• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Co-Founder of Brave Vesperia, Yuri Lowell for Smash Ultimate!

Viktimmy

Smash Rookie
So this is totally not solid proof of Yuri in smash.... but for God Eater 3's upcoming Switch release, it is getting version exclusive pre order content in the form of Yuri and Estelle Costumes, these costumes will not be made available in any other version of the game, ever.

I'm probably Really Really reaching here, but I think that something like that could totally support Yuri (or Estelle) making it in smash

...I'm totally biased wanting a Vesperia Rep though... that would be the only thing that would make me stop maining Joker.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
Not quite counting on Tales of being on top of Namco's priority list for a rep, and even then, I'm sad to say Lloyd is likelier, but man, while I can't say Yuri is my most wanted by any stretch, I'd buy him in a heartbeat. I've been replaying Vesperia lately on my PC, and that game is so much fun, was fearing I had grown out of the series after really not enjoying Berseria earlier this year.

RebelMaren

Smash Journeyman
I like your Yuri moveset alot, it's along the lines I was thinking, using the mechanics of Vesperia to make a combo heavy character, which got me excited about Either Yuri or Velvet in Smash rather than one of the older protagonists. My only suggestion wold be implementing Repede as a part of his Final Smash or victory animations as he's also got quite a claim to fame as the Tales of Series most popular mascot and I think alot of people would like to see him and Yuri together again.

I've never commented in this thread before and it's quite quiet as I think most discussion about the Tales franchise in Smash gets sidetracked by Lloyd support, but with the recent 'Tales Of' patents using non game-specific icons I'm wondering if they're planning for more Tales content than many people are anticipating and Yuri would make alot of sense. here's to hoping.

Cadillac

Smash Seeker
I'm not familiar with Yuri but Dragon Swarm is one of the coolest attacks I've seen.

Clumsyzephyr

Smash Journeyman
Little late to this, but I fully support Yuri getting in. I'd be really hyped to see Tales of get into the game with a playable rep. Here's hoping we'll see one in this second pass.

D

Deleted member

You know, why not Yuri fight with Repede? You know a duo fighter.

AidanTheGreat

Smash Journeyman
I would love to see someone from Berseria make it in, like Velvet for instance. I know Vesperia is more popular and I think its a great game too, but we do have a plethora of sword fighters so I enjoy seeing more unique inclusions.

Flik

Smash Journeyman
Just started his game so I can say I support him without just knowing him from Project X Zone :upsidedown:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Yuri Lowell was an awesome main character. I slightly prefer Velvet Crowe but I would still be really happy to see Yuri if she doesn’t get in.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Tbh if I see any Namco character getting in at this rate it has to be Yuri, I like legit can’t see it being anyone else (KOS-MOS withstanding, she’s in a complicated situation so I don’t really count her)

He’s the protagonist of the most popular game in the Tales series, he frequently appears in crossovers (mainly gatcha), he’s one of if not the most popular characters in the series and is banned from popularity polls, and with Lloyd likely coming back as a costume, I definitely feel like they’d go with Yuri honestly, that is to say they do go with someone from Namco, it’s a coin flip imo

But yeah, all in all I think Yuri has it pretty good, could very easily see him getting in

amageish

Smash Master

Welp. Some high-profile skepticism...

I also realize this thread hasn't discussed the rumour that has put Lloyd/Yuri (alongside Chun-Li) in the lines of more mainstream discussion, so... Anyone have any thoughts about it?

3D Dillon

Smash Ace

Welp. Some high-profile skepticism...

I also realize this thread hasn't discussed the rumour that has put Lloyd/Yuri (alongside Chun-Li) in the lines of more mainstream discussion, so... Anyone have any thoughts about it?
Just because he's skeptical of the claims both Lloyd and Yuri are fighters (as well as Chun-Li) doesn't mean neither will be fighters. He'd been skeptical of just that one "leak" and not necessarily a Tales rep joining the roster if I recall.

D

Deleted member

So Apparently There was a World Wide Tales Poll, and Yuri isn't in 1st place.... But 2nd place.

It's good to see the popularity of Yuri still pretty high in the tales community and hopefully it leads to him having some representation in smash.

