• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Climbing the Ranks - Travis Touchdown For Switch Smash!

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I still haven't beaten the game since I'm the slowest gamer alive but I'm psyched to play all the DLC. Cool that it's getting ported, hope it's a better port than Hero's Paradise.

Man, I know he's been deconfirmed, but it's really funny. In the Mortal Kombat speculation community, people saying a character isn't in is seen as a necessity because of the NDA whereas in Smash it's seen as breaking the NDA because why would they say anything at all if they were in?

You have stuff like Shang Tsung's actor deconfirming himself and then being revealed as DLC. It's all a mess.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I still haven't beaten the game since I'm the slowest gamer alive but I'm psyched to play all the DLC. Cool that it's getting ported, hope it's a better port than Hero's Paradise.

Man, I know he's been deconfirmed, but it's really funny. In the Mortal Kombat speculation community, people saying a character isn't in is seen as a necessity because of the NDA whereas in Smash it's seen as breaking the NDA because why would they say anything at all if they were in?

You have stuff like Shang Tsung's actor deconfirming himself and then being revealed as DLC. It's all a mess.
Not sure if it's comparable, it's like night and day. You even have Boon openly laughing off fake leaks.

Granted, there might be cultural differences going into this, too.

Also, technically, Heroes' Paradise actually becomes playable when you don't use the popsicle controller, but yeah. At least Grasshopper has had enough experience with the PS4, between Let It Die, The Silver Case and The 25th Ward.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Suda51 tweeted this.

Clearly it's hinting at something No More Heroes related (it could very well be a No More Heroes 3 announcement, given how incredibly unsubtle Travis Strikes Again was about how that's going to happen), so that's worth keeping an eye out for.

UserKev

Smash Champion
Its something at least since it keeps Travis relevant. He's been de-confirmed but it could also be a sick joke.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Waiting for the Microsoft conference to start be like.

He's been de-confirmed but it could also be a sick joke.
I rather doubt that it's a joke. Suda trolls players when they play his games, but isn't one to mess with hopes and dreams for stuff outside of them. Although it would be nice if Moonlight Syndrome got any sort of chance for entering the Western hemisphere...

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
No More Heroes 3! I hope! I'm super pumped whatever it may be.

Or maybe it really is Travis...?
EDIT: I'm so sorry for the double post but NO MORE HEROES 3 IM DEAD IM DEAD

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
We go from fighting assassins to jumping inside of video games to fighting aliens with what may or may not be a Galactus knock-off involved.

...Seems like a pretty natural progression for this series, actually.

Last edited:

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
So, given how the NMH franchise notoriously has an admittedly very open ended moral about the hollowness of blazing through a righteous quest to reach the end and receiving no payoff, I do wonder what will happen in the story of this game. Will Travis not find some planet destroyer, or maybe he does but it becomes a morally difficult choice whether you should actually kill him, or maybe you kill him but the game makes in clear that saving the world doesn't excuse the fact that Travis ran away from committing to Sylvia and left a daughter fatherless in his wake while he possibly forked off to the No More Heroes motel again. I'm interested to see if NMHIII continues the themes of hollow victory.

Wiziliz

Smash Journeyman
Travis' chances for Smash 6 are looking pretty good! Here's to hoping No More Heroes gets the Bayonetta treatment, and has the first two games ported over. I'm really enjoying the first game, but the second is too expensive for me to get, though I'd be more willing to buy it for the Switch, and a collection would be nice. Hell, maybe they could do a No More Heroes Trilogy Collection next year. That'd be worth its price.

We go from fighting assassins to jumping inside of video games to fighting aliens with what may or may not be a Galactus knock-off involved.

...Seems like a pretty natural progression for this series, actually.
It was super weird, but interesting to see.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
One thing for sure is, one universal theme that comes up in many Suda works will show up sooner or later once again; killing the past in order to move on.

The-Silver-Case-Past.png

The only question is, in what form will this subject come up. Though I imagine that the identity of the person who killed Shinobu's father might finally be revealed, so that she can move on.

Last edited:

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
Even though we got awesome trailers for two new smash characters, my favorite part of the direct was definitely the Breath of the Wild sequel and the announcement of No More Heroes 3! I'm super stoked to see more of the game in action.

I'm also hoping for a fighter's pass season 2, cause I can see Travis being added to that. It would just line up too perfectly with the release of NMH3.

Also, his mech suit was stupid cool. I can't wait to see what they decide to do with that (if it's one and done like his giant Gundam in Desperate Struggle, that would suuuuucccckkkk...)

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Man I love watching Direct reaction videos and the sheer un-hype or "oh it's that guy" reactions to Panzer Dragoon and No More Heroes 3 made me sad.

