• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Climbing the Ranks - Travis Touchdown For Switch Smash!

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
tl;dr, here's to hoping for that, since I have the small worry I'll be unimpressed.
Wouldn't worry too much. Most assassins in the first game seemed low-key for my taste, since the Nintendo Power preview hyped them to be crazier than Metal Gear bosses, and I mostly only got that with Bad Girl and Letz Shake. NMH2 definitely compensated in that area for me (especially with Nathan Copeland).

With everything being escalated even further, it's hard to imagine what looniness we're getting with this batch.

In any case, for the sake of comparison, No Straight Roads' bosses had some really exotic (if relatively humanoid) boss designs that were also nicely complemented by their personalities. So if NMH3's bosses are anything like those, with Suda back in full form no less, we should be in for a treat.

Henry killed three assassins off-screen in the second game (though Travis only went up two ranks) - maybe one of them wasn't quite dead and comes back looking for revenge against "some jerk with a beam katana"?
Nah man, we'll fight the relative of the guy(s) that Henry killed, you know how this works by now. :4pacman:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I just beat No More Heroes on the Switch! Mild difficulty wasn't as tough as I remembered it (the only times that I died were against Shinobu and the Rank 1 boss, though I came pretty close to dying with the secret boss), though maybe I was remembering my Bitter playthrough on the Wii instead.

Travis has a wider variety of attacks than I remembered (both before and after Thunder Ryu's training to increase his combos), and I wasn't aware that Tsubaki Mark 3's low charge attack is a three part combo that can clear out a wide area.

I had a lot of fun with revisiting this game, and I'm looking forward to revisiting No More Heroes 2 next! (Though that will probably wait until tomorrow)

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
I just beat No More Heroes on the Switch! Mild difficulty wasn't as tough as I remembered it (the only times that I died were against Shinobu and the Rank 1 boss, though I came pretty close to dying with the secret boss), though maybe I was remembering my Bitter playthrough on the Wii instead.

Travis has a wider variety of attacks than I remembered (both before and after Thunder Ryu's training to increase his combos), and I wasn't aware that Tsubaki Mark 3's low charge attack is a three part combo that can clear out a wide area.

I had a lot of fun with revisiting this game, and I'm looking forward to revisiting No More Heroes 2 next! (Though that will probably wait until tomorrow)
I think my only deaths were like 3-5 to Bad Girl. She has so much health and her OHK can get you if your not careful when you stop targeting her and the camera resets while your already running away from her, making you run back towards her, sometimes by then it's too late. Also I think she got me twice just by snagging me with strong moves and her fiery AoE.

Schonberg

Smash Journeyman
They haven't given out a full release date for NMH3 yet, right?
Nope. Only news of a release date ever were:
-Vague 2020 (given at TGA 2019)
-delay to Vague 2021 (Given mid-2020)

So there COULD be news of it at TGA 2020 this Thursday, but otherwise no, there has never been a concrete release date for the game.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Nope. Only news of a release date ever were:
-Vague 2020 (given at TGA 2019)
-delay to Vague 2021 (Given mid-2020)

So there COULD be news of it at TGA 2020 this Thursday, but otherwise no, there has never been a concrete release date for the game.
Well, let's hope for an actual release date in 2021 soon

SSBCandidates

Smash Lord
But this game is a bit like Kill Bill x Deadpool x Toxic Masculinity.
I am sorry but what do you mean with Toxic Masculinity? I know there are guidelines in this forum but that sounds harsh, why is it OK to view masculinity as something evil? Yeah Travis is an Anti-Hero who lusts for women, but that is the point of his character. Why is it OK if a female lesbian character lusts and objectifies other women, even straight ones against their consent? I do not want to get this into some heated debate, but why such description? I mean, what happens when the ideologies of protected groups clash? Look, I am from Mexico and well, here... yes progressive views are being implemented but doubt they will fly by like in other nations and rather fit their own. Let us just say that indigenous groups from here are highly conservative and their beliefs need to be respected too.

Sorry for getting a bit off subject but; as a Mexican I feel that was uncalled for as it is just a game. And sadly now many people refer to both Goichi Suda and his character Travis as nobodies after being just a Mii costume in Smash after the Minecraft reveal. Which saying again is uncalled for to disrespect Goichi Suda who simply created a character and does not reflect who the real life person is.

And besides, yes Travis is a perv towards females; but there are hints that he could be bisexual as there are some hints that he had something with Thunder Ryu while being trained by him, to reflect something of ancient Japanese culture on how Samurai used to have relationships with their disciples, which while openly homosexual and not shun, it is a thing of macho Japanese men being attracted to other macho Japanese game. Which actually still happens to date in many parts of the world. On how masculine looking guys are actually homosexual who prefer other masculine homosexual men, and like wise non-masculine men who are not homosexual.

What I am trying to get is that I really do not see in Travis or other characters in No More Heroes as Toxic Masculinity, I simply see characters and nothing more. And while Travis' possible bisexuality is not openly seen, it does have to do character and plotwise related due to simply having a relation to Thunder Ryu. Travis could be openly homosexual and he would still be Travis. He would just not be going for any females, but I see he would still have the same personality.

Anyway, to not drag much of the subject. While I said that if show our support to Travis by buying the Mii costume, it could be a double edged sword. As maybe we are sending the message to Nintendo that we are OK with Travis or other characters stuck as Mii costumes since they will still get lots of money on them. And not bother to make fully playable characters.

Oddly with Travis seemingly gone to be fully playable; if there is fully playable representation from No More Heroes, Henry's chances have raised also considering what happened with Min Min. As personally I like Henry better and would rather play with him in Smash bros. But I am not sure if to make another support thread on Henry like during the 3DS/Wii U days as if there really will not be any NMH representation, it would be a waste of time and effort. But if some here it is OK for me to make a Henry thread, OK I will do it but not sure what kind of info to place. Unless someone rightfully beats me to it lol.

To continue with the Travis subject, this is somewhat of a conspiracy theory, and I know some in this thread hate such things and call people who propose them as crazy lol. OK from how we see the Mii costume, he seems to be based on Strikes Again. Which is a spinoff and many find it as an odd game where we do not play with the full potential Travis haves.

Hear me out, so far we have 2 main NMH games. In NMH2, Travis gained new abilities and tools compared to his first game, Characters in Smash, well some reflect their current times or are there to promote a recent/popular game. What if Travis is actually coming to Smash, but he is going to be based on his NMH3 incarnation? A game not yet released, and if Travis would appear in Smash with all of the new things he would use on his latest game, it would spoil NHM3 for us?

The game was scheduled for a 2020 release when officially announced in late 2019, and even Travis jokingly said "good luck with that" like if he knew the current situation we sadly live world wide. And with the game pushed to 2021 plus real world matters, some here even say the game will come out until 2022.

So for now while we wait, we are given the option of buying a Mii costume somewhat based on TSA: as Travis itself is still being worked and not yet released since it will spoil NMH3. Plus Suda has said if Travis got into Smash, he would be a wrestling type like Incineroar, and while of course I would love to see Travis do wrestling moves; his main thing is that he is a sword user, and I know by now many people hate swords but it would be pointless for him not to have swords. So maybe Travis in Smash will be using newer wrestling moves and swords which will be in NMH3. Also who knows if he might use his "Iron Man armor" in the game somehow as is Up B or even his Final Smash, or if he even gets brand new toys in NMH3 but it would be a true spoil to use and see them in Smash before the actual game.

Also. Many people wonder how a Travis stage would be, many say it should be the parking lot of the motel, others say that it should be a trip around Santa Destroy. Personally, I wanted a stage based on the final battle of NMH2 with blimp Jasper as a stage hazzard. But considering NMH3 will expand things with space and aliens, maybe something like Sephiroth's stage where you start in Santa Destroy and go to space and/or fight in Fu's planet, the planet of any of the aliens or that space prison where Fu got his pose, who knows. And cameos from the new characters which would further spoil things up.

Again, this is just a theory. Maybe saying conspiracy theory is too controversial, and I know people hate that. But a college of mine who is a psychiatrist says there is nothing wrong with theories. As that is all what they are, theories. And I do not want to give fake hope, so who knows.

While not exactly a full bone Travis supporter, I do feel he deserves it after Goichi Suda was the second know creator in line who wanted his character in the Smash series, just next to Hideo Kojima, who was the first and opened the door with Snake. And he has earned it considering how faithful he has been to Nintendo.

