• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Climbing the Ranks - Travis Touchdown For Switch Smash!

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

KillerCage

Smash Master
Though I didn't beat No More Heroes, I am a supporter of our favorite assassin otaku Travis Touchdown!

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
That's not good - the last time (that I can think of) that a No More Heroes game took inspiration from comic book characters (Batman, the Joker, and maybe Bane), we got this:

The windows still traumatize me...
Jasper TwBatt is Travis' Legend spirit. Green :ultincineroar:, increased launch power on throws, and the stage has walk offs. :troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll:

Nah but if Travis makes in into Smash, his Legend spirit would have to be Henry Cooldown or bust.

Last edited:

ninjahmos

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
I think I probably might have said this before, but if Travis Touchdown is to join Smash as a playable character (hopefully DLC for Ultimate), we need music from the No More Heroes series. Both originals and new remixes. I’d love to hear a Smash remix of N.M.H. by Masafumi Takada, at least one remix by Jun Fukuda, and maybe at least one remix by Akira Yamaoka. Which songs from the NMH series would you guys like to hear in Smash, whether they’re originals or new remixes?

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I think I probably might have said this before, but if Travis Touchdown is to join Smash as a playable character (hopefully DLC for Ultimate), we need music from the No More Heroes series. Both originals and new remixes. I’d love to hear a Smash remix of N.M.H. by Masafumi Takada, at least one remix by Jun Fukuda, and maybe at least one remix by Akira Yamaoka. Which songs from the NMH series would you guys like to hear in Smash, whether they’re originals or new remixes?
Mach 13 Elephant Explosion and We Are Finally Cowboys seem like musts to me. I'd like to hear Season Of The Samurai or Twin Electromagnetic as well.

KillerCage

Smash Master
Here are my choices:

Stop Hanging DJs (Destroyman's theme): http://youtube.com/watch?v=-qudKDyIsrg

(This will have be censored if it gets in.)

(This one might have to be censored as well.)

Last edited by a moderator:

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
Good choices up there! I forgot what bangers this series has. I definitely concur on Philistine, as well as Pleather for Breakfast as personal hopes of mine. A remix of that Genki Rockets song Heavenly Star would be awesome as well.

ninjahmos

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
I agree with these choices. I’d also like these songs in Smash:
Nathan Is Our Boss:

Sling Shot:

Tooth Paste:

No More No More Heroes (NMH1):

No More No (NMH2):

And many others. The list goes on.

Also, I think they should use this as Travis Touchdown’s Victory Theme:

Last edited:

Looma

Smash Journeyman
I want Money Shot so bad. The best song for styling on an opponent proper.

Last edited:

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
If Travis made it into Smash, what do we think his spirit board would look like? Here's my ideas:

Possible one stars
(*) Sylvia Christel (Zero Suit Samus, enemy starts with a gust bellows)
(*) Bishop Buvariashvili (???)
(*)Death Metal (Ganondorf)
(*) Skelter Helter (Joker, enemy starts with a beam sword)

Two stars
(**) Destroyman
(**) Kimmy Howell
(**)Holly Summer
(**) Chloe Walsh

it's tough to pick some two star choices for Travis spirits, but my rationale here was trying to find some of the more interesting fights Travis had that were more interesting story beat wise, but aren't major characters or heavy hitters quite yet, since a large number of those could be

Three Stars
(***) Shinobu (Lucina)
(***) Bad Girl (Princess Peach, enemy starts with a home run bat)
(***) Jeane
(***) Alice Twilight
(***) Jasper Batt?

Oh yeah, the plot relevant characters and among the most memorable battles. These should hurt to remember, and should hurt to fight against. I personally wouldn't want to see Jasper Batt, but depending on how Sakurai determines spirits he might feel like he has to be there.

And of course, I don't have to say it, but

Legend spirit
(****) Henry Cooldown

Travis' final showdown and lost brother. Find the spirit they call Paradise.

