• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Classic Ganon: The Original King Of Evil!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
Classic Ganon

No, not Ganondorf. Classic Ganon (or simply, Ganon) is a large, blue skinned, pig-beast who wields a trident and commands dark magic. This is the original form of Ganondorf that appeared in Zelda 1, Zelda 2, A Link to the Past, and debatably in Link's Awakening before Ganondorf as a human Gerudo was introduced in Ocarina of Time. He was the final boss and main antagonist of the original Legend of Zelda, A Link To The Past, Ocarina of Time, Twilight Princess, Four Swords Adventures, and kind of in A Link Between Worlds. He was also partially resurrected as the end boss of the Oracle Series linked game. He makes cameos of on the game over screen of The Adventure of Link and as a shadow transformation of the Shadow Nightmares in Link's Awakening.

But how would he have a different fighting style from Ganondorf?

In Smash Bros. he would most likely be about the size of Bowser (possibly a little larger) with similar weight, power and defense. His main method of attack would be his Trident of Power, and he could also use magic from the trident or by himself.

For reference, here are some links to Ganon's boss fights:

LoZ: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O33Xybjegtc
ALttP: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7KeCT8SwBA
OoA/OoS: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzFjUT3w2C0
FSA: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nb_Pf3M3q7Y

Now you may be asking yourself, "Why Classic Ganon?"

Why not? Many other popular Zelda newcomers are other Zelda villains like Vaati and Ghirahim, but why not go back to The Legend of Zelda's origins? Sakurai has stated that for SSB4 he wants to bring back more classic Nintendo characters. Ganon certainly fits that bill, and he would be a great service to people who grew up on the Classic Zelda games.

Some may argue that Classic Ganon should not be in because he is the same character as Ganondorf, just in a different form. While he is, acording to Zelda canon, the same character as Ganondorf*, that should not keep him from being in SSB4. Link, Young Link and Toon Link are essentially different incarnations of the same character. Mario and Dr. Mario are the same character and Sheik is simply Zelda in disguise. And while Ganon may be the same character as Ganondorf, he offers a completely different moveset.

*Technically, the Ganon in Four Swords Adventures is a reincarnation of the original and thus a different entity from the Ganon that appears in ALttP, ALBW and the Oracle games.

Arguments:

1. Ganon is too big!

It's true that the Zelda games and other official content show Ganon to be pretty big; ALttP concept art included in Hyrule Historia puts him at about 1.75 times the height of Link. However, this means nothing when it comes to Smash Bros. Sakurai himself has stated that the series doesn't always stay true to scale, and several characters have been resized to better fit as playable characters. Ganondorf, another form of Ganon, is one of those characters. He's shown to be nearly twice the height of Link in Twilight Princess, yet in Smash Bros. he's barely taller. So saying that "Ganon can't be resized" would be absurd. The developers could easily make him a little taller than Bowser and he would look fine.

2. Ganon is already Ganondorf's Final Smash!

That was the case in Brawl, but we have no information regarding Ganondorf in SSB4. It's entirely possible that his Final Smash has been changed. After all, we already know it has happened to four other characters: Luigi, Pit, ZSS and Kirby. Pit is probably the best example of this, because his old FS incorporated the goddess Palutena, who has now been confirmed as a playable character in SSB4. Thus, being part of a Final Smash in a previous installment doesn't rule out a playable appearance in the future.

Movesets:

[collapse=Specials only moveset by Mega Bidoof]
Up Special: Ganon Leap- Ganon jumps high into the air and when he lands causes damage to anyone standing in the immediate area. This move is similar to King Dedede's up special.

Neutral Special: Fire Bats- Ganon shoots fireballs that move straight out and then transform into bats that fly off in different directions, similar to his attack from A Link To The Past.

Side Special: Trident Throw- Ganon throws his trident which spins forward and then moves up in an arc as it returns to him. This is similar to the way he throws his spear in A Link To The Past and Four Swords Adventures.

Down Special: Lighting Strike- Ganon holds up his spear and summons three lightning bolts that strike the ground around him, similar to his lightning attack from Four Swords Adventures. This attack is also similar to Pikachu's down special.

