• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Climbing the Ranks - Travis Touchdown For Switch Smash!

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

I'm not sure if the price that's shown changes depending on region, but they should be less than $20 each. (for me, it shows $17.99, since they're on sale for 10% off)

Flyboy

Smash Hero
This is such amazing news. Now more people can finally play ALL of the series I love so much, all on the same console! It's a shame it didn't come with Travis in Smash, but considering we've been fighting for anything, the fact that we got a cool costume and some amazing ports (Uncensored and 60FPS?? Wow.) and NMH3 is looking incredible? Hot damn.

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
I've already bought NMH 1&2 from the Eshop. Here's hoping this gets people interested in the NMH franchise, and gets them to try the first two games. Maybe this time come the next five or ten years as we speculate on another Smash game, the Travis supporters will reign in the dozens.

Not strictly related to NMH but i've been enjoying the Age of Calamity demo too. It's cathartic to switch from playing Hack n Slash to Hack n Slash.

Last edited:

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
Honestly surprised Travis didn't make the cut. I always felt that if we DID get an Indie fighter, Travis had the highest chances.

Whether or not Mii custumes deconfirm a character, in mine opinion, is a moot topic. That said, given how much detail they put into Travis's costume, I doubt he's among the remaining four.

I really enjoyed No More Heroes 1&2 on the Wii, and am really looking forward to the Switch ports. Looking back, what I hated about the first game was the Grand Theft Auto-esque world map. I would have liked it better if they took on a more arcade-like approach, where you're given a number of continues--and upon clearing the first stage you would immediately advance to the next, and so on. Instead of driving around some deadbeat town, doing boring, repetitive side-jobs. Ergo, I'm glad they did away with that in the sequel.

I'm honestly looking forward to No More Heroes 3, as I have a feeling it will be much more story-driven than the previous games. I especially like the new villain, Fu.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Honestly surprised Travis didn't make the cut.
Not me. Judging from the way Suda talked about Smash Bros. in interviews, it always felt like he was expecting Sakurai to come talk to him about bringing Travis into Smash Bros, rather than the other way around (as is standard).

Back on topic, I really hope that Glastonbury gets brought back, seeing as we're dealing with space aliens.

And to be honest, being the troll he is, Suda tends to aim to frustrate game players than entertain them. Flower, Sun and Rain is a good example of this. 😛With the NMH series it's a bit different, since he earnestly wants Travis to be his mascot for Grasshopper and make it big via Smash Bros. (That isn't to say he won't continue trolling players' expectations in some way in the process, mind.)

Though it would be nice to strike a nice balance between fast travel and exploration this time around. I barely even got to have a good look at the restructured Santa Destroy in NMH2.

Last edited:

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
Honestly surprised Travis didn't make the cut. I always felt that if we DID get an Indie fighter, Travis had the highest chances.

Whether or not Mii custumes deconfirm a character, in mine opinion, is a moot topic. That said, given how much detail they put into Travis's costume, I doubt he's among the remaining four.

I really enjoyed No More Heroes 1&2 on the Wii, and am really looking forward to the Switch ports. Looking back, what I hated about the first game was the Grand Theft Auto-esque world map. I would have liked it better if they took on a more arcade-like approach, where you're given a number of continues--and upon clearing the first stage you would immediately advance to the next, and so on. Instead of driving around some deadbeat town, doing boring, repetitive side-jobs. Ergo, I'm glad they did away with that in the sequel.

I'm honestly looking forward to No More Heroes 3, as I have a feeling it will be much more story-driven than the previous games. I especially like the new villain, Fu.
I'm really curious to see the character dynamic between FU and Travis. It occurred to me the other day after watching the new NMH3 trailer, that the final bosses of NMH1&2 were unknown, not a presence, basically was just a thing to get to (which I get is thematically the point on some level.), but FU seems to be getting into Travis' face, presumably taunting him or challenging him to fight when we're presumably not yet strong enough to do so, he'll be a presence not unlike some M rated Saturday Morning Cartoon villain, and that'll be new for a NMH game.

Granted I'm half expecting a secret final boss at the end, whether that be a twist end boss a la
Jeane
, a secret story capper NMH1
Henry-esque
boss, or both remains to be seen, but at the very least I wouldn't be surprised if we killed FU only to find we have to fight Damon or someone after him.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2..._chat_with_suda51_about_a_killer7_switch_port

Engine Software were responsible for porting Scott Pilgrim
That's funny, considering how that is the closest thing to an adaptation of NMH.

