• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Climbing the Ranks - Travis Touchdown For Switch Smash!

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I played through the first level of Travis Strikes Again this morning. It seems fun, and the chip abilities keep it from just being a mindless button-masher.

My main issue is that opportunities to heal are few and far between - from what I can find (unless there's a skill for it later), the only ways to heal are through save points and ramen stands, and those are pretty sparse. In one frustrating instance, I died moments before a save point. The game respawns you where you left off, but lives are limited, and extra lives seem rare.

One interesting detail that I noticed on the stats page is that the first level has two secret/hidden characters. I wasn't able to find any despite taking every detour that I could find, so they seem to be well-hidden. Hopefully, it should give me a reason to replay levels.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I'm pretty excited to bust this out for some co-op play this weekend. I love how divisive the reviews are - sure sounds like a No More Heroes game!

Rayleigh

Smash Journeyman
Man, this game is, without a doubt, a No More Heroes title.

Now, it sure ain't No More Heroes 3, but it didn't need to be...It's also not the price of a big game (being only $29.99 on the Nintendo E-Shop) which helps for certain. All the charm in a tight package...

My one problem is that the jacket is purple and this upsets me for no reason. Almost upsets me the way I look at Flyboy Flyboy 's avatar from the side and think it's Johnny Bravo.

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
Man, this game is, without a doubt, a No More Heroes title.

Now, it sure ain't No More Heroes 3, but it didn't need to be...It's also not the price of a big game (being only $29.99 on the Nintendo E-Shop) which helps for certain. All the charm in a tight package...

My one problem is that the jacket is purple and this upsets me for no reason. Almost upsets me the way I look at Flyboy Flyboy 's avatar from the side and think it's Johnny Bravo.
Yeah, I kind of wish you could change the jackets color at least, if not have different styles to buy. I usually chose a black jacket to wear in NMH when I unlocked such a jacket.

Also, no Lisa the Painful RPG T-Shirt makes me sad that another great indie game is being slept on, even when Suda did so well covering a wide variety of games.

Rayleigh

Smash Journeyman
I'm a basic boi and just go for Red...or Brown. I like brown. It's basic.

But yes, I uh...don't want to say anything else for the sake others who haven't played the game yet...but I hope we get Travis after this affair.

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
I'm a basic boi and just go for Red...or Brown. I like brown. It's basic.

But yes, I uh...don't want to say anything else for the sake others who haven't played the game yet...but I hope we get Travis after this affair.
I've played a little bit, beat the first area anyway, but if you're worried, you could always slap what you want to say into a spoiler tag. But yes, after this, Travis definitely has more Smash moveset potential with the chips along, something Suda has gone on record to say he wants returning in NMH3. I already squeal with excitement imagining Travis using things like a force palm grapple, or stunning projectiles.

Rayleigh

Smash Journeyman
I, too, want the chips to return. They help to represent his gamer weirdness...I only hope they do not conflict with his secretly bushido nature when translated to a true sequel...

...but, with the way this game and it's bosses are written? That shouldn't be a problen.

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
I, too, want the chips to return. They help to represent his gamer weirdness...I only hope they do not conflict with his secretly bushido nature when translated to a true sequel...

...but, with the way this game and it's bosses are written? That shouldn't be a problen.
Considering it appears Travis still has his odd but Japanese-esque code of honor, even when fighting virtual characters, I don't think that should be a problem. I'm fascinated in unlocking more chips and seeing all the skills, to determine which ones I best hope make the jump to NHM3 (and Smash?).

In a way, I think the chips were almost the missing aspect of Travis' kit to translate to a fighting game (We know we want Smash, but this applies to almost any series if ever he was adapted elsewhere.). We all like NMH for it's classic Suda51 style of art that's solely his own, both visually and with its' weird, hard to describe aesthetic that permeates the characters, writing, fights, etc. Still, strip those away and try to break down what makes Travis himself as action fighter, and I always had this sad though that if Travis graced Smash pre TSA, most detractors would be valid in declaring him another generic anime swordy, not much caring that he's a goofy otaku Assassin that has a Johnny Bravo esque cool swagger that also makes him a lovable dorkus and loser that endears us to him. When trying to envision a moveset for Travis, I always struggled with imagining unique specials that screamed "THIS is who Travis Touchdown, legendary Assassin, is!". Often imaging things like a Fire Emblem eque charged sword slash for a neutral, of a Wario-esque bike attack with the Schlepetiger for side, and often struggling to justify a down and up special soon after.

