• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Co-Founder of Brave Vesperia, Yuri Lowell for Smash Ultimate!

Kingshadow3

Smash Cadet
Im currently playing Vesperia and...boy it's sooo good. I just played through the part where Judith joined the group for the first time and if (by some unlikely chance) they gonna add Assist Trophies for DLC-Characters, then i really want her as an assist if Yuri gets in. After a little bit of time she was pretty fun to play. The way you can air-combo enemies reminded me of Bayonetta.
If any Vesperia character were to be an Assist Trophy, It would most likely be Flynn Scifo instead.

Anyway. Yuri was actually one of my wants for a couple of years but at the time, Yuri only appeared on an Nintendo console through Project X Zone. So it was a complete pipe dream. The "brave" datamine gave me some hope for him although people are mostly speculating Erdrick.

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
-Yuri's popularity aged better than Lloyd
-Game remastered and ported to Switch
-Large interest in rep for Tales series and Namco
-Is in my signature

Yuri is a surprisingly likely candidate, despite most of the Smash fandom being focused on older characters like Lloyd. He has my support, add me to the list!
You have been added. :)

Well guys, I managed to play the game for 4 and a half hours and so far, I'm enjoying it! Despite the fact it's taking me some time to get used to in terms of the combat, I've been able to manage for the most part.

I need to get some rest right now either way, so see you all later!

D

Deleted member

I just picked up the Vesperia remaster and I'm having a lot of fun so far. Count me in.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
The fact is I want a tales character, any tales character, they all are remarkably easy to make movesets for given how the battle system works. So support.

I haven’t played much Vesperia yet. It’s new to me. And Yuri is cool. I’d take him as much as most other tales protagonists like Cless (I think that was the guy’s name in phantasia?), Lloyd, or Guy’s friend from Abyss who’s name escapes me.

(But if they made Repede the playable character I’d be much happier.)

Last edited:

Kuroko

Smash Rookie
First tales game and I’m enjoying it so far. Yuri became a like able character very fast for me. I support.

Xigger

Smash Lord
Oooh~ why do you say that?
-Yuri's popularity aged better than Lloyd
-Game remastered and ported to Switch
-Large interest in rep for Tales series and Namco
-Is in my signature

Yuri is a surprisingly likely candidate, despite most of the Smash fandom being focused on older characters like Lloyd. He has my support, add me to the list!
There you go!

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
I just picked up the Vesperia remaster and I'm having a lot of fun so far. Count me in.
The fact is I want a tales character, any tales character, they all are remarkably easy to make movesets for given how the battle system works. So support.
I haven’t played much Vesperia yet. It’s new to me. And Yuri is cool. I’d take him as much as most other tales protagonists like Cless (I think that was the guy’s name in phantasia?), Lloyd, or Guy’s friend from Abyss who’s name escapes me.

(But if they made Repede the playable character I’d be much happier.)
First tales game and I’m enjoying it so far. Yuri became a like able character very fast for me. I support.
All three of you have been added. :)

Here's an interesting question: if Yuri did get in, what weapon would he be equipped with? Would he get Second Star, or do you think they'll give Yuri the most recognizable axe from his game? I will just say myself that part of the reason why I want Yuri is because of him being able to use axes as a main weapon, which would help his case for uniqueness as besides the Belmont's Neutral Special, we don't have any true axe users in Smash that have it out at all times.

Due to image loading errors on the site right now, I can't really show images of the axe I think he'd use unless you guys don't mind spoilers. I can say that it looks quite cool at least, though.

Last edited:

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
Recently started Tales of Vesperia, and I'm really enjoying the brooding cast. Like Fire Emblem, the Tales series is known for its deep, heart-wrenching plots. Just finished fighting that psycho with the pink hair. Yuri is a very well written protagonist, from what I've seen so far. I absolutely love his jaded, laid back attitude. Also enjoyed that one character in the jail cell--having read his wikis years ago, I knew right away that I was going to like this character.

