• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Cloud Strife Announced For Smash 4!

When the first Nintendo Direct was announced since the passing of Satoru Iwata Nintendo fans were excited. Then Sakurai himself retweeted the direct and the website movie list for Smash broke (something that has happened before other DLC videos released). Well Smash fans the hype was very real as we got a brand new character coming to Smash: Cloud Strife from Final Fantasy 7!

Also hinted in the video are Chocobo costumes for the Miis. In the Nintendo direct itself it was announced a special Smash broadcast would be taking place some time in Decemember 2015. Will this be a big broadcast about the Smash Ballot? Excited to see Cloud in Smash? Let us know in the comments below and stay tuned to Smashboards for future news coverage!

Comments

The excitement for this is making my heart stop.
I wonder if I'm so excited because it wasn't leaked, making it really unexpected for me.
Anyway I sure hope we'll get a crossdressing or female Cloud to go with the Linkle announcement.

Last edited:
I feel sick. Why Cloud when there are PLENTY of more deserving and requested characters? They really muked up this time. I assume he'll come out in December. We have to be getting more.

Before anyone loses it in salt, I'm pretty much convinced this is pre-ballot. Cloud was nowhere near as popular as other characters.

Either way though, I'm super excited about this. Completely unexpected.

.... Nintendo why you do this?

I just want Isaac! Although I do love Final Fantasy 7, but I still want our Golden psynergy user in Smash.

Luckily Cloud doesn't use any of his magic, so I guess Isaac could shake things up with psynergy.

Still Isaac for Smash! Hopefully the Smash broadcast fully reveals Smash ballot results.

And congratulations to whoever wanted Cloud to appear in Smash! :)

Last edited:

Are you kidding me? Another anime swordsman, AND with a super uninspired moveset to boot to the point of recycling Ike's final smash wholesale? Couldn't they give him a more unique moveset??

Nice tasty tears from Shovel Knight, Shantae and Dixie Kong fanboys. I honestly don't mind but Sm4sh fanboys,will never be satisfied :/

Last edited:
He never thought he'd see the day...and quite frankly, neither did we.

Last edited:
Those summons look SICK. I'm excited for Bahamut ZERO and Odin. C'mon. Odin splits the stage in half with Zantetsuken, and Bahamut ZERO's Terra Flare appears in the background destroying stuff before hitting the stage. All we need is Sephiroth's Supernova to destroy the solar system.

I don't get it. Square enix ditched Nintendo and went to Sony's playstation with FF7. Why the hell is he in the game? He's a traitor.

Last edited:
When the first Nintendo Direct was announced since the passing of Satoru Iwata Nintendo fans were excited. Then Sakurai himself retweeted the direct and the website movie list for Smash broke (something that has happened before other DLC videos released). Well Smash fans the hype was very real as we got a brand new character coming to Smash: Cloud Strife from Final Fantasy 7!

Also hinted in the video are Chocobo costumes for the Miis. In the Nintendo direct itself it was announced a special Smash broadcast would be taking place some time in Decemember 2015. Will this be a big broadcast about the Smash Ballot? Excited to see Cloud in Smash? Let us know in

Also hinted in the video are Chocobo costumes for the Miis. In the Nintendo direct itself it was announced a special Smash broadcast would be taking place some time in Decemember 2015. Will this be a big broadcast about the Smash Ballot? Excited to see Cloud in Smash? Let us know in the comments below and stay tuned to Smashboards for future news coverage!
Such fanboy excitement. I wish he looked more cartoon like. BUT WHEN CAN I DOWNLOAD?! I bet there's more in December

Pretty sure no one expected Cloud to be in Smash Bros. except maybe fans of the Final Fantasy games, especially Final Fantasy 7.

Either way, he looks badazz to me. That trailer got me excited to pick him up, though I was going to anyways.

A bit disappointing and curious at the same time. I hope that Cloud wasn't one of the fighter ballot characters, because I didn't hear anything about Cloud when talking about the fighter ballot. All I heard was Shovel Knight, Shantae, King K Rool, Rayman, Wolf... I'm still okay with this. I like anime characters with swords.

ALSO, that last clip... Who else thought of Kirito with Cloud in the black suit? I got Kirito flashback for some reason. XD

Am I the only one who thinks this is a little on the awkward side given the unpleasant history Nintendo has this with this game?

to say i'm disappointed would be an understatement. Of all the FF/square enix characters to choose, they chose one who has absolutely 0 significance to nintendo. the most cloud has ever done, is appeared in KH cameo's for KH games on a nintendo system. Square must have payed a high price to nintendo/sakurai to let them ***** out their poster boy once again. Sakurai also just went back on his word that he would only allow 3rd parties who had some sort of significance to nintendo.

Finally to make matters worse, cloud's moveset looks like a sloppy mix-match of current sword users moves, hell he even has a complete rip-off of Ike's final smash.

I'm sorry, but no. This was just disappointing. There was barely anyone asking for Cloud. Did Sakurai play SSF1? People wanted Sora and Black Mage more than him. He isn't even featured in any real games on Nintendo. Just Kingdom Hearts and a chibi-music spin-off. I mean seriously. People were asking for Issac, King K. Rool, Inkling, Wolf, etc. Instead we get a third party who doesn't even deserve to be in the game. Plus he looks bland as f%$#. He might as well be Shulk+Ike. The only cool about this is the stage.

You guys are such complainers! Out of all the stupid people we could have gotten, Cloud was not one of them! I never thought this would happen, and I am hyped!!!

People People, don't you know what this means?

He is lost. He is a puppet. He has orders from a higher authority...

GENO IS COMING. :troll:

All I have to say about this:

What the heck just happened? Cloud. Smash Bros. Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I have nothing against Cloud, but HOLY CRAP. I did not expect this.

Top Bottom