• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Climbing the Ranks - Travis Touchdown For Switch Smash!

AntagonisticGalaxyCetacea

Smash Journeyman
I thought about this earlier, implying that the DLC characters will get CGI trailers it'd be cool if Travis' trailer was a big reference to the very first trailer of No More Heroes

Another idea I had, was that since every fighter is numbered; Travis would probably see it as Rankings just like the UAA. So the trailer would focus on quick little scenes of him fighting randomly chosen characters in ascending order until he gets to his final battle with Mario.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
Reddit did a poll for wanted DLC (among other things) and got this: https://i.imgtc.com/9X06jCl.jpg

The maker says that removing AT's and Costumes the top 50 would have 2B, Goomba, Chun Li, Slime, Raiden, Wonder Red, and Octoling at the tail end.

Pretty psyched to see Tavis there before his game has even come out. I look forward to seeing that jump up! We'll probably see more polls aroud when the first Fighter Pass DLC comes out and people know what the packs are going to look like, and that should have Travis in prime popularity position (for a potential time they're looking at possibilities for a wave 2? That's if he doesn't make wave 1 first)

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Reddit did a poll for wanted DLC (among other things) and got this: https://i.imgtc.com/9X06jCl.jpg

The maker says that removing AT's and Costumes the top 50 would have 2B, Goomba, Chun Li, Slime, Raiden, Wonder Red, and Octoling at the tail end.

Pretty psyched to see Tavis there before his game has even come out. I look forward to seeing that jump up! We'll probably see more polls aroud when the first Fighter Pass DLC comes out and people know what the packs are going to look like, and that should have Travis in prime popularity position (for a potential time they're looking at possibilities for a wave 2? That's if he doesn't make wave 1 first)
It makes me happy since he never seems to have much support. I feel like he and Phoenix Wright both have a ton of silent supporters, which pleases me, but hopefully this means if there's a wave 2 we can mobilize.

I still think he has a decent shot at being in the Fighters Pack. Not a massive one, but a decent one. New game coming out, DLC probably chosen around the time it was in development, Nintendo history, had games moved twice to help Nintendo out... I can only hope.

NotLiquid

Smash Lord
Interesting detail that might be a point in favor of Travis' chances - Nintendo are distributing the physical version of Travis Strikes Again.
https://gematsu.com/2018/11/travis-...north-america-and-europe-includes-season-pass

Now it's worth pointing out that publishing =/= distributing. The publisher of the game is still Grasshopper. Nintendo distributing just means that Grasshopper are basically footing the money for Nintendo to handle physical copies. That having been said, it's not as if Nintendo does this to any other title. They've clearly shown a visible interest in the series for a while now, which might incentivize them to have the character be one of the shortlist candidates.

Last edited:

NotLiquid

Smash Lord
They don't?

I was under the impression that Nintendo did a LOT of distributing.
I can't think of a lot of titles that Nintendo personally distribute (or publish for that matter) that aren't first party titles unless they're personally invested in it's success. For example, Shovel Knight and Shantae - despite occupying a similar base as No More Heroes - aren't distributed through Nintendo. In the case of the latter it's through Xseed, while the former, despite being extremely successful on Nintendo (as well as getting Amiibo and even getting into Smash as an AT) was entirely self-published/distributed. That Grasshopper went to Nintendo to distribute the game rather than Marvelous is somewhat surprising.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Interesting detail that might be a point in favor of Travis' chances - Nintendo are distributing the physical version of Travis Strikes Again.
https://gematsu.com/2018/11/travis-...north-america-and-europe-includes-season-pass

Now it's worth pointing out that publishing =/= distributing. The publisher of the game is still Grasshopper. Nintendo distributing just means that Grasshopper are basically footing the money for Nintendo to handle physical copies. That having been said, it's not as if Nintendo does this to any other title. They've clearly shown a visible interest in the series for a while now, which might incentivize them to have the character be one of the shortlist candidates.
Oh this...this is good news.

Oh man, if this really happens I don't know what I'll do with myself.