I'm also enjoying the battle system so far; it's quite challenging. I actually died early in the game--which is rare for me. I'm personally hoping there will be a playable ranged character like Natalia from Abyss, as I don't like getting mine hands dirty. I prefer directing the aggro characters, while I snipe and heal from afar.

Now I REALLY want Yuri more than Lloyd. I've nothing against Lloyd--if anything, I liked the idea of a non-genius hero. Just goes to show that brilliance doesn't equal benevolence. The way I saw it, Lloyd wasn't outright stupid, so much as he just was lazy. When the situation called for it, he was quite the quick thinker--and accomplished things even Genis couldn't.

ShadowGuy1

Smash Lord
All three of you have been added. :)

Here's an interesting question: if Yuri did get in, what weapon would he be equipped with? Would he get Second Star, or do you think they'll give Yuri the most recognizable axe from his game? I will just say myself that part of the reason why I want Yuri is because of him being able to use axes as a main weapon, which would help his case for uniqueness as besides the Belmont's Neutral Special, we don't have any true axe users in Smash that have it out at all times.

Due to image loading errors on the site right now, I can't really show images of the axe I think he'd use unless you guys don't mind spoilers. I can say that it looks quite cool at least, though.
I think Yuri’s main weapon would for sure be a sword, but maybe a taunt or something could allow him to swap weapons

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
I think Yuri’s main weapon would for sure be a sword, but maybe a taunt or something could allow him to swap weapons
I'd presume that there wouldn't be any differences in a sword or axe for gameplay purposes? From what I understand, Axes make Yuri attack slower, but also do more damage in exchange.

Desert Croc

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4757-0799-4282
I feel like his weapon will be the katana that he is always seen carrying in promotional material such as his official artwork and in the Project X Zone games.

D

Deleted member

Last edited by a moderator:

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
Add me to the support list please. I do think that Yuri would be DLC instead of Lloyd. No hate for Lloyd but why I choose Yuri because it's been said million times that he was so popular to the point where he was eventually banned for the official character polls along side with a character named Leon from "Tales of Destiny"
http://www.siliconera.com/2017/06/04/tales-festival-2017-character-popularity-poll-results/
You have been added. :)

Or this week, go figure.
Not even I understand what's going on here, honestly... I just hope this period of dryness will end soon.

I guess if anything, I'd love to make this thread more active and discussion based by extension if anyone's interested.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
My copy of Definitive should be coming in the mail tomorrow.

Can't wait to play it, my only experience with this series is Symphonia. So this will be sort of a new experience

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
So everyone... how have you been? As the days go by, I sometimes do wonder what to expect next in terms of Smash Ultimate news. As of now, some people are claiming Brave to be Banjo based off what's been seen data wise, which I honestly would be perfectly okay with as he's on my newcomer wishlist anyway. What that might mean for Yuri if Banjo turns out to be Brave remains to be seen, but I won't give up hope just yet as I still think a Tales rep will be apart of the Fighters Pass... it's just a matter of whether it'll be Yuri or Lloyd.

Just remember: if we end up getting Lloyd instead of Yuri, I'd like for everyone to not be upset about it. And trust me, while I get if you want to feel disappointed as it can naturally show up, I don't want us to become hostile or say something we shouldn't. Either way, just thought I'd get that out there.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I've been enjoying my time with tales of Vesperia. I like how 90% of Yuri's dialogue with Karol is him insulting the boy

Mrs.Milky

Smash Ace
So everyone... how have you been? As the days go by, I sometimes do wonder what to expect next in terms of Smash Ultimate news. As of now, some people are claiming Brave to be Banjo based off what's been seen data wise, which I honestly would be perfectly okay with as he's on my newcomer wishlist anyway. What that might mean for Yuri if Banjo turns out to be Brave remains to be seen, but I won't give up hope just yet as I still think a Tales rep will be apart of the Fighters Pass... it's just a matter of whether it'll be Yuri or Lloyd.

