• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Cloud Loses Limit Charge When Hit While Charging

-Cr0w-

Smash Rookie
I heard about this in an article and watched the video to confirm it. It's true. Watch Cloud's meter for the first 20 seconds and you'll see that when Cloud gets hit by Bowser's F-air his limit does decrease.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4EDbBjU9EM

So that adds risk to charging Limit at the very beginning of the match if your opponent has a long-range projectile. As for which MUs this could affect, the first few that come to mind are Snake, the Links, ROB, Bayo, and Sheik.

Still, even if this nerf stays in the release, which it probably will, it doesn't seem too big to me since you can shield before you're hit anyways. Basically, don't charge Limit recklessly.

Bayopuff

Smash Apprentice
As a Cloud player, I'm happy this nerf happened, previously, you just simply could not stop Cloud from charging his limit, maybe that'll give Cloud players the chance to think more creatively and try other strategies except "get away from me and let me charge my limit or you'll fly off the stage".

This is definitely going to give him sort of a hard time against those characters you mentioned, also Mega Man.

-Cr0w-

Smash Rookie
I actually just realized today that while this nerf is something (and I mean that like, it's a nerf but it's not a huge deal imo) it could actually be useful.

Think about it like this, now that people are aware of this nerf, people will def try to exploit it. That being said, I think this nerf could be used to try to bait people to attack. Like, you jump at your opponent and charge Limit, they try to attack, but you double jump and then you can whiff punish with D-air or U-air maybe. Just a thought though.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I actually just realized today that while this nerf is something (and I mean that like, it's a nerf but it's not a huge deal imo) it could actually be useful.

Think about it like this, now that people are aware of this nerf, people will def try to exploit it. That being said, I think this nerf could be used to try to bait people to attack. Like, you jump at your opponent and charge Limit, they try to attack, but you double jump and then you can whiff punish with D-air or U-air maybe. Just a thought though.
Because people didn't have incentive to try and stop Cloud from charging Limit before?

-Cr0w-

Smash Rookie
Now they have more incentive since he loses Limit when he gets hit.

Manonymous

Smash Journeyman
His limit disappear in 30 seconded if not used now I heard. Is that true ? Because if it is, I will be happy.

PokiehlthePoet

Smash Apprentice
His limit disappear in 30 seconded if not used now I heard. Is that true ? Because if it is, I will be happy.
Its 15 seconds :D and yeah limit bar resets to empty if not used within that amount of time.

As Cloud main model #727428, I think its great. As much as playing as limit Cloud with faster everything feels amazing, its silly and the time limit will -------->
give Cloud players the chance to think more creatively and try other strategies except "get away from me and let me charge my limit or you'll fly off the stage
Im really looking forward to playing a more sensible version of him basically. I feel like all of his nerfs will just make him way more fun to play
Looking forward to tryhards dropping him so there will be less limit camp.
And especially looking forward to seeing new combos/strategies emerge.

Manonymous

Smash Journeyman
Its 15 seconds :D and yeah limit bar resets to empty if not used within that amount of time.

As Cloud main model #727428, I think its great.
Why do you find it great ? I mean, if you don't main him, I can understand, but why ?

Last edited:

PokiehlthePoet

Smash Apprentice
Why do you find it great ? I mean, if you don't main him, I can understand, but why ?
Well I'm glad about all of his nerfs really. Smash4 was oversaturated with generic Cloud gameplay and Im hoping his slew of nerfs will...."cleanse the stigma".... The Cloud stigma being just how ridiculously strong the character is. Take it from Zero. Zero said in a video that Clouds nerfs havent taken him away from Top 10 in the tier list but they've basically made him not such a dumbas character anymore. Cause....he was...

Also I like the time limit nerf for the same reasons mentioned above. It will motivate people to take action when they get limit and not camp around for an opening to use it.

I imagine some people are going to love getting revenge on Cloud by camping "him" when he gets limit so he'll waste it xD

Manonymous

Smash Journeyman
Oh I see ;) ! I agree with you, camp Cloud is generic. I love to see alternative gameplay. Maybe we'll see more diversity in the tiers-list this time around.

RandomDude234

Smash Rookie
To be honest, I don't like this nerf they gave Cloud on his limit break. He needs it really bad for his Climhazzard recovery. Otherwise he'll easily be edge-guarded and gimped. His recovery is wack without it. And since his limit break is set to 15 seconds then I don't know what's the point of even having it lol. That's a short amount of time. All the other nerfs were fine, but they should have at least let him keep his limit break imo. I hope they change it in the final build or at least patch it up.

PokiehlthePoet

Smash Apprentice
Yeah the edge-guarding thing is pretty scary. Will definitely have to be using regular up-b more often.

But his regular up-b has that buff where you get away with doing his up-b ledgestall thing from a lower height then before without just plummeting to the abyss... will probably be pretty useful in a lot of cases. Hopefully anyway.

RandomDude234

Smash Rookie
Yeah the edge-guarding thing is pretty scary. Will definitely have to be using regular up-b more often.

But his regular up-b has that buff where you get away with doing his up-b ledgestall thing from a lower height then before without just plummeting to the abyss... will probably be pretty useful in a lot of cases. Hopefully anyway.
Yeah, Cloud being edge-guarded and gimped is my only concern lol. It is indeed scary. I saw a Ness take down Cloud easy throwing him off the stage and then using his PK Thunder, not letting Cloud get back on stage, and then pushing him away from the stage with his forward air where Cloud's recovery is useless in both situations.. But I guess, we're going to have to bait & punish the players since Cloud's ground game will be better overall this time around and not give the opponent a chance to breathe and throw us off stage.

PokiehlthePoet

Smash Apprentice
Yeah Cloud players are going to have to have a solid recovery game this time around for sure...

FanGoH

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-0717-4583-9400
I agree that balancing Cloud was necessary, still has some good uses, as Cloud in Sm4sh I would sometimes end getting the limit in an uncomfortable position extremely fast, I think the change deserves more analysis in getting implications

PokiehlthePoet

Smash Apprentice
We are!? How so? Where's such been seen?
Check out Zeros vids about Marth and Snake in Ultimate he posted recently. They both have nice examples of how edgeguarding is stronger. The Snake video is titled "Snake might struggle in Ultimate" and he talks about how Snake being easily edgeguarded is one of the biggest reasons why he might struggle :o

I think he talks about the edgeguarding mechanics in one of those vids too. It applies to every character so when considering Cloud its kinda like... damn. But its cool at the same time cause his recovery meta will evolve. Walljumps, side-b stalling and drifting in tricky ways will become more common :D

Top Bottom