• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

CLASH of the Titans 6! - Apex 2013 and Impulse Qualifier!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
At this event I'm going to be raffling off a brand new in box half purple half clear GameCube controller. Very hard to find, they don't make these anymore! Additionally, I'm going to have a bunch of pros autograph the box so it will be a really cool thing for all you Smash fiends out there! The raffle will primarily be advertised on the stream, though you can also enter in the venue. It will be a dollar per entry. We did the same thing at Zenith, here is a picture of it:

mib004

Smash Ace
At this event I'm going to be raffling off a brand new in box half purple half clear GameCube controller. Very hard to find, they don't make these anymore! Additionally, I'm going to have a bunch of pros autograph the box so it will be a really cool thing for all you Smash fiends out there! The raffle will primarily be advertised on the stream, though you can also enter in the venue. It will be a dollar per entry. We did the same thing at Zenith, here is a picture of it:

Chibo when will the schedule be up I need to know

-Cross-

Smash Ace
What's the closest train station to the venue?

Edit: and could anybody provide a ride from said train station to the venue?

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
The closest train station is the New Brunswick train station. Ask around on here and on Facebook, I'm sure someone will be able to get you.

As for setup discounts everyone:

NO ONE NEEDS TO BRING ANY TVs

We have all of the TVs we need for the tournament already. We do however need Wiis and games! For every Wii and copy of Brawl that you bring and we can use, we'll give you $5.

The exact schedule will be up later today, I'm working the kinks out of it now based on how Zenith ran last weekend.

For anyone looking at what to expect from Zenith, this will be ran the same way. Zenith was praised for being well ran, had an amazing stream, tons of setups, good space in the venue, and more!

You want hype? Check out the Grand Finals from Zenith for a taste of what this tournament can offer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iTKxosywts

Keitaro

Banned via Administration
No worries, I just thought I'd ask to see. The trip is quite long from here (16h+ roundtrip), so although this tourney is gonna to be awesome, we may hit up one a little closer
If you guys do come I can likely house you guys for Friday or Saturday night. Wasn't originally going to house anyone for pretty good reasons but you guys would be coming from far so I can at least help your carpool out.

-Crews-

a Strawhat Pirate
Murphy's law is too true. Car troubles will probably prevent Umbra and I from coming to this :/ but I will try my best to make it out.

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
Posting to confirm I'll be attending, along with a few other people from upstate New York.

For a quick question, where there be any discounts for bringing setups?

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
CoT6 Schedule

10:00am - Venue Opens & Signups
11:00am - Doubles Signups End, Bracket is made and ran shortly after
2:30pm - Singles Signups End
3:00pm - Singles Qualification Rounds Begin
7:00pm - Final Singles Bracket Begins (Approximately)

Here is the rough schedule. It is fairly simple, the main times you need to pay attention to is when you arrive to the venue, when doubles starts, and when singles starts. Even though singles signups end at 2:30pm, doubles will continue on until approximately 3:30 - 4pm based on entrants, and all remaining players will not have to play their pools matches until they are finished with doubles.

You'll notice my use of the terms qualification rounds for Singles instead of the standard pools. CoT6 will not run normal round robin pools, but instead bracket pools, which are like qualification rounds.

Bracket pools essentially runs the tournament as if it were straight bracket, but is very organized, runs faster, and allows players to be re-seeded by location part way through the bracket to ensure that players from the same area to not fight each other. It isn't something used by Smash often, though many tournaments have expressed interest in using it in the near future. It's very simple to understand, and will make the event run better. This is actually the system used by the Evolution 2K tournament, and you can find details on how they explain it here: http://evo.shoryuken.com/evo-player-guide/evo-tournament-format/

In short, this is how it will run. Players are still organized into pools just like the round robin system that Smashers are used to. However, instead of playing a round robin set in the pool, players play a double elimination bracket. For CoT6, the top 2 or 4 players will advance from each pool, based on how many entrants there are. If top 2 players advance, then players will play the double elimination bracket until Grand Finals, without playing it out. That way you have left one player in winners, and one player in losers. These two players advance to the final bracket. If top 4 players advance, you play up until Winners Finals and Losers Semis, so you have two players left in winners and two players left in losers, and these four players move onto the final bracket.

The final bracket is then made, and anyone who advanced from the qualification round in winners still will be put into the winners side in the finals bracket. If you advanced from losers, you will be put into the losers bracket. When the final bracket is constructed, everything may be re-seeded by location to help ensure that players from the same area do not face each other.