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
I think it is worth noting that, among other games that were announced for the Switch's unveiling, Nintendo picked No More Heroes of all things to try and get people excited about the Switch. It's interesting since the NMH series was for a long time a Nintendo exclusive series, and afaik it's returned to being so with Travis Strikes Again. I've always been told that the NMH games, though a cult following they have, they've never sold very well. Is the NMH series a bit like Earthbound where their greatness was discovered after in mattered? Either way, Nintendo is backing the NMH series right now, and Sakurai is good friends with Suda 51. It is also interesting that Suda 51 was also listed as a special thanks in Brawl (despite nobody being quite sure what he contributed to the game.). Suda has never been shy about wanting Travis to happen in Smash, he is good friends with Sakurai, And Nintendo is backing the NMH horse, so even if DLC choices are out of Sakurai's hands, Travis could have still made the list Sakurai had to choose from. I agree with above, I'm not going to claim Travis has a great chance of happening, but I'd be so bold to say he has a decent chance.

Smash Journeyman
Apparently in the confirmed Spirits pastebin list, "Shinobu" is one of the characters listed? I dont think it's a complete confirmation but I've yet to find any sort of other videogame character named Shinobu.

If it IS NMH Shinobu though, I find it very suspicious that she's a spirit but Travis is not.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
Apparently in the confirmed Spirits pastebin list, "Shinobu" is one of the characters listed? I dont think it's a complete confirmation but I've yet to find any sort of other videogame character named Shinobu.

If it IS NMH Shinobu though, I find it very suspicious that she's a spirit but Travis is not.
gbCdp2o.png

OOOOOF

NotLiquid

Smash Lord
I hate to do one of those "character's chances might have increased" posts because they're always fairly biased, but something that was rather noteworthy to me about Joker's inclusion as DLC is that it follows multiple rumors that Persona 5 was getting ported to Switch. This comes courtesy of MysticDistance. It seems like the inclusion of Joker might've been a calculated choice based on the game coming to Switch.

If so, I think Travis' chances might've gone up, seeing how Travis Strikes Again is also on the way. Nintendo have also emphasized that there'll be plenty of surprise guests people won't expect, so I think he has a realistic shot now.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
So apparently there's a Travis Strikes Again: No More Heroes presentation happening next week with a "huge announcement". Not anything to do with Smash per say, but maybe NMH1 & NMH2 for Switch? The more representation the better, we'll see!
That would be awesome! I'm definitely not expecting Smash, but anything to get people to play his games. Having a modern way to play NMH2 would be great!

Malkior7

Majestic Space Pirate
NNID
Sagittarius
3DS FC
4167-5777-1464
I find it hard to believe that the second DLC character would be revealed this soon but then again it was hard to believe the first one would be revealed at TGA.

Also this presentation seems to be geared towards Japanese audiences going by the times.

Last edited:

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
Hypothetical Classic Mode route for Travis

Death Metal, Dr. Peace, Shinobu, Destroyman, Holly Summers, Bad Girl and Dark Star
Hnnng, I think I've almost got it. Lesse here, Helter Skelter, Dr. Peace? (I admit I had to look this one up for a possible answer.), Shinobu, Destroy Man, Holly Summers, Bad Girl, then Henry? Or Maybe Dark Star? Honestly if it's supposed to be Henry they could just give Travis a Henry themed skin and have the boss fight be Travis v. Travis (Henry).

Last edited:

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
Last edited:

Smash Journeyman
I'm starting to think that Travis might not be DLC after all.

I dunno how NDAs work but seeing Suda still talk about Travis in Smash seems to be a red flag. Unless its just Suda being Suda and not caring, I feel that he has to be quiet about it. But then again, if he refuses to answer I suppose it would seem suspicious? I dunno. I just remember that Wayforward stopped mentioning Smash and it was later shown that Shantae was a spirit.

We're not entirely sure how the DLC works, we just know that all of the characters have been chosen already right? Maybe Suda was never told yet. But I doubt that.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Yeah, I'm pretty sure this is a big deconfirmation. A shame, to be sure, but at least we have a No More Heroes game on the way and he's clearly showing that if we want NMH3 to happen we just need to get TSA. Fun stuff either way. I like that we know he still *really* wants Travis in Smash.