But hey, those are just my opinions. The opinions of some Mexican guy.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I am sorry but what do you mean with Toxic Masculinity? I know there are guidelines in this forum but that sounds harsh, why is it OK to view masculinity as something evil? Yeah Travis is an Anti-Hero who lusts for women, but that is the point of his character. Why is it OK if a female lesbian character lusts and objectifies other women, even straight ones against their consent? I do not want to get this into some heated debate, but why such description? I mean, what happens when the ideologies of protected groups clash? Look, I am from Mexico and well, here... yes progressive views are being implemented but doubt they will fly by like in other nations and rather fit their own. Let us just say that indigenous groups from here are highly conservative and their beliefs need to be respected too.

Sorry for getting a bit off subject but; as a Mexican I feel that was uncalled for as it is just a game. And sadly now many people refer to both Goichi Suda and his character Travis as nobodies after being just a Mii costume in Smash after the Minecraft reveal. Which saying again is uncalled for to disrespect Goichi Suda who simply created a character and does not reflect who the real life person is.

And besides, yes Travis is a perv towards females; but there are hints that he could be bisexual as there are some hints that he had something with Thunder Ryu while being trained by him, to reflect something of ancient Japanese culture on how Samurai used to have relationships with their disciples, which while openly homosexual and not shun, it is a thing of macho Japanese men being attracted to other macho Japanese game. Which actually still happens to date in many parts of the world. On how masculine looking guys are actually homosexual who prefer other masculine homosexual men, and like wise non-masculine men who are not homosexual.

What I am trying to get is that I really do not see in Travis or other characters in No More Heroes as Toxic Masculinity, I simply see characters and nothing more. And while Travis' possible bisexuality is not openly seen, it does have to do character and plotwise related due to simply having a relation to Thunder Ryu. Travis could be openly homosexual and he would still be Travis. He would just not be going for any females, but I see he would still have the same personality.

Anyway, to not drag much of the subject. While I said that if show our support to Travis by buying the Mii costume, it could be a double edged sword. As maybe we are sending the message to Nintendo that we are OK with Travis or other characters stuck as Mii costumes since they will still get lots of money on them. And not bother to make fully playable characters.

Oddly with Travis seemingly gone to be fully playable; if there is fully playable representation from No More Heroes, Henry's chances have raised also considering what happened with Min Min. As personally I like Henry better and would rather play with him in Smash bros. But I am not sure if to make another support thread on Henry like during the 3DS/Wii U days as if there really will not be any NMH representation, it would be a waste of time and effort. But if some here it is OK for me to make a Henry thread, OK I will do it but not sure what kind of info to place. Unless someone rightfully beats me to it lol.

To continue with the Travis subject, this is somewhat of a conspiracy theory, and I know some in this thread hate such things and call people who propose them as crazy lol. OK from how we see the Mii costume, he seems to be based on Strikes Again. Which is a spinoff and many find it as an odd game where we do not play with the full potential Travis haves.

Hear me out, so far we have 2 main NMH games. In NMH2, Travis gained new abilities and tools compared to his first game, Characters in Smash, well some reflect their current times or are there to promote a recent/popular game. What if Travis is actually coming to Smash, but he is going to be based on his NMH3 incarnation? A game not yet released, and if Travis would appear in Smash with all of the new things he would use on his latest game, it would spoil NHM3 for us?

The game was scheduled for a 2020 release when officially announced in late 2019, and even Travis jokingly said "good luck with that" like if he knew the current situation we sadly live world wide. And with the game pushed to 2021 plus real world matters, some here even say the game will come out until 2022.

So for now while we wait, we are given the option of buying a Mii costume somewhat based on TSA: as Travis itself is still being worked and not yet released since it will spoil NMH3. Plus Suda has said if Travis got into Smash, he would be a wrestling type like Incineroar, and while of course I would love to see Travis do wrestling moves; his main thing is that he is a sword user, and I know by now many people hate swords but it would be pointless for him not to have swords. So maybe Travis in Smash will be using newer wrestling moves and swords which will be in NMH3. Also who knows if he might use his "Iron Man armor" in the game somehow as is Up B or even his Final Smash, or if he even gets brand new toys in NMH3 but it would be a true spoil to use and see them in Smash before the actual game.