Final Smash: Moblin Horde- An army of Ganon's foot soilders, the Moblins, descend onto the stage and swarm opponents for a limited amount of time. They can be killed, but it is difficult due to their shear numbers.
[/collapse]
[collapse=Moveset by Toxicroaker]
[collapse=Normal Ground Moves]
Neutral A: Ganon hits with the tip of his trident. He then swings it around and hits with the end of his trident. He follows up by spinning it in front of himself for a second. Then he finishes by thrusting his trident directly outwards.
Forward Tilt: He punches forward. This can be tilted up or down.
Up Tilt: He jabs his trident straight up. This can also be tilted.
Down Tilt: He jabs he trident down low.
Dash Attack: He will lunge forward and punch. This does electric damage.
[/collapse]
[collapse=Smashes]
Forward Smash: Ganon points his trident forward and a blast of dark magic travels forward and explodes in front of him.
Up Smash: He thrusts his trident in the air and five small fireballs rotate around the tip. This will trap opponents. After a while the fireballs will explode. This move is hard to hit and it takes a long time to complete, but it does a large amount of damage.
Down Smash: He Raises his trident overhead and two lightning bolts will crash down to the ground. One of them comes from the head and the other comes from the end. This move has a high start up, but it has a large hitbox and is very powerful.
[/collapse]
[collapse=Aerials]
Neutral Air: Ganon spins his trident quickly around his body. (Like Pit's Neutral Air).
Forward Air: He sweeps his trident in front of him, covered in dark magic.
Up Air: He thrusts his shoulder spikes up. This does aura damage.
Down Air: He stomps down. This move is like Ganondorf's, but it is slower, more powerful, and it makes Ganon pop up when he hits with it. (Think a very slow and powerful footstool)
Back Air: He turns backward and punches behind him.
[/collapse]
[collapse=Specials]
Neutral Special: Trident Toss. Ganon throws his trident forward, causing it to spin. This will act as a very powerful boomerang. It travels at the same speed as Link's Gale Boomerang, but will always come back to Ganon. The move is much more powerful then the Gale Boomerang/Boomerang, and it travels further, but Ganon can't use normal attacks while it travels. He can still perform his specials and any other action (jumping, shielding, using items, and taunts that don't involve his trident) while it is being used. This is a very situational finisher move that shouldn't be used often.
Forward Special: Fire Bat. Ganon sends a single fire bat out in front of him that will cause the ground to catch on fire if it touches it. The fire stays out for 0.5 seconds and doesn't flinch but it will cause 5% damage every 0.2 seconds an opponent is in it. The bat itself does minor damage and can be reflected. The fire on the ground can also be absorbed by Ness, Lucas, and Mr. Game & Watch's down specials.
Up Special: Dark Rush. Ganon will form an orb of dark magic around himself (think Ness PSY Magnet) and rush upward quickly. This is a fast long distance recovery. The move traps the foe if it hits and sends them in a helpless state along with Ganon. This can only be used vertically and does no damage or knockback. Also, due to Ganon's low aerial mobility in a helpless state, this is not very useful unless you are directly below the stage.
Down Special: Stun Jump. Ganon will jump up a short ways and slam into the ground. This will stun anyone in a small area around Ganon as long as Zamus's fully charged down smash. It does a large amount of damage and no knockback. If this is used in the air he will do the same thing, but he can cancel out of it by using another jump or his up special before he starts to fall. He jumps about as high as his short hop and he can also jump to the side if you point that direction when you input the attack. This makes it useful to his recovery to make up for not having any horizontal distance on his up special. He can use this move very well in combination with his other specials. He can use it and instantly send out a fire bat to get a good 10% along with any other move he uses. He can use it to hold the opponent in place to ensure a hit with his trident throw. And he can use it to help with his up special recovery as stated above. As you can see, if you can manage a hit with this move, it can be a major help.
Final Smash: Triforce Blast. Ganon will stomp the opponent into the ground (or meteor mash them until they fall off stage or they hit the ground and then get stuck) and raise his trident overhead. His hand will glow with the mark of the Triforce and he will charge his trident until it is shining gold. He will then thrust it down into the player(s) trapped and anyone else stupid enough to get in the way and do major damage and knockback.
[/collapse]
[/collapse]
[collapse=Moveset by Haibu]
[/collapse]

Gallery:

Artwork by Haibu.