And just for funsies here's some spirits I would want to see if Sakurai added more NMH spirits after Travis' release

Margaret Moonlight
Speed Buster (King DeDeDe, enemy starts with all Daybreak parts combined)
Matt Helms
Charlie Macdonald
Dr. Letz Shake
New Destroyman
Captain Vladimir
Travis Touchdown (Rose Nasty)

You'll notice I didn't put descriptions on all of these. It's late where I am, and I'm tired, but I might edit this with descriptions for the rest of the spirits tomorrow as I think of them, and I might even put in pictures for the characters I think are likely as spirits and who I listen with stars above.

Last edited:

VongolaFair

Smash Apprentice
I know very little about Travis Touchdown (besides from what I played of the demo of NMH Heroes Paradise on PS3), I found Travis cool and likeable and from that moment onwards I’ve been waiting for NMH 1 and 2 to be ported (been waiting years for this), that I even bought Travis Strikes Again (haven’t played it yet since I’m waiting for 1 and 2 first) and that Travis is the only character that I have no history with but would love to see get added to Smash! Sign me up!

Looma

Smash Journeyman
How tilted would everyone be if Jasper Batt Jr. was the Legendary spirit on Travis' spirit board?

Looma

Smash Journeyman
I just know that Jasper needs to be represented by Iggy. He even comes with a float! :ultiggy:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
That trailer was so sick!! The extended version is out too! Coming 2020 but my god the style!

Last edited:

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
So, I'm watching the trailer now since I was petting our new cat and missed it live.... I legit thought the aliens rocket was going to launch a good ways into the air, then explode in the kids face, mirroring the toy rocket that kicked off the trailer. The kid looking up at the sky in horror, trauma, and disblief as his friend blows up into pieces.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
It seems like they're gonna be deconstructing the idea of superheroes in this game. The extended trailer was hilarious. God I missed this series, so great to finally have a new mainline entry.

Also consider this: Nintendo used one of the biggest nights in gaming to advertise No More Heroes 3. They even have Travis Strikes Again on discount. They still respect the series after all these years.

I don't want to get my hopes up but man, what if Travis really does get into Smash post-pass?

AntagonisticGalaxyCetacea

Smash Journeyman
It seems like they're gonna be deconstructing the idea of superheroes in this game. The extended trailer was hilarious. God I missed this series, so great to finally have a new mainline entry.

Also consider this: Nintendo used one of the biggest nights in gaming to advertise No More Heroes 3. They even have Travis Strikes Again on discount. They still respect the series after all these years.

I don't want to get my hopes up but man, what if Travis really does get into Smash post-pass?
I genuinely do think it will happen. Sakurai's gonna finally fulfill his friend's wish.

SmashKeks

Smash Ace

Well, Suda deconfirmed Travis for DLC pack one. Technically, we don't know if Smash pack 2 exists, Sakurai could only have 1 or 2 extra surprises, but given the trend of fighting games having multiple packs, it's certainly possibly pack 1 ends with a swing into pack 2. If that's the case, I'd say Travis has a shot.

SO, those aliens, crazy designs. I like the boss tease of a dual wield katana boss with cross guards. If the swords have cross guards, are they katanas? Eh, either way hyped for Kylo Ren x2. He doesn't seem to look like any of the other aliens either, making me wonder what his deal is? Is that Henry, someone new, the practice fight of this game?

Speaking of the aliens, Anyone notice there's only 9 of them? Their designs are crazy and it's hard to speculate what their gimmicks could be, but the guy surrounded by a jelly fish looking jet shield, the one in a large chair holding an octopus, and the HUGE dude in a black cloak intrigue me. Still, Fu and his friends, only 9 aliens. So who's our secret #10 going to be? Do we think there'll be surprise upsets, twists and turns? Some alien dies to a boss we haven't seen yet and we fight them instead? NEW DESTROYMAN NEO? /s

Looking at the desings closer, I can see that we can get an idea what their gimmicks might be. I'll probably break that down in a different post if someone doesn't do it for me.