Also. Many people wonder how a Travis stage would be, many say it should be the parking lot of the motel, others say that it should be a trip around Santa Destroy. Personally, I wanted a stage based on the final battle of NMH2 with blimp Jasper as a stage hazzard. But considering NMH3 will expand things with space and aliens, maybe something like Sephiroth's stage where you start in Santa Destroy and go to space and/or fight in Fu's planet, the planet of any of the aliens or that space prison where Fu got his pose, who knows. And cameos from the new characters which would further spoil things up.

Again, this is just a theory. Maybe saying conspiracy theory is too controversial, and I know people hate that. But a college of mine who is a psychiatrist says there is nothing wrong with theories. As that is all what they are, theories. And I do not want to give fake hope, so who knows.

While not exactly a full bone Travis supporter, I do feel he deserves it after Goichi Suda was the second know creator in line who wanted his character in the Smash series, just next to Hideo Kojima, who was the first and opened the door with Snake. And he has earned it considering how faithful he has been to Nintendo.

But hey, those are just my opinions. The opinions of some Mexican guy.
If you want to talk to me about politico-social sexism in other countries, I'm pretty well versed in Mexico's history and am happy to get into the culture of machismo, as well as how it can be oppressive to many individuals, from my eyes. That's not to call it wrong, just to call it what it is.

But this isn't a forum topic.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I'm currently replaying No More Heroes 1 on Switch. I adore it. It's really not the usual type of game I love, but No More Heroes is so over the top and comedic I can't help but enjoy it.

Travis Touchdown is indeed an absolute jughead in the first game who thinks entirely with his genitals and goes between acting like a rude asshole to being a pleading little puppy in the same sentences when it comes to trying to get Sylvia to sleep with him, but he also treads a very thin line between 'cool' and 'pathetic' with him being the absolute butt of the jokes more often than he's seen as someone praise worthy.

I'm not sure I agree on the toxic masculinity though: He's very expressive and doesn't hide his emotions very well. His outfit was very fashionable at the time, which shows he cares about his own looks as well, and his default t-shirt is a magical girl moe show which he wears proudly, which aren't the usual picks for male toxicity where you're emphasising how manly you are.

I honestly think he was before his time, but as a loser archetype character rather than a toxic masculinity one:
He thinks he's a badass who deserves the girl and is perfectly willing to kill but at the same time everyone around him bar his best friend Bishop and his pet cat thinks he's a loser.
He's called an otaku, a *****, a third rater, an idiot and a loser over and over again even by the people who are actively helping him through the game. Everybody hates Travis to some extent in the first game, and it's utterly justifiable because he's a **** to everyone around him...bar Bishop and his pet cat.

That said Travis has some good points too:
  • He dislikes civilians getting caught up in these assassin fights when assassin 8 murders her classmates to keep her identity secret.
  • He loves his best friend(as seen by the second game) and his adorable cat dearly who he fusses over.
  • He doesn't want to harm children, nor does he want to encourage kids to follow his path of murder and mayhem.
  • He doesn't take cheap shots at his opponents unlike Assassin number 7.
  • He believes in honourable fights to the death, as seen when he gets angry when Assassin 7 from the second game gets dishonourably killed, or when another assassin kills his opponents behind his back without them getting a fair chance.
  • He's even capable of feeling some sympathy for his opponents, most notably in No More Heroes 2 with assassins 7, 4, 3 and 2, but even vaguely hinted at with the first game as early as with assassin 9 where they at least allow them to finish their shout out to their daughter before dying, assassin 8(who if you know who it is, was a good call) and assassin 6...and then there's Travis Strikes Again where he agrees to help bring back one of the assassins from the first game who almost killed him because of their family.
He's rude, he's crude and he's far from a good dude, but Travis does have some semblence of morality.

That said as much as someone who enjoys Travis, I just can't get behind him in Smash. He'd have to be so heavily censored that it wouldn't be worth it for me.
When jerking off is a legitimate part of your weapon's energy source and bloody violence and swearing is your bread and butter, I just feel they'd need to neuter Travis too much to get him in. Which would suck.

