• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Clipping Through Yoshi's in Teams

CAUP

Smash Journeyman
Video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZNU6LGXKas

General

I think clipping your teammate through yoshi's could be an actual strategy in teams.

This works with a lot of different throws with a lot of different characters. Just because a throw works with one character doesn't mean it works with another (for instance Puff's back throw might be able to clip Peach through the wall but it might not be able to clip Puff through the wall). At least for Peach's back throw, the timing isn't hard. I think a big component of how lenient the timing is is how long the character being thrown is behind the character doing the throwing (honestly though it's really confusing trying to figure out why some throws work with some characters and some don't). Peach's back throw has a lot of frames where the character being thrown is behind her.

You want to time it so that the character doing the throwing is pushed off Randall as the character being thrown is inside the wall. Also, this doesn't just work with back throws. Forward throws also work and I'm sure a few up throws and down throws work as well.

To land on Randall after being thrown, simply don't hold a direction. You can also buffer shield so you can see where you are under the stage (shields show through the stage).

You can clip through on the right and left sides of the stage, though some throws may only be able to throw some characters through one side. I don't really know. I haven't tested this with all the different character combinations on both sides of yoshi's.

About the video

In this specific clip, the Peach doing the first throw buffers a float. And then the second peach immediately grabs and down throws (you can press z too early and get a nair). This set up is percent dependent as the down-thrown peach will only land on Randall at low percents.

The stall underneath the stage is actually way harder than the clip. Especially if you are doing it in normal melee, where you can't see where you are. Also this stall as Peach is imperfect as they can hit you when you land after the air dodge and when you drop through Randall (you could shield drop but that just exposes your shield). Also some moves can reach through the stage and hit you in crouch. It doesn't help that Peach is a tall character.

Keep in mind you can attack during the stall. One option is throwing turnips up through the floor to attack (you can also throw turnips through the walls but they will not have hitboxes since turnips will not have a hitbox after touching a wall).

Stalling under the stage

To my knowledge the only characters that can stay in the air long enough to survive the portion where Randall is not present underneath the stage are Peach and Puff. So this means that these are the only characters that can perpetually stay underneath the stage (maybe a luigi ladder would work? But that seems really hard and impractical). All the other character just get to stay under until Randall exits.

As you see from the video, double peach can stall under yoshi's forever. But there are holes in the stall where they can just get hit.

Puff's stall has much smaller holes. Puff is shorter in general so just barely sticks above the ground. And Puff can simply crouch. Not many moves can hit puff through the ground while crouching. Double Puff stalling isn't really practical though, as you have to pound to stall and it's really hard to not get hit by your team mate's pound. Also as Puff it's harder to keep track of where you are underneath yoshi's compared to Peach (who just floats in place most of the time). Puff is super good at poking up through the stage though.

Going under for a single cycle

I can see this being useful as a funny mixup with almost every character. You don't know when the opponent is just going to come out of the floor and attack. Also it can be used to charge needles or a charge shot or anything like that. It would be really cool if there was a set up where Fox and Ness could both get under the stage and Fox could quickly heal Ness (we experimented with it a little bit and were able to use Ness's forward throw on the left side of the stage to clip Fox through, but in our testing we couldn't get Fox's grab to not be broken by the wall). There's a lot of room for experimentation.

Conclusion

Thanks to my brother D DCW for helping me with this. I look forward to more information coming out about this glitch.

Top Bottom