( Also correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this the 1st poll Yuri has been in a long time?)

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585

So Apparently There was a World Wide Tales Poll, and Yuri isn't in 1st place.... But 2nd place.

It's good to see the popularity of Yuri still pretty high in the tales community and hopefully it leads to him having some representation in smash.

( Also correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this the 1st poll Yuri has been in a long time?)
What year was this because hes been long since taken off of popularity polls

D

Deleted member

What year was this because hes been long since taken off of popularity polls
Well the poll took place at the end of 2020, and the time this was aired was today as per youtube. And this is the official tales channel.

Last edited by a moderator:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Been playing Vesperia and I love Yuri so much, he’s such a cool character and I think he’d be insanely fun in Smash, count me in as a supporter I think he’d be a great pick honestly. Would love to see the other party members make stage cameos too, I’ve really grown to love them honestly.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Sorry for the double post but playing more of the game I had some ideas for how Yuri could be implemented I wanted to share.

First off, I don't think he should fight solo like he's been shown to in some crossovers, but I don't think he should be paired with Flynn or Estelle either, I want him to be paired with his trusty dog companion Repede. Whether it be like Rosalina and Luma where they're treated as separate characters but with unique attacks, or like Duck Hunt where they're one singular character that form a moveset, it's my ideal way for him to be implemented and it makes sense as well, they are best friends naturally and Repede follows Yuri wherever. It would be cool to see honestly.

Second I was thinking of how Over Limit could be implemented, I was thinking it could function like a meter ala Cloud's Limit Gurage or Little Mac's KO meter, and once it's filled he could basically go into a turbo mode for a small amount of time, I think it'd be a great way of handling a core mechanic of the game into his moveset so that would be nice to see.

Finally, this one's more simple but for his Final Smash I was thinking he could call in Flynn and they could perform their Mystic Arte together. I'm sure Repede could do something as well in the attack but it makes sense having the two leads finish things off.

That's all for now, let me know what you guys think I'm thrilled to hear!

amageish

Smash Master
Sorry for the double post but playing more of the game I had some ideas for how Yuri could be implemented I wanted to share.

First off, I don't think he should fight solo like he's been shown to in some crossovers, but I don't think he should be paired with Flynn or Estelle either, I want him to be paired with his trusty dog companion Repede. Whether it be like Rosalina and Luma where they're treated as separate characters but with unique attacks, or like Duck Hunt where they're one singular character that form a moveset, it's my ideal way for him to be implemented and it makes sense as well, they are best friends naturally and Repede follows Yuri wherever. It would be cool to see honestly.

Second I was thinking of how Over Limit could be implemented, I was thinking it could function like a meter ala Cloud's Limit Gurage or Little Mac's KO meter, and once it's filled he could basically go into a turbo mode for a small amount of time, I think it'd be a great way of handling a core mechanic of the game into his moveset so that would be nice to see.

Finally, this one's more simple but for his Final Smash I was thinking he could call in Flynn and they could perform their Mystic Arte together. I'm sure Repede could do something as well in the attack but it makes sense having the two leads finish things off.

That's all for now, let me know what you guys think I'm thrilled to hear!
I think double-posting is fine if it's 24 hours since your last post! Glad you're enjoying the game.

Unconventional choice with Repede there; I have seen a solo Repede character have a bit of support on r/Tales, even if I imagine it was partly for the novelty. I'm not personally convinced a Tales character needs to be a duo (and I'm someone usually for objectively-unneeded complicating of movesets), but I do like this choice more then most Protagonist/Friend-of-Ambiguously-Romantic-Standing pairings we get with this franchise.

I definitely support an Over Limit mechanic being implemented; it seems like Artes flow so naturally into Smash Bros already that adding Over Limit would be a good fighter ability. I know it'd put some of his (and the franchise as a whole's) most iconic moves in his regular kit instead of his Final Smash but... Eh, then you'll just get to see them more often!

