• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Cloud Strife Announced For Smash 4!

When the first Nintendo Direct was announced since the passing of Satoru Iwata Nintendo fans were excited. Then Sakurai himself retweeted the direct and the website movie list for Smash broke (something that has happened before other DLC videos released). Well Smash fans the hype was very real as we got a brand new character coming to Smash: Cloud Strife from Final Fantasy 7!

Also hinted in the video are Chocobo costumes for the Miis. In the Nintendo direct itself it was announced a special Smash broadcast would be taking place some time in Decemember 2015. Will this be a big broadcast about the Smash Ballot? Excited to see Cloud in Smash? Let us know in the comments below and stay tuned to Smashboards for future news coverage!

Comments

I wanna see splatoon characters in smash, I'd LOVE to see how the going under the paint will work, maybe your character will leave a splat area wherever they go that lingers 10 seconds or so, and you can go into it and move around super fast. that'd be crazy but crazy awesome hahaha.

I love it how people make the world revolve around them SOOO much that when new characters are announced like Cloud, people complain and whine (We don't know how he will play like) and yet people don't realize that...
  • That's there people who wanted Cloud in Smash in a long time. You may not care for Final Fantasy or Cloud that doesn't mean others won't care. Instead entitled little brat, say "Hmm, I don't care/like this franchise or character. But I'll congrats him and his fans for getting into Smash. There are millions of you guys and a few people working their ass off for this game. People can easily **** on your character, so why on us?
  • This is Sakurai's game. I personally find it annoying when people ask for Ridley, when he said nemours times that he's not a fan of the ideal.

I wanna see splatoon characters in smash, I'd LOVE to see how the going under the paint will work, maybe your character will leave a splat area wherever they go that lingers 10 seconds or so, and you can go into it and move around super fast. that'd be crazy but crazy awesome hahaha.
Yes, inkdeed it would. :p They're by far my most wanted character, and although I would have much preferred them to Cloud, this was an amazing surprise (and I'm happy for all the folks who wanted him in).

Once again. He's still insanely popular, but he didn't necessarily invent or popularize those tropes anywhere except in the West
And that's exactly where it counts. No Cloud isn't THE original, but he's definitely one of the more memorable trailblazers of the trope in the West, especially for video games. Not just the "heroic swordsman", but the "mysterious brooding super-powered sort-of-anti-hero swordsman" many look forward to these days. And there definitely have been imitators (especially by Squeenix themselves...).

LMFAO really? Ryu was dumb enough. Why not add somebody people want. Cloud wasn't even in any games on a nintendo platform. This doesn't even make sense on why they would add something as arbitrary as this.

I like Cloud and all, but I'm still hoping that Isaac comes to Sm4sh... You know, the blonde RPG protagonist that is a Nintendo exclusive and could have an extremely versatile, varied moveset rather than just another sword bro.

I take it you haven't seen this then? Tell me which of those moves are the same as Fox's (barring specials and situational moves).

Venus of the Desert Bloom Venus of the Desert Bloom , he's talking about Wolf. :p
Oh, I see then. Still though, what angers me about the Smash (speculative) community is how easy people are to rant against clones or semi-clones solely based on what they see before using the final product.

@CometX-ing, sorry for jumping on you like that.

For anyone who thinks Cloyd doesn't deserve to be in the roster based on never appearing on a Nintendo console....

Lol

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theatrhythm_Final_Fantasy

Last edited:
" Also, how many other swordsmen have a projectile? Robin, annnnnd... nope. That's it.
Uh, ever heard of Link? lol.. apparently not. Blinded by hype I guess xD

On that note I'm generally happy for this, FF character in smash and all..
But where's Final Fantasy IX appreciation on it's 15th Aniversary?!
Screw you too Square Enix. D:

Not saying it has to be in Smash, but anything would be nice.. at least celebrate it somewhere!

Didn't they do this to VIII too? Why does SE hate every FF but 7 and 13? lol..

Still happy for FF rep though.

im %100 sure this is pre ballot & just because nintendo loves us... this is the best news ever... truly ...if you arnt at least 24 years old... then its hard for you to understand how amazing this is.... but its okay.. just accept it :)

He's just another swordsman, there's already like 7 of them. He doesn't even look that unique.
I love it when people bring that argument.