Now, however, I could almost certainly map some chips as the specials and maybe a unique command grab wrestling move as a side special (Suda seems to really dig his German Suplexes. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ) , Smashes could be heavy beam katana attacks (though I always likes the idea of Travis turning into a tiger and charging forward for a side Smash. Maybe do that, then have the up and down smashes be heavy high position slash and heavy low position respectively.), tilts as light katana attacks, aerials could probably have that special blend of Smash Bros, ad libbing, though I like the idea of Travis cycling his katanas for his aerials (blood berry neutral, Tsubaki MK-II down spike, Tsu MK-III forward air, and Rose Nasty two handed back air slash for those curious. Maybe OG Tsubaki, or maybe Peony could be up air? Iunno.) grabs and throws of course being wrestling slams, maybe even having flashier throws than Incineroar himself if they were so inclined.

All said, the chips alone feel like enough justification to point to something that makes Travis unlike the other 70+ characters we have now, and that's not to even mention his new charge attacks, jumping and dodge rolls. Of course it's bitter sweet that Travis didn't make Smash Ultimate (for now... people still whisper hopes of a Smash DLC season 2.), but on the other hand I'm also kind glad Travis didn't make it before TSA came out, thereby locking him into a pre-TSA, NMH1-2 moveset that probably would have been his permanent kit for the rest of time (I mean, look at how Ganondorf still doesn't really play like Ganondorf, despite multiple fan cries and mods that have made him a much more faithful magic Warlock. I know the Smash dev team probably doesn't want to just up-end a character, and doing so would invariably irritate Dorf mains who have come to know his Captain Slowcan playstyle, but I digress.), but at least now if Travis has to be locked into a moveset for all of time, at least he'll have some desperately needed style to take with him (I mean, WE all know why he's stylish, but imo again lets be real, Travis really needed something to stretch toward a full moveset, for both Smash and to outsiders looking in.)

Rayleigh

Smash Journeyman
Ignoring his personality (which is important, naturally), I would say that there are five aspects to Travis as a fighter that one needs to incorporate:

- Travis fights with a rechargeable beam katana.
- Travis is a thin-but-nimble lad.
- Travis likes Wrestling Moves.
- Travis tends to end up in odd combat scenarios (Motorcycle jousts, baseball mini-games, TURNING INTO A MOTHERLOVIN' TIGER AND MAILING PEOPLE THIS IS NEVER EXPLAINED BUT IT'S SO ****ING HYPE.)
- Travis now has the chip abilities.

------------------

With this in mind, here is what I envision Travis to be.
Height: 1.7 Smash Cubes. Height is Measured in ‘Smash Cubes’, taken from the in-game training map. Please consult my Scale Chart for more information.
Weight: Medium-Lightweight

Special Mechanic: Katana Recharge

Travis is quick and hits hard, making him a Lightning Berserker...but when his katana runs out of charge through hitting enemies or blocking, his sword damage becomes negligible and applies little to no stun or knockback. To rectify this, the player must shield and rapidly tap B in order to recharge his katana. This can only be done on the ground. Even a single shake will restore some of the Katana’s charge (displayed under the player’s damage meter), but to enjoy the full experience the player will want to recharge as hard and as often as possible.

...and no, it won’t use his signature charge animation...because this is Smash and there’s a difference between Bayonetta’s allure and outright masturbation imagery. It’ll still be shaken, but done in a more world-friendly manner.

The ideal core of Travis’ gameplay is to do as much damage with your beam katana before finishing your opponent off with a Smash or Throw...but to do this damage, you must ensure your beam katana is charged. If it is not, Travis has the lowest damage output in the entire game. If it is, he has some of the best damage potential...but launch power only comes from a few moves.

Other Mechanics: Travis can wall jump and slide.

Neutral B: Death Tiger Lightning (AKA Wing Chip). Allows Travis to shoot a bolt of lightning at an opponent from the Death Glove. If it connects, it’ll stun the target. If another target is nearby, it’ll jump to them for half the damage. This move drains a fair amount of Travis’ Charge meter and cannot be used without a charge meter. Otherwise he’ll point at an opponent, look at the glove and exclaim in frustration.
Up B: ...I’m half tempted to put Marth’s Dolphin Slash here, but call it the ‘Totally Original Rising Slash: Whale Breach‘...help me, please.
Side B: Projectile Destroy. Not a clever name, huh? Well, that’s alright. See, this ability allows him to destroy projectiles; not reflect, destroy. It eats up a fair amount of Charge regardless of the type of projectile it destroys, making it an attack that should not be used recklessly. This is a feat that Travis is shown as being capable of doing. What’s more, Travis can perform this ability while moving, allowing him to close in on projectile users. The damage it deals to enemies on contact is minimal but can stagger them enough to be used in a combo.
Down B: Surprise Slide/Dark Step/Evade. Oh no, a Down-B counter!? HE’S AN ANIME SWORD BOI CONFIRMED HOW COULD YOU DO THIS RAYLEIGH!? UNSUBSCRIBED. Not quite, as this move is principally defensive...Think Witch Time but not so easily useable. Travis is an evasive man, stylishly avoiding attacks is a big part of his first two games’ mechanics.