Icons:

List of Supporters:

Mega Bidoof | Pacack | AncientTobacco | Cpt. | Kamiko | BluePikmin11 | BridgesWithTurtles | Sobreviviente | Smash Daddy | ForwardArrow | andimidna | Toxicroaker | Haibu | Dark Phazon | The Drilling Juggernaut | Oblivion129 | Kikwi-Kiwi | Spinosaurus | NocturnalQuill | TeenGirlSquad | Diddy Kong | Xzsmmc | Hexaped | Frontiers | Shalashaska | PixelPasta | Gengar84 | Cyberguy64 | JFM2796 | 8-peacock-8 | Armlesspuppeteer09 | Topplox | Louie G. | Second Power | Phaazoid | Cobalsh | Dalek_Kolt | Rockaphin | lilt | Iko MattOrr | GalacticPetey | SmilingMad | PiChuChu | moneyfrenzy | Gooper Blooper | Reila

Current supporter count: 46

Bring Back Ganon, The Original King Of Evil!

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
LOL As much as I love the idea, this would be nicer as a transformation for Ganondorf.

PressStart

Smash Cadet
I think this would be a fantastic idea. I love the character Ganondorf, but him being a Cpt. Falcon clone has always been a big complaint in Smash Bros. since Melee. This would be a great way to still have the character, and bring him in with a whole new moveset.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Ganondorf shouldn't have to lose the human form just to not be a Capt Falcon clone though, not that I'm against the true Ganon form being a whole new character, as unlikely as it probably is.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I thought it was a silly idea first but something clicked for me. It would totally be cool if there was a character that used ONLY enemies for weapons. Dedede kind of had that with his Down B Waddle Dee attack and K. Roil could use a similar Kremling attack.

Your Fire Keese idea gave me a great idea. Given the immense amount of enemies in LoZ, what if Ganon used only enemies as specials? His regular attacks and Smashed would be focused around his spear and strength.

For example;

Neutral B - Fire or Zice Keese
Side B - Moblin Spear or Octorok
Up B - Peahat
Down B - Beamos or Redead

His grab could be that crazy wall hand thing. His Final Smash could be a horde of them that attack opponents randomly.

:phone:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Yes! I have always wanted Ganon for a long time. I like the SNES version the best. That, to me, is the best version of Ganon.

:phone:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I more see Ganon as a Final Smash for Ganondorf. He'd replace Ganondorf's old Final Smash, which is Beast Ganon, and become a transformation Final Smash, instead of a mere offensive attack.

[collapse=Ganon]
[/collapse]

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
I more see Ganon as a Final Smash for Ganondorf. He'd replace Ganondorf's old Final Smash, which is Beast Ganon, and become a transformation Final Smash, instead of a mere offensive attack.

[collapse=Ganon]
[/collapse]
This would be a great idea. Plus, ocarina of time Ganon was the most intimidating anyway. :awesome:

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
I never thought about Beast Ganon as a playable character before. From what Kolorado described, I can see this idea working. Does it mean it will? Probably not. Still, I like the idea for the moveset; goodness knows I can't come up with anything myself... at the moment.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593

Darkshadow77

Smash Cadet
I think this would be a fantastic idea. I love the character Ganondorf, but him being a Cpt. Falcon clone has always been a big complaint in Smash Bros. since Melee. This would be a great way to still have the character, and bring him in with a whole new moveset.
So ... you're saying that Ganondorf can't have his own moveset?

I would rather see Ganon as a Final Smash, replacing Beast Ganon.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
could be a transformation Final Smash, not unlike Giga Bowser or Wario Man, replacing Beast Ganon from Twilight Princess. his look could be a cross between A Link to the Past and Ocarina of Time, and his weapon would be the dual swords. maybe his human form could use the trident?

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
TBH I'd want a Ganondorf that transforms into classic ganon as a Final Smash. And not like Brawl's Ganon

Maybe the characters in smash shouldn't be designed after specific games

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
It's unlikely that he will get a unique move-set, let's be honest.
Not because he couldn't be a unique character though; Sakurai's love for clones is just too great.

edit: Or semi-clones or whatever nitpickers wanna call it.

