.

GrnFzzTgr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GrnFzzTgr
3DS FC
4425-1713-9059
Well I definitely need more practice. I played somebody who I think may be from these boards and they wrecked me. They were very fast with kirby and knew exactly what to do in each situation.

Top Bottom