• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

CLG | Nakat: Why I Love Brawl

Nakat may be known these days for his strong play of Smash 4, but once he was one of the greatest names in Brawl. He was ranked number one on the Tristate Brawl power rankings and could command the Ice Climbers as well as Fox with precision. Needless to say, Nakat and Brawl have a serious history together. Recently, Nakat made a video on why he loves Brawl talking about some of the best parts of the game as well as his time playing it. Give it a watch!

Like the video? Think Brawl deserves to see more time to shine? Let us know in the comments below and stay tuned to Smashboards for the best in Brawl news coverage.

Last edited:

Comments

D
I've had my copy of Brawl since launch day and never plan to ever sell it, it's such a wonderful game all around and I still love competitive Brawl even with Smash 4 and Melee still dominating at the moment. I really do hope the game gets a revival, it can coexist with the others instead of being shunned like it is now.

What is everyone's obsession with Moxie 2d portraits for their videos?
Anime fans make up a large portion of the Smash fan base, competitive and non-competitive.

As such, when a competitive player wants to make banner images and what not, they often get someone who can draw in an anime art style, since that's what they like and what many of their followers would want on a T-Shirt or something.

I'm actually not setting up for a "TOO MANY ANIME CHARACTERS" joke or anything. If you are in the Smash fan base for even a little, you start noticing the overlap with anime fans pretty quickly.

I didn't care for Brawl nearly as much as I loved Melee. However I'd be lying if I didn't say that game still consumed countless hours of my time as well as my brothers and friends.

I dunno. Brawl is easily my least favorite of the series, glad you liked it but the majority of this video is you saying you like it because you like it.

D
Only just now I realized that the video thumbnail is Fox hitting Meta Knight with his up smash.

You so cheeky, Nakat. :fox:

I know people only care about competitive part of the game because this website focus on the competitive scene, but we should remember how epic was the Sub-space emisary story mode compared to the other games.
If smash 4 didn't had for glory mode, it would be the worst game of the series for me, since his story mode is one of the weakest one. But I spended a lot of hours in his wifi mode, just like the single player modes in brawl.

I enjoy every title in the Smash series. That being said, The communities best interest is to get behind one game if it wants to have a real good shot at being e-sports long term. Dividing the community into 4 games has us spread too thin and is detrimental to the over all health of the scene. Not to mention how much worse it makes the entry barrier into the community. Now if you're playing for fun, play whatever game you please. Other communities don't do this to themselves.

I enjoy every title in the Smash series. That being said, The communities best interest is to get behind one game if it wants to have a real good shot at being e-sports long term. Dividing the community into 4 games has us spread too thin and is detrimental to the over all health of the scene. Not to mention how much worse it makes the entry barrier into the community. Now if you're playing for fun, play whatever game you please. Other communities don't do this to themselves.
While this does make some sense, if you look at evo and see how only a very small number entered both Melee AND Smash 4 it's amazing. We may all be "smashers" but Melee and Smash 4 fans are clearly distinct camps in many cases.

This doesnt work because every game in the series plays very differently, except maybe brawl and s4.

I have fond memories of Brawl but at this point I think I went to like both Smash 4 and Melee over it.

I still like the game but I changed when new things happened with experience to where I liked new things over it. It got me strongly into smash though and I do thank it for that.

Im not trying to start any wars as Its stupid to see the divide and hate amoungst smashers for their preffered smash game. But for me personally I've never had the high-to-low of being so excited for a new game and ending up so displeased with it as I was with brawl.

This doesnt work because every game in the series plays very differently, except maybe brawl and s4.
not really an excuse, considering how ST, SF3, USF4 and Alpha all play differently in styles too as well, yet they still stay behind 1 or 2 games.

The difference in SF games is nowhere near as drastic as the differences between smash games.
Ehh, sort of.

They still all play like a smash game where as street fighter still plays like street fighter.

Even with mechanical differences they still are very similar.

The comparison with SF and Smash to me is mostly spot on.

Me play Brawl again? Heck no. If you wanna play Brawl, that's cool. More power to you. But me, after playing Smash 4, I knew I'd never go back to Brawl.
I even told my friend a couple months ago "Wanna play Brawl for **** and giggles?" And he gives me this stare. This stare of "Dude..seriously?".
And yeah, later that night I popped it in to my Wii to play again for nostalgia and nope.

In fact, I find it insulting that the video says that if you hate Brawl, you probably haven't played it. Oh, I played it. I played it since day 1. I played it a lot.
But the moment I got more into Melee (Around 2012), there was a change. I kept playing Brawl with my friends, but when Smash 4 hit the scene, despite not being Melee, it was, imo, a vast improvement.

Like I said, if you like Brawl, that's cool, but I say we let the community speak for itself. Not with words, but with action. If Brawl is really unique from Smash 4 and Melee, it will live on and there will be a scene.
But if it really is just a slower version of Smash 4 with random gimmicks (like tripping), naturally Smash 4 will take its place.

Brawl: the most overhated game in the Smash family even tho it requires more tech than Smash4 and can be a good competitive game once you take ICs and MK out of the picture. Also I like how people cry about tripping which rarely happens but praise rage which affects every match and benefits you for making mistakes.

Last edited:
Also I like how people cry about tripping which rarely happens but praise rage which affects every match and benefits you for making mistakes.
Uh where have you been? Rage is one of the least popular things about Smash 4, period. Who praises rage while bashing tripping?

Last edited:
I'll be honest, I've been thinking for ages and I'm still not personally sure whether I like Brawl or Smash4 more.

As for continuing a Brawl competitive scene... there's nothing to lose by continuing it, I'd say give it a shot.

Brawl: the most overhated game in the Smash family even tho it requires more tech than Smash4 and can be a good competitive game once you take ICs and MK out of the picture. Also I like how people cry about tripping which rarely happens but praise rage which affects every match and benefits you for making mistakes.
I've never heard of anyone praising rage..what? Blame the smash documentary for bringing unneeded hate to Brawl. Even if you take out ICs and MK out of the picture, like 80% of competitive Brawl players play them and it is not good at all, and there are still problems with Dedede down-throw and grab release on the mother kids, it still has balancing issues outside of MK and ICs but it's still fun af.

Ehh, sort of.

They still all play like a smash game where as street fighter still plays like street fighter.

Even with mechanical differences they still are very similar.

The comparison with SF and Smash to me is mostly spot on.
Saying all smash games are similar because "they play like smash" is the same as saying that an egg is similar to milk because both are white.

Anime fans make up a large portion of the Smash fan base, competitive and non-competitive.

As such, when a competitive player wants to make banner images and what not, they often get someone who can draw in an anime art style, since that's what they like and what many of their followers would want on a T-Shirt or something.

I'm actually not setting up for a "TOO MANY ANIME CHARACTERS" joke or anything. If you are in the Smash fan base for even a little, you start noticing the overlap with anime fans pretty quickly.
I understand that. Was just making a point that almost every smash 4 related posts seems to come from a player/community member with a portrait drawn by one particular artist, whom I very much adore their work. Nakat, Omni, and Gimr notably.

Yeah, I get why, especially after your explanation. But it's just silly nobody else noticed that lol.
Don't lie black anime guys look cool ;)

:150:
Anything drawn by Moxie2d looks cool:yeahboi:

Saying all smash games are similar because "they play like smash" is the same as saying that an egg is similar to milk because both are white.
I know competitive players will tell you they play differently, this is true for a lot of games.

In a general level they aren't that different from one another.

If you said Smash vs Rivals of Aether or PlayStation all stars then I think it would be more in the ballpark of drastically different.

Putting it on par with Street Fighter in terms of differences between games I would say is true.

I don't care if a known Smash player writes and even if he's "famous" I'll play what I'll play and that's Brawl. I don't need a popular enigma player known as Nakat to write why Brawl is great. Brawl isn't made for everyone, brawl is made to (really) learn the match-ups, every identity of tricks and set ups your character possess and finally experiment to bring your character into new heights.

Believe it or not that's how a fighting game is nothing is handed to you, you work hard and your sweat on the controller is what counts and makes anyone able to beat anyone no matter what excuse someone will write or become pitiful in their own notorious words. Thanks.

Last edited:
Brawl is where my interest in smash really grew. I was only a casual back then, but I wanted to become competitive with the game after watching lots of tournaments from top level players. My biggest problem with brawl was 3 things:MK, icies, and tripping. These 3 are the reasons I never got into the scene. Also, chaingrabs are stupid. It was fun though, and I wouldn't mind seeing it come back. I think it's a little sad that out of all the smash games, brawl is really the only one that is actively shunned by a large part of the smash community.

While this does make some sense, if you look at evo and see how only a very small number entered both Melee AND Smash 4 it's amazing. We may all be "smashers" but Melee and Smash 4 fans are clearly distinct camps in many cases.
Yeah I agree there are some big differences in the two games and very few enjoy both. That's kind of my point, it's splitting the community. Maybe I should just look at both games as totally different entities like Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat.

Thank you, NAKAT.
Brawl is never dead in my heart, and will never be.
It's probably the game I played the most in my life, and my favorite one in Smash Bros franchise.

Even though I've always had this gripe with Brawl, I can still find myself enjoying it when I play. Especially the with the characters that aren't in Smash 4. I was a huge fan of Wolf and the Ice Climbers, so it's nice to come back and just have a blast with these characters. Even if it means using chain grabs and other cheap stuff.

I also like the fact that it feels faster despite the speed being toned down from Melee and Smash 4, but I don't like that there's not as much character variety competitively and that it was unbalanced (I'm looking at you Meta Knight)... Just playing casually though, it's a lot of fun to be had :)

Top Bottom