• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Collection Room: Sonic Video Archive & Critique

RudyTutti

Smash Cadet
NNID
Rudy16100
3DS FC
4339-3054-4932
I forget.

I generally kind of like Battlefield regardless of the match-up because I'm weird.

:093:
With the way I play Sonic, I really feel like BF's platforms harm me more than they help. Although if I'm up a stock I like to dance around on them from time to time. Is there any particular match I could watch to see how any Sonic uses the platforms optimally?

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
With the way I play Sonic, I really feel like BF's platforms harm me more than they help. Although if I'm up a stock I like to dance around on them from time to time. Is there any particular match I could watch to see how any Sonic uses the platforms optimally?
Of my matches, this one comes to mind.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Pound 2016 Singles

Vs. PeiWeisGreat
:4diddy: / :4cloud:

Vs. Esam
:4pikachu:

Collision XIII Singles

Vs. Squidboy
:4metaknight:

Last edited:

Wonfi

Smash Rookie
Last edited:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Smash w/ BAE #8 Doubles

w/ InC | Lawz
:4mario:

vs Vex + Vash
:4cloud: + :4marth:
https://youtu.be/ymv5m88llQI

vs Zoan + Optics
:4metaknight: + :4ness:
https://youtu.be/hcRfh5xSHjQ

vs Vex + Vash
:4cloud:/:4dk: + :4marth:
https://youtu.be/Wa87m3iRgtU

vs Angel Cortes + LoF | Blue [Grand Finals]
:4diddy: + :4charizard:
https://youtu.be/RlYf1-63FLQ

Smash w/ BAE #8 Singles

vs Squidboy
:4darkpit: / :4rob: / :4metaknight:
https://youtu.be/InLJl5gGj-4

vs LoF | Blue
:4charizard: / :4sonic: / :4mewtwo:
https://youtu.be/FKeU5BZibCw

XenoSaga Singles

vs DTN8 | Jtails
:4diddy:
https://youtu.be/qNIkwbzp8T0

The Gauntlet 4v4

LoCal vs EMP Deadly Alliance
https://youtu.be/93cktEBR2Zs

LoCal vs Crossfire Gaming
https://youtu.be/HINwYKeVLlQ

LoCal vs EMP Deadly Alliance [Grand Finals] G1
https://youtu.be/ZwUDbf7R1MY

LoCal vs EMP Deadly Alliance [Grand Finals] G2
https://youtu.be/qWyUWmV4AuA

Jtails - Sonic Competitive Tutorial feat. Camalange

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Bump for my new tutorial on the spin > footstool jump > dair spike combo:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208

Loki0830

Smash Rookie
NNID
Loki0830
This is a bit of a late reply, I realize, but I would highly suggest you look up Ixis Naugus. He has some of the smoothest movement I've seen from a Sonic, and his ability to navigate around Battlefield is phenominal. The biggest things I'd say that helped me with Battlefield and Dreamland was 1, realizing you can easily retreat to the top platform from a spindash by double jumping out of it, 2, realizing you keep your double jump if you spindash onto the ground from a platform, and 3, realizing you can use spin shots to land on any platform you want from nearly anywhere on the stage.

Cheers!

Last edited:

RudyTutti

Smash Cadet
NNID
Rudy16100
3DS FC
4339-3054-4932
This is a bit of a late reply, I realize, but I would highly suggest you look up Ixis Naugus. He has some of the smoothest movement I've seen from a Sonic, and his ability to navigate around Battlefield is phenominal. The biggest things I'd say that helped me with Battlefield and Dreamland was 1, realizing you can easily retreat to the top platform from a spindash by double jumping out of it, 2, realizing you keep your double jump if you spindash onto the ground from a platform, and 3, realizing you can use spin shots to land on any platform you want from nearly anywhere on the stage.

Cheers!

Hey, a late response is better than no response! Thanks a ton!