This move, when timed just right against a melee attack, slows down the target and allows Travis to get around them for a follow-up punishment. Rapid Jab? Smash? Grab? Sure, whatever suits you in that moment. This move does not use Travis’ charge meter...but is next to useless if his katana is not charged.

Final Smash: Glastonbury: Strawberry Shortcake Mega Blaster MAX!!

Travis gives the screen a thumbs up (while saying something clever), climbs onto his Motorcycle, the Schpeiltiger, and dashes across the screen. If he connects with an opponent they will be buried (If on the ground) or spiked downwards. The Glastonbury then appears in the background. The Glastonbury activates its special move: ‘Strawberry Shortcake’; a powerful horizontal swing from its Beam Katana. To finish the move off, it converts its beam katana into a laser cannon, firing a powerful, one-shot pink blast capable of finishing off an opponent at over 100% damage. Travis then jumps out of the Glastonbury and back onto the screen as the mech flies away.

Author’s Note: For the sake of convenience and consistency, Travis will only be using the Tsubaki MK lll as it is the most iconic to the audience and holds the most value to Travis as a character. (being made from the sword of his mentor, Thunder Ryu).

Jab: Rapid Slashes. Ends with a single strong hit.
F-Tilt: Spinning horizontal swing. Can be angled.
D-Tilt: A sweeping kick. Can trip low-damage opponents and spike aerial enemies.
U-Tilt: Axe kick, first going up then going down. Weak but quick hit going up, but spikes on the initial downward swing. If the first hit connects, it will not be an axe kick. At this point, it’s a groin kick, and sets you up for a combo. Travis is 100% the type of guy to end up kicking someone in the crotch, intentional or not.
Dash: Technique of Love. In-game, this is a jumping slash.
N-Air: A rapid spinning slash. If weapon usage is really important, than this can be the Rose Nasty.
F-Air: A good ol’ kick. Running at an opponent and jump kicking them is satisfying...and I didn’t want him to use a dive kick as his dash.
B-Air: Backhand slap with the Death Glove. Maximum disrespect.
D-Air: Technique of Crazy Awesomeness. In-game, this is a plunging sword technique that is executed after a jump. Spikes on initiation.
Up-Air: Three swings upward.

Forward/Side Smash: Pouncing Tiger. Travis transforms into a tiger after the initial charge up has him clutch the sides of his head. The Tiger travels a fair distance and attacks at the beginning of the attack for greatest effect, and has a minor windbox when it lands.
Up Smash: Rising Tiger. Similar charge animation as forward smash, but he arches his back so as to look skyward. Travis transforms into a Tiger and lunges straight upwards.This move launches him higher into the air depending on how long you charge it, but only does peak damage during the initial take-off and at the attack’s vertical climax.
Down Smash: Raging Tiger. Similar charge animation as forward smash, but Travis is crouching. Travis transforms into a Tiger, who violently spins to knock opponents away, finishing the move off with a roar. The roar does no damage, but has an AoE Windbox effect.

Without enough Katana charge, Travis cannot transform...he just gets a headache. Poor guy, someone get him some Tylenol.

Battle Start: Terminator pose from Travis Strikes Back. But with clothes.
Up Taunt: Travis pulls out his phone, tells the opponents that he’s ordered them a butt-whooping, then puts it away.
Down Taunt: Travis makes some sort of mocking gesture, with fitting dialogue.
Side Taunt: Travis pulls a cheeseburger out of his pocket, takes a bite, and puts it away. Witty comment optional.
Victory Taunt 1: Travis stands around looking at a poster that he finds “interesting” then looks to the screen in shock when he’s announced the winner. He quickly hides it behind him. Game hackers would find that it’s a picture of Sylvia...but only in a semi-modest business suit. Because Nintendo.
Victory Taunt 2: Travis pulls up a chair, sits back, and relaxes. It’s not a toilet, but it’ll do. Cat Jeanne sits on his lap and he pets her.
Victory Taunt 3: Travis pulls up on his motorcycle, lounges back, and pulls out a Nintendo Switch game console. Says something about how the fight wasn’t exciting enough, then starts playing the Switch.

Grab: Travis grabs them in a full nelson. Travis’ grabs are slightly harder to escape from
Pummel: I dunno...Body squeezes? It’s a Full Nelson, yo.
F-Throw: Death Glove Volleyball Spike. Tosses the opponent upwards then slaps them forward and downward with the Death Glove. This is a somewhat reliable kill move…Especially if they fall down toward a blast zone.
U-Throw: Tiger Driver ‘98.
D-Throw: Powerbomb.
B-Throw: Dragon Suplex. This is a reliable kill move.