Just remember: if we end up getting Lloyd instead of Yuri, I'd like for everyone to not be upset about it. And trust me, while I get if you want to feel disappointed as it can naturally show up, I don't want us to become hostile or say something we shouldn't. Either way, just thought I'd get that out there.
Some people also seem to have think sora

D

Deleted member

Speaking of Sora, I remember expressing this idea from the Sora support thread where I would love to see a Kingdom Hearts type game but with Nintendo characters and no I'm not talking about Smash Bros. instead more of an RPG storyline game similar to Subspace from Brawl and I can see that Nintendo of course would fill in Disney's role and another JRPG franchise (probably the Tales series) would fill in Final Fantasy's role

Last edited by a moderator:

Kingshadow3

Smash Cadet
I find it hard to believe that it's Sora. According to the datamine, Brave has a weight value of 101, That is one point higher than Cloud. I can't imagine Sora being heavier than Cloud although I can't entire rule out that possibility since Shulk was originally heavier in Smash Wii U & 3DS.

I can understand Yuri having that weight value. Yuri is stated to be 5'11" or for metric users, 180cm.

Last edited:

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
I find it hard to believe that it's Sora. According to the datamine, Brave has a weight value of 101, That is one point higher than Cloud. I can't imagine Sora being heavier than Cloud although I can't entire rule out that possibility since Shulk was originally heavier in Smash Wii U & 3DS.

I can understand Yuri having that weight value. Yuri is stated to be 5'11" or for metric users, 180cm.
To me, I'm honestly thinking it's between Yuri and Banjo based off what I've seen: I wouldn't complain at all if it ended up being one of those two. Then again, it's still relatively uncertain on who Brave could be, but let's hope for the best.

Jboy1010

Smash Cadet

Yo sora is 5”2 btw

FlintIke

Smash Journeyman
So I watched the whole DBFZ tournament thingy and also noticed a few things.
In one of the tournaments trailers people seem to have spotted sakurai (will post a video if I find it myself). Also Bandai Namco responded to D1 saying that he is excited to be a part of the audience for DBFZ Finals by saying "It's gonna be SMASHING!" which they deleted not too long ago themselves.

So given the datamine name + the facts I mentioned above, I think it is looking good for a Tales of character. And if I had to guess I would say it's Yuri at this point since the release of Vesperia is just working out perfectly for it.

I hope it might actually happen since it would be great to have one of the most popular Tales of characters in the game. If it's gonna end up being Lloyd, that would be totally fine too. So yeah, I am curious what that all was supposed to mean. But I get the feeling that the next DLC character is definitely gonna be a bandai namco character.

kirby3021

Smash Journeyman
I just started playing Tale of Vesperia and quite like Yuri as a protagonist. Even though he's not one of my two big wants (Neku and Sephiroth), I would not be disappointed in the least to see him join Smash. Add me to the list!

Neosonic97

Smash Journeyman
THE Tales Candidate. Why do people think Lloyd is a better choice than this guy? Having played Vesperia Definitive, I can safely say that Yuri is another of my big picks, alongside Reimu. Put me on the list!

Last edited:

ryuu seika

Smash Master
THE Tales Candidate. Why do people think Lloyd is a better choice than this guy? Having played Vesperia Definitive, I can safely say that Yuri is another of my big picks, alongside Reimu. Put me on the list!
Lloyd is from the same era as the Smash that hooked most of this board. Lloyd was the star of the series' breakout hit in the west. Lloyd originated on a Nintendo console. And his game was heavily promoted by Nintendo themselves.
Vesperia, by comparison, originated on Xbox and got extra content on Playstation. Only now, years on, does a Nintendo port exist and it's not even exclusive. Yuri has no ties to Nintendo and, while his game was a fan favourite, it wasn't a milestone for the series in the same way.
Like it or not, Lloyd is the face of Tales on Nintendo in the west.