If you put it all together, it functions just like a full straight bracket. What organizing it in pools does however is let us run pools in waves, provides more accurate seeding, and re-seeding the bracket part way through the event to help avoid any location problems (I know how New England always happens to end up playing each other in bracket lol). I hope this will solve all of those problems, and make the event run faster.

JohnBan

Smash Rookie
We need more hype so Imma bring it...

You're all trash.

I'm getting first.

money match me kids

-bloodcross

PhilosoRaptor

Smash Rookie
I may need a partner for this. Who's down? I can use MK and Wario in doubles.
I may need one as well. I'm bringing two friends as well so they are probably gonna team. I g-a-w main but I can play r.o.b., ness, and snake decently in doubles. Unless of course you'd rather team with someone better which is understandable.

Also Chibo, what about crews? I didn't see it in your time schedule so does that mean its off or on our own time or something?

Xzax Kasrani

Smash Master
CoT6 Schedule

10:00am - Venue Opens & Signups
11:00am - Doubles Signups End, Bracket is made and ran shortly after
2:30pm - Singles Signups End
3:00pm - Singles Qualification Rounds Begin
7:00pm - Final Singles Bracket Begins (Approximately)

Here is the rough schedule. It is fairly simple, the main times you need to pay attention to is when you arrive to the venue, when doubles starts, and when singles starts. Even though singles signups end at 2:30pm, doubles will continue on until approximately 3:30 - 4pm based on entrants, and all remaining players will not have to play their pools matches until they are finished with doubles.

You'll notice my use of the terms qualification rounds for Singles instead of the standard pools. CoT6 will not run normal round robin pools, but instead bracket pools, which are like qualification rounds.

Bracket pools essentially runs the tournament as if it were straight bracket, but is very organized, runs faster, and allows players to be re-seeded by location part way through the bracket to ensure that players from the same area to not fight each other. It isn't something used by Smash often, though many tournaments have expressed interest in using it in the near future. It's very simple to understand, and will make the event run better. This is actually the system used by the Evolution 2K tournament, and you can find details on how they explain it here: http://evo.shoryuken.com/evo-player-guide/evo-tournament-format/

In short, this is how it will run. Players are still organized into pools just like the round robin system that Smashers are used to. However, instead of playing a round robin set in the pool, players play a double elimination bracket. For CoT6, the top 2 or 4 players will advance from each pool, based on how many entrants there are. If top 2 players advance, then players will play the double elimination bracket until Grand Finals, without playing it out. That way you have left one player in winners, and one player in losers. These two players advance to the final bracket. If top 4 players advance, you play up until Winners Finals and Losers Semis, so you have two players left in winners and two players left in losers, and these four players move onto the final bracket.

The final bracket is then made, and anyone who advanced from the qualification round in winners still will be put into the winners side in the finals bracket. If you advanced from losers, you will be put into the losers bracket. When the final bracket is constructed, everything may be re-seeded by location to help ensure that players from the same area do not face each other.

If you put it all together, it functions just like a full straight bracket. What organizing it in pools does however is let us run pools in waves, provides more accurate seeding, and re-seeding the bracket part way through the event to help avoid any location problems (I know how New England always happens to end up playing each other in bracket lol). I hope this will solve all of those problems, and make the event run faster.
why are you doing bracket pools? i dont think this is even going to break 100 people.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
What time is the stream for this going to start? And is it going to start two hours late like it did at Zenith last weekend?
No it won't, we switched to a new storage place for our TVs which is right next to the venue, not a half hour away which really slowed things down. I would estimate around 11a.

Chibo I agree with xzax, why do bracket pools with not that many people and it may take longer. Just do straight bracket so you have time for crews
It won't take longer. I actually took the time to explain bracket pools to him last night. Bracket pools is roughly the same time needed as straight bracket, and possibly faster if ran right.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
Reminder everyone!
Bring setups! $5 back for every Wii and Brawl we use. You do not need to bring any TVs, we already own all of the TVs required for the tournament.

mib004

Smash Ace
Reminder everyone!
Bring setups! $5 back for every Wii and Brawl we use. You do not need to bring any TVs, we already own all of the TVs required for the tournament.
Terrence said he has a Wii and brawl but its a copied disk not a hacked game or anything just copied he says can he use it.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
Cool by me lol *shifty eyes*

And yo I'm mad hyped Squall is coming. I hope he's been practicing, I want to see him get top 8!

edit:

Anyone want to chip in and get a hotel room Saturday night after the tournament to party it up in? I'm down for a CoT6 after party!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom