• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Climbing the Ranks - Travis Touchdown For Switch Smash!

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
So, recently I had heard news of some concept art that showed up on Twitter awhile back of some characters from No More Heroes 3... So, do we think that there was a scrapped plot for NMH3, or do we think we'll still see Destroyman 3.0 and an adult Kimmy Howell designed by Bayonetta's character designer amidst all this crazy alien business?

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
So, recently I had heard news of some concept art that showed up on Twitter awhile back of some characters from No More Heroes 3... So, do we think that there was a scrapped plot for NMH3, or do we think we'll still see Destroyman 3.0 and an adult Kimmy Howell designed by Bayonetta's character designer amidst all this crazy alien business?
I don't see why not - we got Destroyman in No More Heroes 2 despite him being slashed in half. I'm surprised that Suda didn't find a way to include him somewhere in Travis Strikes Again, even if it was just as part of the text adventures.

Looma

Smash Journeyman
Destroyman can't just NOT show up in the game where you fight goddamn superheroes. Aliens made like "Final Destroyman" out of his corpse(s) or something, surely.

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
Destroyman can't just NOT show up in the game where you fight goddamn superheroes. Aliens made like "Final Destroyman" out of his corpse(s) or something, surely.
If Suda is to be believed, Final Destroyman is something he's cooking up for NMH4... but it could easily be in this game too. Apparently there's some robotic destroymans being mass produced. If I had to bet money I'd say one of the aliens is going to make a Destroyman army, you have to slash through a lot of them. Destroyman MPD-T/Final Destroyman possible boss fight at the end.

Although, if Suda really is to be believed, and Final Destroyman will be shelfed for a theoretical NMH4... what the hell happens between 3 and 4 that turns Destroyman into a Cronenberg? What does Travis fight next? Demons? Is NMH4 a Doom homage?

Last edited:

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
Destroyman was always a character I thought looked cool design wise, and he was definitely a big goofball, but his fights were always so damn hard. So I kinda hope he does and he doesn't appear in the next game.

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
I hope Destroyman somehow gets upgraded to final boss.

On the topic of unfinished business, I wonder if we'll get to see the killer of Shinobu's father this time. Would be wild if the guy is actually from space all along.
I always thought Ryuji was the one that killed her dad. I could be wrong since I only played Desperate Struggle once and that was so many years ago.

Last edited:

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
Destroyman was always a character I thought looked cool design wise, and he was definitely a big goofball, but his fights were always so damn hard. So I kinda hope he does and he doesn't appear in the next game.
Unless something changes, we already know he will. As I said, concept art dropped of him on Twitter awhile back. According to said art, someone will be mass producing Destroymans, who now seem almost fully robotic. On top of that, there'll still be a "true" Destroyman amongst many Destroybots, dubbed Destroy MPD-T (Mass Produced: Trueface.). But that's not all, we have art of a seriously ugly Destroyman called Destroyman Final whom Suda has stated won't be in NMH3, but indeed a supposed NMH4 if we get there.

Destroyman MPD.jpg

Here's the model of Destroyman to be mass produced.

Destroyman MPD-T.jpg

Here's Destroyman Trueface. And indeed, he looks to have flesh, and... two faces. Maybe this is where his split personality will go. If I had to make a wild prediction, we'll get an entire level in NMH3 where all the enemies are Destroyman MPD, where at the end, we have to fight the real Destroyman once more.

Aaaaand finally:
Final Destroyman.jpg

Dear God. So, this is the design Suda claims will be saved for a potential NMH4. He... is something. Maybe he's going a Palpatine route where his hatred for Travis keeps him alive as he slowly becomes less and less human. He'll forever be the Ganondorf to Travis' Link.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I like the idea of Destroyman basically becoming Suda's very own take on Metal Cooler from DBZ.

That being said, while Kozaki's always remained the character designer, I didn't imagine that there would be more use of anime cutscenes this time (so far, anyway), so now his designs won't just be limited to 3D.

I always thought Ryuji was the one that killed her dad. I could be wrong since I only played Desperate Struggle once and that was so many years ago.
Nope, if it was the case it would have been said explicitly.

Last edited:

axel_

Smash Journeyman
Support. I don't think I need to explain why, it's Travis Mother****ing Touchdown.

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
Originally, I was indifferent to the idea of Travis being in Smash, but now that he's starting to make himself at home in Nintendo, I can actually see it happening. I'm looking forward to seeing how No More Heroes 3 plays. What I really didn't like about the first game was the Grand Theft Auto-esque world map. That said, I'm glad they did away with that in the second game.

