• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Cloud Strife Announced For Smash 4!

When the first Nintendo Direct was announced since the passing of Satoru Iwata Nintendo fans were excited. Then Sakurai himself retweeted the direct and the website movie list for Smash broke (something that has happened before other DLC videos released). Well Smash fans the hype was very real as we got a brand new character coming to Smash: Cloud Strife from Final Fantasy 7!

Also hinted in the video are Chocobo costumes for the Miis. In the Nintendo direct itself it was announced a special Smash broadcast would be taking place some time in Decemember 2015. Will this be a big broadcast about the Smash Ballot? Excited to see Cloud in Smash? Let us know in the comments below and stay tuned to Smashboards for future news coverage!

Comments

Still hopeful Sakurai throws ANOTHER wild card at us and gives us Waluigi. lol.

As a Wario main, I feel like Waluigi would be a great 2nd main to use. I've played good Marios who use Luigi and vice versa. I need my sidekick too.

INB4 Goku is confirmed

In all seriousness I am EXTREMELY happy that Square FINALLY got a rep

Last edited:
Getting Mewtwo is like when your dad says you can only go to Disneyland every 10 or so years, and then 14 years pass and you think he's completely forgotten about it, and then he just springs it on you one day and you know he still loves you.

Getting Lucas is like being reunited with your long-lost brother, except you knew him since you were babies and you thought he died 7 years ago.

Getting Ryu is like when that new rich and popular kid moves in and he picks you to be his best friend, and you know that you're both going places some day.

Getting Cloud is like when you work until 2:30 AM on a paper and get a C-, but then on a different one later you don't give a crap and do it half an hour and get an A+.

Getting Roy is like finding a penny on the ground.

Last edited:
>People saying cloud has a copy of Ike's final smash
>Omnislash was pretty much just like that in the source game... in 1996.

Allright.

> I don't like the character so therefore it's ****.
>No top tier no buy.
>Another Anime guy eugh.
Never change Smashboards, never change :starman:

Last edited:

Are you kidding me? Another anime swordsman, AND with a super uninspired moveset to boot to the point of recycling Ike's final smash wholesale? Couldn't they give him a more unique moveset??
Omnislash came first and is an actual move from the game while Ike's final smash is made up while being more or less the same thing as Link's, so who's ripping off who...?

Plus the summons are probably final smashes as well, based on how over-the-top they are and the fact that they already showed four moves that look like specials.

Are you kidding me? Another anime swordsman, AND with a super uninspired moveset to boot to the point of recycling Ike's final smash wholesale? Couldn't they give him a more unique moveset??
But that is an exact cut and paste of omni-slash. They even put in his most iconic limit breaks as specials that can perform with broken limits. It is incredibly inspired by Cloud's original appearance in FF VII.

What I got from this is that if we had anymore veterans coming it would've been revealed there for sure as they usually save third party characters as something special, I'm goin to assume no more vets will return period as well as any past stages, I'm also gonna predict that anymore characters revealed will all be third party (assuming we will only receive 2 more characters) I am very happy they basically added the face of Square Enix into smash and now I am going to continue to root for my vote Rayman for Ubisoft, as well as finally swallow my pride and root for Shovel Knight as the smash ballot winner as the face of Nindie/YachtClubGames (If being a ballot winner is even a thing). My backup votes will be Bayonetta, Shantae, and Bomberman. LET THE HYPE CONTINUE TILL DECEMBER WHERE I BELIEVE WE WILL HIT OUR FINAL STOP!!!

Smash Bros never ceased to surprise, and what a demonstration of how huge a collaboration this game has been and has now become. And here's to hoping this is just the cherry on the top of a huge amount of info in December! Hopefully this means that Final Fantasy VII come someday come to a Nintendo console too.

to say i'm disappointed would be an understatement. Of all the FF/square enix characters to choose, they chose one who has absolutely 0 significance to nintendo. the most cloud has ever done, is appeared in KH cameo's for KH games on a nintendo system. Square must have payed a high price to nintendo/sakurai to let them ***** out their poster boy once again. Sakurai also just went back on his word that he would only allow 3rd parties who had some sort of significance to nintendo.

