• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Cleaning up the Competition- DLN-002 Roll Support Thread

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Roll Support Thread

KotobukiyaRoll.png

Intro (aka Guybrush20X6's crackpot theory)

With a lot of new Smash info incoming we got a rather interesting concept: Echo Characters. Basically, Lucina and Dark Pit but planned and up front about not being entirely new characters. What's more, Shadow seems to have been replaced by Knuckles the Echidna, leading to widespread speculation that he would be an Echo of Sonic. Got to thinking, you could do an echo of just about every 3rd party character
  • Sonic/Shadow​
  • Pac-Man/Ms. Pac-Man​
  • Solid Snake/Naked Snake (Big Boss)​
  • Cloud/Zack​
  • Ryu/Ken​
  • Bayonetta/Jeanne​
  • Simon Belmont/Any other Belmont you wish​

But a problem arises, Mega Man's new version of his final Smash has taken nearly every single character that could conceivably be an echo of him. Proto Man, Bass, X, .exe, Vollnut and Geo. So who's left? Well... we've actually been here before, in a little game by the name of Marvel vs Capcom.

Update: 3rd party Echos are definitely a thing. Thank you Richter :ultrichter:

Update 2: Isabelle shows that Semi-Clones are still a thing that happens and not something dropped from Brawl like tripping. This bodes well for the DLC saga as they ruled out Echos, at least as part of the first 5 packs.

RollBuster.png

Concept

In Marvel vs Capcom, the characters all had "echos" which were alternate colored versions of themselves with different moveset properties. Mega Man on the other hand had a copy with her own unique sprite sheet, his sister Roll. Roll played much like Mega Man but was shorter (which made the final boss a joke if you knew what you were doing) in exchange for worse frame data as her Buster wasn't part of her arm, meaning she had to unholster it each time. Smash Bros Mega Man however is a much different character from MVC Mega Man who was mostly based off Mega Man 8. Roll, much like Mega Man, would be a 3D interpretation of her 8-Bit self so would be the same size, fitting the conditions of Echo Characters having the same dimensions.

MM11RollConcept.png

Other things
Roll has had a variety of outfits over the whole Mega Man seres, including many in Mega Man Powered Up so she has a lot to chose from in terms of costumes and alt colors. Also, MvC Roll is shown using Robot Master Powers so it would not be a huge defiance of canon. I also have it in my head that she'd be a rival to the messy Inklings.

Last edited:

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
I'm not too keen on echo fighters, but I do like Roll as a character.

If she could get some sort of mix of her TvsC and MvsC abilities, I would be down with that.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I'm not too keen on echo fighters, but I do like Roll as a character.

If she could get some sort of mix of her TvsC and MvsC abilities, I would be down with that.
Even if a Echo, she could use her Final Smash to show off her more unique side, both her Level 3 attacks would work perfectly. Either Hyper Roll from MVC or the giant Bucket from Tatsunoko Vs Capcom.

All that said I'd love to see how Roll would work as a broom fighter in Smash with an emphasis on sweeping (both senses of the term) attacks.

Last edited:

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
Clean-up Roll would be great, they could even promote her as some sort of foil to the messy Inklings in trailers and such.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Oh and she'd definitely need to bring this with her

(it has an English version too)

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Could she work as an echo? If that's the case, I'll lend my support.
I think Roll is pretty cool, but with the tight competition, I only see the Daisy ways of her chance even be there.

SquashiniKun

Smash Ace
Finally! Somebody decided to make a thread for Dr. Light's Clean Up Cutie, Definitely supporting her!

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I support Roll! Honestly, seeing Proto Man and Bass in Mega's FS, suddenly made me think of her being playable. I don't know why, but it did.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Wow, wasn't expecting to get this much support ins so little time.

Let's hope the Smash team feels as strongly as we do.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
In terms of costumes, I want her Mega Man 8 outfit but I think she'll run her classic outfit to go with Mega Man's 8-bit stylings with her Mega Man 11 look as an alt costume. She got a Nedroid of that outfit announced long before Mega Man 11 was revealed so it could be like the BotW stuff in Ultimate so far.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Roll would be a perfect choice for a Megaman Echo. She could potentially bring in a few of his customs too.
Would be the perfect reason to bring Beat back. And because so many robot master powers are palette swaps of each other she could get the Electroshock arm treatment no bother.

kool2419

Smash Apprentice
Roll has my absolute support!! I can easily see her as a Echo Fighter for Mega Man, and with Proto Man & Bass now a part of his FS i suddenly had a feeling that Roll will be an Echo Fighter. Call me crazy but i did.

Tornado_Man

Smash Lord
NNID
FireMegaBuster
You already know Roll has my support. As unlikely as it is, having her here would be wonderful.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Roll has my absolute support!! I can easily see her as a Echo Fighter for Mega Man, and with Proto Man & Bass now a part of his FS i suddenly had a feeling that Roll will be an Echo Fighter. Call me crazy but i did.
It's so weird, but that's also why I think Roll might be playable too.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
Waaait.... Are we speculating based on shadows, again? Did pyrosphere haven't teach you anything?

Anyway, shadow as a Sonic echo would be cool, but him not being an assist trophy doesn't mean much, he either could be in the game but not being shown, or either completely replaced by knuckles since he fared probably better on the ballot anyways (popular ballot characters that don't manage to make the cut as playable usually are the first candidates for other content such as assists or Mii costumes)

Anyways, the echo idea is really cool, but there is literally 0 real hint at happening

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Waaait.... Are we speculating based on shadows, again? Did pyrosphere haven't teach you anything?