Dark Side Mode/Slot Machine Mechanic: I decided not to use the Dark Side Mode abilities as they could not be implemented well as specials (without removing other abilities) or as a Final Smash...as a variable Final Smash it is both excessive and not ridiculous enough when compared to the Glastonbury. Using the tiger for Smash attacks was sufficient for that zany part of NMH’s combat.

Multiple Weapons/Chips: Using too many of these things would muddy up the character. One should focus on a singular good mechanic that relies on as little extra fluff or gimmicks as possible. If a character can be made without it, then they likely do not need it in order to be properly represented.

Moves based on Bosses: I tempted this, with something like the Destroy Beam, but I didn’t want Travis to use anyone else’s moves unless he earned them in the game...However, I gave him the Wing Chip as it is based on an attack used by his childhood gaming hero: Thunder Tiger.

Ramen Taunt: His food taunt was initially going to be Ramen, but it would take too long for him to eat and wouldn’t really be a readily interrupted taunt on the part of the player. The burger is faster to pull out and eat, and we know Travis likes burgers...we also know that his voice actor has played a certain character who also likes burgers...so the jokes start coming and they don’t stop coming.

UP-B: Please help, I've been stuck on this for hours.

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
Ignoring his personality (which is important, naturally), I would say that there are five aspects to Travis as a fighter that one needs to incorporate:

- Travis fights with a rechargeable beam katana.
- Travis is a thin-but-nimble lad.
- Travis likes Wrestling Moves.
- Travis tends to end up in odd combat scenarios (Motorcycle jousts, baseball mini-games, TURNING INTO A MOTHERLOVIN' TIGER AND MAILING PEOPLE THIS IS NEVER EXPLAINED BUT IT'S SO ****ING HYPE.)
- Travis now has the chip abilities.

------------------

With this in mind, here is what I envision Travis to be.
Height: 1.7 Smash Cubes. Height is Measured in ‘Smash Cubes’, taken from the in-game training map. Please consult my Scale Chart for more information.
Weight: Medium-Lightweight

Special Mechanic: Katana Recharge

Travis is quick and hits hard, making him a Lightning Berserker...but when his katana runs out of charge through hitting enemies or blocking, his sword damage becomes negligible and applies little to no stun or knockback. To rectify this, the player must shield and rapidly tap B in order to recharge his katana. This can only be done on the ground. Even a single shake will restore some of the Katana’s charge (displayed under the player’s damage meter), but to enjoy the full experience the player will want to recharge as hard and as often as possible.

...and no, it won’t use his signature charge animation...because this is Smash and there’s a difference between Bayonetta’s allure and outright masturbation imagery. It’ll still be shaken, but done in a more world-friendly manner.

The ideal core of Travis’ gameplay is to do as much damage with your beam katana before finishing your opponent off with a Smash or Throw...but to do this damage, you must ensure your beam katana is charged. If it is not, Travis has the lowest damage output in the entire game. If it is, he has some of the best damage potential...but launch power only comes from a few moves.

Other Mechanics: Travis can wall jump and slide.

Neutral B: Death Tiger Lightning (AKA Wing Chip). Allows Travis to shoot a bolt of lightning at an opponent from the Death Glove. If it connects, it’ll stun the target. If another target is nearby, it’ll jump to them for half the damage. This move drains a fair amount of Travis’ Charge meter and cannot be used without a charge meter. Otherwise he’ll point at an opponent, look at the glove and exclaim in frustration.
Up B: ...I’m half tempted to put Marth’s Dolphin Slash here, but call it the ‘Totally Original Rising Slash: Whale Breach‘...help me, please.
Side B: Projectile Destroy. Not a clever name, huh? Well, that’s alright. See, this ability allows him to destroy projectiles; not reflect, destroy. It eats up a fair amount of Charge regardless of the type of projectile it destroys, making it an attack that should not be used recklessly. This is a feat that Travis is shown as being capable of doing. What’s more, Travis can perform this ability while moving, allowing him to close in on projectile users. The damage it deals to enemies on contact is minimal but can stagger them enough to be used in a combo.
Down B: Surprise Slide/Dark Step/Evade. Oh no, a Down-B counter!? HE’S AN ANIME SWORD BOI CONFIRMED HOW COULD YOU DO THIS RAYLEIGH!? UNSUBSCRIBED. Not quite, as this move is principally defensive...Think Witch Time but not so easily useable. Travis is an evasive man, stylishly avoiding attacks is a big part of his first two games’ mechanics.