I'm really curious to see the character dynamic between FU and Travis. It occurred to me the other day after watching the new NMH3 trailer, that the final bosses of NMH1&2 were unknown, not a presence, basically was just a thing to get to (which I get is thematically the point on some level.), but Fu seems to be getting into Travis' face, presumably taunting him or challenging him to fight when we're presumably not yet strong enough to do so, he'll be a presence not unlike some M rated Saturday Morning Cartoon villain, and that'll be new for a NMH game.

Granted I'm half expecting a secret final boss at the end, whether that be a twist end boss a la
Jeane
, a secret story capper NMH1
Henry-esque
boss, or both remains to be seen, but at the very least I wouldn't be surprised if we killed FU only to find we have to fight Damon or someone after him.
You can say that he's certainly a contrasting sequel antagonist in this sense. The fact that he got an entire backstory (minus the time skip journey that eventually led to him becoming a galactic conqueror) before the game even released is pretty unusual as well.

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
It looks like Suda's older works are well on their way to getting one convenient platform for everyone to play on.

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2..._games_are_being_released_on_switch_next_year

The biggest one left is Killer 7, and that's if Capcom is willing to play nice.
Playing through NMH1 again, I kind of hope the NMH franchise one day gets ports to PC, if just so someone can make a mod for NMH1 that re-creates the ability to explode the NPCs of Santa Destroy into a bloody mist when you run them over with the Schpeltiger, as was said to have been in playtests of NMH1 but was later taken out as that would spike up the rating of the game too high.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Playing through NMH1 again, I kind of hope the NMH franchise one day gets ports to PC, if just so someone can make a mod for NMH1 that re-creates the ability to explode the NPCs of Santa Destroy into a bloody mist when you run them over with the Schpeltiger, as was said to have been in playtests of NMH1 but was later taken out as that would spike up the rating of the game too high.
Even the first game barely got to have content adequate enough to placate CERO, as the decapitations were crudely censored in the JP versions.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I've been replaying No More Heroes through the Switch version. It holds up pretty well, though I'm a little annoyed about tracking down the collectibles. I decided to get all of the Lovikov balls before taking on Doctor Peace, and even with using a map, I missed two of them. (it probably doesn't help that I was just looking at the map, as opposed to checking off the items as I got them, since it was on my phone)

I'm not sure which ones I missed (I'm fairly confident that they aren't in the top area or at the very bottom of the map, though considering that only covers 21/49 of them, that doesn't narrow it down much), and I'm not sure if I want to scour the map again to try and find the two that I'm missing.

(EDIT: I found out that talking to Lovikov, who shows up after you get rank 8, causes the locations of the Lovikov Balls to appear on your map. It's a little tough to distinguish them from the buried treasure, but I found the last two)

Dr. Peace and Death Metal were great, though, and I'm looking forward to re-experiencing Shinobu, Destroyman, and the rest.

Last edited:

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
I've been replaying No More Heroes through the Switch version. It holds up pretty well, though I'm a little annoyed about tracking down the collectibles. I decided to get all of the Lovikov balls before taking on Doctor Peace, and even with using a map, I missed two of them. (it probably doesn't help that I was just looking at the map, as opposed to checking off the items as I got them, since it was on my phone)

I'm not sure which ones I missed (I'm fairly confident that they aren't in the top area or at the very bottom of the map, though considering that only covers 21/49 of them, that doesn't narrow it down much), and I'm not sure if I want to scour the map again to try and find the two that I'm missing.

(EDIT: I found out that talking to Lovikov, who shows up after you get rank 8, causes the locations of the Lovikov Balls to appear on your map. It's a little tough to distinguish them from the buried treasure, but I found the last two)

Dr. Peace and Death Metal were great, though, and I'm looking forward to re-experiencing Shinobu, Destroyman, and the rest.
I think I'm missing one Lovikov ball. NG+ and I still can't find it. Why did they make the Lovikov dots orange on a primarily yellow/green map? Seems really obnoxious for finding those things.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I think I'm missing one Lovikov ball. NG+ and I still can't find it. Why did they make the Lovikov dots orange on a primarily yellow/green map? Seems really obnoxious for finding those things.
Here's a map that I used:

It might still be the equivalent of an Easter Egg hunt, but at least it gives you an idea of where they are.

Try checking the top part (the part in the north that's separated from the rest by bridges) - there are only 14 there, so it should make it quicker to either find it or to rule that whole section out.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Sooo... I'm actually happy that Travis is just a Mii Costume.

But I will say, I caved in and bought the first No More Heroes when it was marked down (by 2 dollars, so it really was barely a sale).

The game is growing on me rapidly.
It isn't much like what impression I got, though, as there are so far, not enough video game references.
It's as crass as I expected- with unnecessary flash, toilet humor, jerking off to recharge the sword.

