• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Combos out of spindash cancel?

Zorch

Smash Rookie
Pretty much the title. Normally my go to combo is utilt into a fair, but just wondering if there's more/better ways I can combo out of spindashes

Luk

Smash Journeyman
Sometimes I'll cancel immediately after the hit and follow up with a jab+jab+<variations> if they're at the right percents that the hit positions them correctly and/or they don't DI correctly.

But honestly I don't spindash cancel much but for head games or if I'm far enough away that the lag won't get me punished. I'm more likely to either:
1) Hit, turn-around -> jump -> dair (in rapid succession)
2) Hit, jump fair/bair/nair/dair depending on their percent/position based on DI/etc

I will say this about spindash cancel, it can be kind of cool to use it to fall off a ledge. For instance, if your opponent is standing near the ledge, you can spinsash into him, cancel right before getting to the ledge, the screech animation plays for a bit but then you fall off the ledge anyway allowing you to dj back in with a uair/bair.

Edit:
As I think on it a bit more. I'll bet I'm way under-utilizing the spindash cancel. It's lag is stupid long but if you've gotten the hit then the opponent should be equally (or even more) hit-stunned... I'll have to play with it some more and start trying to incorporate it more

Last edited:

Luk

Smash Journeyman
Oh my bad. I was confusing side b with down b. Yeah, spindash cancel is super important. If you're not jumping out of spindash then you should be either JC grabbing or wavedashing out of it in order to avoid the horrible end-lag.

All of my previous comment was aimed at Sonic's down b.

For the record, are those the correct names? Side-b: spindash, down-b: spincharge?

Luk

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for clarifying.

Oh, just remembered another instance where I would/need-to-get-better-at canceling spindash (kind of). When running off stage and charging spindash to go for a gimp, then cancel the charge (or if you're too far away spinshot) to recover.

Top Bottom