Small bummer, but hey. There's always wave 2.

Last edited:

Glitch_man42

Smash Rookie
I've been thinking about Travis's chances for Smash. And from some standpoints, he seems somewhat likely.

The biggest thing he has going for him as Smash DLC is the be able to market Travis Strikes Again: No More Heroes. Or the 'big announcement' from the upcoming Famitsu livestream. Which is probably a NMH 1 + 2 Switch port, but might be a something else or multiple things. And I would say Travis Strikes Again needs a bit of a marketing push. And since its only on Switch, Nintendo will try its best to market it, so Travis *might* show up to market TSA:NMH game and or the probable ports of 1 + 2.

And I understand that the mention of Smash in the interview might seem like it could hint at Travis not being in due to NDAs being a thing. But Suda could just be you know being Suda, he does what ever he want. Or just he could be aloud to talk about Smash in some capacity. Or we are thinking too hard about this. Probably the last one.
No we are 100% thinking too hard about this. I am at least.

Tetiro

Smash Ace
Travis is genuinely a fantastic character and would be amazing in Smash. I will have my fingers crossed for you!

Last edited:

Smash Journeyman
“We’ve heard that everybody is excited for Travis to be in Smash Brothers, sorry to say but Travis won’t be in Smash Bros this time.”

“We’ll make sure he gets into the next one though!”

Oh well, was fun while it lasted.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Sad...I thought this was his most likely shot...but hey, like I say at least we know Suda is serious about wanting him in. Next time!

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
Oof, deconfirmation? Where's the source? But hey, there's always next time for our no more hero!

*EDIT* Ah, I see. Suda was quick to dash hopes, eh? Well, good on him for not keeping us waiting. Still, the season pass is cool. I remember we were talking awhile back about why we have a new character as the player 2 in TSA, as opposed to Shinobu or Henry. Shinobu will be delightful to see again, and I'm interested in how Bad Girl plays, hopefully not too much like her father, and I hope her inclusion isn't spoiling part of the ending of the game. Also, woo hoo! Our boy Atkins is voicing Travis once again! Here's hoping this means there are more voiced lines than the TSA demos have led us to believe. I've missed Travis' sharp wit, snappy one liners, and venomous tongue for far too long.

Although I kind of hope they make more DLC, if just because Henry really should be a character too.

Last edited:

Takasmash

Smash Ace
I hope Travis gets in smash ultimate this is our last chance Suda derives his wish and No More Heros is exclusives to Nintendo like Bayonetta.

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
I hope Travis gets in smash ultimate this is our last chance Suda derives his wish and No More Heros is exclusives to Nintendo like Bayonetta.
Sounds like its' already confirmed not happening. But I'm not worried. Smash isn't going anywhere. We might have to wait another almost decade, but Nintendo isn't letting go of this cash cow. I'd bet my right arm on it. A lot can happen in that time. Nintendo is clearly backing the No More Heroes franchise, and for all we know maybe the series will be a big popularity boom in the time to the next Smash game. I can't speak for everyone here, but I'm not giving up on backing our no more hero.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
My condolences everyone. After the interview Suda gave earlier some days ago, it seemed obvious to me that Suda deconfirmed him himself. This just clarified it definitely.

Just continue to hang in there though, it could happen in Smash 6. In the meantime though, these season passes seem pretty cool, especially with Shinobu coming back. Oh, and it would be good if Capcom can consider bringing back Killer 7.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Yeah, I gotta say the fact that Suda himself came out and deconfirmed it while still the same time bringing back some awesome fan favorites for the season pass and assuring us that he still wanted it as badly as we do really helped soften the blow. It's a shame, but hey, there's always another Smash especially if TSA sells and NMH3 comes out. It was a remote chance anyway, so I can't be too sad. Better to be let down early. I still got my boy Joker so I'm good.