This move, when timed just right against a melee attack, slows down the target and allows Travis to get around them for a follow-up punishment. Rapid Jab? Smash? Grab? Sure, whatever suits you in that moment. This move does not use Travis’ charge meter...but is next to useless if his katana is not charged.

Final Smash: Glastonbury: Strawberry Shortcake Mega Blaster MAX!!

Travis gives the screen a thumbs up (while saying something clever), climbs onto his Motorcycle, the Schpeiltiger, and dashes across the screen. If he connects with an opponent they will be buried (If on the ground) or spiked downwards. The Glastonbury then appears in the background. The Glastonbury activates its special move: ‘Strawberry Shortcake’; a powerful horizontal swing from its Beam Katana. To finish the move off, it converts its beam katana into a laser cannon, firing a powerful, one-shot pink blast capable of finishing off an opponent at over 100% damage. Travis then jumps out of the Glastonbury and back onto the screen as the mech flies away.

Author’s Note: For the sake of convenience and consistency, Travis will only be using the Tsubaki MK lll as it is the most iconic to the audience and holds the most value to Travis as a character. (being made from the sword of his mentor, Thunder Ryu).

Jab: Rapid Slashes. Ends with a single strong hit.
F-Tilt: Spinning horizontal swing. Can be angled.
D-Tilt: A sweeping kick. Can trip low-damage opponents and spike aerial enemies.
U-Tilt: Axe kick, first going up then going down. Weak but quick hit going up, but spikes on the initial downward swing. If the first hit connects, it will not be an axe kick. At this point, it’s a groin kick, and sets you up for a combo. Travis is 100% the type of guy to end up kicking someone in the crotch, intentional or not.
Dash: Technique of Love. In-game, this is a jumping slash.
N-Air: A rapid spinning slash. If weapon usage is really important, than this can be the Rose Nasty.
F-Air: A good ol’ kick. Running at an opponent and jump kicking them is satisfying...and I didn’t want him to use a dive kick as his dash.
B-Air: Backhand slap with the Death Glove. Maximum disrespect.
D-Air: Technique of Crazy Awesomeness. In-game, this is a plunging sword technique that is executed after a jump. Spikes on initiation.
Up-Air: Three swings upward.

Forward/Side Smash: Pouncing Tiger. Travis transforms into a tiger after the initial charge up has him clutch the sides of his head. The Tiger travels a fair distance and attacks at the beginning of the attack for greatest effect, and has a minor windbox when it lands.
Up Smash: Rising Tiger. Similar charge animation as forward smash, but he arches his back so as to look skyward. Travis transforms into a Tiger and lunges straight upwards.This move launches him higher into the air depending on how long you charge it, but only does peak damage during the initial take-off and at the attack’s vertical climax.
Down Smash: Raging Tiger. Similar charge animation as forward smash, but Travis is crouching. Travis transforms into a Tiger, who violently spins to knock opponents away, finishing the move off with a roar. The roar does no damage, but has an AoE Windbox effect.

Without enough Katana charge, Travis cannot transform...he just gets a headache. Poor guy, someone get him some Tylenol.

Battle Start: Terminator pose from Travis Strikes Back. But with clothes.
Up Taunt: Travis pulls out his phone, tells the opponents that he’s ordered them a butt-whooping, then puts it away.
Down Taunt: Travis makes some sort of mocking gesture, with fitting dialogue.
Side Taunt: Travis pulls a cheeseburger out of his pocket, takes a bite, and puts it away. Witty comment optional.
Victory Taunt 1: Travis stands around looking at a poster that he finds “interesting” then looks to the screen in shock when he’s announced the winner. He quickly hides it behind him. Game hackers would find that it’s a picture of Sylvia...but only in a semi-modest business suit. Because Nintendo.
Victory Taunt 2: Travis pulls up a chair, sits back, and relaxes. It’s not a toilet, but it’ll do. Cat Jeanne sits on his lap and he pets her.
Victory Taunt 3: Travis pulls up on his motorcycle, lounges back, and pulls out a Nintendo Switch game console. Says something about how the fight wasn’t exciting enough, then starts playing the Switch.

Grab: Travis grabs them in a full nelson. Travis’ grabs are slightly harder to escape from
Pummel: I dunno...Body squeezes? It’s a Full Nelson, yo.
F-Throw: Death Glove Volleyball Spike. Tosses the opponent upwards then slaps them forward and downward with the Death Glove. This is a somewhat reliable kill move…Especially if they fall down toward a blast zone.
U-Throw: Tiger Driver ‘98.
D-Throw: Powerbomb.
B-Throw: Dragon Suplex. This is a reliable kill move.