What I'm unclear on, though, is whether that matters. Neither Namco nor Nintendo are western companies and the series started on the SNES over there.
Is it just our western point of view and Gamecube bias that makes Lloyd top contender?

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
It's simply because Lloyd is the Cloud of the franchise. Being the protagonist of the Game that made Tales popular worldwide like cloud did with final fantasy.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I can just imagine busting people up to Ring A Bell, I'm hype :awesome:

and I support, I lately began preferring him over Lloyd due to ToV Definitive Edition being on Switch.

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
Sorry for the inactivity as of late, guys.

So I watched the whole DBFZ tournament thingy and also noticed a few things.
In one of the tournaments trailers people seem to have spotted sakurai (will post a video if I find it myself). Also Bandai Namco responded to D1 saying that he is excited to be a part of the audience for DBFZ Finals by saying "It's gonna be SMASHING!" which they deleted not too long ago themselves.
So given the datamine name + the facts I mentioned above, I think it is looking good for a Tales of character. And if I had to guess I would say it's Yuri at this point since the release of Vesperia is just working out perfectly for it.

I hope it might actually happen since it would be great to have one of the most popular Tales of characters in the game. If it's gonna end up being Lloyd, that would be totally fine too. So yeah, I am curious what that all was supposed to mean. But I get the feeling that the next DLC character is definitely gonna be a bandai namco character.
I just started playing Tale of Vesperia and quite like Yuri as a protagonist. Even though he's not one of my two big wants (Neku and Sephiroth), I would not be disappointed in the least to see him join Smash. Add me to the list!
I can just imagine busting people up to Ring A Bell, I'm hype :awesome:
and I support, I lately began preferring him over Lloyd due to ToV Definitive Edition being on Switch.
You 4 have been added. :)

I honestly do question what Yuri's fate might be as of right now as again, it's between him and Lloyd. And while I was going to say that they might try to add both of them in, I do remember how Sakurai had to make a tough decision between Decidueye and Incineroar and chose the latter in the end...

Bottom line, it's going to be a very similar situation here between Lloyd and Yuri here.

Last edited:

Kingshadow3

Smash Cadet
I have a notable bias towards Yuri as I've only played Vesperia.

Granted, The Lloyd vs Yuri will probably be like the Decidueye/Incineroar debate. The thing is that Lloyd has been around longer but Yuri is more popular for the game he is in.

In Symphonia, Lloyd wasn't considered the most popular character for that game, that award usually went to either Zelos or Kratos.

For Vesperia, Yuri is often considered to be the most popular character in the ENTIRE SERIES, let alone his game. Although, Flynn, Rita, Judith and Raven are also pretty popular.

Basically it's a debate between Legacy or Popularity.

Xigger

Smash Lord

Granted, The Lloyd vs Yuri will probably be like the Decidueye/Incineroar debate. The thing is that Lloyd has been around longer but Yuri is more popular for the game he is in.

In Symphonia, Lloyd wasn't considered the most popular character for that game, that award usually went to either Zelos or Kratos.

For Vesperia, Yuri is often considered to be the most popular character in the ENTIRE SERIES, let alone his game. Although, Flynn, Rita, Judith and Raven are also pretty popular.

Smash seems to prioritize the most recent RPG characters over classic ones, which means Lloyd wouldn't normally be considered.

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター

Yeah: it's a really tricky situation, quite honestly...

FlintIke

Smash Journeyman
Imagine that everyone is expecting Lloyd or Yuri and instead they will reveal Velvet. That would be sick as well lol.
I just hope secretly that the potential Tales of character will be revealed alongside Joker's Trailer, that would be soooo cool since I'd get 2 amazing characters in one reveal <3

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
You know guys... it honestly shocks me how more people aren't realizing that Yuri or Lloyd are very likely to be one of the next characters for DLC (if not the most likely ones after whoever Brave is, which I believe to be Banjo).