Speaking of, Savage Wolf Fury is obligatory somewhere in the kit. They could make it a Limit-Break-esque special attack or a Final Smash. If it is the latter, I could see Party Members (or other protagonists?) being worked into it as a cameo, similar to how Gigaslash and ARMS Rush go from solo moves to group affairs for the sake of Smash flair. If it is the former, then Flynn coming in as support for the Final Smash seems like a logical choice too.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I think double-posting is fine if it's 24 hours since your last post! Glad you're enjoying the game.
Ah great to hear! And yeah I’m having a fantastic time with the game, really loving it so far!
Unconventional choice with Repede there; I have seen a solo Repede character have a bit of support on r/Tales, even if I imagine it was partly for the novelty. I'm not personally convinced a Tales character needs to be a duo (and I'm someone usually for objectively-unneeded complicating of movesets), but I do like this choice more then most Protagonist/Friend-of-Ambiguously-Romantic-Standing pairings we get with this franchise.
Oh yeah I had heard some had pushed for the notion of a solo Repede, pretty interesting stuff honestly. But yeah, I feel like it would make for a pretty mechanically interesting character, two characters with distinct fighting styles fighting side-by-side just sounds super interesting to me and really works in the prospect of a game like Smash Bros. I think you could work in a lot of disjointed attacks as well with it and overall I think it’d be really interesting to see what they’d do.
I definitely support an Over Limit mechanic being implemented; it seems like Artes flow so naturally into Smash Bros already that adding Over Limit would be a good fighter ability. I know it'd put some of his (and the franchise as a whole's) most iconic moves in his regular kit instead of his Final Smash but... Eh, then you'll just get to see them more often!
Yeah I think it’d be a unique fighter ability honestly, would give Yuri a pretty big edge in combat since he’d be able to auto-cancel into other moves, and yeah I think his Artes would probably be featured more prominently as a result and you could even see some of them change when activating Over Limit just like with Cloud and Joker, but for the provided duration which would be nice.
Speaking of, Savage Wolf Fury is obligatory somewhere in the kit. They could make it a Limit-Break-esque special attack or a Final Smash. If it is the latter, I could see Party Members (or other protagonists?) being worked into it as a cameo, similar to how Gigaslash and ARMS Rush go from solo moves to group affairs for the sake of Smash flair. If it is the former, then Flynn coming in as support for the Final Smash seems like a logical choice too.
Oh yeah that’s right Savage Wolf Fury definitely is the best option as the Final Smash honestly, though I would throw in some cameos for good measure, whether it be from the rest of the party, other protags, or just Flynn himself helping deal some extra damage, alternatively it could just be 1-1 like with Cloud and (somewhat) Terry but I think more cameos would be fun honestly!

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I got Yuri's Nendoroid today, it should be coming in the mail in a week and I'll probably post it when it gets here

I'm not finished with the game yet (I've made steady progress however and I'm over halfway through arc 2) but I've really fallen in love with this game and these characters, particularly Yuri and Estelle are my favorites and I just love them so much, this is just such an amazing game so I'd really love it to be represented in Smash in some way (Though if Yuri were to be in Smash he needs to be voiced by Troy Baker or no game), I can't wait to play more!

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I recently posted this moveset on the Speculation thread, and after Mushroomguy12 Mushroomguy12 's suggestion, I'm posting it here. To be honest I don't know how I could forgot about posting it in Yuri's official support thread, haha. All the gifs were extracted from multiple Youtube videos, such as the Yuri for Smash video that appears in this same page. Also, it's the first time I'm doing something like this so I guess it could be improved.

Lastly, a Tales character isn't necessarily one of my MWs but it is indeed a very fun option for me, even if it's only because of the mechanics and the battle system in the series. And while I like Lloyd, I'm more into Yuri in terms of character and fighting style. I'd prefer Yuri if we ever get a Tales rep in Smash, but I would be okay with Lloyd as well!

Anyway:

About Yuri...

Yuri Lowell is a 21 year old that lives in Zaphias, the capital of the Empire that exists in the world of Terca Lumireis. He was once a part of the Imperial Knights which he joined with Flynn, a friend he knew since both were kids, until he decided to leave and live life his own way. He resides in the lower district of Zaphias with Repede, a loyal dog creature. In the beginning of Tales of Vesperia, he will meet Estelle, and a series of events will force him to leave his hometown with Estelle and start an unpredictable adventure across the world.

