• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Co-Founder of Brave Vesperia, Yuri Lowell for Smash Ultimate!

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I finished the game and even made a write-up for it.
There was a problem fetching the tweet
Can you tell I really loved it? (I also plan on watching the movie tomorrow which I'm looking forward to cause I've heard nothing but positive things about it)

Last edited:

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
So this is a bit random, but I had a dream last night where I was watching a Smash Ultimat reveal trailer for Tales of. It was an anime trailer where a bunch of Tales of protagonists were fighting each other over a Smash invitation kinda like the Arms trailer for Min Min 😆 Lloyd, Luke, Velvet, Jude, Milla, and Cress, they were all fighting each other for the invitation before Yuri shows up to claim it.

Does anybody else think that this would be an awesome trailer for a Tales of character reveal?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
If I can’t get KOS-MOS I’ll take Yuri

it’s my firm belief that Smash and PXZ (as of 2) are connected, and one more character who was in both games as playable would solidify that

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
So this is a bit random, but I had a dream last night where I was watching a Smash Ultimat reveal trailer for Tales of. It was an anime trailer where a bunch of Tales of protagonists were fighting each other over a Smash invitation kinda like the Arms trailer for Min Min 😆 Lloyd, Luke, Velvet, Jude, Milla, and Cress, they were all fighting each other for the invitation before Yuri shows up to claim it.

Does anybody else think that this would be an awesome trailer for a Tales of character reveal?
Oh hey this was an idea I had lol

I’d imagine it’d be an animated trailer probably by Production IG or Ufotable, it’d have the Smash envelope go to various different locales from the Tales series, stopping at different protagonists who all miss the envelope, before finally stopping at Yuri who catches it, it’d be really cool

Also I know that some people aren’t crazy about trailers where characters commentate over what’s going on, but it’d be really cool to hear the Vesperia party talk over the gameplay section honestly (This also brings me to another idea that I had where the stage could have a Smash Taunt in the form of Skits where the characters will comment on the fighters like the Codecs or Guidances which I think would represent that aspect of the series well)

Last edited:

Flik

Smash Journeyman

I honestly wish they'd stop with this kind of trailer, it just marks the ones who failed to catch the invitation as "not good enough for Smash" at best or losers at worst and (at least to me) sours the reception for the chosen character itself - I've never been able to like robin/min min and can't fully enjoy playing as Terry, someone I always liked in every game he appeared (because the trailers made it look like they got in over other subjective cooler characters). At least Rex didn't get beat up offscreen and mocked mercilessly for no reason in the game. I'd probably hate Sephiroth's inclusion and would likely not play as him if he killed/beat up Tifa/Barett/Aerith to steal the invitation in the trailer.

Not that any of this would affect my reaction to Yuri because he's by far my most wanted Tales character, but better be safe than sorry :upsidedown:

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
I honestly wish they'd stop with this kind of trailer, it just marks the ones who failed to catch the invitation as "not good enough for Smash" at best or losers at worst and (at least to me) sours the reception for the chosen character itself - I've never been able to like robin/min min and can't fully enjoy playing as Terry, someone I always liked in every game he appeared (because the trailers made it look like they got in over other subjective cooler characters). At least Rex didn't get beat up offscreen and mocked mercilessly for no reason in the game. I'd probably hate Sephiroth's inclusion and would likely not play as him if he killed/beat up Tifa/Barett/Aerith to steal the invitation in the trailer.

Not that any of this would affect my reaction to Yuri because he's by far my most wanted Tales character, but better be safe than sorry :upsidedown:
To be fair, the main reason why both Terry and Min Min's trailers are like that is likely because both Fatal Fury/King of Fighters and ARMS are fighting games, so those guys fighting over a Smash invitation makes sense even if fans might hate which character is chosen. I highly doubt that a Tales of character's reveal will be like theirs since it's a JRPG series.

amageish

Smash Master
Trailers directly about one character getting in over another are always bound to upset someone and I feel like it'd be especially unwise in this situation where, uh, there seems to be a non-zero amount of people who want one Tales rep and that particular one only. So, I would not advise and do not want it... but, honestly, I wouldn't be that shocked given the types of set-ups we've had thus far.

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
Trailers directly about one character getting in over another are always bound to upset someone and I feel like it'd be especially unwise in this situation where, uh, there seems to be a non-zero amount of people who want one Tales rep and that particular one only. So, I would not advise and do not want it... but, honestly, I wouldn't be that shocked given the types of set-ups we've had thus far.
I'm assuming you're talking about Lloyd, right?