Finally to make matters worse, cloud's moveset looks like a sloppy mix-match of current sword users moves, hell he even has a complete rip-off of Ike's final smash.
I honestly doubt Nintendo pays anything for the copyright. Most likely, Square offered use of him as they get free advertising (notice how Nintendo likes to include characters from their current selling titles). And who knows, maybe FF VII will be appearing on a Nintendo console in the future (Square is remaking it). Also, that is a cut and paste of omni-slash from the original game, if anything Nintendo stole it for Ike.

Yes, finally Nintendo is doing something correctly, ignore the remaining Brawl cast and focus on introducing new characters like Cloud into Smash-4. For once keep up the good work Nintendo promote something new for yourselves and your business. Though the Ryu add was very stupid on Capcom's end. Thanks.

Well, looks like the one line from Tengen Toppa Dairantou: Part 1 is more relevant now. Oh, and shall we add another counter to the "swordfighter smasher" jar?
Not gonna lie, I'm a bit surprised.

The comments section here reminded me why I'm no longer part of the smash bros fandom competitive players repeating their annoying and arbitrary anti customs speechs ad nausem without giving reasons why that haven't already been debunked to no avail by the pro customs side aside.

I always knew the smash bros community was both childish and immature at times more so than other FGC communities due to it being a Nintendo franchise, but holy hot damn! All the keyboard warriors crying en masse about Cloud's unexpected appearance in 4 and whining that THEIR preferred smash bros character of choice didn't get announced instead is just....astounding not to mention pathetic of them.

Can't you just be glad that Nintendo still cares about this game? Can't you just be glad we get regular patches that iron out bugs and moves that make one character too OP? Can't you be glad that all these gaming companies like Capcom and Square regardless of your personal opinion of them as a business are willing to play ball with Nintendo by lending them their most popular characters for Nintendo to mold into fighters?

A game with THIS many fan favorite video characters only happens once in a life time so the least you could do is be grateful for the above reasons I mentioned and not scream at Nintendo like a self entitled brat just because you didn't get your way (yet) in regards to whom you want to see put in the games roster.

To all the people who didn't throw a temper tantrum at today's news whether here or on Reddit, y'all are cool people. :) Carry on.

I honestly doubt Nintendo pays anything for the copyright. Most likely, Square offered use of him as they get free advertising (notice how Nintendo likes to include characters from their current selling titles). And who knows, maybe FF VII will be appearing on a Nintendo console in the future (Square is remaking it). Also, that is a cut and paste of omni-slash from the original game, if anything Nintendo stole it for Ike.
Read my response to the other two guys.

Omnislash never originally popped clouds opponent into the air like that. In FF7 when he used it against Seph, he was grounded the whole time, while cloud shot up in the air to deliver the final blow.

Making the move blast his opponent to the top of the stage like ikes great aether, makes it feel far too much like ike's move. It would of made far more sense for the move to stay grounded and be more like link's FS right up until the final hit where cloud skyrockets into the air and comes crashing down to deliver the final blow. It would of been far more true to the original move, and would of felt a lot less like a copy/paste of ikes.

ToadsterOven ToadsterOven

why even comment here if all you're gonna do is trash talk/belittle the whole community here in the first place? Just leave entirely if you don't like it here or the people's opinions here, coming here to talk smack against the entire community isn't going to do anything other then get you possibly banned later on.

Last edited:
Not to mention Square is VERY protective of their properties. Please name one instance of where Square actually included one of their characters in a game as big as Smash. The answer is basically never. Even PSASBR, a game that seems perfect for Cloud, never included him. It's part of Sony's fault as they only saw the game as a cash grab but Square obviously saw no need to tarnish their characters image. The fact they are willing to include FF content but also THIER most popular character shows, IMO, how much Square recognizes Nintendo and Smash.