J.APS

Smash Cadet
NNID
JAPSTheHedgehog
3DS FC
4596-9572-9563
Sup guys!
I just uploaded a small vid trying to explain how Homing Attack works ^^

Last edited:

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
Hey guys. So early in the metagame, Sonic was my main. However, he quickly fell from his #1 spot on my depth chart. However, now I'm thinking about making him my #1 again. I have a video of my most recent Sonic match:

I apologize for the awful camera quality and for only having the 3ds version. I would upload a wii u match, but the 3ds version is all i have. Also, I am not in possession of a better camera at this time.
This was an online match between myself (:4sonic:) and one of my friends from forum games, @KingofPhantoms (:4littlemac:). Since you can't see the percentages throughout the match, here is a summary:

START: :4sonic:0% vs. 0% :4littlemac:
:4sonic:loses 1st stock at 130%, :4littlemac: at 56%
:4littlemac:then loses 1st stock at 95%, and I'm at 40% :4sonic:
I WIN with KO'ing :4littlemac:at 130%, and :4sonic: final percent damage is 56%

I think the points of improvement that I could have the most are mixing up my recovery game more, along with being able to perform fox-trotting and extended dash-dancing. If you have any other critique for my gameplay, go right ahead.

Last edited:

RudyTutti

Smash Cadet
NNID
Rudy16100
3DS FC
4339-3054-4932
Haven't posted here in a while! All the vids I really want to post have not been uploaded just yet, but I have one vod that I can post. This is me playing one of my regions PR'd players who mains Fox. He wrecked me. I know that's a tricky MU for us so I guess I was playing really scared. What else did I do wrong? Critique is greatly appreciated guys!

https://youtu.be/UPtUcboBzYU

Hey guys this is from a tournament I was at Sunday, was hoping to get some critique on my play <3
https://youtu.be/yn3pho2T5GY
Ok! The first thing I notice you doing wrong was rolling. A LOT lol. We play the fastest character in the game so there's no reason to roll unless we're truly in danger. And even then we can just run away from danger. Here's what helped me to stop rolling so much. During friendlies or a tourney match I would make it my goal to not roll the entire game. If you're in danger, run! It really helped kill that habit and made my movement crisp (in my opinion lol)! Another big thing I noticed is your usage of Spin Dash and Spin Charge. You were using it a bit too far away and when you did he would just shield. Sometimes he would get hit but other times he wouldn't. Use it closer and also mix up your timings for Spin Dash. Throw in some Spin Dash cancels (which I didn't see you doing)! And lastly (I'm just gonna say it because his is getting too long) you shouldn't use smash attacks at lower percents. Yeah they do damage, but we have better punishes that do a lot more damage! Hope this helped man and keep going fast!!!!

Last edited:

Myst_R

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ellyde
Hello guys, I need your help ! I often play against a good Mario from my city and he keeps defeating me. I really need some advices in this matchup, I really feel that I can not take some distance from my habits and playstyle.

This is a Bo5 grand final set. When the video starts I am winning 2-0 cause he first picked Captain Falcon for fun.

Myst_R :4sonic: Vs Yatta :4mario:
https://www.twitch.tv/elpierrot/v/83790116?t=02h41m26s

Last edited:

JayBee

Smash Champion
NNID
jamesbrownjrva
Hello guys, I'm back after a long time away from smashboards. moved to New York, still playing Smash under the name RacerX. I have a playlist I'll try to update more often as I find matches on Youtube, the link will be here:

But I really need you Sonics help. Seriously.
Please watch these matches:

As you can see, I never win, I always lose badly, and it feels like Sonic can't do anything in this matchup, combined with the fact that this is probably the best Pac-Man in the East coast or even the USA right now. I feel really bad that this guy is in my crew and I can't touch him, so i need your help. What am I supposed to be doing here?

-I dont have any moves that quickly beat the hydrant. I have back air, which is laggy when i target the hydrant a low as it is, Fsmash, which leaves me open enough to counter attack, and if I hit it with severl hits of a spin dash, all options leave me wide open to counter and send the hydrant in a trajectory that often times doesn't even need to be shielded by pac man.

-So, I jump over, which usually he just rolls to the other side because its easy to react to, spin over, which an even worse commitment, or just stand there, giving him time to charge his item of choice.

-spin dash in general loses to hydrant and trampoline, so can't do that.

