• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Classic mode contains story elements!

Shoopdawooper

Smash Apprentice
When you look at the classic mode segment in the direct, above the round number is a title.
Kirby's reads gourmet clash. DK's states journey to New Donk city, and Roy's says A journey of swords.

Along with the mention that each fighter will face a set roster of opponents in classic mode, I think this pretty much confirms some form of narrative in the classic mode.

Also, I predict each character will end their classic mode by battling a rival. Similar to soul calibur 2, with a little cutscen to stage the rivalry. I also think the large emphasis of villains as new characters helps the developers creating these rivalries, and that we may expect more villains/rivals to show up. (Shadow anyone?)

I didn't hear anyone about this yet, so I'm interested to hear what you guys think! I personally love the idea of framing the fights more in classic mode, perhaps this is even the way in which you can unlock a new character, by adding the rival of the character you beat classic with to your roster. Thoughts?

Yuya-Noboru

Smash Journeyman
In my created thread about the "Mysterious Mode", someone talked about that and that is an interesting subject. I didn't noticed those elements during today's announcement and I fully agree with you about the villains but I feel quite unsure for narrative elements of the Classic Mode. This mode has always been an arcade mode and I doubt that it will change. I think that's it's more like a special stage rules like "Metal Battle" except that this will be a "Villain battle".

So I'll say the same thing that I wrote in the said thread: We might get a stage where we will fight a villain from the same universe as our characters, or a random villains if there isn't a existing villains of your character's universe in the roster.

Shoopdawooper

Smash Apprentice
Let me clarify; I don't mean a story like the subspace emissary. But just some narrative framework to give the matches and their rulesets meaning, and have a sense of progression throughout the rounds towards a final goal (defeating the rival). That still leaves a lot of room to the arcade style classic mode we're used to, but given that you now face set characters per fighter you play as, this just makes a lot of sense. At least to me.

Yuya-Noboru

Smash Journeyman
Oh, I misunderstood. Yeah that might be the case., the "streamlined" unlocking system Sakurai was talking in his previous announcement would fit. I don't see a Classic Mode without fighting Master-Hand/Crazy-Hand as the final stage though.

But if there's a story-mode, then they might put the fight against them in an adventure mode and then it would work. Bowser/Giga Bowser was the final boss during Melee's Adventure mode so I don't find that fighting another playable character at the end absurd.

Shoopdawooper

Smash Apprentice
Good point with master hand. Perhaps the 7th stage is the rival (yellow chest icon) and the 8th is master hand or some other boss.

Also, the yellow chest icon definitely fits with unlocking something right?

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I just REALLY hope that Classic Mode has boss fights now besides just Master Hand. Dracula and Rathalos just introduced. I really don't want them to be relegated to the Story mode.

Yuya-Noboru

Smash Journeyman
Good point with master hand. Perhaps the 7th stage is the rival (yellow chest icon) and the 8th is master hand or some other boss.

Also, the yellow chest icon definitely fits with unlocking something right?
No, the chest is obviously a Bonus stage like in previous game (except Sm4sh). We can expect to see Break the Target! again but it might be another mode. or even a random stadium game mode (that would be cool).

I just REALLY hope that Classic Mode has boss fights now besides just Master Hand. Dracula and Rathalos just introduced. I really don't want them to be relegated to the Story mode.
According to what we've seen during the Nintendo Direct (talking about the Rathalos fight), there is a mode with bosses fight. I can be a new Story-Mode (That's all I'm waiting for right now) or even Super Smash Bros. Brawl's Boss Battle (my favorite stadium game of every smash, seriously it was so much fun!).

Though I really love MasterH & CrazyH (and even more since the appearance of Master Core), the idea of fighting a random boss would add a lot of replay value to this mode.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Like, boss battles in Classic and a separate Boss Rush mode are the only non-character things I still want from this game.

And even that's not really true because bosses are just an excuse to ask for more characters that wouldn't work as playable. :p

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
What if Master Hand is now fought on an omega mode to fit with the theme

For example, Donkey Kong is a journey to New Donk City, so why not fight Master Hand on New Donk City Hall?

Shoopdawooper

Smash Apprentice
What if Master Hand is now fought on an omega mode to fit with the theme

For example, Donkey Kong is a journey to New Donk City, so why not fight Master Hand on New Donk City Hall?
Or a stage morph occurs to final destination when master hand shows up.

Yuya-Noboru

Smash Journeyman
Fighting against a predefined villain on a Omega version of your selected character's home stage(s) and then it morph into Final Destination when MasterH-CrazyH appears ? That sounds great.

Top Bottom