It's a bit of a crazy reality, but hey... things happen. I actually did make a Fighters Pass prediction list recently with Joker being a free slot, obviously;

Fighters Pass Prediction List Excluding Joker Final.jpg

This is all based off various factors I've seen such as Banjo being considered for Melee and Phil Spencer being on board with his inclusion alongside the Jet Force Gemini and Blast Corps spirits (from the Rare era), Lloyd and Yuri based off rumors and factors such as Yuri's game being re-released quite recently with enough time for Sakurai to be aware of it, Geno due to Sakurai having wanted to add him in back in Brawl and seeing move-set potential in Geno, and Reimu for the unexpected, but not surprising out of left field pick. Alternatively, I did consider Crono/Slime in place of Geno originally if Geno's Spirit deconfirms him, but I doubt that would stop Sakurai: plus, if he wants to grab another SE character, I feel he'd go after Geno if his previous Mii Costume is anything to go by.
Plus, I honestly really want pretty much all of these other characters outside of Geno, but I'd be perfectly okay with his inclusion at the end of the day if it happened.

Last edited:

FlintIke

Smash Journeyman
If I had to guess, my gut feeling tells me that certaom characters could have a shot being in the Fighters Pass. And I expect all of them being 3rd party (or 2nd at most).

I think characters that might have a chance at this point could be:

- a Tales of character ( I think it's Yuri but could be someone else of course, also Fury Sparks PLS!!!!!)
- B&K (while I wouldn't be too excited, we all know how popular those 2 are and I could live with it since the DLC can only get better for me)
- a Resident Evil character, possibly Leon ( Yeah I know many say that I am crazy but you would have called me that too when I would have told you back then, that Cloud will fight Ryu, Joker, Pac-Man, Sonic,.... one day lol)
- Dante or Nero from DMC ( Another very popular Capcom franchise. I think we will get at least 1 more capcom character in smash and if I had to guess I think DMC and RE would make sense since it's pretty up to date currently)
- Monster Hunter ( self explaining I guess but could also be Dante or a RE character)
- Steve from Minecraft (This one I'd want the least but we can't deny that this is a possibility and that Minecraft has huge success to back it up)
- Master Chief (another crazy pick but possible, I got the feeling a microsoft character might not be too far-fetched)
- Travis Touchdown (I think this might be his last chance to get a shot joining smash, since his game came out perfectly for him to be included in smash to promote his most recent game)
- a total oddball (There might be at least ONE character none of us is thinking about. So I am prepared to be surprised a lot since I didn't expect a persona character ever as well)

There are of course other potential characters who might be in the season pass. I just get the feeling that the ones I mentioned above should be considered being a possibility since in smash ultimate nothing seems impossible (besides anime characters). So those might be characters that could have a chance to be included in smash imo. I also think that this very season pass will be based on 3rd party entries for the most part. It would make this big crossover even bigger.

Hope we will get more news on the last 4 characters as soon as possible since the wait is killing me...

D

Deleted member

I see the debate between Yuri and Lloyd more like the debate between Cloud and Terra and guess which character Sakurai chose.

Neosonic97

Smash Journeyman
In recent Tales Popularity polls (the latest one we have results for is the 2017 poll), Lloyd averages around 11th place, just outside of the top 10.

Yuri on the other hand...

Let's say it like this. In the Tales Popularity polls, there's a place for characters who win Tales popularity polls three years in a row called the Hall of Fame, which is essentially a ban list for characters who are too popular. Only two Tales Characters have done so. One is Leon Magnus, from Tales of Destiny. The other, as you may have guessed, is Yuri Lowell himself. Yuri is indeed a very strong contender for the most popular character in the entire Tales series.

Last edited:

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
Man... I do wish this was a way I could help make this thread more active or there was a way to make it more active, but I understand if there's not much we can go off of right now especially due to Brave's removal from the game's code.

Last edited:
Top Bottom