• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Climbing the Ranks - Travis Touchdown For Switch Smash!

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
That would be cool. What shirt references does he have as of now?
At the very least, there's Dead Cells, Hotline Miami, Hyper Light Drifter, and possibly Shovel Knight.

Suda51 stated that he wants to have either 51 or 64 of them in the game, so we'll definitely be finding out about more.

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
Been wanting him since Brawl... however back then his game was too new. wanted him in smash 4 but he didn't get in and now... I wouldn't feel disappointed if he didn't get in but happy if he did...

UserKev

Smash Champion
Travis Touchdown would sick because he'd be more on the realistic side, repping the nerds and real life people in Smash.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
You know, I kinda want him to be the last character to be revealed for DLC. Why you ask? Because then he would be the lowest ranking character in this game.

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
You know, I kinda want him to be the last character to be revealed for DLC. Why you ask? Because then he would be the lowest ranking character in this game.
I would love a Travis trailer with some kind of climbing the ranks reference in it, maybe an end of trailer montage of Travis fighting each and every Smash character in a Similar style to the boss scrawl opener in NMH1. Start slowly for th first few characters, showing Travis doing sick combos on Mario, Donkey Kong, Link, Samus, before gradually picking up the pace until it's just quick few second scenes of him quickly slashing through characters.

Last edited:

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Travis is not on my personal prediction list (additionally I've never played his games) but he's been on my back burner for sure. I've been keeping an eye on him, since I think he's overlooked in the speculation scene.

While not on my list; I wouldn't mind seeing him, base roster or DLC. I get Scott Pilgrim Vibes from him; and in a video game fighting game, that kind of character would be really cool! The closest thing we have to that right now is Pit.

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
Travis is not on my personal prediction list (additionally I've never played his games) but he's been on my back burner for sure. I've been keeping an eye on him, since I think he's overlooked in the speculation scene.

While not on my list; I wouldn't mind seeing him, base roster or DLC. I get Scott Pilgrim Vibes from him; and in a video game fighting game, that kind of character would be really cool! The closest thing we have to that right now is Pit.
Coincidentally, his overall fighting style, and character story throughout his games is very reminiscent of Scott Pilgrim. Sometimes I wonder who would win in a fight against Scott Pilgrim VS. Travis. Travis is more confident and way more vulgar than Scott, but otherwise both series feature a geeky dude trying to beat down every one in his path to get the girl (And also both series contain the subtext about growing up and how it's not just about beating up all your enemies to make things okay and all of that.)

Last edited:

Next Door Dog

Smash Apprentice
I would love a Travis trailer with some kind of climbing the ranks reference in it, maybe an end of trailer montage of Travis fighting each and every Smadsh character in a Similar style to the boss scrawl opener in NMH1. Start slowly for th first few characters, showing Travis doing sick combos on Mario, Donkey Kong, Link, Samus, before gradually picking up the pace until it's just quick few second scenes of him quickly slashing through characters.
I was thinking of something like this the other day. It'd work really well since all the fighters are numbered in this game already.

I can't remember if it was in this thread or not, but his chances of getting in the base game are slim to none, unfortunately. Suda51 did an interview a year or so ago (with Source Gaming I think?), mentioning how he'd like Travis to play if he was in Smash. This would've been during the development of Ultimate, which would violate the NDA if he was in fact in the game.

Still hoping he gets in as DLC. Now that we've got the Belmonts in the game, Travis is hands-down my most wanted character.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Still hoping he gets in as DLC. Now that we've got the Belmonts in the game, Travis is hands-down my most wanted character.
I think Travis is very likely when it comes to DLC. He does have a new game coming, and Suda51 is probably badgering Sakurai about Travis's inclusion anytime he gets the opportunity.