Characters as of yet in the game: 56
Characters that use swords: 13

That pretty much makes it that 43 characters either use hand-to-hand combat, guns and cannons or special powers. Not to mention clones aside, most swordfighters have their unique styles.

to say i'm disappointed would be an understatement. Of all the FF/square enix characters to choose, they chose one who has absolutely 0 significance to nintendo. the most cloud has ever done, is appeared in KH cameo's for KH games on a nintendo system. Square must have payed a high price to nintendo/sakurai to let them ***** out their poster boy once again. Sakurai also just went back on his word that he would only allow 3rd parties who had some sort of significance to nintendo.

Finally to make matters worse, cloud's moveset looks like a sloppy mix-match of current sword users moves, hell he even has a complete rip-off of Ike's final smash.
I hate to break it to you but OmniSlash predates Ike's final Smash by about 11 years (1997).

Ike took it from CLOUD and he's here to take it back son.

ITT: People who don't understand why choosing cloud was an outstanding financial decision

also ITT: People who still use anime swordfighter as condescension. Anti neckbeards are still neckbeards people.

to say i'm disappointed would be an understatement. Of all the FF/square enix characters to choose, they chose one who has absolutely 0 significance to nintendo. the most cloud has ever done, is appeared in KH cameo's for KH games on a nintendo system. Square must have payed a high price to nintendo/sakurai to let them ***** out their poster boy once again. Sakurai also just went back on his word that he would only allow 3rd parties who had some sort of significance to nintendo.

Finally to make matters worse, cloud's moveset looks like a sloppy mix-match of current sword users moves, hell he even has a complete rip-off of Ike's final smash.
Cloud Final Smash a rip off from Ike's final smash? You do know that Cloud Debuted way before Ike and the Omni-Slash animation is taken from FF7 game right? Final Fantasy has history with Nintendo and Cloud represents the series as a whole. Final Fantasy has always been around and was only popular among die hard RPG Fans but FF7 broke that trend and it became the most recognized Final Fantasy in mainstream media.

So yes, its a smart move to pick Cloud above all the other FF characters. Plus Square Enix is remaking FF7 so its a win win for both companies and its business at the end of the day. I can almost bet that Cloud is pre-ballot just like how Sakuri mentioned that Ryu was already in the works. There is no way they could have cooked up a fully balanced Ballot character just after polls closed last month.

So just wait for the announcement next month for the ballot characters.

I love it when people bring that argument.

Characters as of yet in the game: 56
Characters that use swords: 13

That pretty much makes it that 43 characters either use hand-to-hand combat, guns and cannons or special powers. Not to mention clones aside, most swordfighters have their unique styles.
Yes but you have to realize 13/56 is a huge chunk of the cast, not to mention how stale all of them are. Each one only has one little unique thing about them, and the difference is negligible.

Yes but you have to realize 13/56 is a huge chunk of the cast, not to mention how stale all of them are. Each one only has one little unique thing about them, and the difference is negligible.
Yeah, and there are 11 Mario-verse characters in the game and few people complain on that.

Huh, you're pretty much right, I see no difference between Link and Marth playstyles. Not to mention Robin and Shulk are definetely identical. Let's not also forget how similar is Pit with Meta Knight, they're almost like clones!

Okay, and all of them are completely unique characters, despite the clones (doc and mario)
Firstly, I don't see how clones are "completely unique characters."

I also don't see how the sword wielders are less diverse (aside from, y'know, the sword theme). The majority of the Mario characters just fight using punches, kicks, and other such physical attacks. There are a couple with unique gimmicks, sure (namely the ones introduced in the latest game), but the same can be said for swordsmen.

No doubt in my mind that this is the ballot character. Certainly a better choice then most ideas I've heard...

Limit gauge should be an interesting gimmick. Although really all I care about at this point is if he'll be viable, because he's managed to have an underwhelming trailer. Like every attack of his has tooooons of startup from the looks of things.
... Really?
Most of his attacks looked pretty fast to me.
a lot faster than Ike, at the very least.
Really, the only ones that looked really slow were the projectiles.

