• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Combo Counter for Link

Solo Popo

Smash Cadet
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iziXU3d8Hf4

I've been trying to work on my true combos with link but I'm having trouble executing some of the simpler combos shown in this video. Are these combos still possible? I'm trying to get the downthrow to upsmash combo to register on the combo counter, but it isn't. I'm also trying to get the down throw to upair combo to register. I'm not really sure why it isn't working. Has something about the game been changed since the video was posted? Can anyone pull these combos off in 5.0?

Last edited:

hatnoeyes

Smash Rookie
Yes, the game has changed since the video was posted. The combo counter before patch 4.0 was very broken - it often registered combos as "true" when they were, in fact, not true. In patch 4.0, Nintendo made the combo counter a lot more accurate, so many of the combos in that video might not be true. Somebody else can correct me if I'm wrong, but I just tried both downthrow>upsmash and downthrow>upair in training mode, and I couldn't get them to register either, so I don't think these combos are actually true.

In my experience, once you perform a downthrow, you have basically three true follow-ups, depending on percent - uptilt, neutral air, or jumping into an immediate aerial up-B. Uptilt and nair work best at lower percents, and uptilt tends to connect more reliably (IMO). Jumping into an immediate aerial up-B works better at mid-to-high percents, but it can be difficult to connect as not all of the inputs can be buffered, so pulling this off usually requires close to frame-perfect execution. In particular, if your opponent chooses to DI away, pulling of the up-B follow-up can be very difficult.

I hope this helps!

Last edited:

Solo Popo

Smash Cadet
Yes, the game has changed since the video was posted. The combo counter before patch 4.0 was very broken - it often registered combos as "true" when they were, in fact, not true. In patch 4.0, Nintendo made the combo counter a lot more accurate, so many of the combos in that video might not be true. Somebody else can correct me if I'm wrong, but I just tried both downthrow>upsmash and downthrow>upair in training mode, and I couldn't get them to register either, so I don't think these combos are actually true.

In my experience, once you perform a downthrow, you have basically three true follow-ups, depending on percent - uptilt, neutral air, or jumping into an immediate aerial up-B. Uptilt and nair work best at lower percents, and uptilt tends to connect more reliably (IMO). Jumping into an immediate aerial up-B works better at mid-to-high percents, but it can be difficult to connect as not all of the inputs can be buffered, so pulling this off usually requires close to frame-perfect execution. In particular, if your opponent chooses to DI away, pulling of the up-B follow-up can be very difficult.

I hope this helps!
Very helpful, thank you for confirming this. I was going crazy trying to get some of the combos in that video working.

Top Bottom