Miifighters4Smash5

Smash Journeyman
I Mean if Bayonetta, a Demonic M-rated Witch can be in the game; Why Can't Travis Touchdown; Though They'd have to Bleep out his Profanity to keep Smash at Most T-rated or lower;
Besides, It'd be Cool to see Travis be the source of the New equivalent to either Palutena's Guidance AND/OR Snake's Codex; alongside Henry Cooldown as an Echo Fighter(If Simon Belmont can be a Newcomer with an Echo Fighter, Why couldn't Travis too)

and at the very least, they could make his Clothes, Laser Katana, Hairstyle & Sunglasses as a Mii Fighter Costume(If those are coming back, alongside Character Customization, NOT Moveset Customization, I Mean Being able to change the Face of the Mii Fighters, the Clothes they are wearing, etc alongside the Choosing of the Voices they'll have)

Last edited:

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
I Mean if Bayonetta, a Demonic M-rated Witch can be in the game; Why Can't Travis Touchdown; Though They'd have to Bleep out his Profanity to keep Smash at Most T-rated or lower;
Besides, It'd be Cool to see Travis be the source of the New equivalent to either Palutena's Guidance AND/OR Snake's Codex; alongside Henry Cooldown as an Echo Fighter(If Simon Belmont can be a Newcomer with an Echo Fighter, Why couldn't Travis too)

and at the very least, they could make his Clothes, Laser Katana, Hairstyle & Sunglasses as a Mii Fighter Costume(If those are coming back, alongside Character Customization, NOT Moveset Customization, I Mean Being able to change the Face of the Mii Fighters, the Clothes they are wearing, etc alongside the Choosing of the Voices they'll have)
I don't know if they would bleep swears in a smash game; it might seem a little out of place. Odds are they'd just use voice clips that don't see Travis cursing (which admittedly I think is harder for Travis than Bayonetta.), or just record a few new lines. Witty banter that is profanity free, but still fits the character.

Another route Nintendo probably wouldn't take, but is fun to imagine is I was humoring the idea of recording voice lines that use non swears or less offensive words in place of swears, but spat with the same intensity. "Listen here all you jerks and screwheads, you violence loving maniacs. I don't care where you're from or how strong you are, rest easy knowing I will take you down, because I'm going to reach the top!".

*EDIT* Come to think of it, Travis' "What a pain!" and "You're a joke!" lines would be good for smash. Family friendly, and also conveys his harsh personality. That's still not many lines, but it's a start.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Count me in for support. Travis is a great character that really made use of the Wii motion controls.

Now if only Travis Returns was the same type of genre rather than the weird top down game.

Ah well, fingers crossed for NMH3!

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
It's so nice of Suda to push back Travis Strikes Again so it doesn't negatively impact Smash's sales.
(seriously, in hindsight, that makes a LOT of sense)
I know they don't want to bash poor Suda, but unless it was a bit of sarcasm, it's funny to me that the article frames it like Travis Strikes again could put a dent in Smash sales. Given how a lot of people still don't know who Travis is, and maybe TSA will be their introduction game, if anything it's a smart move so that the game has a better chance of not being completely dwarfed by Smash Bros.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Quite sweet, but let's be real, I don't think Smash Bros is the game that would have it's sales negatively impacted if they released around the same time.
He's being sarcastic, or at least playful.

Omega-Smasher

Smash Cadet
He was my most requested character in Sm4sh. Years later, he still is my most requested 3rd-party rep for Smash Ultimate now.

In addition, with the addition of Travis Strikes Again on the Switch and SUDA 51 himself wanting Travis in Smash, Travis still has an opportunity and he can distinguish himself from the roster by a good margin.

Regardless, I still want him in, whether its in the base game or as DLC.

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
Found a recent interview with Suda51.

https://nintendowire.com/news/2018/09/05/suda51-talks-travis-strikes-again-amiibo-and-more/

Mostly talks about his new game, but they did ask him which of his creations he feels closest to and who he would vote for in Smash. And, you guessed it, it's Travis.

But it sounds like he doesn't think he's in the base game of Smash, which is a bummer. I mean, I always thought he'd be a great candidate for DLC anyway, and with it releasing just after Smash, here's to hoping he climbs the ranks of Smash maybe sometime in the future.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Travis is my second most-wanted character in Smash. He made the Wii the well-rounded system it was by blowing our minds with two smart, funny, subversive games. NMH2 has some of the most beautiful boss fights I've ever seen and Travis is a Nintendo All Star that would be a blast and a half to play as. I need to piledrive some people! They could easily get around the swearing by adding his more coarse lines ("What a joke!") And really, his movesets just lends itself to it.