Final note: Who here actually believes Fu is our final boss? In NMH1 we got a fake out AND a satisfying secret boss, in NMH2 we knew who we were up against, but not what. Anyone want to bet we fight Fu, but have a surprise upset that leads to another fight afterward, or something like that? Any hope for a secret fight in this game?

Any chance we fight Damon? Is he the dual crossguard sword wielder?

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
So, I'm going to throw out a bold prediction based on footage in that trailer: I think that the dual crossguards sword wielding potential boss seen at the end is Henry. He wears a trench coat and he doesn't look like any of the aliens, and Henry's cross sword is the only katana in the series with a cross guard. In No More Heroes 2, Travis of course upgraded to being able to dual wield swords when he acquired Rose Nasty, so by this logic Henry could be taking after his brother by getting a dual set of swords of his own with dual crossguards.

The only thing that's odd to me is trying to figure out when this fight happens. A Henry rematch would be hype as all get out, and if it's another secret ultimate test of skill boss like in NMH1, I don't know why they'd spoil that in the trailer. If I could throw out a guess that I have no way to back up or prove, I wonder if Henry might act as our practice fight in this game. Aliens are invading Destroy, Travis returns, and Henry wants to test if Travis still has what it takes to go through the ranks again, with tougher foes than ever before. On that note though I would hope we'd get a chance to see more Henry and those twin green swords. Maybe he could be the games practice fight, but he also gets to be a secret fight or bonus end fight two where he's much harder and has a lot of new tricks.

*EDIT* The only thing throwing me off is the spiky green hair, with makes me think it might nor be Henry, but I'm trying to figure out if the guy at the end of the trailer actually has green hair, or if it's just the styliszed lighting making it look green. It's defintely spiky, but Henry could have changed up his look. Travis has a bit, after all.

Last edited:

Looma

Smash Journeyman
I've been replaying NMH1 and I decided to whip up some spirit fights of my own.

★ NOVICE
Sylvia Christel

Character: :ultzss:
Stage: Onett
♪N.M.H.

★ NOVICE
Bishop Shidux

Character: :ultvillager:
Condition
•The enemy tends to avoid conflict
♪Oxygen Graffiti

★ NOVICE
Skelter Helter

Character: :ultcloud:
Stage: Fourside (Ω Form)
Condition
•The enemy starts the battle with a Ray Gun
♪Sling Shot

★ NOVICE
Speed Buster

Character: :ultwario:
Stage: Reset Bomb Fortress (Ω Form)
Condition
•The enemy starts the battle with Daybreak
•The enemy is easily distracted by items
•Only Daybreak parts will spawn
♪Mach 13 Elephant Explosion

★ NOVICE
Nathan Copeland

Character: :ultganondorf:
Stage: Tomodachi Life
Condition
•The enemy starts the battle with a Killer Eye
•The enemy has increased movement speed
•Only Killer Eyes will spawn
♪Nathan is Our Boss

★★ ADVANCED
Dr. Peace

Character: :ultdoc:
Stage: Pokémon Stadium 2
Condition
•The enemy starts the battle with a Steel Diver
•The enemy's shooting items have increased power
♪Steel Python

★★ ADVANCED
Destroyman

Character: :ultfalcon: + :ultpikachu:
Stage: Wii Fit Studio
Condition
•The enemy starts the battle with a Screw Attack
•Pikachu is invisible
♪Stop Hanging DJs/Kill U 2Wise Over

★★ ADVANCED
Dr. Letz Shake

Character: :ultrob:
Stage: Arena Ferox
Condition
•The enemy is giant
•The enemy is metal
•Periodic earthquakes will shake the stage after a little while
♪Happy War More

★★ ADVANCED
Bad Girl

Character: :ultpeach: + :ultfalcon:x4
Stage: Pokémon Stadium
Condition
•The enemy starts the battle with a Home Run Bat
•The enemy's melee weapons have increased power
♪Pleather For Breakfast

★★★ ACE
Shinobu

Character: :ultsheik:
Stage: Jungle Japes (Battlefield form)
Condition
•The enemy starts the battle with a Killing Edge
♪Season of the Samurai