[EDIT] I REALLY like the main villain, Fu's, brand of insanity. Makes me wonder what happened to make him change so much. Was he just born nasty, or was he made that way as he grew up? Overall, I have high hopes for No More Heroes 3, in terms of both gameplay and story.

Just like in his games, in Smash Travis's beam katana could run out of batteries after enough swings--after which the player must seize an opportunity to recharge. Even if his attacks don't hit, they'll still consume batteries, so the player must make every hit count.

Last edited:

Looma

Smash Journeyman
Battery's a must. I forsee Travis as a hyper-aggressive highly damaging combo character that can lay the pressure on thick and even take stocks early if played skillfully. A battery mechanic would do well to alleviate him being completely overwhelming all of the time.

That's basically the No More Heroes experience to a T, minus the spleens and mooks screaming obscenities at you.

AntagonisticGalaxyCetacea

Smash Journeyman
I always imagined that Smash attacks drain the battery similarly to the charged attack from 1 and 2. Even though everyone can charge fully and postpone their attack, what if Travis is the only character where the strength of it actually increases the longer you hold it? But in return it would drain your battery way quicker.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Our boy is starting to appear in more fake leaks lately. Unsurprising as the hype behind NMH3 is slowly intensifying. Makes me happy. I think between the first two games, TSA, and now NMH3, he'll have even more to pull from than he did during the base roster or Brawl days.

I gotta admit, I'm daring to dream. He really is my most-wanted third-party after spending a long time on the backburner.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Our boy is starting to appear in more fake leaks lately. Unsurprising as the hype behind NMH3 is slowly intensifying. Makes me happy. I think between the first two games, TSA, and now NMH3, he'll have even more to pull from than he did during the base roster or Brawl days.

I gotta admit, I'm daring to dream. He really is my most-wanted third-party after spending a long time on the backburner.
On the downside, this is going to attract the attention of bandwagoning haters who won't want him in, for some silly reason like "too hipster". Gotta be ready to defend the guy in such a circumstance.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
On the downside, this is going to attract the attention of bandwagoning haters who won't want him in, for some silly reason like "too hipster". Gotta be ready to defend the guy in such a circumstance.
Psh, real fans know he's had a small but vocal fanbase since Brawl. Just because he was never like Geno or Isaac or Banjo (no offense to them, just the first longtime fan wants I can think of) doesn't mean he doesn't have that organic support groundswell. I'll fight for my boy 'til the DLC cycle is over!

Looma

Smash Journeyman
Didn't Travis make some magazine's "Top X Characters we want in Super Smash Bros" list way back when? Dude was practically born a Smash request, even by his creator.

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
Originally, I was indifferent to the idea of Travis being in Smash, but now that he's starting to make himself at home in Nintendo, I can actually see it happening. I'm looking forward to seeing how No More Heroes 3 plays. What I really didn't like about the first game was the Grand Theft Auto-esque world map. That said, I'm glad they did away with that in the second game.

[EDIT] I REALLY like the main villain, Fu's, brand of insanity. Makes me wonder what happened to make him change so much. Was he just born nasty, or was he made that way as he grew up? Overall, I have high hopes for No More Heroes 3, in terms of both gameplay and story.

Just like in his games, in Smash Travis's beam katana could run out of batteries after enough swings--after which the player must seize an opportunity to recharge. Even if his attacks don't hit, they'll still consume batteries, so the player must make every hit count.
I actually have a theory about this: Fu told Damon that he'd be back in 20 years. When you think about it, that's an odd thing to say. How does he know that? Why 20 years? That's an oddly specific number. I have a feeling Fu knew something was up, about his species or his relation to earth. Maybe his species are conquerors by nature, or his return is expected as something to do with a goal in mind. Or he actually is insane or misguided. Point is, he knew he would come back and do something and he knows something we don't.

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
Wanted Travis in since the Wii and Wii U days so I'm glad he has another shot here. A swordfighter with wrestling moves mixed in would be fun.

Last edited:

Leotsune

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Leotsune
Hey guys, I recently played No More Heroes 1 & 2, I posted in the newcomer's thread how I think Travis Touchdown would be a sick addition ( Flyboy Flyboy suggested I should post here as well!)
I didn't know much about No More Heroes, just the fact that it was there, but I wanted to play something new these vacations, and after seeing NMH3 trailer at TGA I thought I'd be cool to give the give NMH a try.
The thing I liked the most about both games was their style and characters, I do feel NMH1 has more style and more memorable bosses, but NMH2 does a good job developing some of them a bit more (though Im still salty I only got to use Henry for a single fight).
The music has soooo much variety, I've been listening to it for the past week and most of the tracks are an absolute banger.
And of course Travis, he is such a loser, he has great quotes, he likes wresting, videogames and has a cat. I love him.
All in all, I am really pumped up about the possibility of seeing Travis join the fight, sadly he wouldn't say "F0ckhead!" because its Smash but
I think he has a lot of charisma and personality to be an amazing inclusion.

