• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Colors of Yoshi - Metagame Discussion and Tips

Pixel_

Smash Ace
Soooo would anyone agree that our Yoshi's metagame has stagnated? Not that it lacks depth but would anyone argue that their is still significant "untapped" potential with this character?
I still think Yoshi doesn't really have any significant potential left: https://twitter.com/PixelbugSSB/status/937045873200054272

But whether he actually has potential or not, the Yoshi community doesn't seem to be doing great in getting together and working on his meta. So yes, I’d say it stagnated.

Last edited:

Crucible

Smash Apprentice
NNID
4evrsmash
I still think Yoshi doesn't really have any significant potential left: https://twitter.com/PixelbugSSB/status/937045873200054272

But whether he actually has potential or not, the Yoshi community doesn't seem to be doing great in getting together and working on his meta. So yes, I’d say it stagnated.
Lol good thread can't really disagree with any of your points but most importantly Yosh is fun and if my concern isn't primarily winning then all is okay lol do you still main him?

Pixel_

Smash Ace
Lol good thread can't really disagree with any of your points but most importantly Yosh is fun and if my concern isn't primarily winning then all is okay lol do you still main him?
Yeah I still main Yoshi, but I don't play Smash that often anymore.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
I don't think there's going to be some new technique that breaks Yoshi's potential open. The options in the game just aren't there.

However, I think Yoshis can do a lot of work in refining their play and really breaking down match ups. Regrettably, since most Smash discussion now occurs on Facebook, Twitter, or Discord, there is no well structured, centralized location for discussion and real analysis. People generally do not seem interested in this type of interaction anymore, and so metas stagnate. And this isn't just true for Yoshi -- many character boards are dead, with stagnated metas.

The only thing keeping the meta developing are the tippy top players that are consistently topping events and taking names. But their progress is individual and does not contribute to a character's meta -- no techniques are shared, and the general playerbase does not improve as a result of their breakthroughs.

I won't ever expect any project like Brawl's match up chart to happen again. That project was a huge collaboration that saw participation of players from nearly every character, contained at least a month of consistent discussion, and led to actual analysis of matchups from both sides of the equation. That just...won't happen now. There's no tangible reward for doing that. No sponsors, no Twitter glory, no reception of a higher seed at a tournament. So the boards die, players make progress in isolation, and metas stagnate.

On the whole, the playerbase of Smash 4 will remain less capable and skilled than the playerbase of Brawl. Nobody cares to improve the outlook of the lower leveled players anymore.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
A meta filled with DLC with 3 of the top 10 of just DLC alone being -2 MUs for Yoshi (mewtwo bayo cloud) and then diddy all being common characters means Yoshi has very little hope in terms of solo main.

There's nothing left to be found that'd be groundbreaking and the limits of the game like Delta said just gives us nothing else to find or abuse to make Yoshi rise in the ranks. You're basically banking to get through brackets at big regionals or nationals off your raw skill, their MU inexperience, and bracket luck at this point.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
A meta filled with DLC with 3 of the top 10 of just DLC alone being -2 MUs for Yoshi (mewtwo bayo cloud) and then diddy all being common characters means Yoshi has very little hope in terms of solo main.

There's nothing left to be found that'd be groundbreaking and the limits of the game like Delta said just gives us nothing else to find or abuse to make Yoshi rise in the ranks. You're basically banking to get through brackets at big regionals or nationals off your raw skill, their MU inexperience, and bracket luck at this point.
nah, u crappy yoshi mains just aren't using grab release enough :troll:

Last edited:
Top Bottom