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I'm assuming you're talking about Lloyd, right?
Actually it seems to be a trend with the other
Mothership Tales of protags too even outside of Lloyd, I've seen ones for Velvet and Ludger for example.

It's one of those series where it's just all or nothing for their characters it feels like lol.

Last edited:

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
Actually it seems to be a trend with the other
Mothership Tales of protags too even outside of Lloyd, I've seen ones for Velvet and Ludger for example.

It's one of those series where it's just all or nothing for their characters it feels like lol.
Ah, so I read that message wrong... Oops, my fault 🤦‍♂️

amageish

Smash Master
Yeah, I'm talking broad strokes. It's an IP where a lot of people have only played one game in it and tend to be a little bit "I want X or nothing" as a result...

That said, I think Namco would know better, especially with scenarios like how Tales of Destiny is so much more popular in Japan then it is in the west. I feel like that a "They all fight over the invite" trailer would be a recipe for actual disaster here.... Terry and Min Min at least contexts that, intentionally or not, led them to being commonly speculated (and in Terry's case, leaked to hell and back) about.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Plus tbh I feel like if we get Yuri then it’s mostly going to center around Vesperia content, so the characters that appear in the hypothetical trailer likely won’t feature heavily outside of Mii Costumes most likely (Lloyd at least would return we know that for certain)

That being said Mii Costumes of other Tales protags would be great, Milla and Velvet would make for excellent Brawlers and I could see a Cress swordfighter which Sakurai previously mentioned was considered, but I feel from Vesperia we’d also get a Flynn swordfighter and maybe even a Repede hat since they like giving the mascots hats typically.

There’s a lot of potential for them honestly.

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
Plus tbh I feel like if we get Yuri then it’s mostly going to center around Vesperia content, so the characters that appear in the hypothetical trailer likely won’t feature heavily outside of Mii Costumes most likely (Lloyd at least would return we know that for certain)

That being said Mii Costumes of other Tales protags would be great, Milla and Velvet would make for excellent Brawlers and I could see a Cress swordfighter which Sakurai previously mentioned was considered, but I feel from Vesperia we’d also get a Flynn swordfighter and maybe even a Repede hat since they like giving the mascots hats typically.

There’s a lot of potential for them honestly.
I'm hoping for Repede to maybe show up in a couple of Yuri's taunts or victory animations 😊

Yeah, I'm talking broad strokes. It's an IP where a lot of people have only played one game in it and tend to be a little bit "I want X or nothing" as a result...

That said, I think Namco would know better, especially with scenarios like how Tales of Destiny is so much more popular in Japan then it is in the west. I feel like that a "They all fight over the invite" trailer would be a recipe for actual disaster here.... Terry and Min Min at least contexts that, intentionally or not, led them to being commonly speculated (and in Terry's case, leaked to hell and back) about.
I feel you. Honestly, Tales of Vesperia and Tales of Symphonia are the only two Tales games I'm really interested in, mainly for their characters.

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I'm hoping for Repede to maybe show up in a couple of Yuri's taunts or victory animations 😊
I originally wanted him to fight alongside Repede as a sort of duo character like Duck Hunt but then when I really thought about it it wasn’t really a practical idea and wouldn’t accurately represent his appearance in the game, he doesn’t really need to bring someone to fight alongside with him.

I think it’d be great though having Repede in his taunts though, and of course one of the victory animations to be the Cry of Victory!

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
I originally wanted him to fight alongside Repede as a sort of duo character like Duck Hunt but then when I really thought about it it wasn’t really a practical idea and wouldn’t accurately represent his appearance in the game, he doesn’t really need to bring someone to fight alongside with him.

I think it’d be great though having Repede in his taunts though, and of course one of the victory animations to be the Cry of Victory!
Yeah I don't think a duo character for Yuri and Repede will work as well as it does for Banjo & Kazooie, Ice Climbers or Duck Hunt. I'm with ya on the Cry of Victory though as one of Yuri's victory animations.

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
New prediction for Challenger 10! Either Ryu Hayabusa, or a Tales of character! And depending on who it is, the Lloyd Mii costume will likely come with whoever it is. Unless Lloyd is gonna be the Tales of character that becomes playable 👍

I'm still pulling for Yuri as the potential Tales of character though 👍

Last edited:

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
Alright, one last post and I'll stop posting, I swear!

So I know I said a while ago that I've been hoping that both Lloyd Irving and Yuri Lowell somehow make onto Ultimate's roster as a 2-for-1 Challenger Pack deal, and that they could come with spirits and music tracks from both Tales of Symphonia and Tales of Vesperia, but at the time I found it difficult to come up with a stage for both characters and was going to settle on maybe one stage from one of the games, like the Tower of Salvation or Halure. But earlier today I think I came up with a great idea for a stage that represents both games!