★★★ ACE
Holly Summers

Character: :ultwiifittrainer:
Stage: Wuhu Island (beach segment)
Condition
•The enemy starts the battle with a Pitfall
•Pitfalls will appear in bulk periodically
•Hostile assist trophies will appear (Jeff)
♪Samurai Summer

★★★ ACE
Alice Twilight

Character: :ultgreninja:
Stage: Suzaku Castle
Condition
•The enemy starts the battle with a Beam Sword
•Beam Swords will appear in bulk periodically
♪Subuta. 1

★★★ ACE
Badman

Character: :ultsnake:
Stage: Mario Bros.
Condition
♪Electric Thunder Tiger II

★★★ ACE
Jasper Batt Jr.

Character: :ultiggy:+ :ultincineroar:+ giant :ultjigglypuff:
Stage: Tomodachi Life (Ω Form)
Condition
•Reinforcements will appear after an enemy is KO'd
•The enemy can unleash powerful critical hits at random
♪Titanium Batt

★★★★ LEGEND
Henry Cooldown

Character: :ultshulk:
Stage: Onett (Ω Form)
Condition
•The enemy has increased melee-weapon damage and move speed
♪We Are Finally Cowboys

★★★★ LEGEND
Harman Smith

Character: :ultfalco: (Dan Smith) + :ultbayonetta: (KAEDE Smith) + :ultlittlemac:(Coyote Smith) + :ultgnw: (Kevin Smith) + :ultinklingboy: (Con Smith) + :ultincineroar: (MASK de Smith) + :ultwolf: (Garcian Smith)
Stage: Gamer
Condition
•Bob-ombs will rain from the sky after a little while
•Only explosives (Bob-ombs, Bombchus, Bombers, etc) will spawn
♪Rave On

Last edited:

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
I've been replaying NMH1 and I decided to whip up some spirit fights of my own.

★ NOVICE
Sylvia Christel

Character: :ultzss:
♪N.M.H.

★ NOVICE
Bishop Shidux

Character: :ultvillager:
Condition
•The enemy tends to avoid conflict
♪Oxygen Graffiti

★ NOVICE
Skelter Helter

Character: :ultcloud:
Stage: Fourside (Ω Form)
Condition
•The enemy starts the battle with a Ray Gun
♪Sling Shot

★ NOVICE
Speed Buster

Character: :ultwario:
Stage: Reset Bomb Fortress (Ω Form)
Condition
•The enemy starts the battle with Daybreak
•Only Daybreak parts will spawn
♪Mach 13 Elephant Explosion

★ NOVICE
Nathan Copeland

Character: :ultganondorf:
Stage: Tomodachi Life
Condition
•The enemy starts the battle with a Killer Eye
•The enemy has increased movement speed
•Only Killer Eyes will spawn
♪Nathan is Our Boss

★★ ADVANCED
Dr. Peace

Character: :ultdoc:
Stage: Pokémon Stadium 2
Condition
•The enemy starts the battle with a Steel Diver
•The enemy's shooting items have increased power
♪Steel Python

★★ ADVANCED
Destroyman

Character: :ultfalcon: + :ultpikachu:
Stage: Wii Fit Studio
Condition
•The enemy starts the battle with a Screw Attack
•Pikachu is invisible
♪Stop Hanging DJs/Kill U 2Wise Over

★★ ADVANCED
Dr. Letz Shake

Character: :ultrob:
Stage: Arena Ferox
Condition
•The enemy is giant
•The enemy is metal
•Periodic earthquakes will shake the stage after a little while
♪Happy War More

★★ ADVANCED
Bad Girl

Character: :ultpeach: + :ultfalcon:x4
Stage: Pokémon Stadium
Condition
♪Pleather For Breakfast

★★★ ACE
Shinobu

Character: :ultsheik:
Stage: Jungle Japes (Battlefield form)
Condition
•The enemy starts the battle with a Killing Edge
♪Season of the Samurai

★★★ ACE
Holly Summers

Character: :ultwiifittrainer:
Stage: Wuhu Island (beach segment)
Condition
•The enemy starts the battle with a Pitfall
•Pitfalls will appear in bulk periodically
•Hostile assist trophies will appear (Jeff)
♪Samurai Summer

★★★ ACE
Alice Twilight

Character: :ultgreninja:
Stage: Suzaku Castle
Condition
•Beam Swords will appear in bulk periodically
♪Subuta. 1

★★★ ACE
Badman

Character: :ultsnake:
Stage: Mario Bros.
Condition
♪Electric Thunder Tiger II

★★★ ACE
Jasper Batt Jr.