-Also, Sinji has a ton of tricks and traps that honestly no other pacman does consistently, so even when I have a decent idea of what he's going for, it doesnt ****ing matter because he gets me with some other dumb trap.

I'm honestly about to just give up on this matchup and try using Cloud, or Mewtwo. So I really hope you guys can objectively help me out here. It's actually infuriating watching the matches over again online as this guy makes my sonic look like a scrub.

Again, Espy, Camalange, or any good Sonic with this matchup experience, please help. Thanks.

Last edited:

BSP

Smash Legend
Hello guys, I'm back after a long time away from smashboards. moved to New York, still playing Smash under the name RacerX. I have a playlist I'll try to update more often as I find matches on Youtube, the link will be here:

But I really need you Sonics help. Seriously.
Please watch these matches:

As you can see, I never win, I always lose badly, and it feels like Sonic can't do anything in this matchup, combined with the fact that this is probably the best Pac-Man in the East coast or even the USA right now. I feel really bad that this guy is in my crew and I can't touch him, so i need your help. What am I supposed to be doing here?
Sonic is one of Pac-Man's worst MUs imo, you just aren't playing the MU correctly atm.

I don't feel like doing a play by play of your videos atm, but I can see that you're respecting Pac-Man way too much in general. You are fast enough to always be applying pressure to him and that should be your priority. He's dangerous once he sets up, but you're fast enough to stop him from doing so in the first place.

-I dont have any moves that quickly beat the hydrant. I have back air, which is laggy when i target the hydrant a low as it is, Fsmash, which leaves me open enough to counter attack, and if I hit it with severl hits of a spin dash, all options leave me wide open to counter and send the hydrant in a trajectory that often times doesn't even need to be shielded by pac man.
You don't need to "beat" the hydrant, that's how you fall into Pac-Man's shenanigans. Sonic can run right through the thing, so start doing that. I highly suggest you ignore the hydrant UNLESS it's going to stop you from getting an edge guard on pac-man.

If you bair launch the hydrant, yes, you'll have some lag, but Pac-Man can't really punish you for it unless he's holding the Key and perfectly times his throw so that it goes under the hydrant after you launch it, and then he still has to worry about not getting him by the hydrant himself.

Regardless, you should be ignoring it / running through it anyway, so it doesn't matter.

-So, I jump over, which usually he just rolls to the other side because its easy to react to, spin over, which an even worse commitment, or just stand there, giving him time to charge his item of choice.
Run through the hydrant. It is near useless against sonic outside of edge guards.

-spin dash in general loses to hydrant and trampoline, so can't do that.
It's not that clear cut.

Spin charge "loses" to hydrant in the sense that sonic will get stuck at the hydrant, but he can keep wailing on it and launch it anyway. It probably won't hit pac-man, but it also won't give him cover for long.

A sufficiently charged spin dash should go right through the hydrant too, and if it doesn't I believe SDR -> SDJ should launch it. Regardless, you should be running through the hydrant like I said in order to keep pressure on Pac-Man.

Trampoline stops your spindash "approach" (you shouldn't be approaching with it to begin with, Sonic's running is much harder for Pac-Man to deal with), but Sonic can literally punish Pac-Man for using trampoline from virtually anywhere unless Pac-Man grabs a ledge or lands on a platform.

Understand that when you touch trampoline, you get bounced up but are in a neutral state right after. You can initiate another spin dash in pac-man's direction and it's unlikely Pac-Man will have any option other than blocking it if he doesn't get hit in the first place. Clanking with Spins is not in pac's favor because Sonic has a faster jab, and trampoline won't hit sonic after a clank unless the clank is at point blank. Sonic players in general respect pac-man's trampoline too much. IT's pretty hard for pac-man to set one up without eating a punish or losing a significant amount of stage control. Furthermore if pac man is hiding directly behind a trampoline, abuse the fact that it gives you lagless bairs to pressure him with.

-Also, Sinji has a ton of tricks and traps that honestly no other pacman does consistently, so even when I have a decent idea of what he's going for, it doesnt ****ing matter because he gets me with some other dumb trap.
If pac-man is above your head with a fruit in hand, he can't punish you for rolling unless said fruit is an apple. Don't get scared and sit there when he is above you.