Anyway, shadow as a Sonic echo would be cool, but him not being an assist trophy doesn't mean much, he either could be in the game but not being shown, or either completely replaced by knuckles since he fared probably better on the ballot anyways (popular ballot characters that don't manage to make the cut as playable usually are the first candidates for other content such as assists or Mii costumes)

Anyways, the echo idea is really cool, but there is literally 0 real hint at happening
Shadows, good word play. Well it does say-

Intro (aka Guybrush20X6's crackpot theory)
-at the top so you can see I'm full aware this is a stab in the dark. Besides, you don't have to get on board with my logic to want Roll in.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
I didn't even know I wanted an echo of Roll until now, you have my support.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Wow, 12 supporters (not including me) so far.

Looks like Roll's one of the silent picks of Smash. Thanks you everyone for showing your support thus far.

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
It hit me the other day that since all her competition has been thrown into Megaman's Final Smash (except Zero). And since she technically could pull out the Megaman echo fighter shtick. She has certainly a bigger chance that one would expect.
At the very least she should be an Assist Trophy.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
She could be an assist, where she cleans up the stage and makes it a tripping hazard but I'm holding out for playable.

Note: If you want to be added to the supporters list, make sure you say so. I got a couple of messages that I'm not too sure of.

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
Mmm I do like the idea of Roll as a character. And I would use her. I still have other characters that I want more on my list but Roll easily gets on my top 10.
As for her actual chances, maybe a 45%.
But alas, count me as a supporter. Because Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite denied me my main Tron Bonne. Maybe I can get some Megaman female rep love in Smash.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Don't mention it often, but Roll's my most fave Classic Megaman-character in the whole series - tons of cute charm that's been fresh for almost four decades now!
I remember fondly maining her around the short time of having Tatsunoko VS Capcom, and her appearances in MvC-series reminds me a lot of Luigi's "comic relief" in Smash-games, TBQH:

Anyway, I think her being an Echo of Mega would be really great extra to receive on this installment, and there's not much competition on her way either.

Could be done if they wanted. I sure hope so.

Last edited:

SEGAGameBoy

Smash Journeyman
Never played Mega Man before. But, I'm planning on getting Mega Man X Legacy Collection for my PS4. I support!

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I wonder, if she's not in the base game, you think she could be a promotional DLC to push Megaman 11?

I that case she may even be more than an echo. Using her Broom-kata to its fullest!

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I wonder, if she's not in the base game, you think she could be a promotional DLC to push Megaman 11?

I that case she may even be more than an echo. Using her Broom-kata to its fullest!
I wonder what'd be the reaction from MM-fans seeing Roll take the spot as the 2nd Megaman-rep this way. :p

Garbage Cat

Smash Rookie
I'd like to support. Roll seems like she'd be a fun character, even as an echo fighter, and since Roll is a somewhat popular Mega Man character and most other Mega Man characters have been deconfirmed, I can easily see her being in the game if a second Mega Man character is made playable.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Thanks to Richter, we now know that 3rd party Echos are a thing and we also know that Zero is an assist trophy.

Things are looking good for her chances here.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Thanks to Richter, we now know that 3rd party Echos are a thing and we also know that Zero is an assist trophy.

Things are looking good for her chances here.
Oh, my gosh! I was JUST about to post that here myself! I also feel as though Roll's chances are better than they've ever been following the confirmation of Richter and Zero (another BIG obstacle in Roll's way) being confirmed as an AT today.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
And with Chrom having his own unique up special, Roll could have Beat as a recovery instead of Rush and instead of the Mega Upper, thwack her foes skyward with her broom.

Garbage Cat

Smash Rookie
And with Chrom having his own unique up special, Roll could have Beat as a recovery instead of Rush and instead of the Mega Upper, thwack her foes skyward with her broom.
I could see Roll using Beat as her up B, and it may be the best and most likely move to be her up B, there's still other possibilities for that specific move. Some liberties could be taken, and Roll could simply use Tango (or any other animal bot, if there's any other alternatives besides Beat) or use the balloon ability from Mega Man 4 that could be a Rush Coil that descends more slowly in the air but grants Roll less vertical distance, something like that. Alternatively, in Mega Man 9 and 10, Proto Man uses Proto Coil in place of Rush Coil, which is just a basic spring instead of Rush, and could work as either Sonic or Mega Man's up B I guess.

Now that I list all of the alternatives for Roll's recovery, I think Beat may still be very likely, but it's hard to tell, because the move itself is in a weird position. Beat was a move that Mega Man used in Smash 4, but since custom moves are (seemingly) not in the game at all, I wonder if it would be considered to be a completely unique move or not within the context of Ultimate, even if it's technically not a new move at all. Then again, since Chrom has a somewhat unique up special and there isn't any officially stated rule on when a special move is too unique for the character to be considered an echo, Beat may just end up as Roll's up special.

On the subject of the Mega Upper, I could see Roll's broom being used kind of like a sword being stabbed upward for the move. I'd love to see Roll use her broom somehow in her move set (perhaps for Flame Sword, Roll's broom, with or without is used instead) but I can't deny that it'd be very amusing to see Roll use the Mega Upper with no problem

Last edited:

Demonfunds

Smash Journeyman
All her competition is out of the way, things are looking pretty good for her, you can add me to the support list.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
I'm liking where this is going. Heck, they could just recycle Mega Man's other unused custom moves for her if they go the Echo route.

Top Bottom