I guess Yuri could be defined as a "cool guy" in a first impression, and while I certainly agree with that, he's someone that also cares about others while not really showing his emotions, or at least, not at first. He's kinda laidback but also a determined guy with a kinda sassy sense of humor.

An interesting aspect of the character is that, videogame/JRPG protagonists are usually heroic characters or depicted that way. We're the good guys and usually games don't make us question that. It's not like Yuri is the complete opposite of all that, but one of the things I really like about him is that while he has good intentions and he's a nice dude, he is also prepared for doing anything necessary to make things right according to his views and his morality, which sometimes brings him to do questionable acts that we don't usually see with most main characters in videogames. This is an important part of the arc of Yuri as a character in Tales of Vesperia, where he has to confront himself and other close people about his decisions.

He wields the Second Star, the sword that appears in the first image.

From now on I'll refer Tales of Vesperia as "ToV".

Mobility and Weight

I picture him as a fast fighter in terms of ground speed, with a decent air mobility, but nothing crazy. In the ground, he would be similarly fast to characters such as Cloud. In the air, his mobility would be better than Ike's, but not that much, which would match Yuri's air mobility in his origin game.

In terms of weight I think a middle place between Joker and Pyra, to name other DLC characters, would be fitting with the character and at the same time, quite balanced with what he's capable to do.

Playstyle

Yuri would probably be considered a rushdown character. His playstyle is certainly offensive, because he will always want to be close to you and not letting you breath for even a second. He has tools to make combo strings in a relatively easy way, therefore, most of his attacks don't inflict a lot of damage. I like to imagine him like an accessible character to pick up and do some cool stuff, but with some depth that would be harder to achieve if you're not familiar with his moveset and attributes.

As anyone could imagine, he uses his sword Second Star as his main weapon. However he wields it in a unconventional way most of the time, with his fighting style also being quite unorthodox, because he frequently incorpores his fists in his attacks. In ToV his fists are a part of his most basic attacks. He also uses his fists and even his legs in some of his specials, which in the Tales series are called Artes.

About Artes

Some of his Artes work for some of his and obviously, his Specials will involve the Artes he uses in his game. However for this I decided to take some liberties. First of all, there are different type of Artes in ToV: Base Artes, Arcane Artes, Altered Artes, Burst Artes and Mystic Artes. Burst Artes and Mystic Artes won't be used for his regular moves, just for his Final Smash. Artes are usually stronger and more flashy attacks which require magic points. In Yuri's case, most of his Artes are melee attacks.

In ToV at first you can only link Arcane Artes with Base Artes, in that order. So the best thing you can do is: 3 consecutive basic attacks > Base Arte > Arcane Arte. However you can learn different skills while proggresing the game that will allow you to do more cool things, like being able to do more basic attacks consecutively, and more importantly, being able to chain different type of Artes in any order.

Basic Artes are usually simpler and quicker, which don't require a lot of magic.
Arcane Artes are usually stronger and demand more magic points.
Altered Artes are more varied, and these only trigger if you have certain skills equipped. Altered Artes, as it's name implies, are Altered versions of Basic/Arcane Artes.

Yuri's Gimmick

As I said, Yuri's specials will involve some of the Artes he uses in ToV. However, he will have access to 8 Special Moves instead of 4, as usual with other character. How it works?
The first set of 4 Artes will trigger if you press B once, down B, side B or up B. But by holding the B button instead of pressing the button just once, Yuri will trigger a different Arte, also depending on the direction.

The first 4 Artes, the ones you trigger with pressing B once, would be 4 Base Artes. The other 4 Artes, the ones that will activate when you hold the B button, will be either Arcane or Altered Artes in ToV. However I'll take some liberties here, and all of these 4 will be called Arcane Artes to simplify things, and will work as Arcane Artes even if some are Altered Artes in Yuri's game.

The idea of the "hold the B button to trigger a different attack" came from ToV, where Burst Artes, only accessible through Overlimit, can only be activated when the player holds the attack button. Obviously, this whole idea isn't new to Smash because we have characters that will trigger different attacks if the player presses the button once or holds it, which would be the case for fighters like Ken. However that is something that hasn't been explored for the Specials, as far as I know.
If necessary, the startup animations for the Arcane Artes could be somewhat different and edited to match the startup animations of the Base Artes, because some of the pairs of Artes I've chosen for each direction might suppose a problem in terms of startup animations if you wanna link certain specials.

Yuri will be able to chain his tilts and his neutral attacks up to 4 times. He will be capable of linking his tilts, neutral attacks and some of his aerials into all of his 8 Special moves, Base and Arcane Artes. And as we established earlier he's able to chain a Base Arte with an Arcane Arte, plus being able to chain a Base Arte into another Base Arte. So in Smash, he would be able to do this:

Neutral Attack, Down Tilt, Up Tilt, Up Tilt --> Base Arte --> Arcane Arte.

But the player could also do:

Down Tilt, Down Tilt, Neutral Attack, Foward Tilt --> Arcane Arte

Or:

Forward Tilt, Forward Tilt --> Base Arte --> Base Arte

Or:

Down Air --> Base Arte --> Arcane Arte

And so on. All of this only applies to Yuri when he is in the ground, except the last example, where he uses Down Air while falling, and then proceeds to chain it with his Artes once he's in the ground. Unlike to ToV, Yuri in Smash will be able to cancel his aerials into his 2 versions of Up B, but that could leave him a bit exposed if used carelessly.

Yuri can also chain his tilts and his neutral attack with other certain moves, such as jab (Cerberus Strike), his smash attack (Lone Wolf Charge), his up smash, or his down smash (Destruction Field)

Moves (the ones marked with * will have some type of variation explained within the spoiler)

Normals

*Jab: Cerberus Strike. A quick succession of punches that will trigger if the player mashes the A button.

If the player still mashes the button, Yuri will use Cerberus Blast, where he still punches his enemy in a quick succession but adds a slash of his sword at the end:

Neutral Attack. A quick slash of Yuri's sword, his basic attack in ToV. Yuri will swing his sword each time the player presses the button. Yuri will be able to do up to 4 consecutive slashes, if the player presses the A button 4 times. If the player presses the button 3 times, Yuri will swing his sword 3 times, and so on. This move can be mixed up with his tilts in any order, as I explained before:

Up Tilt. Yuri hits his opponent upwards. He can do it up to 4 times as well. It's a bit slower in comparison to his other basic moves, so it can be harder to chain attacks for Yuri if he uses up tilt consecutively, but it does a bit more damage than his other tilts.

Forward Tilt. Yuri thrusts his sword once forward, then alternates with a punch. This sequence repeats one more time if the player presses the A button 4 times. So slash, punch, slash, punch.

Down Tilt. Yuri does a quick spin and hits the legs of the opponent, first with his fists followed by his sword, and then he deals another slash of his sword. The gif inside the spoiler only shows Yuri doing the attack one, but as I said earlier, he will be able to do this up to 4 times.

Example of mixing Yuri's tilts with his neutral attack:

Dash attack: Concealed Wave. A strong impact where Yuri uses his sword kinda like a shield to hit the opponent. The gif within the spoiler doesn't show Yuri running before he does this Arte, but he's able to do that in ToV. And even if that wasn't the case, I don't think it's hard to imagine this move as a dash attack at all.

Up Smash: Shining Eagle. Yuri spins around himself and does a low slash that creates a diagonal explosion, so it can hit opponents without necessarily being super close to Yuri. It can be somewhat familiar of Terry's Power Geyser, only that this move isn't as powerful and the range of the impact isn't as large at all. In my mind, Shining Eagle's explosion would reach the lower platforms of Battlefield, but it wouldn't go very much further.

*Forward Smash: Lone Wolf Charge. A two hit charged Smash attack that summons a ghostly wolf head.

Charged Smash Attack: Lone Wolf Storm. If fully charged, the attack will have more reach and a different look, but it will leave Yuri more exposed.

Down Smash: Destruction Field. Yuri strikes the ground with his sword after doing a jump, creating a strong impact. It can hit multiple opponents if they're close enough.

As I said earlier, Yuri can use his neutral or tilts, and then link them into either Up Smash, Forward Smash, Down Smash or even his Dash attack. An example of this would be the following gif, which will show Yuri doing down tilt 2 times, then Shining Eagle (Up Smash):

However, if Yuri decides to do a sequence like this one, ending with a Smash attack, said Smash attack couldn't be charged. And if it wasn't clear, I decided that Yuri wouldn't be able to chain Smash attacks into any of his Special moves, for balance purposes and for the sake of not making things overcomplicated.

Grabs

Here, I'm making things up a little bit. After all grabs are not a thing in Tales.

Yuri will grab his rival by catching the shoulder of his rival. After that:

- Pummel: I don't have anything here visually speaking, but I think Yuri pummeling his opponent with the base of his sword (like the last hit of Sephiroth's jab) multiple times would be fitting for him.

For his throws, I'm using some of his artes:

Up Throw: Fang Strike.

Forward Throw: Raging Blast.

Back Throw: Wolf Strike. Yuri brings his rival to the other side first, then proceeds to punching him/her.

Down Throw: Shining Fang Drop.

Specials

Normal Up B: Tiger Blade. Yuri rises to the air, bringing the enemy with him after a quick slash, then proceeds to punch the foe two times, the first punch takes place in the air and the second one brings the enemy to the ground with Yuri, similar to Ike's Up B.

Hold Up B: Wailing Havoc. A stronger Up B where Yuri punches, kicks and finally slashes his enemy in the air. Itwill cause a certain knockback to the enemy. The player can somewhat control the direction of Yuri when he's falling.

Normal Side B: Ghost Wolf. Yuri moves quickly, being able to teleport behind enemies and then hit them with a quick slash. This move kinda works like Sephiroth's Up B in the sense that it's useful for recovery. This will be the only Side B that will trigger while Yuri is in the hair. The blow at the end will only trigger if Yuri has succesfully teleported behind an enemy.

*Hold Side B: Dragon Swarm. A spinning attack where Yuri strikes the enemy with his sword and his legs. Kinda similar to Sephiroth's Up B, with the difference that you can only do it horizontally. It can be canceled if the player presses the guard button at the correct time.

It can be canceled if the player presses the guard button at the correct time:

Normal Neutral B: Final Gale. Two quick slashes, with the second one creating a projectile of wind element. The projectile itself is quick. Covers around 50-60% of the stage.

Hold Neutral B: Frigid Blast. Similar to Final Gale, here Yuri creates an ice projectile with two slashes of his sword and then pushes it to his opponent. It's stronger than Final Gale, though it has a longer animation. The projectile itself covers around 40-50% of the stage, and it's a bit slower than Final Gale.

Normal Down B: Crushing Eagle. Yuri quickly sticks his sword in the ground, creating a close range impact. In the air, this is the only Down B Yuri can use.

Hold Down B: Guardian Field. Similar to the previous version, Yuri sticks his sword in the ground, creating a seal around him that will damage enemies in contact with the circle. Guardian Field doesn't deal a lot of damage but it's a good move to stun enemies. If Yuri connects this move, Yuri will heal himself a little bit. It can affect multiple opponents, but if Yuri uses this move without hitting an enemy, he will not heal himself. Unlike Crushing Eagle, this move lasts longer, but it also leaves Yuri more exposed if he fails.

Final Smash: Heavenly Bladewing

The start up animation will came from Yuri's Burst Artes, which are only accessible when he's in Overlimit in ToV. He has different Burst Artes, but all of them start with Yuri punching the ground and causing an impact around him, like this:

If the impact around Yuri hits an opponent, his Final Smash will immediately start: his second Mystic Art: Heavenly Bladewing:

The animation wouldn't be as long as in ToV, it should be shorter, just like Joker's All Out Attack was shorter in comparison to the original in Persona 5. Heavenly Bladewing would still feature the anime portrait of Yuri at the end, making this a very cinematic and cool loking Final Smash.

