• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Coaching

outfoxd

Smash Ace
NNID
outfoxd
Forgive me if this has been done to death, but in light of Royal Flush and renewed calls about banning coaching I thought it worthwhile.

Disclaimer: Banning coaching if it had proven difficult to enforce the rules makes perfect sense to me.

I'm mostly wondering as we push towards an Esports image, what sets coaching apart in Smash, a 1v1 combat sport, from boxing or MMA, which are 1v1 combat sports? In the former there appears to be a backlash against the practice in general while in the latter two, coaching is ubiquitous and occurs both between rounds and mid-match.

I haven't heard much on it except that people feel that a Smash set should be between the two players and people should adapt on their own, but then why is this not an issue for boxers and mmaists?

I've heard people liken Smash to chess, which as far as I'm aware has no coaching, but to my knowledge they can also take time between moves to think.

Additionally, as a Brazilian Jiu Jitsu practitioner (Which has been likened to "kinetic chess"), I have personal experience with being heavily coached during competitive matches.

I'm just interested in the cultural differences between what is essentially a virtual combat sport and its physical brethren leading to a difference in feelings.

wedl!!

Goddess of Storms
NNID
Plushies4Ever
people think that coaching tacks onto the already egregious amount of time that smash 4 top 8s take up at majors, which is why they want to get rid of it/restrict it heavily.

in reality the problem is that game is slow as **** but there's only so much a ruleset can do to fix that.

Last edited:

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
I personally hate the whole concept. It feels like people adopted it just to pretend the game looks more professional like this, but so far it has been nothing but a big mess.
a) People have been handed loses because the coach shouted a tip. It is no different than anyone in the audience screaming, except it comes from a designated person so now it is a criterion for DQ.
b) From pieces and testimonies I could gather, SGK was not allowed to call for a coach because she didn't designate someone before the set, but Nairo did despite the same conditions.
c) It consumes time (to me this is minor issue though).

I'm not exactly against coaching, but implementing whole rulesets about this is... a bit too convoluted and completely unnecessary imo.
:196:

outfoxd

Smash Ace
NNID
outfoxd
I personally hate the whole concept. It feels like people adopted it just to pretend the game looks more professional like this, but so far it has been nothing but a big mess.
a) People have been handed loses because the coach shouted a tip. It is no different than anyone in the audience screaming, except it comes from a designated person so now it is a criterion for DQ.
b) From pieces and testimonies I could gather, SGK was not allowed to call for a coach because she didn't designate someone before the set, but Nairo did despite the same conditions.
c) It consumes time (to me this is minor issue though).

I'm not exactly against coaching, but implementing whole rulesets about this is... a bit too convoluted and completely unnecessary imo.
:196:

So more or less unlike boxing Smash hasn't logistically figured out a way to logistically handle coaching in a simplified and efficient manner?

Personally if I was putting in coaching id go all in and allow anyone to talk. Being able to filter words and listen only to your coach is a skill these other sports require you have.

I've only been watching highlights, are people not enforcing timed coaching 30 seconds from game end to game start? If they can't get this stuff together then yeah, coaching should be dropped.

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
I don't have a single problem with coaching if it's done right.
If it's done right.
But remember: Smash 4 Genesis 4 happened. I don't put much credit into tournaments since that.

Envoy of Chaos

Smash Ace
As long as you designate a coach prior to the set I don't see any issue. It's 30 seconds in a 2-2 set if you call coach each set at most you add 2 minutes to the set that's not much. In addition you can tell someone that your opponent always chooses the same ledge option a million times it's still going to be on you to punish accordingly and it's going to be on the opponent to then mix thier options ups. Yes coaching helps but the better player is still going to win the set 95% of the time.

MarioManTAW

Smash Ace
I think one of the big factors is that since not everyone uses them, it gives an unfair advantage to a player who does have a coach.

cyberpunk

Smash Rookie
NNID
pkstarpunk
I don't see the problem with it unless it takes forever in which case a rule or two could be implemented. Like a set time for coaching and only in between games or whatever, but from a "moral" standpoint, I think it's pretty neat though lesser known players probably won't get the same benefits from it as the more renowned players.

Top Bottom