Character: :ultiggy:+ :ultincineroar:+ giant :ultjigglypuff:
Stage: Tomodachi Life (Ω Form)
Condition
•The enemy can unleash powerful critical hits at random
♪Titanium Batt

★★★★ LEGEND
Henry Cooldown

Character: :ultshulk:
Stage: Onett (Ω Form)
Condition
•The enemy has increased melee-weapon damage and move speed
♪We Are Finally Cowboys

★★★★ LEGEND
Harman Smith

Character: :ultfalco: (Dan Smith) + :ultbayonetta: (KAEDE Smith) + :ultlittlemac:(Coyote Smith) + :ultgnw: (Kevin Smith) + :ultinklingboy: (Con Smith) + :ultincineroar: (MASK de Smith) + :ultwolf: (Garcian Smith)
Stage: Gamer
Condition
•Bob-ombs will rain from the sky after a little while
•Only explosives (Bob-ombs, Bombchus, Bombers, etc) will spawn
♪Rave On
I like this list! A few too many spirits for the character boards usually, but more could always be added post Travis' hypothetical launch. I'm glad I could contribute with my Jasper Bat idea. Only thing I might change is change Henry from Shulk to Marth. Marth just looks more composed and elegant, and shares a similar bowl cut to Henry. Probably using his black alt since he doesn't seem to have a grey alt, or his white alt to reference Henry's suspenders art, but he fights Travis in his grey trench coat so I'd go for ther black skin. As for the fight itself, here's an interesting idea: Henry's fight was at the end of NMH1, and only after Travis had the best Beam Katana and all of the upgrades. So, for a Henry spirit, I think both the player and opponent should have increased speed and attack power, to fight on (sort of) equal ground and mirror the high octane insanity of the final fight. To give the spirit a slight edge maybe they gain fast Final Smash charge to reference Henry's instant death move.

Also I like the implication of Capt. Falcon being Bad Girl's gimps.

KillerCage

Smash Master
BREAKING NEWS!
Sabi's Discord got nuked!
We don't know what caused it as of now.
She had to make a new one as a result.

Saer2k

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Justin2k
3DS FC
1135-3138-2130
Switch FC
SW-1055-8581-7038
Travis is definitely one of my top 5 characters at the moment for Smash, so put me on the list why don't you. Hella excited for NMH3 as well!

ninjahmos

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
They should also add music from other Suda51/Grasshopper Manufacture games, like The Silver Case and Killer7. Both originals and new remixes. I’d love to hear Smash remixes of the Main Theme of The Silver Case and Dissociative Identity from Killer7.

Last edited:

Looma

Smash Journeyman
I would very much enjoy Travis getting the Terry treatment and being an all-encompassing love letter to Suda's work with a huge laser focus on No More Heroes. Suda has an abrasive, subversive style that I'd like to see paid proper tribute in Smash because there really isn't anything else like it, It'd be a shame for Smash to miss out on showcasing it what with how it's a celebration of video games. The Silver Case and especially killer7 should be in there as music tracks and potentially spirits.

Last edited:

Saer2k

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Justin2k
3DS FC
1135-3138-2130
Switch FC
SW-1055-8581-7038
With Suda pleading Sakurai to add Travis. I wouldn't be surprise to see 50 tracks, or even more since he's as eager as us fans haha.

Looma

Smash Journeyman
Sakurai: "We've selected about 50 or so tracks for your approval"

Suda: "Only 50? bruh"

Top Bottom