I was thinking that the Tales of stage could take place on the Fiertia ship that Ba'ul can fly with (from Tales of Vesperia), and that Ba'ul could fly around the outside of the Tower of Salvation from Tales of Symphonia, travelling upward toward the top of the tower at a reasonable pace before making his way back down. Also, characters from both Symphonia and Vesperia could make cameos in the background of the ship similarly to Cloud Sea, Mementos, Garreg Mach, King of Fighters Stadium and Yggdrasil's Altar. I was thinking all of the party members of both games, so Colette, Kratos, Genis, Raine, Sheena, Zelos, Presea, Regal, Flynn, Estelle, Repede, Karol, Rita, Raven, Judith and Patty could potentially show up on this stage.

Idk, I think it's a great idea, but what do you all think?

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
I think the Lloyd costume has a high chance of coming back with Kazuya, but if Kazuya himself showed us, there's still a chance for another Tales protagonist like Yuri to join even after a hypothetical Lloyd Mii gets revealed. Bandai Namco are the codevelopers of the game after all, so two characters in this pass after they missed out on the first pass and all of Ultimate's base game wouldn't seem that far fetched.

Last edited:

Takasmash

Smash Ace
If we get a 3rd Fighterpass I hope Yuri Lowell gets in keeping my fingers cross for the possibility.

OmarLynx

Smash Rookie
Hello everyone, I'm also a supporter for Yuri Lowell in smash bros, after the deception we got with Lloyd mii costume, but as we all know Yuri is the most popular character in Tales of history, he should be the chosen one.

Bandai Namco knows it, this can't end like this, Tales of is one of the biggest J-rpg, and I know they just have given us Lloyd costume but think about it if they won't show it, we would have thought that he is the last fighter, they need to take us of the track, like they did with Heihachi mii costume, his Son took his place, and in this case Yuri Lowell would take Lloyd's place in Smash, also we don't have any spirit of Tales of franchise isn't a little suspicious?

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord
I can see Yuri happening possibly. The only uncertainty if two characters from Namco back to back but that is now the only enigmatic factor because clearly costumes mean frick all now and they had from the very start.

Last edited:

OmarLynx

Smash Rookie
I can see Yuri happening possibly. The only uncertainty if two characters from Namco back to back but that is now the only enigmatic factor because clearly costumes mean frick all now and they had from the very start.
Maybe but Namco, with only one fighter on both passes? When Square and Microsoft got 2 characters? Why Namco the developer of the game only with one? Is a little suspicious don't you think?

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
You know

I kinda thought about it for a bit and...

I think Yuri still has a chance to be the final character, I don't think us getting two Bamco characters is really out of the question since I don't think they care about that type of consistency (Reminder we got two Fire Emblem characters as DLC last game) and Bamco has been going all-in on the Tales promotion in wake of Arise, plus we only got Lloyd as a costume and not Yuri, and as Kazuya has shown we can still get costumes from series that have already been represented. So I think with all that in mind Yuri could still happen honestly.

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
You know

I kinda thought about it for a bit and...

I think Yuri still has a chance to be the final character, I don't think us getting two Bamco characters is really out of the question since I don't think they care about that type of consistency (Reminder we got two Fire Emblem characters as DLC last game) and Bamco has been going all-in on the Tales promotion in wake of Arise, plus we only got Lloyd as a costume and not Yuri, and as Kazuya has shown we can still get costumes from series that have already been represented. So I think with all that in mind Yuri could still happen honestly.
I would also argue that Yuri is far better and more popular than Lloyd outside of the general Smash fanbase, and would be a better pick for a Tales of representative imho. I agree with your other points as well.

Unfortunately, I'm just not seeing Yuri as likely anymore...

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I would also argue that Yuri is far better and more popular than Lloyd outside of the general Smash fanbase, and would be a better pick for a Tales of representative imho. I agree with your other points as well.

Unfortunately, I'm just not seeing Yuri as likely anymore...
Idk, I was initially thinking Kazuya was the nail in the coffin for him but now that I’ve really thought about it I’m not willing to rule him out, the fact we didn’t get a costume of him with Lloyd is probably the biggest sign to me something is up considering how big of a character he is, they know he sells after all.

So I’m willing to still keep an eye on him honestly, I don’t think Kazuya is as big of an obstacle as some may think (Although yeah a fighting game character probably ain’t gonna happen which makes me sad :( )

Top Bottom