I am, lost of words, I did not expect Cloud for like, ever. I know this has nothing to do with the ballot and with this info, I am so stoaked for this. Then came the announcement of MORE smash news NEXT MONTH. SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!!!!!!

Last edited:
People are already jumping the gun about Cloud being a ballot character...

Here's why he isn't...
Long hiatus between Cloud and e3's triple character bundle...seems like a looong time to do nothing but make stages and Mii costumes...you really think they weren't working on any characters?

Also another reason why he's most likely pre-ballot...How many people have asked for him? I barely saw Cloud anywhere in any of the polls all over the internet and if he was mentioned the number was too insignificant...However just because he wasn't as highly requested doesn't mean he's not a popular choice....kinda like Ryu...
Let's not forget that he almost looks complete...after just over ONE MONTH since the ballot ended with a new stage and everything....
Snake and Wolf + some other major content would take that long. Might be a sort of finale to SSB4's content updates...

That, and they didn't have to wait for the ballot to of ended. Never said that the character with the most votes would win after all. The reason Cloud's supports weren't that loud is pretty obvious at this point.

No doubt in my mind that this is the ballot character. Certainly a better choice then most ideas I've heard...

Limit gauge should be an interesting gimmick. Although really all I care about at this point is if he'll be viable, because he's managed to have an underwhelming trailer. Like every attack of his has tooooons of startup from the looks of things.
He definitely looked very slow to me

What a dissapointment. ANOTHER damn anime swordfighter with a bland moveset. And yet ANOTHER 3rd party character. How exciting. I bet he will be garbage tier just like :4lucina::4miisword::4shulk:. And as the cherry in the crap sundae, the trailer was bland and uninspired. Might be in the wrong position for supporting Pichu, Ice Climbers and Ayumi Tachibana, but at least those characters have something to do with Nintendo.

Last edited:
Isaac will never be in a Nintendo game, especially not one rated E for everyone.. it's entire game is literally a series of blasphemous references you act out. if it was some very very subtle thing in one or two levels it could be edited for release, but the games entirely is literally just that. so no, Nintendo wouldn't go anywhere near putting that in smash bros.

as for shovel Knight, even tho this game is a salute to Nintendo, and absolutely E for everyone, I don't think it would make it into smash either, just because it's a new indie game. smash bros characters are either Nintendo characters the developers feel close to, or characters from other franchises who have long proven themselves. This is Ryu, Cloud, Pac Man, unarguably characters that have proven themselves over a decade later. and so for this reason I don't believe shovel Knight, as cool as he would beb, will show up in smash, at least not anytime soon.
tfw when you realise Isaac was an assist trophy in brawl

What a dissapointment. ANOTHER damn anime swordfighter with a bland moveset. And yet ANOTHER 3rd party character. How exciting. I bet he will be garbage tier just like :4lucina::4miisword::4shulk:. And as the cherry in the crap sundae, the trailer was bland and unispired. Might be in the wrong position for supporting Pichu, Ice Climbers and Ayumi Tachibana, but at least those characters have something to do with Nintendo.
The game pulls in more players if they branch out instead of doing only first party Nintendo characters. I don't really see the issue with him having an anime like art style either.

Last edited:
There are no "slots"; they can just make more and more characters until they no longer profits on it. The roster can just shrink to make room for more characters, like it has.
I know that there technically aren't a fixed number of "slots" in the game; I guess I mean more something along the lines of "development time"/"position" or "priority"... At the end of the day, the official roster for Super Smash Bros. 4 will be "capped/finalized" just like its predecessors if/when the stream of downloadable content is terminated - I feel like the development time/priority dedicated towards Cloud was justified and will not have been wasted/been for naught, come the end of SSB4 game development.

I certainly wasn't expecting Cloud but now that it's official I have to say it makes a lot of sense. Cloud has always been the #1 most requested Smash character long before the Smash ballot was even a thing.

Also, HYPE

Also, that FFVII stage looks amazing.

Kirbopher called this **** such a long time ago.

I love ffvii so this is great, but wow this was just unexpected.

Well, this also means that conception of companies don't care to team up with Nintendo like Square Enix.

So, when will Geno join the crew...?

:dazwa:

Top Bottom