Vyse96

Smash Rookie
I would love to see this Ganon over the Ganondorf in Brawl. Though, I personally would rather have Ganondorf, but with a fighting style that actually fits him.

Though as far as Ganondorf transforming into Classic Ganon as his final smash, that I dont think would work very well, considering that this would mess with theories of multiple Ganon's and such.
But idk, still would love to see a non-clone/semi-clone Ganon.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom

Now let me just say that the idea of a classic Ganon is my number one choice for a new Zelda rep, which I plan to explain.

1. Far different than Ganondorf.
To beat a dead horse, Ganondorf needs his sword. To beat a live one, Beast Ganon and his trident would be cool enough. With a wide movepool of magic from the likes of Agathim to brutish trident swings. He would be a unique villain within Smash.
2. Relevancy To The Zelda Series
HooBoy. The Satanic Porker puts the likes of Impa and Toon Zelda to shame, for reference of games where Ganon in his classic pig form was a major force.
Legend of Zelda (final boss, responsible for game events)
Zelda II (Only in game overs, but still the big evil opponent)
A Link to the Past (Agathim, Main antagonist)
Oracle Games (Revived via game linkage, secret final boss)
Four Swords Adventures (Revived, Main Antagonist)
SPOILERS FOR A LINK BETWEEN WORLDS
He's there too, as a major force.
3. Unexpected
We all see Toon Zelda, Tingle, and maybe Impa, but Ganon seems to be a hidden force, and I believe he should be in the game for these reasons.

Sorry for a Second Thread Revival, but I feel it should be discussed. Still a bit new...

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Eh, the leak sounds about right, realistically speaking.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
This needs more discussion. Would you guys actually mind if he replaced Ganondorf?
I for one wouldn't mind this, as Ganondorf feels like a useless character, maybe the trident could give a new gameplay mix.

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
Im scared about ganondorf in smash4.
In every case, say demise, classic ganon, regular ganondorf or a stupid trident, i always lose ._.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
This needs more discussion. Would you guys actually mind if he replaced Ganondorf?
I for one wouldn't mind this, as Ganondorf feels like a useless character, maybe the trident could give a new gameplay mix.
I wouldn't mind per se, but I still don't see it happening.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I wouldn't mind per se, but I still don't see it happening.
Meh if he sees Ganon having more moveset potential than Ganondorf (Who basically was a slow Captain Falcon), then he'll probably add Ganon over Ganondorf. Plus A Link Between Worlds is getting closer to release in Japan, so this may be the time for Classic Ganon to be revealed. It sorta coordinates now.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
As much as I would have vastly preferred Ganon over Ganondorf. I highly doubt he will be anything more but a mere Final Smash for Ganondorf again. At least let us control him for a bit.....

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon
Well if I choose between Ganondorf or Ganon, I will choose Ganondorf with the toon treatment (double swords for the win) but if not, then I will prefer Ganon with his new style:

.n_n.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Meh if he sees Ganon having more moveset potential than Ganondorf (Who basically was a slow Captain Falcon), then he'll probably add Ganon over Ganondorf. Plus A Link Between Worlds is getting closer to release in Japan, so this may be the time for Classic Ganon to be revealed. It sorta coordinates now.
Sakurai himself basically said he didn't give Ganondorf a new moveset in Brawl because he didn't want to alienate the the old Ganondorf players, which I guess says something considering that he mains Falcondorf...

As much as I would have vastly preferred Ganon over Ganondorf. I highly doubt he will be anything more but a mere Final Smash for Ganondorf again. At least let us control him for a bit.....
When you use Ganondorf's flame choke, his final smash is pretty much already inescapable, so why would you need to control Ganon for a bit?

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
When you use Ganondorf's flame choke, his final smash is pretty much already inescapable, so why would you need to control Ganon for a bit?
Because I want to play as Ganon? Although the A Link to the Past or Ocarina of time ones would've been nice. Not that... Lionboar thing from Twilight Princess which we will inevitably have again...

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I can respect that, and I hear ya on wanting one of the more classic Ganon designs, even if I think the 'Lionboar' from TP is awesome too.. Seeing A Link to the Past Ganon again would definitely feel more fresh though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom