• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Co-Main Options for Kirby

Mega-Spider

Smash Ace
NNID
MegaSonic3
3DS FC
4124-5940-2103
Hey guys. I know that these boards aren't the most active, but I've been thinking about this for a while now, and I want to get this out there. As we all know, Smash 4 has a huge variety of characters, and each of them have varying degrees of successful in competitive play. Some excel, some don't, and others get the spotlight on occasion. Kirby's a character that's not seen too often, and doesn't have the best results, even if people like MikeKirby and Triple R have gotten some top level results. I'm not here to talk about Kirby's results, but rather the idea of having him as a solo main. There are some characters that are fine being solo mained (Mario, Cloud, Rosalina, and Sheik come to mind). Kirby isn't a character that can be solo mained. I mean, he's not an awful choice let alone bad, but there's a lot of MUs Kirby struggles with, some being really crucial ones. I mean, have you seen what happens when you pin a Kirby up against Sonic, or Luigi, or Cloud, or Rosalina? Kirby gets murdered out there. In contrast, if you pin Kirby up against Sheik, or Fox, or Mewtwo, or Mario, suddenly Kirby doesn't get destroyed. Some like Mario and Sheik can still give him problems, but not nearly as much as the aforementioned characters that really give Kirby trouble.

I know the easy thing is to say, "Well, let's wait for another patch." The thing is, we have no idea if another patch is coming or not. It's been 3 months since the last one, and the patches normally came 2 months after another. Unless there is a patch being worked on that will completely rework the entire meta, then waiting for another patch is a bit of a waste of time. Instead, I think we should be looking for a co-main for Kirby, and not just one that can get him through his worst MUs. I'm talking about a co-main that compliments Kirby by helping him with his worst MUs, and Kirby can help the co-main with their worst MUs.

My personal pick is :4megaman:. Megs is an entirely different character than Kirby in every way, and there are a good amount of MUs that he can help Kirby with. Not only does Megs help in the aforementioned characters, he also helps Kirby against characters like Marth, Diddy Kong, Peach, Toon Link, and Villager. In contrast, Kirby can help Megs with characters like the aforementioned four that I mentioned, but can also help with Wario, Zero Suit Samus and Captain Falcon.

I want to see if any of you have other options for a co-main for Kirby. If you have an idea, feel free to share it here. I look forward to seeing what you guys have to say. :)

TheFez

Smash Rookie
I've actually recently picked up Sonic to help out with bad MUs. He slaughters Luigi and does as well as can be expected against Cloud, in addition to the obvious counter to the Sonic MU. Moreover, Sonic is a radically different type of character to fight against. Against Sonic, you NEED to approach, and against Kirby, you NEED to stay away. Switching between the two will catch most players' bad habits one way or another.
It also helps that Sonic is way easier to learn than Megaman.

Mega-Spider

Smash Ace
NNID
MegaSonic3
3DS FC
4124-5940-2103
I've actually recently picked up Sonic to help out with bad MUs. He slaughters Luigi and does as well as can be expected against Cloud, in addition to the obvious counter to the Sonic MU. Moreover, Sonic is a radically different type of character to fight against. Against Sonic, you NEED to approach, and against Kirby, you NEED to stay away. Switching between the two will catch most players' bad habits one way or another.
It also helps that Sonic is way easier to learn than Megaman.
Does Kirby help Sonic against any MUs? Maybe Mega Man since I know Kirby has an easier time against him than Sonic does, but I can't think of anyone that Kirby could help Sonic with. Actually, Kirby could help with Fox now that I think about it, since I hear Fox gives Sonic some trouble.

TheFez

Smash Rookie
Does Kirby help Sonic against any MUs? Maybe Mega Man since I know Kirby has an easier time against him than Sonic does, but I can't think of anyone that Kirby could help Sonic with. Actually, Kirby could help with Fox now that I think about it, since I hear Fox gives Sonic some trouble.
Definitely helps with Fox, and though I don't see many MegaMen, he helps in that department. He helps with Sheik and ZSS too. Plus, I personally have more trouble with Rosalina as Sonic than as Kirby, but that is likely my lack of MU experience (and Sonic skill) talking.