I know Bayonetta and Snake both got censored but I personally don't want to see a Travis Touchdown who is watching his language in Smash.
If they bleep the swears, maybe.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I'm nearing the end of my playthrough of No More Heroes 2 on the Switch!

It holds up better than I remember, particularly the mini-games (aside from the scorpion catching one, which is funny, but basically gets you no money). I even managed to get all of Ryan's upgrades - the final strength upgrade took me about eight tries, but eventually, I got the timing down. (though it helped that I got lucky with the final barrage of large weights - it happened to go "Up down up down up", and I must have been in the zone in terms of getting the timing right)

However, some features seem lacking compared to the first game. For one thing, Naomi's shop is completely pointless after the third or fourth boss fight - in the previous game, you could get upgrades to increase the battery life of individual swords, but here, she just sells two swords and that's it. They could have added parts that increased the length of your combo (Thunder Ryu's training used to do that, but that's not the case in this game), increased your battery life, made your attacks faster, etc. As it stands, there's no reason to go back there once you've got the second and third sword.

Also, it would have been nice if some collectibles had a practical use. Take the UAA Killer Collection - every so often, you find models of the weapons that the individual bosses use. You can't even zoom in on them, or get a good look at them since camera movement is limited in Travis's apartment. The first game had a ton of concept art scattered throughout the world - I get that this game removed the open world aspect, but they could have added treasure chests with concept art in them for a New Game Plus playthrough, to give you some incentive to actually play New Game Plus. (as it stands, there's no reason to, since you can theoretically get everything but a single shirt and an E3 2009 trailer in your first playthrough, and you unlock those two at the very start of New Game Plus)

The game's still solid, and the bosses definitely change things up from the first game (Nathan Copeland, Margaret Moonlight, and Dr. Letz Shake are highlights for me, and from what I recall, so are Captain Vladimir and Alice Twilight), but they took some weird steps backwards with this one. (the levels leading up to the bosses don't seem as memorable for the most part, with some like the boss that I previously spoiler-tagged and Ryuji not even having levels at all)

Hopefully No More Heroes 3 addresses some of these, or at least gives us a concept art gallery.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
So, if we don't get a Partner Showcase this month somehow, when are we supposed to hear about NMH3's release date?

Also, it depends on how much budget it got. Suda's games aren't exactly known for being mainstream hits (heck, Let It Die has the option to play the game without using any of the MTX), which is why Grasshopper did licensed games sometimes.

Also also, some fans didn't like the "empty overworld" in the first game, so the sequel had everything but the boss fights (and levels leading to them, if any) be optional to the point that there isn't any travel beyond scene transitions. Granted, Suda wasn't in the director position for a game between NMH1 and TSA, so that may have been a factor too.

Last edited:

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
I haven't played NMH yet. Could anyone give me an idea of what the most violent or sexual things in the games are without spoiling the story?

Last edited:

Schonberg

Smash Journeyman
I haven't played NMH yet. Could anyone give me an idea of what the most violent or sexual things in the games are without spoiling the story?
Violent? Every single enemy you defeat, boss or mook, is either sliced in half in a comically massive blood spray or stabbed through after a wrestling move. It’s actually taken so far to the extreme, with explosions of blood that look like gallons more than the human body can handle erupting out, that it’s hard to really take offense to it. No detailed gore a la modern Mortal Kombat, but it’s still definitely violent.

Sexual? It’s mostly just language and innuendo, though some characters do get some camera angles in cutscenes that flaunt their bodies.

Last edited:

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Violent? Every single enemy you defeat, boss or mook, is either sliced in half in a comically massive blood spray or stabbed through after a wrestling move. It’s actually taken so far to the extreme, with explosions of blood that look like gallons more than the human body can handle erupting out, that it’s hard to really take offense to it. No detailed gore a la modern Mortal Kombat, but it’s still definitely violent.

Sexual? It’s mostly just language and innuendo, though some characters do get some camera angles in cutscenes that flaunt their bodies.
just checking if I should put Travis on my roster.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Like roster of wanted characters?
It's part of a series of rosters designed to make the most people happy while following a few principles. I've been pretty much done with the 40- and 50-character rosters for a while, so I've started to think about who to add in a 60-character roster (even though I don't think that many characters is very realistic). It sounds like Travis is probably fine to add.