Some would argue his first Mystic Arte would be more appropiate for multiple reasons. But despite being cool, we already have some Final Smashes similar to his first Mystic Arte, like Greninja's. And Heavenly Bladewing holds more meaning, without going into much detail. That, and well, I just like this one more than the first one lol.

Victory Screens

1. Yuri swings his sword around him a little bit and then he poses with his sword on his right shoulder.

2. Yuri front flips while kicking his sword into the air, only to catch it later.

3. Yuri plays a bit with his sword while laughing, now accompanied by Repede, who howls with energy.

Alts

Alternate costumes are a staple in the Tales games, and Tales of Vesperia isn't an exception. The game has plenty of different costumes for each character including Yuri, some of them are more in the funny/stupid side while others are more serious. I've decided to stick with serious/normal costumes for him, which also happen to be my favorite (lol). He has 4 unique alts, each one with a color variation. The unique alts would be

1. His main design and more well known look:

2. His Imperial Knight outfit, which he used when he was a Knight before the events of Tales of Vesperia:

3. His True Knight design. Fun fact: it seems it's a very, VERY popular design of him, because it has even got an official figure, when as far as I know it isn't a canonically outfit:

4. His Dark Enforcer outfit, also quite popular... and very hard to get in Tales of Vesperia. It's very easy to miss because you have to see a sequence of events in the game in a very small window of time, otherwise you won't be able to complete the sidequest and won't receive this outfit:

Music

His victory song would be a snippet from Ring a Bell, the main theme of the game (0:16 to 0:21 of this video could work, I believe)

About the music selection, I'm going to stick with what I'm familiar with Tales. I'm sure there are great tracks in other entries, but I already invested quite the time into this and right now I'm not feeling like exploring soundtracks of games I'm not familiar with. As of now I've played Symphonia and Vesperia, so the list comes from those 2 games:

Thank you for reading!

Takasmash

Smash Ace
I finished Tales of Vesperia on my Switch today so down for Yuri Lowell for Smash Ultimate. Its my first ever Tales of Series game I ever experience. One of the legends Best JRPG Story Telling love it love love it. Oh and I watch the Pre Sequel movie before playing the game years later.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Looks good! Lately I was thinking of getting some videogame figures as well. A Yuri one could be nice haha
Yeah it’s really nice figure, I haven’t opened it yet (I probably will once I go to my parents house next month) but it looks of really good quality and it helps it wasn’t too expensive, I’d say go for it!

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
I finally decided to buy Tales of Vesperia - Definitive Edition on my Switch! I'm hoping to start playing it some time this weekend. I started watching clips and skits of the game a while back, which got me wanting to buy it, and I began to love these characters and their interactions! I've especially grown fond of Yuri Lowell's personality, and I'm starting to root for him to join Smash Bros. here soon!

I'm holding out hope even more now for a 2-in-1 Challenger Pack for both Lloyd Irving and Yuri Lowell, since both of them were apparently considered for base game, and Fighters Pass Vol. 2 seems to be a "Tying up loose ends" sort of pass. Also, both characters are popular in a different part of the world (Yuri mostly in the East, and Lloyd mostly in the West), so it would be a win-win for everybody! If we somehow get BOTH Lloyd and Yuri alongside a stage, and songs and spirits from BOTH Symphonia and Vesperia, I'll be one happy man!

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
I finally decided to buy Tales of Vesperia - Definitive Edition on my Switch! I'm hoping to start playing it some time this weekend. I started watching clips and skits of the game a while back, which got me wanting to buy it, and I began to love these characters and their interactions! I've especially grown fond of Yuri Lowell's personality, and I'm starting to root for him to join Smash Bros. here soon!

I'm holding out hope even more now for a 2-in-1 Challenger Pack for both Lloyd Irving and Yuri Lowell, since both of them were apparently considered for base game, and Fighters Pass Vol. 2 seems to be a "Tying up loose ends" sort of pass. Also, both characters are popular in a different part of the world (Yuri mostly in the East, and Lloyd mostly in the West), so it would be a win-win for everybody! If we somehow get BOTH Lloyd and Yuri alongside a stage, and songs and spirits from BOTH Symphonia and Vesperia, I'll be one happy man!
Have fun! It's going to be quite a journey!

Top Bottom