• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Combos and the like.

Robbydebry

Smash Rookie
So I would like to compile a list of combos that work well against different characters, either to set up that heroic CG or to rack up some quick damage. Personally I'm needing some help on the pikachu match-up, but if you have any favorites you like to use (no matter how specific or situational) Please post them or PM me, or post a link to an already existing video. Thank you! Wizard needs help BADLY!

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
Every synced option = Two+ hit combo

Alternatively:
Any desynced Popo option > Any Desynced Nana Option = Two Hit Combo assuming you get them while they are still in hitlag/hitstun
Any Desynced Nana Option > Any Desynced Popo Option = Two Hit Combo assuming you get them while they are still in hitlag/hitstun

That should keep you busy for awhile :p

Realistically, this is going to vary based on spacing, staleness, launch resistance, percentage, specific moves, etc. so you're going to have probably tens of thousands of different combinations to account for.

Crackle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ZZZobac
I think he means something not as stupid as you assumed delux. You should really work on assuming better of people here or no one will dare contribute/ask. Maybe that is what you want, though.

Anyway, assuming one interpretation that doesnt make a fool of Robby, here are some good combos that come to mind.
(1) the various ways nair combos to grab
(2) knock-off-platform to iceblock to grab
(3) desync Nana fair spike to ice block (higher percent) or directly fair to grab (lower percent)
(4) desync blizzard or ice block to a likely grab
(5) uair strings at low percent that generally involve jumping into the opponent upwards a couple times in succession
(6) banana throw desync, which may trip the opponent and allow for iceblock to grab

These are all things that, if not aware of already, you can get a good feel for and work into gameplay.

Also, pikachu is an interesting matchup. If learning cg and powershielding thunderbolt doesnt help, there are some things to try.

(1) if dsmash is giving you problems, realize that shielding the full thing allows plenty of time to punish iirc
(2) retreating thunderbolt camping generally loses to iceblocks though it may bounce over them
(3) desyncs are generally a bigger risk than reward against pikachu if they are not led by a shield or iceblock since all else is hit by thunderbolt
(4) pikachus dair has one strong hit in the air and two (an extra late shockwave) on the ground, forgetting the second one means getting hit and not trying to stop the aeria dair means pika has a free attack option
(5) pikachu upB to the ground leaves him a little off it, forcing a second hop or B move option if he doesnt want to have terrible lag

I find that this matchup has a stronger learning curve on the defensive than the offensive for most people. Take no damage without forcing pika to risk his life if you can.

DeLux

He said he wanted to compile a list of combos. I gave him the basic frame work to go off of >_>

Went from Synced > Desynced in progression (which is the basic framework) and then noted that there's going to be tens of thousands of combinations to consider due to a variety of factors to expand on after the basic frame work I provided.

If you're making a list, starting with the basic foundation is the best way to begin. So maybe you ought to not jump the gun and think that I'm trying to make a fool of him and rather consider I'm giving him the foundation and tools he needs to do the list like he expressed the desire to do

Crackle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ZZZobac
There was no utility to what you said. I cannot believe you really think you understood what he wanted and covered it all. Assuming that stuff ("basic framework") was new information to him is what made a fool of him. At least I tried to give him what he was looking for.

"combos that work well against different characters, either to set up that heroic CG or to rack up some quick damage. Personally I'm needing some help on the pikachu "

DeLux

He said he was compiling a list. If he's compiling, that's the frame work to start because pretty much every grab setup is based off a desynced frame trap which covers suggestions 3,4, and 6 you gave, and then some that HE could go and find. Given his list was at 0 in the OP, as I said, that would keep him busy for awhile.

Obviously I didn't cover it all because the list he's asking for is like 10's of thousands of combinations. Otherwise I'd tackle the project. So that points him in the right direction. Given that your 1 usually doesn't actually true combo unless very specific circumstances that you didn't list, your 2 doesn't work on most characters, and your 5 is like the most basic thing in the world, the utility is debatable.

Crackle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ZZZobac
I told him things to try is all I am saying. Your post to me seemed like a "go do your hw because there are a lot of ways to combo" suggestion. I would have been disappointed if I was him so I tried my best for his sake.

Good try at shooting down the things I suggested to try though. The fact you tried means you were hoping to succeed there. However, my point was that they work sometimes and in certain ways so if he tries them he can see when they work. So sorry, but they hold in that light.

Now I don't want a flame war so stop it.

DeLux

So if I'm reading right, you gave him an incomplete answer and frame work on options where he has to go do his homework on how it works? And my outlined frame work where he had to go do homework on how it works was disappointing because of that very same thing?

We might just be one in the same :p

I agree we don't want a flame war, I don't think anyone's flaming anyone here since debating the merit of options and whether they are write or wrong isn't flaming in the slightest.

If the OP doesn't come back soon, I'll probably just close the thread since there isn't really anything productive being "compiled"

[Corn]

Smash Ace
Last hit of squall hammer into 2 upairs at low percents
Desncy iceblock/blizz to grab
Uair to nair when platform poking.

My 2 cents....

SoulJoker

Smash Cadet
The thing I've found that works is
Desynch Dash Attack-->Popo N-air (I usually buffer this to make sure of the damage) --> Nana sliding u-smash --> Popo n-air/b-air

With the N-air it usually hits both the N-air and U-smash at the same time that allows the follow up n-air/b-air.
I have not tested it at higher percents.

Top Bottom