People just don't understand the decade wait, man. TSA was fine but seeing those arrows pop up again was magic.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Even though we got awesome trailers for two new smash characters, my favorite part of the direct was definitely the Breath of the Wild sequel and the announcement of No More Heroes 3! I'm super stoked to see more of the game in action.

I'm also hoping for a fighter's pass season 2, cause I can see Travis being added to that. It would just line up too perfectly with the release of NMH3.

Also, his mech suit was stupid cool. I can't wait to see what they decide to do with that (if it's one and done like his giant Gundam in Desperate Struggle, that would suuuuucccckkkk...)
I occasionally wonder what happened to Glastonbury after the second UAA got abolished, since there'd be no reason to keep it confiscated. Worse comes to worst, some hoodlums probably stole and cannibalized it to make new kitbash tech.

That being said, there is an inkling of hope; some while ago, there was that datamine of World of Light's files showing 16 character slots that came up (that are different from the separate 29 ID slots that were brought up earlier), that's enough for two more passes at the least, should the staff plan to do anything with them (in theory, 4 of those slots got filled so far, so that would leave 12 more).

Last edited:

ninjahmos

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
I’m in! We need a stage for Travis, with music from the No More Heroes series, both originals and new remixes. Especially a Smash remix of N.M.H. by Masafumi Takada!

Last edited:

Looma

Smash Journeyman
I REALLY hope Suda pushed Travis hardcore this time, even if jokingly.

If Toby could get his...

Staarih

Smash Master
I was losing hope for Travis but with more DLC on the way, I could definitely see him making it now. Nintendo has clearly taken No More Heroes under its wing and would likely want to further push the series forward. The size or sales of a franchise doesn’t seem to be a factor these days so I’m all in for Travis right now.

BlackInk

Smash Lord
Imagine if Travis Touchdown is the last dlc character of the the first character pass. That’ll be awkward.

Last edited:

Looma

Smash Journeyman
Hoo boy, consider my investment in Travis completely reinvigorated. The more all stars I see join this game, the more I wanna see Travis cut em all down, and his second chance has arrived. Here's to hoping for some rolling heads!

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
Lads

No joke

I'm thinking he's in wave 2.
I do too, considering...

- Travis Strikes Again has come and gone. I'm not sure how well it sold, but considering Nintendo allowed some of their properties in the game, they are pretty friendly and helpful with the IP
- No More Heroes 3 will most likely come out during the second wave
- Sakurai has visited SUDA51 within the last few months

The last point I think is the most important. I feel Sakurai really wants to bring in as many game worlds as he can, so I can see him visiting a couple of game studios to ask for their permission to include guest characters. SUDA would of totally picked Travis if that was the case.

All these points combined, I have incredibly high hopes he's gonna make it into the roster in the next wave of DLC.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Meanwhile, Suda's protege Masafumi Takada has done yet another remix, for a title theme no less. :ultbanjokazooie:

Practically teasing at this point.

Okay, knowing this, if Travis still isn't in, Sakurai's just being really mean to his friend Suda at this point. :4pacman:
He's just being playful, which is fair since Suda typically trolls his own fans. :4pacman:

In all seriousness though, I get the impression that Suda himself doesn't think that Travis is worthy enough to get in Smash yet, so we'll have to wait and see.

BlackInk

Smash Lord
I do too, considering...

- Travis Strikes Again has come and gone. I'm not sure how well it sold, but considering Nintendo allowed some of their properties in the game, they are pretty friendly and helpful with the IP
- No More Heroes 3 will most likely come out during the second wave
- Sakurai has visited SUDA51 within the last few months

The last point I think is the most important. I feel Sakurai really wants to bring in as many game worlds as he can, so I can see him visiting a couple of game studios to ask for their permission to include guest characters. SUDA would of totally picked Travis if that was the case.

All these points combined, I have incredibly high hopes he's gonna make it into the roster in the next wave of DLC.
Okay, so Sakurai was working on Travis Touchdown for awhile and Suda was lying about Travis’s state in smash to keep speculation on him from being present.

Remember, they only worked on Joker after Smash Ultimate’s release. They probably didn’t have any truly set dlc fighters and Sakurai was looking for one last fighter for the pass. It probably was hard for him to decide on the last fighter, but he decided to choose a more modern representative.

Last edited:

Looma

Smash Journeyman
The idea of the killer7 guy doing Banjo-Kazooie music is so surreal to me. These two things have always been so distant from each other in my mind that having them now occupy the same space is disorienting me.

can Travis please come with Rave On and a Harman Smith spirit

StormC

Smash Hero
I have not played No More Heroes, but I would love to if the original games get ported to Switch.

Travis strikes me as one of the most likely characters, whether it's to close out the Fighters Pass or for season 2. Travis to me has always kinda felt like an honorary Nintendo character alongside Banjo and Bayonetta, so I'd welcome him. Hope you guys get your day.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I have not played No More Heroes, but I would love to if the original games get ported to Switch.

Travis strikes me as one of the most likely characters, whether it's to close out the Fighters Pass or for season 2. Travis to me has always kinda felt like an honorary Nintendo character alongside Banjo and Bayonetta, so I'd welcome him. Hope you guys get your day.
Thank you! He's been one of my most-wanted since Brawl, though as he was disconfirmed my priorities shifted elsewhere. Now that he's back on the table with added abilities from Travis Strikes Again I think this could really be his time! Smash needs some more attitude...

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
Oh I totally forgot about the chip abilities in TSA. Although I hope his bike ends up being one of his specials (someone besides Wario needs one, and he could taunt while he's on the bike, that's totally a Travis thing to do!), all 4 of his specials could end up being based on 4 of his abilities (or more, we could see chips being incorporated into his smash attacks for all we know). Who knows, maybe NMH3 will include something that just screams special move?

As an aside, imagine if one of his taunts included Jeanne, his cat, just like Hero has Slime and Joker has Morgana.

But I pose a question. You have 4 chips to choose from to make Travis' four specials, which four do you choose?

smileMasky

Smash Ace
NNID
TPPyro
3DS FC
1349-6667-1990
To be honest I never played any NMH games but Travis is my 2nd pick for a newcomer. Hope Mr. Suda ports or hd remakes 1 and 2

AntagonisticGalaxyCetacea

Smash Journeyman
So now that he's on the table again, here's my entire thoughts on it all: It's all or nothing, for Travis.

Why does Travis deserve a chance to be in Smash Ultimate?

Since people love to use the arguments of relevance with Nintendo, No More Heroes is a series that started it's life with Nintendo, having all of their games appear first and foremost on Nintendo's consoles. Yes, No More Heroes 1, and Travis Strikes Again are being ported to other consoles, however it's been stated that personally Suda prefers the games to be played on Nintendo's consoles due to the motion controls. That's the way it's meant to be played.

Suda is personally friends with Sakurai, and jokingly has bugged him with including Travis into Super Smash Bros since Brawl in 2008. When Brawl was being hit with delays and the like, Suda provided some of his staff to help with production of the game which lended him a special thanks in Brawl's credits. Asking for their character to be in is not a surefire way to get included into Smash, but Snake was added due to similar reasons. Who's to say Sakurai couldnt do the same for a friend?

Travis could provide a unique moveset and playstyle in Smash, especially compared to other swordfighters. He has a lot to draw from his games, different beam katanas that provide different fighting styles, skill chips that allow him to do things like star wars force choke opponents, shoot down a huge laser, or even stun enemies for a short period of time. In hindsight, he might play a bit similarly to Hero, who's normal attacks are sword strikes but the special moves are completely unique. Travis also uses wrestling moves, and while this might only translate into his throws; Incineroar is the only other character to have these.

They can use Smash to promote No More Heroes 3. You can say that the promoting aspect is a silly thing to bring up, but this is apparent for a lot of characters. Just look at how much Odyssey and Breath of the Wild things are in Ultimate. Before, he could've promoted Travis Strikes Again, but No More Heroes 3 is a mainline title which was even officially revealed via a Nintendo Direct. No More Heroes 3 is also Switch exclusive (for now), and theres the possibilities of No More Heroes 1 and 2 being ported to Switch.

The violence is a non issue in denying Travis a chance to be in, since there are already characters from mature games. Even though the counterargument is "Travis wouldnt be the same without the gore" or "No More Heroes is popular because of it's gore", those are inherently wrong statements. Yes, NMH is a gorey game with a crazy amount of swearing and lewd aspects. But people were attracted to the franchise due to Travis as a character. He's an otaku that plays videogames and also loves wrestling. Travis is a dork, Travis isn't cool, he only thinks he's cool. That's why he's the No More Hero. TSA was a game that lacked gore and it was completely fine. Travis can shout out whatever dorky attack lines or videogame references he wants without swearing. The violence and swearing are an non issue.

Suda wants this so bad. I think a lot of fans want it very bad. I personally have been waiting since 2008, back when I had a Travis skin on Ike in Brawl. Since he most likely has a second chance of being added, all I can do, is believe.

Miifighters4Smash5

Smash Journeyman
Yeah. . . I Mean If there's a Season 2 Wave of DLC. . . Maybe Travis Touchdown has a Chance. . . Alongside Geno, Bandana Waddle Dee(If a Piranha plant can be a fighter, so Can Kirby's 4th Wheel Companion(Kirby, Dedede, Meta Knight, are in, now just add The Spear-wielding Bandana Waddle Dee), So Can Linkle from Hyrule Warriors, and Cranky Kong

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Last edited:
Top Bottom