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
All in all, I am really pumped up about the possibility of seeing Travis join the fight, sadly he wouldn't say "F0ckhead!" because its Smash.
I do wonder what his in game dialogue in Smash will be. That line is iconic to Travis, but the alternative is probably to have Travis just use other "cool" zingers that don't curse... which aren't many. I wonder if Nintendo couldn't just get Robin Atkin Downes to record a few Smash lines to send them for the game. Things like "In Smash, I'll be number one!", or something similar, and probably shorter.

One thing is for certain though: If Travis tells people "You're a joke!" on his victory screen, he'll be such a salt inducing character for that alone. Some people would pocket Travis just to style on people. "What a pain!" Would also be great for a victory screen, emblematic of just how over everything Travis acts in the NMH series, as if they last 5 or so minutes of the Smash match were just a massive drag and an inconvenience to him.

Imagine if one of Travis victory animations is him on a toilet, his own name censoring his front.

Leotsune

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Leotsune
The toilet victory screen is actually a genius idea.
I do think Travis can work without swears, they could easily take some liberties and make a couple of new lines for him.
But if there is one thing I really want is for one of Travis' taunts to be just him saying"MOE~".

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
I actually have a theory about this: Fu told Damon that he'd be back in 20 years. When you think about it, that's an odd thing to say. How does he know that? Why 20 years? That's an oddly specific number. I have a feeling Fu knew something was up, about his species or his relation to earth. Maybe his species are conquerors by nature, or his return is expected as something to do with a goal in mind. Or he actually is insane or misguided. Point is, he knew he would come back and do something and he knows something we don't.
Totally forgot about that. Again, this just increases mine hopes for the storyline.

Looma

Smash Journeyman
I would drop everyone and and main Travis for "MOE~" and "YOU'RE A JOKE" alone (I'm already willing to flush all my mains down the toilet for him the moment he gets revealed but humor me). Travis has such a wild vocabulary and says all sorts of crazy things that omitting the swears wouldn't be much of a detriment to him. We would feel compelled to provide the proper quotes ourselves during heated matches with friends anyway~

I personally want an "IT'S KILLING TIME" taunt myself, both to reference the Harvey fight and for arguments with Shulk.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
You know, seeing as we're already having an alien invasion, NMH4 would have to take the Saints Row: Gat Out Of Hell route in order to top that in craziness.

He probably can look into his own future, something he doesn't let on. Only wrinkle in that theory being whether or not he was aware that Damon would become a CEO of a company later on.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
You know, seeing as we're already having an alien invasion, NMH4 would have to take the Saints Row: Gat Out Of Hell route in order to top that in craziness.

He probably can look into his own future, something he doesn't let on. Only wrinkle in that theory being whether or not he was aware that Damon would become a CEO of a company later on.
If NMH4 isn't a musical, then what even is the point?

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
If NMH4 isn't a musical, then what even is the point?
Is it wrong that I'd be unironically all about that? Travis would 100% be the one who refuses the sing through the whole game until the end where he gets the most epic number, and he's somehow surprised that Henry got on board before he did.

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
So, here's something I've been thinking about: If Travis was in currently hypothetical DLC pack 2, what would his reveal trailer look like? With Ultimate, it's nice to see DLC fighters get trailers that are a little more involved with their core series and doing something interesting as opposed to Smash 4, but I've been trying to figure out what facet of the NMH series they could use to represent Travis in a reveal trailer. Travis Strikes Again gives a trailer an easy in; we could get a trailer of Travis looking through the Death Drive games and seeing Smash. He turns Smash on and goes into the game, cue gameplay.

Alternately, something cheeky about ranks or numbers would be a cool nod to the NMH franchise. Imagine a trailer that starts with the Character before Travis and their fighter number, then slowly, but increasingly faster, the screen flips through all the fighters and their numbers in reverse order, until we pause on Mario at #1. Fade out, and into a scene of Mario finishing up a fight with another character (maybe Donkey Kong, #2), only for someone off screen to say "Are you number one? "Cause being number one is my thing, and you're in my way. I fought through everyone else and you're the last one left, so let's dance!", cue Travis jumping into shot for his splash screen, then finishing his jump to clash his sword with Mario.