Schonberg

Smash Journeyman
It's part of a series of rosters designed to make the most people happy while following a few principles. I've been pretty much done with the 40- and 50-character rosters for a while, so I've started to think about who to add in a 60-character roster (even though I don't think that many characters is very realistic). It sounds like Travis is probably fine to add.
Ohhhh, interesting! But yes, Travis would definitely fit on a roster like that. The gratuitous blood splatter and bisecting can easily be cut out much like with Bayonetta. The biggest obstacle is how to keep Travis’ personality intact between his generally crass nature and... colorful vocabulary.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Ohhhh, interesting! But yes, Travis would definitely fit on a roster like that. The gratuitous blood splatter and bisecting can easily be cut out much like with Bayonetta. The biggest obstacle is how to keep Travis’ personality intact between his generally crass nature and... colorful vocabulary.
I cut Bayonetta and Snake.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

I love how Suda's reaction is "I've never heard of this movie before, but my next game is basically going to be that."

EDIT: No More Heroes 3 comes out August 27th.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Henry got a new voice actor and a redesign.

Also, it seems like there's going to be ten bosses, unless we get a fake-out where a boss is killed off-screen or in a cutscene. Though I could see there being a bonus boss - maybe the executive who is working with Fu, since he's based on an EA executive and I could see that being cathartic for Suda if he had a bad time working on Shadows of the Damned. (I'm not sure of the development history of that game, but I know that there was a decent amount of executive meddling involved)

EDIT: Alternatively, I haven't played much of Killer7 (I got the game on the Gamecube, but the disc didn't work, and I got it on Steam, but I haven't sat down to play it), but maybe the Smith Syndicate as a bonus boss? Suda got them to appear in Travis Strikes Again.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Henry got a new voice actor and a redesign.

Also, it seems like there's going to be ten bosses, unless we get a fake-out where a boss is killed off-screen or in a cutscene. Though I could see there being a bonus boss - maybe the executive who is working with Fu, since he's based on an EA executive and I could see that being cathartic for Suda if he had a bad time working on Shadows of the Damned. (I'm not sure of the development history of that game, but I know that there was a decent amount of executive meddling involved)

Henry straight up looks like he wandered off into the Silver Case-verse for a few years and got branded by Kamui. Wonder what's up there.

Also, it's a given that one of the alien superheroes may get offed by Destroyman's latest iteration.

Last edited by a moderator:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Okay, so we know that there's 8 other aliens besides Fu (possible Destroyman revenge shenanigans notwithstanding), and when you add them up with Damon, that makes 10 superheroes, so it stands to reason that Fu and Damon would be Rank 1 and 2, respectively.

No idea if there will be occasional independent adversaries between the ranking battles, though.

Last edited:

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
I'm surprised everybody is forgetting that we got art of an older Kimmy Howell in this game. What will her role be, a surprise boss? A playable segment a la Shinobu and Henry from 2? I'm personally way more interested in that than the theorized totally expected Destroyman surprise fight (even tohugh it probably will be dope.).

Also, is it just me or with the strides we've made in gaming, and with Suda and Grasshopper hopefully having more funding, is it too much to ask to think that we could probably have more than just 10 levels and boss fights? I feel like even a couple more could make future NMH titles stand out and get more content out of the games. I'd be down for a NMH title with 2-3 extra guys, but maybe go as far as 15 or more if the story was there and the gameplay loop could keep people engaged without the fights getting boring.

Actually, come to think of it games like Dark Souls have much bigger and and still a ton more bosses than NMH. I almost feel like there isn't an excuse.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I'm surprised everybody is forgetting that we got art of an older Kimmy Howell in this game. What will her role be, a surprise boss? A playable segment a la Shinobu and Henry from 2? I'm personally way more interested in that than the theorized totally expected Destroyman surprise fight (even tohugh it probably will be dope.).

Also, is it just me or with the strides we've made in gaming, and with Suda and Grasshopper hopefully having more funding, is it too much to ask to think that we could probably have more than just 10 levels and boss fights? I feel like even a couple more could make future NMH titles stand out and get more content out of the games. I'd be down for a NMH title with 2-3 extra guys, but maybe go as far as 15 or more if the story was there and the gameplay loop could keep people engaged without the fights getting boring.