But it is fun.
If a newcomer is watching this, this is what I would say:
"I don't like Johnny Knoxville, or douchey lead characters.
But this game is a bit like Kill Bill x Deadpool x Toxic Masculinity.
So if that interests you, then you will have some fun."

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
But this game is a bit like Kill Bill x Deadpool x Toxic Masculinity.
I still loathe the term "toxic masculinity", but I know what it means and I get it. On that note, the last note there hits it on head a bit. One of the appeals to the series that garnered it's small but dedicated fanbase is the multiple levels of meta narrative attempting to make NMH a satire of several things, including action games of the time and cool, badass hero guys (whether it succeeds in being a successful satire or just rehashes what it attempts to parody usually depends on who you're asking, as many people have different opinions on that.). Travis embodies a sleazy, pervy, creepy loser in a lot of respects. Surface level he's cool and slick, but really look at him and you realize we're supposed to notice he's a loser who objectifies women, wears crass shirts, is in some ways the worst aspects of video game and anime culture, and as for his profession, well it's psychotic for anyone to want to mass kill hundreds if not thousands of people, and yet he revels in it and sees the assassin fights as a means to an end to get to #1, not even considering the person until the rank 6 fight with
Holly Summers
. The dude lives in a freaking Motel too, so it's not like he's exactly stable or has his life together to add another thing to the sad profile of Travis. At once, Travis is a protagonist you can turn your brain off an enjoy some almost Musou levels hack and slash action game catharsis with, but then step back and realize that you shouldn't admire or idealize him though.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I still loathe the term "toxic masculinity", but I know what it means and I get it. On that note, the last note there hits it on head a bit. One of the appeals to the series that garnered it's small but dedicated fanbase is the multiple levels of meta narrative attempting to make NMH a satire of several things, including action games of the time and cool, badass hero guys (whether it succeeds in being a successful satire or just rehashes what it attempts to parody usually depends on who you're asking, as many people have different opinions on that.). Travis embodies a sleazy, pervy, creepy loser in a lot of respects. Surface level he's cool and slick, but really look at him and you realize we're supposed to notice he's a loser who objectifies women, wears crass shirts, is in some ways the worst aspects of video game and anime culture, and as for his profession, well it's psychotic for anyone to want to mass kill hundreds if not thousands of people, and yet he revels in it and sees the assassin fights as a means to an end to get to #1, not even considering the person until the rank 6 fight with
Holly Summers
. The dude lives in a freaking Motel too, so it's not like he's exactly stable or has his life together to add another thing to the sad profile of Travis. At once, Travis is a protagonist you can turn your brain off an enjoy some almost Musou levels hack and slash action game catharsis with, but then step back and realize that you shouldn't admire or idealize him though.
Have all of his games been motion control? It's a pain in the ass, never ending tutorial, but the controls become pretty simple even within the first level.

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
Have all of his games been motion control? It's a pain in the ass, never ending tutorial, but the controls become pretty simple even within the first level.
I think on Nintendo consoles, yeah. Probably not on the Xbox/PS remakes. That said, I find the motion control jank personally. I got these ports and they're my first time playing them on a normal (pro) controller and the difference imo is night and day. I feel like I have an idea what I'm doing in each level and fight.

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
I won’t post any pictures because hey spoilers, but it’s public knowledge I guess since it’s been shown off in a trailer and IGN livestream already.

Yes, he’s there.
Wait, he was shown in a trailer? Neat, that art of the two returning characters that came out seemed so different from what we're getting that I figured maybe those were made in early concepts for NMH3, and were maybe scrapped. Maybe this game will have some human fights after all.

Schonberg

Smash Journeyman
Wait, he was shown in a trailer? Neat, that art of the two returning characters that came out seemed so different from what we're getting that I figured maybe those were made in early concepts for NMH3, and were maybe scrapped. Maybe this game will have some human fights after all.
Might not have been a trailer, I just remember it being shown off by Suda so it may have just been that livestream. But they did say he was there!

Schonberg

Smash Journeyman

Not quite, it’s actually this one.

If you’re ok with visual spoilers, it’s around 2:14:00.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Not quite, it’s actually this one.

If you’re ok with visual spoilers, it’s around 2:14:00.
Yeah, I believe that those concepts were posted on this thread before. Odds are that the aliens modified him for this one, so it'll be fun to see him in context.