Dark Side Mode/Slot Machine Mechanic: I decided not to use the Dark Side Mode abilities as they could not be implemented well as specials (without removing other abilities) or as a Final Smash...as a variable Final Smash it is both excessive and not ridiculous enough when compared to the Glastonbury. Using the tiger for Smash attacks was sufficient for that zany part of NMH’s combat.

Multiple Weapons/Chips: Using too many of these things would muddy up the character. One should focus on a singular good mechanic that relies on as little extra fluff or gimmicks as possible. If a character can be made without it, then they likely do not need it in order to be properly represented.

Moves based on Bosses: I tempted this, with something like the Destroy Beam, but I didn’t want Travis to use anyone else’s moves unless he earned them in the game...However, I gave him the Wing Chip as it is based on an attack used by his childhood gaming hero: Thunder Tiger.

Ramen Taunt: His food taunt was initially going to be Ramen, but it would take too long for him to eat and wouldn’t really be a readily interrupted taunt on the part of the player. The burger is faster to pull out and eat, and we know Travis likes burgers...we also know that his voice actor has played a certain character who also likes burgers...so the jokes start coming and they don’t stop coming.

UP-B: Please help, I've been stuck on this for hours.
Not a bad moveset idea, pretty close to what I would do. Not one to one, and I have a few minor qualms, but said qualms are more minor nitpicks that in the end probably boil down to individual wants/interpetations of the character, e.g., I personally would put that here or want to see this over that.

As for an up b, I was thinking Travis should use the Slippyslappytiger somewhere in his moveset, maybe that could be his up b. One of the cool parts of NHM1 was the admittedly barebones open world where you could dink around with the Salmonellatiger's turbo boost and jump, and there was even a mini game where you jump Travis' bike off the ramp of Santa Destroy into the nuclear bay. Travis' recovery could see him pull out his bike similar to Wario, but instead of riding it forwards, it turbo rockets in a diagonal angle forward to where Travis is facing, as he rides a jumping slappysquirreltiger into a blaze of glory until he either snaps the ledge or accepts his fate and takes his death in the coolest show of sobering dignity ever. Like K. Rool's recovery, it's hard to interrupt and has a hitbox in the front, but it only has one angle and you can't move it around while it's active, luckily it a more favorable angle than just straight up, but perhaps Travis couldn't recover from the blast zone, making him susceptible to gentlemans and good edgeguarders.

Rayleigh

Smash Journeyman
I was thinking of something along the lines of the GlocknSchpeiltiger as an Up B...but then if it lands on the ground it blows up and Travis goes tumbling around. Maybe make it spike on its initial drop...I dunno.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I don't know about you guys but I'm loving Travis Strikes Again. Been playing it co-op with a friend and it's very funny and just simple hack-and-slash gameplay. Very stylish and enjoyable.

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
I don't know about you guys but I'm loving Travis Strikes Again. Been playing it co-op with a friend and it's very funny and just simple hack-and-slash gameplay. Very stylish and enjoyable.
I'm a little worried about continuing it. I've had a lot of fun with it, and it definitely has that Suda charm, but some of the biggest complaints I've seen it that's it's really samey, and it drags of way too long. I had a lot of fun with area one, but Life is Destroy went on for far too long and made me very frustrated. If they just changed up the secenery in that world a little bit it probably would have been okay, but alas. I hear Coffee and DOughnuts is a fun world, so here's hoping it picks up again.

Also, if anyone can make heads or tails of the magazines cheat codes, let me know, I haven't been able to activate the pickled Buguro or the recovering health, and I spammed those codes all over Life is Destroy. Also, the last cheat always seems like nonsense but I started paying attention to them once the Coffee and Doughnuts page said standing it a certain area gives you a message from Sylvia. Now I assume the third cheat also does something, but it's even more ambiguous and hard to decipher than the other two that just say "go here, enter the code, get health/exp.". The Electro Thunder Dragon magazine page shows an area that I know where to go to find it, but the code says to go there, enter some oils into the death drive pot, and you and Travis will trip. Obviously I can't literally do that, so I can only assume there's a hidden meaning there. I wonder if the "oils" are actually chips I need to bring to that area.

Last edited:

Marvel-Otaku-Man

Smash Apprentice
My local GameStop was literally sold out of Travis Strikes Again when I went to pick up a copy a few days ago. I hope that's a sign that the game is selling well. At the very least, the Suda fans around town are coming out to show support.

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
I was very upset I got the game late (just like my Rid's amiibo, it got delayed in shipping and I didn't get the game til two days ago).

I've only had a chance to play through the first level and obtain the orb for the second game. It's super refreshing to play as Travis again, and I do like the addition of the chips as special moves within the game. What makes me the most happy, though, is despite the change in gameplay it's still very much a No More Heroes title (look, feel, dialogue especially, and as always it's so satisfying to drop a "save").