Actually, come to think of it games like Dark Souls have much bigger and and still a ton more bosses than NMH. I almost feel like there isn't an excuse.
Oh god, I didn't know that! I was wondering how she's been coping with being friendzoned into submission, so it's nice to see that loose end being addressed.

I guess that in this case "less is more". If enough people asked about more length for NMH games, I'm kind of scared that he'd pull off something similar to The 25th Ward remake's final bonus epilogue chapter.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Oh god, I didn't know that! I was wondering how she's been coping with being friendzoned into submission, so it's nice to see that loose end being addressed.

I guess that in this case "less is more". If enough people asked about more length for NMH games, I'm kind of scared that he'd pull off something similar to The 25th Ward remake's final bonus epilogue chapter.
Yep - we've gotten concept art for her and Destroyman.

(Kimmy's redesign is by Mari Shimazaki, who designed Bayonetta, which explains the ludicrously long legs)

According to Suda, the last Destroyman is allegedly a design of what he'd look like if he appeared in No More Heroes 4, but I'm assuming it's a second stage of the boss fight. (the first Destroyman shown is a mass-produced model)

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Unexpectedly pleasant news, the first two games are getting a physical release!

I'd say this makes up for the limited edition of NMH2 being Japan-only for no reason.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

There's a livestream for No More Heroes 3 - I'm not sure how much of it is new information, since it's all in Japanese, but it looks like there are quite a few things returning from Travis Strikes Again, including the Death Glove, ramen stands, and (though I think we knew this already) Bad Girl. (she seemingly shows up at the very beginning of the game, which seems like it will be confusing if people skipped Travis Strikes Again) Also, grass cutting returns, and another side mission has Travis suplexing alligators while trying to catch fish.

EDIT: Looks like Bad Girl is going to be more important to NHM3 than I thought - the box art for what appears to be a two-pack with NMH1/2 and NMH3 has Bad Girl alongside Travis, Sylvia, Henry, and Shinobu. I'll post it when I get the chance.

(spoiler-tagging for the sake of size)

EDIT: Also, there's a new trailer. I'm linking it because it's got the sort of content that you'd expect for this series, so it won't show up even if I embed it.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I don't know about you all, but I feel like Henry's strictly going to have an antagonistic role this time around.

Back in TSA's DLC, Henry acted really weird and is apparently running an organization now, and sent some grunts to try and eliminate Travis.

Also, from what I could gather, it seems that bosses will be fought in multiple phases, like in TSA.

Edit: Well, seeing as Henry is getting his voice actor replaced, I can feel better about the character design change.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Nintendo covered No More Heroes 3 as part of the Treehouse Live event. I don't think I'd be able to embed it (the embedded version would just redirect you to Youtube anyway), so I'll just link it.

Schonberg

Smash Journeyman
Nintendo covered No More Heroes 3 as part of the Treehouse Live event. I don't think I'd be able to embed it (the embedded version would just redirect you to Youtube anyway), so I'll just link it.

I’m so glad to see it in action again because it looks like it’s running a LOT smoother than the last Nintendo Direct trailer made it out to look.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Well, this is it, a little over two weeks left before NMH3 launches.

Honestly, I think it'll be good to see Full Armor Travis shine by its own merits, that device practically screams FS material, but we don't know just what kind of crazy feats Travis will accomplish with it, so I'm fine with it sitting out on Smash for now. Besides, the fact that the entire series is on one console for new players to check out will help in the long run, since it's rare for Grasshopper games to get that.

That said, hypothetically speaking, I can't recall if it's been brought up before, but would you all be fine with Travis' content representing Grasshopper as a whole? I feel like it'd be the only way to get music from Killer 7 (with Capcom's approval) and the Silver Case games, among other games of theirs.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Hard to believe that No More Heroes 3 is coming out in about four days.

Also, review codes have been sent out, so it's probably best to avoid Youtube for the next little bit if possible - I feel like some channels will have videos showing every single boss in the game before it's even released, and I, for one, would like to go in knowing as little as possible. (I'm assuming that there's going to be at least one bait-and-switch, as is a series tradition)

Top Bottom