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
Fair warning this post is only tangentially related to NMH, but is anyone else enjoying Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity this week(end)? I've been having a grand old time with it, but one thing that stick out to me was how similar the combat feels to the no More Heroes franchise (imo). This Warriors spin off is more mechanically involved, and on harder difficulties you really have to think about your movement, attacks, and dodging, especially when you're fighting a boss player character. A few of the climactic fights early game kicked my tail in a few times, and I found myself strafing and ducking in and out to fight, just like I would in the assassin fights for No More Heroes. Let me just say that when Link and you have your first fight with , it felt just like a NMH boss between the small arena, the enemy attacks from a single powerful dynamic foe, and the flurry rush acting similar to dark step and the weak point attacks acting similar to the wrestling moves. It felt awesome and made me imagine Travis fighting Link and who would win at full power.

EDIT Another neat thing that comes to mind about the combat in AoC is how a good number of characters have different attacks when you're fighting them as opposed to playing as them, like big bombastic strong attacks that you couldn't give to the player because they'd be busted. Without any spoilers, that is to say that many of the playable characters in the game, when you fight them, they fight you more like a boss than a computer controlled player character, with new moves unavailable to you. That's different from the first Hyrule Warriors in a good way, and only cements that the fights feel personal, and tense if you're getting thrashed, and exciting when you know how to avoid their attacks with the in game mechanics and win.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Made it to Rank 6 in No More Heroes on the Switch. Playing through this game reminded me of how memorable all of the bosses are. Even if some stick out more than others, it's been years since I first played this game and I still remember all of their gimmicks and fights.

Here's hoping that No More Heroes 3 continues that trend! At the very least, their designs should stand out from the other bosses in the series.

Next up is rank 5, the most intense boss battle in the series! When I'm done this game, I'll download No More Heroes 2. (Though I might do a New Game Plus run to get all of the cards)

Last edited:

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Made it to Rank 6 in No More Heroes on the Switch. Playing through this game reminded me of how memorable all of the bosses are. Even if some stick out more than others, it's been years since I first played this game and I still remember all of their gimmicks and fights.

Here's hoping that No More Heroes 3 continues that trend! At the very least, their designs should stand out from the other bosses in the series.

Next up is rank 5, the most intense boss battle in the series! When I'm done this game, I'll download No More Heroes 2. (Though I might do a New Game Plus run to get all of the cards)
Why does Travis want to become #1?

Schonberg

Smash Journeyman
Why does Travis want to become #1?
Thematically, it’s to represent the idea that playing a game with an inherently violent premise stems from a relatively pointless desire to live out such violent fantasies with no real reward or consequences at the end for the player aside from “I did it/I’m number 1”, but since it’s Travis’ real life it’s far more gruesome and doesn’t end with him just getting off scot-free.

Storywise, it’s because Travis wants cash and to get laid.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
It's among the simplest of Suda's stories. I don't know how it could be that complicated to understand becoming the biggest killer in town for straightforward reasons.

It's like, The Straight Story to Suda's David Lynch.

I wonder what the bait and switch will be this time, if any. I have a hard time seeing them bring back Letz Shake a third time.

One thing for sure is though, if Fu is any indication, their mentalities will make the assassins from prior games look like well-adjusted people in comparison.

Schonberg

Smash Journeyman
I wonder what the bait and switch will be this time, if any. I have a hard time seeing them bring back Letz Shake a third time.
Well, in the same interviews that revealed Final Destroyman, theyve revealed that Kimmy Howell is back in some form, so maybe that’ll be it or some other boss that came back somehow?

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

One thing for sure is though, if Fu is any indication, their mentalities will make the assassins from prior games look like well-adjusted people in comparison.
Henry killed three assassins off-screen in the second game (though Travis only went up two ranks) - maybe one of them wasn't quite dead and comes back looking for revenge against "some jerk with a beam katana"?

SmashKeks

Smash Ace

I kind of hope the bosses have wild personalities to compensate for the designs a bit. Potentially unpopular NMH opinion(?): My current read on the aliens right now is that, save for FU, they look like these crazy random monsters that anyone could doodle, but it feels a little like a blessing and a curse in that since, because they're crazy alien designs, I can't get a good read on what they're about. With the human bosses of NMH 1&2, oftentimes their design gives us a look into their character via their weapons, facial expressions, clothes, stance and general demeanor, but with NMH3 while it's not impossible that these aliens can deliver that too, I worry they'll just kind of become generic if they don't do enough other than be the next large multicolored design I have to slash up. I few look more humanoid, I see and axe and a trident wielder, but others, like that crazy looking floating guy with almost no discernable recognizable features or appendages, will I even remember him/her/them even after playing the game? Maybe, but maybe not.

tl;dr, here's to hoping for that, since I have the small worry I'll be unimpressed.

Top Bottom