Shinobu or Henry as an assist trophy would be way cool (though I'd adore Shinobu as a second NMH rep) and the stage should be Santa Destroy Stadium. Start where you fought Dr. Peace, crash through the floor to where you fight Bad Girl.

It shocks me he's not more popular! He was one of the iconic Wii names to me because he showed the versatility of the system and how it could appeal to all types of gamers. The only reason he isn't number one on my list is because Phoenix Wright just barely edges him out.

Plus, look, let's be real. Fighter 69 is next. It's the perfect time for our boy Travis. C'mon.

HenryZusa

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HENRYZUSA
3DS FC
2793-0702-9089
Man how I wish to have Travis in Smash, but sadly, I don't think he's in. At least not in the base game.
I hope the new game has good sales, so Sakurai considers him for DLC.

FlintIke

Smash Journeyman
I didn't see that there rly is a support thread for Travis lmao.
Since Bayonetta was confirmed as DLC in Smash 4, Travis was the rly first character that popped out of my hand since I always thought the insults and the blood and stuff would make it kinda tricky to include him. But since they can just "censor" those things I am more than glad to give my support to him as well. I rly hope he can at least be a DLC character if not someone for the main roster since Travis Move-Set potential is so huge <3
And a system to recharge your weapon with a little battery symbol next to travis character battle portrait would be rly cool :D

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
The threads been pretty quiet, probably because of less high profile Travis Strikes Again news, but unfortunately with Incineroar being in we lose one of the things to truly make Travis unique, he'd no longer be the only wrestler.

That's not to say that he wouldn't still be amazingly unique with a battery mechanic and combining sword fighters with wrestling grapplers, but it's something.

Also since Sakurai said that DLC was part of the project plan it's unfortunate that there won't be a popularity push after TSA releases to help his DLC chances, unless a second round of DLC comes out later.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Nah, this is it! This is his chance! You never give up until the end!

Travis, 2B, and Phoenix Wright are my top picks for DLC. I REALLY think Travis has a shot this time.

Wiziliz

Smash Journeyman
The threads been pretty quiet, probably because of less high profile Travis Strikes Again news, but unfortunately with Incineroar being in we lose one of the things to truly make Travis unique, he'd no longer be the only wrestler.
Dual sword wielding would be heaps unique, I think.

Wiziliz

Smash Journeyman
I feel like No More Heroes being Konami kills his chances for this game. He could be DLC, though.

Simplythe1

Smash Apprentice
I feel like No More Heroes being Konami kills his chances for this game. He could be DLC, though.
umm...Konami doesn't own No More Heroes..... They published the Playstation version sure, but the series is actually owned by Marvelous, and Grasshopper Manufacture

AntagonisticGalaxyCetacea

Smash Journeyman
If anything seeing Incineroar in action made me more excited to see Travis in the game. What WOULD make Travis unique in my opinion is the ability to throw in the middle of attacks/combos much like in his own games.

I could see Travis being DLC, but it all depends on how Sakurai feels about the character.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
Just to be clear, I did say 'one of' the things that makes him unique :p He still absolutely has so much else going for him in that department, what with being a character who is both a sword wielder AND a grappler as far as archetypes go, let alone the actual mechanics of his series.

AntagonisticGalaxyCetacea

Smash Journeyman
Here's some stuff I sketched up a while ago, I would really love to see Travis finally have his shot in Smash. I've wanted him since Brawl.

GhostStorm

Smash Apprentice
Here's some stuff I sketched up a while ago, I would really love to see Travis finally have his shot in Smash. I've wanted him since Brawl.

Aside from joining the support thread...man, I was just thinking about how cool it would be for Travis to face off against Inceneroar. Suda 51 being able to convince Sakurai would make him the goat forever. Great drawings by the way, that's fantastic.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero

I am suddenly much more hopeful.

This could be it, guys. Travis Strikes Back is being marketed big time.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
Thatr was my first thought too. He's not some newbie that Sakurai needs to extrapolate his own moveset ideas for, he's a familiar Nintendo character who has a new game coming out and he's no so long into the future that picking him as a character now would involve a bunch of speculation.

Top Bottom