Bouncing hydrant is easily clanked with. Hit it, or just dodge it.

If you are really scared in a trap situation, pac man has no way to cover you jumping back and waiting the trap out. Consider that too. Alternatively you can block, and unless pac-man is going to break your shield, he can't kill you for it.

On the ledge, pac-man can put you in some pretty bad spots. You can get legitimately screwed over, so you just have to guess and hope Pac-Man didn't try to cover the option you picked. However, if he tries to mindgame you with trampoline on the ledge, you can usually just wait out whatever he goes for.

I'm honestly about to just give up on this matchup and try using Cloud, or Mewtwo. So I really hope you guys can objectively help me out here. It's actually infuriating watching the matches over again online as this guy makes my sonic look like a scrub.

Again, Espy, Camalange, or any good Sonic with this matchup experience, please help. Thanks.

Don't give up. You just don't know the MU. I used to beat Brawlman1000 in Pac vs Sonic when the game came out, but then he figured out how pac man worked and I became ready to drop the character. Ignorance is your downfall in the Pac MU, and once you realize what he can / can't do, he's not hard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14xkTM0b5HI

This is an old match, but you should be able to see everything I'm talking about. I don't use the hydrant in neutral much because I know that brawlman knows he can run through it. That's your biggest problem right now, you think hydrant is an actual obstacle for sonic.

Last edited:

BSP

Smash Legend
I heard, but I'm more interested in how he did it. If 6WX wasn't falling for stupid stuff and not respecting pac-man too much, yet Sinji still dominated, I'll gladly eat my words.

Edit: and if you're questioning my skill with Pac-Man, which would be understandable since I haven't done anything as of late / am not a big name in general, I played Brawlman in some friendlies around August and he told me my pac-man did about as well as Zage's when he played him (he beat Zage). I hope Bman gets the chance to play Sinji at some point.

Last edited:

JayBee

Smash Champion
NNID
jamesbrownjrva
If 6WX lost then I feel like I'm wasting my time trying to do it with sonic when I have a cloud and Bayonetta and working on mewtwo. I don't want stubburness holding me back because I want to beat him with Sonic so bad :(

Last edited:

BSP

Smash Legend
If 6WX lost then I feel like I'm wasting my time trying to do it with sonic when I have a cloud and Bayonetta and working on mewtwo. I don't want stubburness holding me back because I want to beat him with Sonic so bad :(
Your call, but I still think Sonic wins. I just got to see 6WX play against Sinji and now I understand how he lost.

https://www.twitch.tv/houseof3000/v/103533454

Go to 6:47:18.

Like I was telling you, 6WX also seems to think the hydrant is an obstacle and chooses to Fsmash it instead of punishing the Pac-Man with zero landing options. Watch their set and imagine that every time 6WX smashed the hydrant he instead pressured Pac-Man's landing with a spin dash combo (20%+) or something and you'll see why I think the MU is garbage. The sad part is that even though 6WX wasn't playing near optimal, he still won.

This is why I take wins for the pac-man players with a grain of salt, because I don't know how the opponent was handling their stuff. He can beat anyone pretty easily if they keep Fsmashing the hydrant all the time,.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Yeah, pretty hilarious that 6 was able to get his revenge so quickly haha.
I didn't mean that it was hopeless, I just meant it's not unreasonable to lose to Sinji/PAC. I think it's a doable match-up for PAC, just moreso that Sinji plays it well and it can be really troublesome for Sonic.
Edit: and if you're questioning my skill with Pac-Man, which would be understandable since I haven't done anything as of late / am not a big name in general, I played Brawlman in some friendlies around August and he told me my pac-man did about as well as Zage's when he played him (he beat Zage). I hope Bman gets the chance to play Sinji at some point.
My intention wasn't to discredit you either as you made valid points. Sonic still most likely has the advantage, though I don't think it's that drastic.

jaimex2

Smash Apprentice
NNID
jaimex2
M2Ks coaching of MKLeo on how to beat Ken. There is a lot of good information on Sonic play-style adaption and counters here, its worth watching the entire thing.

Top Bottom