• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Cloud MU Advice

Jaruto

Smash Cadet
NNID
JarutoATD
As I've learned to improve my ZSS through playing her at my local weekly, and analyzing my overuse of laggy options and finding mixups as to not be predictable, i've struggled more and more with the MU against Cloud.
I feel with the lack of being able to punish Cloud OoS as he pressures my shield with SH B-air and n-air, even with tilts and nair. I have no way to stop him from being all over my shield. Spacing him is also a problem for me, even when using retreating Z-air's.
Also I find that it's really difficult to go for a grab even with a read against him.
Also there is the fact he has the ability to punish ZSS's air game by abusing the mistake that is clouds U-Air.

What should I focus on or look for when facing Cloud? Any tips or advice would be helpful

Last edited:

A Scrub

BonghornLeghorn
NNID
BonghornLeghorn
I guess just wait for a poorly spaced bair/nair and try to space your own nair and zairs as well?

I have a harder time against a good Shulk, not a good ZSS. Maybe practice grinding the MU with Shulk more and use him when the need arrives.

Additionally, I'd be willing to WiFi and work on these with you.

Jaruto

Smash Cadet
NNID
JarutoATD
I have a harder time against a good Shulk, not a good ZSS. Maybe practice grinding the MU with Shulk more and use him when the need arrives.

Additionally, I'd be willing to WiFi and work on these with you.
Well, I "co-main" shulk so i'm up for it,
The matchup against Cloud is to the point where for glory clouds are a struggle for me almost all the time, so any practice would be nice!

Skeeter Mania

Smash Ace
NNID
Ampharos2935
I'd suggest watching sets from Kome from Japan, who has a positive record against almost every Cloud he's played. I'll post some links later if you want.

Jaruto

Smash Cadet
NNID
JarutoATD
My shulk/Cloud MU is pretty fine funny enough, only zss is a big problem for me against him

EDIT: I also love kome, he's what inspired my shulk

Last edited:

SmolNozomi

Smash Cadet
Remember to be wary of ZSS grab, as its ending lag is horrendous, and will most likely end into a punish, unless you're a good distance away.

Also, I know this is obvious, but never forget to underestimate that is LED Sword is radioactive, so make sure your space yourself.

That's about all I can say, since I don't main ZSS nor the thing that resides in the sky, apologizes for that.

Jaruto

Smash Cadet
NNID
JarutoATD
Remember to be wary of ZSS grab, as its ending lag is horrendous, and will most likely end into a punish, unless you're a good distance away.

Also, I know this is obvious, but never forget to underestimate that is LED Sword is radioactive, so make sure your space yourself.

That's about all I can say, since I don't main ZSS nor the thing that resides in the sky, apologizes for that.
(im a ZSS main, asking about how to beat cloud)

Frection

Smash Rookie
(Warning: I am a Marth main and barely play ZSS. This is entirely theory-crafting.)

Basically, as ZSS, there is no safe option to escape this situation, which is why it's so good for Cloud. What you need to do is take an unexpected and riskier option.

Just as food for thought, I reckon getting deliberately hit by an aerial that's supposed to hit your shield is a reasonable idea. If you get hit offstage by a retreating Cloud Bair as ZSS your recovery is godlike. But if you sheild the Bair and then he fakes out a retreat only to punish a hasty defensive option with limit cross slash? That's much worse for you.

Last edited:
Top Bottom