After gameplay, maybe they could give a cheeky nod to the competitive scene in Smash. After Travis beats Mario, Joker comes up from behind him. "What, I got the wrong guy? YOU'RE number one? You've gotta be kidding me! Ah well, you'll go down the same as all the others!". Cue Travis and Joker clashing in the poses of Travis and Henry in their final fight and painting in NMH1.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
So, here's something I've been thinking about: If Travis was in currently hypothetical DLC pack 2, what would his reveal trailer look like? With Ultimate, it's nice to see DLC fighters get trailers that are a little more involved with their core series and doing something interesting as opposed to Smash 4, but I've been trying to figure out what facet of the NMH series they could use to represent Travis in a reveal trailer. Travis Strikes Again gives a trailer an easy in; we could get a trailer of Travis looking through the Death Drive games and seeing Smash. He turns Smash on and goes into the game, cue gameplay.

Alternately, something cheeky about ranks or numbers would be a cool nod to the NMH franchise. Imagine a trailer that starts with the Character before Travis and their fighter number, then slowly, but increasingly faster, the screen flips through all the fighters and their numbers in reverse order, until we pause on Mario at #1. Fade out, and into a scene of Mario finishing up a fight with another character (maybe Donkey Kong, #2), only for someone off screen to say "Are you number one? "Cause being number one is my thing, and you're in my way. I fought through everyone else and you're the last one left, so let's dance!", cue Travis jumping into shot for his splash screen, then finishing his jump to clash his sword with Mario.

After gameplay, maybe they could give a cheeky nod to the competitive scene in Smash. After Travis beats Mario, Joker comes up from behind him. "What, I got the wrong guy? YOU'RE number one? You've gotta be kidding me! Ah well, you'll go down the same as all the others!". Cue Travis and Joker clashing in the poses of Travis and Henry in their final fight and painting in NMH1.
I've wanted nothing more than an entire trailer where he talks smack the entire time. I'm imagining it like the NMH1 intro trailer with his voiceover and scenes of him fighting characters. "Maybe it'll be awesome. Maybe it'll totally suck!". Little nods and jabs at CERO and Smash's family-friendly image (that's obviously still in-rating) to show that Travis as a character is a punk with a bad sense of humor.

Extra credit if he slashes the screen in the Smash cut-out formation to start the trailer.

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
I've wanted nothing more than an entire trailer where he talks smack the entire time. I'm imagining it like the NMH1 intro trailer with his voiceover and scenes of him fighting characters. "Maybe it'll be awesome. Maybe it'll totally suck!". Little nods and jabs at CERO and Smash's family-friendly image (that's obviously still in-rating) to show that Travis as a character is a punk with a bad sense of humor.

Extra credit if he slashes the screen in the Smash cut-out formation to start the trailer.
That'd be awesome to see Travis talking smack during gameplay. If Travis got a stage with guest stars, imagine Shinobu making a background appearance and Travis saying something like "Unlike Terry, our females get to be represented, screw the ratings board.". Would probably need to be more toned down than that, but you get the idea. Maybe have Travis stand nest to Snake and Bayonetta while he says "Man, this game is getting spicier by the minute!" Also Travis slashing the screen into the Smash logo would be awesome.

Eldrake

Smash Lord
If Travis joins the battle, one of his series' music tracks should be this.

D

Deleted member

I am tempted to give Travis Strikes Again a chance.

People around Discord seem to like it, but people on Youtube comment sections seem to despise it.

Looma

Smash Journeyman
I am tempted to give Travis Strikes Again a chance.

People around Discord seem to like it, but people on Youtube comment sections seem to despise it.
Travis Strikes Again is definitely a game that's best appreciated after playing not just NMH1-2 but also other "Kill the Past" games, mainly The Silver Case and killer7 (Shadows of the Damned and Killer is Dead also help but aren't that important to the story. Not a Suda game but there's also a sweet treat for fans of Hotline Miami in there too.) I see how the game can be a bit... tiresome otherwise. I will stand by the text adventure being an absolute delight and the best part of the game when going in with knowledge of Suda's work.

I refer you to here for a comprehensive guide to Suda's works:

Looma

Smash Journeyman
I vote that we get some Flower, Sun, and Rain music too. What better gift to Suda than to include the song he helped write?

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Three fingers = three mainline NMH games, third Smash game is where Suda helped. Orange thumbnail = tiger motif. Hand pose = henshin pose. Surprise drop = lower-key series.

I-it's happening...??

Top Bottom