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
In a way, not having Travis now could be a blessing for us. If he comes next game, he could be designed or take inspiration from TSA. I'm digging Travis' new design and his snazzy Death Glove giving him the video game powers. Now if he makes it into Smash he could fight with a glorified light saber, wrestling, AND a Nintendo Power Glove homage. That last part sounds like just the kind of campy goofiness that makes a third party character feel like they belong with Nintendo's brand of silly. Plus Travis might be the closest we ever get to a Power Glove wielder if Captain N never makes it to Smash (Which I still hope for. Don't make fun of my dreams.). The glove gives Travis an excuse to potentially use things like his new force fields in TSA, or maybe homebrew him some moves like a stylish uppercut with the glove arm or something.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Not sure if this is the case elsewhere, but Travis Strikes Again is available to pre-purchase in North America's eShop.

Going by Canadian prices, the game's about $35, while the DLC is about $5 for Shinobu and $7 for Bad Girl. (I assume Bad Girl comes with more content) I believe the physical copy is twice as much as the game, so I figure there'll be one or two more DLC characters, and I'm assuming that Henry is one of them.

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
Not sure if this is the case elsewhere, but Travis Strikes Again is available to pre-purchase in North America's eShop.

Going by Canadian prices, the game's about $35, while the DLC is about $5 for Shinobu and $7 for Bad Girl. (I assume Bad Girl comes with more content) I believe the physical copy is twice as much as the game, so I figure there'll be one or two more DLC characters, and I'm assuming that Henry is one of them.
Here's hoping for Henry.

On a somewhat related note, did anyone see the buzz around Suda hyping up No More Heroes 3, saying Travis will retain his new abilities from TSA intothe third game, and sayin g that Travis will fight Thanos-esque villains, and saying NMH3 will be like The Avengers? I don't know what that means, but knowing the madlad Suda is, I can only imagine.

TheFVguy

Smash Apprentice
I'll be honest, I haven't played any of the No More Heroes games, but I really want to. They look so interesting and fun, so screw it.
Put me in that Support list, also do you guys have any recommendations on how to get into the series.

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
I'll be honest, I haven't played any of the No More Heroes games, but I really want to. They look so interesting and fun, so screw it.
Put me in that Support list, also do you guys have any recommendations on how to get into the series.
Probably the best time to join. As I stated above, Travis is getting some swanky new abilities that would make him awesome for the next go around of Smash, whatever it may be. Don't like another sword swinger with an (admittedly) somewhat anime appearance? Well now he's getting video game powers and a freaking faux Nintendo Power Glove. If a lightsaber swinging wrestler assassin with a power glove isn't exactly what Smash needs yesterday, than I don't know what is. But for real check out the original two games when you get the chance. Admittedly in gameplay they are a bit dated, and afaik they were dated even at the time they came out, but most fans of NMH love the series for it's surreal, absurdist, and meta humor, and seriously, even when the games aren't trying to be funny they are just insane at every opportunity, as Suda games are apparently wont to be (I haven't played any of Suda's games besides NHM1 and 2, to be honest.). If possible, please come back and give us your impression of each boss in the game(s) as you encounter them. And at the end of the day, the gameplay is still solid, if minimalistic at times. Far from unplayable.

*EDIT* As for getting into the series, I've only played the Wii version of 1 and 2, but I know a remaster of NMH1 was made on the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. I don't know if you have to play with motion controls on the Wii version. If you do and motion control gameplay isn't your style, I might recommend the remaster. Same game with updated graphics and bosses from the second game added to the first. Unfortunately, No More Heroes 2 never got a remaster, so for the time being, maybe see if you like the first game and want more, then if the first one was to your liking, bite the bullet and practice those motion controls for the sequel. And of course, you could pick up the NMH series spin-off: Travis Strikes Again, coming out January 18th, 2019. Suda keeps saying sales of the game might determine whether Travis gets a third main series title, which I think is a bit manipulative, but it sounds like the man has some crazy ideas about what Travis' third adventure would look like, so maybe it's worth helping the mad man reach his dream.

Last edited:
Top Bottom