I am sad you can't fully customize Travis' wardrobe, and the lack of voice acting is a bummer, plus getting the second orb was a bit disappointing considering you just had to scroll through a LOT of text boxes and you just kind of...get it, no mini game, no boss, you just have it (I think I'd be less disappointed if they either added something for you to do, like a choose your own adventure or fight through a short level OR just made those sections have voice acting, cause seriously, I could listen to Robin Atkin Downes voice Travis for hours).

But all I really want is more time with the game, cause I'm having fun so far. Love there is co-op as well, and I can't wait to try out the new DLC characters when they release later this year.

And I hope the game sells well, cause I want a proper entry in the series. I need me some No More Heroes 3.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I just beat the game. It was fun, and thankfully, the different types of games kept it from being repetitive. The drag racing was a huge pain, though.

Can anyone who's more knowledgeable than me about Suda 51's games clarify who made cameos? I think he made a game called the 25th Ward, and a character from that made a cameo in one of the text adventure portions.
Mondo Zappa from Killer is Dead made a similar cameo, and Garcia Hotspur was a particularly obvious one. I think that Juliet Starling from Lollipop Chainsaw made a cameo in one of the text adventures; her full name wasn't given, so I'm not 100% sure.
Beyond that, I have no idea.

Also, can someone clarify why Capcom was listed in the credits? Bandai-Namco got a mention because one character wears a Mappy shirt, but I didn't recall any Capcom references. (unless beating the game on a higher difficulty unlocks a Killer 7 shirt or something)

Last edited:

AntagonisticGalaxyCetacea

Smash Journeyman
Also, can someone clarify why Capcom was listed in the credits? Bandai-Namco got a mention because one character wears a Mappy shirt, but I didn't recall any Capcom references. (unless beating the game on a higher difficulty unlocks a Killer 7 shirt or something)
There's a hidden video file in the game revealing that Bad Man is actually a Killer7 character, and Dan Smith appears; voiced and everything

Rayleigh

Smash Journeyman
AKA all the games have a shared universe and I now REALLY want No More Heroes to feature all the protagonists together on some sort of Avengers type team

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
AKA all the games have a shared universe and I now REALLY want No More Heroes to feature all the protagonists together on some sort of Avengers type team
Not gonna lie given my limited knowledge of all Suda51 characters (only played NMH, but I'm familiar with his other works.), all the protags seem like they'd be perfect for a suicide squad/Deadpool's X Team style anti hero group.

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
Notable competitive Smash player and #1 best player of Smash 4 ZeRo supports Travis for Smash!

This could be a big boon for us. Given how this Smash game is likely supposed to be the Smash game that represents the Switch's life cycle, which more than likely has at the very least four more years left on it, the prospect of a Smash DLC season 2 is very possible. Given how buddy Nintendo has been with the competitive side of Smash lately, they no doubt have people to watch the videos of competitive players (They have to, or else how will they know who do drop if anyone bad mouths their company?), so there's a good chance they'll know ZeRo gave vocal support to Travis, and ZeRo name dropping Travis means his fanbase will be exposed to our awesome beam katana wielding assassin. Here's hoping an eventual season 2 can offer us renewed hope that our favorite otaku can finally make it to Smash.

*EDIT* Aw nards, I accidentally did a double post. My bad. I hope the mods won't be mad, this is notable news and this isn't the most active thread. :/

Last edited:

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
It's because we are all playing Travis Strikes Again.

Man I'm slugging through it slowly though. I just got to Golden Dragon. Kinda got mad there wasn't really co-op in that one, so I ended up replaying older levels with my GF instead. I hope getting my dumb cat out of each of the games gets me something cool, like exercising her in Desperate Struggle.

Edit: Oh, it does have a section where you can co-op in Golden Dragon. Neat.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
It's because we are all playing Travis Strikes Again.

Man I'm slugging through it slowly though. I just got to Golden Dragon. Kinda got mad there wasn't really co-op in that one, so I ended up replaying older levels with my GF instead. I hope getting my dumb cat out of each of the games gets me something cool, like exercising her in Desperate Struggle.

Edit: Oh, it does have a section where you can co-op in Golden Dragon. Neat.
It does get you something cool once you find her five times.

However, finding her in Golden Dragon can be a pain because it's largely luck-based. (the 64th floor is like a maze, and some doors are permanently blocked off when you go through them) Not helping matters is that you randomly start in one of four rooms, so you might have to back out and go back in until you get the room you need. (I believe you have to start at the third room, take the left path, and go down afterwards, but I could be wrong on whether it's left or right - either way, you get to a room with a lot of coins, and she's in the back of it, though you can't see her because of the wall)

Last edited:

AntagonisticGalaxyCetacea

Smash Journeyman
After finally playing Travis Strikes Again (and having a good time with it), it begs the question;

What games would Sakurai draw inspiration from with his moveset?

