• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Cloud vs Pikachu MU

YP9

Smash Rookie
Hey, I'm a Cloud main and I would like some tips on this MU. I've been told to just pick up Mario, but I honestly don't even know why Pikachu loses to Mario and I'd rather just have one character. Any tips will be appreciated!

Ninj4pikachu

Smash Journeyman
I'm a pikachu main, and trust me when I say pikachu beats cloud pretty noticeably. picking up a secondary would be the easiest solution but if you are adamant about using cloud solo then you have to use your range. play defensive, let pikachu come to you. If he approaches with quick attack you can beat it with short hop nairs. If he approaches with falling aerials use shield grab. Pretty much don't give him a chance to punish you by always letting him approach. You shouldn't be scared of thunder jolt approaches if you perfect block (may be hard online). you have to play well in the onstage game or later in the stock when it becomes an offstage match pika will edgeguard you hard.

It really would be easier to just pick up Mario or doc. They are easy to learn and beat pika hard. They win because of reflectors for thunder jolts, FLUDD neutralizes quick attack if he can catch it, up smash spam is really scary for pika due to being a glass cannon, and Nair being frame 4 gets Mario out of a lot of pikachu's combos. Ness, Lucas and game&watch also do well vs pika.

DeaDea

Smash Cadet
Cloud vs Pika is probably 50/50. Cloud can completely outrange pika, stop his QA, wall Pika out and kill Pika very early. The obvious disadavantage is Pika can edgeguard Cloud quite well.

Its a very polarizing match up - Pika can get super early kills on Cloud but Cloud can do the same.

In my honest opinion its not worth picking up a secondary just for this match up. Save picking up secondaries for the truly bad matchups that your character loses more than 60/40, and improve your playstyle and fundamentals for closer ones.

hell-dew

Smash Apprentice
you dont need a 2ndary for pika you need to learn how to fight pika better. cloud can do it fine. Pika slightly wins IMO but doesnt stomp cloud. play safe play campy hold center stage limit camp and try to not get thrown off stage cause cloud kinda bodies neutral otherwise. Pika doesn't punish hard at mid %s so commit to your moves accordingly if you get combo try not to let it end up as an edgeguard pika is forced to respect clouds options in a lot of situations. pikas kill options also are not that good outside of gimps he doesnt hit freakishly hard or anything so if you can live to late %s odds are in your favor. This matchup changes pretty interestingly as %s/limit are factored in. Pika lacks the ability to get out of upair pressure to his Dair hitbox isnt very fast nor very good at getting out of it provided you Upair around thunders and outspace him.

i think pika can trade Dair with upair. if he has the time and upair is spaced badly but i need to test this more i cant tell if the clouds i face are just being bad. Nair is insanely good at countering Quick attack and dont be afraid to upB out of shield if not near the ledge (i the opponent needs to be at a high enough % for it to true combo tho) pika lacks range cloud has range abuse it keep him out. if cloud plays center stage really hard its hell for pika to get him off. DO NOT get grabbed near the sides and be ready to save your jump off stage and usually trying to hit pika with the up B works heavily in clouds favor if you can time it right

L from Switzerland

Smash Rookie
I'm a pikachu main, and trust me when I say pikachu beats cloud pretty noticeably. picking up a secondary would be the easiest solution but if you are adamant about using cloud solo then you have to use your range. play defensive, let pikachu come to you. If he approaches with quick attack you can beat it with short hop nairs. If he approaches with falling aerials use shield grab. Pretty much don't give him a chance to punish you by always letting him approach. You shouldn't be scared of thunder jolt approaches if you perfect block (may be hard online). you have to play well in the onstage game or later in the stock when it becomes an offstage match pika will edgeguard you hard.

It really would be easier to just pick up Mario or doc. They are easy to learn and beat pika hard. They win because of reflectors for thunder jolts, FLUDD neutralizes quick attack if he can catch it, up smash spam is really scary for pika due to being a glass cannon, and Nair being frame 4 gets Mario out of a lot of pikachu's combos. Ness, Lucas and game&watch also do well vs pika.
SMH. I feel like most ppl on here just talk about what they think the matchup is like instead of what it is actually is like.
Here is the thing: Yeah pika can gimp him pretty well since he has a pretty bad recovery, HOWEVER:
Cloud i top 5 easily. He has so many tools wo tin neutral and his advantage state is incredible. His ability to camp while not having to rely on projectiles is enourmous. Pikachu does 100% not win neutral vs. cloud. while QA might be good in neutral, clouds lingering hitboxes are superior. Pikachu simply lacks range to get in while cloud has plenty. It's not like little mac where him being offstage means death. Clouds recovery still has range and is kinda scary with its second part. Cloud definetly wins the match. I'd say it's 60/40 in clouds favor.

Top Bottom