Omnislash came first and is an actual move from the game while Ike's final smash is made up while being more or less the same thing as Link's, so who's ripping off who...?

Plus the summons are probably final smashes as well, based on how over-the-top they are and the fact that they already showed four moves that look like specials.
Great Aether and Triforce Slash are the rip-offs to Omnislash for sure, both moves were inspired by Omnislash.

The summons are definitely going to be stage hazards for the Midgar stage, no way they're a part of Cloud's moveset, that would be insanely broken and impossible to balance in-game, he'd be god tier even worse than Brawl Meta Knight for sure if Cloud had those summons.

If anything Cloud's specials will likely involve him using his far weaker limit breaks (Climhazzard seems like recovery material although it's going to hurt him as it doesn't give him much recovery distance), Cross-Slash or Braver seems like they'd be perfect Side B moves while his B move is the power up move he uses on the battlefield, while Down B is definitely another counter attack (and yes Cloud can in-fact counter attack right after getting hit, called Retaliate and all of Cloud's allies can do the move in-game.)

As for the Assist trophy rep, it's either going to be Sephiroth or Tifa that gets in or bust (in before Yuffie gets the honors just for giggles), but for Heaven's sake they got to have the trophy that's coming with Cloud be Aeris for good reason, she died in the most heart breaking way and this would be a good idea to include a trophy of her in her honor.

Yo! Cloud is in the game! This was so left field I was actually delighted to see Cloud in Smash. Granted, I have played Final Fantasy VII before, but I never saw this coming.

Cloud doesn't seem to imply that he's part of the ballot, so everyone keep your limit breaks under control.

It's always super easy to tell who hates characters because they don't know anything about them. They always give some ridiculous reason that anyone who has played the game can see makes no sense. Examples: Isaac is a generic swordsman, K Rool is a Bowser clone and the newest Cloud stole Ike's final smash. I mean you can not like a character for whatever reason you want, but I wish people would get to know a character before they spew hate.

So ****ing stupid, instead of a Nintendo character they AGAIN steal another third party character, so done.
Either you don't know what "steal" means or you have no idea what you are talking about. Nintendo made some sort of business deal with the companies that own the 3rd party characters. Nintendo hasn't stolen anything. Feel enlightened?

Wow! That was completely unexpected!
Having said that Cloud looks very interesting, I'd like to give him a go.

I don't mind more swordsmen but I'd like some more projectile fighters ala Fox or Mega Man. Personally I'd like a patch with DLC Custom Specials and extra reveal movies for the Wii U game as well.

It's always super easy to tell who hates characters because they don't know anything about them. They always give some ridiculous reason that anyone who has played the game can see makes no sense. Examples: Isaac is a generic swordsman, K Rool is a Bowser clone and the newest Cloud stole Ike's final smash. I mean you can not like a character for whatever reason you want, but I wish people would get to know a character before they spew hate.
except he did steal ikes final smash. did omnislash originally shoot sephiroth into the air like that in FF7?

That one small difference makes clouds feel like a copy/paste of ikes.

And it also makes the ending of the move feel less powerful, when cloud skyrockets into the air to come crashing down delivering the final blow in the original it feels far more deadly.

except he did steal ikes final smash. did omnislash originally shoot sephiroth into the air like that in FF7?

That one small difference makes clouds feel like a copy/paste of ikes.

And it also makes the ending of the move feel less powerful, when cloud skyrockets into the air to come crashing down delivering the final blow in the original it feels far more deadly.
His final smash is basically the same as his EX burst in Dissidia. He literally didn't steal it

I can cry and whine clone all i want, but i'm going to purchase him anyway. Heck, he might be a Roy/Ike i can be good at using. I whined at Little Mac, i loved him. I whined at Ryu, I loved him. I even whined back in the day when Lucario took over for Mewtwo... and loved Lucario.

I doubt this'll change with Cloud. Even though i don't fully understand Cloud, i'll welcome him and Nintendo's "wider doors" to fighters.

Top Bottom