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
After finally playing Travis Strikes Again (and having a good time with it), it begs the question;

What games would Sakurai draw inspiration from with his moveset?
Knowing Sakurai, as many as he can get away with.

Also, I've been watching Matt McMuscles play through Travis Strikes Again, and I'm not going to lie, it's gotten me really interested in Travis. Now granted, I've never played a No More Heroes game, but I do consider myself a supporter of the character, for what it's worth.

Also, I have a quick question. I know that Suda51 has included so many references to his past games that he has basically created a Suda51 Cinematic Universe, but does anyone mind actually explaining the references, since I've only heard of most of these games, but have never played any of them? Though you might need to put a spoiler tag, just in case...

Rayleigh

Smash Journeyman
Too many to say, so I'll give you some of the main lowdowns of the universe:

- Badman is a Killer7 character. His daughter Charlotte is Bad Girl, the rank 2 Assassin from NMH1.
- Travis is stated to be the champion of the above ground assassin ring, meaning we could see more of a mix within MHM and Killer 7.
- Mondo Zappa, who appears to kill 'Dracula', is the protagonist of Killer is Dead. He also is an assassin. Suda likes assassin.
- Shadows of the Damned is a video game from within the universe and not real unlike the rest of Suda's works.
- I dunno where a lot of the other games come in right now. On phone, tagging you other guys in for backup

Last edited:

Wiziliz

Smash Journeyman
I support Travis Touchdown! He'll probably be in my top five most wanted until he's added. If after pulling off a true combo, slots would be activated, I could imagine fights involving him would be crazy!

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Even though it was supposed to come out tomorrow, the Shinobu DLC for Travis Strikes Again is out now. (at least if you got the complete edition; not sure if it's available individually through the eShop)

To access the Badman Strikes Back story (which gives him backstory), you have to go to his car.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Even though it was supposed to come out tomorrow, the Shinobu DLC for Travis Strikes Again is out now. (at least if you got the complete edition; not sure if it's available individually through the eShop)

To access the Badman Strikes Back story (which gives him backstory), you have to go to his car.
Well, it looks like I'm rushing home to test this out on break. Might even bring my Switch to work. I was playing co-op with my friend and we aren't super far in; will I still be able to test her out in a new game? Or is she like a DLC episode?

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Well, it looks like I'm rushing home to test this out on break. Might even bring my Switch to work. I was playing co-op with my friend and we aren't super far in; will I still be able to test her out in a new game? Or is she like a DLC episode?
I'm pretty sure that I have it because I got the season pass (she doesn't look to be available as a separate purchase yet). I skimmed through the notification, but I think it said that you have to beat the game to play as her. (though I'm not 100% sure)

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I'm pretty sure that I have it because I got the season pass (she doesn't look to be available as a separate purchase yet). I skimmed through the notification, but I think it said that you have to beat the game to play as her. (though I'm not 100% sure)
Okay, cool. I'll focus on beating the game then. I got the complete package too.

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
Does anybody know if the Coffee and Doughnuts softlock was patched yet? I
m in the mansion, at the part where there are two dead Brain Buster's in the hall, and I can't find any newly opened doors, even with the new additional elevator floors to explore.

*EDIT* Nevermind, I found the new room.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
The Bad Girl DLC is out early for people with the season pass - it includes several new shirts, a new text adventure, the Killer Marathon level, Bad Girl (who's unlocked once you beat the text adventure and level), and a massive amount of hints towards a proper No More Heroes 3.

Also, Sylvia shows up, and she's had two kids with Travis.

The new level is fairly frustrating (it's on a strict time limit, and if that timer runs out, you instantly die), but since the level has Azteca stones (even though the game gives you more than you need), I checked the store to see if there was anything new to spend them on. Not only are there new indie game T-shirts, but there's a free option to unlock all of the shirts, including the Zelda themed ones and the Unreal Engine shirts that are normally tied to collectibles. The description says that it's an apology for some sort of inconvenience - I have no idea what that would be, but I'm not complaining.

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion
Travis is one of the most rarely discussed newcomers, really hoping this is a hint that Nintendo has him selected. Travis NEEDS to be one of the Fighters Pass for unpredictability.

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
Travis is one of the most rarely discussed newcomers, really hoping this is a hint that Nintendo has him selected. Travis NEEDS to be one of the Fighters Pass for unpredictability.
Suda said flat out it's not happening. Our best hope is that Smash DLC gets a season 2, where maybe then Travis'll be back on the table.

Top Bottom