• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Cloud Match Ups and How to Play Them

YP9

Smash Rookie
Hello, I've just picked up Cloud as my main and I wanted to know what his bad match ups are and how to play against them. Thanks!

Axel311

Smash Ace
NNID
axel311
He doesn't have any "bad" MUs, just a handful where he doesn't win solidly. :4diddy::4mario::4sheik: are probably the most common and relevant characters you'll see in tournament who fit that category.

Last edited:

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
If you've just picked up Cloud, hopefully you know he can cancel limit charging by pressing special again, grabbing, rolling, and shielding. Practice doing all this, I'd say also practice cancelling it right before the limit bar fills up so you can avoid unnecessary accidental inputs (like throwing out a charged Blade Beam when you meant to cancel limit). The other thing I'd say is important is learning how to snap the ledge with Clim Hazard; it snaps if you use it right next to the ledge, if you use it above the ledge and go back down with the second hit, and this also makes ledge-trumping easier. Finally, Perfect Pivots and short hop aerials are useful for extending combos and properly spacing.

I find the best way to play Cloud is to charge limit passive aggressively while you space your opponent out with your range. It is a ticking time bomb, it forces the opponent to do something about it. Sheik for example can interrupt it by throwing needles and staying close to you, her goal is to force you to do something else such that she can punish it. Generally speaking, you want to charge limit when your opponent is away from you, offstage after you've launched them, etc. Also, charging limit doesn't mean running to ledge and charging, do not put yourself in a corner, never do that with Cloud.

Effective moves at keeping opponents away would be B-air, f-tilt, retreating f-airs, N-air, etc. Just don't go throwing out these moves willy-nilly either; Cloud has good frame data but a fast character can take advantage of his cool-down / landing lag frames. Cloud with limit can also edgeguard very well with limit beam to the edge (turnaround such that it bursts at the ledge), limit cross-lash, or go deeper offstage with one of his aerials and use limit clim hazard to come back onstage.

Last edited:
Top Bottom