JesusMorpheus

Smash Cadet
NNID
omar0320
3DS FC
1435-4404-0742
Mega-Spider Mega-Spider I've been thinking about picking up Kirby as a secondary. How would you say Kirby does against characters like Fox? I've heard that he beats Fox and maybe goes even with Sheik or slightly loses, but that already sounds better than how those MU's go for Mega Man. Playing my local Fox player is making me realize i should definitely pick up a secondary so i was curious on your opinion on Kirby since i think he works pretty well when paired with Mega Man

Mega-Spider

Smash Ace
NNID
MegaSonic3
3DS FC
4124-5940-2103
Mega-Spider Mega-Spider I've been thinking about picking up Kirby as a secondary. How would you say Kirby does against characters like Fox? I've heard that he beats Fox and maybe goes even with Sheik or slightly loses, but that already sounds better than how those MU's go for Mega Man. Playing my local Fox player is making me realize i should definitely pick up a secondary so i was curious on your opinion on Kirby since i think he works pretty well when paired with Mega Man
I don't think Kirby so much beats Fox as much as he does go even with him. I say that because one of Kirby's weaknesses is him being above the opponent. Kirby's a slow faller, and since Fox loves his opponents being in the air, it won't take much for Kirby to die because of his light weight. It also doesn't help that Fox is really fast whereas Kirby isn't, so Fox can pressure Kirby if he's allowed to. However, Kirby can combo the heck out of Fox, racking up a lot of damage in the process. It also helps that Fox and Kirby are both light weights, so they can both kill each other fairly early.

I'm not too sure about Sheik, but something tells me that he slightly loses to her, but even then, I think Kirby already does better against her than most of the cast. Copying the needles helps a lot, as it can stop Sheik if she gets to close and can create some space for yourself.

How I set things up with Kirby is that he helps Megs with MUs that he struggles in. :4mario: doesn't give Kirby as much crap as he does to Megs. Same goes to characters like :4sheik:, :4zss:, :4wario:, :4falcon:, :4mewtwo:, etc. I also use Kirby against MUs I hate using Megs in. :4falco: is one that I've grown to hate over time because every time I fight one, they always spam their reflector. In contrast, Kirby struggles with a lot of MUs, some crucial, like :4sonic:, and :4cloud:. This is where Megs comes into play. Not only does Megs help Kirby against those two, he also helps with :4luigi:, :4peach:, :4marth:, :4lucas:, :4corrin:, :4diddy:, :4villager:, etc.

I don't treat Kirby so much as a secondary as much as I do as a partner to Megs. They both contrast each other really well by how different they play, and both help each other in a lot of ways. I view it as more as a team, but maybe that's because I have a huge love for both Megs and Kirby in general, hence why I can't in good faith call Kirby a secondary.

But yeah, Kirby's a good option for Megs. :)

JesusMorpheus

Smash Cadet
NNID
omar0320
3DS FC
1435-4404-0742
I don't think Kirby so much beats Fox as much as he does go even with him. I say that because one of Kirby's weaknesses is him being above the opponent. Kirby's a slow faller, and since Fox loves his opponents being in the air, it won't take much for Kirby to die because of his light weight. It also doesn't help that Fox is really fast whereas Kirby isn't, so Fox can pressure Kirby if he's allowed to. However, Kirby can combo the heck out of Fox, racking up a lot of damage in the process. It also helps that Fox and Kirby are both light weights, so they can both kill each other fairly early.

I'm not too sure about Sheik, but something tells me that he slightly loses to her, but even then, I think Kirby already does better against her than most of the cast. Copying the needles helps a lot, as it can stop Sheik if she gets to close and can create some space for yourself.

How I set things up with Kirby is that he helps Megs with MUs that he struggles in. :4mario: doesn't give Kirby as much crap as he does to Megs. Same goes to characters like :4sheik:, :4zss:, :4wario:, :4falcon:, :4mewtwo:, etc. I also use Kirby against MUs I hate using Megs in. :4falco: is one that I've grown to hate over time because every time I fight one, they always spam their reflector. In contrast, Kirby struggles with a lot of MUs, some crucial, like :4sonic:, and :4cloud:. This is where Megs comes into play. Not only does Megs help Kirby against those two, he also helps with :4luigi:, :4peach:, :4marth:, :4lucas:, :4corrin:, :4diddy:, :4villager:, etc.

I don't treat Kirby so much as a secondary as much as I do as a partner to Megs. They both contrast each other really well by how different they play, and both help each other in a lot of ways. I view it as more as a team, but maybe that's because I have a huge love for both Megs and Kirby in general, hence why I can't in good faith call Kirby a secondary.

But yeah, Kirby's a good option for Megs. :)
It's weird. Over time, I've just grown to not mind these MU's like Mario, Falco, Falcon, and Wario. I don't have much ZSS or M2 practice so i can't comment on them. I've mainly just been struggling against characters like Sheik and Fox. Depending on how things go and if i can figure the MU out or not I'll pick up Kirby. Thanks for your advice!

Top Bottom